X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurant Name: Dublin Wine Rooms
    Price Range: €€€

Review:

On a freezing cold and wet Friday afternoon I found myself soaked at the bottom of Grafton St. waiting on my dining companion.
    The Porterhouse was our designated rendezvous point and a swift pint of Oyster Stout set the foundation for a very unproductive afternoon.
    Fuck it, Friday is Friday I thought before ordering another.
    Shaun is a larger than life internet entrepreneur who had been boring the hole off me talking about a new product he was shortly unveiling.
    At 50% Fr. Stone and 50% 1920's Chicago gangster Sean tends to either intimidate or amuse when he holds court.

We arrived at 1:30 to a heaving Dublin Winerooms where we met our host Brendan.

I was on a sourcing mission for a local hotel and Shauns polar opposite taste in wine was being used as a buffer to stop me being backed into a corner by a persuasive salesman.
    Immediately we were ushered to a quiet table where we were introduced to our Sommelier, Max.
    The secret to this place we found out was to order your wine first and the Sommelier would suggest some food for you.
    It was a weird concept but one we warmed to quickly.

As we were tasting a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc Max recommended the scallops. Characteristically refusing the stalls Shaun opted for the Soup.
    The Scallops were cooked to perfection. Moist and sweet in the centre I could have stayed there all day.
    The Sauv Blanc was unique in that it didn't taste like the usual gooseberry fest I've slowly grown to love.
    It was a taste I'd never encountered before.
    For the life of me I couldn't put my finger on what it reminded me of until Max broke into the conversation with a wry smile.

Pickled watermelon,sir?

This fucker knew his shit. I was impressed and he knew it.

We went on to sample some Chardonnay to which Max suggested the Seabass. This time Shaun played ball and we both got stuck in.

For dessert (wine) we opted for a Sauterness. Max returned with an impressive Cheeseboard.
    The aged Blue Stilton was simply a triumph.

After dessert the real fun began. We were introduced to the owner who, like Shaun, bored the hole off me with his ramblings.
    My interest was piqued when he handed me what looked like a credit card and invited us to sample some wines from an impressive contraption.
    The contraption in question was an automated tasting machine.
    It contained about 20 wines and one could choose from three measures: Tasting, small glass and large glass.
    Well Shaun got stuck right in. Max walked us through each tasting but not at all in a patronising way.
    Then Shaun astounded me with the most unnessessary of angleshoots I've ever seen.
    He found a near empty bottle on the rack and chose a large glass. The fucker looked like a kid whos balloon had been burst when the bottle ran dry.
    Max, sensing his disappointment opened another bottle and poured him another large glass. I was mortified.
    By the time the card ran out, along with our sobriety and welcome, Max called us a taxi and we headed off into the mid afternoon hustle and bustle.
    Halfway through the train journey Shaun leaned into me and asked 'Did you see how I got an extra glass of wine?'
    'I did Shaun, you're a prick' I snapped.

Ordinarily that would have been a sweet move but the fact that the whole afternoon was being comped just cheapened the experience.
    I got a call a few days later to invite me back and have decided to bring an IPB'er with me next time.

The rules of engagement are:

1.) You must have written at least two reviews in the restaurant review thread previous to the time this offer has been posted.
    2.) You must genuinely like wine.
    3.) You must dress either exceptionally or absurdly. Chavs need not apply.
    4.) You must be available on a Friday afternoon for some divilment.

All interested parties hit 'like' now. Winner will be chosen by the following criteria:

* Potential Divilment
    * Dress sense
    * wine Appreciation
    * Eh, writing skills

Comment

Gonna close off the above by 5pm today. Hit like to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
        Gonna close off the above by 5pm today. Hit like to be considered.
        Don't consider me, I just liked the post

Comment

Didn't you say before that the best dressed person from IPB was HJ? You should bring him imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Didn't you say before that the best dressed person from IPB was HJ? You should bring him imo.
            Potential Divilment X
            Dress sense
            wine Appreciation X
            Eh, writing skills

Beside that I believe he has already consumed his free lunch

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
              Don't consider me, I just liked the post
              Reverso. I like it.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

It's been a tough one but based on the aforementioned criteria I decree both GAB and Raoul Duke III to be the winners. Well done, Will let you know available dates.

Comment

Horsehead elite strikes again
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Evidence
                    Attached Files

Comment

Evidence
                      would have scored highly in divilment and wine appreciation, not so much in the other two, although i could have made an effort and worn my brioni suit worn by non other than james bond

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                        It's a fix, I demand a bottle of Mouton Rothschild
                        imo

Comment

@GAB How did you get on at MacNean House?

Going there just after Paddy's day.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                            The food is excellent in both but I prefer Crowe street. The service is snappier imo but it's probably marginal. Anyway enjoy it. I recommend the kidneys with cream and mustard starter!
                            Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            I've eaten in both and Crowe street is by far superior in my honest opinion.
                            Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                            Since he's already booked I was playing nice.

The last time I was in Crowe street I was chatting to the waitress and I told her that they were far superior to the other place and that they should tell them to pull up their socks. She was thrilled to hear it.
                            Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                            Going to Pembroke Street on Saturday then on to the leinster game. I'll tell them the opposite.
                            Crowe St. is a nice bit ahead on TA coming in at a respectable 15. The reason I checked them out is I'm going to Dublin with herself in April so will be a nice treat for us.

Comment

seeing as I was there last night on Shraps recommendation , I'll review it

Restaurant Name: FXB
                              Price Range: €€

Early bird menu 19.95 for two courses

Had a table booked for 2 at 5pm. The waiter was very very friendly , possibly one of the friendliest I have ever met ! Love the way throughout the convo he used my name.
                              We were looking at the drinks menu deciding on what wine we wanted but decided to go for a cocktail instead, I said to the cousin that the cocktail would have fuck all alcohol in it and for 12 quid , I reckon we should just get the wine. anyway the cocktail won. Well I was wrong. cant remember the name but it was a Proscecco one .

For starters we both had the Baby Back Pork Ribs, they were lovely and tender and the sauce they were in was lovely too, barbeque I think. Im not a big fan of ribs , I was a bit disappointed that there wasnt a bigger variety on the starter menu.

For the main we both had 10oz F.X.BUCKLEY Rib Eye Steak 28 Day Dry-Aged (€5.00 supplement)
 Lisa had pepper sauce , I went for béarnaise sauce for a change. we both had chips and also ordered some Crispy Cajun Onions. She had her steak rare to meduim . I went for medium . When mine was put in front of me she says " I'd say thats mine as it doesnt look medium." Then hers came out it was more or less the same. So both imo were rare to medium , so I think they got that wrong. In fairness it didnt bother me at all as it was absolutely delish!

We ordered another cocktail a french martini , wow I will deffo be making these at some point as my new favourite liqueur Chambord was one of the ingredients along with raspberry vodka and pineapple.

Over all It was a lovely experience, I loved the way they brought out all the cuts of meat before the meal. The staff are excellent.

The whole meal inc a few cocktails came to 96 Euro which I thought was very very reasonable .

we paid the bill and then decided ah fuck it lets have one more french martini

Will deffo go back some night with himself!

Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                it's lovely - that was my second time there - first time I stayed, this time was Sunday Lunch. Would recommend without hesitation.
                                He comes across a bit "Eoin mc love" on telly, what is the ambience in the restaurant like?
                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Was thinking of heading to Saba with the missus at the weekend but seeing RDIII's scathing review I think not!

Anyone recommend something along same line ie: Thai cuisine for a good meal?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                    Was thinking of heading to Saba with the missus at the weekend but seeing RDIII's scathing review I think not!

Anyone recommend something along same line ie: Thai cuisine for a good meal?
                                    Diep Le Shaker on Pembroke Lane?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                      Diep Le Shaker on Pembroke Lane?
                                      Cheers.

Was gonna head out Sat and then had to change to Sun, obviously ring to book and they are closed for some reason on Sun! Will def keep it in mind for next time heading out tho

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                        Cheers.

Was gonna head out Sat and then had to change to Sun, obviously ring to book and they are closed for some reason on Sun! Will def keep it in mind for next time heading out tho
                                        Haven't been but the Chili Club beside the SE could be ok? Decent bars nearby too. Anyone been? Looks decent.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                          Haven't been but the Chili Club beside the SE could be ok? Decent bars nearby too. Anyone been? Looks decent.
                                          Have eaten there before but must be 5 or 6 years ago now, was pretty nice from what I recall. Quite the cosy environment

Comment

Ended up going to Fade Street Social on Sunday, will try get do a proper review of it in next few days.

Place was nice if bit noisy, thought it would be a bit more suited to couples/small parties but wasn't really the case. Food was pretty good apart from desserts, nice wine and service was excellent. Ended up on the early bird menu as the GF has selected courses that matched that so I chose off it too and good value I thought. Would go back again

Comment

ATT: RDIII

Could be interesting..

Comment

MacNean House - behind the scenes

Arrived at about 12.30 at the front door of MacNean House. The door was opened and we were ushered into the bar. Once we had sat down we were offered a glass of Prosecco. Was nice and relaxed and we were shown to the dining room before 1.00pm where a menu was folded on our napkins.

The choice of starter was :-

Ryefield Goats Cheese
                                                Fritter, Cannelloni, Pickled Beetroot & Basil Panna Cotta

Warm Ham Hock Terrine

Celeriac Remolade, Black Garlic & Pickled Beech Mushrooms

Crab Ravioli

Prawn Katafi, Sauce Vierge & Thai Broth

-----------------
                                                Passion Fruit Jelly
                                                Organic Yoghurt and dehydrated Yoghurt
                                                -----------------
                                                The Mains were :-
                                                Dry Aged Beef Point End
                                                Feather Blade, Glazed Pearl Onions & Cepe Foam

Rump of Local Lamb
                                                Braised Shoulder & Red Pepper Cous Cous

Halibut
                                                Cassolette of Beans, Baby Vegetables & Chorizo Veloute

Served with a selection of Fresh Irish Vegetables & Potatoes

-------------------

Assiete of MacNean Desserts
                                                Chocolate Delice, Raspberry Shortcake, Key Lime Pie, Coffee Parfait & Raspberry Sorbet

A selection of breads came out on a wooden tray. Had a sample of each of them and they were all really nice. We then had a sweet potato and coconut soup which was unusually thick for a soup but tasted really nice.

SPOILER

SPOILER

I chose the Ham Hock for starters and it was beautiful. I have never had black garlic before and it was really nice. Sweeter than I thought it was going to be.

SPOILER

SPOILER

I had the lamb for my main and had it medium rare. It was amazing. My friend had the halibut and she was equally impressed. There was a potato gratin dish that was to die for. Not sure what was in it but will find out as one of his chef's is in my class.

SPOILER
                                                [IMG]

Throwing in a picture of the halibut..

SPOILER
                                                [URL=http://s122.photobucket.com/user/gcarr1972/media/2014-03-27140148.jpg.html]

The desserts were just as impressive as the rest of the food. My only complaint was the shortcake, didn't taste like shortcake! But I like my shortcake and I am particularly fussy!

SPOILER

After the meal Neven came out and did a lovely speech. He was talking about how the role of a chef has changed and that it is not a profession that gains respect unlike the way they were viewed 50 years ago. He told us about the Cookery School which is next door and how he is now at the restaurant more and more because of this as he teaches in the school. He is a really nice guy and he gave us all a signed copy of his book to take away.

We then were split into groups to take a tour of the place. I started off in the kitchen. My own sitting room at home is almost as big as it and I was so shocked to see 14 chef's work in such a small area. The place runs like clockwork though and you have your work station and you kind of stay where you are. I had been moaning about the Pastry section that I work in being small with a large bench and here was two working at a tiny work station!

The equipment was pretty good but there is not loads of hi tech machines which is what I expected. The system there is that you have a job, be it fish or canapes and you work on that day in day out. The area for plating up was one of the bigger sections and that was beside the heat lamps for service. I have never seen so many bottles of puree's and sauce in my life and I would imagine that job is tough as the head chef Glen wont let a plate go out that doesn't have the puree dot in the exact place it is meant to be.

His staff have been there a good while and they all work as a team, it really seems to be an amazing place to work. I know if I wanted I can get a 3 day experience session in the kitchen if I approached the college. He does that regular. Non paying but you are being paid in something much better as you would learn so much in 3 days to set you up.

We then had a tour of the new cookery school. This was lovely. Not like the kitchens we work in that are all stainless steel. They are pastel colour in the frame kitchens and he does a Chef's table in there as well. The school kitchen is much bigger than the restaurant kitchen and would be a lovely place to cook. I would love to go for one of the sessions which is about €265 for a day in the school.

The last place we were taken was the gardens. He has two large tunnels and about 4 raised beds where he does his own herbs, rhubarbs, tomatoes, cabbage etc. The gardener is very enthusiastic about his job and he has a system to keep the plants going all year round to supply the kitchen with fresh home grown produce.

He talked about why he doesn't have a Michelin star. He really does not need it and he said it would be worse to have one and to have it taken away. They put constraints on potions etc and he said he would not like them to dictate what goes on the plate. He has no weekend bookings for the rest of the year and there are some midweek bookings for October. So I think he made the right choice.

The college paid a large proportion of today's meal and it was well worth the money. There was not one thing that I had did I not enjoy and it has given me a good push to excel in my studies and try to achieve the standard of presentation that the kitchen put out.

Sorry for such a long ramble, but I think it was good to see what happens in the heart of the house for a change

here is the man himself..

SPOILER

Comment

Restaurant Name:FX Buckley

Website:http://pembroke.fxbuckley.ie/

So, after dragging my girlfriend to Dublin so I could play a side tourney at the IO, I went looking for a nice restaurant at short notice so I could treat her after busting out. Stephen McClean recommended FXB's.

When I arrived outside I immediately liked the look of the restaurant and thought we would enjoy it. How right I was. Small downstairs area with a tastefully organised fridge full of meat. And the tables aren't cramped, which is always a bonus in a busy restaurant. I'm not sure about upstairs seating but the bathrooms are located at the top of the stairs and were clean and smelt fresh.

Rang them at 6pm for a table for two and was very politely told that they could fit us in but had a booking for 8pm. Not a problem for me. After I gave my OH the location, she got a taxi and she was taken to the wrong restaurant but they rang ahead and told us she was on the way, a nice gesture.

I opted for the "All evening menu" at €29.95 and I felt I got fantastic value for money. The black pudding croquette to start was something I've never had but I could have eaten a lot more it was so good. Sirloin cooked MR for the main was cooked to perfection accompanied by creamy mash potato and thick but creamy peppercorn sauce. And the Blueberry cheesecake for dessert ensured I left more than full!

All of this was washed down by 2 bottles of O' Haras Irish Pale Ale (herself doesn't drink) and the restaurant comped the drinks because of the taxi mix up and they needed the table. We were not expecting it but it was a fantastic gesture.

My OH is a very picky eater which has resulted in some awkward restaurant experiences but not here. Everything she asked for was well received and nothing was a problem. She only had main and dessert. She said her well done fillet was perfect and she couldn't fault it, a first for her! And a simple portion of Ice Cream for dessert was nice.

The names of the manager and the gentleman who shows you the meat escapes me at the moment but I think Joe organised the comped drinks and kudos to all on a well run restaurant with great service from phone call to bill!! I cannot wait to return again and every time I visit Dublin, this will be my "go to" place for dinner.

Total bill minus the drinks and tip came to €73.40 I think so with drinks plus tip would be more like €100 which is fantastic value imo for the top class service and food you get.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                    Restaurant Name:FX Buckley

Website:http://pembroke.fxbuckley.ie/

So, after dragging my girlfriend to Dublin so I could play a side tourney at the IO, I went looking for a nice restaurant at short notice so I could treat her after busting out. Stephen McClean recommended FXB's.

When I arrived outside I immediately liked the look of the restaurant and thought we would enjoy it. How right I was. Small downstairs area with a tastefully organised fridge full of meat. And the tables aren't cramped, which is always a bonus in a busy restaurant. I'm not sure about upstairs seating but the bathrooms are located at the top of the stairs and were clean and smelt fresh.

Rang them at 6pm for a table for two and was very politely told that they could fit us in but had a booking for 8pm. Not a problem for me. After I gave my OH the location, she got a taxi and she was taken to the wrong restaurant but they rang ahead and told us she was on the way, a nice gesture.

I opted for the "All evening menu" at €29.95 and I felt I got fantastic value for money. The black pudding croquette to start was something I've never had but I could have eaten a lot more it was so good. Sirloin cooked MR for the main was cooked to perfection accompanied by creamy mash potato and thick but creamy peppercorn sauce. And the Blueberry cheesecake for dessert ensured I left more than full!

All of this was washed down by 2 bottles of O' Haras Irish Pale Ale (herself doesn't drink) and the restaurant comped the drinks because of the taxi mix up and they needed the table. We were not expecting it but it was a fantastic gesture.

My OH is a very picky eater which has resulted in some awkward restaurant experiences but not here. Everything she asked for was well received and nothing was a problem. She only had main and dessert. She said her well done fillet was perfect and she couldn't fault it, a first for her! And a simple portion of Ice Cream for dessert was nice.

The names of the manager and the gentleman who shows you the meat escapes me at the moment but I think Joe organised the comped drinks and kudos to all on a well run restaurant with great service from phone call to bill!! I cannot wait to return again and every time I visit Dublin, this will be my "go to" place for dinner.

Total bill minus the drinks and tip came to €73.40 I think so with drinks plus tip would be more like €100 which is fantastic value imo for the top class service and food you get.
                                                    Black pudding croquette confirmed fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                      her well done fillet

Comment

Yeah I know. I died a little inside when she ordered it but her family eat their steak cremated and she refuses to cook it any different. I cooked fillef at home a few weeks ago and the dog got hers cos I cooked it medium well, it had a hint of pink and she refused it. She's a saint of a woman though so that's why she gets away with it

Comment

A short review of the Lady Helen in Kilkenny on the grounds of Mount Juliet.

Myself and my better half decided to try the tasting menu at the Lady Helen on Saturday night.

The location is excellent overlooking the course in a fine hotel with a beautiful main dining room.

The number of diners was small with a Max of 36 on the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend which was suggestive. We arrived for 8.30 and were seated immediately.

The 8 course tasting menu is 75 per head plus accompanying wine for an additional 35 which we didn't try. We had the tasting menu as per the sample menu on their website except we had a coconut parfait desert.

We were warmly greeted and seated etc but the service was patchy with 5 of the 6 different servers attending us at different stages. Little things slipped through the cracks as a result and only 2 of the 5 servers were at the standard I'd expect. The maître di was poor and really got my goat by giving me the bill before we'd even poured our tea at the end of the evening at 10.30. Not exactly late!! 4 out of 10 for service.

The food was in general good with the scallops, cod and desert being the highlights but nothing amazing and reasonably simple cooking if good combinations and flavours. The duck was poor. Good accompanying veg and sauce but the duck skin was rubbery and the meat bland which is hard to fuck up. I had the sense of a menu created for easy assembly by underlings. Nothing stand out nor particularly memorable. Food 6 out of 10.

In summary nice location, decent food and flaky service.

Would I go again? No. I'd hit Campagne in Kilkenny city instead.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Disappointing about the LH. I worked there circa 1998 and things must have have seriously gone downhill as far as service standard. They even had a section in the SOP manual on how to tuck in your shirt. Good Days!

Comment

Disappointing about the LH. I worked there circa 1998 and things must have have seriously gone downhill as far as service standard. They even had a section in the SOP manual on how to tuck in your shirt. Good Days!
                                                              As I said some of the staff were good but in general it was sloppy.

It was probably more an issue with front of house management and how things are organised than anything else. As a former waiter myself I know the difference good systems make to allow the staff do their job.

Maybe it's a case of not having enough customers so sloppy behaviour creeps in.

I wouldn't say they should automatically lose their star (unlike Lock's brasserie which was a disgrace after they got the star) but it's near the bottom of the one stars for me and they charge a full price.

MrsV said I wasn't to be too harsh in my review*, but I said I didn't want to get a reputation for GAB style glowing reviews that subsequently fail to live up to his eloquent prose!!

*She did think I was fair when she read it.
                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Restaurant Name: Campo De Fiori
                                                                Location: 1 Albert Avenue Bray, Co. Wicklow
                                                                Website: http://www.campodefiori.ie/

Back in the Game

After a year of Ball and Chain misery I have finally been officially released back into the wild.
                                                                There was only one thing for it and that was to get back up on the horse, as it were.
                                                                Well back in the saddle at least.

This next little beauty was acquired at The Last Chance Saloon A.K.A The Taj Mahal Tandori circa 3am.
                                                                Details were sketchy but managed to seal the deal and woke up in a haze beside a lady who was...not from these shores.
                                                                She was not as I had remembered from the previous night.
                                                                For starters it became apparant that she wore a wig,toupee whatever the fuck you call it nowadays.
                                                                I thought her hair seemed very straight for someone of her ethniticity.
                                                                We decided to go for breakfast but seeing as it was already 1pm we opted to go on a mystery tour instead.
                                                                Jesus my back hurt. It seemed bruised but more of that later.

Anyway we decided to go for a walk on the seafront in Bray.
                                                                This was an indication of my intent. She was not the type of chick you'd bring to Teddys in Dun Laoghaire. This was a chick you'd bring to Bray.
                                                                What was up with my back? Still painful.
                                                                We hit the cocktails in the Porterhouse hard before making a beeline for Campo De Fiori, a nice little Italian joint recommended to me by a fellow IPBer.
                                                                Winner of Readers' Choice award at the Food and Wine Magazine/Penfolds Restaurant of the Year awards, 2011 it was impossible to book a table and we were told to call back later by two buffoon waiters who seemed afraid of the reservation book.

We got the nod about 30 mins later when the rang us and took our table which had an unfortunate view over the promenade.
                                                                I didn't really know what type of cuisine she was into and could see no plumpeynut or yam on the menu so suggested
                                                                the Spinach souffle followed by the Steak.Not wanting to court apartheid I opted for the same.
                                                                As she demolished the souffle I got another flash of those unnervingly white teeth.
                                                                Why is it the Irish have a naturally off white dental sheen while someone who's 'not of these shores' have an immaculate set of pearly dazzlers?
                                                                Was it their diet or did they have nothing to do all day but sit around committing bank fraud and brushing their choppers?
                                                                I admire a chefs confidence to place souffle on the menu. So much can and will go wrong especially on a busy night.
                                                                The parmasan sauce set the whole dish off in a distinctly Italian direction.
                                                                She didn't seem to enjoy it but what the hell did she know? Plumpynut indeed.

The Steak had a slight hint of rosemary which was an unusual twist. Cooked almost to perfection I wasn't going to be an ass and send it back.
                                                                My only gripe was the overservice.
                                                                Buffoon waiter number two insisted upon silver serving the veg and potato where there was no need.
                                                                Sweating like a knacker doing the Leaving Cert seemed an apt way to describe the state he was in as the Restaurant was now full to capacity.
                                                                As I twisted and turned in the chair she asked me how my back was today. Bingo. Green light to ask her what the hell happened.
                                                                Apparantly, in a scene that Hitch would be proud of, I jumped the taxi queue the night before and some mad one started beating me with her high heel.
                                                                Well that explains that.

Dessert, again a recommendation by the manager was another very pleasant dining experience. It consisted of an assiette of mixed fruits stuffed with sorbet.
                                                                The twist was that the orange was filled with orange coloured sorbet but tasted like strawberry. The lime was filled with green sorbet but tasted like banana etc.
                                                                Such a well thought out dish as I often find that dessert is often overlooked by many chefs. Bill including 6 glasses of prosecco came to €150 including a generous tip.
                                                                Make no mistake. these people know what they're at.
                                                                I nearly didn't want to write this review and keep this place all to myself but where's the fun in that.
                                                                It was the first dining experience whereby I nearly wept when it had finished.
                                                                Although maybe that was the fucking stiletto marks on my back.

The next morning for a split second I thought about stealing her wig but then considered the poor girl travelling home on the dart with a head like P-Diddy so decided against it.
                                                                It would have made some awesome kind of scalp trophy but maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

A strong 8.5/10

Marks lost for buffonery

Comment

This shouldnt be the image people have of you
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

That review is pretty problematic imo.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                      That review is pretty problematic imo.
                                                                      A horse of thorough breed shall not be dishonoured by his saddle

Comment

One for the foodies. If you were given a blank canvass unit in which to open a restaurant of your choice.What style of restaurant (food,decor,service) would you choose? Location is midlands town.

Comment

One for the foodies. If you were given a blank canvass unit in which to open a restaurant of your choice.What style of restaurant (food,decor,service) would you choose? Location is midlands town.
                                                                          Nandos

Comment

Balls, so apart from going down the franchisee route any thoughts?

Comment

I think outside of the big cities, it's as well keeping things as simple as possible.

In Sligo, there have been a number of restaurants open, and close, in the past few years that tried too hard, or tried to bring something to a market that wasn't receptive to it.

The restaurants that have been successful have produced simple, but quality, food. I think steak/seafood (not sure how seafood would go in Midlands) with emphasis on simple, quality food. Decor and service should match, well presented and welcoming staff, without any fuss or pretension. Local produce, simple small menu, attentive/welcoming staff and a willingness to work hard and promote well. Don't think there's any magic formula, apart from serious grind and a pride in the quality you're producing.

Comment

Plumpy'nut ftw.
                                                                                The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

One of the nicest restaurant experiences I had recently was in my own work. I stayed the night with two friends and the Head Chef asked me if we wanted to see the menu or cook something off menu.

We chose off menu and told him any allergies and strong dislikes. We had 4 courses of fabulous food and the chef enjoyed himself more as he was able to be creative.

So.. I would like a place that has some options on the menu where the main ingredients are there and you pick them and the chef makes you something with them in it. Keeps the kitchen happy and Happy Chefs make better food

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                    One of the nicest restaurant experiences I had recently was in my own work. I stayed the night with two friends and the Head Chef asked me if we wanted to see the menu or cook something off menu.

We chose off menu and told him any allergies and strong dislikes. We had 4 courses of fabulous food and the chef enjoyed himself more as he was able to be creative.

So.. I would like a place that has some options on the menu where the main ingredients are there and you pick them and the chef makes you something with them in it. Keeps the kitchen happy and Happy Chefs make better food
                                                                                    Great idea, might be good for chefs table kind of setup or a treat for regulars.
                                                                                    I know we used to serve off menu for regulars in the Merrion.

Comment

There's a few valid points in this article. 2 + 4 are things I have noticed whilst out and aboot.

Comment

Awesome read.
                                                                                        Tempted to post a mystery guest report I did on a place over Xmas with another IPBer.

Comment

Looking for a recommendation for a weekend dinner in Galway where drinks can also be enjoyed post-food.

Comment

Supermacs

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                              Supermacs
                                                                                              Have one already rechristened 'Superknacs'
                                                                                              Also our local McDonalds is colloquially known as 'McDonaghs'

Comment

Give me the money you would have spent.

Spend a year bursting your boll1x working on something frustrating and mind numbing and at the end of the period I'll give you half your money back.

You'll be ahead of the game.

Comment

Beside the Credit Union?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                    Beside the Credit Union?
                                                                                                    Yup, PM or FB me.

Comment

I went to Bunsen Burger a few weeks ago on a Thursday. When we got there we were told half an hour to wait, went to pub and got a text when table was free. In the hour we were eating there, I'd say 50 people came and left as they were full. In that hour, we spent €20 per person on burger, chips and a beer.

So yeah, copy that

Comment

Originally posted by HiCloy View Post
                                                                                                        I went to Bunsen Burger a few weeks ago on a Thursday. When we got there we were told half an hour to wait, went to pub and got a text when table was free. In the hour we were eating there, I'd say 50 people came and left as they were full. In that hour, we spent €20 per person on burger, chips and a beer.

So yeah, copy that
                                                                                                        Funny you should say that was thinking about a Pimp My Burger type effort like http://www.thecounterburger.com/dublin_suffolk_street/

Comment

Originally posted by HiCloy View Post

So yeah, copy that
                                                                                                          Big difference between Wexford St and a midlands town.

Comment

Eddie Rockets type place?

Any time Ive gone to cinema in Blanch or Liffey Valley always been big queues.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Octopussys
                                                                                                              Location: Howth
                                                                                                              Website: http://www.octopussys.ie/

In a predictably doomed attempt to civilise some of the more culchie elements of IPB, I procured some tickets to the recent Ireland-Sri Lanka cricket match and invited various deviant individuals to the game. I say 'predictably doomed', not solely because of the irredeemable characters of my guests, but rather due to my propensity for inviting rain in vast quantities whenever I am foolish enough to buy tickets to an Ireland cricket match. For example, I bought tickets to Ireland versus Australia in Stormont two years ago and journeyed North in great anticipation. I saw six balls.

In any case, the heavens opened prodigiously on the morning in question and having arrived at the ground to find play out of the question, it didn't take much inveigling on my part to lure the sole IPBer remaining to ditch the sodden surrounds of Clontarf cricket club in favour of piscatorial pursuits in Howth. We duly bombed out the coast road in his Beemer and parked up on the quay in Howth at 11.55am. Our favoured choice for dining, the Oarhouse, was unpromisingly locked to the great unwashed but luckily the next door establishment, Octopussys, appeared to be open for business and got our vote. This was a bit of a bonus for me as I had been intending a visit here for years but had never managed it.

Octopussys (continuing the tradition of appalling names hereabouts begun by the Oarhouse) styles itself as a 'seafood tapas' establishment. Unfortunately, this was most evidenced in the furnishings as the seating options seemed to universally consist of high stools. Not a problem for my athletic companion and my creaking limbs also managed to clamber atop a stool but this does rule out Octopussys for the elderly, the infirm and the very young. Which is a shame as it's not a bad place. The bubbly blonde proprietress greeted us effusively and gave us a window-side view of the harbour. The menu was promising, featuring as it did several specials scrawled on a mirror by the door. I selected razor clams and prawns pil-pil while my companion nabbed the John Dory. We amused ourself by spotting seals heads bobbing up and down in the grimy-looking waters and also congratulated ourselves on being the youngest patrons in the joint. Having just turned forty the week before, I took this as a personal triumph.

Our selections met with universal acclaim. I didn't get to taste the John Dory but it disappeared fast enough to advertise its merits. Not a fish that you see that often around these parts which is undoubtedly a shame. The prawns pil-pil were heavily flavoured with garlic, chili, tomato and good olive oil. Which is as it they should be. What was even better was that the prawns were properly fresh Dublin Bay crustaceans and not the manky Asian yokes which infest far too many menus. Excellent. I was eager to try the razor clams as I had never eaten them in Ireland before. Italians treasure them as a delicacy and I was reminded why when these arrived, sautéed lightly and diced in the shell with some pancetta. Superb, although I could have eaten many more than the two large specimens I was presented with.

We were still not sated at this juncture so summoned Blondie to order seconds. The Culchie Cricket Cub ordered a red curry with chips and I went for the Roaring Water Bay Mussels. Both hit the spot although I detected a satisfied glint in the eye of the Culchie that told me he had made the better choice. We finished with desserts, I made the mistake of going for the chocolate Brownie which was below par but the crème brulee was received with appreciation. A glass of chardonnay, an espresso and a pot of tea completed the repast for €45 each, including tip.

As the sun was now dappling Howth Head with light, we motored back towards Clontarf with the certainty of seeing some cricket for the afternoon. Until I got a call from another deviant:
                                                                                                              "what happened?"
                                                                                                              "the sun came out and they called it off".

Only in Ireland. We detoured to the Yacht pub instead where we spent a pleasant afternoon and early evening talking seven shades of shite with a varied group of cricket devotees. Probably an improvement on the game.

7.5/10

Comment

Big difference between Wexford St and a midlands town.
                                                                                                                at least they'd know what to do with hipsters in a midland town

Comment

I think outside of the big cities, it's as well keeping things as simple as possible.

In Sligo, there have been a number of restaurants open, and close, in the past few years that tried too hard, or tried to bring something to a market that wasn't receptive to it.

The restaurants that have been successful have produced simple, but quality, food. I think steak/seafood (not sure how seafood would go in Midlands) with emphasis on simple, quality food. Decor and service should match, well presented and welcoming staff, without any fuss or pretension. Local produce, simple small menu, attentive/welcoming staff and a willingness to work hard and promote well. Don't think there's any magic formula, apart from serious grind and a pride in the quality you're producing.
                                                                                                                  Squeeky bum time, signing lease tomorrow. Should be completely bald in 6 months.

Comment

Squeeky bum time, signing lease tomorrow. Should be completely broke in 6 months.
                                                                                                                    FYP IMO
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      FYP IMO
                                                                                                                      With the greatest of respect I really hope to prove you wrong. IM shitting myself and have put most of my eggs into this basket so failure is not an option. Must organise a horsehead elite night when I get settled.

Comment

With the greatest of respect I really hope to prove you wrong. IM shitting myself and have put most of my eggs into this basket so failure is not an option. Must organise a horsehead elite night when I get settled.
                                                                                                                        Where is it and what's your plan for it?

Comment

Under the casino in Mullingar. Want to do seafood,pasta,pimped pizza kinda stuff with high end cocktails. Don't think the locals are ready for fine dining so gonna have a relaxed feel to it. Any suggestions for names?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X