Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The x-axis of that graph being divided into 14s is quite tilting.

No y-axis label...too much unused white space....35% must try harder.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      How many presidents haven't had a 'record high' on the Dow during their presidency?
      Saw this recently:

Just took a glance and it would appear that the only presidents in the last 60 years without record highs were Nixon and Carter in the 70s, and Bush Snr likely due to the 1987 crash/Raegan bubble bursting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        You're confusing really basic stuff here. Expectations at a particular point in time are not proven wrong just because reality turns out differently.

I read this three times and can't get what this means so must be rubbish?.

Seems to be saying, for example, expectations for Liverpool to win the title at a particular point of time were not proven wrong just because they didn't win the title? Which is clearly nonsense.
        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Seems to be saying, for example, expectations for Liverpool to win the title at a particular point of time were not proven wrong just because they didn't win the title? Which is clearly nonsense.
          I believe a real-life example from the popular card game of poker might help here think Hitch is saying that it's possible to make a +EV play (e.g. sitting in the Sporting circa 2012, it's folded around to the Chief in the SB, he jams his 200BB stack into the pot, splashing like crazy. You're the BB with a 50BB stack and look down at AK suited, you insta-call. Unsurprisingly, the Chief is holding K3o. Equally unsurprisingly, the board runs out A333K. Sigh and repeat 3x/week for the next few years) that doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Comment

Expectations are all relative to be honest. Expectation that Man City win the title now are very reasonable, but if by some weird series of events they didn't, it doesn't mean that it was an unreasonable expectation. If someone is currently expecting Liverpool to win the title, which is mathematically possible but they ridiculously long shot, then that was not reasonable.

Comment

Zuutroy, surely you’d have some recourse against the engineer who signed it off prior to the sale?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                Expectations are all relative to be honest. Expectation that Man City win the title now are very reasonable, but if by some weird series of events they didn't, it doesn't mean that it was an unreasonable expectation. If someone is currently expecting Liverpool to win the title, which is mathematically possible but they ridiculously long shot, then that was not reasonable.
                Next year.

Comment

You're confusing really basic stuff here. Expectations at a particular point in time are not proven wrong just because reality turns out differently.
                  In poker that might make sense where the maths can be evaulated properly. Anyone making a bet on the outcome of the hand could work out the correct odds.

In most situations it can't e.g. Political therefore the expectation was wrong. Hence the value in the market for the sharps.

Comment

You get that I'm talking about election night right? And the expectations that he'd tank the market that night, and the initial trades that happened?

Comment

Not watching pictures but it does seem Ireland are giving the runs away very easily.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Wide slow ball bouncer with no slips...

Ya, that's a plan

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                          I get what your saying however reasonableness don't come into play. In both scenario the expectations were proven wrong, as the expected results didn't happen. Its the ultimate results based thinking.
                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                            Next year.
                            Obviously!

Comment

I get what your saying however reasonableness don't come into play. In both scenario the expectations were proven wrong, as the expected results didn't happen. Its the ultimate results based thinking.
                              Slightly off point.
                              Tis all about interest rates innit. Surely now they will creep up . 1st sign and the market dives like a zuutroy plane after his rusty engine get waived out of the hanger.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                Zuutroy, surely you’d have some recourse against the engineer who signed it off prior to the sale?
                                Yea I might but the thoughts of the battle don't fill me with glee.

Comment

Believe it or not Pokerhand's issue is a big issue in the field of epistemology.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                    Believe it or not Pokerhand's issue is a big issue in the field of epistemology.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/future-contingents/
                                    Our most regular future contingent is Hotspur will be along to enlighten us.

Reading that now, got to...
                                    Finally, it should be mentioned that temporal logic has found a remarkable application in computer science and applied mathematics (see Hasle and Øhrstrøm 2004).
                                    Ok says I. that sounds good, I'll read that... it costs $270, quite a causal see does not belong there for the layman

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                      I believe a real-life example from the popular card game of poker might help here think Hitch is saying that it's possible to make a +EV play (e.g. sitting in the Sporting circa 2012, it's folded around to the Chief in the SB, he jams his 200BB stack into the pot, splashing like crazy. You're the BB with a 50BB stack and look down at AK suited, you insta-call. Unsurprisingly, the Chief is holding K3o. Equally unsurprisingly, the board runs out A333K. Sigh and repeat 3x/week for the next few years) that doesn't work out for whatever reason.
                                      Using "The Chief" as an analogy to explain Trump!!!
                                      You've certainly scared the bejasus out of me.

Comment

Roger Stone is so fucked.
                                        Guccifer 2.0 outed as Russian agent.
                                        Mueller must be tumescent
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-03-18, 18:34.

Comment

Comment

Golf Golf Golf.

Managed to convince the missus to let me turn the basement into a man cave its prob 900sq ft.

First purchase, given the sick winters here... indoor putting green. Getting one of these. http://www.bigmoss.com/Putting-and-C...reens_c_7.html

It isnt developed, no plasterboard or carpets... but who needs those in a mancave.
                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                  Golf Golf Golf.

Managed to convince the missus to let me turn the basement into a man cave its prob 900sq ft.

First purchase, given the sick winters here... indoor putting green. Getting one of these. http://www.bigmoss.com/Putting-and-C...reens_c_7.html

It isnt developed, no plasterboard or carpets... but who needs those in a mancave.
                                                  ...Looked at this...At first glance it seems awesome and defintely suits a man cave...Wondering though...Can you change the levels of it, like make it slope left to right etc, or is it the same putt every time?... seen some for 500, very expensive...

Comment

Yes. I'm saying they were very reasonable expectations.
                                                    If you think news is going to tank a market 5-10% and it rallies, and continues for months and month, it's time to reassess. It's like the Chief raising on the river, calling cause you think his range is capped at X and he shows the nuts.

The same kind of people putting Hilary at 99% were the people selling when Trump took the lead. It was just a simple level of thinking. I know people who got hosed on that because they couldn't get past "I think Trump is an idiot, sell"

As Donald Trump celebrated his surprise election win over Hillary Clinton and equity futures swooned in response, billionaire investor and Trump supporter Carl Icahn headed home to start trading.

Mr. Icahn, 80, left President-elect Trump's victory party in the early hours of the morning to bet about $1-billion on U.S. equities, he said Wednesday in an interview on Bloomberg TV.

"I thought it was absurd that the market, the S&P was down 100 points on Trump getting elected," Mr. Icahn said in a phone interview. "I tried to put a lot more to work, but I couldn't put more than about a billion dollars to work," he said.
                                                    This is a whole other silly point. The idea that prices are generally priced better in liquid markets (i.e. when the big money came in) is surely not something you find surprising? I'm just really looking at this chart properly now due to a hectic day - are you trying to say you've proved markets are not able to price future expectations based on a single example of overnight trading patterns?
                                                    Your point was that markets moved lower initially on the tariff news, ergo it must be bad long-term, I'm demonstrating an example where that wasn't the case.

But it's the same scenario again. It's simple thinking of "trade war = bad" without realising it's a gambit to force the Chinese to the negotiating table, which is the only way US businesses are going to get a level playing field in trade.

And just to reemphasize the bit from earlier - Trump didn't do anything smart last year. Stocks rose because he gave firms loads of money. Stocks always rise when companies are given loads of money.
                                                    Stocks rose long before he got that through. He's created a pro business atmosphere, (labour participation has risen for the first time in years), cut regulation, and boosted expectations massively. Guess where Trump took over?

Last edited by Denny Crane; 23-03-18, 20:42.

Comment

I'm with Denny, simply because I put savings in stocks a week ago and want him to be right.

Comment

Do you follow that dude?

Caught up on Survivor ole?

SPOILER
                                                        That was an immense play at tribal even though it didn't work out.
                                                        Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                        Only caught up today.

SPOILER
                                                        The double bluff on the immunity would have been savage, was sure Sebastian was for turning. All 3 are marked now, a " drop your buffs" is on the cards id say, 3 smaller groups. Cant believe the girl who went to ghost island didn't gambol !!
                                                        I'm on the Survivor train also, Donathan

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                        Its a good burger and only a good burger at that. Would have eaten a second one easily so always get the double imo. Had a good chuckle to the server's reply when I asked if they had bacon; "oh you won't need that anyway".

Best burger I've had in recent memory was by Handsome Burger in Caribou pub down in Galway. Not sure of the arrangement but I believe its a separate company resident in the pub kitchen. Had the B.O.B. with the parmesan/bacon/garlic aioli fries. Delish and a proper sized feed
                                                        The double is way too greasy with the single the best way to go.

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                        Better off getting two singles instead of the double imo. Seems way out of proportion with the double.

5 guys was pretty underwhelming in Dundrum also.

Maybe check out Wow burger? Have never had it tho

Have been to Caribou loads of times delivering with work, never eaten there so will have to have lunch there after your recommendation, ty.
                                                        Five Guys is solid for sure and it's pretty good menu wise for additions to the burger, WowBurger is also nice, the garlic fries/chilli fries are superb.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                        On the pigs back and counter would be good for you meaters. Counter is mostly delicious toppings I guess.

My beaut from amsterdam still has me dreamin', yeah it's a burger bitches.

On the Pigs Back I stumbled across by accident and have been back as it was close to Cineworld but I wouldn't be racing back there over any other spot, never had an actual burger from The Counter tend to stick to their bowls, that multi layered stupidly stacked burger you need a knife/fork to eat is a bit of a pox.

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                        Bunsen is very good. I'd put it ahead of WOW Burger. Haven't tried 5 Guys yet but have heard mixed reports.

They all come behind one of my home made bad boys, they are the absolute GOAT
                                                        Let me know when to swing by.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                        Roger Stone is so fucked.
                                                        Guccifer 2.0 outed as Russian agent.
                                                        Mueller must be tumescent
                                                        Read that article last night, once again somebody in the Trump orbit caught out with denials of contact, gas stuff.

On a related note was watching The Wire last night and the scene was from your word above "tumescent"

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Nice to see you posting a bit more regularly TD

Comment

...Sad about the shooting today in France, but have to Say- the man that negotiated with the terrorist to swap the hostage with him is am absolute hero, such an amazing human being to do that...Hope he pulls through and gets the recognition he deserves...

Comment

Wonder how the Brexit press/wing will deal with the EU backing in the Russia affair

**Probably go quiet on whole affair or claim they are leading EU and proof that EU needs them

Wonder what will happen when they cop on how this would have worked out for them without an Ireland led EU support
                                                              Last edited by Guest; 23-03-18, 22:14. Reason: **

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Let me know when to swing by.

We should organise it actually, am just down the canal from you.

Comment

...Anyone that buys and eats a full large pizza with 5 different meat toppings is a pig, simple...
                                                                  ...I'm a pig, and I'm proud of it... #fullpighappy...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                    ...Anyone that buys and eats a full large pizza with 5 different meat toppings is a pig, simple...
                                                                    ...I'm a pig, and I'm proud of it... #fullpighappy...
                                                                    Pig, chicken, beef, lamb and duck?

Or, pig, pig, pig, chicken and beef?

Or, pig, pig, pig, pig and beef?

I want duck on a pizza. My local Chinese doubles up as an Apache, surely the cunce can organise that.
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Remember ordering a pizza there once and it was taking ages. About 30 mins past it's due date I eventually called up to ask wtf. They apologised and about 10 mins later a Chinese fella knocked on the door with it.

I gave him a €1 tip because I'm Irish. Normally give €2 so it was a fuck you tip really.

He looks confused and awkwardly takes it off me. Then walks off and gets into an S class Merc worth about €80k.

Delivery driver obv never turned in.

I tipped a millionaire Triad a euro.

Comment

If the internet existed for one single reason it was this tweet...

Comment

Genuinely concerned for what might happen to the TDS sufferers if StormyDaniels releases a tape and Trump is hung like a horse and has legendary technique.
                                                                          I mean it’s unlikely but you can’t rule it out

Comment

Am I fucking dreaming or is that Paul Merson appearing in that awful Sky Bet Boost ad?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

The Viking on drugs was better.

Comment

Hope you're stoned cause that was bland.

Terrible even.

Comment

Pig, chicken, beef, lamb and duck?

Or, pig, pig, pig, chicken and beef?

Or, pig, pig, pig, pig and beef?

I want duck on a pizza. My local Chinese doubles up as an Apache, surely the cunce can organise that.
                                                                                    ...BBQ base, chicken breasts, meatballs, bacon rashers, pork, and tandoori chicken...Not able to post pics here, but rigger can confirm...
                                                                                    ...And duck on pizza sounds delicious!!!...

Comment

...

Comment

Was 100 % that was going to be Tusk.
                                                                                        Play the two together. 1st one volume down obviously

Comment

The Viking on drugs was better.
                                                                                          No.1

Original video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwhQFxaVPkEdited by Sybren Rogge & myself

Comment

That French Gendarmerie is a true hero sacrificing his life to the Muslim terrorist to save another.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

...

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                                                Official hero status granted.
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

In search of fellini is odd film. Pity, it had potential, but ruined by the lack of a coherent plot. I get what it is trying to do, but it failed. Avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                    Not bad, but still think the Viking was better. He was a badass that owned the street. It was the ultimate power walk.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                      That French Gendarmerie is a true hero sacrificing his life to the Muslim terrorist to save another.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte
                                                                                                      In the words of a hero of mine, Sophie Scholl, who was executed at 21 in Germany in 1943:

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'survive.' The honest men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their little lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those who don’t like to make waves—or enemies. Those for whom freedom, honour, truth, and principles are only literature. Those who live small, mate small, die small. It’s the reductionist approach to life: if you keep it small, you’ll keep it under control. If you don’t make any noise, the bogeyman won’t find you. But it’s all an illusion, because they die too, those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what? Life is always on the edge of death; narrow streets lead to the same place as wide avenues, and a little candle burns itself out just like a flaming torch does. I choose my own way to burn.

While walking to her execution Sophie's last words were "How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause? Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

RIP Arnaud Beltrame.

Comment

Just copped the clocks go forward tonight. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                          In the words of a hero of mine, Sophie Scholl, who was executed at 21 in Germany in 1943:

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'survive.' The honest men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their little lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those who don’t like to make waves—or enemies. Those for whom freedom, honour, truth, and principles are only literature. Those who live small, mate small, die small. It’s the reductionist approach to life: if you keep it small, you’ll keep it under control. If you don’t make any noise, the bogeyman won’t find you. But it’s all an illusion, because they die too, those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what? Life is always on the edge of death; narrow streets lead to the same place as wide avenues, and a little candle burns itself out just like a flaming torch does. I choose my own way to burn.

While walking to her execution Sophie's last words were "How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause? Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

RIP Arnaud Beltrame.
                                                                                                          You made your bed Sophs, don't be expecting us men to come rescue you at the last minute.
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Hate it. Auz clock goes back next week, so will be 9 hour difference instead of 11. It's fine when you want to catch afternoon games, but makes it tough to watch CL quarters.

Comment

This is most welcome news.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                This is most welcome news.

Posted without comment.

Comment

lol

Some cunce will moan if you gave them ice cream.

It's the absolute best time of the year.

Comment

Unless your comment would have been how stupid the article is you're better off!

Comment

Obviously it's a welcome occurrence medium term (i.e., Monday onwards) but it's a total pain tonight and tomorrow to lose an hour.

Comment

Obviously it's a welcome occurrence medium term (i.e., Monday onwards) but it's a total pain tonight and tomorrow to lose an hour.
                                                                                                                        You would probably have wasted it anyway.

Comment

30 mins a night. Not so bad.

On fire brigade in the Lincoln . Moore is bullish

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X