Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 12-10-19, 22:42   #581
The Aul Switcharoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Go for this DCM?

Jesus no, am in no shape for it. Haven't ran more than 11 miles since last year. I would die at Milltown.
No, next years one. I know you haven't been doing long miles recently. I tend to just lurk mostly but like nosying this thread.

Good luck with the 5k. That's some serious time
Old 13-10-19, 00:54   #582
Lazare
GFML

Ah, lol, sorry.

Yeah, I think I will go for it. Cheers man.

Exciting times ahead for you, Dublin marathon is a truly incredible experience.
Old 14-10-19, 11:09   #583
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
Said I'd quote my own post from 16 months ago to show how far I've come. I think I might have became a runner over the past year

16 days until I take on the Dublin marathon which is quite ridiculous considering I couldn't run the length of myself 16 months ago. The plan is to break the 4hr mark but tbh I don't think I'll make it this time.

PB's so far
5k - actually never ran a 5k flat out. Did 2 park runs with a feed of pints the night before in 25mins but as you can see from longer run times I think I could probably do them in 22mins
4 miles(6.4km) - 30.10
10k - 48.30
10mile - 1hr 22
Dublin Half Marathon(2weeks ago) - 1.48
20 miles in training 3.01

Have done 3 20m in training, in which I did 2 slow and 1 at marathon pace just getting in at pace but I really didn't have much left in the tank. I went to do another 1 last week at MP but fell apart at 16m which seems to be happening in most LR. The legs just start to go and definitely worried about it happening in a couple of weeks. Hoping adrenaline and the crowd gets me through. Thankfully I've steered clear of any bad injuries so far but my training has been pretty poor and all over the place. Trying to get 2 short(5/6 miles mixed between hills and speed) and 1LR a week but struggled to get the short ones in which is stupid. Shift work,golf and a poker trip in August didn't help the cause either.

It is unreal to see how much you can push yourself. When I decided on doing the marathon with our group I said I would never do a LR on my own. Due to bad shifts I ended up doing 2 3hr 20m runs on my own which I never thought possible

I'll be honest that it all started to get the weight down again. I started at 6 foot and 130kg and by the time I started running I was 110kg but had stalled. Needed another lift. Eating a lot better now and down to 90kg and amazingly have seen some abs the last 2 months
40kg lighter is some achievement too!

Fair play, it’s great to see how far you can push yourself with determination.
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-19, 11:33   #584
Goodluck2me

New regime is going well

5km/day in the mornings last week, 6km/day this week. Going hard on Monday and easy Tuesday - Thursday with a good mix on fridays.
Will go for 7km/day next week, and 8km/day the week after.

Really enjoying it and finding the pearly starts very manageable, really only setting the alarm 20mins earlier.

If I manage the 8km weeks then I’ll end up doing 130km this month which would be 30km more than previous best.

Slower running has certainly helped and means I can recover much faster, as well as a dedicated foam rolling routine at the end.
3 Thanks From:
Old 18-10-19, 12:18   #585
BennyHiFi

Heading to Wexford this weekend so planning to run up (and possibly round) Tara Hill.

Sounds interesting...

The more demanding Blue Slí na n-Óg trail, beginning from the Ballinacarrig parking place (known locally as the Crab Tree) brings you on a walk which encompasses not just the higher slopes of Tara Hill itself, but its fascinating historical past. Along the way you will encounter the remains of a famine village, Soldier’s Hollow, Table Rock and on the summit, the cairn. This cairn has the crow’s-foot mark showing it was part of a military survey, using its height to provide possible defence in times of invasion. From this position can be seen Mount Snowdon in Wales, Croghan Kinsella in Co. Wicklow and Oulart Hill further south. On both walks, flora and fauna are in abundance, and the keen-eyed walker will sometimes spot the sparrowhawk and kestrel.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 18-10-19, 12:44   #586
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
Heading to Wexford this weekend so planning to run up (and possibly round) Tara Hill.

Sounds interesting...

The more demanding Blue Slí na n-Óg trail, beginning from the Ballinacarrig parking place (known locally as the Crab Tree) brings you on a walk which encompasses not just the higher slopes of Tara Hill itself, but its fascinating historical past. Along the way you will encounter the remains of a famine village, Soldier’s Hollow, Table Rock and on the summit, the cairn. This cairn has the crow’s-foot mark showing it was part of a military survey, using its height to provide possible defence in times of invasion. From this position can be seen Mount Snowdon in Wales, Croghan Kinsella in Co. Wicklow and Oulart Hill further south. On both walks, flora and fauna are in abundance, and the keen-eyed walker will sometimes spot the sparrowhawk and kestrel.
What distance would that be?
Old 18-10-19, 14:16   #587
Solksjaer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodluck2me View Post
New regime is going well

5km/day in the mornings last week, 6km/day this week. Going hard on Monday and easy Tuesday - Thursday with a good mix on fridays.
Will go for 7km/day next week, and 8km/day the week after.

Really enjoying it and finding the pearly starts very manageable, really only setting the alarm 20mins earlier.

If I manage the 8km weeks then I’ll end up doing 130km this month which would be 30km more than previous best.

Slower running has certainly helped and means I can recover much faster, as well as a dedicated foam rolling routine at the end.
Do you warm up beforehand or straight into it ?
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 10:26   #588
BennyHiFi

Quote:
What distance would that be?
There are two trails, both just over 5km apparently. It's 3.5 Km to the base of the hill from the hotel so I might just drive to the base and then I'll try a mix of 10 km or so on and/or around the hill itself.

Had a decent feed of wine and cider last night and I hardly ever run after a night on the sauce so not sure how it's gonna go.

Beautiful autumn day at the minute and just back from a walk on the beach so feeling relatively good. Will watch the rugby and have afternoon tea booked for 1pm and hope to go after that if its not lashing rain.
Thanks From:
Old 19-10-19, 16:11   #589
BennyHiFi

What a great run that was.

Sadly I had to walk most of the way to the top of Tara Hill. Just wasn't feeling the fitness today. But the run down was fantastic as the Coillte track turned into a single trail which was almost completely overgrown at some points and effectively turned into a stream before opening up onto track again.

Beautiful views from the top and the intoxicating smell of damp autumn filled the air. I spotted some Stations of the Cross nailed to trees on the way down but didn't see the famine village as think I went a different way.

Highly recommended 5km. Would love to do it again tomorrow if I have time but that's unlikely.

Some pics/vid here.
2 Thanks From:
Old 19-10-19, 16:50   #590
Solksjaer!

Did the pink run with my 10 year old nephew. He ran the whole 5k in 28 mins . He smiled the whole way around. Cool little man
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 11:46   #591
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solksjaer! View Post
Do you warm up beforehand or straight into it ?
Just go straight into it, I try to do some mild stretching before hand and more foam rolling etc afterwards.
Missed Monday and today due to a cold so I’m back to 5km again. I might try run 1km for a warm up to see how that changes things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
What a great run that was.

Sadly I had to walk most of the way to the top of Tara Hill. Just wasn't feeling the fitness today. But the run down was fantastic as the Coillte track turned into a single trail which was almost completely overgrown at some points and effectively turned into a stream before opening up onto track again.

Beautiful views from the top and the intoxicating smell of damp autumn filled the air. I spotted some Stations of the Cross nailed to trees on the way down but didn't see the famine village as think I went a different way.

Highly recommended 5km. Would love to do it again tomorrow if I have time but that's unlikely.

Some pics/vid here.
That looks class, I’d love to try some more trail running as it’s so much more enjoyable on your feet!
Old 22-10-19, 19:55   #592
BennyHiFi

Quote:
That looks class, I’d love to try some more trail running as it’s so much more enjoyable on your feet!
Felt it in my lower abdomen the next day. Well worth it though.
Thanks From:
Old 23-10-19, 16:03   #593
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Good idea, or Strava. Would use the latter a lot more often.
I'm just reading through this whole thread as starting to look at doing some running. I might do an intro post when I'm caught up but if anyone wants to link up on Strava this is me (hopefully the link works) - https://www.strava.com/athletes/31459657

I'd been mainly cycling up till recently but did my first sprint tri in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago and decided to sign up for a 10k run next month to keep myself honest.

Doing the triathlon the bit I was dreading was the run as I have always been terrible at it, but did it in 00:27:53 on the day which was beyond my wildest dreams (750m swim in a surprisingly good 15:59 and the cycle was a fairly crap 39:11 for 20k as I was worried about the run).

I think I've always started too fast any time I tried to run in the past. I just want to run this 10k in order to prove I can do it before probably doing the Great Limerick Run 10k next Spring. My main goal I think I would like to attempt is the sub 25 5k, and hopefully a bit faster subsequently as I'm fairly confident I have it in me.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 23-10-19, 16:06   #594
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

I see a couple of posts later Paul set up a group, never mind!
Old 23-10-19, 17:49   #595
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I'm just reading through this whole thread as starting to look at doing some running. I might do an intro post when I'm caught up but if anyone wants to link up on Strava this is me (hopefully the link works) - https://www.strava.com/athletes/31459657

I'd been mainly cycling up till recently but did my first sprint tri in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago and decided to sign up for a 10k run next month to keep myself honest.

Doing the triathlon the bit I was dreading was the run as I have always been terrible at it, but did it in 00:27:53 on the day which was beyond my wildest dreams (750m swim in a surprisingly good 15:59 and the cycle was a fairly crap 39:11 for 20k as I was worried about the run).

I think I've always started too fast any time I tried to run in the past. I just want to run this 10k in order to prove I can do it before probably doing the Great Limerick Run 10k next Spring. My main goal I think I would like to attempt is the sub 25 5k, and hopefully a bit faster subsequently as I'm fairly confident I have it in me.
The general consensus seems to be more slower miles is the best route to success. Try to start a slower pace and keep to it, and build from there.
I was the same,, going hammer and tongs, for as long as I could and your gassed after 1500m. Given your times above a sub 25min 5km will be an easy task with a bit of training and focus. You’ll be shocked at your progress I’d say.
Thanks From:
Old 23-10-19, 22:26   #596
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdrum View Post
I've reset my program to begin again as of yesterday. If anyone wants it BTW they're more than welcome to it just drop me a pm, it's a Hal Higdon program.
If you wouldn't mind sending this on I'd love to take a look at it please.

Quote:
Been thinking about what a typical week looks like, and what to recommend.

It really depends on where you are, where you want to be and what you can commit.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, you want to improve at 5k.

I've learned the hard way last year that there's no quick way to get where you want to be. You need a solid base of fitness before you can succeed, injury free, at taking chunks off race times.

Good news is it's the perfect time of year to build that base. A solid aerobic base.

I'm currently in week 5 of an 8 week base building phase. The intention then is to start a 12 week 5k training plan which will have me race ready at the end of May. Just in time for a whole Summer of races and parkruns.

A typical week right now is, rest Mon, easy Tue, easy with some strides (or little bit of tempo) Wed, easy Thurs, rest Fri, progression long run Sat, rest Sun. Building to 48km per week.

It's all about mileage and consistency. If you can, run four days a week, with a long run at the weekend. Three days is fine if you're limited to that.

Keep it all easy pace for a few weeks.

Tue - 5k easy
Wed - 6k easy with 5x 100m strides
Thurs - 5k easy
Sat - 10k easy

The next week make the long run 12k, the following week make it 6k, 7k, 6k, 12k. Build slowly.

Go mad at parkrun if you want, but not every week, and include it as part of your long run. Build your mileage gradually.

Do that until late March then introduce some specific workouts, reps etc, and I guarantee you you will be running 5k in 19:xx
This seems like a good starting point for me also.

I've gone with the better half on these last two (first two) runs so we've been going right slowly, like over six minutes per km but it's good to not allow myself to blow up and also if it keeps her interested and enjoying it all the better.

I did a 6k run this evening after doing 5k on Monday and felt just fine all the way around. We're planning to try our first park run on Saturday before heading to Cork in the afternoon to get riggidy riggedy wrecked at the jazz so fingers crossed that goes well. I'll be interested to see if I can match or better my ~28 mins from the triathlon, presume I should be able to.
Old 23-10-19, 22:36   #597
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
Yeah they are a great club, the three WAC bobble hats I have are amongst my most prized possessions. You should aim to be picking up one of those in the first week in December.
Tell me more about these hats.
Old 23-10-19, 23:09   #598
Lazare
GFML

Good man Keano, delighted you're getting the buzz.

Joe is right, slow easy kms are the way to go. More in your case for getting the joints and tendons used to the pounding than for building an aerobic base. You've likely got a decent base from cycling.

Slow miles allow you recover quickly, allowing you to run more often. Nothing quicker than 6 min kms, other than the odd crack at a parkrun.
By simply running regularly, at least three times a week, building the mileage gradually all at an easy slow pace you will sub 25 really quickly. That's the great thing about starting out, the gains are massive really quickly.

After a few months of that you could start to add in more targetted workouts and get yourself down into the low 20s with relative ease.

Something I've learned the hard way is you've got to have patience, but it's so worth it.

Keep it easy for now, get the body used to it, avoid injury, the gains will come.
Old 24-10-19, 10:30   #599
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Any suggestions about what to do for this 10k? It's on the 13th of November so I suppose just get in a bunch of 5-10k easy runs in the next two weeks.
Old 24-10-19, 10:39   #600
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
If you wouldn't mind sending this on I'd love to take a look at it please.
Drop me a PM with an email address and I'll forward on the details. If I can download I will and if not I'll send you details to login.
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games