No announcement yet.

Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treadmill ramp test today. Increasing speed by 0.5km every 3mins. Intensity wasn't too difficult. The idea is that when your heartrate suddenly starts to rise quickly (as opposed to a slow climb) it indicates your lactate threshold.
    At almost 30mins HR jumped from 177 to 182. So I stopped. But looking back at the HR graph, it's kinda steady. Not much of an inflection point.

Anybody have any experience with lactate threshold/anaerobic threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      Treadmill ramp test today. Increasing speed by 0.5km every 3mins. Intensity wasn't too difficult. The idea is that when your heartrate suddenly starts to rise quickly (as opposed to a slow climb) it indicates your lactate threshold.
      At almost 30mins HR jumped from 177 to 182. So I stopped. But looking back at the HR graph, it's kinda steady. Not much of an inflection point.

Anybody have any experience with lactate threshold/anaerobic threshold.

Haven’t tried that but I’ll give it a go.

Comment

I just use recent race times to estimate LT.

Too crude though, have to get into HR training some day.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          I just use recent race times to estimate LT.

Too crude though, have to get into HR training some day.
          I'd also like to do a real MHR test. 220-age is definitely off for me. The above was with 3BPM of that and I feel like I had plenty in reserve

Comment

I'd also like to do a real MHR test. 220-age is definitely off for me. The above was with 3BPM of that and I feel like I had plenty in reserve
            Here's a workout you can do to determine it quite accurately. Be sure to use a chest strap though, wrist monitors aren't accurate enough.

Warm up for 15 minutes on a flat surface. Build up to your usual training pace.
            Choose a hill that will take more than 2 minutes to climb. Run up the hill once (for at least 2 minutes), building to as hard a pace as you estimate you could hold for 20 minutes. (You don’t have to keep running for 20 minutes, you just need to build up to a pace that you could hold for at least 20 minutes.) Return to the base of the hill.
            Run up the hill again with a faster pace. Get your heart going as hard as you can, building up to a pace you estimate you would be able to hold for 3 kilometres. Observe your highest heart rate on the display.Your max HR is approximately 10 beats higher than the now-noted value.
            Run back down the hill, allowing your heart rate to drop 30–40 beats per minute from where it was.
            Run up the hill once again at a pace that you can only hold for 1 minute. Try to run halfway up the hill. Observe your highest heart rate. This brings you close to your maximum heart rate. You can use this value as your max HR to set your heart rate zones.
            Make sure you cool down for a minimum of 10 minutes

Comment

That sounds interesting and puke inducing. Tempted tbh.
              I'd guess about 195

Comment

What’s the value in the cool Down?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                  The best time for stretches for me. Plus it keeps the high going for a wee while longer .

Basingvthis on memory. Tis a slog still for me now . Fat bastardism

Comment

A light jog or even a brisk walk after a hard effort speeds recovery. Your muscles are soaked in lactic acid, a bit of gentle use flushes it, reduces DOMS, allows you to get back on the saddle quicker.

After the 2017 half marathon I was forced to walk about 7k to my car. Had to abandon it before the race because of traffic.

I was brand new the following day, was out running with zero pain or discomfort. I had ran that half all out.

Comment

5 sessions in, sticking with the cardio.
                      Rower feels uncomfortable. Knee doesn’t like being compressed.
                      Running is fine during it. But leg feel like shit the next day.
                      Bike is probably the best. Was never s fan before.

Did heavy bag today for high intensity sessions. Good to get the HR up fast.

Comment

4 x 1min high intensity
                        Hit 188 bpm on the last. Legs were jelly.

Comment

This weeks cardio

Sat
                          30mins cycle at 151bpm

Tue
                          1000m row 4min x 2

Comment

I've done a grand total of 5k (one very slow parkrun!) in July, and my August isn't looking too hot at present as still have a sore Achilles (I think) so won't be doing much running till it is pain free So frustrating.

Will be doing Inch Beach parkrun in Kerry this Saturday I hope, but will put away the running shoes after this for at least another two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                              I've done a grand total of 5k (one very slow parkrun!) in July, and my August isn't looking too hot at present as still have a sore Achilles (I think) so won't be doing much running till it is pain free So frustrating.

Will be doing Inch Beach parkrun in Kerry this Saturday I hope, but will put away the running shoes after this for at least another two weeks.
                              Can be from tight calf muscle. Physio man physio

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Did it a few weeks ago. All on sand so be careful with it
                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

There doesn't seem to be activity in any other fitness related thread outside of some logs so I figured I'd use this.

I signed up to a 3 month program with recalibratedbodies, Irish group that come highly recommended. They design diet and/or fitness programmes but I simply went with the latter.

DP in the BBV and his hypermobility peaked my interest in sharing because it's mobility which I've really tried to focus on over the past number of months.

Like anyone who's played sport I have all sorts of niggling pains & aches in various locations but shoulders and lower back(had a fall) seem to be the primary areas of concern.

I don't have any pics but for hamstrings which is the standard litmus test for mobility I can just about touch my toes now having started with my hands between the lower knee/upper shin. I've begun to focus more on loosening everything else now so I do 3-4 1hr mobility sessions a week which is a combo of myofascial release; bands, foam roller, lacrosse ball as well as more longer static & dynamic stretching.
                                  Playing some golf now so T-spine mobility has become a target in recent weeks.
                                  Overall it's been good but results are incredibly slow.

This leads to my rationale for signing up to programme, I spent most of my years lifting heavy weights largely with poor form and I'd like to rectify that with focusing on more functional movement, better posture and changing my body shape. The latter referring more to shoulder position, walking/running mechanics opposed to body composition (needs an overhaul too btw).
                                  The mobility has been great but it's passive, not much of a sweat and my usual gym routine does not lend itself to maintaining let alone improving my mobility. This has basically led to improved mobility but reduced fitness as I simply haven't had the time to train for 2 hours a day. I need a program which is designed to compliment a goal of improved mobility while also improving my strength especially in the planes of movement I want to improve. It's probably more fair to say my flexibility(passive range of movement) has improved but my mobility(active/loaded range of movement) has not.

I should have the program over the next couple of days but I'll report back with how it shapes up. Just thought I'd share what I'm at for now having parked the running with the plantar fasciitis still lingering which is something I have begun to address as of the last week or so, less pain waking up so perhaps some progress.
                                  Last edited by Guest; 13-08-19, 07:17.

Comment

One of the most disheartening things about running/training is when you feel great ( for a change) you up your pace a little, bearing in mind your calves are ready to roar should you go too fast but you are feeling a newly developed strength that reminds you off the times when the scenery went past a lot faster. So you feel great, and for at least 1k of it you’re 25 again. Then you slow down at the finish, not breathing too heavily and feeling a tad lightheaded - like an IPBer on decent smack. L You click on the watch and the time looks back at you mockingly. I know it’s not about the time but Jaysus it’s tough to take how far I’ve let it slip over the years. I’m going to persevere and will eventually laugh back at my times from now but to do so I’m going to have to lose about 10kg-15kg. I’m going to have to do it the very slow way though as I have zero desire to give up much of my food loves or my few pints every couple of weeks. 100kg - 97Kg in 6 months. World record for rapid weight loss is safe . For now I’m an Ocean Liner trying hard to become a Ferry boat . No advice required , just a rant to make all you other big slowcoaches feel you are not on your own.
                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 13-08-19, 10:30.

Comment

Winding up a two week break in Co. Clare and managed x8 10km runs in 11 days to pull back some of the distance I was behind on my yearly target.

It's some difference in terms of motivation running on a beach or up a boreen every day compared to tramping through the city centre avoiding people and traffic, potholes and tree trunks and kerbs.

I have had barely an ache over the eight runs and feel like I could easily do 50K per week out here, time permitting.

It's been a real tonic but now back to the slog in Dublin from Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                        Winding up a two week break in Co. Clare and managed x8 10km runs in 11 days to pull back some of the distance I was behind on my yearly target.

It's some difference in terms of motivation running on a beach or up a boreen every day compared to tramping through the city centre avoiding people and traffic, potholes and tree trunks and kerbs.

I have had barely an ache over the eight runs and feel like I could easily do 50K per week out here, time permitting.

It's been a real tonic but now back to the slog in Dublin from Monday.
                                        Send me on your Spotify playlist for those runs o music king

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                          Send me on your Spotify playlist for those runs o music king
                                          Sorry Solks... don't do Spotify. And don't listen to music while running (though have been singing the theme to Blaze and the Monster Machines all week to accompany the wind whistling in my ears if that's any use to you. I preferred it when the nipper was watching Puffin Rock - much classier ear worm).

Comment

Got back out running today with a mate, it’s amazing how much tougher it can be after a couple of (active) months out. The sub50 10km seems a long way off now!

Comment

Got back out running today with a mate, it’s amazing how much tougher it can be after a couple of (active) months out. The sub50 10km seems a long way off now!
                                              Precisely 10k off. Come on Joe you are but a pup you can smash that

Comment

Precisely 10k off. Come on Joe you are but a pup you can smash that
                                                I managed 49ish in May, just meant figuratively after not running for a few months how you lose the fitness quickly, I’ll be back! There’s a 46in there I think for sure, but I’d need to keep up the training.

Comment

Ran my first ultra trail race over the weekend; 50km & approx 2000m total elevation gain, plenty of drop too. Turned out to be the most enjoyable race I've taken part in out of 30+. Never ran that distance or close to it when factoring in elevation but it turned out to be a lot of gradual ups & downs spread out well & no overly technical parts. I ran it in 05:55 and managed to grab 5th out of 26 runners.

The volunteers were amazing, definitely kept me motoring with spuds & salt the main recommendation. Each 6km station was a motivation but to be honest I decided early on to go a bit slower and ramp it up later if able and that worked with my 2nd lap 20 mins faster. Bought trail running shoes a week ago and I'm an idiot for not doing sooner. No cramps (my detriment in last 4 marathons), only tired legs last 3-4km & I put that down to the shoes & aid stations as heat got to 28 when I finished; started off around 17 at 7am and grew throughout. Normally a killer for me but again the salted spuds & water kept me right.

Was planning something big for next year even before this race - pondering 100 miles but definitely 50 miles at least - and that's even more enticing now. Definitely a sickness but I feel trail running is infinitely better than road running for me. I've a road marathon next month but signed up for a trail marathon in October. Definitely reignited my passion.

Comment

To continue boasting, but also because I am forgetful, I ran my first sub 19:00 5k a couple weeks ago, coming in 2 seconds under. I thought when I hit sub 20 getting 18:xx could be done, I 100% do not think the same for 17:xx.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                      To continue boasting, but also because I am forgetful, I ran my first sub 19:00 5k a couple weeks ago, coming in 2 seconds under. I thought when I hit sub 20 getting 18:xx could be done, I 100% do not think the same for 17:xx.
                                                      Congrats FM.
                                                      When I broke 20min for 5k. That was me done, hung up the trainers.
                                                      The thoughts of grinding it down to 18:xxmin. Fairplay

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                        Was planning something big for next year even before this race - pondering 100 miles but definitely 50 miles at least - and that's even more enticing now. Definitely a sickness but I feel trail running is infinitely better than road running for me. I've a road marathon next month but signed up for a trail marathon in October. Definitely reignited my passion.
                                                        Amazing achievement FM. I wish I was 20 years younger and just discovering running and could realistically aim (or more likely dream) of goals like these.

GL and keep us updated with reports!

Comment

Back out again, trying to 5km every morning before work. Fast one on Monday and slow ones rest of the week.

Will up to 6km next week and 7km the week after to see how I get on.

Enjoying the mornings so far.

Comment

Missed the updates to this somehow, amazing stuff feetmagic. Well done man.

Comment

5km in 5 days done this week. Delighted as I haven’t done 5 days in a row before. Key was to follow Laz advice and do slow runs sometimes, so tues we’d Thursday are at 5:30 is a d Monday Friday is 4:30. Feeling strong and surprised how quickly I’m recovering post run now which helps the confidence.
                                                              I’ve definitely got a sub20 in me, just need to break 21 first

I’ve realized that a lot of improving in running comes down to being able to carry on when uncomfortable, running your max shouldn’t be easy. The confidence of more training allows you to believe you can run faster, albeit there’s more to it than just mental it does play a part.

Comment

Good man Joe. Gradual increase on your easy mileage and you'll see those times come down.

Comment

T -16 days

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                  I joined for the craic. Will never be a runner but doing a 10k for charity in October so tipping away a couple nights a week. Will hope for a sub 1hr one.
                                                                  Said I'd quote my own post from 16 months ago to show how far I've come. I think I might have became a runner over the past year

16 days until I take on the Dublin marathon which is quite ridiculous considering I couldn't run the length of myself 16 months ago. The plan is to break the 4hr mark but tbh I don't think I'll make it this time.

PB's so far
                                                                  5k - actually never ran a 5k flat out. Did 2 park runs with a feed of pints the night before in 25mins but as you can see from longer run times I think I could probably do them in 22mins
                                                                  4 miles(6.4km) - 30.10
                                                                  10k - 48.30
                                                                  10mile - 1hr 22
                                                                  Dublin Half Marathon(2weeks ago) - 1.48
                                                                  20 miles in training 3.01

Have done 3 20m in training, in which I did 2 slow and 1 at marathon pace just getting in at pace but I really didn't have much left in the tank. I went to do another 1 last week at MP but fell apart at 16m which seems to be happening in most LR. The legs just start to go and definitely worried about it happening in a couple of weeks. Hoping adrenaline and the crowd gets me through. Thankfully I've steered clear of any bad injuries so far but my training has been pretty poor and all over the place. Trying to get 2 short(5/6 miles mixed between hills and speed) and 1LR a week but struggled to get the short ones in which is stupid. Shift work,golf and a poker trip in August didn't help the cause either.

It is unreal to see how much you can push yourself. When I decided on doing the marathon with our group I said I would never do a LR on my own. Due to bad shifts I ended up doing 2 3hr 20m runs on my own which I never thought possible

I'll be honest that it all started to get the weight down again. I started at 6 foot and 130kg and by the time I started running I was 110kg but had stalled. Needed another lift. Eating a lot better now and down to 90kg and amazingly have seen some abs the last 2 months

Comment

Keep her lit lads . Yiz are inspiring me back to do next years one. Runner girl in work has also talked me into it. Decades since the last one .
                                                                    Just fell in the door now. Any k in the 5s still tough at mid 90skgs. One step forward etc.

Comment

Nice one Switch, that's fucking amazing!!

Don't worry about gassing on that MP long run, that's supposed to happen balls deep in training. Cumulative fatigue.

That's where the taper comes into effect. You should be beginning yours soon. Reduced mileage, all easy stuff, let the body recover and come marathon day you'll be bursting to go, and the lungs and legs will have enough in them to run 26.2 at marathon pace.

Believe.

Comment

Have a bit of FOMO myself this year not doing it.

Original plan last Nov was to spend two years training for a good smack at it in 2020.

Plan was to build mileage and consistency and concentrate on 5k, the fun stuff.

I've enjoyed this year so much though that it will be difficult to switch to marathon training next summer.

I'll be stabbing at something around 3:25 if I do go for it.

Lot of work to he done though.

Comment

Nice one Switch, that's fucking amazing!!

Don't worry about gassing on that MP long run, that's supposed to happen balls deep in training. Cumulative fatigue.

That's where the taper comes into effect. You should be beginning yours soon. Reduced mileage, all easy stuff, let the body recover and come marathon day you'll be bursting to go, and the lungs and legs will have enough in them to run 26.2 at marathon pace.

Believe.
                                                                          Have a bit of FOMO myself this year not doing it.

Original plan last Nov was to spend two years training for a good smack at it in 2020.

Plan was to build mileage and consistency and concentrate on 5k, the fun stuff.

I've enjoyed this year so much though that it will be difficult to switch to marathon training next summer.

I'll be stabbing at something around 3:25 if I do go for it.

Lot of work to he done though.
                                                                          Thanks bud. It's hard not to worry when I'm finishing the LRs so badly

Started the taper with 14m today. Will do a couple of short 5m during the week and we're gonna do 10 next week then.

Don't know what I'm going to do next year tbh. Most of November is going to be rest and a big couple of weeks at Partypoker Bahamas and I'll fall around the Waterford AC half in December to get the bobble hat

First 6 months next year I'll work on 5k speed alright and actually do a couple of races right and see what I can do. Throw in the Treacy 10 mile and I should be in decent condition by next summer. At the end of the day I'm just getting used to this endurance thing and seeing how much I can push it before keeling over

Starting swimming lessons too so I can swim properly for a triathlon next summer for the next step.

Doing Dublin next year depends if I stick with the swimming or give up on it. If I do I'll be looking at 3.45. Did a VO2 max test with a score of 60 so pretty high so my fitness is flying...just can the legs take the pain

Comment

Why not go for it again. Probably not adding much to your mileage anyway

Comment

Why not go for it again. Probably not adding much to your mileage anyway
                                                                              Go for this DCM?

Jesus no, am in no shape for it. Haven't ran more than 11 miles since last year. I would die at Milltown.

Comment

My target right now is the Jingle Bells 5k in Dec.

Aiming for a pb, dream is low 19 but don't have enough time to fully attack that. Missed three weeks recently with tendon issues.

Comment

Go for this DCM?

Jesus no, am in no shape for it. Haven't ran more than 11 miles since last year. I would die at Milltown.
                                                                                  No, next years one. I know you haven't been doing long miles recently. I tend to just lurk mostly but like nosying this thread.

Good luck with the 5k. That's some serious time

Comment

Ah, lol, sorry.

Yeah, I think I will go for it. Cheers man.

Exciting times ahead for you, Dublin marathon is a truly incredible experience.

Comment

Said I'd quote my own post from 16 months ago to show how far I've come. I think I might have became a runner over the past year

16 days until I take on the Dublin marathon which is quite ridiculous considering I couldn't run the length of myself 16 months ago. The plan is to break the 4hr mark but tbh I don't think I'll make it this time.

PB's so far
                                                                                      5k - actually never ran a 5k flat out. Did 2 park runs with a feed of pints the night before in 25mins but as you can see from longer run times I think I could probably do them in 22mins
                                                                                      4 miles(6.4km) - 30.10
                                                                                      10k - 48.30
                                                                                      10mile - 1hr 22
                                                                                      Dublin Half Marathon(2weeks ago) - 1.48
                                                                                      20 miles in training 3.01

Have done 3 20m in training, in which I did 2 slow and 1 at marathon pace just getting in at pace but I really didn't have much left in the tank. I went to do another 1 last week at MP but fell apart at 16m which seems to be happening in most LR. The legs just start to go and definitely worried about it happening in a couple of weeks. Hoping adrenaline and the crowd gets me through. Thankfully I've steered clear of any bad injuries so far but my training has been pretty poor and all over the place. Trying to get 2 short(5/6 miles mixed between hills and speed) and 1LR a week but struggled to get the short ones in which is stupid. Shift work,golf and a poker trip in August didn't help the cause either.

It is unreal to see how much you can push yourself. When I decided on doing the marathon with our group I said I would never do a LR on my own. Due to bad shifts I ended up doing 2 3hr 20m runs on my own which I never thought possible

I'll be honest that it all started to get the weight down again. I started at 6 foot and 130kg and by the time I started running I was 110kg but had stalled. Needed another lift. Eating a lot better now and down to 90kg and amazingly have seen some abs the last 2 months
                                                                                      40kg lighter is some achievement too!

Fair play, it’s great to see how far you can push yourself with determination.

Comment

New regime is going well

5km/day in the mornings last week, 6km/day this week. Going hard on Monday and easy Tuesday - Thursday with a good mix on fridays.
                                                                                        Will go for 7km/day next week, and 8km/day the week after.

Really enjoying it and finding the pearly starts very manageable, really only setting the alarm 20mins earlier.

If I manage the 8km weeks then I’ll end up doing 130km this month which would be 30km more than previous best.

Slower running has certainly helped and means I can recover much faster, as well as a dedicated foam rolling routine at the end.

Comment

Heading to Wexford this weekend so planning to run up (and possibly round) Tara Hill.

Sounds interesting...

The more demanding Blue Slí na n-Óg trail, beginning from the Ballinacarrig parking place (known locally as the Crab Tree) brings you on a walk which encompasses not just the higher slopes of Tara Hill itself, but its fascinating historical past. Along the way you will encounter the remains of a famine village, Soldier’s Hollow, Table Rock and on the summit, the cairn. This cairn has the crow’s-foot mark showing it was part of a military survey, using its height to provide possible defence in times of invasion. From this position can be seen Mount Snowdon in Wales, Croghan Kinsella in Co. Wicklow and Oulart Hill further south. On both walks, flora and fauna are in abundance, and the keen-eyed walker will sometimes spot the sparrowhawk and kestrel.

Comment

Heading to Wexford this weekend so planning to run up (and possibly round) Tara Hill.

Sounds interesting...

The more demanding Blue Slí na n-Óg trail, beginning from the Ballinacarrig parking place (known locally as the Crab Tree) brings you on a walk which encompasses not just the higher slopes of Tara Hill itself, but its fascinating historical past. Along the way you will encounter the remains of a famine village, Soldier’s Hollow, Table Rock and on the summit, the cairn. This cairn has the crow’s-foot mark showing it was part of a military survey, using its height to provide possible defence in times of invasion. From this position can be seen Mount Snowdon in Wales, Croghan Kinsella in Co. Wicklow and Oulart Hill further south. On both walks, flora and fauna are in abundance, and the keen-eyed walker will sometimes spot the sparrowhawk and kestrel.
                                                                                            What distance would that be?

Comment

New regime is going well

5km/day in the mornings last week, 6km/day this week. Going hard on Monday and easy Tuesday - Thursday with a good mix on fridays.
                                                                                              Will go for 7km/day next week, and 8km/day the week after.

Really enjoying it and finding the pearly starts very manageable, really only setting the alarm 20mins earlier.

If I manage the 8km weeks then I’ll end up doing 130km this month which would be 30km more than previous best.

Slower running has certainly helped and means I can recover much faster, as well as a dedicated foam rolling routine at the end.
                                                                                              Do you warm up beforehand or straight into it ?

Comment

What distance would that be?
                                                                                                There are two trails, both just over 5km apparently. It's 3.5 Km to the base of the hill from the hotel so I might just drive to the base and then I'll try a mix of 10 km or so on and/or around the hill itself.

Had a decent feed of wine and cider last night and I hardly ever run after a night on the sauce so not sure how it's gonna go.

Beautiful autumn day at the minute and just back from a walk on the beach so feeling relatively good. Will watch the rugby and have afternoon tea booked for 1pm and hope to go after that if its not lashing rain.

Comment

What a great run that was.

Sadly I had to walk most of the way to the top of Tara Hill. Just wasn't feeling the fitness today. But the run down was fantastic as the Coillte track turned into a single trail which was almost completely overgrown at some points and effectively turned into a stream before opening up onto track again.

Beautiful views from the top and the intoxicating smell of damp autumn filled the air. I spotted some Stations of the Cross nailed to trees on the way down but didn't see the famine village as think I went a different way.

Highly recommended 5km. Would love to do it again tomorrow if I have time but that's unlikely.

Some pics/vid here.

Comment

Did the pink run with my 10 year old nephew. He ran the whole 5k in 28 mins . He smiled the whole way around. Cool little man

Comment

Do you warm up beforehand or straight into it ?
                                                                                                      Just go straight into it, I try to do some mild stretching before hand and more foam rolling etc afterwards.
                                                                                                      Missed Monday and today due to a cold so I’m back to 5km again. I might try run 1km for a warm up to see how that changes things.

What a great run that was.

Sadly I had to walk most of the way to the top of Tara Hill. Just wasn't feeling the fitness today. But the run down was fantastic as the Coillte track turned into a single trail which was almost completely overgrown at some points and effectively turned into a stream before opening up onto track again.

Beautiful views from the top and the intoxicating smell of damp autumn filled the air. I spotted some Stations of the Cross nailed to trees on the way down but didn't see the famine village as think I went a different way.

Highly recommended 5km. Would love to do it again tomorrow if I have time but that's unlikely.

Some pics/vid here.
                                                                                                      That looks class, I’d love to try some more trail running as it’s so much more enjoyable on your feet!

Comment

That looks class, I’d love to try some more trail running as it’s so much more enjoyable on your feet!
                                                                                                        Felt it in my lower abdomen the next day. Well worth it though.

Comment

Good idea, or Strava. Would use the latter a lot more often.
                                                                                                          I'm just reading through this whole thread as starting to look at doing some running. I might do an intro post when I'm caught up but if anyone wants to link up on Strava this is me (hopefully the link works) - https://www.strava.com/athletes/31459657

I'd been mainly cycling up till recently but did my first sprint tri in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago and decided to sign up for a 10k run next month to keep myself honest.

Doing the triathlon the bit I was dreading was the run as I have always been terrible at it, but did it in 00:27:53 on the day which was beyond my wildest dreams (750m swim in a surprisingly good 15:59 and the cycle was a fairly crap 39:11 for 20k as I was worried about the run).

I think I've always started too fast any time I tried to run in the past. I just want to run this 10k in order to prove I can do it before probably doing the Great Limerick Run 10k next Spring. My main goal I think I would like to attempt is the sub 25 5k, and hopefully a bit faster subsequently as I'm fairly confident I have it in me.

Comment

I see a couple of posts later Paul set up a group, never mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                              I'm just reading through this whole thread as starting to look at doing some running. I might do an intro post when I'm caught up but if anyone wants to link up on Strava this is me (hopefully the link works) - https://www.strava.com/athletes/31459657

I'd been mainly cycling up till recently but did my first sprint tri in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago and decided to sign up for a 10k run next month to keep myself honest.

Doing the triathlon the bit I was dreading was the run as I have always been terrible at it, but did it in 00:27:53 on the day which was beyond my wildest dreams (750m swim in a surprisingly good 15:59 and the cycle was a fairly crap 39:11 for 20k as I was worried about the run).

I think I've always started too fast any time I tried to run in the past. I just want to run this 10k in order to prove I can do it before probably doing the Great Limerick Run 10k next Spring. My main goal I think I would like to attempt is the sub 25 5k, and hopefully a bit faster subsequently as I'm fairly confident I have it in me.
                                                                                                              The general consensus seems to be more slower miles is the best route to success. Try to start a slower pace and keep to it, and build from there.
                                                                                                              I was the same,, going hammer and tongs, for as long as I could and your gassed after 1500m. Given your times above a sub 25min 5km will be an easy task with a bit of training and focus. You’ll be shocked at your progress I’d say.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                                I've reset my program to begin again as of yesterday. If anyone wants it BTW they're more than welcome to it just drop me a pm, it's a Hal Higdon program.
                                                                                                                If you wouldn't mind sending this on I'd love to take a look at it please.

Been thinking about what a typical week looks like, and what to recommend.

It really depends on where you are, where you want to be and what you can commit.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, you want to improve at 5k.

I've learned the hard way last year that there's no quick way to get where you want to be. You need a solid base of fitness before you can succeed, injury free, at taking chunks off race times.

Good news is it's the perfect time of year to build that base. A solid aerobic base.

I'm currently in week 5 of an 8 week base building phase. The intention then is to start a 12 week 5k training plan which will have me race ready at the end of May. Just in time for a whole Summer of races and parkruns.

A typical week right now is, rest Mon, easy Tue, easy with some strides (or little bit of tempo) Wed, easy Thurs, rest Fri, progression long run Sat, rest Sun. Building to 48km per week.

It's all about mileage and consistency. If you can, run four days a week, with a long run at the weekend. Three days is fine if you're limited to that.

Keep it all easy pace for a few weeks.

Tue - 5k easy
                                                                                                                Wed - 6k easy with 5x 100m strides
                                                                                                                Thurs - 5k easy
                                                                                                                Sat - 10k easy

The next week make the long run 12k, the following week make it 6k, 7k, 6k, 12k. Build slowly.

Go mad at parkrun if you want, but not every week, and include it as part of your long run. Build your mileage gradually.

Do that until late March then introduce some specific workouts, reps etc, and I guarantee you you will be running 5k in 19:xx
                                                                                                                This seems like a good starting point for me also.

I've gone with the better half on these last two (first two) runs so we've been going right slowly, like over six minutes per km but it's good to not allow myself to blow up and also if it keeps her interested and enjoying it all the better.

I did a 6k run this evening after doing 5k on Monday and felt just fine all the way around. We're planning to try our first park run on Saturday before heading to Cork in the afternoon to get riggidy riggedy wrecked at the jazz so fingers crossed that goes well. I'll be interested to see if I can match or better my ~28 mins from the triathlon, presume I should be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                  Yeah they are a great club, the three WAC bobble hats I have are amongst my most prized possessions. You should aim to be picking up one of those in the first week in December.
                                                                                                                  Tell me more about these hats.

Comment

Good man Keano, delighted you're getting the buzz.

Joe is right, slow easy kms are the way to go. More in your case for getting the joints and tendons used to the pounding than for building an aerobic base. You've likely got a decent base from cycling.

Slow miles allow you recover quickly, allowing you to run more often. Nothing quicker than 6 min kms, other than the odd crack at a parkrun.
                                                                                                                    By simply running regularly, at least three times a week, building the mileage gradually all at an easy slow pace you will sub 25 really quickly. That's the great thing about starting out, the gains are massive really quickly.

After a few months of that you could start to add in more targetted workouts and get yourself down into the low 20s with relative ease.

Something I've learned the hard way is you've got to have patience, but it's so worth it.

Keep it easy for now, get the body used to it, avoid injury, the gains will come.

Comment

Any suggestions about what to do for this 10k? It's on the 13th of November so I suppose just get in a bunch of 5-10k easy runs in the next two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                        If you wouldn't mind sending this on I'd love to take a look at it please.
                                                                                                                        Drop me a PM with an email address and I'll forward on the details. If I can download I will and if not I'll send you details to login.

Comment

Ooh, another thing - what's the latest thinking on Garmin watches? Anyone get any new models lately or anything?

I have a potentially very chunky gambling win due in a week or so and a reasonably high end Garmin is the thing I'm planning to splash out on in celebration as I only have a cheap activity tracker at the moment. I'm planning to keep up the open water swimming and would like one that functions for that so looks like the Forerunner 945 might be the best bet.

Do those that have them still find they work well etc?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X