Shoving range vs live donkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoving range vs live donkey

When I say donkey, I really mean donkey. He basically raises every hand and sometimes absolutely huge raises / shoves (saw him fold 1 hand and call 1 other in like 20 hands). This was a freeroll live tourney with the winner getting a $500 AUD Satellite seat.

First hand, he came to the table with about 9k with blinds at 200/400 with 9k being about the avg stack. He shoves UTG+3 8 handed, gets called from the SB ( a tightish passive player) who has about 8k and shows pocket 8s, UTG+3 flips 72o! Then decides to hit quads to knock SB out.

Couple hands later, he's in UTG+1 and raises to 3k. UTG+3 (Decent LAG) snap shoves for 14k and UTG+1 snap calls out of turn with K8s! UTG+1 flips over AKs and ends up winning the pot.

Next hand, he's UTG and shoves for about the 4-5k he has left. BB (tight and mildly aggresive) who is short stacked with 2.5k calls and shows pocket 4s. UTG flips 73o and flops 2 pair.

So my question is what sort of shoving range with an average stack should you have against a guy that raises any 2 cards and won't fold?

22+ JTs+ A2s+, A2o-A5o, A9o+. Any paint

Comment

Make sure you become good friends with the guy and find out where he plays poker regularly also.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
        22+ JTs+ A2s+, A2o-A5o, A9o+. Any paint
        Think shoving 22 is not good
        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
          Think shoving 22 is not good
          yes but give me 22 any day better than Ak sh...

Comment

Originally posted by Frossach View Post
            22 is never ahead of his range, is sometimes crushed.
            Originally posted by Emperor Badger View Post
            So my question is what sort of shoving range with an average stack should you have against a guy that raises any 2 cards and won't fold?
            Do you have position on him? How close.

The reason i ask is that you shouldn't be eyeing his chips and looking to shove on him if you must go out of your way. If there are others in the hand, limpers or those to act, I continue with a normal range. Otherwise you just end up exploited yourself.

If you are in the blinds and he open raises, and tis folded to you, then you can open your range.

I think what Emmett posted is too wide. The weak aces don't have much over mid suited connectors, and are also beaten by mid+ aces.
            JT is also beaten by the likes of K8

If I was isolated with him (or him and the blinds)
            77+ KTs+ A8+

Comment

Where was the tourney?

Comment

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                Where was the tourney?
                lol, was thinking that myself

Comment

I tighten my range here and shove 77+ AJ+ and probably KQ. I dOnt see the need to flip against the lunatic when he's eventually just going to donate them elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                    Make sure you become good friends with the guy and find out where he plays poker regularly also.
                    Oh, I know who he is, we went to high school together. I've just never seen him play poker before.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                    22 is never ahead of his range, is sometimes crushed.
                    Do you have position on him? How close.
                    Sorry I forgot to mention that. I was immediately on his left.

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                    Where was the tourney?
                    Bit far for all your Irish folk I'm afraid. It's at the nearby pub in Victoria, Australia

Comment

Oh, I know who he is, we went to high school together. I've just never seen him play poker before.

Sorry I forgot to mention that. I was immediately on his left.

Bit far for all your Irish folk I'm afraid. It's at the nearby pub in Victoria, Australia
                      that's why max_power was asking, he's in victoria atm
                      i'm currently in NSW

(the reason our posts are always at strange times)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        that's why max_power was asking, he's in victoria atm
                        i'm currently in NSW

(the reason our posts are always at strange times)
                        That might explain a couple things. I didn't realise there were other Aussies (or at least people in Australia) on the forums here.

Comment

Are some really advocating shoving 22? A hand where we are 50.334% vs the 49.666% of literally atc in the deck.

SPOILER
                          Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

12,585,434,400 games 32.892 secs 382,629,040 games/sec

Board:
                          Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
                          Hand 0: 50.334% 49.39% 00.95% 6215338932 119416020.00 { 22 }
                          Hand 1: 49.666% 48.72% 00.95% 6131263428 119416020.00 { random }

Originally posted by Frossach View Post
                          Level? Yes, give me 22 any day of the week if we can see that our opponent has AK but against the deck AK is by far the better hand.

The fact you're on his direct left is a good thing in that you get to see what his action is and your hand before making a decision on what to do. It's bad because we have to take into account everyone behind us who is left to act.

Tighten our range up and get it in with a hand that plays well not only against villains range but also the table. The only time we are playing solely vs the villain is bvb when it's folded around (never happens live). The good thing about when we pick up a monster behind him is that the table perceives our range to be wider than it actually is and so may end up calling it off light.
                          Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

That might explain a couple things. I didn't realise there were other Aussies (or at least people in Australia) on the forums here.
                            There's about 4 or 5 of us that regular post over in Oz at the moment

Comment

Working...
                            X