Two hands.. What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two hands.. What do I do?

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker..
    Two hands from a tournament the other night that I'm wondering how I should've played them.

Hand 1:
    13 players left, blinds 800/1500
    I'm BB with about 30k, average stack.. Folded around to small blind, who shoves for 11.5k. I hold A3hh.. He's shoved a couple of times, so I pretty much knew if it was folded around to him he was gonna get it in. I figure my Ace high is ahead most of the time. Do I risk just over a third of my stack as a small favourite?

Hand 2:
    Still 13 players, blinds 800/1500
    Im BB again.. UTG limps, folded around to the small blind who completes. I hold KQdd.. Both other players cover me. What's my move? I figure I should be raising this hand as no one has showed any strength, but any raise I make is pretty much committing me, so should I shove or just check and see a flop?
    Last edited by KK82; 12-02-11, 01:51.

Hand 1 : Snapcall. You've basically answered it yourself by saying he's shoved a couple of times and you're probably a favourite over his shipping range

Hand 2: Depends what reads you have on UTG. If he's been limp folding a lot, then it's a ship. It could depend on stack sizes, how far from the money etc but i like a ship pre

Comment

Hand 1: Sounds like a pretty easy call. You have far too much equity to consider passing here.

Hand 2: Need stacks. Depending on stacks, and UTG, its either a check or a shove imo unless sufficient stacks to do otherwise, and I think that'd be a little greater than 20 bigs and reads that UTG limp calls lightish.
      Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. Yeah, I called the first hand and lost to Q9. Sorry, second hand I had 19k.. UTG has about twice that. He'd been playing quite tight preflop in the early stages, but was raising with big aces. I only had just over 12bbs though and it's a spot I find myself in quite often, deciding whether to try just take down the pot right there and risk getting called or to see a flop.

Comment

ya i'm definitely calling hand 1.

hand 2...
          is one where i am really cautious. at this stage of the tourney there are often these what i would describe as glaring limps. if someone at the table has been pushing alot, players are apt to limp with big hands.

however u will often be pretty confident that its a small pair (or speculative hand like a low suited connector) that someone wants to see a flop with but doesnt want to call an allin preflop. again u need the read ofc.

even though the 4.5k on offer (for risking 19k i take it) seems a decent return for a shove which in all likelihhood will get thru i'd still prob check in the knowledge the strength of ur hand will be nicely disguised and if another player flops a pair with u you'll prob get 2 streets or a double up anyway.

Comment

Welcome,

I'm calling 1 and shoving 2.

Congrats on being a snake sicko.

Comment

Call
              Shove

Congrats on your Snake abilities!

Comment

did you join just to get the snake high score

Comment

Haha, yes.. I did join just to get the snake high score. Been a lurker here since day 1 though. I was a Nokia 5110 Snake addict and wanted to see if I still had it!
                  FWIW, I shoved hand 2, got called by 66 and missed. Just wanted to get opinions on if I did anything horribly wrong on either hand. I'm not sure I would've called with the 66 in his position. Was it a good/bad call?

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                    Haha, yes.. I did join just to get the snake high score. Been a lurker here since day 1 though. I was a Nokia 5110 Snake addict and wanted to see if I still had it!
                    FWIW, I shoved hand 2, got called by 66 and missed. Just wanted to get opinions on if I did anything horribly wrong on either hand. I'm not sure I would've called with the 66 in his position. Was it a good/bad call?
                    Depends who had the 66 and their stack size but I doubt it was a good play.
                    Last edited by Caf; 12-02-11, 05:18.

Comment

I don't think you've done anything wrong in either hand. Ul

The limp/call with 66 is dreadful.

Comment

Yeah shove with KQ for 12.66bb is standard there.
                        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

1st hand ...defo call in blind v blind as his range is likely wide and with an ace you have min 30% to win bar AA

2nd hand....most, not all limps UTG at this stage are PP 22-99 and 10J-QK ...with KQs I am happy to get it in there at that stage ...

Comment

Hand 1: Easy call. If SB has half a clue he'll be shoving almost everything from that position with his stack.

Hand 2: Assuming your stacksize is around the same as it was in hand 1 I'm shoving this. You could argue that its read dependent and sometimes UTG is limping a monster but I'm still shoving in the long run.
                            www.rakebackfair.com

Comment

Working...
                            X