99 in SB, facing button raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 in SB, facing button raise

I'm playing in a satellite, 3 tickets and 14 players left. I have 16K chips (slightly above average) and the blinds are 300/600 no ante.

The button has about 18K, is fairly loose and open raises for 1,500. I have 99 in the SB.

I reraise to 4,000. The button calls.

Flop Q,7,5 rainbow. I decide to check-raise. I think the button would have reraised pre flop with an over pair to my 99, if he has AQ then that's too bad.

Button bets 7,000 and I move all in.

Button calls and turns over AK. Turn and river are blanks and I double up. The button then berates me for making a "donkey" move, saying I should'nt have moved all in as I had no fold equity as he was pot commited. I said he made a mistake by over betting.

Any comments?

Im having a hard time trying to figure out who played the hand worse

Comment

cunningfoc welcome, can I direct you to this thread first of all

Just gives tips on how to post hands here, you will significantly add influence to people's responses (without them realising it!) by posting the results.

Let me ask you this, are you crai for value or as a bluff on this flop? Do you want him to call or fold? If the first, what does he call with that we beat? If the second, what does he fold that beats us?

Comment

think you should have shipped it pre
        i also think he should have shipped pre ance you had reraised it

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by cunningfoc View Post
          I'm playing in a satellite, 3 tickets and 14 players left. I have 16K chips (slightly above average) and the blinds are 300/600 no ante.

The button has about 18K, is fairly loose and open raises for 1,500. I have 99 in the SB.

I reraise to 4,000. The button calls.

Flop Q,7,5 rainbow. I decide to check-raise. I think the button would have reraised pre flop with an over pair to my 99, if he has AQ then that's too bad.

Button bets 7,000 and I move all in.

Button calls and turns over AK. Turn and river are blanks and I double up. The button then berates me for making a "donkey" move, saying I should'nt have moved all in as I had no fold equity as he was pot commited. I said he made a mistake by over betting.

Any comments?
          Just ship pre,

I hope your planning on calling if he comes back over the top preflop when you make it 4k?

Comment

I planned to checkraise as a semi bluff representing a bigger hand than 99. The 7K bet took me by surprise as there was 8600 in the pot. I figured he was trying to buy the pot so I stuck to my plan. I was afraid of JJ, TT or AQ but little else. But it was a key hand and very diffucult to decide what to do after the 7K bet.

I probably would have folded to an all in reraise pre flop as I would have 14K left and the average was 15K. The satellite cost me €100 with a rebuy. It is for the €500 tourney in the Macau in Cork this Friday. (I won a ticket).

This is my 1st post, thanks for the input.
            Last edited by cunningfoc; 08-12-10, 13:30.

Comment

After the line you took pre flop I think you should be leading the flop bet/calling his shove. His flat call of your 3 bet is horrible with ak he should be shipping 100% of the time in that spot and obviously after you make it 4k your calling his shove ( I hope). I don't mind any of your plays except checking the flop.

Edit: Sorry I just seen you were planning to fold to a 4 bet shove, if this is the case then why 3 bet OOP in the first place? Its not as if your 3-betting the sb light.
              Last edited by Carl_Morrissey; 08-12-10, 13:36. Reason: typo
              http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
              http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

I planned to checkraise as a semi bluff representing a bigger hand than 99. The 7K bet took me by surprise as there was 8600 in the pot. I figured he was trying to buy the pot so I stuck to my plan. I was afraid of JJ, TT or AQ but little else. But it was a key hand and very diffucult to decide what to do after the 7K bet.

I probably would have folded to an all in reraise pre flop as I would have 14K left and the average was 15K. The satellite cost me €100 with a rebuy. It is for the €500 tourney in the Macau in Cork this Friday. (I won a ticket).

This is my 1st post, thanks for the input.
                This is not a semi bluff, you don't have a drawing hand.

Like carl said you shouldnt be 3bet folding a hand this strong.

Id prefer just shipping all in over the raise tho.
                Last edited by Laois Hammer; 08-12-10, 13:51.

Comment

I think you played the hand fine. Checking the flop with the intention of check raising doesn't sound good based on your explanation. If it's because you think you are ahead of his flop betting range and that he will pot commit himself with worse then it's fine. Against someone who is aggressive, you may be better off check calling but his bet size is so big you should fold or go allin and i think here it's fine as he has tons of worse hands in his range.
                  Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

How the hell does this not go in pre-flop? ROFL at the button flatting a three bet with ak and getting it in on a queen high flop. So bad. I think sb played fine. I'd just jam pre though. Save any decisions like this.

Comment

I think you made a mistake ruling out QQ+
                      He could of easily decided to flat the 3bet to get it in on any flop. You said yourself that you'd fold to a 4b/shove.

Othe than that I think it was fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X