mid to late stages tourney strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mid to late stages tourney strategy?

ok i am a cash game player who has started playing more online tournies as i see the ridic bad players than swarm into them.

my problem now is transitioning for the mid to late game.

i play super lag and aggro early and have a knack of being chip leader or being up there by playing crap loads of pots early and exploiting the weaker players in the early levels-i put this down to my cash game experience where stacks are deep.

my problem is i dont have huge experience in this area and somehow seem to flounder a bit during mid to late game, often bubbling or being 1st or second off FT with a dissapointing result from early promise.

very frustrating but i would like to hear what you guys supect is might be issues.

tnx

mid to late in tourneys I tighten my range of hands but opposite to you im not that aggressive when blinds are small so I get aggressive mid to late stages.
    Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol

Comment

Sounds like your game is solid. Varience would be a big factor at this stage of the game. If you go card dead or all of your raises are being 3bet and you don't have the goods then you are going to struggle.
      Likewise if you tighten up too much and get blinded down to a shortstack.

The times you get there is the time you have the goods when someone makes a move on you, or other players fold too much to your raises.

Look out for tournament training videos concentrating on that part of the game & post hands etc.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
        Sounds like your game is solid. Varience would be a big factor at this stage of the game. If you go card dead or all of your raises are being 3bet and you don't have the goods then you are going to struggle.
        Likewise if you tighten up too much and get blinded down to a shortstack.

The times you get there is the time you have the goods when someone makes a move on you, or other players fold too much to your raises.

Look out for tournament training videos concentrating on that part of the game & post hands etc.
        i was goin to mention it in my original post but wanted to see if anyone would bring it up. what i an getting at is 'variance'. i feel like i have been awfully unlucky not to have crushed several online MTTs lately. getting it in ahead so often a critical mid or late stages. its causing me to question my game/strategy and reading a post on here yesterday which basically brings up the notion of avoiding variance as much as possible in tourneys so you can survive to make a final table and not watch on from the rail ruelfully is playing on my mind.

basically i am/was of the school of thinking that you engineer situations where you have the best of it a get ur godamn stack in with as much +EV as possible and leave the rest up to the poker gods/devils.

i mean if i have 80% equity and jam the pot, i scream call donk call, call! not plz dont call and draw out on me coz i can outplay you and other donks later(dunno but personally i think the most scope for outplaying is sure ealier on when stacks are deeper)

but i am open to debate and changing my mind and perhaps there is value/merit for playing or adjusting my game.

btw. i dont watch vids. must start. i m sure it could clear up ideas i have doubt over and perhaps giev me some new things to thnnk s about.

Comment

Read HoH 2: Endgame
          Look up ICM

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
            i was goin to mention it in my original post but wanted to see if anyone would bring it up. what i an getting at is 'variance'. i feel like i have been awfully unlucky not to have crushed several online MTTs lately. getting it in ahead so often a critical mid or late stages. its causing me to question my game/strategy and reading a post on here yesterday which basically brings up the notion of avoiding variance as much as possible in tourneys so you can survive to make a final table and not watch on from the rail ruelfully is playing on my mind.

basically i am/was of the school of thinking that you engineer situations where you have the best of it a get ur godamn stack in with as much +EV as possible and leave the rest up to the poker gods/devils.

i mean if i have 80% equity and jam the pot, i scream call donk call, call! not plz dont call and draw out on me coz i can outplay you and other donks later(dunno but personally i think the most scope for outplaying is sure ealier on when stacks are deeper)

but i am open to debate and changing my mind and perhaps there is value/merit for playing or adjusting my game.

btw. i dont watch vids. must start. i m sure it could clear up ideas i have doubt over and perhaps giev me some new things to thnnk s about.
            I read the thread and it's an interesting idea about reducing varience. Pro's talk a lot about avoiding flips just because they feel they can outplay donks enough to merit not taking flips too much unless they need to.
            That thread takes it a bit further, maybe it's the difference between abc, good and great players. In that scenario your stack was a healthy enough 40bb, so it was a playable enough stack where skill would still be a factor.

I'd be of the abc mode so I'll take the 60/40's all day long.

Comment

Kill everyone is a good read and has a decent endgame strategy chapter, bubble factor and shoving ranges are explained in detail as well as prizepool equitys ect

Comment

anyone fancy lendng me Kill Everyone and HOH ??(for tourneys)

yes the cheek i know. but i guess someone might have both and might be kind enough to lend me them for little bit. my second home is the Fitz in Dublin so could meet there at tourney or cash game or could drop em in to reception for me.

total chance i m takin here. plz fck off and buy your own wont offend me.

cant seem to remember Waterstones having either of those last time i was in? anyone know if thats true?

Comment

How many tournies have you played? Your probably just underestimating the ammount of variance involved in them, its gonna take thousands of them to get an idea of your true roi. Keep in mind also that you'll probably only cash in 16-18% of large field tournies and go deep in <5%( hopefully win one occasionally <<<1%) so looking at tournament results in the short term is pointless.

Anyway embrace the variance, get aggro at the business end of tournies, keep getting it in ahead, and don't start avoiding +ev situations because you want to avoid variance or whatever. Definitely check out ICM though and maybe some vids to make sure your playing well at the end of tournies when mistakes will cost you the most.
                  "Don't overcomplicate a straight forward game with mathematical bullshit and dicussing different lines with your geeky friends" Chris Olaafson

Comment

Originally posted by Line Us View Post
                    Keep in mind also that you'll probably only cash in 16-18% of large field tournies and go deep in <5%( hopefully win one occasionally <<<1%)
                    I imagine 16-18% would rep a decent RoI, people forget how few times a good player should cash.

What's your RoI/ITM percent Line Us if you don't mind. Feel free to PM/refuse to answer etc if you rather not say

Comment

Theres a 2 part video on dragthebar.com called Cashgamer's Tournament Tutorial
                      In this video series I will cover all of the tournament adjustments necessary for a good cash game player to learn how to go from playing within the constraints of a tournament.
                      You can get this site free on a 7 day trial.
                      I havent watched this particular video because im not a cash player but any from that site ive watched are very good.

If you do watch this video theres another 1 that might help aswel that goes into detail about the math sude of 3betting light and 4betting light

Comment

I read somehwere that Chris "Jesus" Ferguson didn't cash in his first 24 WSOP tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningfoc View Post
                          I read somehwere that Chris "Jesus" Ferguson didn't cash in his first 24 WSOP tournaments.
                          A pretty strange stat.
                          Even stranger considering its not true.

He palyed his first WSOP event in '95, I'm not sure exactly which his first event was, but he final tabled event #6 which had to be one of his first few.

Comment

Working...
                          X