Rake rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rake rage

Have played the $1/3 cash game on the cruise ship a few nights this week, and the rake is an extortionate 10% capped at $15. The game is still beatable though so you just have to such it up.

A few situations arose though that I'm not sure of the general rule.

1. Let's say the pot is $40 and someone bets $100 and is not called. The pot is raked as $140. Surely that's not the case? E.g if it's folded to the small blind and they bet $200 then they would rake $15, or does it depend on whether you see a flop?

2. If it's a split pot, do you still rake the full amount? I got all-in pre heads-up for a $400 pot AK v AK and they raked $15

3. If there's s side pot, does the rake come from the main and the remainder from the side? The main pot in one hand was $120 and the side was $600 and they raked $12 from the main and $3 from the side.

Pretty much at no stage did a dealer know how much was in the pot and rake it discretely. Every hand was counted out after it was over and raked (because it's REALLY difficult to rake 10% )

Plenty of other annoyances regarding other rules, but it is what it is, and the ship had its own rules!
    Last edited by Flushdraw; 13-09-19, 19:35. Reason: Edited for typos

Only one I'm certain on is number 1. If pot is 40 and theres an uncalled bet of 100, you only rake the 40. To do otherwise is just thieving.

Numbers 2 and 3 would come down to house rules imo but in general I've never raked a split pot.

Number 3 actually sounds fine to me. Just unlucky for the shorty that hes being raked so much and the other players are much deeper.

Comment

Just off a ship myself and rake was the same but game was 2/5.
      What I couldn't believe was the absolute robbery of the poker tournament. 49 runners at 100 and a load of rebuys at 50. One prize of a free cruise.
      Blackjack tourney was one prize of 500 and I worked out at least 2500 in entries. Scandalous

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
        Only one I'm certain on is number 1. If pot is 40 and theres an uncalled bet of 100, you only rake the 40. To do otherwise is just thieving.

Numbers 2 and 3 would come down to house rules imo but in general I've never raked a split pot.

Number 3 actually sounds fine to me. Just unlucky for the shorty that hes being raked so much and the other players are much deeper.
        As you say on No2, its house rules. I was surprised though to find it happen at a festival a couple of years ago in Ireland.
        I cant recall if it was Champs87 and I in the hand or that we were just sitting beside one another.
        The spot was as described above, I obviously asked and I was told "If there's a pot sir, we're going to rake it".

Pretty sure Champs up and left, perhaps he can recall, something in the Regency I think.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
          Just off a ship myself and rake was the same but game was 2/5.
          What I couldn't believe was the absolute robbery of the poker tournament. 49 runners at 100 and a load of rebuys at 50. One prize of a free cruise.
          Blackjack tourney was one prize of 500 and I worked out at least 2500 in entries. Scandalous
          Defo sounds like a Royal Caribbean ship. Played the same game on the third night. Was $100 and 50r and add-on. 1k chips starting stack, 10 min levels pretty much doubling. Going from 200/400 to 400/800 was lol. There was 2 tables and the winner of each table went through to the final day with the total accumulated chips. Our table had 2 dead stacks and tons of rebuys. The other table had 7 players and no dead stacks and was daily tight.

No idea how much rake they charged or if the rebuys were even counted. Managed to lose HU so didn't even make the final day FML 😆

Comment

Sam is correct on the first one should be raked as €40.

Number 2 a lot of places don’t rake split pots and as an organizer I don’t really feel the need as they don’t happen that often but some places do and I can see why they do it on the ships as it’s just a choice of play or not.

Number 3 is done the correct way.

Comment

I'll qualify everything below by saying that the house can make up any rules it likes and the customer is expected to make his own mind up on whether to participate.
              That said good practice would be roughly as follows.

1. Only called bets are raked, in the above example the standing pot of $40 is raked for $4 and the $100 bet is ignored.

2. in a split pot only chips placed in the pot by players who are not involved in the split are raked. eg: Three players put $10 each in pre-flop and on the flop the 1st player bets $20, the 2nd player calls and the 3rd player folds. on the river the remaining 2 players table identical hands. Only the $10 lost by the 3rd player is raked ie: $1 should be taken.

3. Where there are side pots the dealer should rake each pot proportionally to their size with the total amount taken not exceeding the cap. As was done in your example.

Comment

Working...
              X