Site upgrade work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site upgrade work

As I'm sure most will be painfully aware, there have been a lot of site errors and so on recently. Much like the government in the current covid crisis, I have a plan to resolve this over the next while:

1. Back up the database to get a base for testing. After having to do a lot of cleanup (25k temporary tables had been created somehow and needed deleting), this step is complete.
    2. Set up a test site where I can test upgrades to see if they work, to see if there are errors, etc. This is almost complete after a lot of googling and trial and error, just one minor (I hope piece to do). This test site has same features and data as this one, as of the data cut time from yesterday, but won't be accessible to anyone to post in, other than me if I need to test something.
    3. Purchase vbulletin 5 (version 5.6.1 is the latest one). Not done.
    4. Upgrade test site to vbulletin 5.6.1 and see if it works, etc. Not done.
    5. If step 4 works well I will then look to take the main site offline for a while. I should know timings better from upgrading test site, and can let people know what to expect then.

I'm not an expert in vbulletin 5 and while I know it'll look and feel very different to what we are used to, I don't know how different really as I've only used it a little. if it can be customised to look a bit nicer (although that is subjective) or add features, I'll try them out in the test site first.

I'm sure some will complain it looks bad, but at the end of the day it shouldn't matter. I don't really want it to look too different either, but if it helps fix the problems that's the main thing. The version of vbulletin we're using is years out of date (3.8.11) and parts of it are causing problems for server software that is getting upgraded to versions that don't play nice with it.

On the plus side there should be some better features available if we upgrade, such as proper mobile apps for ios and android. We'll find out what else is available if/when the upgrade happens. If I upgrade the test site though and still see errors in logs similar to what we have now, the upgrade might not happen. We'll see how it goes. Just wanted to let ye know what's going on. I think(hope) I have the most awkward bits out of the way almost, but famous last words and all that.

Think upgrading is the best thing to do and ultimately the only way to resolve the issues people have been experiencing. Your approach is sound, if you need help testing stuff let me know.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
      Think upgrading is the best thing to do and ultimately the only way to resolve the issues people have been experiencing. Your approach is sound, if you need help testing stuff let me know.
      Sure what would you know about testing!

Comment

Go for it, Dom.

Fair to say that if this site was the pet dog. It would be pissing all over the house at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for all your work Dom, I appreciate it.

Comment

Fair play Dom. Any chance of a few extra emjois
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

Where's the GoFundMe link?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                Where's the GoFundMe link?
                This.

Who is paying for all this malarkey over the years? We are/were a bunch of degens, time for some donations
                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Ads pretty much cover the cost of the site over the years. I know people are happy to donate, which I appreciate, but I still don't like asking for money as people will expect a certain level of service then

That last bit was mostly a joke, but also a little bit not! I do stuff on a best endeavours basis which works fine most of the time thankfully.

I'm on step 4 now which has run into a bit of a brick wall for reasons that make me just want to go straight to step 5 as I need to do something that will likely negate step 4 to a large degree, but I'll put a little thought into it. I will need to take the forum down at some point (possibly tomorrow) for a while if I'm getting to step 5 either way. It will be weekday anyhow as I have more time when working than when I'm not!

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                    Ads pretty much cover the cost of the site over the years. I know people are happy to donate, which I appreciate, but I still don't like asking for money as people will expect a certain level of service then

That last bit was mostly a joke, but also a little bit not! I do stuff on a best endeavours basis which works fine most of the time thankfully.

I'm on step 4 now which has run into a bit of a brick wall for reasons that make me just want to go straight to step 5 as I need to do something that will likely negate step 4 to a large degree, but I'll put a little thought into it. I will need to take the forum down at some point (possibly tomorrow) for a while if I'm getting to step 5 either way. It will be weekday anyhow as I have more time when working than when I'm not!
                    Did you consider moving to XenForo at any stage? It seems a lot of former vBulletin sites have made the switch, although perhaps you did not want to move for aesthetic or other reasons.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      Did you consider moving to XenForo at any stage? It seems a lot of former vBulletin sites have made the switch, although perhaps you did not want to move for aesthetic or other reasons.

Thanks for your time and effort.
                      I did think of that alright, but from my research it seems like there is a yearly licence fee with it, rather than the one off of vbulletin, plus it's easy to upgrade from vbulletin (different supported versions of php aside, which is causing my current problem.)

Comment

Thanks for all the work behind the scenes Dom (and obv everyone else). Much appreciated as we all like it here. Rewards come to those who wait so enjoy the trophy presentation on Sunday.

Comment

You're defo from Roscommon or wan of them Christian counties!

Comment

How dare you,

Banned

Comment

Might be a silly question, but do all options mean holding on to the post archive?
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                Might be a silly question, but do all options mean holding on to the post archive?
                                All posts will be retained, unless something goes massively tits up. I'll be backing up the DB before I start anyway.

Comment

I plan on doing this today, so the site will be down for some time. If it goes wrong I should be able to rollback to this version.
                                  Does this work?
                                  Last edited by 6starpool; 19-05-20, 12:48.

Comment

Site is a pain in the hole. Kind of working...ish.

I'm sure plenty of people are still getting errors that I'm still working on, so please let me know here.

Avatars and the likes didn't seem to come across properly but I'm sure you can figure out howto load what you want. If it stabilises a bit over the new few days I'll look to change a few things, but not too much. I'm aware it is very 'vanilla' at this stage, and one thing I've learned is that I don't want to make too many customisations as these are the things that stop working. I opened the forum now though to see if/how others can access it.

I've had a long day of looking at this in between work and kids, so I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Again, any errors, post in this thread please. I'm sure there will be loads.

Comment

I’d thank your post if I could.
                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

You can 'like' it if you wish. It's at the bottom right of all posts.

Comment

Can't see a like button Dom..

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Fair play Dom, it must so frustrating I'm liking this if works
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Can't see a like button Dom..
                                              How about now?

Comment

I'll looks at adding the tren smilie back as well, but not tonight.

Comment

Comment

How about now?
                                                    No, 'quote' and 'flag' the only options I can see.

Comment

No, 'quote' and 'flag' the only options I can see.
                                                      Nope
                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

I'll figure it out again. Works for me though, I'm sure you'll be delighted to know.

Comment

...Was able to like posts...

Comment

No like for me either FYI

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                              No like for me either FYI
                                                              same. only quote and flag

Comment

No Like button for me on Desktop either.
                                                                Also maybe an issue with old Tables.
                                                                Looking at the Multi-Sport competition thread they don't seem to have come across.
                                                                I can rebuild them going forward obviously, so not a priority if it's a hassle.

Comment

I don't have an option to thank a post either. Hidden forums are missing too.
                                                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                    I don't have an option to thank a post either. Hidden forums are missing too.
                                                                    What do you mean by 'hidden' forums? Like the 'Cousins' one?

Comment

I now have the ability to like posts. I have also changed the style setting in the bottom left hand corner to "Old School" and it's a dramatic improvement. I think most people will prefer that!

Comment

Avatars in settings dont seem to be uploading even though no errors happen when selecting a new one.

Also on the BBV its not remembering where you last read so you seem to be always brought to page 1 of 85 or so.
                                                                        Could 'last page' be possible included like the old bbv so users can get into the most recent posts on clickage.

One other suggestion. Under Poker theres 'General Poker'' and 'Live Tournaments and events''. Wondering could the link to the BBV be a forum header in its own right so its always there on the home page?.

So you have....

BBV

General Poker

Live Tournaments
                                                                        Last edited by rounders123; 20-05-20, 14:49.

Comment

Yeah avatars not working for me either

Comment

Or me. They should be working though. Does this help?

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                              Avatars in settings dont seem to be uploading even though no errors happen when selecting a new one.

Also on the BBV its not remembering where you last read so you seem to be always brought to page 1 of 85 or so.
                                                                              Could 'last page' be possible included like the old bbv so users can get into the most recent posts on clickage.

One other suggestion. Under Poker theres 'General Poker'' and 'Live Tournaments and events''. Wondering could the link to the BBV be a forum header in its own right so its always there on the home page?.

So you have....

BBV

General Poker

Live Tournaments
                                                                              1. Avatars, as the last post is a known thing not working. I'm trying to figure it out. It should be ok, but isn't.
                                                                              2. This is irritating me too and not something I have much control of I think. When you are viewing the general poker forum you can hit the little blue arrow icons, this brings you to the last page. I'll keep trying to find a way to make this easier to get to. There might be a default setting somewhere.

Capture200520.PNG
                                                                              3. Unless I move BBV to it's own forum, which is a possibility, that might be difficult to achieve. I'll see what can be done though.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Dom,
                                                                                just to add something that might be missed the "multi-quote" option is missing too. Good luck with the changes

Comment

#41
                                                                                  I need to fix spoilers too.

Comment

#42

Or me. They should be working though. Does this help?

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                    Dom,
                                                                                    just to add something that might be missed the "multi-quote" option is missing too. Good luck with the changes
                                                                                    Multi quote does work but it's weird. I'll explain when I'm finished being overwhelmed by kids for the day.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Further down thr trough but Tab icon to be an IPB one rather than the current Vbulliten one. V Bulliten icon acceptance wankers are nearly as bad as multi quoting wankers.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                        Further down thr trough but Tab icon to be an IPB one rather than the current Vbulliten one. V Bulliten icon acceptance wankers are nearly as bad as multi quoting wankers.
                                                                                        I don't even know what this means.

Comment

#45

I don't even know what this means.
                                                                                          Gibberish predictive text. What I mean is you know the way on a Windows pc you have a host of tabs open. Each tab has the name of the site or however much of it can fit in but there's also an icon image on each tab usually an insignia or logo of the website. In this case Vbullitin logo. In the case of boards,ie 2 eyes.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Ah right, I get you now. It;s on the list. FYI, that little thing is called the favicon.ico

Comment

#47
                                                                                              OK, so multi quote. It's a bit of a pain in the hole really.

When you hit the quote button on a post 2 things happen. The first thing is that you get brought to the bottom of the page to write your reply which has the quote included, which is great if that's what you want to reply to. The second thing is that the quote button on the post you wanted to quote goes orange. Now to the multi-quote. If you go to any other post you can press the quote button on that post then too (and won't be brought to the bottom of the page) and then you will see the "Post Reply" button at the top of the page which has (2) bedside it. You might not even have noticed this button before, but it is always there scrolling through a thread. You can continue to quote posts,and when ready to reply, hit this new Post Reply button (which will have the number of posts you are quoting beside it.

Did I over explain it perhaps?

Comment

#48
                                                                                                spoiler tags
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                working now

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Thanks for your efforts on the Dom.

A few observations:
                                                                                                  1. Fully agree with GAB's suggestion to remove the Facebook & twitter sharing options
                                                                                                  2. Is there any way to list the people who have liked a post underneath (as 'thanks' was) - this really helps to highlight the 'highly-thanked' posts
                                                                                                  3. The table on the homepage on the old site, listing the threads with the most recent posts (regardless of what forum/sub-forum it was in) was excellent and virtually the only way I (and I assume many others) navigated the site. It would be great if this could be implemented.

Thanks again

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                    Thanks for your efforts on the Dom.

A few observations:
                                                                                                    1. Fully agree with GAB's suggestion to remove the Facebook & twitter sharing options
                                                                                                    2. Is there any way to list the people who have liked a post underneath (as 'thanks' was) - this really helps to highlight the 'highly-thanked' posts
                                                                                                    3. The table on the homepage on the old site, listing the threads with the most recent posts (regardless of what forum/sub-forum it was in) was excellent and virtually the only way I (and I assume many others) navigated the site. It would be great if this could be implemented.

Thanks again
                                                                                                    1, I agree, and I've disabled this.
                                                                                                    2. Yes, but it is a paid modification elsewere. I'll look into it anyway and see what's what. Not top priority, but agree it would be nice.
                                                                                                    3. I have been looking to see if there is something similar, but no luck so far. I used it a lot too so would like something like this, but I'll keep looking into it.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      On this page

It's telling me (on Desktop/LightBlue skin) that Oleras has the last post in the BBV late last night.
                                                                                                      Though there's actually been about 15 posts since then.

Comment

#52

What do you mean by 'hidden' forums? Like the 'Cousins' one?
                                                                                                        Yes.
                                                                                                        Got a like button now thanks.
                                                                                                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          On this page

It's telling me (on Desktop/LightBlue skin) that Oleras has the last post in the BBV late last night.
                                                                                                          Though there's actually been about 15 posts since then.
                                                                                                          This seems fixed now.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            While discussion about "things we had before and don't now" is fine, and I will try to get to those things if there is a way to change/fix them, can anyone tell me if they are still seeing server errors, page not displayed type errors and the likes? There was a problem with www.irishpokerboards.com not loading but www.irishpokerboards.com/forum working, but I hope that is fixed now also. It's probably what caused some to get redirected briefly to the test site too.

If anyone has a problem like this, please post details here of the problematic URL, other details, etc.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Hey 6star, are you able to fix the site not secure stuff with the update?

Cheers

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                Hey 6star, are you able to fix the site not secure stuff with the update?

Cheers
                                                                                                                Ya, another one I've noticed, thanks. I need to bring this up with the hosting crowd I think.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Having problems after fixing secure link thing. Trying to fix.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Having problems after fixing secure link thing. Trying to fix.
                                                                                                                    Working now hopefully...

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      I assume the cousins forum was hidden on the old site, heard plenty about it but it wasn't visible to me. But I can clearly see it now so maybe it's inadvertently been made public?

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                                                                                        I assume the cousins forum was hidden on the old site, heard plenty about it but it wasn't visible to me. But I can clearly see it now so maybe it's inadvertently been made public?
                                                                                                                        Not quite public, but available to more as I wasn't doing it by individuals. Basically anyone over a small number of posts and registered a certain length can see it now.

If anyone doesn't want to see it send me a pm.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X