This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    How are the bbv Chromebooks working out?

Mine fell out of my bag and ended up with a cracked screen.

Think it might finally be time for a replacement. Looking pretty reasonable <200.
    Still using my Toshiba Chromebook 2 - although in last few weeks removed write protect and installed xubuntu over the top of Chrome OS as the device was end of life several years back and hadn't been getting updates for a long time.

Comment

Was looking up this guy before, and jaysus he has a mad back story. He was some sort of mafia lawyer?

A solicitor representing the estate of a deceased barrister has accused a hospital chief executive of concealing medical records, endangering his client and deliberately misleading the High Court.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Sorry man, only seeing this now as I was travelling Friday and couldn't get onto the site at all over the weekend.

You still on mobile number ending 79 - I can try give you a buzz later today
        Ah, fair play Brian, were you trying to call me earlier today at about 1.30?
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 22.26.15.png

Bug or future state? Who knows! But I just got my first daily limit 'error message'.... despite tweeting about once every 2 months.

Great work Elon.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

What success?
            More political winning in this two minutes last night than your man Don managed in his entire career.

He's effectively taken over the leadership of the GOP here

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Booked a nice restaurant for Turin next week for after I've finished some work there. Didn't think to check the price and seems the meal is going to work out at 200 freakin euro. Great city for food, in fairness to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

More political winning in this two minutes last night than your man Don managed in his entire career.

I think the secret to Joe - and we've seen it enough times at this stage for it to be a pattern and not a fluke - he's an absolute bollix of the highest order who will railroad through anyone who gets in his way. Not sure there's quite been a recent president (last few decades) with his ability to backroom deal and bust balls. His ability to be a bollix is what is underestimated. Suspect the average american has worked this out also given the results of the midterms where he should have lost everything given inflation etc, but instead did - statistically - spectacularly. The man is going to lap it home.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think the secret to Joe - and we've seen it enough times at this stage for it to be a pattern and not a fluke - he's an absolute bollix of the highest order who will railroad through anyone who gets in his way. Not sure there's quite been a recent president (last few decades) with his ability to backroom deal and bust balls. His ability to be a bollix is what is underestimated. Suspect the average american has worked this out also given the results of the midterms where he should have lost everything given inflation etc, but instead did - statistically - spectacularly. The man is going to lap it home.
                  It's very simple. As someone who has worked at the highest level in Washington for decades ('the swamp', durr, durr), he knows how to get shit done. He's quite similar to LBJ in that way. He clearly has an iron grip on the Democrats.

By contrast, Trump literally had no idea how government worked. He had power, but no idea how to use it.

Look what Biden did in that clip sp linked. He literally just put McCarthy in a position where he can't cut social programs. Superb.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's very simple. As someone who has worked at the highest level in Washington for decades ('the swamp', durr, durr), he knows how to get shit done. He's quite similar to LBJ in that way. He clearly has an iron grip on the Democrats.

By contrast, Trump literally had no idea how government worked. He had power, but no idea how to use it.

Look what Biden did in that clip sp linked. He literally just put McCarthy in a position where he can't cut social programs. Superb.
                    Have not been paying much attention lately to US politics, can you explain what he did there?

Comment

Booked a nice restaurant for Turin next week for after I've finished some work there. Didn't think to check the price and seems the meal is going to work out at 200 freakin euro. Great city for food, in fairness to it.
                      I don’t normally spend much time in higher end restaurants but I booked the Bishops Buttery in Cashel a little while ago, due to go next week.

Apparently it’s very good, recently picked up some form of Michelin accreditation but not sure exactly how they work.

I’d be useless to provide any type of restaurant review but I’ll report back with a yay or nay.
                      Perhaps it’s somewhere that Lao or others plan to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Have not been paying much attention lately to US politics, can you explain what he did there?
                        There's quite a large 'conservative' (I use the quotes as they are very different to what we would think of as conservative) caucus inside the GOP who have for years been clamouring for cuts to government spending on social programs like Medicare, Social Security etc. Biden just made their leadership deny, now that they hold the congressional majority, that they would ever contemplate taking such a step. He boxed them into a corner of their own making and owned them, live on tv.

Comment

Was watching this the other night. A fools mate and the ignorance of the Reps to still fall for it. Stupid by Trumpsmosis . Loved McCartney's face-FML .

Comment

"So folks, as we all apparently agree, social security and medicare are off the books now, right? We've got unanimity!"

The irony of course being that it's the dumb hick Trump voters who benefit the most from federal transfers.

Comment

In case anyone gets caught out like I did, Parcel Motel no longer exist in Ireland from tomorrow on.

No idea what happens to parcels in transit.
                              My package has been on an exciting odyssey in the last two weeks. Now in Port Laoise (via Limerick), awaiting shipment back to Austria.

At this rate, it'll have been to more places than me.

Comment

Cool site for tracking promises vs outcomes for biden, https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...r/?ruling=true
                                Actually seems to be doing quite well in the circumstances. The morre a bollocks he has been recently the more people seem to like him too.

Comment

I don't think we can correlate 'being a bollix' with 'getting shit done'.

Trump is the clearly the biggest bollix of all time in US politics, yet got close to nothing done. Biden is just a politician who's been around a very long time and knows how to pull on the levers of power to get shit done.

Comment

Not equating those, I mean being more sarcastic and witty in his public appearances than before. Dark Brandon as they call him.

Comment

Been waiting a few months for unclipping of electricity wires to allow external insulation to proceed. Posted a rant on twitter - shouting into the void. They got in touch, was briefly excited, until they said actually there's nothing they can do. Then it turns out I was teaching someone high up in there, which proceeded to their classmates slagging them off for letting down the class, and now they seem to have made it their personal mission that the company needs to halt everything else until we get our wires unclipped. All hands on deck.

Comment

Been waiting a few months for unclipping of electricity wires to allow external insulation to proceed. Posted a rant on twitter - shouting into the void. They got in touch, was briefly excited, until they said actually there's nothing they can do. Then it turns out I was teaching someone high up in there, which proceeded to their classmates slagging them off for letting down the class, and now they seem to have made it their personal mission that the company needs to halt everything else until we get our wires unclipped. All hands on deck.
                                        The told me they would turn up on 23-Feb. This was a bluff and they then unexpectedly turned up yesterday. Luckily Mrs D3 was at home.

They then cunningly countered by asking to speak to retrofit guy, who wasn't onsite. They managed to get away without doing any work by saying they would need him to have his scaffolding up first so they could have access. Naturally this was never mentioned previously.

Complete shower of useless fucks. Nearly as bad as Aer Lingus.

Comment

The told me they would turn up on 23-Feb. This was a bluff and they then unexpectedly turned up yesterday. Luckily Mrs D3 was at home.

They then cunningly countered by asking to speak to retrofit guy, who wasn't onsite. They managed to get away without doing any work by saying they would need him to have his scaffolding up first so they could have access. Naturally this was never mentioned previously.

ffs - and after all that waiting. Is this for a 'reclip' after work has been done? I'm not really sure what unclipping and reclipping actually means - you still have electricity in the house while it is 'unclipped'?

Comment

ffs - and after all that waiting. Is this for a 'reclip' after work has been done? I'm not really sure what unclipping and reclipping actually means - you still have electricity in the house while it is 'unclipped'?
                                            As far as I know, it's literally to move the point at which the electricity wires enter the house outward by 6 inches. So that it won't be covered by the external insulation.

I called 3 Fridays in a row looking for updates. On the last one, I got a blatant lie -
                                            'oh yes, looking at your file they called you and left a message'.
                                            'hmm, interesting - what day was that?'
                                            'Wednesday'.
                                            <I look at phone, no calls on Weds from non contacts, no messages>

Comment

Re Useless fucks in general

I was on to the regulator this am about the rebate of PSO Levy's from 1/10 onwards till 30/9.

Some companies have it set to 0 on their current bills (big companies) while a small company like Go power managed the almost miraculous feat of applying it as a minus figure on their bills. These poor beleaguered companies have only had a mere 4 months to comply with this directive ...of course they have absolutely no prblem increasing unit rates when you fall out of contract.

CRU girl hadn't a clue ..literally saying "oh I have a wall of information on it on the computer now...doo de doo....eh ...hmmm...don't know a while lot about the PSO levy...doo de doo" at this point I interjected gently that perhaps a colleague might have more information as regards this confounding charge (doo de doo) She took refuge in the old "I'll email it to you"

She sent an email with the "wall of information" and in paragraph 3 or so it states that basically companies may take a while to get their act together as regards rebating the levy on their billing system and in the interim they will charge 0.
                                              Once they overcome this momentous challenge they will pro rate the rebate over the remaining months.

Now I wonder what the odds would be on them actually doing this.

Anyway I responded with a number of queries as to their oversight on this and measures they will take to ensure compliance etc.

TLDR - Useless fucks

​​​​​
                                              Last edited by dinekes; 09-02-23, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I don’t normally spend much time in higher end restaurants but I booked the Bishops Buttery in Cashel a little while ago, due to go next week.

Apparently it’s very good, recently picked up some form of Michelin accreditation but not sure exactly how they work.

I’d be useless to provide any type of restaurant review but I’ll report back with a yay or nay.
                                                Ate there on Tuesday night and it was excellent, started with the Crab, went for Sole main and soufflé dessert, and each were excellent. It’s 105e for the 4-course, no option of al la carte, but the service and offerings were top notch. Worth a premium price. GL2her had the beetroot, angelotti and Apple Tart and likewise licked the plates, I’d definitely be back.

Comment

Just as follow up to PSO Levy rebate
                                                  DOmestic rebate = €89.10 p/a
                                                  Small business 30kva or under= €311.51 p/a
                                                  Medium big business greater than 30KVa= €37.82 per KVA p/a

This rebate was approved by the regulator from 1/10/22 and so the above rebates should be issued on bills between 1/10 and 30/09 AFAIK

Some companies still just charging 0 when they should have a minus figure in there and this has been allowed by the regulator as an interim measure until they get around to doing it properly.

Check your bills especially if you are a business account and make sure they comply.

Bigger businesses would be entitled to thousands in rebates.

Comment

Flight out @ 8am tomorrow morning, no check in bag, what time do I need to get there at?
                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Stayed in Cashel Palace a couple of months back and thought it was very good. Great pool. Skipped Bishops Buttery as we'd a 1yo with us and had a really excellent meal in Mikey Ryans. Will definitely be back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Ate there on Tuesday night and it was excellent, started with the Crab, went for Sole main and soufflé dessert, and each were excellent. It’s 105e for the 4-course, no option of al la carte, but the service and offerings were top notch. Worth a premium price. GL2her had the beetroot, angelotti and Apple Tart and likewise licked the plates, I’d definitely be back.
                                                        Did you stay too? We’re just doing one night. There’s usually someone to ask about but I don’t seem to know anyone who has stayed there.

*Good timing Champs. Similar original plan but little fella is staying home so made the jump.
                                                        Last edited by Murdrum; 09-02-23, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                          Flight out @ 8am tomorrow morning, no check in bag, what time do I need to get there at?
                                                          7am is fine if you're happy to go straight from Security to gate. I do it most weeks and arrive around 6.45/6.50 for the 7.40 to LHR (I have Fast Track, but at that time normal lines are 5/10 mins max recently).

Comment

Do they have the better scanners for security in both terminals now?
                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Did you stay too? We’re just doing one night. There’s usually someone to ask about but I don’t seem to know anyone who has stayed there.

*Good timing Champs. Similar original plan but little fella is staying home so made the jump.
                                                              Yeah stayed there for 2 nights, ate in Mike Ryans the first night which was grand, but we were late sitting down and it was uncomfortably warm so not the greatest judges for that one. Bar is cool and service is good, I only had a burger which I enjoyed but wouldn’t be enough to recommend. Sounds like Champ had a better experience and I’d say his is probably more reflective.

Rooms are really nice and worth getting garden view if you can, I wouldn’t recommend the suites/villas on the way in as they are a bit noisy and out of the way.

Breakfast and the afternoon tea were also very nice, I don’t normally like Afternoon Tea but they was the right side of portion size and sweetness and again service was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ah, fair play Brian, were you trying to call me earlier today at about 1.30?

That wasn't me but will defo give you a call tomorrow morning

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

Stayed in Cashel Palace a couple of months back and thought it was very good. Great pool. Skipped Bishops Buttery as we'd a 1yo with us and had a really excellent meal in Mikey Ryans. Will definitely be back soon.
                                                                  That's gas, I was booked in to stay there tonight and to eat in Ryan's but had to back out.

Having not been in Cashel since it was bypassed I happened to be there twice in one week a couple of months ago and its a lovely town now.

Comment

Bye bye Burt

The album he did with Elvis Costello is one of my all time favourites, Genuinely top class work.

Comment

The Apprentice

SPOILER
                                                                      Seems the Scotsman who 'left for health reasons' actually got drunk on the free booze on the plane to Dubai. An admirable way to exit the process imo.
                                                                      Better than being the victim of another utterly incorrect firing, like happened to Joe tonight

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                        The Apprentice

SPOILER
                                                                        Seems the Scotsman who 'left for health reasons' actually got drunk on the free booze on the plane to Dubai. An admirable way to exit the process imo.
                                                                        Better than being the victim of another utterly incorrect firing, like happened to Joe tonight
                                                                        Powering my way through Inside No. 9,
                                                                        definitely more hit than miss, with some bordering on genius.
                                                                        The misdirection of what you think may be the horror only to be hit by a far worse outcome is very shocking!
                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Haven't looked at the apprentice, so won't click the spoiler, but it really is such a stupid (yet entertaining) setup. Every task - one sub-team do this, one-sub-team do this - BUT - you can't talk to each other - you're individual work will be a surprise to each other until right before going in to pitch to a multi-billion dollar company. Its so fucking stupid. Also that task where they need to find 10 things but can only use a paper map and make phonecalls. Whats the skill being tested?????

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                            The Apprentice

SPOILER
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            lol, we were thinking covid. That's fantastic though. Tough enough call out of the three of them. Rochelle maybe more deserving, but poor Joe signed his death warrant with the 'honesty is best policy' line. Even though it is. He had more to offer I felt.

Comment

Bye bye Burt

The album he did with Elvis Costello is one of my all time favourites, Genuinely top class work.

My dad passed away when i was 9 . A couple of years later my mother remarried . To make a long story relevant he was a huge BB fan and known for singing renditions of his songs. Fittingly he passed away yesterday on the same day . Very peacefully . The staff in the hospice are beyond amazing . They derserve every donation they get.

Epoch ending stuff with BB passing. What a legacy .

Raindrops keep falling on my head.

Comment

Haven't looked at the apprentice, so won't click the spoiler, but it really is such a stupid (yet entertaining) setup. Every task - one sub-team do this, one-sub-team do this - BUT - you can't talk to each other - you're individual work will be a surprise to each other until right before going in to pitch to a multi-billion dollar company. Its so fucking stupid. Also that task where they need to find 10 things but can only use a paper map and make phonecalls. Whats the skill being tested?????
                                                                                It’s beyond cringeworthy at times and the tasks are sometimes awful but it is entertaining.
                                                                                It feels like it needs to be freshened up somehow. I think they’ll make some tweaks pretty soon.

That said, when you see the success of some of the contestants especially some of the Irish contestants it appears that the people chosen must have a bit about them.

Comment

Safe spoiler for you.

SPOILER
                                                                                  Yeah, the splitting up and not communicating is ridiculous and makes no sense other than entertainment. I got a great laugh though a couple of weeks ago.

'So we're running with the two of them finishing it off with a clap handies game. Can you see any reason why that won't work?

'Eh, yeah. They've no hands'

Comment

Marnie the winner imo.

Comment

Just on the Biden discussion in recent days. Noahpinion’s take on Bidenomics

Comment

After work drinks tonight. Usually somebody presents a project or something internal. But post-covid we’ve kicked off internal talks. Today we have in the the Deputy Chair of Arup in to present the their work on Sangrada Familia. From the origins, history, progress, or lack thereof over the last 140 years, to prefabricated 3D stone panels.
                                                                                        The vision and scale was phenomenal, but also equally insane. Textbooks seemed to refer to it as an incomplete masterpiece, somewhat implying that it could not be complete, at the time not incorrect.
                                                                                        They’ve been building since the 1880s, a different time obviously but they commenced what was essentially an impossible task. The ability to complete it has only really become feasible in the last few years. Completion is somewhat in sight. I left tonight with my mind made up that I’ll be visiting at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                          After work drinks tonight. Usually somebody presents a project or something internal. But post-covid we’ve kicked off internal talks. Today we have in the the Deputy Chair of Arup in to present the their work on Sangrada Familia. From the origins, history, progress, or lack thereof over the last 140 years, to prefabricated 3D stone panels.
                                                                                          The vision and scale was phenomenal, but also equally insane. Textbooks seemed to refer to it as an incomplete masterpiece, somewhat implying that it could not be complete, at the time not incorrect.
                                                                                          They’ve been building since the 1880s, a different time obviously but they commenced what was essentially an impossible task. The ability to complete it has only really become feasible in the last few years. Completion is somewhat in sight. I left tonight with my mind made up that I’ll be visiting at some point.
                                                                                          One of the most beautiful and amazing places I've ever been to. Everything about it is magical.

Comment

That's the most sophisticated after-work drinks of all time.

Especially when you consider a pot of yoghurt has more culture than Australia.

Comment

Most weeks are just drinks. Every few weeks a talk somewhat on those sort of topics. Architecture, engineering, art. Internal speakers can be a bit random. But they make make a bigger effort with the external speakers. Food and drink was a Spanish theme. Paella, jamon, manchego. Estrella and Rioja.

Wonder if they’ll go irish for Paddy’s day?

Comment

Phone call from a manager at 8pm last night from his mobile. Lad just turned up at the house today. Thank fuck I had given that guy an A last semester. Always give As, just in case, is the life lesson here.

Comment

It is spectacular. Easy enough to pop over whenever you're in Dublin, there must be 10-15 flights a day Dublin-Barcelona due to Vueling having a Dublin base. Costs pennies also.

Comment

I always wondered about this but never bothered to look it up - what parts are not complete and WHY could they just not finish it? Like WHAT exactly was impossible or so hard they couldn't just throw resource at it?

Comment

I was about to say, in my day, after work drinks was when you tried to score Mairead from accounts.

Most weeks are just drinks. Every few weeks a talk somewhat on those sort of topics. Architecture, engineering, art. Internal speakers can be a bit random. But they make make a bigger effort with the external speakers. Food and drink was a Spanish theme. Paella, jamon, manchego. Estrella and Rioja.

Wonder if they’ll go irish for Paddy’s day?

You could one up the Sangrada Familia by presenting on how we've been building a metro line to the airport since the 1870's and not only have we not completed it, we haven't even started it!

Comment

It is spectacular. Easy enough to pop over whenever you're in Dublin, there must be 10-15 flights a day Dublin-Barcelona due to Vueling having a Dublin base. Costs pennies also.
                                                                                                        There's about 4-6, I go every year and annoyingly they have removed the veuling 3pm flight which was just perfect.
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Hmmm
                                                                                                          Might be our next family culture adventure, once I get the hellscape that is Disneyland Paris firmly in the rearview mirror.
                                                                                                          6 days and counting till Newport Bay and the search for 'hidden mickeys'
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Becoming more and more of a fan of George Santos. The man, the myth, the legend. What has he not done.

Comment

I have a new song out, and this one has singing! https://open.spotify.com/track/4aIPv...e6317dd7a24b50

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

My dad passed away when i was 9 . A couple of years later my mother remarried . To make a long story relevant he was a huge BB fan and known for singing renditions of his songs. Fittingly he passed away yesterday on the same day . Very peacefully . The staff in the hospice are beyond amazing . They derserve every donation they get.

Epoch ending stuff with BB passing. What a legacy .

Raindrops keep falling on my head.
                                                                                                                Just found out today

Burt Bacharach born 12th May 1928... John 12th May 1938....nice councidence .

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                  I have a new song out, and this one has singing! https://open.spotify.com/track/4aIPv...e6317dd7a24b50
                                                                                                                  wowsers. that's really good. Aoife is the singer? Some voice on her! Did you write the words?

Comment

There is a new, rather large, global project in work at the minute. It's being rolled out by the CEO and the board of directors so it has top level priority. Before Christmas, there was some talk about it and what would be involved, it seemed relatively OK so I approached my boss and volunteered to be a lead on it. I want to raise my profile a bit over the next few months in order to help get selected for a bigger programme which has serious uplift potential.

Everything then went quiet until last Friday when somewhat out of nowhere, the project starts to get rolled out at 4pm Irish time. We were basically given 5 days (4 for me due to the bank holiday) to get the entire project up and running globally (350 offices) and have the first set of results from it in and ready for auditing

Fuck.My.Life.

That'll well and truly learn me for trying to be clever and leaping before I look at the very detailed fine print

Comment

wowsers. that's really good. Aoife is the singer? Some voice on her! Did you write the words?
                                                                                                                      Thank you! Aoife wrote the lyrics. Yeah she has an amazing voice

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                        There is a new, rather large, global project in work at the minute. It's being rolled out by the CEO and the board of directors so it has top level priority. Before Christmas, there was some talk about it and what would be involved, it seemed relatively OK so I approached my boss and volunteered to be a lead on it. I want to raise my profile a bit over the next few months in order to help get selected for a bigger programme which has serious uplift potential.

Everything then went quiet until last Friday when somewhat out of nowhere, the project starts to get rolled out at 4pm Irish time. We were basically given 5 days (4 for me due to the bank holiday) to get the entire project up and running globally (350 offices) and have the first set of results from it in and ready for auditing

Fuck.My.Life.

That'll well and truly learn me for trying to be clever and leaping before I look at the very detailed fine print
                                                                                                                        Jesus. I'm stressed out reading that.

Tell you what, you're a real sound dude taking time out of that sort of day today to help me out. Fair play man.

Comment

Selling % for the upcoming Dublin Poker Festival if anyone is interested in a sweat over 2 tourneys.

Hi guys, Looking to sell up to 50% for the upcoming Dublin Poker Festival. Link to schedule https://www.dublinpokerfestival.com/schedule The €300 ACOP starting on Thursday 16th Feb. I'll be playing day 1B on Friday 17th Feb. And the €570 European Deepstack starting on Thursday 23rd Feb day 1A which I'll be playing. 1.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X