This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yeah. Although airport pubs tend to be brutal at the best of times. They were always handy for an 8am no-judgement pint when I lived in the UK. Was in the one in the IFSC a while back and it was quite class to be honest. Prices were almost half of any other pub, and a nice feel to the place.
    I haven't been in an Irish Wetherspoons but the British versions are terrible, terrible places. Frequented by the dregs of society mainly, full of poker machines and the like, bad food, poor staff and bad drink. The fact that it is cheapish is something but they don't have (at least in my experience) more premium brands like Peroni. So you're drinking shite like Fosters and Kronenburg.

Beer in England is lol-bad anyhow compared to here.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
      New Ep of Huberman podcast is great. Highly recommend. Lazare you'll prob find it more interesting than most.

https://hubermanlab.com/dr-andy-galp...-your-fitness/
      Part 2 of 6 is out. Just the casual 4.5 hours. That is taking the piss a little!

Comment

hotspur Any views on Steve Peters? He is the psychiatrist attached to loads of famous sporting people like Ronnie, Team GB, etc.

I watched this podcast with him and was tempted to give the book (A Path Through The Jungle) a go as I enjoyed the podcast. Hard for me to discern though if what he preaches has value or is mainly pseudoscience Talking mainly about the simplistic model of the brain which underpins much of his work. He calls it The Chimp Paradox in his first book.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          Hadn't heard about this before

Was that just before it closed down? Still feels like a gap in the market since Fitz closed.

Comment

Jaysis, 3 hours worth of trying to give foreign colleagues a flavour of Irish pub life. Ready to shoot myself were it not for the sole Indian lady horsing pina coladas like water. Still, though. Over and beyond the call of duty imo.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Was that just before it closed down? Still feels like a gap in the market since Fitz closed.
              No idea, HJ would be the man to answer that.

Dublin Poker Club bave created a nice club in the Bonnington which suits me living in Ashbourne but I assume you're talking about city centre. Think I only ever played in the Fitz once, about 15 years ago. Was an awful kip.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Jaysis, 3 hours worth of trying to give foreign colleagues a flavour of Irish pub life. Ready to shoot myself were it not for the sole Indian lady horsing pina coladas like water. Still, though. Over and beyond the call of duty imo.
                Deffo would have sung the Pina Colada song.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

No idea, HJ would be the man to answer that.

Dublin Poker Club bave created a nice club in the Bonnington which suits me living in Ashbourne but I assume you're talking about city centre. Think I only ever played in the Fitz once, about 15 years ago. Was an awful kip.
                  The Fitz was great imo

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

The Fitz was great imo
                    I'm sure many people would agree. It just wasn't my experience.

Comment

Deffo would have sung the Pina Colada song.
                      Sing it for us there Shane.

SPOILER
                      Back around 1992, I met Shane for a drink in Joe Corcoran's snug. we were having a quiet jar when some asshole stuck his head in from the bar and asked Shane to sing a song. Shane said "Not now, maybe later." This went on for about a half an hour and we were getting pissed off as we hadn't met for a while and had a few things to talk about.

Shane: "What do you do for a living?"

Asshole: "I'm a carpenter"

Shane: "Make me a fucking table"

Comment

Sing it for us there Shane.

SPOILER
                        Back around 1992, I met Shane for a drink in Joe Corcoran's snug. we were having a quiet jar when some asshole stuck his head in from the bar and asked Shane to sing a song. Shane said "Not now, maybe later." This went on for about a half an hour and we were getting pissed off as we hadn't met for a while and had a few things to talk about.

Shane: "What do you do for a living?"

Asshole: "I'm a carpenter"

Shane: "Make me a fucking table"
                        Yes, I like piña coladas
                        And gettin' caught in the rain
                        I'm not much into health food
                        I am into champagne
                        I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon
                        And cut through all this red tape
                        At a bar called O'Malley's
                        Where we'll plan our escape

Comment

I'll be happy when all the Weatherspoons are gone. I haven't set foot in an Irish one but the UK ones are absolute fucking kips.

I was in one over 13 years ago in Birmingham. Was over there for work for a week and one of the lads I know well asked me out for a few pints. Rather than go into the city centre, we hit up his local which was a Wetherspoons. Jesus, it was grim. We had food, if you could call it that, rank microwave heated burgers and a few pints of piss.

Next of all, some lad walks out of the jacks with his mickey hanging out of his trousers waving it at people and then shouting at them 'Are you a queer cunt, staring at me fucking cock?' And then trying to start a fight with them because they were gay and trying to ride him. This went on for a while with no staff doing anything about it. It was only broken up as your man and his mates went back into the jacks every so often to snort more coke up their noses.

The tension in the place was mental, you could tell it was about to fully kick off at any minute. We decided to call it a night but we were only two minutes down the road when we could see people spilling out of the pub and a good few people roaring at each other and squaring off against each other.

Comment

Yes, I like piña coladas
                            And gettin' caught in the rain
                            I'm not much into health food
                            I am into champagne
                            I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon
                            And cut through all this red tape
                            At a bar called O'Malley's
                            Where we'll plan our escape
                            I hear ya brother, I hear ya.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

That's what we do.

Action Saturday/Sunday Funday
                              Wander around town and in the last few months have introduced her to
                              sushi, ramen, mezz (bethlaham in rathmines, a real treat), indian, chinese (not curry and rice stuff), potstickers, bao, korean
                              and all manner of things that dont appear on the standard goujons and chips kids menu.
                              Some of it goes over more than others but I think she'll be the better for it i nthe long run
                              My boys embrace the culinary variety available in Dublin They'll try anything from Chicken Tenders at a Mexican Restaurant to Chicken Tenders at a Mediterranean Restaurant. (The missus )

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                I'll be happy when all the Weatherspoons are gone. I haven't set foot in an Irish one but the UK ones are absolute fucking kips.

I was in one over 13 years ago in Birmingham. Was over there for work for a week and one of the lads I know well asked me out for a few pints. Rather than go into the city centre, we hit up his local which was a Wetherspoons. Jesus, it was grim. We had food, if you could call it that, rank microwave heated burgers and a few pints of piss.

Next of all, some lad walks out of the jacks with his mickey hanging out of his trousers waving it at people and then shouting at them 'Are you a queer cunt, staring at me fucking cock?' And then trying to start a fight with them because they were gay and trying to ride him. This went on for a while with no staff doing anything about it. It was only broken up as your man and his mates went back into the jacks every so often to snort more coke up their noses.

The tension in the place was mental, you could tell it was about to fully kick off at any minute. We decided to call it a night but we were only two minutes down the road when we could see people spilling out of the pub and a good few people roaring at each other and squaring off against each other.
                                Surely the only valid response is to whip out your own mickey and have some kind of deranged dance off.
                                Hard to get into a fight if nothing else.

Comment

I'm working with a Dublin football player, young lad. Am training him in for a sales role.

He was telling me all about the set up today. Mind blowing how professional it is.

He's training six days a week and at any given session there's approx 36 backroom staff there.

That includes drone operators. Cameras are set up at each goal, with drones flying above capturing everything. The next evening he could be called in to review footage and explain why he did certain things.

Said he's allowed take a Lemsip but not a Lemsip Max. He had flu meds recently prescribed and he had to send in the full details of them. Was told no, he had to bin them.

Said also that whenever they play a game players are banned from using social media for two weeks. Can't share a cat picture on FB.

Tight security around training too so no eyes can get on what they're at.

Fascinating stuff.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Surely the only valid response is to whip out your own mickey and have some kind of deranged dance off.
                                    This lad was one bear you definetely did not want to poke

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

You're making me doubt the stag do I have to go to in a month in England. Can't see it ending well with the amount of beer, strippers, and [a new category for me] beer wenches that have already been booked. There's already far too many stories in this group, that if we feel the need to top usual behaviour its going to be absolute carnage.
                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Don't really understand why the Emporium, by far the best facility for poker in Dublin, with Parkinson doing front of house and a decently structured game isn't getting anything like the numbers the Fitz EOM was.

I see it's on tomorrow night, unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be able to make it. Always thought that Friday would be a better night for it and that it suited the Fitz to bring in a bigger crowd on Thu because they were going to be busy on Fridays by default.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Don't really understand why the Emporium, by far the best facility for poker in Dublin, with Parkinson doing front of house and a decently structured game isn't getting anything like the numbers the Fitz EOM was.

I see it's on tomorrow night, unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be able to make it. Always thought that Friday would be a better night for it and that it suited the Fitz to bring in a bigger crowd on Thu because they were going to be busy on Fridays by default.
                                          It always feels a bit like they are trying to save on the electricity bill and the poker player isn't the focus. Guess that's it, no. Plus parking is maybe a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                            hotspur Any views on Steve Peters? He is the psychiatrist attached to loads of famous sporting people like Ronnie, Team GB, etc.
                                            I haven't read any of his stuff or listened to him.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

slacking off with age? its grand, it gets to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                I'm working with a Dublin football player, young lad. Am training him in for a sales role.

He was telling me all about the set up today. Mind blowing how professional it is.

He's training six days a week and at any given session there's approx 36 backroom staff there.

That includes drone operators. Cameras are set up at each goal, with drones flying above capturing everything. The next evening he could be called in to review footage and explain why he did certain things.

Said he's allowed take a Lemsip but not a Lemsip Max. He had flu meds recently prescribed and he had to send in the full details of them. Was told no, he had to bin them.

Said also that whenever they play a game players are banned from using social media for two weeks. Can't share a cat picture on FB.

Tight security around training too so no eyes can get on what they're at.

Fascinating stuff.
                                                I was involved with a senior inter-county team a few years ago in a data collection type role.
                                                I was assisting a friend of mine who was directly involved in the set up but cool experience in college going to the games, training sessions, listening in on some of the discussions.

As you say, the level of professionalism is incredible. The drones weren’t a thing when I was there but all the video feedback was available for challenge matches through championship.

Social media probably wasn’t the minefield then that it is now but I can imagine they well warned on it.

It was really enjoyable overall and probably a large reason why I landed my first job out of college tbh.

Comment

Have the book. Dont have make me feel like the rest of the chimps . At least I'm aware.

Bonos new book is good - very nostalgic imo.

Comment

You have always worried me .

Comment

I think the Banshees of Inishfree should win an award for most pretentious film title.

Yikes . InishErin .
                                                      Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-01-23, 09:06.

Comment

I think the Banshees of Inishfree should win an award for most pretentious film title.
                                                        Surprised at that Solks. I thought the old fashioned poetic air about it would be up your street. I heard Ronnie Drew gave if 5 Pints of Plain out of 5

Comment

I just like the double SH sounds in it
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Is that the planned sequel based in Sligo?

Comment

Me Inish is wrong

If you were asked to come up with a movie title to sound as Oirish as possible this would definitely suit the billing. I’m sure the Americans love it.

Ronnie Drew would probably call it, The Fiddlers cross – I’m picking bones of course. Although I’m stunned it’s up for so many Oscars. We feed off our Irishness well in Hollywood.
                                                              The fingers thing is stupid but sure, diddley eye diddle eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I just like the double SH sounds in it
                                                                should have called it shit show in innisherin for the treble sure

Comment

You're making me doubt the stag do I have to go to in a month in England. Can't see it ending well with the amount of beer, strippers, and [a new category for me] beer wenches that have already been booked. There's already far too many stories in this group, that if we feel the need to top usual behaviour its going to be absolute carnage.

Comment

If I have a public sector pension now (i'm never leaving this place - ever) should I still pay into my private one too?
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                      If I have a public sector pension now (i'm never leaving this place - ever) should I still pay into my private one too?
                                                                      You can do AVCs into your public pension to basically top it up. No need for a separate one I would have thought.

Comment

Back to the Inish movie . I've read it was an allegory type ref to the Civil War . I get that and I'm not saying its a bad movie but is it really so great with amazing acting ? I don't see it and im a fan of the actors involved.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

You can do AVCs into your public pension to basically top it up. No need for a separate one I would have thought.
                                                                          Thanks very much.

What age staff member should I be aiming to hook up with that would have a defined benefit pension? The ones that get half their final years wages as their pension annually?
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Back to the Inish movie . I've read it was an allegory type ref to the Civil War . I get that and I'm not saying its a bad movie but is it really so great with amazing acting ? I don't see it and im a fan of the actors involved.
                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Thanks very much.

What age staff member should I be aiming to hook up with that would have a defined benefit pension? The ones that get half their final years wages as their pension annually?
                                                                              My understanding is that someone who entered service pre 2012 and has 40 years service will get half of their final salary as pension (plus any AVCs). Post 2012 it is half of the average salary of the period of service (or to be more exact 1/80 of average salary for each year worked).

I'm not PS though.

Comment

Me Inish is wrong

If you were asked to come up with a movie title to sound as Oirish as possible this would definitely suit the billing. I’m sure the Americans love it.

Ronnie Drew would probably call it, The Fiddlers cross – I’m picking bones of course. Although I’m stunned it’s up for so many Oscars. We feed off our Irishness well in Hollywood.
                                                                                The fingers thing is stupid but sure, diddley eye diddle eye.
                                                                                Accusing the title of pandering to Oirish America is strange given that it's the name of the play he wrote in 1994, more than a decade before the possibility of films and America.

Comment

Calculating today the electricity bill is going to be €1,300 for the last two months. Three days over the last two months with more than 50kwh in heating used. Average of 30kwh a day in Jan. The external insulation can't come soon enough, although ESB have clearly worked out we're a cash cow and its now been three months of waiting for the fuckers to turn up and unclip the wires so the insulation can proceed.

Comment

Have reached out to john balfe but throwing in here too - anyone got a recommendation for a tiler? Very small kitchen job

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                      Have reached out to john balfe but throwing in here too - anyone got a recommendation for a tiler? Very small kitchen job
                                                                                      tylerdurden94 ?

Comment

Calculating today the electricity bill is going to be €1,300 for the last two months. Three days over the last two months with more than 50kwh in heating used. Average of 30kwh a day in Jan. The external insulation can't come soon enough, although ESB have clearly worked out we're a cash cow and its now been three months of waiting for the fuckers to turn up and unclip the wires so the insulation can proceed.
                                                                                        Are you running a grow house in the attic? Our bill for Dec-Jan was €260, in a similarly uninsulated place.

Comment

Accusing the title of pandering to Oirish America is strange given that it's the name of the play he wrote in 1994, more than a decade before the possibility of films and America.
                                                                                          When was pandering 1st introduced?

Comment

Mine will be around €700-€800 but that includes an industrial humidifier for a week and immersion being set to never turn off for several weeks, yours is impressive!
                                                                                            Still trying to figure out how to set up my air to water right, as there is a really ambiguous dial for when the immersion will kick in, and also how hot to aim to keep the tank.

Comment

There is no easy way to break this to you, but you're most likely coming home in a body bag

Comment

Its the electric radiators. They're an absolute curse in an uninsulated place. But ... should be brilliant in an insulated place. That electricity bill includes charging the car also. And there's no gas. Still mad. Now it will easily halve by this time next year with the insulation, and every summer will continue to be a mad excess of electricity produced from the solar panels.
                                                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 26-01-23, 16:14.

Comment

Its the electric radiators. They're an absolute curse in an uninsulated place. But ... should be brilliant in an insulated place. That electricity bill includes charging the car also. And there's no gas. Still mad. Now it will easily halve by this time next year with the insulation, and every summer will continue to be a mad excess of electricity produced from the solar panels.
                                                                                                  What sort/brand of electric radiators did you get? Looking at getting one in only one room.

Also, did you get your place rewired? $$$?

Comment

Mine is €200 with the levy. Was looking at the bill compared to last year and usage is broadly similar, just the rates have doubled, is 47.54c per unit for day time usage and 23.53c per unit for night time.​​​
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

What sort/brand of electric radiators did you get? Looking at getting one in only one room.

8k I paid for a full rewire. Big job tbf.

Comment

€10k for the rewire. Got ATC SunRay radiators. They're highly efficient if they aren't heating a house with no insulation. Although the guy that fitted the new hot water tank was saying there's an even newer type of one that uses infrared to heat a particular spot in the room. Not quite sure what it means, but he was getting them installed and was in the energy-saving business, so guess they are good.

Comment

8k I paid for a full rewire. Big job tbf.
                                                                                                          It's entirely possible we paid too much, but the difference in our prices might be:

1. Getting the garage wired also
                                                                                                          2. Getting a car charger installed (paid the full price for the charger as didn't have time to claim the grant)

So reasonably similar pricing.

Comment

€10k for the rewire. Got ATC SunRay radiators. They're highly efficient if they aren't heating a house with no insulation. Although the guy that fitted the new hot water tank was saying there's an even newer type of one that uses infrared to heat a particular spot in the room. Not quite sure what it means, but he was getting them installed and was in the energy-saving business, so guess they are good.
                                                                                                            We had a kitchen fitter in yesterday and they had an electrician with them for part of the job. Asked him to take a look at a couple of thing while he was there. Recommended ATC and asked about the wiring as have another electrician due to have a look and he said around 10k (though reckoned it wasn't something we needed to do on the spot

Comment

It's entirely possible we paid too much, but the difference in our prices might be:

1. Getting the garage wired also
                                                                                                              2. Getting a car charger installed (paid the full price for the charger as didn't have time to claim the grant)

So reasonably similar pricing.
                                                                                                              The first guy quoted 15k so sounds like you were in the right ballpark.
                                                                                                              Money well spent though imo.

Comment

The gov credit covered my last bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  The gov credit covered my last bill.
                                                                                                                  Yeah. Have to think Hitchhiker's Guide To... is keeping the house warm 24h a day, as like some experiment in how much it costs to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Yeah. Have to think Hitchhiker's Guide To... is keeping the house warm 24h a day, as like some experiment in how much it costs to do so.
                                                                                                                    Ah only messing. Think mine is around €500, though that's 1 person being pretty frugal. A wife and 2 kids would obviously kick things up a bit

Comment

It always feels a bit like they are trying to save on the electricity bill and the poker player isn't the focus. Guess that's it, no. Plus parking is maybe a thing.
                                                                                                                      35 tonight

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Not even close. The main room is kept at 18 degrees during the day, 19 degrees in the evening. 10 degrees at night. Rest of the house is 10 degrees until the evening when it turns to 16 degrees. Neighbour was saying the same, these houses just leak heat!
                                                                                                                        ​​​​​

Comment

You'd have to hope Karen Brady isn't that much of a Karen in real life. Such an obnoxious personality.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X