This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Both the original quote and your parsing of it are unimaginably frustrating.

Why oh why would people's views on protections in power-imbalanced societies change depending on their relative share of the power?

More people need to read John Rawls. There, I said it.
    Funny you should mention Rawls, his theory of justice was the subject of yesterday's in our time

Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss John Rawls' influential ideas on liberty and equality.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Will absolutely be checking that out, thank you!

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Get a dog. Problem solved.
        I have put a stone on since our German Shepherd died in August. A friend helpfully reminded me recently that it was not compulsory to have a dog to get up off my ass and do a 45 min walk.

Comment

Wasn't it Tar that made a point before that it's not your politics, worldview and outlook that's changing. The world is changing while you're standing still.

It's like how we imagine old folk. The conservative clothing, conservative hairstyles. We imagine that one day we turn into that.

We don't.

Those old folks looked and dressed that way when they were young.

The vision of what it is to be elderly will be so different for our kids. Old folks in jeans with tattoos.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The idea of doing anything more than cycling to work before about 11 am is a non-starter. Don't reckon I've been up before 7:30 for about 5 years. Hoping that continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Wasn't it Tar that made a point before that it's not your politics, worldview and outlook that's changing. The world is changing while you're standing still.

It's like how we imagine old folk. The conservative clothing, conservative hairstyles. We imagine that one day we turn into that.

We don't.

The vision of what it is to be elderly will be so different for our kids. Old folks in jeans with tattoos.
              Yea I go to work in respectable jeans and a plain hoodie these days and I just assume the students think I'm in old man clothes.

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Why oh why would people's views on protections in power-imbalanced societies change depending on their relative share of the power?

Jeez man. You need to chill a bit.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

We don't.

yeah fair, your dress style, and your music tastes get arrested at certain points in your life and it never changes (for most people).
                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

yeah fair, your dress style, and your music tastes get arrested at certain points in your life and it never changes (for most people).
                      Have had a few comments about my skinny jeans

Tbf, they're pretty much flares on me.

Comment

Ultra right wing Israelis would like a word.

Comment

People who exercise before midday should be scalded. There I said it!

I actually have a preference that nobody even speak in the morning. Although having said that there I'll be tomorrow morning facilitating a mental health group encouraging them to open their stupid mouths. I mean some of them haven't even read Rawls!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            The idea of doing anything more than cycling to work before about 11 am is a non-starter. Don't reckon I've been up before 7:30 for about 5 years. Hoping that continues.
                            It was totally anathema to me before I was forced into it, I would have said similar to you had anyone suggested it.

Life changing though. Would heartily recommend trying. Wait until Summer though to get the full endorphins.

Pick some Friday night to take it easy and hit the sack relatively early.

Get up and out the door at 6am Saturday for an hour walk, jog, cycle whatever.

Nobody around, the world to yourself. Birds singing (bats this time of year), silence.

Get back and brew coffee, stick on some food and music, the whole weekend fully ahead of you.

Tell you what, the beer or wine and steak that evening will be the best beers wine and streak you'll experience. They pair well with endorphins.

Comment

No shock to anyone here but couldn't agree more with Laz, that is the dream except summer is golf at 6am done by 9:30 home by 10 and THEN coffee and chill.
                              And regarding running, a nice fresh and frostry october morning, is the winner for me.

Comment

Nitro surging my 4th right now by the way.

Fuck practising what you preach.

Comment

Ironically, '4x Nitro Surges' sounds a bit like excersise.

Comment

No shock to anyone here but couldn't agree more with Laz, that is the dream except summer is golf at 6am done by 9:30 home by 10 and THEN coffee and chill.
                                    And regarding running, a nice fresh and frostry october morning, is the winner for me.
                                    Autumn running is pretty magical alright. I love the real cold too though, it's just the darkness is a prick.

Base layer, hoodie, snood and hat. Something nice about it.

Rarely ever run with headphones, used to a lot at the start but one of my most memorable runs was a dark winter moonlit morning, ice cold with Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon on. Such a rush.

Comment

I see your bud Noel peeping in the app from time to time Laz. Give him a free tweak for his support will ya, you can pass it to him tell him to enter CONORSADOSE into the promo code field on his profile page and we'll give him a free tweak.

Comment

I see your bud Noel peeping in the app from time to time Laz. Give him a free tweak for his support will ya, you can pass it to him tell him to enter CONORSADOSE into the promo code field on his profile page and we'll give him a free tweak.
                                        Haha, I will do bro.

Thanks v much, legend.

Comment

as surprising as it might be considering my circumstances I would say that, conservatively, I'm up 14 out of 15 mornings before 8am. Seems such a waste to have this opportunity and spend it in bed.
                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

See some NHL player under fire for not wearing a pride themed jersey due to religious convictions.
                                            TBF pride stuff is so naff , it looks terrible
                                            remember when the stereotype about gay guys was that they were more stylish dressers than straight men- definitely no longer the case.
                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I’d feel weird just going for a walk without a dog
                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

What was the name of that woods that either degag or dinekes went to recently? Near Tibradden maybe. Have an inclination towards fresh air and a determination that the family will experience the same.
                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                  What was the name of that woods that either degag or dinekes went to recently? Near Tibradden maybe. Have an inclination towards fresh air and a determination that the family will experience the same.
                                                  Someone before also mentioned a particular spot in the Wicklow mountains where on a clear day you can see Wales.

Would like a reminder of where that is.

Comment

Cruagh?

Situated to the south of Dublin city Cruagh Wood is one of three mountain summits (Kilakee, Glendoo) in this area of the Dublin Mountains.

Comment

Someone before also mentioned a particular spot in the Wicklow mountains where on a clear day you can see Wales.

Top of Lug . You can see the Mournes too.

Comment

Do it Djouce is perfect as an alternative and the view is amazing.

Comment

Last I mentioned was Tibradden through the pine forest.
                                                          If you've never done it it's well worth it with fantastic views.
                                                          Start in Tibradden car park where the Zipit lines are and follow the trail. Fine for kids.
                                                          Across the road from Tibradden car park is Cruagh, think it's the Owendoher river on your left for a bit(well more of a stream really)... again a lovely walk.

Hellfire club and Massey's wood also not too far away.

Comment

Wasn't me anyway.

I see that Enoch got the road. I presume this isn't the last we've heard of this. Guessing there will be a protracted legal battle with him likely to end up back in jail by continuing to show up at the school.

Comment

You can see it from Howth Head too sometimes, especially when Snowdonia has snow.
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Nice to see a bit of bite back in the Bbv, that quite had always annoyed me (since hearing it on home and away), it's always rolled out as some amazing gem of truth rather than what it really is, the grim realisation that the older people get the more they want to protect what they have.

There was an interesting ft article showing that the trend has stopped recently, possibly as a result of the traditional right wing parties moving to the right/crazy side of the spectrum. Whatever your political beliefs it's hard to vote for the party of Trump or Truss.

​​​​​​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                  Nice to see a bit of bite back in the Bbv, that quite had always annoyed me (since hearing it on home and away), it's always rolled out as some amazing gem of truth rather than what it really is, the grim realisation that the older people get the more they want to protect what they have.

There was an interesting ft article showing that the trend has stopped recently, possibly as a result of the traditional right wing parties moving to the right/crazy side of the spectrum. Whatever your political beliefs it's hard to vote for the party of Trump or Truss.

​​​​​
                                                                  I wonder is social media playing a role in that trend.

More intergenerational social mixing.

Comment

Leinster seem to have their heads up their asses today, trying to overplay.

Comment

Normal service resumed.

Comment

Leicester Ospreys match last night was great entertainment.

Comment

It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea.

A rather nuanced subject but I found it funny that in some studies in the US people get more liberal as they age but the rate of change of liberalisation of society out strips that rate of change, thus you appear more conservative. You can easily consider yourself liberal and by the time you have kids they don't view you as one at all*. By the time your kids are grown and have their own kids, their woke 87 genders is now considered conservative since their kids espouse gender is a meaningless construct or whatever.

A random quirk that I was thinking about recently in people is that once they do change their opinion on something they seem to lose any ability to remember what they used to think, or why - so they will have fervent zeal for their new opinion and ask "how can anybody think this?!" when they themselves did think that way for most of their life, a bewildering lack of introspective thought.

*Kind of like the family in season one of White Lotus.
                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-01-23, 18:08.

Comment

For anyone interested...

Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed the World

Saturday, 9pm, BBC Two

Public Enemy’s Chuck D leads this fantastic four-part documentary telling the history of hip-hop. Bringing the story to life through immersive archive footage and interviews with leading academics and groundbreaking artists (think Grandmaster Caz, Ice-T and Roxanne Shanté), the first of this week’s double bill starts in 60s America with the dawn of the Black Power movement. Hip-hop would then emerge in the ashes of the neglected Bronx. “Hip-hop was created by the oppression,” says KRS-One, “because it was our art that defended us against the oppression.” It’s a cracking series capturing the infuriating lows and exhilarating highs behind music that has influenced generations.

Comment

Was just thinking of a weird phone call I had with our President Michael D from a payphone in DIT Kevin St. He was just making the move to Dublin from I think Galway? Like maybe 1988.
                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                Was just thinking of a weird phone call I had with our President Michael D from a payphone in DIT Kevin St. He was just making the move to Dublin from I think Galway? Like maybe 1988.
                                                                                Sure would be weird if our Collie turned out to be the Irish Monica Lewinsky.
                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Sure would be weird if our Collie turned out to be the Irish Monica Lewinsky.
                                                                                  He never had sexual relations with me asfaik

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

He never had sexual relations with me asfaik

Dún do bhéal a Collie , buachail go maith.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Dún do bhéal a Collie , buachail go maith.
                                                                                      Funnily enough the only Irish President I met IRL was Hillery. Bloody boring Presidential tune ( a cut from Amhrán na bhFiann) we had to play for him when he entered the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

A rather nuanced subject but I found it funny that in some studies in the US people get more liberal as they age but the rate of change of liberalisation of society out strips that rate of change, thus you appear more conservative. You can easily consider yourself liberal and by the time you have kids they don't view you as one at all*. By the time your kids are grown and have their own kids, their woke 87 genders is now considered conservative since their kids espouse gender is a meaningless construct or whatever.

*Kind of like the family in season one of White Lotus.
                                                                                        Very good point, if you consider what would be considered a crazy liberal in Ireland in the 80's, transport to now and they would be so out of touch it wouldn't be funny, or in reverse someone like De Santis would be pretty liberal back in those days. Something to think about when considering your current positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Very good point, if you consider what would be considered a crazy liberal in Ireland in the 80's, transport to now and they would be so out of touch it wouldn't be funny, or in reverse someone like De Santis would be pretty liberal back in those days. Something to think about when considering your current positions.
                                                                                          Don't know. Societies can become less liberal for sure.
                                                                                          • Iran in 1978 vs now
                                                                                          • imo, America is overall becoming less liberal
                                                                                          • Britain in the early 2000s vs now
                                                                                          • Russia

Comment

Something in the water?

Comment

Anyone know how the Germans were in the early years after WWII?

Comment

Don't know. Societies can become less liberal for sure.
                                                                                                • Iran in 1978 vs now
                                                                                                • imo, America is overall becoming less liberal
                                                                                                • Britain in the early 2000s vs now
                                                                                                • Russia
                                                                                                Not sure Iran is a less liberal society. Its leaders for sure, but its people - and surely that's what society really is - are incredibly liberal on average. Hopefully, the people can take back power. It would revolutionise the middle east if it had that infusion of proper liberalism.

Not sure Russia is 'less liberal' - it used to be the freakin USSR Obv though the trends in recent years are far less positive.

I'd slightly question whether American society is less-liberal. I'd say more of America is more liberal than in the past. Its just that the less-liberal parts have become even less liberal. Was Trump less liberal than Reagan - I'd guess not. Reagan was a close-minded prick of the highest order. Trump wanted to be, but lacked the competence. Maybe though.

Britain - definitely less liberal. It was quite a lovely place in the late 90s up until the Iraq War. Fallen off a cliff since then unfortunately.

On the plus side, probably far more countries have become a lot more liberal in that same time period.
                                                                                                1. Ireland being the standout example
                                                                                                2. Quite a bit of Eastern Europe, albeit compared to what they were, they're still backward by Western European standards
                                                                                                3. Quite a bit of South America, at a guess, due to the new leftist politics that has taken over a lot of countries (Cuba, if it is actually in South America, would be a stand-out example)
                                                                                                4. Saudi, while still completely fucked up, seems also better compared to its past
                                                                                                5. Thailand always seems to be in the news for quite liberal ideas, not sure about much of the rest of Asia

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                  Something in the water?

New tiktok craze .

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                    Anyone know how the Germans were in the early years after WWII?
                                                                                                    .introspective.

Comment

Watching a show Pressure Cooker on Netflix at the moment. Ostensibly a cooking show, but jesus the intrigue is something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        Question.

Who's "punching above their weight" here?
                                                                                                        The astronaut or the walking makeup counter.

Comment

Happy new year lads, haven't been on here since before Christmas. Online less in general.
                                                                                                          What did I miss? Pensions, poker, politics and Golf at a guess?

Comment

Jesus, Alec Baldwin is getting charged with involuntary manslaughter.

in Texas too, so they probably lock you up for 50 years and then behead you.
                                                                                                            I'm no surprised he was charged. Somebody was unlawfully killed, seems that that's homicide. The involuntary aspect also covers most of the "buts".
                                                                                                            I also think he'll get off, but that should be determined by the courts, not the District Attorney.
                                                                                                            The armourer will also be charged and should be convicted imo. Unintentional of course, but their negligence caused the death.

When I think of retirement I think of a house by the ocean, surf/swim in the morning, golf in the afternoon, potentially BJJ at night (picked this up recently and can feel myself getting utterly addicted). I think for cash I'd do the Club/Teaching Pro route and get my PGA card and teach golf to supplement income.
                                                                                                            BJJ is incredibly addictive and I'm pretty certain is the reason I don't play Golf. It's not incompatible with Golf or anything, but I only have so much time to invest alongside general health and fitness (which took a huge knock last year)

Comment

Seems like we have benefitted from a cancellation and 8 of us are going to Neven McGuires. Not going to say no as it's a group of old friends but that guy gives me all kind of odd vibes. Like he's a hobbit or something.

Comment

Seems like we have benefitted from a cancellation and 8 of us are going to Neven McGuires. Not going to say no as it's a group of old friends but that guy gives me all kind of odd vibes. Like he's a hobbit or something.
                                                                                                                Same, but heard it's very good. Went to Eric Matthews (formerly of Chapter One) popup restaurant in Mamo in Howth on Friday. Was very good....a bit pricey but seemingly he's a big noise on Instagram so probably cashing in on that.

Comment

Emirati police need to get the torture equipment out for the lads playing music on the boat at the golf

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I'm no surprised he was charged. Somebody was unlawfully killed, seems that that's homicide. The involuntary aspect also covers most of the "buts".
                                                                                                                    I also think he'll get off, but that should be determined by the courts, not the District Attorney.
                                                                                                                    The armourer will also be charged and should be convicted imo. Unintentional of course, but their negligence caused the death.
                                                                                                                    I think the law will have to skirt the fine line between 'unlawfully killed' and 'tragic accident'.
                                                                                                                    Be interesting to see how it goes.

Comment

He's definitely a bit odd.
                                                                                                                      It's been a few years since I've been and that was before the TV shows but I'd say it was probably the best restaurant experience I've had. Superb quality food and service without all the layers of pretentiousness.

Comment

I'm a bit odd myself - maybe its a childhood thing but i love listening to the Rugby on the wireless . Somehow seems more exciting Carberry kicking sounds horrific though.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                          I'm a bit odd myself - maybe its a childhood thing but i love listening to the Rugby on the wireless . Somehow seems more exciting Carberry kicking sounds horrific though.
                                                                                                                          They are coming back strong after a first 15 where it could have easily been 25-0.Good second half in store.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X