• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      Folks who've been to Vietnam - what are the 'must visits'?

The first thing is that Google Maps ratings mean nothing. You'll look around for a place to eat and everywhere will have 5 stars and thousands of reviews which is just impossible. It's all gamed. Tourism has been decimated since covid so they're extra competitive. Tbh I wouldn't go out of my way to eat in any particular spot. Everywhere is pretty good, the best places were places we happened across off the beaten path.

Internal flights are incredibly cheap.

Tour guides and hotel staff in places like Hoi An will try and recommend you go to different shops (esp tailors) cause they get 20% referral fee.

We did a food Food tour on first day in Ho Chi Ming (Saigon). We were with a triple-jobbing student driving us around on mopeds. Good way to get a feel of the city and insight into the food. The guide asked us to make a reference to him on TripAdvisor because they fired the bottom rated.

Country is still divided across the old lines. North is poorer and more conservative. People will generally give clues about which way they lean (e.g. whether they call it Saigon or Ho Chi Ming)

Anan Saigon is a higher-end restaurant - with spruced-up local dishes.

Nha Trang - Few Russians are there now, very cheap to go scuba diving and snorkelling. Some of the best beaches. Just avoid the South Park themed bar. All the drunk aggressive Russians were there. The only time in the whole country felt in any way unsafe.

Sapa maybe if you want to get into the mountains and countryside and drink opium wine. Cat Cat Village is a bizarre mini-Hollywood place where visitors come to take Instagram photos in traditional dress.

Halong Bay - we went on the La Casta Regal via getyourguide.com. Food and staff were great. Activities if you wanted to do them. Amazing scenery.

Da Nang - Dragon Bridge, Buddhist Temples in the Marble Mountains

Cham Island was a waste of time.

You have to visit Hoi An.

And the water puppet show in Hanoi. We just got front-row tickets from the box office (I think you pay something like 4x the price if you get them via Tripadvisor)

I went with the slightly more out-of-the-way but supposedly more authentic Ben Duoc tunnels. In my naivety, I thought we would spend more time in the tunnels than we did. Amazing insight into what ingenuity and lengths they went to win. There's a gun range there too.

Eat loads of pho obv, but there's way more to Vietnamese food.
      Last edited by Denny Crane; 16-01-23, 23:59.

Comment

TIL 'opium wine' is a thing, presumably for when wine by itself won't give you enough of a hangover
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
          The first thing is that Google Maps ratings mean nothing. .
          I wonder, is ChatGPT just trawling this or how it comes to its recommendations as it is supposed to be very good for this kind of stuff.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Comment

One last thought on crazy special forces lady. She had absolutely zero sense of humour. Nada, none.

Is that a classic sociopath tendency?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              One last thought on crazy special forces lady. She had absolutely zero sense of humour. Nada, none.

Is that a classic sociopath tendency?
              Not the ones I've met

Comment

Yeah, I'd say a tendency towards being superficially highly-social would be more of a sociopath trait.

Comment

Do you have to pay for Chatgpt?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                    Do you have to pay for Chatgpt?
                    No, currently completely free although they have muted it somewhat from when it was first released. They have a paid version coming for sure as they need to monetize it in some way. I read they are currently spending £3m a day in server costs to keep it running.

It is a really interesting question though that when they do start charging who does the data they are using belong to? It is using someone else's data to produce answers so if you start charging does the creator of the underlying data not needed to be cited and compensated?

Someone sent Nick Cave a song :

Dear Mark,

Since its launch in November last year many people, most buzzing with a kind of algorithmic awe, have sent me songs ‘in the style of Nick Cave’ created by ChatGPT. There have been dozens of them. Suffice to say, I do not feel the same enthusiasm around this technology. I understand that ChatGPT is in its infancy but perhaps that is the emerging horror of AI – that it will forever be in its infancy, as it will always have further to go, and the direction is always forward, always faster. It can never be rolled back, or slowed down, as it moves us toward a utopian future, maybe, or our total destruction. Who can possibly say which? Judging by this song ‘in the style of Nick Cave’ though, it doesn’t look good, Mark. The apocalypse is well on its way. This song sucks.

What ChatGPT is, in this instance, is replication as travesty. ChatGPT may be able to write a speech or an essay or a sermon or an obituary but it cannot create a genuine song. It could perhaps in time create a song that is, on the surface, indistinguishable from an original, but it will always be a replication, a kind of burlesque.

Songs arise out of suffering, by which I mean they are predicated upon the complex, internal human struggle of creation and, well, as far as I know, algorithms don’t feel. Data doesn’t suffer. ChatGPT has no inner being, it has been nowhere, it has endured nothing, it has not had the audacity to reach beyond its limitations, and hence it doesn’t have the capacity for a shared transcendent experience, as it has no limitations from which to transcend. ChatGPT’s melancholy role is that it is destined to imitate and can never have an authentic human experience, no matter how devalued and inconsequential the human experience may in time become.

What makes a great song great is not its close resemblance to a recognizable work. Writing a good song is not mimicry, or replication, or pastiche, it is the opposite. It is an act of self-murder that destroys all one has strived to produce in the past. It is those dangerous, heart-stopping departures that catapult the artist beyond the limits of what he or she recognises as their known self. This is part of the authentic creative struggle that precedes the invention of a unique lyric of actual value; it is the breathless confrontation with one’s vulnerability, one’s perilousness, one’s smallness, pitted against a sense of sudden shocking discovery; it is the redemptive artistic act that stirs the heart of the listener, where the listener recognizes in the inner workings of the song their own blood, their own struggle, their own suffering. This is what we humble humans can offer, that AI can only mimic, the transcendent journey of the artist that forever grapples with his or her own shortcomings. This is where human genius resides, deeply embedded within, yet reaching beyond, those limitations.

It may sound like I’m taking all this a little too personally, but I’m a songwriter who is engaged, at this very moment, in the process of songwriting. It’s a blood and guts business, here at my desk, that requires something of me to initiate the new and fresh idea. It requires my humanness. What that new idea is, I don’t know, but it is out there somewhere, searching for me. In time, we will find each other.

Mark, thanks for the song, but with all the love and respect in the world, this song is bullshit, a grotesque mockery of what it is to be human, and, well, I don’t much like it — although, hang on!, rereading it, there is a line in there that speaks to me —

‘I’ve got the fire of hell in my eyes’

— says the song ‘in the style of Nick Cave’, and that’s kind of true. I have got the fire of hell in my eyes – and it’s ChatGPT.

Love, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

No, currently completely free although they have muted it somewhat from when it was first released. They have a paid version coming for sure as they need to monetize it in some way. I read they are currently spending £3m a day in server costs to keep it running.

It is a really interesting question though that when they do start charging who does the data they are using belong to? It is using someone else's data to produce answers so if you start charging does the creator of the underlying data not needed to be cited and compensated?

Someone sent Nick Cave a song :

He makes the AI sound like a sociopath ....gulp

Most get on it and get it to write my Sci-Fi novel for me!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

He makes the AI sound like a sociopath ....gulp

Most get on it and get it to write my Sci-Fi novel for me!
                        Don't delay. The market is about to be flooded with AI books

I wrote a book in 24h during Xmas. Just received the print!

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Don't delay. The market is about to be flooded with AI books

I wrote a book in 24h during Xmas. Just received the print!

It would only allow a limited use there. Was asking for email and CC details and I baulked when that came up. They must have introduced a fee since you got on it ...you can pay X per month or a once off fee for unlimited access

Had a bit of a difference of opinion with it over what constitutes Cormac McCarthy's style but ran out of goes.
                          Hope it doesn't come after when it reaches singularity stage

Comment

Yeah, they monetized DALL-E fairly quickly, so presumably the same for ChatGPT. I'd say it might be something like: everyone gets a few free generations a week, and usage above that is charged at €20-40 per month. Probably a bargain at whatever price they choose, as they'll want as much mass-market usage as possible. Filled in a form for premium access last week.

Comment

I was asking it some probability questions earlier on, and it got them all spectacularly wrong.

Comment

From the little I've read about it one of the problems is that it can give plausible sounding answers that are factually incorrect.

​​​​​​Intriguing all the same.

Edit What Zut said

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                  I was asking it some probability questions earlier on, and it got them all spectacularly wrong.
                                  That has been well documented. It's not a generalized AI. It likely scans text for similar problems and tries to extrapolate an answer but it is not built to do maths.

Language models are not necessarily bad at math, but they are not specifically designed or trained to perform mathematical calculations. These types of models are trained on large datasets of text and learn to predict the next word or sequence of words in a sentence based on the words that come before it. While they may be able to generate text that includes numbers and basic arithmetic, they are not capable of performing complex mathematical operations or solving advanced math problems.

It is worth noting that there are other types of artificial intelligence systems that are specifically designed for tasks like mathematical calculation and problem solving. These systems are typically trained on different types of data and use different algorithms than language models.

Comment

I asked it who was the fairest of them all and it replied Howard Webb .

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                      Walking is probably the best exercise weight loss tool outside of heavy lifting.
                                      It's also an incredible tool to get someone who doesn't move, to move. Plus its great for the oul noggin.

Hitch, pull ups or chin ups will rid you of the hunch backedness and build core strength, slow to start though.
                                      If you can't do that, then rows of any kind will help.

Never been to a yoga class, or pilates, but have heard great things.
                                      Need tempo walking as opposed to Darren Clarke sauntering

Comment

I'd say the tempo would be reasonable. These spikes are all the various walks from e.g. yesterday. Tried some superman stretches this morning, as the most accessible exercise that doesn't need a gym. Was glad enough that no-one else was in the house to see those.

O7GUBuDl.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          I'd say the tempo would be reasonable. These spikes are all the various walks from e.g. yesterday. Tried some superman stretches this morning, as the most accessible exercise that doesn't need a gym. Was glad enough that no-one else was in the house to see those.

O7GUBuDl.jpg
                                          To improve the health of your heart and your fitness in general I would suggest nothing but light aerobic excercise. For a period of time, 12x weeks or so.

Gentle walking for a couple of weeks and then adding in a light jog. Never running at a pace where you're out of breath. Conversation pace, an effort where you would have no problem carrying on a conversation. Keep walking until you can do it running.

Keep an eye on your resting HR, wear your watch to bed and note it every morning as you wake..

HR data from a wrist monitor isn't overly reliable once you're moving. A chest strap will give accurate info, but the data from it is useless really without having accurate lab tested numbers, max HR, HR at lactate threshold etc.

Resting is simple though and a really good guide.

Would also suggest not having weight loss as the driver, rather an improvement in overall fitness. Weight loss naturally follows.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Light walking = several posts, heart rate stats, queries and considered responses.
                                            Violently aggressive sex with Asian lady= "Jaysus lads, it was great"

As it should be

Comment

Looks like he is doing better than light walking

The amount of lard ass golfers who light walk 7k a day around the golf course makes me doubt the benefits of it. You wont drop dead HH walking at good pace you are not ancient. Hiking do ya the world of good.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

The amount of lard ass golfers who light walk 7k a day around the golf course makes me doubt the benefits of it. You wont drop dead HH walking at good pace you are not ancient. Hiking do ya the world of good.
                                                There are no lard asses walking 7k a day. Once a week maybe for a round of golf.

Taking it easy isn't about danger, it's about optimising fitness gains. His HR is spiking while walking, meaning a light jog or a brisk walk right now isn't fully aerobic.

The easy effort gradually becomes a quicker pace with aerobic fitness gains.

Gentle walking this week, brisk walking next week, light jog the week after. Heart and lungs doing the same work but output is improved.

After a few weeks he'll be running at a pace that today will have him panting.

Comment

Had a mini session there for 3/4 hour A few laps of the park walking with 3 sets push ups (35, 25, 25), 3 sets Tricep dips off a bench (20 15, 15), 3 sets squats X 20.

Started the day with 20 push ups and squats to get the blood flowing.

Feel like crap today and the past few days though.
                                                  Prob just a cold but had a weird temp of 95.5 this am....that's .5 of a degree off the start of hypothermia.Im usually bang on 97.7
                                                  Window doesn't close properly so room is a bit cold but never bothered me before. Had hot water bottle going to bed for my back, woke at 3am and put the heating on. I suppose it had to be the cold seeping in. Thermometer is working fine as gained a degree later.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

There are no lard asses walking 7k a day. Once a week maybe for a round of golf.

Taking it easy isn't about danger, it's about optimising fitness gains. His HR is spiking while walking, meaning a light jog or a brisk walk right now isn't fully aerobic.

The easy effort gradually becomes a quicker pace with aerobic fitness gains.

Gentle walking this week, brisk walking next week, light jog the week after. Heart and lungs doing the same work but output is improved.

After a few weeks he'll be running at a pace that today will have him panting.
                                                    A pro golfer walks 7k x 4 rounds . Not couting pre tourny rounds . Check out Darren Clarke , Monty , many more and quite a few obese younger lads. Lard arses

Gentle walks are for the morbidly obese . The rest of what you saw is standard since 19 o splash.
                                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 17-01-23, 17:00.

Comment

It's possible to be a fit big guy you know.

Comment

Lazare spot on. Those bigger lads you see are just overeating.

Calories matter.

But to make the jump that walking can't be good for you because you see some fat lads walking... is a big jump.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Lazare spot on. Those bigger lads you see are just overeating.

Calories matter.

But to make the jump that walking can't be good for you because you see some fat lads walking... is a big jump.
                                                          Wtf all i said was increase the walking pace.The big jump is to say i meant otherwise . Everyone who overeats gets fat thats plain obvious as is building up slowly to be a runner. My point was to hitch . . Light gentle walking is only good for you if you dont nothing else . A good pace walking is the way to go. Clarke is ready to pop at this stage . HH dont waste you time walking slowly . You are not obese from what i can see .

Comment

Solks there's any amount of lads golfing or running with a bit of a Ned Kelly. The Ned Kelly won't disappear as that's a diet/calorie intake issue. In any case tbf, the lads would be fond of 2-3 pints of stout and a big feed. Any exercise is still better than none, 7k on the golf course is an order of magnitude better than the high stool or couch.

For Hitch I'd suggest clearly defining what your fitness goal is first and then working back from there. You certainly don't need a gym membership unless your goal leads you down that path.

Yoga, pilates and calisthenic movements could all be ideal options done from home, to begin with. My main advice is really to start really small, be consistent and tip away until you've built a habit. Then progress with to higher intensity stuff if desired.

Comment

Wtf all i said was increase the walking pace.The big jump is to say i meant otherwise . Everyone who overeats gets fat thats plain obvious as is building up slowly to be a runner. My point was to hitch . . Light gentle walking is only good for you if you dont nothing else . A good pace walking is the way to go. Clarke is ready to pop at this stage . HH dont waste you time walking slowly . You are not obese from what i can see .
                                                              Why do we always talk about weight or obesity in these discussions. It's unhealthy. My advice to him was aimed at improving fitness. I think if your fitness goals involve weight loss as a big motivator you're on the wrong road mentally.

I looked at his resting HR and his spikes and suggested a gentle and gradual ease into the type of excercise that improves it.

Brisk walking is currently spiking his HR (although as said earlier, the accuracy of that depends on the monitor) so a gentler regime, easing into more moderate stuff is the way to go.

Comment

Related..

Comment

Skinny man tells lads to not worry about being fat.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I dread the day when brisk walking isnt the low entry point for fitness for me. . 20 years from now maybe

confused how this point isnt crystal ..

Comment

Why do we always talk about weight or obesity in these discussions. It's unhealthy. My advice to him was aimed at improving fitness. I think if your fitness goals involve weight loss as a big motivator you're on the wrong road mentally.

I looked at his resting HR and his spikes and suggested a gentle and gradual ease into the type of excercise that improves it.

Brisk walking is currently spiking his HR (although as said earlier, the accuracy of that depends on the monitor) so a gentler regime, easing into more moderate stuff is the way to go.
                                                                      You answered your own question.

Spike that ticker i say. Blouses the lot of ya

Comment

I'd say you'd argue with a fart if it didn't smell right.

Comment

I'd say you'd argue with a fart if it didn't smell right.
                                                                          The last 4 words = correct

Comment

I dread the day when brisk walking isnt the low entry point for fitness for me. . 20 years from now maybe

confused how this point isnt crystal ..
                                                                            I'm basing it off the data he posted.

I would hazard a guess that HH's max HR is in the 178 - 183 ish range. That means that in and around 135 bpm is his aerobic threshold. Excersise at a heart rate above that is no longer fully aerobic.

Again he's probably not getting spot on data with whatever way he's monitoring it, but if he's hitting 140s while brisk walking it's doing less for him fitness wise than slowing down would do, and keeping <135.

A lower resting HR means more in reserve. Keeping your HR within a fully aerobic zone is what improves aerobic function, makes the heart stronger. Stronger heart works less, meaning a lower resting HR. Meaning more in reserve. Meaning after some gains you're now able to run inside 135 bpm where beforehand walking spiked above it.
                                                                            Last edited by Lazare; 17-01-23, 19:28.

Comment

Skinny man tells lads to not worry about being fat.
                                                                              Yeah yeah, I know.

It is unhealthy though for weight loss to be the goal over simply gaining fitness. The former has an end point, the latter doesn't.

It's not a case of 'Don't worry about it' more that a different mindset gets you there in a more healthy way, mentally, and sustains it.

Comment

Yeah yeah, I know.

It is unhealthy though for weight loss to be the goal over simply gaining fitness. The former has an end point, the latter doesn't.

It's not a case of 'Don't worry about it' more that a different mindset gets you there in a more healthy way, mentally, and sustains it.
                                                                                I agree with you, just I do think if the starting point for any random person "to lose a few lbs" rather than "to get a better resting heart rate, or get fitter" then I think net benefit is greater. Although, I know you'll disagree, and I do see merit to your side too.

Be less fat, and move more. It's a palindrome.

Comment

Hitch clearly trolling us and that's something else he's up to with those spikes.

Comment

I agree with you, just I do think if the starting point for any random person "to lose a few lbs" rather than "to get a better resting heart rate, or get fitter" then I think net benefit is greater. Although, I know you'll disagree, and I do see merit to your side too.

Be less fat, and move more. It's a palindrome.
                                                                                    That's a fair point, but Hitch is a far smarter guy than the average randomer.

Comment

In other, less adiposity intensive news, this might give some of you a laugh, or an eye roll, or whatever.

Comment

I would walk fairly fast as a general rule tbh. Think it comes from being naturally skinny and needing to walk fast to heat up. But that's solid advice on not overdoing it. Going to stick to the couchto5k though as that's just a bit of extra exercise three days a week and I'd feel like a quitter to stop it now.

​​​​​​

Comment

I would walk fairly fast as a general rule tbh. Think it comes from being naturally skinny and needing to walk fast to heat up. But that's solid advice on not overdoing it. Going to stick to the couchto5k though as that's just a bit of extra exercise three days a week and I'd feel like a quitter to stop it now.

​​​​​​
                                                                                          Absolutely, there's no better fitness plan than C25K. It's fantastic.

Key though, once you're running regularly is to keep the effort easy, for the most part.

Even world record holding athletes only train hard 20% of the time.

I follow a lad called Peter Somba on Strava. He won all four of the Dublin race series events last year. I think his pace for the half marathon was 3:12 per km.

21km at 3 mins 12 per k.

I regularly see him running 6:30 per km on his usual easy runs.

Comment

​​​​​​
                                                                                            There's no more wonderful feeling than secretly quitting something 'good for you' and secretly doing something 'bad for you' instead.

I'd bet the physical downside is vastly outweighed by the mental health upside.

Comment

They seem to have live-streamed themselves as they were doing the prank on youtube,

Comment

Eamon Ryan has to be given credit for his trolling of the rurals.
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Tar Na La. 2.05 Dundalk.

Comment

O7GUBuDl.jpg
                                                                                                    What caused the spike around 2am?

Comment

New Ep of Huberman podcast is great. Highly recommend. Lazare you'll prob find it more interesting than most.

In episode 1 of a 6-part special series, Dr. Andy Galpin, professor of kinesiology at California State University, Fullerton and world expert on exercise science, explains the 9 different types of exercise adaptations that can be used to transform the functional capacities and aesthetics of our body, and benefits each adaptation has for our health.

Comment

Watch UK news, then watch Irish news.

Quite the contrast these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

What caused the spike around 2am?
                                                                                                          Ha. Sadly that's my quick walk around the block before sleeping spike.

Comment

That's disappointing,
                                                                                                            my theories are much more fun.

Vivid dream too high.
                                                                                                            Marital duties too low.
                                                                                                            Virtual reality goggles, hmmm.

Comment

Made it into the pink lady. jaysus.

Comment

Chatbot AI wanker told me to grow up.

Comment

Can't read the FT article butI typed the title of an assignment that I set into it, and it was better than anything any student turned in.

Damp January is going disappointingly well. Notable reduction in anxiety, Garmin watch stress level at all time low.

Was slightly stressed earlier when I learned how the skullcrusher exercise got its name...dropped a 12.5 kg dumbbell on face. Was sure I'd done a few teeth but just a split and swollen lip for my trouble.

Comment

Fair play.

Readable without sub.

موقع تواصل اجتماعي عربي ، يمكنك من مشاركة الصور و المقالات والمعلومات مجانا ، و متابعة الاخبار والاحدات
                                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Nice one Hitch, congrats.

Comment

New Ep of Huberman podcast is great. Highly recommend. Lazare you'll prob find it more interesting than most.

https://hubermanlab.com/dr-andy-galp...-your-fitness/
                                                                                                                        Cheers man, I'll listen tomorrow on the commute.

Weird, I just opened twitter and his was the first tweet I saw. Don't follow him or have even heard of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                          Although I randomly got called up by a dude cold-offering me a job at 5pm today on the basis of a recommendation by someone I would consider a distant acquaintance. So who knows anything anymore.
                                                                                                                          Finally paid off today, 7 months later.

That's Phase 4 of Operation Uplift completed. Not sure there will be a Phase 5 but sure never say never etc.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X