This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It's definitely a weekend dish, where you've all the time in the world. Two days.

Other than shopping for ingredients I probably spent an hour yesterday prepping the lamb and its marinade.

Today's part will prob take about 90 minutes.

A big part of it though for me is the shopping, and why it's a perfect weekend dish. Went to the local butcher yesterday and chatted to him about what I was doing. He took the bone out for me and I cut it up at home. Then on to Eurasia for some fresh ingredients, coriander and mint, plus a few things I didn't have, Ghee, saffron.

Am also batch cooking a curry base today so grabbed a bit of stuff for that.

I love nothing more than looking up a recipe on a Sat morning, usually after a run so am in great form, heading off to pick up what I need and then spending hours chopping prepping and cooking.
    Barring the fact that coriander is my nut hate, that sounds close to my ideal weekend......and the running

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Barring the fact that coriander is my nut hate, that sounds close to my ideal weekend......and the running
      Apparently there's some people who, because of genetic variation (some would say genetic failure, but this is a no-judgement zone) find that coriander tastes like soap.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Mine is very similar to that, a couple of nuanced differences.

From a book, can't seem to figure out how to take a <2mb pic
        A quick/easy option it's to send it to someone on WhatsApp and it should reduce the size significanlty.

Comment

Thank God for Martin Luther King Day is all I can say.

Quite surprised we're still able to do those rugby trips to the same level as when we started. Must be some form of muscle memory.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            Thank God for Martin Luther King Day is all I can say.

Quite surprised we're still able to do those rugby trips to the same level as when we started. Must be some form of muscle memory.
            What score was the match in the end, happened to flick through and it was 0-0 after 60 mins or so and lookied like it was pissing down

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

What score was the match in the end, happened to flick through and it was 0-0 after 60 mins or so and lookied like it was pissing down
              Ulster were 3-0 up with two minutes to go, ref gave a dodgy penalty and La Rochelle managed to sneak in for a try. So 7-3 to them. Ulster actually would have fully deserved a win, really gutsy stuff

Pissing down would understate it, it was elemental stuff. The wind was absolutely howling all over the place, coming in off the Atlantic.
              To give an idea, my super-duper Austrian umbrella got shredded in two just by the force of the wind. And I've used that thing in hurricane conditions.

Comment

Does anyone have any thoughts around accommodation for a couple of nights at the Irish Open? It’s in the RDS so unsurprisingly, prices seem a little crazy.

I tried AirBnB but not much there either. 140-150e a night sharing seems to be about the best I can find in close proximity.

Is that about the best I can hope for?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Was on a good run with the 'be more cultured in 2023' with the fantastic The Menu film and then The Weir in the Abbey. It all came crashing down tonight as I braved out three hours of nonsense in Tar. What nuance did I miss - how was this raved about on here? Would have been a higher level of entertainment to watch laz's lamb simmer for the same amount of time.
                  I don't think they were aiming for light entertainment like for instance the Banshees. I thought this piece on the film by Xan Brooks was very good.

It reminds me a bit of The Conversation as a film that digs into and interrogates the zeitgeist... now that I think of it there are a few bits with the offscreen stalker that would remind you of or maybe are referencing The Conversation.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    It's gas the way soccer succeeds as a multi billion business because the real joy for supporters is in celebrating the failure of whatever north of England team are the perceived enemy of the north of England team who were successful when you were forced to pick a team to support in the primary school playground, rather than the success of your own allegiance.
                    People are strange
                    Not trying to wind you up and not 100% sure how much I will want to get into a back and forward about this, but genuinely lost interest in international rugby (which I maintained interest in long after club stuff became unwatchable) when they started adding 'project players' who were of similar quality to people who came through the system here. Some front row called Bent is the first one I remember thinking was egregious (can't remember the details, maybe it wasn't too bad). I was semi-ok with it in some cases previously, like the argument used to be made about the likes of CJ Stander that he was so passionate about Munster/Ireland and he had come up here and made his life here and then he fucked off back to SA 20 minutes after he retired and I realised the idea that he & I had any real allegiance to one another was fairly lame.

I'd say like a lot of people I liked Man Utd as a child because Roy Keane and Denis Irwin played for them. I don't think it's any stranger to feel allegiance to them than it is to feel allegiance to Jamison Gibson Parke because he's wearing a green t-shirt. And then I think the emotional connections either weaken or strengthen over things like that and how you happen to feel about them.

Comment

Apparently there's some people who, because of genetic variation (some would say genetic failure, but this is a no-judgement zone) find that coriander tastes like soap.
                      Yeah gf has that, even the barest trace in food destroys the dish, it's pretty crap since coriander is so amazing and they don't ever get to taste it. Dad has it for cucumber.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Not trying to wind you up and not 100% sure how much I will want to get into a back and forward about this, but genuinely lost interest in international rugby (which I maintained interest in long after club stuff became unwatchable) when they started adding 'project players' who were of similar quality to people who came through the system here. Some front row called Bent is the first one I remember thinking was egregious (can't remember the details, maybe it wasn't too bad). I was semi-ok with it in some cases previously, like the argument used to be made about the likes of CJ Stander that he was so passionate about Munster/Ireland and he had come up here and made his life here and then he fucked off back to SA 20 minutes after he retired and I realised the idea that he & I had any real allegiance to one another was fairly lame.

I'd say like a lot of people I liked Man Utd as a child because Roy Keane and Denis Irwin played for them. I don't think it's any stranger to feel allegiance to them than it is to feel allegiance to Jamison Gibson Parke because he's wearing a green t-shirt. And then I think the emotional connections either weaken or strengthen over things like that and how you happen to feel about them.
                        To give the counter to that (or maybe just context). The Irish system really stands out as being the one that produces the most homegrown talent. We 100% maximise our resources better than anyone else in a wya that makes our provinces, pound for pound, the biggest overachievers in European rugby - and happens to contribute to the national team too. And the connection between fans and players\coaches is genuine as a result.

For example Leinster went out at the weekend and slaughtered one of the best teams in England on their home pitch. 21 of the 23 players in that Leinster squad were homegrown talent. Whereas in the match I was at in La Rochelle, there was no way that anything to close the home team came from anywhere near that city, or had any bond to it other than a big fat paycheck.

Elite soccer amazes me now in terms of the dissociation from the fans. If you grew up in Salford or Toxteth or example, what possible connection could you feel with the Man Utd or Liverpool players, managers and owners? They are just a global entertainment franchise.

Comment

We're at the stage where the lender are doing 'final checks' before drawdown having had all of the documentation for the guts of a week already. I fully expect that process to end on Tuesday, the day after another rate increase comes into effect
                          Been told now there's a chance the last rate increase will be waived assuming we get the go ahead for drawdown in the next day or two. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Mine is very similar to that, a couple of nuanced differences.

From a book, can't seem to figure out how to take a <2mb pic
                            pop it on imgur - then paste here, is how i assumed all pictures here were posted. if the image appears too large on imgur add an 'l' to the end of the URL before the jpeg bit of the address, and it will reduce in size.

Comment

To give the counter to that (or maybe just context). The Irish system really stands out as being the one that produces the most homegrown talent. We 100% maximise our resources better than anyone else in a wya that makes our provinces, pound for pound, the biggest overachievers in European rugby - and happens to contribute to the national team too. And the connection between fans and players\coaches is genuine as a result.

For example Leinster went out at the weekend and slaughtered one of the best teams in England on their home pitch. 21 of the 23 players in that Leinster squad were homegrown talent. Whereas in the match I was at in La Rochelle, there was no way that anything to close the home team came from anywhere near that city, or had any bond to it other than a big fat paycheck.

Elite soccer amazes me now in terms of the dissociation from the fans. If you grew up in Salford or Toxteth or example, what possible connection could you feel with the Man Utd or Liverpool players, managers and owners? They are just a global entertainment franchise.
                              I wouldn't contradict any of that other than to say the idea of Ireland being better for producing homegrown talent doesn't really rub up against my disinterest in watching Pare, Aki, James Lowe etc representing Ireland. Maybe even makes it subconsciously more unedifying when the drop in quality between the project player and the best home grown player may not be very big.

Elite soccer 100% is just a global entertainment franchise and there are a lot of adults who completely lose sight of that to the point that they are as weird as they probably think adult WWE superfans are (with apologies to DP ). I would except from that category local fans who aren't to blame for their clubs having been sold out from under them and turned into often pretty shit corporations. The pulse of their daily lives I suspect is strongly influenced by the fortunes of that corporation for better or worse.
                              Last edited by Keane; 16-01-23, 12:41.

Comment

Poor ol ChristyD from ASLAN. 2003 he was diagnosed and he won’t see out 2023. 10 years suffering. I was never a big ASLAN fan. A friend of mine was so I’ve been to many of their gigs as a loose wheel.
                                Still though he couldn’t have been great if it were not for the ol poison . An unlikely front man with a super voice. In palliative care at his home, not the best secret in the world but the fact that his family have announced it , seems likely he is very close to the end.

Comment

Couldn't disagree with any of that, my point was about what I was seeing from fans, on the day that Man Utd had their most momentous win in years, was far more crowing at Liverpool's loss than celebration of their own victory.
                                  I don't see any problem with professional sport being professional. I do think there is an important debate to be had as to whether the kind of professionalism displayed by Rugby and Soccer
                                  is a more or less positive example of sporting culture than the exhibition of codified faction fighting that was on show in the GAA yesterday where a couple of good footballers put on an exhibition amidst a field of inept thugs.

Comment

Couldn't disagree with any of that, my point was about what I was seeing from fans, on the day that Man Utd had their most momentous win in years, was far more crowing at Liverpool's loss than celebration of their own victory.
                                    I don't see any problem with professional sport being professional. I do think there is an important debate to be had as to whether the kind of professionalism displayed by Rugby and Soccer
                                    is a more or less positive example of sporting culture than the exhibition of codified faction fighting that was on show in the GAA yesterday where a couple of good footballers put on an exhibition amidst a field of inept thugs.
                                    Hard to brag about that match. A redic goal allowed . The rules suck. Offside is offside , they've added too many maybes in now. PEP was rightly fuming

Still though LOLLIVERPOOL - like old times

Comment

my point was about what I was seeing from fans, on the day that Man Utd had their most momentous win in years, was far more crowing at Liverpool's loss than celebration of their own victory.
                                      I'd find it hard to believe that any Man Utd fan did this

Comment

You know what, even if the standard might not be great, it's real, relatable people playing a game for the right reasons. We should all get out and watch some live, amateur sport each week - standard regardless.
                                        I think I got more enjoyment out of watching a fat, rather uncoordinated young fella score a lucky winner in a recent fifth division hockey match I was umpiring than almost all pro sports I've watched recently. It's so much closer to what sport should be about, proper authenticity and enjoyment.

Comment

It’s all relative. You can get enjoyment watching any competitive game. The trick is in it being ‘competitive’. Now matter what the sports, there is no enjoyment in a one sided match.
                                          However you need a skin in the game to get some proper tension filled enjoyment out of it. I had my 1st punt on NBA recently, it really added to the tension. I have no interest in watching Billy Bunter knock a mishit shot in off some other feckers arse and scoring the winner in a 1-0 game though. If I do need to watch some average players flogging a dead football, I head to Newbridge and watch the Lilywhites do their thing. The Spurs of the GAA

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            It’s all relative. You can get enjoyment watching any competitive game. The trick is in it being ‘competitive’. Now matter what the sports, there is no enjoyment in a one sided match.
                                            However you need a skin in the game to get some proper tension filled enjoyment out of it. I had my 1st punt on NBA recently, it really added to the tension. I have no interest in watching Billy Bunter knock a mishit shot in off some other feckers arse and scoring the winner in a 1-0 game though. If I do need to watch some average players flogging a dead football, I head to Newbridge and watch the Lilywhites do their thing. The Spurs of the GAA
                                            Surely you pick up sp en route and stand beside him at the game. Best free entertainment show on earth I'd imagine.

Comment

I wouldn't contradict any of that other than to say the idea of Ireland being better for producing homegrown talent doesn't really rub up against my disinterest in watching Pare, Aki, James Lowe etc representing Ireland. Maybe even makes it subconsciously more unedifying when the drop in quality between the project player and the best home grown player may not be very big.
                                              It doesn't sit great with me either tbh. Whatever about a province signing a foreign player, said player getting the chance to play for Ireland after quite a short time is problematic imo.

That said:
                                              1. Our homegrown talent pipeline is now so strong we actually don't have much need for adopting Plastic Paddy types.
                                              2. We do it far, far less than other countries (Scotland in particular is a jokeshop, and NZ steal talent from all over the South Pacific)
                                              3. The foreign players seem to really buy into it. Maybe it's just his personality but Aki in particular seems to be someone that everyone loves. He also had a chance to move for nearly 3* his current money and turned it down to stay at Connacht so that speaks well of both him and the system generally.

Comment

You know what, even if the standard might not be great, it's real, relatable people playing a game for the right reasons. We should all get out and watch some live, amateur sport each week - standard regardless.
                                                I think I got more enjoyment out of watching a fat, rather uncoordinated young fella score a lucky winner in a recent fifth division hockey match I was umpiring than almost all pro sports I've watched recently. It's so much closer to what sport should be about, proper authenticity and enjoyment.
                                                I agree but there is room for both. I think the really interesting question is for the GAA who have a particular struggle with the divide.

Comment

Surely you pick up sp en route and stand beside him at the game. Best free entertainment show on earth I'd imagine.
                                                  Ha, I can imagine it would be a most pleasant afternoon. The Lillywhites forge ahead to a 10 point lead and he slowly unravels as point after point is pulled back and with each point a glaring mistake by the referee at the cost of the Whites is roared. The Christy Moore accents from the stands. A cousin of his plays for Rathangan, a cousin of his plays for Ballymore - Jaysus ref, howagoing there, you appear to have some issues with your eyesight or maybe the jackeens have left some spondulixs in yer locker to swwaaaay the gaaame. Jaysus stop the clapping will ya, I can’t concentrate

Comment

I'm sure there was plenty of both, and why wouldn't there be? No reason to let the facts get in the way of the rant though. Sometimes some people like to ascribe the actions of a very small number to be representative of an entire large group of people.

Comment

Trying to do 15k steps a day at the moment, on top of being a few weeks into couchto5k, and having a new morning exercise regime. Its really difficult to fit all the time needed into the day and still get other things done. Like its hours of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I'm sure there was plenty of both, and why wouldn't there be? No reason to let the facts get in the way of the rant though. Sometimes some people like to ascribe the actions of a very small number to be representative of an entire large group of people.
                                                        Bizarrely though the rivalry has been overrun with Muslin types and African types and the broadsides are vicious yet entertaining. Also watching the golf last night from the commentary , a lot of Arsenal fans have come out of the woodwork in the US. They must have emigrated there and kept the head low for the past few years waiting to strike when the moment was ripe. Too soon lads, get back under the covers. Yer no Leicester

Comment

Trying to do 15k steps a day at the moment, on top of being a few weeks into couchto5k, and having a new morning exercise regime. Its really difficult to fit all the time needed into the day and still get other things done. Like its hours of effort.
                                                          Do running instead of walking and you'll get it done quicker

Comment

It even says in the article that it is a different Japanese comic book artform!
                                                            Oh ya I didn't mean otherwise, just posting semi related weirdness
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Do running instead of walking and you'll get it done quicker
                                                              Need to be quite careful on the running due to the heart, hence building it up gradually. No sudden shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I made this for the lads on work last year when redundancies rolled around

​​​​https://github.com/James-Poland/RedundancyCalculator

Simple but effective
                                                                Any chance you could give me some idea how to use this?

Comment

Folks who've been to Vietnam - what are the 'must visits'?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Bizarrely though the rivalry has been overrun with Muslin types and African types and the broadsides are vicious yet entertaining. Also watching the golf last night from the commentary , a lot of Arsenal fans have come out of the woodwork in the US. They must have emigrated there and kept the head low for the past few years waiting to strike when the moment was ripe. Too soon lads, get back under the covers. Yer no Leicester
                                                                    Social media is often a cesspool, but I generally try not to read comments under the tweets of those I follow on there, usually kept fairly sane that way. I only use twitter of the various social media bits.

Comment

Need to be quite careful on the running due to the heart, hence building it up gradually. No sudden shocks!
                                                                      could you do less steps but at a 'fast walk' pace? Probably get more out of that.

Comment

Assume he's referencing what can be seen on the social media cesspit. "Fans" who have never even been to Manchester/Liverpool, let alone Old Trafford or Anfield. I'd be fairly certain in saying that proper match going fans were busy celebrating a win to be bothered about another teams loss.

saying that, who gives a bollox really. I was at the Man United v Liverpool 5-0 in Old Trafford last year. Walked out shrugged my shoulders and went for pints with my brother. Looking back now, I got to see a Salah hattrick and the result had absolutely no bearing on my life and had a great night out with some friends.

Most lads are on social media looking for clout, a lad from Ashbourne called Paddy Murphy has garnered quite a following as a "die hard" Liverpool fan but I'm not sure he's ever been to a game. A video of him went around celebrating England being knocked out of the World Cup and then a few days ago he posted a video about Jordan Henderson saying how great his career was having come through the England ranks and clubs he played for. All of a sudden England mattered when he was trying to defend a player that plays for the club he's a fan of.

All nonsense really.

Comment

I have a fitness question:

Been a bit worried that I'll end up a hunchback due to spending the last three years working on either the bed or the couch. I think planks are best for building that core back strength, so been doing them in the morning. But, then I was reading that back braces are also useful. So, on one of the big walks per day, I strap into that and walk around like I've got a pencil up my ass. The thinking is that the combination of the brace plus exercise will additionally strengthen and straighten the back. Am I a walking mockery, or is that likely to be of any actual benefit?

Comment

Been a bit worried that I'll end up a hunchback due to spending the last three years working on either the bed or the couch. I think planks are best for building that core back strength, so been doing them in the morning. But, then I was reading that back braces are also useful. So, on one of the big walks per day, I strap into that and walk around like I've got a pencil up my ass. The thinking is that the combination of the brace plus exercise will additionally strengthen and straighten the back. Am I a walking mockery, or is that likely to be of any actual benefit?
                                                                            I’d say a brace is most beneficial for simply making you conscious of your posture.

Your slumped shoulders will largely be impacted by a tight chest & lats pulling on your smaller weaker posterior delts, traps, rhomboids, weakening them and resulting in shit posture. I know the feeling.

Given what you said about your constraints on high impact stuff, you really seem like an ideal candidate for some yoga, most likely Yin or even some men’s Pilates classes (I was too self-conscious to attend the mixed).

I think you could get a lot from it.
                                                                            Last edited by Murdrum; 16-01-23, 15:58.

Comment

1 vote for the walking mockery.

Comment

I started following a 50-video dumbbell series on YT from a northern Irish girl in September...30 mins, 5 days a week...done wonder for me.....Finished it just before Christmas (only managed about 3.5 sessions a week). According to my Garmin watch my VO2 max went from 39 to 46, and fitness age went from 42 to 20. Lost around 10 lbs while building a decent bit of muscle...esp lower body.
                                                                                I used to do a bit of lifting a couple of times a week but this is serious effort for 30 minutes...not for the feint hearted (sorry Hitch!). Doing another one of her programs now with heavier weights and slower movement.

Comment

For a man who hadn't really done any running in 2 years Im now the slightly bemused owner of two pairs of running shoes, running top, leggings and a running hat
                                                                                  Only went in to buy a pair of bog standard tracksuit bottoms!

What I said = "do you have like just regular tracksuit bottoms, not those tight contoured ones?"

What she heard = "I need something that will get me arrested for public indecency on my next run"

Holy Jaysus, feel like I should prancing around to the score of the Nutcracker () in these yokes.....although they are fairly comfy ...hang on a sec just let me adjust there and move that over a bit.. aahhh that's better

What's the etiquette with these ball squeezers anyway??

Comment

Walking is probably the best exercise weight loss tool outside of heavy lifting.
                                                                                    It's also an incredible tool to get someone who doesn't move, to move. Plus its great for the oul noggin.

Hitch, pull ups or chin ups will rid you of the hunch backedness and build core strength, slow to start though.
                                                                                    If you can't do that, then rows of any kind will help.

Never been to a yoga class, or pilates, but have heard great things.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                      Been genuinely 10 years since I was there, and thats quite a time for a country like Vietnam so grain of salt, and I was 23 so theres that:

Hanoi - Old Quarter, I loved it. Bustle. Dirty. Pho on the street. Westlake is a cool area. Take a trip out to Ba Vi park west of the city.

Ha Long Bay - do a cruise, do a little bit of research on this, there is some horrendous cruises and some excellent ones. Try get one that has you out of the boat kayaking, visiting the fishing villages and caves and other bits and pieces.

Cat Ba Island - good place to base yourself for Ha Long if not doing a cruise, loads of awesome rock climbing/free water soloing.

Sa Pa - you can do homestays here, rice paddies and trad vietnamese living, good lols about the Chinese.

Ninh Binh - if you wanna do some dirt bike tours, good spot.

Hue - sleepy little village, some great food, Pho Bun Hue came from here.

Hoi An - great spot. Wander, sit, enjoy.

Hai Van pass - top gear prob brought it the most publicity, scenic and beautiful.

Da Nang - beach place, resorts and russians (well before they were all conscripted).

Ho Chi Minh probably the most western city, big, loud, progressive.

All I will say for sure is, you have to sit on the side of the streets and eat pho and drink beer. The food is incredible, the beer is average.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Did you find one when you were in the Lidl in East Wall this morning?
                                                                                        Not sure if this is mistaken identity or if you're trying to accuse me of being a racist

Comment

Seeing as it's been three years, might as well put up a La Rochelle TR:

Our Brussels man couldn't make it so our flight was into Paris CDG at the comparatively civilised time of 10am on Friday. We had a bit of breakfast after our one AL Platinum cardholder talked the three of us into the Aer Lingus lounge (wouldn't pay for it if asked, fairly mediocre) and hopped onto the plane in good order, feeling quite ebullient at the prospect of what lay ahead. Had a single beer on board and, with AL taking the long way round to Gay Paree, had to make a fairly swiftish transfer via RER\Metro to Gare Montparnasse. We barely had time to stop off in a wanky supermarket to stock up with provisions for the train journey, including a sharp knife for salami\cheese cutting purposes. Suitably equipped, we necked a quick beer in the station bar and boarded the (insanely long) double-decker train and located our seats in a top-level 4-table. I think the poor woman who sat with us did quite the double take when she saw us dumping various cheeses, salamis, bottles of wine and other accoutrements onto the table. Sadly for her, the train was packed so she was stuck with us and retreated behind her headphones for the duration. Smart choice imo.

It's flat agricultural country all the way to La Rochelle with not much to look at so we busied ourselves with demolishing our lunch and ensuring we remained well hydrated with vino. A pleasant three hours was passed in this manner. Rolled off the train into La Rochelle at about 6 and first impressions were of a highly self-confident, bourgeois city with some beautiful old buildings and plenty of inherited wealth. Pretty accurate as it turned out. We wandered through the historical centre ville to our airbnb which was located a stone's throw from the market. This was a fine three bedroom spot with a very voluble lady owner who assumed we cared about sundry topics like what day was bin day, or how to use the dryer. Clearly not an astute judge of character, given we were all visibly swaying. We eventually shooed her out, dumped our shit and went out to explore. Hit a few bars in the city, in the first of which we sucked down a restorative cafe corretto (get an espresso in a large cup, dump a brandy on top, consume) which gave us a fresh hit of energy that propelled us through several more bars, a restaurant where I had a great rabbit main course and some studenty nightclub place where we may well have been the oldest people ever allowed in. Finished up about 2am and considered we had experienced a reasonable warmup session.

Woke up the next day at about 10am and I went out to the market to procure some croissants, chaussons and other baked goods all of which went down fairly well with the other two sofa-lolling lads who seemed to have lost the usage of their legs, the lazy fucks. Eventually got them out of the apartment by 11 or so and we returned to the market in a somewhat fragile state but knowing full well what would rectify the situation. Oysters and white wine naturally. The hangover cure of the Gods. Had a dozen fine examples standing up at a nice indoor bar and this, plus some more coffee loosened us up sufficiently such that we were ready to face the day. We split up momentarily to search for shiny objects - I got a Stade Rochellais beret (which came in very handy later in the day, more on this anon), wine was purchased for the next day’s train and cheese supplies were topped up. This commercial activity successfully concluded, we returned to the apartment to dump same crap, don some Irish rugby shirts for ease of identification and then returned to the very fine market for further consumption. I found a very friendly little bar at the side of the market and madame seemed fully ready to engage with all our needs, feeding us a steady stream of wine, beer and another cafe corretto apiece. We also our encountered our first sign of actual real live Ulster fans, looking very rough round the edges but who gave us the info that McNultys pub was the pace to go to (a) watch rugby and (b), was the place to source flags and other such paraphernalia.

We duly pointed ourselves in that direction and came across a properly packed Irish bar, with probably about 150-200 Ulster fans. Contrary to the popular perception, they were very welcoming and we had some great chats over a few beers (and one final café corretto). We even got to experience the wonders of the President of the Ulster Branch give a speech. As it was so emotional, I will reproduce it here in all its glory:
                                                                                          “We’re really going to get stuck into these lads today. Lets go out there and SUFTUM*. Thanks lads.”
                                                                                          (*Stand Up for The Ulstermen)
                                                                                          Who couldn’t be moved by such stirring oratory? After half-heartedly watching Leinster thrash an English team, and a bit of Munster too on the pub’s tellybox, it was time to leave for the match. Upon stepping outside we noticed that the previously pleasant afternoon weather had changed to something more akin to Hurricane Katrina. It says something for our moral turpitude that our first reaction was ‘good, this’ll really level up our chances’.

We walked out to the Stade by the sea, noticing that the tide seemed to be raging faster than your average F1 racing car. This could of course have been just the drink talking but the horizontal shower rain conditions also backed up our theory that this was some properly shite weather. At that juncture, my indestructible Austrian umbrella literally ripped in two with a particularly vicious gust of wind and I knew this was going to be quite the experience. Luckily my SR beret came to the rescue and remained jammed on my noggin for the rest of the day keeping me shielded from the elements. We got to the Stade just before kick-off, managing to secure some beers on the way to our seats. There was a definite feel of the lions den about the place with the small pockets of white Ulster flags being dwarfed by vast swathes of yellow. The match itself was not one for the purists, given the ball had all the properties of a bar of soap but we dully yelled ourselves hoarse, SUFTUMed at the given times and had a rare old time, washed down with several more beverage. Ulster suffered a fairly heartbreaking loss right at the death, we shook our soaked neighbours hands all around and told them we would see them in Dublin for the final against Leinster. I’d say the home crowd were quite subdued but that was probably a tribute to Ulster’s fighting spirit as well as the overall mankiness of the weather.

The walk back was a windy blur but we did manage to accidentally find a restaurant Libanese that fed us a large quantity of middle eastern things that revived us mightily together with some very nice red wine. A poor lost Ulster face appeared at the door looking sad so we beckoned him in to sit with us – very nice man, or at least we thought he was until he revealed he was 62 years old. I’m not kidding, he didn’t look a day over 30, one of the most youthful men I have ever met. Although he paid for the wine so it all worked out for the best. We took our new BFF off to the General Humbert which was a kinda bar\nightclub\allsorts place where we replaced our lost fluid contents with sundry cocktail concoctions and even engaged in some moderately ambitious boogie with all manner of new-found friends. This all ended at about 3 and we somehow managed to navigate the maze of streets back to our apartment where we collapsed face down into our respective duvets.

The next morning mandated one further trip to the market where we caffeinated ourselves and acquired far too much food. We then meandered to the gare unexpectedly early but this meant that the rugby ball found by us the previous night could be employed for its intended purpose upon the station concourse. Some semi-impressive kicking and catching was ended by a particularly wind-assisted boot that took the ball into the harbour, never to be seen again. Duly chastened, we boarded the train where I had secured us a four seater first class area. Swanky indeed and we dumped all our gear and began the usual eating\drinking activity, albeit with far less alacrity than previous days. Until we were interrupted at the first stop by a rather unusual character.

She was a Polynesian (from Tahiti) who swayed down the aisle, saw us and just sat down in our spare seat. Over the next two hours she:
                                                                                          • Told us she was a special forces soldier
                                                                                          • Told us she had stage 4 cancer
                                                                                          • Told us her father had a gun held to his head at a party the previous night
                                                                                          • Told us she rented her place in Tahiti for 3,000 Euro a night
                                                                                          • Told us her sister was a former Miss France
                                                                                          • Told us she was going to Montpelier to punch somebody and would then be off home to Tahiti but via Las Vegas.
                                                                                          • Various other tall tales.
                                                                                          Even more extraordinarily, some of these things turned out to be true and she was able to show photographic and other evidence as proof.

She had the most amazing level of self-confidence I’ve ever seen. Helped herself to loads of our food and then basically told the conductor lady to fuck off when she came round checking tickets. Which she did.
                                                                                          I told her that the guy she was sitting beside was very famous in Ireland as a tv chef. She swallowed that so I told her that his big shtick was making soup on his show while dancing around the studio and insulting a celebrity. She didn’t bat an eyelid. I told her the other guy had played in the rugby match the night before and that explained why he was tired. Of course. She then told us her cousins played for New Zealand, but couldn’t supply their names. I told her I was very rich and had five wives but I only married ugly women. Not a flicker.
                                                                                          It was the single most surreal train journey of my life. She then got tv chef superstar to give her his phone number and, stupidly, he did. We managed to ditch her at the station and, within 30 minutes he had six missed calls. I would not be surprised if she turned up on his doorstep tomorrow.
                                                                                          After that, the remainder of the trip home was an anticlimax.

TLDR. Would do again.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/AJA_Corte...36681336332288

Superman's are meant to be good too
                                                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 16-01-23, 16:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Ha Long Bay - do a cruise, do a little bit of research on this, there is some horrendous cruises and some excellent ones. Try get one that has you out of the boat kayaking, visiting the fishing villages and caves and other bits and pieces.
                                                                                              I'll try and dig up the name of the company we went with - they were pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

https://mobile.twitter.com/AJA_Corte...36681336332288

Superman's are meant to be good too
                                                                                                oh wow - that kyphosis thing is the exact thing I'm worried about* as it seems a classic middle-aged man-who-sits-a-lot look. The slightly protruding stomach despite not being overweight.

* uncle has some horrible debilitating back thing, and it seems like one of the worst things (absent cancers and other killers obv)

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I’d say a brace is most beneficial for simply making you conscious of your posture.

Your slumped shoulders will largely be impacted by a tight chest & lats pulling on your smaller weaker posterior delts, traps, rhomboids, weakening them and resulting in shit posture. I know the feeling.

Given what you said about your constraints on high impact stuff, you really seem like an ideal candidate for some yoga, most likely Yin or even some men’s Pilates classes (I was too self-conscious to attend the mixed).

I think you could get a lot from it.
                                                                                                  Must look at the pilates / yoga! That could be quite nice actually.

Comment

Injured my back a couple of years ago and the MRI revealed spondylolisthesis. Physio was big into Pilates based excercises and they worked well for me anyway. Certainly improved posture and range of motion.

Think Pilates better than Yoga for your needs. Yoga is great but they can get you doing some excercises that may not be the best for joints.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Been genuinely 10 years since I was there, and thats quite a time for a country like Vietnam so grain of salt, and I was 23 so there's that:

Hanoi - Old Quarter, I loved it. Bustle. Dirty. Pho on the street. Westlake is a cool area. Take a trip out to Ba Vi park west of the city.

Cat Ba Island - good place to base yourself for Ha Long if not doing a cruise, loads of awesome rock climbing/free water soloing.

Sa Pa - you can do homestays here, rice paddies and trad vietnamese living, good lols about the Chinese.

Ninh Binh - if you wanna do some dirt bike tours, good spot.

Hue - sleepy little village, some great food, Pho Bun Hue came from here.

Hoi An - great spot. Wander, sit, enjoy.

Hai Van pass - top gear prob brought it the most publicity, scenic and beautiful.

Da Nang - beach place, resorts and russians (well before they were all conscripted).

Ho Chi Minh probably the most western city, big, loud, progressive.

All I will say for sure is, you have to sit on the side of the streets and eat pho and drink beer. The food is incredible, the beer is average.

Echo what Theresa said except I was there just over 20 years ago and I was 24 at the time

Comment

oh wow - that kyphosis thing is the exact thing I'm worried about* as it seems a classic middle-aged man-who-sits-a-lot look. The slightly protruding stomach despite not being overweight.

* uncle has some horrible debilitating back thing, and it seems like one of the worst things (absent cancers and other killers obv)
                                                                                                        This is an interesting counter take on the links between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

This is an interesting counter take on the links between the two.

Who would have thought that getting stronger is the solution. Rows, Pull ups, Stronger posterior chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Not sure if this is mistaken identity or if you're trying to accuse me of being a racist
                                                                                                            Mistaken identity, you have a doppelganger hanging out around there.
                                                                                                            ONly realised today that's exactly where all the SF types are out protesting.

Weird part of Dublin, feels like an outsize version of one of those Bord Na Mona villages, with even less facilities.
                                                                                                            ​​​​​​

Comment

@RD3

Which were the true stories? Father with gun to head and sister former Miss France are my random guesses

Comment

Don't overthink it. Just get off your ass and do something.

I do these about three times a week at home. Love that WFH . I do some jogging, HITT, stretching and weights too. Probably not the perfect, optimum of optimal for a 52yo but it works for me. The hardest part is staying motivated and sticking to the program. Eating pretty well is a must too obv.

I hold each pose for 45s and rest\reset for 20s. Beep timer on phone. Some poses have to be done on both sides. For me that's 45s each side. Some zen music on with no lyrics through the session. Nice soft lighting. I feel like I'm glowing in mind and body afterwards.

You might find some poses difficult to start with but if you stick at it you'll be surprised how your body starts to open up and out. Get the kids and missus to join for something to do. If you put as much effort into cultivating you body, as you do your mind, you'll be a ninja warrior mofo in no time

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Even rugby fans can’t face sitting through a match without numbing the pain- heard it’s brutal atmosphere wise in Landsdowne road even for big enough 6 nations games.

Almost 70% of people would not support alcohol ban at Aviva, says IRFU survey

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...s-irfu-survey/

mind you I’ve had to up my alcohol intake due to the pressure occasionally having to pretend I care about rugby at work with my new boss- fortunately have kept my hatred under wraps at work so he’s none the wiser- tough living this double life though
                                                                                                                  Last edited by MysteryGuest; 16-01-23, 19:32.
                                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Mistaken identity, you have a doppelganger hanging out around there.
                                                                                                                    ONly realised today that's exactly where all the SF types are out protesting.

Weird part of Dublin, feels like an outsize version of one of those Bord Na Mona villages, with even less facilities.
                                                                                                                    ​​​​​​
                                                                                                                    My doppelgangers do tend to be unsavory characters.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                      @RD3

Which were the true stories? Father with gun to head and sister former Miss France are my random guesses
                                                                                                                      1. Special forces (had a backpack full of military gear, plus uniform)
                                                                                                                      2. Former Miss France (lots of pics on phone, seemed quite keen to show us swimsuits shots )
                                                                                                                      3. Renting villa for 3k a night (showed us the website she uses)
                                                                                                                      It was a lot of fun but I was acutely aware she was off the charts crazy and beyond. Like to the level of discreetly moving the sharp knife out of her reach.The superstar tv chef does have a history of attracting genuinely insane women (was briefly married to one) so he must secrete some weird pheromones.

Comment

Any chance you could give me some idea how to use this?
                                                                                                                        Which part?
                                                                                                                        Do you need me to publish a compiled version for you?
                                                                                                                        Or you could just copy past the sql version into sql fiddle to play with
                                                                                                                        Discover our free online SQL editor enhanced with AI to chat, explain, and generate code. Support SQL Server, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, and SQLite.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Something like this?
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X