Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont know how you can look someone in their wounded eyes and tell them to get out of my country Takes a special kind of cold bastard to say that.

Apart from English types of course

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I went to Liffey Valley last night to collect my glasses.

Needed coriander so headed to M&S. Passed Dubray and saw it in the window for €17.99.

The missus is into all that shit so I texted her asking did she want it. She said yes.

Walked into Dubray then on the way back and was horrified to see it was actually €27.99.

Glasses still in the Vision Express bag obv.
      Please explain the magical properties of 30 quid Coriander? Does it grow into a big Coriander stalk to the sky for adventure climbing through the clouds to a fairyland of giants and treasure ? Mad Ted mad .

Comment

Chelsea renting Felix for 6 months for 11 million and he gets sent off 1st game . Great bit of business.

Comment

brain trust at 1hr 12 mins
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Please explain the magical properties of 30 quid Coriander? Does it grow into a big Coriander stalk to the sky for adventure climbing through the clouds to a fairyland of giants and treasure ? Mad Ted mad .
            Not. Sure. If. Serious. Or. If. In. Need. Of. Trip. To. Vision. Express.

Can hook you up, have half price off second pair.

Hey, was that you texting me this morn? Can't think of another Willie. Have only seen one.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Aftersun was the perfect antidote to last nights abomination. A beautiful slow evocative movie. Melancholia done right. 4 out of 5 Wombats.
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Not. Sure. If. Serious. Or. If. In. Need. Of. Trip. To. Vision. Express.

Can hook you up, have half price off second pair.

Hey, was that you texting me this morn? Can't think of another Willie. Have only seen one.
                Scamsavers keep spamming me since i bought some readers 3 years ago. Its like they are engineering eyesight degeneration. Da bastads .

Wasnt me texting . Dont think i have yer number but i know where you live if i need to borrow some steak knives .

Comment

Scamsavers keep spamming me since i bought some readers 3 years ago. Its like they are engineering eyesight degeneration. Da bastads .

Wasnt me texting . Dont think i have yer number but i know where you live if i need to borrow some steak knives .
                  Aha, a fella texted me saying 'Willie here, you still doing the blinds?'

I texted back thinking it was you and hadn't heard back. Has just dawned on me now though who it must be.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Having read more of the extracts - Jesus Christ he is one self absorbed ass-hat- how did the ghost writer keep a straight face
                    Have it arriving tomorrow. I'd say its going to be class. Need hotspur to confirm if him narrating his own audiobook is better than bono doing the same.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      A big thing in modern academia in publicising your work. You used to send off the research article to a journal, wait two years for it to be accepted, wait another two years for it to be published. Now its all about the immediate publicity, to build up knowledge among researchers that your article exists as its competing in that idea space against so many other ideas. So, I sent the article into a website thats very good for publicising research (TheConversation) and getting it into media. They accepted the general idea and said - sure get me an article for tomorrow. Only had 30 minutes before picking up the youngest and wrote 900 words in those 30 minutes. Its not great but its decent and will be good after editing. My main point - fucking hell, if I could bottle that type of enthusiasm. 900 fucking words in 30 minutes. How are there sometimes months with nothing and then minutes with everything.

Comment

I think the polarisation only really happens online, the medium encourages it, twitter anyway. IRL it's a lot easier to debate things rationally, and I have done a lot.

Not sure there's any point at all in trying to engage in debate online. This place the rare exception, although I'm sure Jbravado would say this is an echo chamber.

I think the hostile nature of online debate naturally gravitates people to safe echo chambers. Personally I try to curate my social media experience, wholesale blocking etc for the sake of my mental wellbeing, shutting out stuff like what's going on in Ballymun, but I'm all over it when it pops up in flesh and bone conversation.
                        Fuck me it's 1am and I'm drinking whiskey and calling Peter Casey a cunt on twitter.

Would call him a cunt to his face tbf.

Comment

I didn't enjoy aftersun at all. So slow.

Comment

A big thing in modern academia in publicising your work. You used to send off the research article to a journal, wait two years for it to be accepted, wait another two years for it to be published. Now its all about the immediate publicity, to build up knowledge among researchers that your article exists as its competing in that idea space against so many other ideas. So, I sent the article into a website thats very good for publicising research (TheConversation) and getting it into media. They accepted the general idea and said - sure get me an article for tomorrow. Only had 30 minutes before picking up the youngest and wrote 900 words in those 30 minutes. Its not great but its decent and will be good after editing. My main point - fucking hell, if I could bottle that type of enthusiasm. 900 fucking words in 30 minutes. How are there sometimes months with nothing and then minutes with everything.
                            Nothing like a deadline to organise your thoughts and crystallise ideas!

Dylan wrote Blowin in the Wind in 10 mins apparently.

Presume the more data you are exposed too and the various sensory input factors used to absorb that data = possibility of good ideas/novels/songs/research papers/conversations etc

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                              I didn't enjoy aftersun at all. So slow.
                              yeah, neither did i. no idea why it got such incredible reviews

Comment

Re Aftersun....the trailer put me off ....just had a bleak depressing feel to it

Comment

Chelsea renting Felix for 6 months for 11 million and he gets sent off 1st game . Great bit of business.
                                  And the best United can do is sign a Burnley reject . Tbf, he is costing peanuts and he suits ETH in a couple of ways. He has a massive workrate in terms of pressing activity and gives a focal point for Bruno, Rashford etc to play off. Not to mention being an ideal target for Eriksen's set piece delivery and plan B over the top of a high press. Time will tell but he's not there to score 15 goals.

More concering for United heads would be the £300m hole in finances for future installments on previous transfers. If ETH doesn't deliver regular Champion's League football then that club is in going to regress. Maybe not destined to be as fubar'd as Barca but someone really needs to toe the line on the finances. Newcastle and any other future oligarch/state funded club can easily leapfrog them. A lot will depend on what happens when/if the Glazers decide to cash out.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Any links/reading on this, I'm curious how the whole thing works!

Here's one near La Rochelle. Most of the relevant info is on the website.

This video on Facebook shows somebody landing and taxiing up to a house there:

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

And the best United can do is sign a Burnley reject . Tbf, he is costing peanuts and he suits ETH in a couple of ways. He has a massive workrate in terms of pressing activity and gives a focal point for Bruno, Rashford etc to play off. Not to mention being an ideal target for Eriksen's set piece delivery and plan B over the top of a high press. Time will tell but he's not there to score 15 goals.

More concering for United heads would be the £300m hole in finances for future installments on previous transfers. If ETH doesn't deliver regular Champion's League football then that club is in going to regress. Maybe not destined to be as fubar'd as Barca but someone really needs to toe the line on the finances. Newcastle and any other future oligarch/state funded club can easily leapfrog them. A lot will depend on what happens when/if the Glazers decide to cash out.
                                      I find the amount of time that is wasted discussing transfer fees, agents, wages, debt in soccer is mind numbing.
                                      It just makes the US salary cap model & draft model especially in basketball so much more superior as a spectacle.

Watching teams figure out how they can manipulate caps & contracts and make trades, the subsequent grading of trades remains really interesting without all the negative financial discussion that revolve around soccer.

I understand it’s not apples to apples but I’d imagine that people would find that particular aspect of the NBA to be objectively more interesting than the model in soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                        On the topic of homes, I am now officially house hunting.
                                        All this shed talk has me feeling left out. Despite Tar's escapades I've started looking myself.

How active is the market? I'm guessing if X is your budget you're probably looking at listings that are 20% below that?

Is it worth looking outside daft. Is there a possibility that less-online sellers might not be listed there?

I think Hitch recommended Terry Gorry's book. Is that worth reading?

Comment

We're at the stage where the lender are doing 'final checks' before drawdown having had all of the documentation for the guts of a week already. I fully expect that process to end on Tuesday, the day after another rate increase comes into effect

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                            Getting loads of this kinda shite in random casual chat lately:
                                            "........the health service is broken because of all the foreigners we are letting in".
                                            "....... there is a housing crisis because of all the foreigners in the country."
                                            "...... loads of crime and robberies now because of all the foreigners".
                                            "....... [insert problem here] is because of all the bloody foreigners".

What's the best way to respond to this casual racism?
                                            I was out with someone at the weekend who isn't from Ireland. Moved here about ten years ago. And they went on a long monologue about how Ireland needs to set a cap on people coming into the country in line with our housing situation (and it's the second time I've heard this speech from her ). I wasn't sure where to start so just didn't say anything and moved on to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I find the amount of time that is wasted discussing transfer fees, agents, wages, debt in soccer is mind numbing.
                                              It just makes the US salary cap model & draft model especially in basketball so much more superior as a spectacle.

Watching teams figure out how they can manipulate caps & contracts and make trades, the subsequent grading of trades remains really interesting without all the negative financial discussion that revolve around soccer.

I understand it’s not apples to apples but I’d imagine that people would find that particular aspect of the NBA to be objectively more interesting than the model in soccer.
                                              I really like the draft and salary cap model. The whole environment in feeds into it though, from shool -> college -> pro. Being USA only sports/leagues makes it possible.

Soccer being global makes it more difficult to manage in the same way, that's not to say it shouldn't more controlled or regulated. I think we'd all enjoy a bit more chat about the game rather than debt and money pumped into clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                All this shed talk has me feeling left out. Despite Tar's escapades I've started looking myself.

How active is the market? I'm guessing if X is your budget you're probably looking at listings that are 20% below that?

Is it worth looking outside daft. Is there a possibility that less-online sellers might not be listed there?

Estimated 2% inflation in house prices for 2023. Significant slowdown. Lots of landlords exiting the market, apparently 40% of house sales were as a result of that.

Not sure how acute the slowdown is or will become but using a sample of 1; I’m told our neighbour(most direct comparison to our house) had an offer for 3% above asking back in Oct/Nov, decided to wait, offer gone and has recently sold for 3% below asking.

Comment

ah its very basic, I just liked it anyway. not sure I learned anything from it

Comment

We seem to be looking at, at best, stable house prices. I suppose the big thing is where you are looking. If its a decent enough area of Dublin, then there's simply enough income being earned out there that decent area prices are unlikely to fall. As Terry Gorry mentioned about the old adage: 'buy the best house you can afford in the best area, but even a bad house in a good area is better than a good house in a bad area.', or something along those lines anyway.

Comment

We seem to be looking at, at best, stable house prices. I suppose the big thing is where you are looking. If its a decent enough area of Dublin, then there's simply enough income being earned out there that decent area prices are unlikely to fall. As Terry Gorry mentioned about the old adage: 'buy the best house you can afford in the best area, but even a bad house in a good area is better than a good house in a bad area.', or something along those lines anyway.
                                                      Are things not changing quickly on that front? Ranelagh was a bad area until it wasn't, and then it was Stoneybatter, Inchicore etc.

I'd just be looking for somewhere convenient and ideally somewhere where when you say the address an older person would wince
                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 13-01-23, 11:01.

Comment

Despite my escapades having a place that is 4 times bigger and not paying rent is pretty great, good luck.
                                                        Market has slowed down a bit, supply rose with a lot of LL's selling. The rising interest rates make it harder for people to get their max loan amount but at the same time the basic lending rule going from 3.5x to 4x this month will expand what non struggling people can get too. Banks are currently refusing drawdowns for tech workers sometimes as the underwriters are saying the market is too volatile, which would be a lot of the high earners but I'm sure people will get around that with letters from their work or whatever. There is inflation in construction costs and that's causing a slowdown of building things afaik, so as you can see the factors are all over the place. I'd say especially for houses that need work that massive overbidding will be less of a thing for now, while turn key houses probably still command a premium, mine was 100k over but I'd be surprised if it was still as bad. Apart from daft or myhome, you'd probably need some local knowledge of a place to get a house off market.

Comment

We need to get away from our obsession with houses in big cities. Should be predominantly apartment living.
                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Are things not changing quickly on that front? Ranelagh was a bad area until it wasn't, and then it was Stoneybatter, Inchicore etc.
                                                            Yeah, I'd say the best area is one that you want to live in, it will all be gentrified pretty fast apart from areas you won't be looking anyway. Where I am was so grim when i moved to dublin, now I get cauliflower wings and tofu scramble in two places next door.

Comment

We need to get away from our obsession with houses in big cities. Should be predominantly apartment living.
                                                              It should be, build up ffs. But who trusts shite Irish apartments, there needs to be a big overhaul in the process and standards, accountability, be very happy living in apartments in other countries - it's been amazing in the past, not in Ireland for sure. Still lots of horror stories here trying to get damage fixed in apartments, management companies are non existent. A student apartment I lived in in Amsterdam was better than any place in Ireland I've seen, including houses. Place flew up as well, builders lived on the site. They treat apartments properly, better standard, long contracts etc. No idea what new build apartments are like here now, time will tell, they certainly are expensive!

Comment

i dont know how you can look someone in their wounded eyes and tell them to get out of my country Takes a special kind of cold bastard to say that.

Apart from English types of course
                                                                Most people wouldn't do it one to one. There are plenty who would happily do it from the relative anonymity of a crowd though. Same as crap you hear of happening at football matches. Online loads again hide behind anonymity to be brave, but if there was ever a face to face, even with zero threat or likelihood of physical repercussions, most would be quiet as a mouse I suspect.

Not all, but most. Some of the people in these protests are also probably only there because it allows them to disrupt and cause chaos. I doubt many protesting have well informed, strongly held views.

Comment

I'd just be looking for somewhere convenient and ideally somewhere where when you say the address an older person would wince
                                                                  There's always going to be 'bad' areas, prices have just gone up so you can end up paying X in a bad area where X would have gotten you something in a nicer area a few years back. One of the reasons it took us so long to find a place was that we'd been to see some places that were around our budget and just didn't like the vibe of the place.

There's defo movement in terms of how bad a bad area is at this stage with younger people gentrifying. A bunch of the ones we gave serious thought to were ex-council houses that had clearly had a decent bit of money put into them

Comment

Proximity to critical services trump everything.
                                                                    If an area offers ready access to the primary hubs for employment, retail, education & entertainment they'll always be ripe for redevelopment.

Docklands were a grim wasteland for decades but proximity to the city made recovery inevitable.
                                                                    Crumlin & Ballymun were conceived as dumping ground for society's underprivileged and doomed.

If you view property as an investment buy in well
                                                                    located areas which are down on their luck.
                                                                    If you're going to live in the property buy the
                                                                    largest site your budget allows in a thriving spot.
                                                                    Quality of life today out ranks future possibilities.

Holiday homes & sheds!!!
                                                                    What happened to us???
                                                                    Last edited by DeeBrown; 13-01-23, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                      Proximity to critical services trump everything.
                                                                      Living one minute from the hospital is +EV for me in case something happens plus my water will never be turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

One of the reasons it took us so long to find a place was that we'd been to see some places that were around our budget and just didn't like the vibe of the place.
                                                                        I visiting a relative and I was wondering why the area felt unsafe and run down, and then I realised it was just the street lighting. Many areas have bright white street lighting, and this place had dimmer yellow street lighting. Amazing the difference it made.

Comment

Not too sure as we've literally just started looking.

That said on a very small sample size (of two houses) there was a lot of interest in both in terms of numbers of people turning up to view them, although I'm sure there is a certain percentage of tire kickers in every viewing.

I think it will come down to area. Houses in so called nice areas will still commend a premium but based on what I saw last weekend, houses in, at best, average areas are still pricey. One of the houses we looked at was on the market for €700K and it looks like it's already gone sale agreed. House was OK, you could move into it right away but you would want to do some work in time but the area wasn't good.

We're going to one in Ranelagh tomorrow. Appointment was made earlier in the week and the estate agent told us by the time we get to view it, it might already be sale agreed.

Comment

Out at Bray, an hour walk to the coast in the middle of nowhere

CkyzUZgl.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

All Jimmy Hills fault

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                Out at Bray, an hour walk to the coast in the middle of nowhere

CkyzUZgl.jpg
                                                                                There is a new development near us, beside the racecourse which many will know. I find housing brochures an awful waste of time: https://strandhilltramore.ie/

I haven’t enquired but based on what I’ve seen in the area, I’d say the 3 & 4 beds are approx 60% of the asking price here.

Too many fatties for RD3 to deal with but the front row of phase 1 should have some nice views for a while.

Comment

Living one minute from the hospital is +EV for me in case something happens plus my water will never be turned off.
                                                                                  yeah everyone knows it's important to save the few minutes getting to hospital before the 60 hour wait in A&E

Comment

You will need a stronger argument than that to convince your misses.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

yeah everyone knows it's important to save the few minutes getting to hospital before the 60 hour wait in A&E
                                                                                      Nah I mean my friends appendix was about to burst and we got there in two minutes and she was bam in surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                        Emmet we got the bike shed timbertrove do, nice and tidy and comes in two sizes. That said we've nothing too expensive bike-wise but it suited us for those and power washer and small space for other small stuff.

https://www.timbertrove.com/bike-sto...hed-2956-p.asp
                                                                                        have had these recommended to us by a gardener friend and also discovered that they look like they have an absolutely class bakery/café on site too. Looks like a lovely Sunday morning's activities. Sheds and Scones.

Comment

Where I am was so grim when i moved to dublin, now I get cauliflower wings and tofu scramble in two places next door.
                                                                                          ah yeah, but i think thats unusual - most areas tend to get better, not worse.

Comment

Personally think Dun Laoghaire is a class area. Has its own feel as a place, big local budget for area improvements, simple to get into town, but because a lot of 'trades' used to live there there are loads of those former council 82sqm houses available for 400k, that probably can only increase in value, when you modernise and expand the space.

We were thinking we might move into Clonskeagh as the kids gravitate towards their secondary school there, but now thinking almost certainly not as its just rows and rows of houses with nothing - no mountains, no seas, no sense of 'an area'.

Obv the likes of Ranelagh would be tops, but almost impossible to afford there for most people.

Comment

40% of 16-24s haven't had a beer in at least a year

Comment

most times you turn up in A&E you'll be seen almost straightaway

Comment

have had these recommended to us by a gardener friend and also discovered that they look like they have an absolutely class bakery/café on site too. Looks like a lovely Sunday morning's activities. Sheds and Scones.
                                                                                                  Dont forget the stroll up The Hell Fire across the road first to work up an appetite/tire kids out

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Dont forget the stroll up The Hell Fire across the road first to work up an appetite/tire kids out
                                                                                                    Massy’s Estate on the other side of the road is also pretty spectacular.

Comment

Most stuff can pop into the HSE clinic in Smithfield and be seen straight away too.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Dun Laoghaire being nice must be the biggest hot take I've seen on here

Comment

I think Monkstown is the creme de la creme Dublin area.

Comment

Yeah. I'd say the locals there are pricks though - Sandymount level of prickishness. While DunLaoghaire is a bit more of a blended community.

Comment

Ah yeah, pint in the Farmhouse Inn there be grand way to test Hitch's A&E theory

Comment

Yeah. I'd say the locals there are pricks though - Sandymount level of prickishness. While DunLaoghaire is a bit more of a blended community.
                                                                                                                  Looked at a few places in Monkstown during our search. It's very similar to Dun Laoghaire given they're neighbours and there's lots of ex-council estates around Monkstown Farm

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Looked at a few places in Monkstown during our search. It's very similar to Dun Laoghaire given they're neighbours and there's lots of ex-council estates around Monkstown Farm
                                                                                                                    ah, i might be judging it based on its fancy first impressions. And indeed Monkstown Farm is almost directly opposite me.

Comment

lol, this is absolute bullshit for every country i've ever lived in, and ireland was one of the worst tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

lol, this is absolute bullshit for every country i've ever lived in, and ireland was one of the worst tbh.
                                                                                                                        Isn't it that if you turn up in the evenings - due to low staff and excessive drinking incidents to deal with - or the weekend - for similar reasons, that you'll definitely be waiting, but generally its grand apart from that.

Comment

Ex lives/grew up there, lovely house and area. Much more of a city person so not for me but very nice.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X