Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, Barry Keoghan to me is like Aidan Gillen. I can't understand how either get praised for acting or how they continually keep getting acting roles.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
      I certainly didn't dislike Banshees, but it was definitely weird, so not 100% sure how I felt about it.

I won't go into any detail but the bit that repeatedly jarred was the continued use of the phrase 'no more', as in "I just don't like you no more", by multiple characters. It felt out of step with the natural flow of the language being used to me.
      There was definitely some language used that was not of its time but I don't think that detracted in any way.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
        Emmet I have a slightly larger garden shed from that company in Murdrum's post.

It's good build quality but can't speak for vfm as my mate used his staff discount in woodies before they put up prices. We got a proper deal at the time but not sure of what the vfm vs competitors now.

Prior to the shed being built (4-5 month backlog from covid) we had a small plastic mini shed for about €150 to store some tools and lawnmower. I wouldn't put a bike or anything valuable in one though. You could pop the lid/hinges by hand even with a lock on the doors.

Another option which might work is installing a bike rack on your wall/ceiling inside the gaff. Some of them can be folded but it's not necessarily for everyone. Takes up a little space and isn't quite the tidiest. Maybe not the safest setup for a house with small kids either.
        I've gone full greenearth and bought a 3rd bike, this time a cargo one that should be able to shift the kid and some shopping etc. No chance it's coming into the house! It's probably a wee bit bigger than standard bikes, so I'm likely going to need to either get something kind of bespoke or else just go for the lean-to option and throw a bit of polyurethane sheeting up at a slant and leave that and the racer covered from the elements.

Am of the opinion that all you can do to prevent bike theft is make it not a target, anyone who's scoped the bike/spot will be able to take it within a few minutes so you're only stopping opportunistic people really. Perhaps nihilistic in nature but that's how I feel about them!

Comment

Was talking to someone yesterday and they kept going on about their holiday house. Mostly in a negative vein, about the upkeep, the cost, the hassle - 'I'll have to go to down there now and check on the heating, the pump broke last winter'. Mostly it seemed they just wanted me to know they had a holiday house and this made them a Big Deal.

It did occur to me that, in this day and age, why in the hell anyone sane would want such a thing? Going to the same place, year after year, going through the pain of maintenance, upkeep, taxes etc etc. Go somewhere new each year, rent a nice place to stay and enjoy the discoveries therein.

Am I:
          (a) a grumpy old curmudgeon, or
          (b) a Nobel prize worthy genius of remarkable insight and vision

(there is no in between option) Discuss.

Comment

A feckin pointless pretentious misery fest of feckin artsy-fartsy paddywhackery with feckin clunky dialogue. Mash up all the hallmark social problem of rural rural Ireland, in a Father Ted meets Synge style, from loneliness to child abuse, undereducation to alcoholism. Then point at it and go ara musha the poor craythurs but aren't they cute and funny at times. Makes The Field look like Laurence of Arabia. The main reason people feel uneasy about it is they know they are supposed to like it and will have to find a way to justify it.
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              Was talking to someone yesterday and they kept going on about their holiday house. Mostly in a negative vein, about the upkeep, the cost, the hassle - 'I'll have to go to down there now and check on the heating, the pump broke last winter'. Mostly it seemed they just wanted me to know they had a holiday house and this made them a Big Deal.

It did occur to me that, in this day and age, why in the hell anyone sane would want such a thing? Going to the same place, year after year, going through the pain of maintenance, upkeep, taxes etc etc. Go somewhere new each year, rent a nice place to stay and enjoy the discoveries therein.

Am I:

I can see the benefit if you are of pension age and will be a second home in a sunny spot you will based yourself for extended periods of the year.

Maybe too if you are a very nuclear family with lots of small kids (thinking grandparents here too) that it's just handy to head back to a place you know and no surprises.

Now in my head I'm basing that on a location like Albufeira or Lanzarote etc.
              Not arse end of Cavan
              Last edited by Micknail; 12-01-23, 10:25.
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Emmet we got the bike shed timbertrove do, nice and tidy and comes in two sizes. That said we've nothing too expensive bike-wise but it suited us for those and power washer and small space for other small stuff.

An excellent quality bike storage shed, with steel security features. Our bike sheds are strong and built to last, featuring double doors for easy access and steel security features. The highest quality timber bike shed in Ireland!
                Last edited by Dice75; 12-01-23, 10:39.

Comment

Boooo. Zero Wombats for this post.

I'm looking forward to rewatching.
                  kind of agree and disagree. Colin Farrells role could really have been played by anyone. I don’t get the ‘brilliant’ acting in it for Oscars, Globes etc . ( I get the Chemistry between the lads) Gleeson stole the show for me but he has more depth as an actor so no competition there. The movie was enjoyable but very depressing (ala the Field) . I wouldn’t hail it as a masterpiece or anything but sure the bar is low these days. I think we Irish get away with a lot due to our culture heritage. I mean Glen Hansard won an Oscar for a catchy enough soulful song but nothing great about it. When you think of the amazing musicals in past years I think we are definitely regressing in a lot of the creative arts. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve been listening to the much hated Bonos Surrender. (the audiobook has some tunes at least) I can see how his haters will go to town on him but I’m enjoying it a lot. I’ve never been a hater just never really got into U2 the way some folk have. I think they have done great and are a credit to Ireland and a bit like McGregor they cleverly hijacked something and drained every euro out of it. WP all.

Comment

Am I:

Nut existence is probably:
                    x time at home
                    y time in 2nd home in nut area/place
                    z time traveling/visiting other places

Comment

Emmet We ordered one of the Sheds Direct steel ones last year, after a good bit of research, visited a few shed 'showrooms'. This one. Cost another €300 or so for them to install, which they did very efficiently I must say. Had to get a concrete base put down, which cost a further €1,400 IIRC, that was more of a pain. The Sheds Direct metal sheds are thinner than the Steeltech equivalents, and this is certainly reflected in the prices - I think Steeltech are almost certainly great, but overkill for most people! Wooden sheds have a finite lifespan, particularly the roof, I'd go with metal over wood if you are considering both. Very happy with the shed so far.

PXL_20220420_103913333.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I can see the benefit if you are of pension age and will be a second home in a sunny spot you will based yourself for extended periods of the year.

Maybe too if you are a very nuclear family with lots of small kids (thinking grandparents here too) that it's just handy to head back to a place you know and no surprises.

Now in my head I'm basing that on a location like Albufeira or Lanzarote etc.
                        Not arse end of Cavan
                        Meh, even if you're of pension age, there is no excuse.

Small kids get larger, no excuses.

I think forfeiture of said property, plus some kind of identifying facial tattoo, is the only reasonable course of action.

Comment

I thing Degag has it...Would be nice to have a base for 3-4 months in the winter and then travelling on top of that. That said, it probably would be a giant hassle unless it was a lock-up and leave apartment which defeats the purpose a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                            Emmet We ordered one of the Sheds Direct steel ones last year, after a good bit of research, visited a few shed 'showrooms'. This one. Cost another €300 or so for them to install, which they did very efficiently I must say. Had to get a concrete base put down, which cost a further €1,400 IIRC, that was more of a pain. The Sheds Direct metal sheds are thinner than the Steeltech equivalents, and this is certainly reflected in the prices - I think Steeltech are almost certainly great, but overkill for most people! Wooden sheds have a finite lifespan, particularly the roof, I'd go with metal over wood if you are considering both. Very happy with the shed so far.

[]
                            This is where we saved quite a bit. It cost us approx 500e for a similar area.
                            Providers weren’t willing to send the amount we wanted so we were told we needed to order 2 or 3x the required amount.

Builders were still in the estate so father-in-law arranged that they add the amount we needed to an order and had it dropped up to us.

Comment

Meh, even if you're of pension age, there is no excuse.

Small kids get larger, no excuses.

I think forfeiture of said property, plus some kind of identifying facial tattoo, is the only reasonable course of action.
                              You could be right.
                              For last year's MotoGP trip we luckily got to stay in one of the lads parents holiday apartment near Portimao.
                              He had been there ten+ times himself, and was now bringing his kids and wife there annually.

Hmmmm takes a certain type of character to be happy to visit the same spots repeatedly alright.
                              Mostly booze hounds that just sit in the Irish bar for a week.

I echo the post saying it's defo handy as a 'base' for further excursions. But jaysus cost/value surely needs to be considered.
                              Another aspect is getting some rent from the thing.
                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Am I:

(a) but I am very biased.

My parents and uncle co-own a summer house down in Wicklow. Spent every summer there and most school holidays until I was about 15. Makes up a massive proportion of my happiest childhood memories. Trade off was that I only every went on one overseas holiday as a kid. From time to time it seemed like a bad deal, especially when a lot of the other owners down there were much wealthier than us and were able to do both but with hindsight, wouldn't trade it.

While we were house hunting this year, myself and my wife lived there for 6 months and every time I visit i get an almost tangible nostalgia hit.

The upkeep of the place isn't a massive burden for my folks as it maybe would be for others and my uncle share half and me and my brothers use it semi regularly so contribute too.

Under no doubt that whenever my parents pass away (in several decades hopefully), me and 2 of my 3 brothers will actively seek to retain ownership of it with not a thought given to the family home where i spent more of my life.

Comment

Am I:

Definitely A but I'm not sure what that's got to do with holidays homes

I love the idea of a holiday home. The ideal location for me would be south of France. Mrs Lao Lao hates the idea of it and like yourself thinks, why would you want to go to the same place every year? I'm in the Degag camp, you spend some time at home, some time in your holiday home and travel to lots of cool new places. For me, having a holiday means you go full hog, you have everything you need there so you literally just jump on the plane with your passport, wallet, keys and phone. No luggage, etc needed.

Despite Mrs Lao Lao not liking the idea of a holiday home, we still go west 4-5 times a year. Slightly different situation in that the house out west is technically her fathers main home and he has an apartment in Dublin but he could easily split his time 50/50 between the two. Despite going to the same place 4/5 times a year, I'd never get bored of going west, walking on the same beaches, swimming in the same spots, eating in the same places. For me, a holiday home is more about complete and utter relaxation and switching off rather than a real holiday when you want to explore something new which is why I like to do both!

Comment

Some people I know with holiday homes go or did go most weekends. I think a holiday home can provide a cut off for some people with stressful jobs. More than just a place where they take their annual holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                      Am of the opinion that all you can do to prevent bike theft is make it not a target, anyone who's scoped the bike/spot will be able to take it within a few minutes so you're only stopping opportunistic people really. Perhaps nihilistic in nature but that's how I feel about them!
                                      You're on the money here, really if it's out of sight that's the majority of the security taken care of. Scrotes gonna scrote if they want your bike.

It always annoys me when you're over in Germany/Netherlands etc to see bicycles safely scattered around the city and often freestanding. The most security you see is a tiny lock between the wheel and frame. It's the scrote depiction of heaven. Why can't we have nice things?

Comment

Am I:

Trick is to live somewhere that you don't really feel the need to escape from.

But yeah other than somewhere warm to spend winters in retirement I can't see the point. Can't be many situations where it would work out more economical than renting somewhere for a few weeks a year.

There is a big difference between a holiday home and a second home IMO, with the cut off will be somewhere that is being used c. > 30% of the time.
                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 12-01-23, 13:30.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

On the topic of homes, I am now officially house hunting. Mrs Lao Lao has been rumbling about it for a while but Christmas Day followed by 4 weeks of the in laws with us has put her over the edge.

Went to see two places last Saturday. Neither of them would float your boat in any way, shape or form and the price of them was redonk for what they were.

This is going to be grim!

Comment

The Finns with their 1000s of lake have summer cottages on the perimeter for escaping at weekends and for months in the summer . Have stayed in a few . Pretty idyllic. Bit of upkeep though . Had a great week in Uncle Pekkas last year . A swim and a Sauna every morning. Midnight on the lakes - the stars amazing . Him being a top chef also made for EPIC meals Would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                              On the topic of homes, I am now officially house hunting. Mrs Lao Lao has been rumbling about it for a while but Christmas Day followed by 4 weeks of the in laws with us has put her over the edge.

Went to see two places last Saturday. Neither of them would float your boat in any way, shape or form and the price of them was redonk for what they were.

Are ye living with her parents? If not, what am I missing? How would moving house make whatever occurred over Christmas less likely? Moving further from them? More space so that on visits (long or short) ye have different areas of the house to be in?

Comment

I thought Mrs Lao's place was your home?

Comment

Also, Barry Keoghan to me is like Aidan Gillen. I can't understand how either get praised for acting or how they continually keep getting acting roles.
                                                  He appeared totally out of his depth during the Faith Healer.

One of the few plays I've been to where they didn't get at least a polite standing ovation.

Comment

Nice lunch in Gursha with Hitch. Asked the waitress to just bring whatever she recommends and it hit the spot. Would return for their "supper club". Reasonably priced too and a nice introduction to my first Ethopian dining experience

Comment

The scene by the lake was top class in fairness given his usual demeanour. He fuckin nailed it

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                        Nice lunch in Gursha with Hitch. Asked the waitress to just bring whatever she recommends and it hit the spot. Would return for their "supper club". Reasonably priced too and a nice introduction to my first Ethopian dining experience
                                                        Do you need to book for lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Do you need to book for lunch?
                                                          Definitely not (and also you can't book for lunch). We were the only people in there. Although we did turn up at midday so maybe the lunch-time folk hadn't arrived yet. Its all vegan food for lunch. Thought it was brilliant quality!
                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Are ye living with her parents? If not, what am I missing? How would moving house make whatever occurred over Christmas less likely? Moving further from them? More space so that on visits (long or short) ye have different areas of the house to be in?
                                                            guess its about space. he was saying it was tight with everyone there.

Comment

God no, not living with her parents. We're in an apartment, which is grand. Location is amazing but we were already at a point where it was getting too small for just the two of us (Mrs Lao Lao working 4 out 5 day a week from home didn't help) and Christmas just rammed home the fact that anything other than the two of us there is painful in terms of lack of space.

I thought Mrs Lao's place was your home?
                                                              It is although she doesn't own it, she's just lived there for 20+ years. Her sister owns it and we rent it (at exceptionally lower than market rates I might add)

Comment

Seems I'm wrong about holiday homes so.

In fairness, my ire was probably based on this fella wittering on at me.

Comment

It is although she doesn't own it, she's just lived there for 20+ years. Her sister owns it and we rent it (at exceptionally lower than market rates I might add)
                                                                  Sounds like a dream scenario, what's the problem?

Comment

First French rugby trip in three years tomorrow (La Rochelle). I imagine I'll be fit for the knackers yard by Sunday evening.

Comment

First French rugby trip in three years tomorrow (La Rochelle). I imagine I'll be fit for the knackers yard by Sunday evening.
                                                                      really like la rochelle. lovely spot. the rugby should be absolute carnage though the way ulster have been playing lately. wouldn't be surprised if they brought out a 3rd string team unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I'm not sure which is which. I struggle to read the small print.

Have no issues with far away things, no problem driving for instance. Is that long sighted then?

Both eyes the same.

Can you get laser again then to correct it?
                                                                        Long sighted it sounds like.
                                                                        Your prescription should have a + number rather than - figure.

I could get the one done again, but might wait till it's actually shit enough to be worth doing.
                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Sounds like a dream scenario, what's the problem?

Stop bringing logic to a conversation with a woman who has her heart set on spending a shit ton of money on buying something shiny!

Even when you add in the fact that I pay the mortgage on my house (that my Dad lives in, so no rental income), it's still a decent deal for us but how and ever...

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

really like la rochelle. lovely spot. the rugby should be absolute carnage though the way ulster have been playing lately. wouldn't be surprised if they brought out a 3rd string team unfortunately
                                                                            Meant to be windy and wet, which might help but yeah, Ulster in a bad spot.

Let's face it though, the stuff on the pitch is fairly incidental to our enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Long sighted it sounds like.
                                                                              Your prescription should have a + number rather than - figure.

I could get the one done again, but might wait till it's actually shit enough to be worth doing.
                                                                              FYP

Comment

Meant to be windy and wet, which might help but yeah, Ulster in a bad spot.

Let's face it though, the stuff on the pitch is fairly incidental to our enjoyment.
                                                                                Very True!!

was meant to be coming to dublin for the ireland france game next month. sadly, still no surgery date in sight, so we called it off. absolutely gutted

Comment

Seems I'm wrong about holiday homes so.

In fairness, my ire was probably based on this fella wittering on at me.
                                                                                  Nah you're right, who the fuck wants a second one of these death traps.

Though I also do actually agree with you unless it's a second place in a foreign locale I always want to go to like Barcelona or London, not the butt fuck middle of nowhere in Ireland. Then airbnb it when not there.

Have my first piece of furniture now, a table, was a shambles to build and flip upright it @80kg, since when are they so heavy. I give it two weeks until total destruction.

Also Ethiopian food class, Inisherin class.
                                                                                  How much is lunch in Gursha? Is it a set menu?
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-01-23, 17:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Also Ethiopian food class, Inisherin class.
                                                                                    How much is lunch in Gursha? Is it a set menu?
                                                                                    €21 per person for five 'things' per person. We just asked the (hot, and hot in an Ethiopian sense for added goodness) waitress to make the selection.

Comment

Would love a holiday apartment in a nice French city. Grenoble probably. Great for the summer, great for the winter. Not a house though, maintenance etc would be awful.

Comment

France has a number of 'airparks' where you basically land on a runway and taxi through the housing estate and park your plane outside your holiday home. I fancy that for retirement I think.

Comment

Sheds!

Holiday homes!!

Holidays!!!

​​​​​​[QUOTE] [https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k/QUOTE]

Comment

Getting loads of this kinda shite in random casual chat lately:
                                                                                            "........the health service is broken because of all the foreigners we are letting in".
                                                                                            "....... there is a housing crisis because of all the foreigners in the country."
                                                                                            "...... loads of crime and robberies now because of all the foreigners".
                                                                                            "....... [insert problem here] is because of all the bloody foreigners".

What's the best way to respond to this casual racism?
                                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Maybe just don't.
                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

"........the health service is broken because of all the foreigners we are letting in".
                                                                                                "....... there is a housing crisis because of all the foreigners in the country."

Tell them they're right and they should emigrate to somewhere that has a properly staunch attitude to foreigners.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                  Saw The Weir tonight in The Abbey as part of the new year resolution to see a play a month. Think a fair few you have seen it. Oh my lord, maybe I'm just not used to plays, but that was a deeply brilliant play.
                                                                                                  I’d say my favourite part of reading the BBV is your infectious enthusiasm for the new things you try, places you eat or books you’ve read to trends you’ve seen. Love it

Comment

"........the health service is broken because of all the foreigners we are letting in". "If it wasn't for immigration we wouldn't have a health service, direct your ire at a system that exports our nurses and doctors, not at the Filipino nurses and Pakistani doctors that are literally saving our lives"

"....... there is a housing crisis because of all the foreigners in the country." "There's myriad reasons as to why there's a housing crisis, direct your ire at your local FF TD, we're nowhere near the population level we were pre famine so don't blame innocent folk seeking shelter or a better life when we sought that same better life for generations"

"...... loads of crime and robberies now because of all the foreigners". "Bullshit. Generally people that leave everything behind for a better life in an unknown land are the best people, the most drriven people, the most responsible people. There isn't 'loads of crime and robberies' nowadays anyway, the opposite is true. Your exposure to such is simply heightened due to technology and social media"

"....... [insert problem here] is because of all the bloody foreigners". "GFY"

That or find new circles.
                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Find it interesting how now decades into the opening up of country to higher levels of immigration you see fuck all of the 2nd generation in GAA or rugby- it’s still that rare that when someone does break through to an intercounty team there is tonnes over over the top patronising coverage (more so in GAA) meanwhile soccer has no issue.

can only imagine the vicious shit that gets said sledging- the worst shit I’ve ever heard said to someone was on a GAA pitch
                                                                                                      Last edited by MysteryGuest; 12-01-23, 21:29.
                                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                        Prince Harry doing great work- really should be made an honorary Irishman- him and the wife absolutely tilting the fuck out total cunts it’s great stuff
                                                                                                        Having read more of the extracts - Jesus Christ he is one self absorbed ass-hat- how did the ghost writer keep a straight face
                                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Good news for anyone who is having trouble getting to sleep

Rugby set for its own ‘Drive to Survive’ as Netflix confirm Six Nations documentary series

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-42281943.html

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Having read more of the extracts - Jesus Christ he is one self absorbed ass-hat- how did the ghost writer keep a straight face
                                                                                                            I'd imagine he or she were mostly concentrating on the advance and % from sales. Hope they did well
                                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                              France has a number of 'airparks' where you basically land on a runway and taxi through the housing estate and park your plane outside your holiday home. I fancy that for retirement I think.
                                                                                                              Any links/reading on this, I'm curious how the whole thing works!
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

PXL_20220420_103913333.jpg
                                                                                                                am in the market for one of these myself.
                                                                                                                Felt came off my shed today so praying it's not swamped out tonight.
                                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The brain trust in my home town protesting and demanding the foreigners leave an obviously empty school was a highlight this evening.
                                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd imagine he or she were mostly concentrating on the advance and % from sales. Hope they did well
                                                                                                                    I went to Liffey Valley last night to collect my glasses.

Needed coriander so headed to M&S. Passed Dubray and saw it in the window for €17.99.

The missus is into all that shit so I texted her asking did she want it. She said yes.

Walked into Dubray then on the way back and was horrified to see it was actually €27.99.

Glasses still in the Vision Express bag obv.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

That or find new circles.
                                                                                                                      I find the polarisation of conversations now can be quite toxic for debate, you’re either with us or against us. It’s possible to be pro choice / and anti immigration, or pro gender equality and against same sex marraige etc. (insert liberal/conservative view to suit). I think when ends up happening then is people revert to echo chambers and they read echo chamber news, and you get this type of middle ground extremism, to coin a phrase, which stops people calling out the bullshit highlighted earlier. Of course there will be refugees/asylum seekers who commit crimes, there are also far more of them who, as you say are supporting our health system from cracking. (Incidentally 44% of health care workers in Ireland weren’t trained here, per IT today).

I think calling it out repeatedly and having an honest conversation with people is the best approach, I prefer to say things like “what makes you say that, or why do you think that” and quite quickly you can tell if its a deeply held view or something they read in the paper that day, goes a long way to diffusing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I find the polarisation of conversations now can be quite toxic for debate, you’re either with us or against us. It’s possible to be pro choice / and anti immigration, or pro gender equality and against same sex marraige etc. (insert liberal/conservative view to suit). I think when ends up happening then is people revert to echo chambers and they read echo chamber news, and you get this type of middle ground extremism, to coin a phrase, which stops people calling out the bullshit highlighted earlier. Of course there will be refugees/asylum seekers who commit crimes, there are also far more of them who, as you say are supporting our health system from cracking. (Incidentally 44% of health care workers in Ireland weren’t trained here, per IT today).

I think calling it out repeatedly and having an honest conversation with people is the best approach, I prefer to say things like “what makes you say that, or why do you think that” and quite quickly you can tell if its a deeply held view or something they read in the paper that day, goes a long way to diffusing things.
                                                                                                                        I think the polarisation only really happens online, the medium encourages it, twitter anyway. IRL it's a lot easier to debate things rationally, and I have done a lot.

Not sure there's any point at all in trying to engage in debate online. This place the rare exception, although I'm sure Jbravado would say this is an echo chamber.

I think the hostile nature of online debate naturally gravitates people to safe echo chambers. Personally I try to curate my social media experience, wholesale blocking etc for the sake of my mental wellbeing, shutting out stuff like what's going on in Ballymun, but I'm all over it when it pops up in flesh and bone conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

That is sadly not my experience.
                                                                                                                          It's like breaking a circuit sometimes. Some people are not prepared to have their easily digested viewpoint held to any kind of scrutiny.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X