This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Not sure you'll get much in terms of kids club craic for a sub 2-year old? I'm currently holiday shopping as well. Have been looking at the 5* all-inclusive stuff, but I'm wary of resorts as I'm not a 'sit around' type of person in the slightest. She wants to do 10 days minimum but unless there was other stuff around I think I'd go scatty. The cruise last year was the absolute perfect balance of relaxing and doing stuff, with constant changes of scenery, and my kids are old enough now where we would give them the run of the ship, but probably couldn't do that in a resort or whatever. Shame cruises are now 2x last year's price!
    Yeah this place actually have 'clubs' (effectively creches I guess) for ages from 6-23 months, 2-3 years and upwards, which is what makes it quite appealing. Also separately do babysitting as well.

Comment

Babysitting services you say ? Shove this in the corner of the pub and throw a blanket over them when the music gets too loud. Be grand.

198527.jpg

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Madrid vetoed by the selection committee. Might go for Lisbon instead so.
        Ronda - Spain looks amazing.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Ronda - Spain looks amazing.

I feel ill just looking at that. Vertigo.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

So Bernard Arnault, the chairman of French luxury goods giant LVMH, passed Elon recently as the richest dude on the planet.

Luxury goods are goods where the gap between the utility value of the product and price of the product is bridged by a status value.

I avoid these products like the plague but obviously they are super popular. They appear at the 'top end' of most product ranges today from kids trainers to cars to phones. I see regular folk, often struggling with everyday bills, believing that the status these products supposedly deliver is ESSENTAIL to their existence.

What the F is going one here?

Comment

Ronda is absolutely class, as is nearby Estepona

Comment

So Bernard Arnault, the chairman of French luxury goods giant LVMH, passed Elon recently as the richest dude on the planet.

Luxury goods are goods where the gap between the utility value of the product and price of the product is bridged by a status value.

I avoid these products like the plague but obviously they are super popular. They appear at the 'top end' of most product ranges today from kids trainers to cars to phones. I see regular folk, often struggling with everyday bills, believing that the status these products supposedly deliver is ESSENTAIL to their existence.

What the F is going one here?
                those aren't luxury goods (other than super cars). they are very fashionable every day products which are expensive (the more fashionable the more expensive they tend to be), but there is nothing luxurious about them.

Comment

As part of my research last night I did pick up that TAP airfares are crazy cheap (like 50-60% of Ryanair), but that they have awful ratings from their customers.

Surely couldn't be too bad if you're flying direct off season. Anyone ever used them?
                  Tap is fine but not a top airline by any means. They've invested buckets in new branding and systems but it seems that it doesn't necessarily integrate well together. My OH had a lot of trouble trying to book a flight with her expense card (us$ one that gets topped up by the company). Tap accepted/cancelled the booking 3x times before eventually manually putting it through. Their booking system links also were broken for refunds, flight changes and adding bags. Also, the customer service seems to be 50/50, you might get a good agent.

The background is that they are a state-funded airline and pumped with funding to plug losses in recent years - some of it is covid tbf. More recently a bonus payment controversy which ended up sinking a minister and junior minister. I think one of them was on the board or previously employed and took a severance/bonus package.

Once you bypass the admin/technical issues I mentioned, their planes and staff are pleasant.

Comment

Dublin may have a Northside Southside divide but that's taking the piss.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Languages, I suspect, are surprisingly easy.
                      Lol
                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Lol
                        The more I learn Spanish, the more I hate it. It's broken - basically, not a language at all. At best, it's a protolanguage. My Spanish teacher often tells me English is worse, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Comment

A bit disappointed I didn't score higher
                          SPOILER
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

New AI needs a 3-second sample of your voice to replicate it!

Microsoft’s new AI can simulate anyone’s voice with 3 seconds of audio

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

The more I learn Spanish, the more I hate it. It's broken - basically, not a language at all. At best, it's a protolanguage. My Spanish teacher often tells me English is worse, but two wrongs don't make a right.
                              Not much to disagree with there, the Spanish all feel English is worse and anyone learning Spanish feels it’s worse.

in practice you can communicate pretty effectively while breaking grammatical rules, but once I started to learn the rules I couldn’t make myself ignore them so now i’m left constantly fighting myself in conversations as I try to remember which person in which past tense with which gender I should be using.

Even at that I barely..read:not at all…have a handle on subjunitivo which is pervasive in day to day conversation.

Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

That chap was approx three hours fitting that thing in the Attic.

So it circulates cleaner Air or something like that through The things in the ceiling. He advised leaving Mia's door open by just even an inch to which I replied there is no chance of that happening so he fitted a smaller one direct into her room @100e

There is a huge difference in the air already in her room
                                DCEA8480-573F-41D0-BCC7-B5B4376CE394.jpeg

7CC12261-6BAD-459A-919A-DFBC6584BFA3.jpeg
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Just on the back of the conversation around learning a language. I presume that thing above will or already can mimic our voice in real time. So surely it can then translate this and replay it in any language we want in the future. At least this seems like a positive use case as the harmful ones seem endless.

Comment

Lol, at least Stalin used to stick with his photoshopping

The former PM is missing from a photo posted by the business secretary of a Spaceport Cornwall visit.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 10-01-23, 20:46.
                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                      Just on the back of the conversation around learning a language. I presume that thing above will or already can mimic our voice in real time. So surely it can then translate this and replay it in any language we want in the future. At least this seems like a positive use case as the harmful ones seem endless.
                                      Was just playing some of the examples and came across one that was an Irish voice sample, the AI of it with other speech didn't sound at all Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Was just playing some of the examples and came across one that was an Irish voice sample, the AI of it with other speech didn't sound at all Irish.
                                        Which one is the Irish one? It does seem to work better with some voices than others but I presume that is just down to training data. It says in the article.

Microsoft trained VALL-E's speech-synthesis capabilities on an audio library, assembled by Meta, called LibriLight. It contains 60,000 hours of English language speech from more than 7,000 speakers, mostly pulled from LibriVox public domain audiobooks.
                                        If it has problems with certain accents then I am sure you just need to feed it more training data from that region.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

It sounded Northern Irish so it did.

Comment

Is that Google Lens add on on chrome a new thing?

Just discovered it and it blew my mind.

Hold your phone over some foreign language text and it immediately translates.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

It's around at least 5 years!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                It's around at least 5 years!
                                                Haha, no way

Comment

Should see noise cancelling headphones that translate on the fly soon. You should be able to have a conversation with anybody and hear what they are saying in the language you select from the web connected headphones.

Can't believe some dummies are killing themselves learning Spanish or Chinese

Comment

Should see noise cancelling headphones that translate on the fly soon. You should be able to have a conversation with anybody and hear what they are saying in the language you select from the web connected headphones.

It’s kind of sad as there is a real beauty in the spoken word. French, Italian sound so rich, love listening to it. An Italian can ask you for a favour and it can sound like an ominous threat, much like a walk in Darndale. However it would be great for Finnish. I hope my corny jokes translate well, why should they escape the suffering. . These AI might fk with us and mis-translate for shits and giggles

Comment

It's when it translates it back when you are speaking that would be the real winner for this. Star Trek universal translator "aka magic plot device" shit.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

It's when it translates it back when you are speaking that would be the real winner for this. Star Trek universal translator "aka magic plot device" shit.
                                                        Everyone is wearing the headphones. Get it. Can't translate output because might have to translate for 10 targets. Translate personalised input only. Implants soon no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

a bablefish
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

QQ for Betfair users:

I see a lot of complaints on social media about how the liquidity isn't what it was and how the upcoming affordability rules in the UK are leading to an over-enthusiastic early enforcement. Eg. Joe Beevers (bookie/The Hendon Mob/Betting Emporium) recently had his account closed co the docs he provided weren't enough to satisfy them.

Is it really as bad a they're making out in the UK? Presumably the affordability issue isn't one that'll concern Irish users (yet) but is the decline in liquidity really pronounced?

Cheers.
                                                            b.

PS... the reason I asked was I can't couldn't get PP/BF customer service to deal with me in any kind of professional, consistent way despite supplying docs as requested etc... seems to be severely under-resourced or simply just don't care. I dunno. Baffles me why they don't want a losing customer

Comment

Are they not throwing everything at the US markets and just keeping the lights on here? (just guessing, someone like GAB will actually know)

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                no mention of Seamus Begley on here, a legend of a musician gone at 73. He had some fantastic alliances over the years. I first saw him 25 or so years ago and was thankful to have seen him in the Round Room of Dublin Castle a couple of years back during Trad Fest.
                                                                I was reading a piece Cooney wrote about when he met him 1st and the basically had a duelling Banjoes match off with the Squeeze box and guitar. One trying to lead the other a merry dance and the mutual respect and friendship that grew from that. Read many tributes. Apparently a really funny guy and not someone you’d cross either. He’d playfully knock you into next week.
                                                                Paddy Casey and O’Rourke were exhalting him yesterday which I guess shows his cross generational appeal.

Comment

Begley was a kind of a bollix, the kind of bollix we should all aspire to be.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I tried Stars again for first time in months after they stopped taking Revolut Visa.
                                                                    I saw something on the new deposit methods allowing for Mastercard debit so tried new Revolut card with that.

After approx 15 mins, I was logged out and sent an email to submit all new KYC.
                                                                    They requested everything which I submitted and it was sorted within a few hours.

I followed up but I still haven’t been refunded the buy-ins. I’ve since deposited again and Revolut seems fine so perhaps happy to accept again.

Comment

Having a frustrating problem with PaddyPower. About 12 years ago, I tilt closed my stars account and closed my betfair account because I wasn't using it. Went onto PaddyPower to activate my account recently to play satellites and I've been banned because I closed the other accounts.

Their line is that because its a self exclusion and they now own stars and betfair, that I cannot play on PP either.

Anyone here still have any contacts that might be able to get it looked at cos support just shuts it down any time I've asked. Obviously if I knew closing those accounts would result in a ban on other platforms, I wouldn't have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                        Having a frustrating problem with PaddyPower. About 12 years ago, I tilt closed my stars account and closed my betfair account because I wasn't using it. Went onto PaddyPower to activate my account recently to play satellites and I've been banned because I closed the other accounts.

Their line is that because its a self exclusion and they now own stars and betfair, that I cannot play on PP either.

Anyone here still have any contacts that might be able to get it looked at cos support just shuts it down any time I've asked. Obviously if I knew closing those accounts would result in a ban on other platforms, I wouldn't have done it.
                                                                        Let us know how you get on as I'm similar.

Comment

Let us know how you get on as I'm similar.
                                                                          No joy so far from 3 separate agents. Their line is a closure of one results in a closure of all. Didn't know that at the time obviously so bit frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

No joy so far from 3 separate agents. Their line is a closure of one results in a closure of all. Didn't know that at the time obviously so bit frustrating
                                                                            I would either message on Twitter or use one of your poker contacts like Fintan or one of his staff to assist for example.
                                                                            The latter will almost certainly have a direct line to someone that can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I would either message on Twitter or use one of your poker contacts like Fintan or one of his staff to assist for example.
                                                                              I tried a couple of times but the line was 'you closed it and it can never be reopened, sorry'.

For me, it'd be for obscure BF markets.

Comment

Tried Fintan and someone who works for PP live events team and no joy so far.

Same line, closure of one results in closure of all

Comment

In a far more boring line of questioning - anyone know anything about sheds? Need to get something to keep the bikes in. Doesn't seem like there's any point cheaping out as there doesn't seem to be any bargain options anywhere, only marginally cheaper. [ this seems to be about as low as you go for price that'd take a few bikes - https://www.shedsdirectireland.com/p...den-bike-shed/ ]

Will be a back garden shed but if someone had done some research and found something reasonable that'd go in a front garden / be secure enough for the few bikes that'd be sound too.

Comment

Perhaps it’s a PP thing as I closed and reopened my Stars account between 2021 and 2022.

Confirmed fine to do: https://www.pokerstars.eu/help/artic...lock-restrict/

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                      In a far more boring line of questioning - anyone know anything about sheds? Need to get something to keep the bikes in. Doesn't seem like there's any point cheaping out as there doesn't seem to be any bargain options anywhere, only marginally cheaper. [ this seems to be about as low as you go for price that'd take a few bikes - https://www.shedsdirectireland.com/p...den-bike-shed/ ]

Will be a back garden shed but if someone had done some research and found something reasonable that'd go in a front garden / be secure enough for the few bikes that'd be sound too.
                                                                                      We got this as a wedding present. Very neat, sits parallel to garden wall facing the side of the house so doesn’t eat into the garden at all and takes up no space for side entrance. I can share a pic tomorrow

Comment

Picked up my first ever pair of prescription reading glasses today.

Tried them on to show my wife and kids and the 8 year old pointed out that I had some grey hairs.

Double whammy.

Road testing them on a Margaret Atwood tonight.

Comment

Perhaps it’s a PP thing as I closed and reopened my Stars account between 2021 and 2022.

Confirmed fine to do: https://www.pokerstars.eu/help/artic...lock-restrict/
                                                                                          My issue is that I went full gobshite and self excluded for some mad reason. I didn't just close the account to leave it dormant.

Anyway, damage done and lesson learned. No irish open satellites for me.

Their official line is "When you self exclude we protect you from all family brands: Betfair, PaddyPower, Pokerstars and SkyBet." Meh

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                            Picked up my first ever pair of prescription reading glasses today.

Tried them on to show my wife and kids and the 8 year old pointed out that I had some grey hairs.

Double whammy.

Road testing them on a Margaret Atwood tonight.
                                                                                            Long or shortsighted?
                                                                                            Are you the same in both eyes? Got laser eye treatment about 8 years ago, Had a medical for a job recently and the left eye is just slightly out of focus when reading the smallest line. Beginning of the end.
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Looks like 2016 again. Jeff Beck dead now .

Comment

A rather intensive week writing this, but am now an AI bro.
                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Saw The Weir tonight in The Abbey as part of the new year resolution to see a play a month. Think a fair few you have seen it. Oh my lord, maybe I'm just not used to plays, but that was a deeply brilliant play.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Long or shortsighted?
                                                                                                    Are you the same in both eyes? Got laser eye treatment about 8 years ago, Had a medical for a job recently and the left eye is just slightly out of focus when reading the smallest line. Beginning of the end.
                                                                                                    I'm not sure which is which. I struggle to read the small print.

Have no issues with far away things, no problem driving for instance. Is that long sighted then?

Both eyes the same.

Can you get laser again then to correct it?

Comment

scanned it, interesting - do you like that Brian Lucey lad? Don't know him in person but think such a whine bag on twitter/ on media. Still trying to figure out the impact of ChatGPT here, it might be the first to pass that bullshit test, unlike AI in general these days. will have a proper read tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

scanned it, interesting - do you like that Brian Lucey lad? Don't know him in person but think such a whine bag on twitter/ on media. Still trying to figure out the impact of ChatGPT here, it might be the first to pass that bullshit test, unlike AI in general these days. will have a proper read tomorrow.
                                                                                                        he gets a bit carried away about the russians on twitter. A twitter raoul.

I'm much more convinced about chatgpt after that research tbh. The big thing, right now, is not taking it on face value, but iterating it to proper answers - if you check out that appendix 1, that was me cajolling it start making sense as it really tends towards generalities if you don't force it to be specific.

Comment

Have a bit of luxury in my job that I can spend it just exploring new ideas. So planning to spend most of the next few months just going deep into the tech and seeing the applications. Its fascinating. It still has major weaknesses definitely, when you get even a bit below the surface, but already its a huge deal. When we get GPT-4 in a few months its probably going to be a revolution. At the moment its like an intern you need to coach, but GPT-4 could well be your boss. Saw a tweet a while ago saying 'if you're in a startup and aren't spending all your time thinking about the implications of ChatGPT, then I worry for you', which is excessive compared to current capabilities, but I wonder if its not too far off the truth. Its potentially a goldrush moment ala launch of the internet.

Comment

The Banshees. What a steaming pile of feckin donkey shite.

Comment

Have a bit of luxury in my job that I can spend it just exploring new ideas. So planning to spend most of the next few months just going deep into the tech and seeing the applications. Its fascinating. It still has major weaknesses definitely, when you get even a bit below the surface, but already its a huge deal. When we get GPT-4 in a few months its probably going to be a revolution. At the moment its like an intern you need to coach, but GPT-4 could well be your boss. Saw a tweet a while ago saying 'if you're in a startup and aren't spending all your time thinking about the implications of ChatGPT, then I worry for you', which is excessive compared to current capabilities, but I wonder if its not too far off the truth. Its potentially a goldrush moment ala launch of the internet.
                                                                                                              agree re potential. So far I have not seen Ai that is not 'programattic' - this might be or might be advanced programattic. lets see if it learns. there is definatately a commercial application into what you have already found re how to get the best from it. Its like the foreign student that arrives for the summer and nobody can have a proper chat with, until uncle jack gets home from the pub and is his usual self.

Comment

couldn't disagree more - i'd watch it again over the new Top Gun which I also loved

Comment

Hard disagree from me too. I loved it.

Stumbled upon it on Disney+ over Xmas, couldnt believe it was available to watch on it.

Barry Keoghan was superb in it I felt. That lake scene was some of the best acting I've ever seen.

Comment

Boooo. Zero Wombats for this post.

I'm looking forward to rewatching.

Comment

We got this as a wedding present. Very neat, sits parallel to garden wall facing the side of the house so doesn’t eat into the garden at all and takes up no space for side entrance. I can share a pic tomorrow
                                                                                                                      This should give you an idea of the scale. It was approx 2K all in after cement but worth the spend as that’s shelved out and never any sign of moisture inside.

Comment

Emmet I have a slightly larger garden shed from that company in Murdrum's post.

It's good build quality but can't speak for vfm as my mate used his staff discount in woodies before they put up prices. We got a proper deal at the time but not sure of what the vfm vs competitors now.

Prior to the shed being built (4-5 month backlog from covid) we had a small plastic mini shed for about €150 to store some tools and lawnmower. I wouldn't put a bike or anything valuable in one though. You could pop the lid/hinges by hand even with a lock on the doors.

Another option which might work is installing a bike rack on your wall/ceiling inside the gaff. Some of them can be folded but it's not necessarily for everyone. Takes up a little space and isn't quite the tidiest. Maybe not the safest setup for a house with small kids either.

Comment

I certainly didn't dislike Banshees, but it was definitely weird, so not 100% sure how I felt about it.

I won't go into any detail but the bit that repeatedly jarred was the continued use of the phrase 'no more', as in "I just don't like you no more", by multiple characters. It felt out of step with the natural flow of the language being used to me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X