This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Is it capped at 12 years? Regardless of salary? I was of the impression that the "first" redundancy was largely tax free.

Incidentally i was speaking to a friend/colleague lately and we were hopping ball about what if we we were offered redundancy.... it'd make a big difference if we were taxed or not!
    So far the places ive been to, it was capped at 12 years. There is also a cap of the tax free portion i believe, but i can't remember what it is. Also, some companies may decide to pay less than a month per year as that isn't the statutory rate. Ive seen lower payments than that.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

So far the places ive been to, it was capped at 12 years. There is also a cap of the tax free portion i believe, but i can't remember what it is. Also, some companies may decide to pay less than a month per year as that isn't the statutory rate. Ive seen lower payments than that.
      Yep, statutory here is 2 weeks i believe. Think most will offer the 4 weeks, have seen up to 6/7 weeks if they really want rid of you.

Edit to say i think we are capped at 26 years service... i.e. max 2 years salary payment as redundancy

Comment

I’ve seen 2 months per year before- you had to be useless to get it though
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Watched Tar today

Gripping biopic about the downfall of the conductor Lydia Tar. This is an almost voyeuristic look into the incredible world of classical music. Blanchett gives a sublime performance. The conversations are fascinating and it just leaves you wanting more. Superb.
          That was intense

Really enjoyed it, Blanchett is right on top of her game and lots of great music.
          I went to a performance of that Mahler piece just last year and have listened to it a few times since which added to the whole thing a bit

The Julliard scene was amazing, wonderful bit of commentary on cancel culture and Gen Z bolloxology asides for her going way to easy on him I thought they may have bottled it a bit...
          SPOILER

The choice of actor for the part and his nominal 'difference' being restless leg syndrome seemed a bit weak, then again maybe that was the point, and then there is how it fits into the overall narrative which mightn't have worked if they played it a bit more realistically.
          Her speech was class but having someone moronically dumb enough to try and cancel Bach because he was too gender normative... well, you'd need to trawl fairly deep into the dregs of twitter to find that kind of dumb

I thought the denouement might have been a bit OTT, probably from when she takes the literal fall onwards.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

That was intense

Really enjoyed it, Blanchett is right on top of her game and lots of great music.
            I went to a performance of that Mahler piece just last year and have listened to it a few times since which added to the whole thing a bit

The Julliard scene was amazing, wonderful bit of commentary on cancel culture and Gen Z bolloxology asides for her going way to easy on him I thought they may have bottled it a bit...
            SPOILER

The choice of actor for the part and his nominal 'difference' being restless leg syndrome seemed a bit weak, then again maybe that was the point, and then there is how it fits into the overall narrative which mightn't have worked if they played it a bit more realistically.
            Her speech was class but having someone moronically dumb enough to try and cancel Bach because he was too gender normative... well, you'd need to trawl fairly deep into the dregs of twitter to find that kind of dumb

I thought the denouement might have been a bit OTT, probably from when she takes the literal fall onwards.

it definitely made me want to listen to that piece.

SPOILER
            re the julliard scene. i loved it, and don't think it needed too much more tbh. in terms of casting, a black gay man with a nervous twitch seemed perfect. She's a guest teacher so can't really go batshit crazy, and made him look like an absolute dick in a very elegant way.

Re the end, i don't think they had a choice. from the moment she fell and felt "violence", things started to spiral out of control very quickly. she then got violent with the accordeon and her neighbours, she got violent in her house when her score was gone, and it had to explode, and kicking the shit out of her old friend and conductor live on stage was slightly overdramatic but i enjoyed it, and it enabled her to reset. Really enjoyable overall

Comment

They got their speaker at last

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                They got their speaker at last
                Got there in the 15th round.

It's certainly a pyhrric victory though as the MAGA loons have his balls in a vice for the next two years. You imagine he'll be asking himself 'was it worth it?' every day. And 'government' certainly won't be on their agenda. Expect plenty of sound and fury but little to no substance. Much like the Trump presidency.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Depends on what they actually want to do with their vice. I don’t know if there is enough brain power in the group to actually try to do anything except soap box and obstruct.

In Irish terms they are not Healy Rae senior but much more whichever one is the simple son who believes god manages the weather.

It will be hilarious for the next 2 years tho.

Comment

it definitely made me want to listen to that piece.

SPOILER
                    re the julliard scene. i loved it, and don't think it needed too much more tbh. in terms of casting, a black gay man with a nervous twitch seemed perfect. She's a guest teacher so can't really go batshit crazy, and made him look like an absolute dick in a very elegant way.

Re the end, i don't think they had a choice. from the moment she fell and felt "violence", things started to spiral out of control very quickly. she then got violent with the accordeon and her neighbours, she got violent in her house when her score was gone, and it had to explode, and kicking the shit out of her old friend and conductor live on stage was slightly overdramatic but i enjoyed it, and it enabled her to reset. Really enjoyable overall

This is a very good review of it

archived here

Comment

My Dad has tested positive for Covid again today. Second time since testing positive last June. His on/off girlfriend tested positive the day before him so looks like that's where it came from.

I was in with him Thursday night and drove him down to the village but am testing negative so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way as I've in-laws on an extended stay with us as the brother in laws mother died earlier in the week. Really do not want to get Covid/give it to them ahead of the funeral next week.

Also hoping this time round isn't as severe for the aul lad (He's had his 4th jab since June) as last time, he was in hospital for 10 days with it and it took him another good 10-14 days to snap out of the delirium he got after Covid. Had eventually got an appointment for a colonoscopy for him for Monday as well that I've now had to cancel.

Fun times!

Comment

Just back from the mountains.
                        WInd was ferocious so trialing my small camping stove huddled on the Lee side of some rocks was difficult but at least managed some warm noodles.

It's amazing how the feel of the landscape changes in the near dark and the city ablaze with light on the way back down was fantastic. Full moon out but no wolves!

Need a better winter hat. Head was frozen off me in that wind.

Looks relatively tame Tibradden and on towards Faerie Castle but it can be wild enough up there.

Over 60 push ups done and 40 squats so looking forward to some nosebag and my allowance of grog

Comment

Dupe deleted

Comment

Dupe deleted

Comment

Oh ffs

Comment

Tell us about the on/off girlfriend Lao. Always encouraged by tales of older gents sustaining a romantic life.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Tell us about the on/off girlfriend Lao. Always encouraged by tales of older gents sustaining a romantic life.
                                  Bleugh don't know where I am with my 'special lady friend' like I'm mad about her, but she seems to have too much on her plate. The only single woman in 'work' from Kazakhstan has certainly piqued my interest. At the least I might finally learn some RuZZian
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Are you self-identifying as an older straight gent now CC?

Comment

Well its a poker forum (was) so he's just playing a hand with more outs ( or INs).

Comment

Is Gursha on Poolbeg Street the go-to Ethiopian about town?
                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Been playing Abba far too much in the car trips recently. Those guys were top top top (no superfluous words). Checking out the videos tonight to catch a feel for what it felt like back then and I just can't get over how hot the chicks are, and chronically institutionally ugly the guys are. Like comically so. wtf.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                            It's the only one I think?

It's ok. Have had much better abroad though.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It's the only one I think?

It's ok. Have had much better abroad though.
                                              ah! was that not the new cuisine that everyone was delighted about over the last while, or maybe its a different one? Have had a bad Ethiopian in the past and it was fairly brutal, so wouldn't be a big fan of repeating that.

Comment

Pretty certain on the oldster part. Meh on the orientation.

Comment

What the fuck has Elon Musk done to twitter? I now wake up every day to Lazares tweets from yesterday!

Comment

You were reading the IT yesterday too? The review did sound great. It's basically veggie stews (not too spicy) plus bread for mopping up, if I remember correctly from having had it in SA many years ago.
                                                    Although if the food is shit, presumably you still get Ethiopian coffee which is a win in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                      What the fuck has Elon Musk done to twitter? I now wake up every day to Lazares tweets from yesterday!
                                                      The sunshine one was fitting then.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

ah! was that not the new cuisine that everyone was delighted about over the last while, or maybe its a different one? Have had a bad Ethiopian in the past and it was fairly brutal, so wouldn't be a big fan of repeating that.
                                                        It's definitely not bad.

I just wouldn't want someone to go there, be disappointed and then write off the entire cuisine.

Comment

Croatia for summer holidays this year (handily enough as they just adopted the Euro last week). Flying into Split, any tips on where to go after that?

Comment

You were reading the IT yesterday too? The review did sound great. It's basically veggie stews (not too spicy) plus bread for mopping up, if I remember correctly from having had it in SA many years ago.
                                                            Although if the food is shit, presumably you still get Ethiopian coffee which is a win in itself.

"two dudes who we later see in Mulligan’s pub next door. They apparently get quite a lot of trade from here."

Comment

Doing a free trial of the Blinkist book summary service for non-fiction books. Summaries a bit shorter than I would like but a good chance will subscribe.

Then again might just do the daily one for free every day.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                Doing a free trial of the Blinkist book summary service for non-fiction books. Summaries a bit shorter than I would like but a good chance will subscribe.

Then again might just do the daily one for free every day.

Hmm, first thing on the site is Robert Kiyosaki's Book Recommendations.

Comment

Croatia for summer holidays this year (handily enough as they just adopted the Euro last week). Flying into Split, any tips on where to go after that?
                                                                  just split

Comment

just split
                                                                    And nearby islands
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Couple of days in Split then do an Island hopping boat trip down to Dubrovnik and back. I've done it twice now and it's been ridic good.
                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Couple of days in Split then do an Island hopping boat trip down to Dubrovnik and back. I've done it twice now and it's been ridic good.
                                                                        You remember I have 3 kids? Best to keep the transportation to a bare minimum.

Thinking Vis, based on a friend raving about it. That for a week and then a few days in Split. Plus Split was on Somebody Feed Phil, so clearly awesome.

Comment

You remember I have 3 kids? Best to keep the transportation to a bare minimum.

Thinking Vis, based on a friend raving about it. That for a week and then a few days in Split. Plus Split was on Somebody Feed Phil, so clearly awesome.
                                                                          I have been well conned.
                                                                          Wife "suprised" the family with DisneyLand Paris next month staying in the Newport Hotel on site.
                                                                          I have somehow been duped into upgrading to Compass Club.

Anyone been? Is it any less hellish than I imagine?
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I have been well conned.
                                                                            Wife "suprised" the family with DisneyLand Paris next month staying in the Newport Hotel on site.

Probably my proudest boast as a parent (possibly my only one) is that every time the kids asked to go to Disneyland, I did a good impersonation of Ian Paisley.
                                                                            Never darkened the door, never will.

Comment

Comment

Since reading Ivo Andric's Bridge on the Drina last year (thumping good read, highly recommended ) I've a strong desire to visit Višegrad where it's set. Would make an interesting day trip from Split.

Flying in and out for a short trip would be an easy way for me to go but instead I've been expanding the idea first into a road trip from Lecco to Thessaloniki taking in Verona, Trieste, Pula, Split, Sarajeveo, Višegrad and Skopje on the way. And then because the practicalities are hard to work out, I'd like to do rail and bus but I'd be doing that on my own. Multi country and exiting EU car hire is hard to organise so now I'm thinking of cooking up a plan to go in with No1 Son and his bro in law to buy a camper van and base it in Italy, then I could make it a round trip taking a ferry from Greece to Bari.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Since reading Ivo Andric's Bridge on the Drina last year (thumping good read, highly recommended ) I've a strong desire to visit Višegrad where it's set. Would make an interesting day trip from Split.
                                                                                  You confused the hell out of me there for a minute as I wondered how the fuck you would get to Hungary on a day trip from Split. But a different Visegrad to the one I'm thinking of, i.e. the Visegrad 4.

Comment

Emmet was it you who bought an electric car imported from the UK through a 3rd party? Do they still operate?
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I have been well conned.

It is spectacular. You will adore it and the kids will have to drag you out of it. Newport is class, as it means you get to stay in the park after the day-trippers get kicked out and you get to run around and do everything. The breakfasts are the stuff of legend. Well worth booking any park meals in advance. Best by far is the Agrabah Café - all-you-can-eat Lebanese food, buffet style. Any of the buffet restaurants are class, in fairness.

Comment

just split
                                                                                        I add intended this as a class-double-meaning, I should now add, taking on board split's alternative meaning as to leave. Notes of praise on the back of postcards only pls.

Comment

We've an Athens trip for April. Are we mad to think we can find a few days wandering around Santorini interesting? Had heard that Athens itself has become shockingly rough over the years. Plus I still haven't got over the almost-audible boos we got from the kids in Rome this time last year, when I suggested to the kids we were going inside the Colosseum. Can't imagine the Parthenon will get a much better reception.

The summer trip is going to be a shocker - two fucking weeks in Florida. Sweating our way through packed theme parks while avoiding alligators and Republicans. Clearly not my idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                            Emmet was it you who bought an electric car imported from the UK through a 3rd party? Do they still operate?
                                                                                            Twas me, they're busto now as Brexit meant VAT needs to be paid on imports so the margin is gone. They were www.electricautos.ie and if the guy was up running again in any way shape or form I'd have no problem recommending him.
                                                                                            ​​​​​​
                                                                                            Brexit one of our big problems when it comes to cars on the island tbh. So few RHD countries and so markets being disjoint is a big big issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Twas me, they're busto now as Brexit meant VAT needs to be paid on imports so the margin is gone. They were www.electricautos.ie and if the guy was up running again in any way shape or form I'd have no problem recommending him.
                                                                                              ​​​​​​
                                                                                              Brexit one of our big problems when it comes to cars on the island tbh. So few RHD countries and so markets being disjoint is a big big issue here.
                                                                                              Ah it was moreso for someone at work was under the impression Brexit didn't affect elec car imports, and I was sure it did!!
                                                                                              Maybe not with vrt (still unsure about that) but defo for vat.

On the second point, motorbikes are the answer.

Wonder is there any change point with countries driving side. Japan? S.Korea?

To be fair, in Thailand I don't think anyone stuck to just one side of the road
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

coillcam; moar shenanigans in Brazil?

Comment

Colin Morikawa with an all time choke job in the PGA this weekend.
                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

It is spectacular. You will adore it and the kids will have to drag you out of it. Newport is class, as it means you get to stay in the park after the day-trippers get kicked out and you get to run around and do everything. The breakfasts are the stuff of legend. Well worth booking any park meals in advance. Best by far is the Agrabah Café - all-you-can-eat Lebanese food, buffet style. Any of the buffet restaurants are class, in fairness.
                                                                                                    worth the upgrade from standard to compass club?
                                                                                                    It's €45 ea. for breakfast per day without it!
                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

We've an Athens trip for April. Are we mad to think we can find a few days wandering around Santorini interesting? Had heard that Athens itself has become shockingly rough over the years. Plus I still haven't got over the almost-audible boos we got from the kids in Rome this time last year, when I suggested to the kids we were going inside the Colosseum. Can't imagine the Parthenon will get a much better reception.

The summer trip is going to be a shocker - two fucking weeks in Florida. Sweating our way through packed theme parks while avoiding alligators and Republicans. Clearly not my idea.
                                                                                                      We dragged the kids up the Acropolis in 33 degree heat in July. Didn't go down too well with the daughter! Only spent the day in Athens but it seemed nice. Santorini is fine...tourist hell in the summer, maybe not so bad in April. You might knock a few days out of it.

Comment

I thought Clanbrassil was always highly rated (esp here). I went there with a group for a tasting menu recently and it wasn't great. Miles behind Mr Fox. Not holding up after changing staff?

Comment

coillcam; moar shenanigans in Brazil?
                                                                                                          I watched the globo live news stream last night for a couple of hours. They're already investigating all the enablers in the police/local district as they were essentially paraded through the city. I believe the local governor is suspended for 90 days and they've arrested a few hundred of the "patriots". The buses and transport used are already being scrutinized to see if there's a money trail. Probably more happening in the background. Lula was in a regional part of Sao Paulo state that's been flooded while all this shit went down. He had to cut the visit short and return to Brasilia. He was borderline apoplectic speaking off the cuff after his initial decree and statement denouncing it. Whatever I thought for him playing the long game, the gloves are off now. I hope it doesn't divert too much attention away from actual progress and social issues (like the flooding in SP). The buildings of congress, supreme court and presidential offices are currently in ribbons.

Bols'n'arsehole put out a meek tweet stating that protests/demonstrations (peaceful) are part of democracy but but but the left did the same in 2013/2017 also. The 2013 protests were actually against the left-wing government of the time for the cost of living, public transport fare increases, police brutality and more. The 2017 strike came from trade unions against a backdrop of political instability from the operation car wash fallout - again with a sitting leftist government. It was a protest against labour/pension reforms and eliminating progressive social policies scheme such as free medicine for disadvantaged people.

Neo-fascist hooligans who won't accept the democratic process while calling for a military coup are not comparable to all sides of society protesting actual social devastation. There's literally nothing in common.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                            Hah, Theresa loves a good bottle job! I switched it off early as he was cruising and it was boring. Bad back 9 but the rest of the 63 holes were as good as he's been since The Open win. If this doesn't mentally set him back to much, he's set up for a decent season and putting was largely tranformed. Rahm the form #1 though and that course should really shouldn't be a Par 73.

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

We dragged the kids up the Acropolis in 33 degree heat in July. Didn't go down too well with the daughter! Only spent the day in Athens but it seemed nice. Santorini is fine...tourist hell in the summer, maybe not so bad in April. You might knock a few days out of it.
                                                                                                            +1 for Santorini, go early in the season and avoid the queues. Oia is still busy regardless but I couldn't imagine dealing with it in peak season.

Comment

It was glorious from a punting standpoint

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Hah, Theresa loves a good bottle job! I switched it off early as he was cruising and it was boring. Bad back 9 but the rest of the 63 holes were as good as he's been since The Open win. If this doesn't mentally set him back to much, he's set up for a decent season and putting was largely tranformed. Rahm the form #1 though and that course should really shouldn't be a Par 73.
                                                                                                                You don’t think he choked?
                                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

You don’t think he choked?
                                                                                                                  He definitely succumbed to Rahm thundering up the scoreboard.

Comment

worth the upgrade from standard to compass club?
                                                                                                                    It's €45 ea. for breakfast per day without it!
                                                                                                                    Not sure what Compass club is, but you definitely want the breakfast!

Comment

He sounds like a hoot. Love the classic 'my kids nearly died' joking. You just don't see it enough anymore.

She said he was always playing jokes on people in the office by taking their phones and texting their ex-girlfriends saying they still loved them.

She also told how he was always joking on social media and in one situation when his back shed went on fire, he had all the
                                                                                                                      family worried by pretending his house burnt down and he had to pull his kids from the flames.

Comment

He sounds like a hoot. Love the classic 'my kids nearly died' joking. You just don't see it enough anymore.

I'm a bit more by the fact that this guy, who was a fugitive from a murder charge, was out and about happily playing a football match in December. Well, not so happily obviously given the whole dying bit but still...

Comment

I see the clock is running on Noma for you fans of fine dining. You have until the the end of 2024...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X