Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the drinking thing, the last few years my drinking has totally collapsed. Once a year I try to get away with the missus for a weekend and aside from that weekend I'd rarely drink at all. I've never been one for drinking at home, and over Christmas I'd have a few, but still relatively little compared to years ago. I could easily go a couple of months without having a drink these days, and that it not e trying to not drink, it just happens that way. Representative of my social life these days too really, plus I haven't been at work outside of home for close to 3 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
      oleras Lazare Thanks for the help the other day.

Went for this https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecue...gid=40#start=1

So impressed by the build and size of it. Really is pretty to look at. 3 Pain staking but Satisfying hours putting it together on Saturday night.
      Spend the extra few hundred quid on this model for the closed front, extra burner under the grill and side burner.

Any reccs for tools,recipes or rubs send them my way. Committed to giving it a right spin no matter the weather.
      Raoul Duke III Got this Earlier in the year in The Orchard in Celbridge. One of my better decisions in 2022. Fantastic grill. Low upkeep.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
        I don't understand what's happening here, and while I don't really care I'm still somewhat curious. I have heard the names of the Taleb and Fridman lads, but know pretty little about them. I'm assuming opposite ideological stances, but don't know which is which. Why is someone upset about a list of fairly normal looking books?
        Last edited by 6starpool; 03-01-23, 10:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

It's defeatist to think about the only real viable solution we have? That's crazy. There was a time in Ireland when the population voted against divorce! Three times! It's defeatest to think that Irish people are so stupid they can't update their opinion under changing circumstances - and it would be in keeping with the rest of the world.

https://www.energymonitor.ai/policy/...uclear-energy/

C'mon Hitch...We need our bright young educators helping to spread the word!
          I mentioned before about Sarah Cullen who I thought was fantastic during that Climate Change talk I attended. Her push is nuclear and on the face of it, it seems very hard to argue.

She highlighted Poland as a country which is moving away from coal with many plants being replaced by nuclear, upwards of 100+ if I recall but I don’t think the transferable skillsets exist here nor is there an industry that is facing the same economic pressure to make the change.

More importantly though, when the question was put to the room regarding reservations about nuclear, I’d ballpark 80-90% raised their hands.

Given the amount of time required to actually build the necessary facilities, train the personnel and whatever else is required, it seems to me that technical requirements alongside the emotional hurdles you’d have to overcome, it seems so far away from being a reality.

Of course, they can run concurrently and I don’t think we shouldn’t try but I did come away thinking it might not be a realistic option for Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I don't understand what's happening here, and while I don't really care I'm still somewhat curious. I have heard the names of the Taleb and Fridman lads, but know pretty little about them. I'm assuming opposite ideological stances, but don't know which is which. Why is someone upset about a list of fairly normal looking books?
            I read the thread yesterday and thought this can’t possibly just be about Taleb being aggrieved at Fridman’s picks not being high-brow enough for him but apparently it’s actually as pathetic as it appears.

Comment

On the drinking thing, the last few years my drinking has totally collapsed. Once a year I try to get away with the missus for a weekend and aside from that weekend I'd rarely drink at all. I've never been one for drinking at home, and over Christmas I'd have a few, but still relatively little compared to years ago. I could easily go a couple of months without having a drink these days, and that it not e trying to not drink, it just happens that way. Representative of my social life these days too really, plus I haven't been at work outside of home for close to 3 years now.
              Its a massive thing. Was wandering around town a few weeks ago on my tod and thinking: oh look at me wandering around the big city. Its an event now to go outside. So the opportunities for casual drinking are significantly reduced.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

As part of an effort to be (even more, if possible) cultured, have resolved to go to one play a month this year. Up from about one play a year in prior years. The plays for the first three months are:

The Weir in The Abbey in Jan
                Piaf in The Gate in Feb
                Hangmen in The Gaiety in Mar

To be honest, they all look brutally serious. Preparing for serious disappointment. The plays in BordGais look class, but all seem to cost a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  As part of an effort to be (even more, if possible) cultured, have resolved to go to one play a month this year. Up from about one play a year in prior years. The plays for the first three months are:

The Weir in The Abbey in Jan
                  Piaf in The Gate in Feb
                  Hangmen in The Gaiety in Mar

To be honest, they all look brutally serious. Preparing for serious disappointment. The plays in BordGais look class, but all seem to cost a fortune.
                  Hangman should be comic enough in an Bruges/Banshees way as written by whatsisface.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Hangman should be comic enough in an Bruges/Banshees way as written by whatsisface.
                    ah cool. The poster did look the best! The Weir looks painfully serious.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Piaf will be cabaret style (sending Mrs D3 and Child #1 there on Saturday so will await their review).
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I only know a little more on this topic but the jist would be that Taleb is an extremely arrogant person at best. His way/belief or you are a moron essentially. He blocks anyone on twitter with hint of dissent or argument that could be gotcha or undermine his position.

Lex made the challenge to read these books as something to better himself. No big deal really tbf and fair play to him if he reads half of the list. Taleb thinks it's a massive waste of time because (all) books need to be dissected, digested and reflected upon. Otherwise you take nothing from the process.

I don't have too much of an opinion eitherway but I got a big laugh out of the Peterson burn.

EDIT: I re-read some of the thread above from Taleb and he's questioned Lex's credentials in the first comment underneath it. Essentially "Who the fuck is this guy? - A research scientist and does he even work for MIT at all?" It's all a bit I'm up here, the rest of you plebs please just run along now and stop wasting oxygen.
                        Last edited by coillcam; 03-01-23, 12:33.

Comment

It's pseudo intellectual or at least virtue signaling to read a book a week. Turns it into a box ticking exercise.

He's savaging Lex for being a charlatan.

Comment

"You can afford to be compassionate, lax, and courteous if, once in a while, when it is least expected of you, but completely justified, you sue someone, or savage an enemy, just to show that you can walk the walk." Nassim Nicholas Taleb, The Black Swan

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I mentioned before about Sarah Cullen who I thought was fantastic during that Climate Change talk I attended. Her push is nuclear and on the face of it, it seems very hard to argue.

She highlighted Poland as a country which is moving away from coal with many plants being replaced by nuclear, upwards of 100+ if I recall but I don’t think the transferable skillsets exist here nor is there an industry that is facing the same economic pressure to make the change.

More importantly though, when the question was put to the room regarding reservations about nuclear, I’d ballpark 80-90% raised their hands.

Given the amount of time required to actually build the necessary facilities, train the personnel and whatever else is required, it seems to me that technical requirements alongside the emotional hurdles you’d have to overcome, it seems so far away from being a reality.

Of course, they can run concurrently and I don’t think we shouldn’t try but I did come away thinking it might not be a realistic option for Ireland.

Comment

This is just one of the replies:

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It's pseudo intellectual or at least virtue signaling to read a book a week. Turns it into a box ticking exercise.

Is it pseudo-intellectual/virtue signalling/box-ticking if he committed to consuming X number of classic TV series or movies a week? Or if he did yoga/20k steps every day? Then podcasting a few reviews or takes afterwards, I don't see it that clearly but then I'd be close to making the opposite of that argument on blindboy and I don't think I need to mention Joe Rogan.

Reading a book a week doesn't equate to pseudo-intellectualism unless the reader is artificially positioning themselves as some literary savant or subject matter expert. Tbf you probably know way more about Lex than me and how he's positioned himself over time.

I went on twitter for about 10 minutes reading some of this and then some Graham Linehan stuff hit my timeline. Curiosity got the better of me and then I noped the fuck out of chrome. Too much internet for coillcam today.

Comment

The cheek of him stealing one of Hitchhikers moves
                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

@Hitch, both The Weir and Hangmen have a lot of humour in them as every Martin McDonagh work does. And they're both very enjoyable too.

The Neil Gaiman based play The Ocean at the End of the Lane looks like it will be worth going to at the Bord Gais at the end of March.

Comment

The-Davina Mccall book on menepausing is really good .

I'll be back later with more book suggestions to boost your nous .

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Is it pseudo-intellectual/virtue signalling/box-ticking if he committed to consuming X number of classic TV series or movies a week? Or if he did yoga/20k steps every day? Then podcasting a few reviews or takes afterwards, I don't see it that clearly but then I'd be close to making the opposite of that argument on blindboy and I don't think I need to mention Joe Rogan.

Reading a book a week doesn't equate to pseudo-intellectualism unless the reader is artificially positioning themselves as some literary savant or subject matter expert. Tbf you probably know way more about Lex than me and how he's positioned himself over time.

I went on twitter for about 10 minutes reading some of this and then some Graham Linehan stuff hit my timeline. Curiosity got the better of me and then I noped the fuck out of chrome. Too much internet for coillcam today.
                                          There's different levels of reading. Skimming a newspaper for entertainment, vs people who might spend hours on a single passage of the Talmud.

Meditations is on the list. Someone could probably read that in a few hours. But they would get little of the value. A book a week suggests the goal is to tick off the books, rather than actually consuming them.

No more than you would prepare for an exam by doing a single read through of lecture notes. Or watch the top 100 movies on IMDb on 2x speed.

Comment

This is just one of the replies:

Murdrum just Taleb'd Denny. A shocking indicator of how 2023 is going to turn out.

Comment

There's different levels of reading. Skimming a newspaper for entertainment, vs people who might spend hours on a single passage of the Talmud.

Meditations is on the list. Someone could probably read that in a few hours. But they would get little of the value. A book a week suggests the goal is to tick off the books, rather than actually consuming them.

No more than you would prepare for an exam by doing a single read through of lecture notes. Or watch the top 100 movies on IMDb on 2x speed.
                                              A book a week isn't too much, is it? 300 pages on average, 50 pages a day. Feel that's not that much of a stretch?

Comment

Normally publish about four research papers a year. 2023 is the first year in about seven years I've no papers 'in the bag' - accepted in the previous year, but due for actual publication in the current year. Going to be a bit of a push to get the year concluding in successful fashion.

Comment

I've 1.5 in the 2023 bank. Quite a poor return from my senior PhD students meaning only about 2 in the pipeline too. Usually get on a couple by doing a small amount of work for someone else....I try for around 6 a year overall. Think I posted before but it got deleted, but one of the grants I got means I've got several training days on 'evidence based entrepreneurship' and other things I don't give a flying flute about. Do they not realise that many academics could just go elsewhere and earn 2x if that was what they cared about?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                    I'd have a similar take on him/that stuff to CCollies take, That Glinner isnt exactly wrong on lots of his points, but my god the way he goes about hounding people over it is over the top a lot of the time.
                                                    Wouldn't be far off classing him as on the spectrum / having a mental breakdown, but to be fair the vast majority of the comebacks against him just seem to be "lol your wife left you".

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Most copious readers I know have problems with knowledge retention and application from their readings. Some can't tell you a single thing about book they read a year ago, not even the proper title or authors name.

This turns reading into an enjoyable pass time with as much merit as binge watching Netflix or playing Madden. Thankfully you don't get the same amount of wankery attached to these pursuits.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I assume we’ll be moving on to our Poker goals for 2023 any minute now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                          Most copious readers I know have problems with knowledge retention and application from their readings. Some can't tell you a single thing about book they read a year ago, not even the proper title or authors name.

This turns reading into an enjoyable pass time with as much merit as binge watching Netflix or playing Madden. Thankfully you don't get the same amount of wankery attached to these pursuits.
                                                          Not really sure there are many nonfiction books that you would want to take more than two or three points from, so why would you waste your time remembering the peripheral stuff. E.g. am reading a book at the moment on how to write nonfiction - key points from the first 100 pages: keep cutting cutting cutting superfluous words, think about the one thing you want the reader to remember from each chapter, have a strong opener.

There's loads more content, but thats just what you consider while you are reading as your mind wanders to thinking about what the book means to your context, its not for remembering. Its that opportunity for your mind to wander and to apply the reading to yourself that is the most valuable aspect of reading nonfiction. No-one should be reading with a view to subsequently being interrogated in the big black chair by MasterWombatMind

Comment

well thats cool

Comment

key points from the first 100 pages: keep cutting cutting cutting superfluous words, think about the one thing you want the reader to remember from each chapter, have a strong opener.
                                                              FYP

Comment

Same as last year. One modest goal, qualify for the Irish Open.

I didn't get there last year but qualified for the IPO main, Mystery Bounty at the IPO, Killarney festival main and ended the year in Vegas playing a 10k event and chopped my last game of the year for 1k each in the Bonnington so can't complain really. Won a shed load of tickets for online games too so was worth the time invested in reading Dokes book a few times.

I only started doing any kind of learning about the game last April and pretty much only played satellites online, preferring to play a few times a month in the bonnington so the goals will remain modest for the time being.

Comment

Who cares, you have no free will, you are just an instrument of situations without the awareness to let them play you properly while blowing toward whatever random thought pops into your head from moment to moment which arise entirely without any conscious control that you may believe exists

Comment

My poker goals are to play 10x as many hands in 2023 compared to 2022.

What's 10 x 0 again?

Comment

I played about 110k hands of cash since taking it up again around May.....up to just over €900 from my initial €25. Savage hourly rate! Enjoying the solver era from a study/theory point of view. Would like to play live tournaments occasionally but I don't have the commitment to learn push/fold/call ranges for all the different depths from the different positions, as well as all the ICM stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Outside of the Dublin metro area, I doubt we see any meaningful change in transport modes. People will continue to drive everywhere in fossil fuel burners.
                                                                        And the local gombeen politicos will fully cater to this.
                                                                        Of course they will, apart from upgrading to hybrid, electric, but that will take time to play through. People outside of cities don't have any choice, public transport is woeful.

I sometimes feel city dwellers, especially those in Dublin, don't grasp this. You have an unreal structure, comparatively speaking. Buses, Luas, Dart, plenty of taxis (again comparatively speaking) all available at all times of the day/night, with Metro to come.

We have buses, that might come to within 10 miles of your doorstep if you are lucky.

Any Eamon Ryan's great solution was to carshare

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                          Who cares, you have no free will, you are just an instrument of situations without the awareness to let them play you properly while blowing toward whatever random thought pops into your head from moment to moment which arise entirely without any conscious control that you may believe exists

That's my response to pretty much everything these days.
                                                                          Attention span of a....hey look!..a dog with a fluffy tail!!
                                                                          Last edited by dinekes; 03-01-23, 18:49.

Comment

Stuck the head out the door to see if I could catch a glimpse of the Mars/Moon conjunction.
                                                                            ME: (shaking fist heavenward) " goddamn x#####&# clouds"
                                                                            Curtain twitchers "better call 911, he's definitely lost it this time"

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                              I played about 110k hands of cash since taking it up again around May.....up to just over €900 from my initial €25. Savage hourly rate! Enjoying the solver era from a study/theory point of view. Would like to play live tournaments occasionally but I don't have the commitment to learn push/fold/call ranges for all the different depths from the different positions, as well as all the ICM stuff.
                                                                              I found playing was a far better way to learn those ranges. I did read dokes ICM book and have a push/fold chart saved on my phone but learning while playing was definitely better for me at this early stage.

5 nights of affordable buy ins in the bonnington so surely something for you to jump into once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Any Eamon Ryan's great solution was to carshare
                                                                                Carsharing is a great idea. Works wonders in France, which has all the same rural areas. Bla bla Cars - type any single route in there and you'll find a lift. We seem to assume these people are idiots - they have teams of policy makers looking to see what works elsewhere and trying to work out the best way to implement it here, he's not just speaking off the top of his head. Same with his wolves idea and same with the opposition to cruise ships and how it would be great to have micro-plots of salad on the windowsill. These are ideas that have worked elsewhere. He's a smart guy. Actually most of the current crop of politicians seem to be rather smart, which is quite a change from past generations.

Comment

Actually most of the current crop of politicians seem to be rather smart, which is quite a change from past generations.
                                                                                  thumb_luke_ming_flanagan___youtube_2.jpg

Comment

Carsharing is a great idea. Works wonders in France, which has all the same rural areas. Bla bla Cars - type any single route in there and you'll find a lift. We seem to assume these people are idiots - they have teams of policy makers looking to see what works elsewhere and trying to work out the best way to implement it here, he's not just speaking off the top of his head. Same with his wolves idea and same with the opposition to cruise ships and how it would be great to have micro-plots of salad on the windowsill. These are ideas that have worked elsewhere. He's a smart guy. Actually most of the current crop of politicians seem to be rather smart, which is quite a change from past generations.
                                                                                    Love the idea of wolves in the ecosystem They were reintroduced to Yellowstone Park a while back (20 years?) and transformed it for the better in so many ways even affecting the course of rivers (beavers returning to the ecosystem) ...think Laz posted a link to it a while back

​​​​​​I enjoyed Shaun Ellis's book "The man who lived with wolves"
                                                                                    Beautiful animals, intelligent and well organised from the Alpha (makes the decisions) through to Beta (enforcer) and through to a peacemaker for dispute resolution

Deer population getting out of hand here too.

Edit And the annoying kids population for that matter
                                                                                    Last edited by dinekes; 03-01-23, 19:49.

Comment

Idealistically it's a great idea but for the most part unworkable for most people. Even if two people from the same area who then work in the same area, they are unlikely to start and finish at the same time. They will have errands to run before or after, kids to collect etc. Idealistically good, practically bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

About 95% of the thoughts you had today, you also had yesterday.
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

About 95% of the thoughts you had today, you also had yesterday.
                                                                                          Beards are the last refuge of the balding.

Comment

Solid entertainment going on in Congress right now.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I found playing was a far better way to learn those ranges. I did read dokes ICM book and have a push/fold chart saved on my phone but learning while playing was definitely better for me at this early stage.

5 nights of affordable buy ins in the bonnington so surely something for you to jump into once in a while.
                                                                                              Yea would like to go more but I'm a creature of the day so the late finishes put me off. I played there once on a Saturday afternoon and there was a bit of grimness about it.

Comment

Scenes in the darts. Van Gerwen misses D12 for a 9darter. Smith steps up and takes out 141 for a 9darter of his own.

Comment

Yea would like to go more but I'm a creature of the day so the late finishes put me off. I played there once on a Saturday afternoon and there was a bit of grimness about it.
                                                                                                  Felt there was a good vibe to that Sunday tournie there. The one starting at 4pm. Nice mix of people.

Comment

I've only played that Saturday game once I think. Maybe twice. The one I play every week is the Friday night. 70 quid in, 50k stack and 15min clock so it trucks along nicely. Finished around 2am so not too late for a Friday. And you'll definitely learn your push/fold ranges in such a structure!!

I think Brian and the lads have done a great job with the club, given its location and general grimness of the hotel. After being apprehensive initially, I actually enjoy the friendly vibe in there that they've created.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                      Solid entertainment going on in Congress right now.
                                                                                                      The Republicans are an absolute shambles. Can't get their sole candidate for Speaker confirmed, three consecutive votes lost as their lunatic fringe votes against their own man.

Wildly unprecedented madness that just confirms the GOP has zero interest in governing.

Comment

Idealistically it's a great idea but for the most part unworkable for most people. Even if two people from the same area who then work in the same area, they are unlikely to start and finish at the same time. They will have errands to run before or after, kids to collect etc. Idealistically good, practically bad.
                                                                                                        Exact same as France. The way they make it work through is that you are allowed to charge a small amount to cover costs and its non-taxable. Sorts out loads of extra people. They've about 70m passengers a year. Won't sort out everyone obv, but, does solve a definite need. Car journeys are rather predictable. Most trips from a village are to the nearest town etc etc.

Comment

A book a week isn't too much, is it? 300 pages on average, 50 pages a day. Feel that's not that much of a stretch?
                                                                                                          It's not a lot at all, I read a book yesterday, I think the other 6 days would be enough to reflect haha. We only have a certain amount of years to live, what are people only going to read 100 books for the rest of their life? my brother reads that many a year, conversations with him are amazing with insights and thoughts just from the books he's read.

Comment

Exact same as France. The way they make it work through is that you are allowed to charge a small amount to cover costs and its non-taxable. Sorts out loads of extra people. They've about 70m passengers a year. Won't sort out everyone obv, but, does solve a definite need. Car journeys are rather predictable. Most trips from a village are to the nearest town etc etc.
                                                                                                            Maybe it works well in France but it wouldn't work well in rural Ireland IMO. People work all over the place, starting at different times, with different things to do pre/post work. It's a simplistic notion to say most trips are to the next town etc. Take it from someone who has lived and done it for 30+ years.

Comment

Actually most of the current crop of politicians seem to be rather smart, which is quite a change from past generations.
                                                                                                              I strongly agree with that especially when you see the UK with Boris & Truss
                                                                                                              & omg Trump? with 300 million to choose from!

Can't be having Ryan though,
                                                                                                              rented a house from us in Ranelagh
                                                                                                              and the kids ran free, pooping on floors etc.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Bla bla is absolutely brilliant. Used it 6 times when on holiday in France and Spain. Unbelievably cheap and so easy to use and organize. No reason why it wouldn't work as well over here. Interesting backstory to how the company began and how it went on to become one of the most successful companies in France.

Comment

Scenes in the darts. Van Gerwen misses D12 for a 9darter. Smith steps up and takes out 141 for a 9darter of his own.
                                                                                                                  What a match!

Comment

Maybe it works well in France but it wouldn't work well in rural Ireland IMO. People work all over the place, starting at different times, with different things to do pre/post work. It's a simplistic notion to say most trips are to the next town etc. Take it from someone who has lived and done it for 30+ years.
                                                                                                                    Why do you think rural France is any different to rural Ireland?! Rural France is probably even more isolated and one-off compared to Ireland. Of course it would work for loads of trips where the only option is self-driving. Not every trip, but a decent chunk of them. Plus - its the only real option that would work in underpopulated areas - sure there can be a minibus or two a day, but there's hundreds of cars on the same route all day every day with three spare seats. It was also how people used to get around once they became too old to drive, so its not really a new idea, just that we now have the tech to widen out the net of available rides from neighbours and friends to everyone in an area.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Range, schmange, just do it the old fashioned way. Call if they are a young pup always at it, raise when you're sick of being bullied. Yes, you'll lose most of the time, but you'll show them pups what's for now and then!

Comment

Range, schmange, just do it the old fashioned way. Call if they are a young pup always at it, raise when you're sick of being bullied. Yes, you'll lose most of the time, but you'll show them pups what's for now and then!
                                                                                                                        I got the results of a DB review yesterday.

Overall advice is pretty close to this, attack the pups more and don’t be bullied

Comment

Nobody actually thinks we're going to get rid of cars entirely. Activists don't negotiate from the middle.
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X