X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

You're still shipping off to Switz?
    yep absolutely. got to get this surgery done first and foremost. hopefully jan or feb at the latest. Then, get fit again and start looking for work in Geneva (conscious this could take a while so will start early round april), and then the full move should be in the summer

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

yep absolutely. got to get this surgery done first and foremost. hopefully jan or feb at the latest. Then, get fit again and start looking for work in Geneva (conscious this could take a while so will start early round april), and then the full move should be in the summer
      I don't know much about Switzerland.

But their flag is a big plus.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Your shitty puns are definitely adding up in the last few days

Comment

Super hike up Slieve Donard today . Cold at the top but balmy everwhere else . Lots of Nordies bidding the Southerner a Happy New Year. No idea if the supported the cause or not so returned the greeting. Feel somewhat dirty

Comment

2023 better be better than 2022 (hard to think how it could be worse tbh). what an absolute bitch of a year. Anyway lots to look forward to this year, so onwards and upwards!

biggest challenge this year is going to be weight loss. got a good 20kg to lose at least so going to have to take it seriously
            Hon Shrap. Forwards, always forwards. Rooting for ya.
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Shitty puns you say.....

A thesaurus is great...there's no other word for it
              You know who gives kids a bad name...Posh and Beck's

Crime in multi story car parks....wrong on so many levels

Comment

No 1 son started working (FH in Italy) for a Swiss company and was up in Zurich with them the day that they were playing in the World Cup QF went to the hotel bar and then out into the city and it took half an hour strolling around to find any sign that there was a match on.
                Very strange society.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

No 1 son started working (FH in Italy) for a Swiss company and was up in Zurich with them the day that they were playing in the World Cup QF went to the hotel bar and then out into the city and it took half an hour strolling around to find any sign that there was a match on.
                  Very strange society.
                  Not to diss Shraaaaap's soon to be adopted homeland but they are a bunch of uptight, prissy, humourless weirdos.

Comment

Not to diss Shraaaaap's soon to be adopted homeland but they are a bunch of uptight, prissy, humourless weirdos.

Hereditary guilt?

Comment

Nice pic from midway . Plus a summit optical illusion of me carrying a cross
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Last edited by Solksjaer!; 01-01-23, 19:41.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1729163&d=1672601977&type=thumb

Comment

shrapnel Shantaram cancelled by apple after 12 eps.
                          Worth a watch or insta delete from watch list?
                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                            Give it a whirl and let me know what you think about your mans accent.

I'd recommend Tulsa King if you are looking for something. I'm a big Sly fan in general tbh, but I think he's absolutely excellent in this. Very enjoyable watching. You might catch Herc from The Wire too.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                              How many alcohol units would your rank and file BBV reader drink a week? I'm probably 20-30 most weeks, with the average being on the upper end, rarely more than 8 at a time. Still reckon that's enough to negatively impact day-to-day running (a small amount) but reckon I'd find it difficult to cut down significantly.
                              Imagine being the miserable fucker that starts this conversation on NYE when everyone is already thinking it in the back of their mind after 2 weeks of excess...
                              I only drink at parties etc, and not that much - 1 or 2 drinks, and often none, though had a good bit yesterday. Maybe drunk twice a year? Have had to ask people to stop giving me gin, it just piles up. Few last night were on alcohol free G&T's. GF never drinks, most my family never drink, hear younger generation don't drink as much now? Good few friends would have cans at home all the time still though.
                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-01-23, 21:19.

Comment

The first half closely follows the book and is great. It then veers off in a new direction which is ok once you've got past the disappointment of the change. I still enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't bother if season 2 is cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

The first half closely follows the book and is great. It then veers off in a new direction which is ok once you've got past the disappointment of the change. I still enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't bother if season 2 is cancelled.
                                  Found the accent grating, I thought at first it must have been dubbed it was so bad. I felt after a couple of episodes that the book would be a good read and I was spoiling it by continuing but I did keep watching. Knowing it was a book I was a bit pissed off by the TBC ending. Obviously they messed up by veering from the book and should have left it as a one off series.

Will be interested to read the book someday.

Comment

I hadn't watched anything at all from the Star Wars universe since Return of the Jedi was on pirated VHS forty years ago but a few episodes in I'm enjoying Andor.

Comment

Also on TV, Slow Horses S02 is every bit as high quality as S01
                                      The Bear is OK but nowhere close to being as as good as the hype would have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        Also on TV, Slow Horses S02 is every bit as high quality as S01
                                        The Bear is OK but nowhere close to being as as good as the hype would have it.
                                        Couldn't get behind episode 3 of the first season of Slow Horses last week after the recommendations. Similar to Treason that's just come out on Netflix. There's something about spy things that they turn into ridiculous muck fairly quickly.

Are all spy novels like that?

On Zurich, a friend of mine who lived there for a year says it was the most boring city in the world. I think he also said his costs were 80k before he left the house.

Comment

Bizarre scenes in the darts tonight with Price putting on ear muffs to block out the crowd noise.

Comment

Taleb quietly ignoring numerous invitations to Lexs podcast for years and years then absolutely losing it over Lex's new year's resolutions is amazing

Comment

grating was the exact word I used for yer mans accent in Shantaram. It's shocking. Its like he listened to aussies say one thing with an end of sentence inflection and assumed it was every fucking sentence. Its comically bad, and legit made the show unwatchable for me. 21 mins and 14 seconds. Off with her head.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I'd recommend Tulsa King if you are looking for something. I'm a big Sly fan in general tbh, but I think he's absolutely excellent in this. Very enjoyable watching. You might catch Herc from The Wire too.
                                                Tulsa King looks phenomenal!

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

wowsers, that was even better than my inflated expectations. Go Sly!

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                    Taleb quietly ignoring numerous invitations to Lexs podcast for years and years then absolutely losing it over Lex's new year's resolutions is amazing
                                                    daniel negreanu being collateral damage just added to it

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                      On Zurich, a friend of mine who lived there for a year says it was the most boring city in the world. I think he also said his costs were 80k before he left the house.
                                                      A friend of mine lived in Basle and got reported to the police, by his neighbour, for flushing his toilet after 11pm.

Says it all really. And every adult male keeps an assault rifle at home too.

Comment

A friend of mine lived in Basle and got reported to the police, by his neighbour, for flushing his toilet after 11pm.

Says it all really. And every adult male keeps an assault rifle at home too.
                                                        True. You can’t urinate standing after 10pm also.
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Couldn't get behind episode 3 of the first season of Slow Horses last week after the recommendations. Similar to Treason that's just come out on Netflix. There's something about spy things that they turn into ridiculous muck fairly quickly.
                                                          Are you up to date with gold rush?
                                                          Wonder if Rick is ok or just taking a break mentally/financially? Even tho they are well paid per ep, mining is expensive if it goes wrong!
                                                          I can't take the veterans crew seriously at all.
                                                          Saw on insta the owner of a claim they were on previously, said it was a huge fraud, only came in for about a month and scratched around a bit.
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

No mention of the rugby people playing the Wolfe Tones 'Up the Ra' over the tannoy system at RDS last night?
                                                            The poor soccer girlies had barely finished their sing-song before they were subjected to compulsory re-education by the media.

Comment

Bullet Train was a bit disappointing imo.

Comment

Price of scrappage has gone way up Got quoted €330 for my old Focus, with them collecting.

Comment

Have decided this is the year to go back to a gas BBQ. What are the considered recommendations of the BBV BBQ brethren?

Comment

Keep the series recommendations coming.

I've only got around to Dopesick, Mare of Easttown, Pam & Tommy, Homecoming & Afterlife over the Christmas. Thought they were all pretty good tbh.

Just started Atlanta, only 4 episodes in and seems goodish but maybe need to give it a bit more time and was a bit over hyped by some friends who put me on to it.
                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                      No mention of the rugby people playing the Wolfe Tones 'Up the Ra' over the tannoy system at RDS last night?
                                                                      The poor soccer girlies had barely finished their sing-song before they were subjected to compulsory re-education by the media.
                                                                      Worst bit is apologising for playing the song in an empty stadium- so weak.
                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                        Keep the series recommendations coming.

I've only got around to Dopesick, Mare of Easttown, Pam & Tommy, Homecoming & Afterlife over the Christmas. Thought they were all pretty good tbh.

Just started Atlanta, only 4 episodes in and seems goodish but maybe need to give it a bit more time and was a bit over hyped by some friends who put me on to it.
                                                                        White Lotus is brilliant, I really enjoyed season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

daniel negreanu being collateral damage just added to it
                                                                          Incredible!

image_5307.jpg
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

Context is quite different. First, it was the girls themselves singing the song, not that it was played over a soundsystem and quickly stopped when it was realised what was playing. Second, one is a regional team with no connection to Northern Ireland, and the other is a national team that is meant to be inclusive by its very nature. Plus it was the main news story on the Indo and Irish Times today, so its not like it has been ignored.

Comment

Context is quite different. First, it was the girls themselves singing the song, not that it was played over a soundsystem and quickly stopped when it was realised what was playing. Second, one is a regional team with no connection to Northern Ireland, and the other is a national team that is meant to be inclusive by its very nature. Plus it was the main news story on the Indo and Irish Times today, so its not like it has been ignored.
                                                                              Irish soccer team is Republic only, so is not meant to be all-Ireland inclusive in any way. Whereas Leinster rugby, whilst a regional team, is owned/funded by the same people as Ulster rugby. So not sure your comparisons really work there.
                                                                              Accept that it was front page on the Times/Indo. But really wanted to see some bemused ex-Internationals being asked on Sky Sports and the BBC whether they need to go off and educate the rugby administrators about the troubles.

Comment

What are the considered recommendations of the BBV BBQ brethren?
                                                                                Don't?

Just finished these iberico pork ribs of the Traeger smoker....class.

PXL_20230102_165512928.jpg

Comment

Irish soccer team is Republic only, so is not meant to be all-Ireland inclusive in any way.
                                                                                  I said inclusive, not all-Ireland inclusive, and theres a few traditions within our own 26 counties! I think also a national team has a bit more onus and a bit more gravitas attached to it, where its naturally going to be judged more.

Comment

Really is amazing how quickly we've (in the sense of the collective EU) transitioned off Russian gas. And wholesale prices below pre-invasion levels.
                                                                                    Obama's description of RuSSia as 'a gas station with nukes' may have to be revised.

Comment

Klopp should have got out while the going was great. Easily said in hindsight obv.

Comment

Really is amazing how quickly we've (in the sense of the collective EU) transitioned off Russian gas. And wholesale prices below pre-invasion levels.
                                                                                        Obama's description of RuSSia as 'a gas station with nukes' may have to be revised.
                                                                                        although when will the fucking electricity prices drop? Transitioning off Russian gas to gas priced at four times Russian gas is a bit of a pyrrhic victory (on a sidenote, always thought 'pyrrhic' was something to do with fire, but no), so hopefully we can massively speed up the permanent freedom that comes from much more renewables added to the mix. Decent moves on scaling up solar in the offing, and of course the big Shannon Wind Rush.

Comment

Klopp should have got out while the going was great. Easily said in hindsight obv.
                                                                                          Kloopsadaisy

Comment

The midfield is shambolic tbh.
                                                                                            Gonna need two windows at least to sort it.
                                                                                            Can't see why Bellingham would come here seeing the state of the squad.
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Piers Morgan: “If it was just about money, you’d be in Saudi Arabia earning this king’s ransom, but that’s not what motivates you. You want to keep at the top.”

Cristiano Ronaldo: “Exactly.”

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1729211&d=1672692809&type=thumb For SP just in case he hasnt had a new year wank yet

Comment

White Lotus is brilliant, I really enjoyed season 1.
                                                                                                    It's excellent I just finished season 1 . I believe season 2 is even better
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                                      Annual Christmas quiz. Posted some in previous years we were stuck on. Any ideas for these?

(When I try to embed them, they're tiny and blurry - any ideas what I'm doing wrong?)

This was Gorbachev which was pretty tough! Full image here

Comment

A present to fantasize about,,but now a little nervous when its a reality.

Comment

although when will the fucking electricity prices drop? Transitioning off Russian gas to gas priced at four times Russian gas is a bit of a pyrrhic victory (on a sidenote, always thought 'pyrrhic' was something to do with fire, but no), so hopefully we can massively speed up the permanent freedom that comes from much more renewables added to the mix. Decent moves on scaling up solar in the offing, and of course the big Shannon Wind Rush.
                                                                                                          Meanwhile, in the real world.

IRELAND has not reduced its dependence on fossil fuels with latest reports showing growth in gas, oil and coal use, and carbon emissions rising with them.

"Sluggish winds during 2021 meant more electricity had to be generated by burning fossil fuels, pushing coal usage up by 104.3pc and oil up by 5.8pc."

Amazing

We imported 80pc of all our energy needs in 2021.

Incredible

Here's an example of a country doing things properly:

Comment

Meanwhile, in the real world.

https://www.independent.ie/news/envi...-42219581.html

"Sluggish winds during 2021 meant more electricity had to be generated by burning fossil fuels, pushing coal usage up by 104.3pc and oil up by 5.8pc."

Amazing

We imported 80pc of all our energy needs in 2021.

Incredible

Here's an example of a country doing things properly:

https://twitter.com/AngelicaOung/sta...66023507382309

We're not going to get nuclear. Its almost defeatist and silly to still be thinking about it. No party, nor really much of the public, will accept building it. So we have to work within the envelope we have. Like much of the rest of Europe, which similarly won't stomach nuclear (for historical flawed reasons, but it is what it is). Thats why the plan is to increase the diversity of renewables and rely on interconnectors.

We've a huge increase in solar on the near horizon. Big grants to improve the energy efficiency of buildings will reduce how much power is demanded, and solar can complement this by reducing the overall energy demand of our buildings and the people who live in those buildings. So this, in general, will act as a major force to reduce how much power each home demands.

Offshore wind will solve a lot of the problems of intermittent wind and provide a bulk of core energy alongside interconnectors. The big thing also is we are starting the development of hydrogen plants (in Cork and Shannon, albeit at a snails pace), which will be able to turn excess wind - and we will definitely have excess wind - into stored energy.

Transport energy is a huge issue - the switch to electric helps this to some extent - but really needs much more active travel and bulk transport to make a difference. Thats going to be hard as it needs changed mindsets, but the payoffs are vastly better in terms of societal benefits than just building a nuclear plant to fix supply.

Also, Canada, in your example, has CO2 emissions per capita that are twice that of Ireland, so whatever they are doing right in Ontario, they are outrageously undoing elsewhere in Canada. Maybe not the best example.

Comment

I think someone posted this a week or so ago, but they are enjoyable to watch, would love to hear of examples of similar craic in Dublin if people have heard of them.

Last edited by Goodluck2me; 03-01-23, 00:15.

Comment

We're not going to get nuclear. Its almost defeatist and silly to still be thinking about it. No party, nor really much of the public, will accept building it. So we have to work within the envelope we have. Like much of the rest of Europe, which similarly won't stomach nuclear (for historical flawed reasons, but it is what it is). Thats why the plan is to increase the diversity of renewables and rely on interconnectors.

We've a huge increase in solar on the near horizon. Big grants to improve the energy efficiency of buildings will reduce how much power is demanded, and solar can complement this by reducing the overall energy demand of our buildings and the people who live in those buildings. So this, in general, will act as a major force to reduce how much power each home demands.

Offshore wind will solve a lot of the problems of intermittent wind and provide a bulk of core energy alongside interconnectors. The big thing also is we are starting the development of hydrogen plants (in Cork and Shannon, albeit at a snails pace), which will be able to turn excess wind - and we will definitely have excess wind - into stored energy.

Transport energy is a huge issue - the switch to electric helps this to some extent - but really needs much more active travel and bulk transport to make a difference. Thats going to be hard as it needs changed mindsets, but the payoffs are vastly better in terms of societal benefits than just building a nuclear plant to fix supply.

Also, Canada, in your example, has CO2 emissions per capita that are twice that of Ireland, so whatever they are doing right in Ontario, they are outrageously undoing elsewhere in Canada. Maybe not the best example.
                                                                                                                I think it would be easier to build nuclear in Ireland than to get masses of the population out of their cars and into public transport.

Ont he offshore wind, yes the Load factors are higher at c. 40-45% rather than 30-35%, but that’s still a fair bit of intermittency and also highly correlated with onshore obviously.

On Canada I assume its the mining that pushes them up, i’ve no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I think it would be easier to build nuclear in Ireland than to get masses of the population out of their cars and into public transport.

Ont he offshore wind, yes the Load factors are higher at c. 40-45% rather than 30-35%, but that’s still a fair bit of intermittency and also highly correlated with onshore obviously.

On Canada I assume its the mining that pushes them up, i’ve no idea.
                                                                                                                  The plan is to develop 30GW of offshore, so there should be *massive* surplus in surplus times (we've about 7GW of demand currently?). That combined with hydrogen conversion of the excess should sort out the intermittency issue. Or at least thats the plan I heard, which sounds convincing. Clearly am no expert though, given I was asking the other day for a good book to understand the whole area better, and instead Zuut distracted me by offering a book on semiconductors

Comment

You're spot on about the difficulty of getting the masses - including myself - into public transport. But the payoffs are great and much more than simply energy savings. Big health boosts, more active participation in society in general. Think its worth the struggle, while not sure that nuclear is worth the struggle.

Guess the way it will work is that places like Dun Laoghaire and similar will lead the way just because of the type of population it is, and then other areas will start to see how that's a better way of living and start to demand the same in their local areas. Rather than some big-bang approach of every area suddenly all progressing at the same pace. Fingers crossed anyway.

Comment

We're not going to get nuclear. Its almost defeatist and silly to still be thinking about it.
                                                                                                                      It's defeatist to think about the only real viable solution we have? That's crazy. There was a time in Ireland when the population voted against divorce! Three times! It's defeatest to think that Irish people are so stupid they can't update their opinion under changing circumstances - and it would be in keeping with the rest of the world.

https://www.energymonitor.ai/policy/...uclear-energy/

C'mon Hitch...We need our bright young educators helping to spread the word!
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Hectorjelly; 03-01-23, 04:05.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

It's excellent I just finished season 1 . I believe season 2 is even better
                                                                                                                        It's great but it's definitely not better than season 1

Comment

You're spot on about the difficulty of getting the masses - including myself - into public transport. But the payoffs are great and much more than simply energy savings. Big health boosts, more active participation in society in general. Think its worth the struggle, while not sure that nuclear is worth the struggle.

Guess the way it will work is that places like Dun Laoghaire and similar will lead the way just because of the type of population it is, and then other areas will start to see how that's a better way of living and start to demand the same in their local areas. Rather than some big-bang approach of every area suddenly all progressing at the same pace. Fingers crossed anyway.
                                                                                                                          Outside of the Dublin metro area, I doubt we see any meaningful change in transport modes. People will continue to drive everywhere in fossil fuel burners.
                                                                                                                          And the local gombeen politicos will fully cater to this.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X