This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Has to be seen by most in the GOP now as toxic. Do you think he will run as an independent when he doesn't get the nomination? Knowing him he would do it out of spite just to sabotage them.
    No idea but it will be the best show on earth as it plays out. The GOP has a massive problem in that Trump's biggest supporters follow the Trump brand rather than the GOP itself. Obviously they deserve everything that's coming their way but it's a very 'fucked if you do, fucked if you don't' scenario.

It's actually very Shakespearean. Trump definitely could have been a King Lear\Richard III\Macbeth\Claudius mashup character.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's actually very Shakespearean. Trump definitely could have been a King Lear\Richard III\Macbeth\Claudius mashup character.
      Shakespeare got closest with Cloten from Cymbaline IMO, Leave out the Well shaped man and he's just about spot on

Cloten is Cymbeline’s stepson, the Queen’s son by her first marriage, and a remarkably stupid man.

The ultimate spoiled brat, he is destined by both King and Queen to marry the Princess Imogen, and by the Queen at least to therefore be named heir to the throne. Unfortunately for them all, he is quite unable to woo said Princess, as he is rude, self-involved, dense, quarrelsome, foul-mouthed, and snobbish, as well as a bad gambler and an overdressed fop surrounded by sycophants – not to mention rather smelly. He is also full of bravado, and gives this full sway at an important diplomatic meeting, thereby precipitating a war by offering up admittedly patriotic insults to an ambassador. A man with a crude mind, he is so insulted that Imogen prefers the poor Posthumus to himself that when she runs after the latter he plans to follow, find them, and commit murder on the man and rape on the woman. Literal-minded, Cloten cannot understand a figurative insult, and thinks that Imogen merely prefers Posthumus’s clothes to his own. Rather a buffoon, Cloten is never the less a well-shaped man, physically almost identical to Posthumus.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just waiting on Cyclaman to win the 4:45 in Dundalk to determine if today was a good day or not.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Just waiting on Cyclaman to win the 4:45 in Dundalk to determine if today was a good day or not.
          Still stuck in traffic
          carry on with the rest of ur day young man
          if he cycled to Kerry he wouldn’t win a race
          sorry

Comment

I might get the Racing Post's final summary of this nag's run put on my headstone:

made no telling impression

Comment

No contest really.

_127918715_timemagazinepersonofyear2022.jpg

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Although in 2007:

SPOILER

Comment

I was actually looking up the list of Time winners not for that but rather for a pop quiz question. Excluding massive groupings of people (e.g. 'you' / 'the people' won Time Person of the Year in 2006 - presumably due to the Arab Spring or something like that), how many Irish people have been Time Person of the Year? At a guess.

Comment

I was actually looking up the list of Time winners not for that but rather for a pop quiz question. Excluding massive groupings of people (e.g. 'you' / 'the people' won Time Person of the Year in 2006 - presumably due to the Arab Spring or something like that), how many Irish people have been Time Person of the Year? At a guess.
                      Zero?

Comment

3?
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

As a total guess, I'm going to say 3

Bono
                          A Politician involved in the peace process
                          Some other randomer

Comment

Most likely 0. Normally goes to a world leader i.e USA president, a world war prominent person, popes, etc... Doubt Irish people would figure much
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Also, what kind of a gobshite forgets to book dinner for himself, his boss and his RVP (who in particular is a food and wine nut) and only remembers to do it a week before the date. I mean, it's not like pretty much every decent restaurant is going to be booked out the week before Christmas week.

I'd like to say I only had one job but part of the problem is that I've about a hundred...

Comment

Bono it is, standing alone. Had felt that Gerry Adams would be there, and that there was an outside chance that De Valera would have made it.

Comment

Bono it is, standing alone. Had felt that Gerry Adams would be there, and that there was an outside chance that De Valera would have made it.
                                  Yeah, think I had it mixed up with the Nobel Peace Prize.
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Gerry Adams

But also Bono. Geldof maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Also, what kind of a gobshite forgets to book dinner for himself, his boss and his RVP (who in particular is a food and wine nut) and only remembers to do it a week before the date. I mean, it's not like pretty much every decent restaurant is going to be booked out the week before Christmas week.

I'd like to say I only had one job but part of the problem is that I've about a hundred...
                                      Tell them you decided to do it in early Jan instead:
                                      1. no 'Christmas menu' horrors
                                      2. 'Sure, we're all mad busy in the run up' etc
                                      3. 'You would want something nice to look forward to in Jan'

etc etc

Comment

Strewel SIL salami seasonal stupendousness ordered.

Although not impressed the delivery fee now €50, hope the FIL gets a decent hamper out of it.

Comment

Tell them you decided to do it in early Jan instead:
                                          1. no 'Christmas menu' horrors
                                          2. 'Sure, we're all mad busy in the run up' etc
                                          3. 'You would want something nice to look forward to in Jan'

etc etc

Yeah, that might work if the RVP wasn't flying in from London for it

Comment

Previous Times winners that didn't age well.
                                            • Lindbergh
                                            • Hitler
                                            • Stalin
                                            • Nixon
                                            • Khomeni
                                            • Putin
                                            • Giuliani

Perspective is everything.

Comment

Previous Times winners that didn't age well.
                                              • Lindbergh
                                              • Hitler
                                              • Stalin
                                              • Nixon
                                              • Khomeni
                                              • Putin
                                              • Giuliani

Perspective is everything.
                                              I think they would still justify the decision for most of them.
                                              It's not a popularity contest or a laurel and hearty handshake thing. It's who has made the most impactful/influential contribution to the year, which should be a 'negative' person a good percentage of the time.

Comment

Yeah, that might work if the RVP wasn't flying in from London for it

For a sec.
                                                When i read RVP and wot with you being a united man i thought you were taking the legrnd himself out for a meal.

Just as well its not as he eats like a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

It's not a popularity contest or a laurel and hearty handshake thing. It's who has made the most impactful/influential contribution to the year, which should be a 'negative' person a good percentage of the time.
                                                  Lov the Blazing Saddles homage That new Sherrif is a Niiiiii

Comment

Thinking of pokering it up tomorrow night. Just to feel something. JP's website is a bit of a carcrash, with the man doing absolutely everything except telling people what is on and thus encouraging them to visit. But last Thursday he posted this was on on twitter. Is that on tomorrow also?

Comment

Sorted. Checked loads of places earlier and lots booked out or had a woeful set Christmas menu. Had another look hours later and one place that I saw you could go on a waiting list (Library St) that was booked out was now showing as having space.

The morale of the story is, when you fuck up, don't panic. Go home, drink a bottle of wine and everything will work itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

For a sec.
                                                        When i read RVP and wot with you being a united man i thought you were taking the legrnd himself out for a meal.

Just as well its not as he eats like a horse.

My boss is an Arsenal fan, so me, him and Van the man would make an interesting night out.

Comment

Thinking of pokering it up tomorrow night. Just to feel something. JP's website is a bit of a carcrash, with the man doing absolutely everything except telling people what is on and thus encouraging them to visit. But last Thursday he posted this was on on twitter. Is that on tomorrow also?

Would you not go into the SE instead? Or does that open up too many avenues of potential deviance?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Oh, completely. Still not a good look historically though (even at the time you would have to wonder WTF they were at as Hitler got it in 1938 and Stalin in 1939). Stalin had murdered millions by then and it was very obvious what Hitler was too. Wonder if there was an outcry at the time...?

Comment

Would you not go into the SE instead? Or does that open up too many avenues of potential deviance?
                                                              The risk appears to depend quite heavily on whether you run into Dice or not.

Funny, I’ve still never been to SE.

Comment

Ronnie O'Brien robbed of this around the turn of the century.

For those too young to remember, in 1999 Time opened their person of the century poll up to internet voting, there was a big campaign to get the little known Irish footballer Ronnie O'Brien to #1 spot. Ronnie O Brien was a bit part player for Middlesbrough (I think) who somehow got a transfer to Juventus in the summer, and they held an online poll to see who people thought would be their best signing. Ronnie was on it with some much higher profile names, and people in Ireland thought it'd be hilarious to get Ronnie to win that online poll.

Having pulled that off successfully, people wondered what other poll he could win online, and then Time asked for online nominations for the person of the century. Ronnie was removed from the results twice I think with him leading the worldwide field, before they did something that stopped him being nominated at all.

it was all intended as a bit of a jape, but could well have had negative consequences for the man himself, who as his absence of fame since will attest to, didn't make the grade as a top level footballer, although did make a middling number of appearances in the MLS is America.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Ronnie O'Brien robbed of this around the turn of the century.

For those too young to remember, in 1999 Time opened their person of the century poll up to internet voting, there was a big campaign to get the little known Irish footballer Ronnie O'Brien to #1 spot. Ronnie O Brien was a bit part player for Middlesbrough (I think) who somehow got a transfer to Juventus in the summer, and they held an online poll to see who people thought would be their best signing. Ronnie was on it with some much higher profile names, and people in Ireland thought it'd be hilarious to get Ronnie to win that online poll.

Having pulled that off successfully, people wondered what other poll he could win online, and then Time asked for online nominations for the person of the century. Ronnie was removed from the results twice I think with him leading the worldwide field, before they did something that stopped him being nominated at all.

it was all intended as a bit of a jape, but could well have had negative consequences for the man himself, who as his absence of fame since will attest to, didn't make the grade as a top level footballer, although did make a middling number of appearances in the MLS is America.
                                                                  Ah, this reminds me of the Honduran Maradona. A good one to read at lunchtime.

Comment

Ah, this reminds me of the Honduran Maradona. A good one to read at lunchtime.
                                                                    I read that before alright, at least no damage done. I doubt there was to Ronnie O'Brien either, but still in hindsight not a great spotlight to put on a young person.

Comment

Don't think the Leo nightclub story should be off limits. Anyone who invites the media into their home to project a happy family life vibe should be fair game IMHO, gay or straight.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I read that before alright, at least no damage done. I doubt there was to Ronnie O'Brien either, but still in hindsight not a great spotlight to put on a young person.
                                                                        the guys reaction was pretty cool and in fairness it seemed like he was enjoying his life

Comment

Don't think the Leo nightclub story should be off limits. Anyone who invites the media into their home to project a happy family life vibe should be fair game IMHO, gay or straight.
                                                                          what is the Leo story?

Comment

While obviously what he chooses to do in his own time (as long as it is legal) is no one else's business, if not wanting things like that known is his goal, he should be a bit more circumspect in public, even in places where he might not expect to be filmed. I'm still not sure what type of discussion it merits though.

Comment

what is the Leo story?
                                                                              Wearing face with a person not his partner in a nightclub recently.

Comment

While obviously what he chooses to do in his own time (as long as it is legal) is no one else's business, if not wanting things like that known is his goal, he should be a bit more circumspect in public, even in places where he might not expect to be filmed. I'm still not sure what type of discussion it merits though.
                                                                                Discussion on infidelity goes back to the Greeks gods or further. Choosing to regularly put your private life in the public eye is a double edged sword.

Comment

I think unless you do the boldened bit I would be against it, bad people sometimes make good leaders etc. but if you’re using as your selling strategy you open yourself up to it.

Comment

Honesty thought it was a deepfake when I first saw it- still wearing the work suit and all. Impressive media blackout- it seems out of character to be that reckless from him in a public space- different standards in a gay relationship obv so may be nothing to it in terms of his own home life.
                                                                                    I don’t like the guy because he wears novelty socks - cannot trust someone who does that in high office
                                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I dunno it's an odd one the way it's been portrayed but he doesn't seem in the slightest bit bothered - "Lads idgaf, private matter and won't make any further comment". I was away for a few days so I missed the story until today. @rd3 search for his name on Twitter and you can see the story/video. Clearly, he's in a public place so it's not like he's trying to hide anything. If I was to guess he's either split from his partner or has some sort of open type arrangement. Regardless, that's pure speculation and I don't actually have a clue. Shrug shoulders and on to the next news story for me. If it was Boris Johnson then the brits would nod along as if to say ah yeah that's good old BoJo and kinda his thing.

Wombatman - doesn't seem like it's off-limits as such. Media have asked him about it and he said I'm not going there. He's not going to engage further. So is that not just pretty much the end of the story unless you want to read gossip mags or tabloids about it?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                        I dunno it's an odd one the way it's been portrayed but he doesn't seem in the slightest bit bothered - "Lads idgaf, private matter and won't make any further comment". I was away for a few days so I missed the story until today. @rd3 search for his name on Twitter and you can see the story/video. Clearly, he's in a public place so it's not like he's trying to hide anything. If I was to guess he's either split from his partner or has some sort of open type arrangement. Regardless, that's pure speculation and I don't actually have a clue. Shrug shoulders and on to the next news story for me. If it was Boris Johnson then the brits would nod along as if to say ah yeah that's good old BoJo and kinda his thing.

Wombatman - doesn't seem like it's off-limits as such. Media have asked him about it and he said I'm not going there. He's not going to engage further. So is that not just pretty much the end of the story unless you want to read gossip mags or tabloids about it?
                                                                                        ah yeah, totally. Although you just know the knuckle draggers will be out in force using their coded words like 'lifestyle'.

Comment

Strewel SIL salami seasonal stupendousness ordered.

Although not impressed the delivery fee now €50, hope the FIL gets a decent hamper out of it.
                                                                                          Its all fast DHL these days, I think it was 35 last year!

Herself has been over there on Grannying duty for the last few weeks hopefully coming back with a full suitcase tomorrow.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Its all fast DHL these days, I think it was 35 last year!

Herself has been over there on Grannying duty for the last few weeks hopefully coming back with a full suitcase tomorrow.
                                                                                            Tell her to dump such fripperies as clothing and toiletries, and fill 'er up.

I went for quite a few of the small salamis this time, a few of the monster salamis, plus ham, bresaola and some rosa di bosca, which looks great. That, plus the usual Sheridans raid, and a fervent desire not to move beyond the pale this year should mean a very comfortable hibernation for the break.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Try to imagine the media reaction if Simon Convey was filmed snogging some young one in a nightclub. Do you think the coverage would be the same? Be honest. Media not touching it because they know they would be instantly accused of homophobia. To be fair the story has sparked a shed load of homophobic posts on Twitter and elsewhere. I guess to a fault I'm expecting equality of treatment when we clearly aren't there yet.

Comment

Try to imagine the media reaction if Simon Convey was filmed snogging some young one in a nightclub. Do you think the coverage would be the same? Be honest. Media not touching it because they know they would be instantly accused of homophobia. To be fair the story has sparked a shed load of homophobic posts on Twitter and elsewhere. I guess to a fault I'm expecting equality of treatment when we clearly aren't there yet.
                                                                                                your interest seems...prurient.

Comment

Tell her to dump such fripperies as clothing and toiletries, and fill 'er up.

I went for quite a few of the small salamis this time, a few of the monster salamis, plus ham, bresaola and some rosa di bosca, which looks great. That, plus the usual Sheridans raid, and a fervent desire not to move beyond the pale this year should mean a very comfortable hibernation for the break.
                                                                                                  Nice BBv'ing of yourself, hit me up for a pint in Glynns when your plans go tits up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Nice BBv'ing of yourself, hit me up for a pint in Glynns when your plans go tits up.
                                                                                                    sure, might even get the cousin in law to pour us a free one

Comment

your interest seems...prurient.
                                                                                                      I fail to see how having an interest in balanced coverage can be misconstrued as prurience. I guess some people will never see past the titillation.

Comment

I fail to see how having an interest in balanced coverage can be misconstrued as prurience. I guess some people will never see past the titillation.
                                                                                                        you seem to be the only one that gives a shite tbf

Comment

Hard not to just...........

Comment

at the risk of sounding homophobic but fair . I think its Leos own business and indeed any consenting adults business what they do in a nightclub ffs . However the mental image is urghh.

Comment

New song out today, a gentle affair I wrote after reading La dame aux camélias - https://open.spotify.com/track/6cDof...8d373c292b4060

Comment

One of the key problems with this story was the recording of what he did in a gay club. Safe spaces for LGBTQI+ people are really important. It can be legitimately dangerous in certain places at certain times for gay couples to hold hands, let alone kiss or show any form of physical affection. Part of the reaction to this story from that community is the violation of something important in the protection of those safe spaces. It obviously harkens back to a cultural memory for that community of when they had to gather with discretion because of prevailing bigoted views. The idea of someone violating that trust evokes a visceral response, and rightly so.

The "what about if it was" line of argument doesn't really work here. For a start it's not really part of Irish political culture to focus on the private lives of our politicians and the media respect that for the most part. I honestly think if it had been Coveney then the reaction wouldn't have been all that different.

On the equality of treatment point - and for the sake of argument assuming Coveney would have been top story on the Six-One News - I still think this is a form of equal treatment. Not all cases are the same. Coveney doing it, in context, might attract public comment for good reason. But it is a valid editorial decision to say that the violation of a safe space by a voyeuristic opportunist should not be rewarded and that the public benefit in running the story is outweighed by the good achieved by not running it whereas the same consideration might lead the same editor to conclude that the countervailing factors did not arise in Coveney's case and so the story can run. Equal treatment by giving proper weight to the specific considerations in each case.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Just driven home along snow covered streets and I finally noticed (Noddy Holden voice)
                                                                                                                  IT'S CHRISTMAS.

Comment

Fairly good deal for Russia Grimer for Bout

Not good for rest of the world I would imagine. I suppose he goes back to business as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                      Fairly good deal for Russia Grimer for Bout

Not good for rest of the world I would imagine. I suppose he goes back to business as usual.
                                                                                                                      Why would Putin want a middleman taking a cut?

Comment

the guys reaction was pretty cool and in fairness it seemed like he was enjoying his life
                                                                                                                        Thought this was a response to Leo..

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                          Honesty thought it was a deepfake when I first saw it- still wearing the work suit and all. Impressive media blackout- it seems out of character to be that reckless from him in a public space-
                                                                                                                          I think he's always been relatively anon.

Media never really mentioned his sexuality (not that there's anything wrong with that sort of thing) until he was open about it (even though it was widely known). Also he's always gone out a lot, blind drunk, and nothing mentioned.

Irish system seems >>> gutter Brit press.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X