This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I keep making the Trump analogy but that's another good one. SF voters are blindly loyal and will vote for them no matter what, probably even in spite of it.

I wonder if their loyalty will be strained if SF in office turn out to be as mendacious and incompetent as Trump? It'll be interesting to watch.
    Just like Trump, of course loyalty won't be strained.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The 'use yous for money and votes' bit seems really vague. Anyone any theories as to what that actually means, practically.

Particularly the votes bit.

Comment

Would be interesting to hear Lloyd's take on it.

Comment

I keep making the Trump analogy but that's another good one. SF voters are blindly loyal and will vote for them no matter what, probably even in spite of it.

I wonder if their loyalty will be strained if SF in office turn out to be as mendacious and incompetent as Trump? It'll be interesting to watch.
          I think you’re right. In my mind right now the only thing that could sway voters is if their conditions worsen or maybe even stand pat under a SF government.

We’re at a stage where any and all criticism-similar to Trump- is establishment driven narrative designed to keep SF out.

Comment

I'm not too sure. I don't think the typical SF voters are quite as loyal as Trumpists but they are definitely anti-establishment. I suspect they won't vote FF/FG in a month of Sundays, they'll either vote PBP maybe or not vote at all.

Ultimately they are just being led down a blind path and it's quite amazing how many people are following it. Friends of mine, some of whom are doing quite well for themselves, which i've alluded to before here i think, which amazes me. Some people just want to complain and want more without seeing the bigger picture. We are actually doing very OK as a country IMO - overall.

On the flip side, if/when SF do get in, it'll be interesting cause i don't really want them to do bad

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              I'd be more interested to hear Kayroo's thoughts on the use of the word you('?)s. For some reason it really grates me and I dont know why but I've noticed it a lot more in the last decade than I ever did before.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I'd be more interested to hear Kayroo's thoughts on the use of the word you('?)s. For some reason it really grates me and I dont know why but I've noticed it a lot more in the last decade than I ever did before for some reason.
                Same.

I think one thing the Yanks got right is Y'all.

Comment

The 'use yous for money and votes' bit seems really vague. Anyone any theories as to what that actually means, practically.

Particularly the votes bit.
                  Not too much of an idea. I imagine the money side is funding SF electorally but also perhaps ML and other prominent figures personally. There was some furore a few months ago about how ML was able to afford her home, or afford doing it up, something like that.

The votes thing is more ambiguous. My first though was leaning on people to vote a certain way, but that seems kinda odd.

Then again, the money and votes are probably intrinsically linked.

Comment

Same.

Oh dear god - no.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Not too much of an idea. I imagine the money side is funding SF electorally but also perhaps ML and other prominent figures personally. There was some furore a few months ago about how ML was able to afford her home, or afford doing it up, something like that.

The votes thing is more ambiguous. My first though was leaning on people to vote a certain way, but that seems kinda odd.

Then again, the money and votes are probably intrinsically linked.
                      Doesn't make sense from a risk reward pov.

How many votes would be garnered by a small gang of criminals leaning on locals. How easy would it be to become known.

Money for promises sounds totally plausible and realistic. Votes doesn't make any sense.

Comment

I think government over the next 5 years is a poison chalice. We are downwind of brexit and its effects . I've never voted Sinn Fein but its purely on their background not on the actual party line . As despite the precious im all right Jack folk in the South , i live in hope for a 32 county Ireland in my lifetime. It will happen , just hope its as bloodless as possible.

Comment

Same.

We have Youghal which causes them great confusion.

Comment

The cuckoo granny on the Late Late show us everything thats great about Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              I think government over the next 5 years is a poison chalice. We are downwind of brexit and its effects . I've never voted Sinn Fein but its purely on their background not on the actual party line . As despite the precious im all right Jack folk in the South , i live in hope for a 32 county Ireland in my lifetime. It will happen , just hope its as bloodless as possible.
                              I'm slightly torn on the subject. But the fact that it won't be bloodless sways me.

Comment

Any naps for Navan tomorrow appreciated

Comment

Lloyd made a brief appearance on here a few months back and his take was really strange. Basically pure oppositionism and an acceptance that SF wouldn't solve any structural problems (and could well make them worse), an 'it's our turn and feck the rest of ye' approach.

Which again was reminiscent of Trumpism at its finest. It might be great for whipping up people on social media but it's got fuck all to with govering effectively.
                                  Trump, Brexit, SF, Brothers of Italy, FN...all sides of the same coin, driven by resentment and nativism.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This lady is a breath of fresh air. Feels every note.

Comment

We have Youghal which causes them great confusion.
                                      All y'all are in Youghall, is all.

Comment

Looking like an overlay at the Bonnington.
                                        €30k guarantee, €300 but-in,
                                        40 runners atm, registration open until 5pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                          Any naps for Navan tomorrow appreciated
                                          We'll be running Bayou Belle in the first but she's probably not overpriced at 200/1. She's schooling great but hurdling reasonably well and finishing ahead of any of the top half of the market would be a good outcome tomorrow.

It's a decent card with a lot of interesting runners with a view to the future but I'm not seeing a lot of obvious value punts yet.
                                          Might go with a very speculative ew on Jiving Jerry in the hcp hurdle.
                                          The Troytown is a proper race that you could make a case for anything in, I'll probably perm a few at the top of the handicap in forecasts and at the moment I'm leaning towards backing The Big Dog ew in the hope he can follow up after finally delivering on his potential last time.
                                          Lily Du Berlais might go off a bigger price than it should in the bumper but it will be a very competitive affair.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Lloyd made a brief appearance on here a few months back and his take was really strange. Basically pure oppositionism and an acceptance that SF wouldn't solve any structural problems (and could well make them worse), an 'it's our turn and feck the rest of ye' approach.
                                            And yet anyone who asked for an explanation of what their policies are was dismissed with some inane 'putting on a Football Jersey' analogy.

Comment

This lady is a breath of fresh air. Feels every note.
                                              That's fantastic, has me planning a trip to Austin.

Comment

Misclicked there and now have €100 on two Mexicans to get a yellow card for €1500, hopefully have a stern Ref

Comment

Misclicked there and now have €100 on two Mexicans to get a yellow card for €1500, hopefully have a stern Ref
                                                  Any 2 Mexicans to get booked in the entire game? I'll take that bet if you don't want it.

Comment

Aha, presumably 2 specific Mexicans?

Comment

Screenshot_20221126-185704_BoyleSports.jpg

Any 2 Mexicans to get booked in the entire game? I'll take that bet if you don't want it.
                                                      I wish, 2 specific lads
                                                      Last edited by Dice75; 26-11-22, 18:57.

Comment

I'd be more interested to hear Kayroo's thoughts on the use of the word you('?)s. For some reason it really grates me and I dont know why but I've noticed it a lot more in the last decade than I ever did before.
                                                        I'd be more interested in his views on the legality of the recordings. They were recorded in another jurisdiction right?

Defending Counsel Brendan Grehan for Hutch has argued that the State was “acting illegally” when it continued to use the bugging device after the men had travelled to Northern Ireland.

“The State cannot be allowed to benefit from its own illegality and the fruits of that harvest should not be admitted into the trial,” Grehan has said.

Sean Gillane SC, prosecuting, is due to respond on Monday before the judges make a decision.
                                                        The guards thought they had deleted the recordings, but had a root around and happened to find a "working copy". LOLz. Very serious situation if the guards can't manage evidence properly.

Maybe somebody decided the damage they would do to SF was more important that the damage they might do to the viability of the prosecution.

For the record I would never vote for SF.
                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Maybe somebody decided the damage they would do to SF was more important that the damage they might do to the viability of the prosecution.
                                                          Interesting.

Not a bonkers conspiracy theory at all.

Some would see it as dutiful patriotism, others not so much.

Comment

This soccer match is as bad as last weeks rugby.

Comment

We just got the word earlier this week that our eldest (4, will be 5 before the next school year starts) got into a local gaeilscoil, which I'm very pleased about. We only applied to two, this gaeilscoil and the local Educate Together, but as 1) the gaeilscoil is a bit more convenient in terms of getting to and from and 2) I went to a gaeilscoil myself in Galway in the 1980s and I believe the experience stood to me, I really hoped he'd end up going the Irish route. Wife probably a bigger fan of the other school, as her own Irish isn't great (she's a Dub). Didn't get into the Educate Together in the end, over subscribed, so it all worked out well from my perspective No doubt our daughter, just turned two, will now follow in her older brother's footsteps when she'll finish with the creche.

Comment

Real passion these soccer fans

Comment

The Swimmers is most excellent. Netflix.

Comment

When we were considering primary schools, the gaelscoil was binned when we realised we'd struggle to help them with their homework.

As an aside, there seems to have been a really positive change in how it's taught and presented to kids. Our two seem to have a bit of a gra for it, yapping and singing away in it at home.
                                                                    I used one my very rare vetos based on the parents of my kids future friends.

Always something a little intense/insecure or incredibly annoying about Dublin commuter belt gaelgoers. They are a definite type.

Will put in the extra hours with the kids or in the office to pay for grinds to make the chat at birthday parties for the next decade easier.

Comment

Air to water pump users, what do the symbols on the panels mean? https://imgur.com/a/5AGOBvr

​​​​​​No matter what I change on the panels the heating doesn't come on, though water is hot. Also have an isolator switch outside the room and no idea of it should be on or off, not that it's making a difference. Have 3 or 4 panels about the place, and if i put the temp up on it, i see the main temperature slowly increase but nothings getting warmer.
                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-11-22, 23:40.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Things are very much better, but still a lot of frustration involved, especially if you have to rely on public sector help.

My 2 kids are diagnosed autistic, although literally at opposite ends of things. My eldest was for all intents and purposes 'typical' and walked, talked, interacted as normal, but has the attention span of a gnat and can get hyper and disruptive but not out of malice of any sort. Very bright though, basically taught himself how to read before he started school, and has the memory of an elephant. In preschool they recognised he needed extra help and someone got assigned to him to help calm him and keep him constructively busy. He is in junior infants and this has carried on. Local health services guy though refused to countenance that there was anything he needed help with so wouldn't refer him on anywhere, so we had to get a private assessment which allows him to get the extra resources and time he needs in class now, otherwise he'd often be disruptive to others. With a bit of extra help to focus and channel his energy, he'll be fine, and I'd imagine will be substantially similar to other kids experiences. We can see the differences with the private occupational therapy sessions and extra help in school. He'd likely have coped, but with increasing difficulty as the years went by and would as you say have been ignored when we were kids.

My youngest has from about 14 months been far more obviously autistic in more severe ways. He has just turned 3 and doesn't speak, among other things. Thankfully locally there are decent private services we can avail of, and he is in a special ASD unit preschool, which from the day he turned 3 is fully covered by a grant as it doesn't come under the ECCE scheme. Again, we had to get him privately assessed, and private speech and language and occupational therapy. We have been assured that he is 'top of the list' for public speech and language for the last year, but it could be another year before anything like that actually becomes available to him. Thankfully (and with help from good cover under health insurance) we are able to fund these things privately for him. We'd still be waiting for a public assessment too if we weren't able to afford the private one (not cheap and not covered by health insurance).

Outcomes are much improved by early intervention and we are really hoping that'll be the case for him too. He's a sweet boy with an even temperament generally, but there are some frustrations with his lack of ability to communicate. He has (covered by the medical card he was granted after getting a specific government grant only made possible because he had a diagnosis we'd still be waiting for if relying on public route) a tablet to essentially allow him to communicate once he understands how to use it, but that will be a long and slow process to get to, and hopefully he will develop speech in the mean time, but if not, this will hopefully allow him to tell us things. He can make himself understood in a non-verbal way, but it is obviously limited. The point being that while the grants and supports are there, getting to them without resorting to private diagnoses and interventions is a very slow and laboured process. Things are better, but still a lot of room for improvement.
                                                                        My wife works a pediatric ot and it sounds like your getting a decent service compared to a lot kids. Not a high bar or any solace I know.

She stated doing some private work a few years ago
                                                                        and dropped down to 4 days so she had a day free.
                                                                        Partly for cash but once all the cost were rolled in and she insists on paying tax so it’s negligible.

Mostly and the reason I encouraged it was to get back to doing actual therapy instead of just assessments.

Some of the stories she has are heartbreaking and even a selfish prick like me is fine with her not charging sometimes or just not chasing people we know are struggling.

When recruiters thinks it’s ok to leave money on the table it pretty bad and it’s time she doesn’t get to spend with our own kids.

System actually has enough therapists is the worst thing. Poor managers, no admins, shite systems and back covering past bad practices eat most if their time.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                          Is there an easy way of tracking when 300+ games are on?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                            Air to water pump users, what do the symbols on the panels mean? https://imgur.com/a/5AGOBvr

​​​​​​No matter what I change on the panels the heating doesn't come on, though water is hot. Also have an isolator switch outside the room and no idea of it should be on or off, not that it's making a difference. Have 3 or 4 panels about the place, and if i put the temp up on it, i see the main temperature slowly increase but nothings getting warmer.
                                                                            Mine looks more run of the mill than yours. The flame means that the system is currently on anyway as attempting to heat up or maintain a certain temperature.

FWIW, my wife maintains that the system more often than not reads 1 degree lower than what we have it set at. Guy who services it mentioned similar anecdotal feedback from others in our estate.

I know there is an offset which we’ve often used on the boiler which increases/decreases the temperature of the radiators. Ours goes +/- 8 degree of whatever is the water temperature on the boiler. Again same guy suggested that would help increase the temperature in the radiators.

I’d say someone on boards would know more and will likely have the same set up

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Is there an easy way of tracking when 300+ games are on?
                                                                              Hendon mob or one of the Poker Ireland FB pages is probably it tbh.

1K in Cork next week with 100K gtd and 500e game in Galway Jan 5th-8th.

Irish Poker Tour has a 150e game in Dublin between Xmas & NY but it has a bigger 100K gtd.

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                              Hopefully they got it in the end. I think early birds for bigger buyins is just a bad idea in 2022.

I cant imagine it benefits the organisers all that much and I would think it definitively disincentivises people to late reg.

Far better to offer bubble protection as an incentive to sit on time.

Comment

Oops sorry Iona Paul. Had a few beers during and after the rugby so not the best phrasing.

Comment

Roy Keane sniping from the literal sidelines in Qatar with easy no cost to him soundbites doesn’t make him Nelson Mandela , the fawning over him as some grizzled truth teller is a joke, he’s not even a truth teller in his football analysis, gave Ronaldo a free pass the past year.
                                                                                  he’s like a panto act.

at least all the pundits/players have stopped pretending they care about human rights now .
                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                    In the process of signing a book contract with a very reputable publisher. The contract is interesting - I was mentally expecting the royalties to be a fair bit less?

My understanding is that net receipts is the sales price minus any discounts offered to sellers, rather than some The Producers scam where they can deduct all manner of expenses. But will double-check.

Probably the absolute best case scenario is about €10k of royalties, so you wouldn't be doing it for the money anyway.
                                                                                    There was a nice flaw in one of the major publishing companies royalty system about 15 years ago.
                                                                                    I was somewhat responsible but the defence of 'we gave them exactly 100% what they asked for' was solid.

In essence royalties were paid at the point that a book-shop or college ordered from the publisher, but that doesn't guarantee an actual sale.
                                                                                    The industry operated on a returns system - shop orders 20 copies of boring science book in August - by October only 18 have been sold to the students so you can return the other two as they are clearly never selling. Shop just pays the publisher for 18.
                                                                                    But the royalties was clicking that as a sale of 20, as no-one ever asked for returns to be counted when the royalty payment routine was ran and the cheques sent out.

Minor stuff which was only costing a small loss in a high margin business, but one professor had clearly worked out the flaw and got too greedy.
                                                                                    A couple of book-shops had ordered unfeasible quantities of his ridiculously expensive book and returned them a few months later.
                                                                                    Got away with it the first year but the second year someone questioned why X, Y & Z shops were re-ordering books which had been returned en-masse previously.
                                                                                    All came to light then and afaik got settled without needing to go legal/criminal route.

Comment

The previously sheeplike (politically) Chinese seem to be waking up a bit.

Comment

Link not working for me. Was it this? https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/w...smid=share-url
                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Link not working for me. Was it this? https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/w...smid=share-url
                                                                                          Sorry, yes.

Comment

There's endless protests in China every day of the week. They aren't 'sheeplike'. There's about 490 'mass protests' in China every day - 180,000 a year. There was also 1,095 labour strikes in the country last year. Even accounting for the massive population differences, we'd be hard-pressed to match the Chinese penchant for public protesting. If they are 'sheep', they are very angry sheep.

Hopefully though these particular protests do lift the nonsense on zero-covid.
                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think its great how the wimmin have become a part of male sports panelists. Their insights should be vslued and considered. We really have matured .

Question. Stephanie Roche . Yeigh or Neigh ?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                Oops sorry Iona Paul. Had a few beers during and after the rugby so not the best phrasing.
                                                                                                Lol, don't worry at all! I didn't think you were talking about me anyhow (FWIW I don't consider myself a Dublin commuter belt person, gaeilgoir or not ), I'm more of a 'oh, that can't be me being criticised, sure I'm perfect in my humble opinion' type, aka selectively clueless

Comment

Loads of cans of nitrous oxide (big heavy yokes, I picked one up) scattered about in the park this morning. Is that a thing now?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's endless protests in China every day of the week. They aren't 'sheeplike'. There's about 490 'mass protests' in China every day - 180,000 a year. There was also 1,095 labour strikes in the country last year. Even accounting for the massive population differences, we'd be hard-pressed to match the Chinese penchant for public protesting. If they are 'sheep', they are very angry sheep.

Hopefully though these particular protests do lift the nonsense on zero-covid.
                                                                                                    So you can protest away, as long as you don't look for inconvenient things like democracy, human rights or an end to crazy covid policies. Because if you do, we'll beat you to a bloody pulp.

Got it. Sounds great.

Comment

Loads of cans of nitrous oxide (big heavy yokes, I picked one up) scattered about in the park this morning. Is that a thing now?
                                                                                                      Been a thing for a few years now I believe among teens.

Comment

Has the reporting in the NYT and WSJ always been so bad / inaccurate, I just wasn't aware of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                          Has the reporting in the NYT and WSJ always been so bad / inaccurate, I just wasn't aware of it?
                                                                                                          They're quite different publications so wouldn't lump them together. They would still be regarded as the gold standard of journalism in the US though.

What are the inaccuracies?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Lol, don't worry at all! I didn't think you were talking about me anyhow (FWIW I don't consider myself a Dublin commuter belt person, gaeilgoir or not ), I'm more of a 'oh, that can't be me being criticised, sure I'm perfect in my humble opinion' type, aka selectively clueless
                                                                                                            Do you consider yourself a Dub though? (would be willing to be bet you don't and never will )

Comment

Yeah, the kids call it balooning apparently

A balloon filled with nitrous oxide, or NOS (laughing gas). You can usually find balloon dealers outside parties, raves, music festivals or other such gatherings. As soon as people hear a dealer inflating a balloon they flock round them like sheep. Balloons are the second most popular drug in the UK (aside from weed). Also goes by the name of Hippy crack.
                                                                                                              Dealer: You came to buy balloons bruv?
                                                                                                              Client: Yea man (hands over cash)
                                                                                                              Dealer: Calm G, this is 100% medical grade NOS. This shit'll make you trip. (Loudly inflates balloon)
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

They're quite different publications so wouldn't lump them together. They would still be regarded as the gold standard of journalism in the US though.

What are the inaccuracies?
                                                                                                                I’d agree on not lumping them together but beyond finance I’d be with Denny on questioning WSJ.

They’ve been under fire for years now going back to coverage on Trump.
                                                                                                                They’ve always been a conservative publication and while the NYT is a more liberal outfit -so bias both sides- the credibility of WSJ is definitely more under question.

I know they’re not technically American but US coverage by the likes of Reuters is probably the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I’d agree on not lumping them together but beyond finance I’d be with Denny on questioning WSJ.

They’ve been under fire for years now going back to coverage on Trump.
                                                                                                                  They’ve always been a conservative publication and while the NYT is a more liberal outfit -so bias both sides- the credibility of WSJ is definitely more under question.

I know they’re not technically American but US coverage by the likes of Reuters is probably the bar.
                                                                                                                  I have a NYT sub online and find it pretty good. They clearly still have a budget that most papers don't; you get some great stuff off the main page from bits of the US you don't normally hear about as well as very good foreign coverage.

Comment

Apparently there is a fellowship movement called racists anonymous. Step one is:

"I have come to admit that I am powerless over my addiction to racism in ways I am unable to recognize fully, let alone manage,"

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                      Apparently there is a fellowship movement called racists anonymous. Step one is:
                                                                                                                      Unfortunate naming. Now when we shout 'up the RA' people will think we are incurable racists. Hmmmm wait a sec .

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                        Racists are victims too.

Comment

Do you consider yourself a Dub though? (would be willing to be bet you don't and never will )
                                                                                                                          You are correct, I am not a Dub, doesn't matter than I've now crossed the line of living here longer than I lived in Galway. My 4 year old lad is also, as of last week, kitted out in Connacht gear for when he's at his under-5 rugby 'training' (don't worry MysteryGuest, there is no tackling so he should be quite alright for the next few years!), so hopefully will avoid becoming a true blue Dub himself for a little while

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X