This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    I honestly don't know why they don't do the armband thing and rotate captains for each game.

Yellows are cancelled after the group stages anyway
    Would be a horrible look for FIFA to sanction LGBTQ+ support. Some team should put it up to them.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

By his logic, he'd have no problem with Ireland reverting to the Archbishop McQuaid / DeValera era of the church running things and controlling the morality and what can/can't be done.
      That's some stretch.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

I have stolen your gif for my own purposes

This is the way
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          I honestly don't know why they don't do the armband thing and rotate captains for each game.

Yellows are cancelled after the group stages anyway
          It just shows that all these token gestures in sport (and especially soccer) are a load of rubbish if you can't stand up to a small bit of adversity by taking a yellow card if you truly believe in something. Just lip service to appease sponsors etc. Taking the knew drove/still drives my head in.

Embarrassing climb down by England/Wales and co IMO.

Comment

There is only one openly gay player in the top four divisions of English football. So exactly how supported would you feel by footballers wearing a rainbow armband?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

That's some stretch.
              Not really. You are saying Qatar is a fundamentally religious society, as Ireland was to a large degree for a large part of last century when there were lots of restrictions on women and when being gay was essentially illegal also, because of the laws in place at the time, which you are saying a religious country is entitled to have, so (and I'm extrapolating here) you are OK with that. Same logic applies to Ireland at that time when shame and ruling from the pulpit were to the fore in Ireland.

Comment

WPT Ambassadors are ramping up the giveaways. Guess the combined score in an NFL game, win a package. Tag a mate, win a package. I've never seen giveaways like this in poker. It's insane.

Comment

The 1968 Olympics Black Power salute or Kaepernick speak to the fact that the marginalised can be represented by their sporting heroes.

Real opportunity here to put it up to FIFA and Qatar. Set of balls required of course.
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Not really. You are saying Qatar is a fundamentally religious society, as Ireland was to a large degree for a large part of last century when there were lots of restrictions on women and when being gay was essentially illegal also, because of the laws in place at the time, which you are saying a religious country is entitled to have, so (and I'm extrapolating here) you are OK with that. Same logic applies to Ireland at that time when shame and ruling from the pulpit were to the fore in Ireland.
                    Thats a Hell of a lot of extrapolation

We changed for the better, they are still stuck where they are, nothing I've said can be taken as approval of their culture. But it is their culture and us thinking we have a right to force another culture on them against their will is cultural imperialism.
                    We can sneer, we can nudge for change, we can be an example of how democracy is better than autocracy but If we want them to change then we need a coherent plan to effect change, just turning up at a soccer tournament spouting platitudes that you are not even willing to follow through on is just bluster.

Comment

This is interesting, what it seems to me to indicate is that kids who have no interest of or understanding of recent history are buying the propaganda of SF/IRA hook line and sinker.

Anyone got the test of the Times article?

Very evident on the internet.

There were hugely popular Irish Simpsons meme pages that were basically SF propaganda. Not

Comment

Grinds for an 11 year old is a new one for me to be honest.

Think I'd prefer an average all rounder with friends and some sort of sporty proficiency/team exposure than going down the Japanese route of piling exam pressure on kids so much they have a mental break down.

I do understand that for some careers/courses it's just all about point points points but I think realistically the kids would be better off 'naturally' getting 400+ points rather than artificially getting 500 and then being under crazy pressure in college too.
                        I do acknowledge points != Course toughness too sometimes.
                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Very evident on the internet.

There were hugely popular Irish Simpsons meme pages that were basically SF propaganda. Not
                          I don't even think the troubles were mentioned up to JC in secondary school, after which a lot of people who didn't want to write essays non stop for the next 3 years dropped as a subject.
                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Thats a Hell of a lot of extrapolation

We changed for the better, they are still stuck where they are, nothing I've said can be taken as approval of their culture. But it is their culture and us thinking we have a right to force another culture on them against their will is cultural imperialism.
                            We can sneer, we can nudge for change, we can be an example of how democracy is better than autocracy but If we want them to change then we need a coherent plan to effect change, just turning up at a soccer tournament spouting platitudes that you are not even willing to follow through on is just bluster.
                            Bollox to the cultural imperialism bit.

Being gay is not cultural. These cunts are hosting a world event, and opening their doors to visitors. Their stance on homosexuality is no different to racism.

Imagine the following scenario. Scandinavian countries are hosting the WC or the Olympics.

Scandinavian countries (in this hypothetical) have exrreme state sanctioned cultures of Islamophobia.

Although they promised governing authorities they would allow outward displays of Islam, allow the hijab into stadia, they went back on their word and refused entry.

Muslims are afraid to travel there. A reporter wearing a hijab is hailed as brave on social media.

Would you consider it a fair argument to suggest Muslims travelling to Scandinavia are partaking in cultural imperialism, forcing their culture on a misunderstood people?

Replace Muslim with Black.

Fuck Qatar.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                              Fuck Qatar.
                              OK so we can only have sports that don't involve Islamic countries until they give up their 'oul religion. That's not very tolerant is it?

Comment

OK so we can only have sports that don't involve Islamic countries until they give up their 'oul religion. That's not very tolerant is it?
                                You could probably stretch to Qatar with that reach.

Comment

Could have been an amazing and joyous WC in Afghanistan or Iran in the 70s.

Comment

This is interesting, what it seems to me to indicate is that kids who have no interest of or understanding of recent history are buying the propaganda of SF/IRA hook line and sinker.
                                    I’m not really sure that’s it’s about propaganda.
                                    Younger people who were alive at the time are less likely to be aware of the full history, less likely to understand the troubles, or the GFA - as the survey shows.
                                    Following from that, it’s prey logically that they don’t understand the implication of “up the ‘ra” or understand what it all means.
                                    I think the same would apply to any major conflict and millennials vrs boomers.

And I’d also suggest that the 55+ cohort would have different results if the poll was taken in 1965.

Comment

i'm agreeing with SP . This passes through our milky way every 50 years . (Music doesnt count)

Comment

Or England in the late 70s/early 80s when the fans out scumbagged the government .

Comment

Both ruled by vicious dictators at the time.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Both ruled by vicious dictators at the time.
                                            As were the Argies in 78.

Far more liberal and open I would suspect than this shitshow.

Funny, I was thinking this the other day. What current ME society could host an un protested WC right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Think I'd prefer an average all rounder with friends and some sort of sporty proficiency/team exposure than going down the Japanese route of piling exam pressure on kids so much they have a mental break down.

I do understand that for some careers/courses it's just all about point points points but I think realistically the kids would be better off 'naturally' getting 400+ points rather than artificially getting 500 and then being under crazy pressure in college too.
                                              I think you are wrong.

Extra lessons at a young age is what gives kids the confidence to go out and unlock their natural skillset when the pressure starts eventually piling on, rather than get bogged down in a cycle of negative thinking that other kids are naturally better.

Its a primary school teacher who comes in to give the class, once a week, spends most of her time praising the kid and building up the confidence levels. Confidence is a hell of a drug. Plus those primary school teachers are so well trained they really know how to get the best out of kids.

There also isn't really a 'natural' level of points. Any kid is easily capable of a 200-point swing depending on how they are set up. Lack of support and they probably fall away, having the confidence to think that if they put the work in they'll get the grades, could be 200 points the other way. But its not even about points, its about feeling you can achieve things and growing up with that sense of anything is possible.

They probably won't go to an Irish uni anyway as the points are stupid for even ordinary courses - probably a Dutch uni - and there isn't any points for that system.
                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'm with Micknail.

A kid shouldn't start thinking about being an adult until they're almost an adult.

They're only a kid for a short time, they're an adult forever.

Grinds for grades, grades for uni, uni for a career. Fuck all of that for an 11 year old kid.

Let them play.

Comment

https://medium.com/incerto/the-most-...y-3f1f83ce4e15

Tolerance of intolerance leads to some very weird places. Wouldn't rank myself a huge Taleb fan but this is a great point imo.
                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 23-11-22, 22:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think you are wrong.

Extra lessons at a young age is what gives kids the confidence to go out and unlock their natural skillset when the pressure starts eventually piling on, rather than get bogged down in a cycle of negative thinking that other kids are naturally better.

Its a primary school teacher who comes in to give the class, once a week, spends most of her time praising the kid and building up the confidence levels. Confidence is a hell of a drug. Plus those primary school teachers are so well trained they really know how to get the best out of kids.

There also isn't really a 'natural' level of points. Any kid is easily capable of a 200-point swing depending on how they are set up. Lack of support and they probably fall away, having the confidence to think that if they put the work in they'll get the grades, could be 200 points the other way. But its not even about points, its about feeling you can achieve things and growing up with that sense of anything is possible.

They probably won't go to an Irish uni anyway as the points are stupid for even ordinary courses - probably a Dutch uni - and there isn't any points for that system.
                                                    Let's eh bear in mind I have no kids for a start, so take whatever I say about kids with a hefty pinch of idealism thrown in.

The extra maths lessons here sounds like a remedial teacher rather than private weekend grinds which is what I had in my head, so apologies.

And I probably should have put 'naturally' in italics rather than using it in the technical sense of the word.
                                                    I just meant what the student would get without help vs. non stop grinds for points.

There was a chap in my secondary whose parents paid for him to do 2 extra subjects privately for the LC.
                                                    I think it was with a plan of he'd really find it easy in that course in college (engineering or something, can you take that at LC level?).
                                                    This was on top of the school doing 7 subjects so basically you could really f up in one and it wouldn't really matter.
                                                    Poor bollix didn't get the points in the end for his first choice course as he was spreading himself so thin, did really well in the two extra subjects tho!
                                                    I think he eventually had to do a hopscotch from an IT into his uni of choice.
                                                    He was defo captain no craic for 2 years in school.
                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

He was defo captain no craic for 2 years in school.
                                                      He was captain of the no craic team though right?

Comment

I'm with Micknail.

A kid shouldn't start thinking about being an adult until they're almost an adult.

They're only a kid for a short time, they're an adult forever.

Grinds for grades, grades for uni, uni for a career. Fuck all of that for an 11 year old kid.

Let them play.
                                                        Meh maybe its different in our case given its a French school where there is largely no homework (as a general policy). There's definitely no shortage of play

Comment

On a similar thread to Hitch's,
                                                          My sis in law wants my niece to do secondary school through Irish. She hasn't done this in primary school.
                                                          Says it's because you can get 30% extra in the leaving.
                                                          I'll be quite honest, nobody on the family is fluent in Irish.

Am I right in thinking wtaf?
                                                          In this case it's surely better to get grinds in English to bring the grades up if needed, rather than be labouring through 6 years of a dead language?
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

When I moved to the south 25 years ago I'd never heard of grinds. Didn't know about the concept or how common there were.

They just weren't a thing in the north or, as far as I was aware, in Britain. The only person I know who took extra classes outside of school was the underachieving child of doctors. He still failed the entrance exam to the grammar school so the da paid for him to go.

I agree with Micknail and Lazare - can't comprehend the widespread hothousing of kids, especially at a young age. Seems like a lot of projection of parental ambition onto someone so young.

Maybe I'm just naive, honestly. But it would never really cross my mind, perhaps unless a teacher said, 'your son has a real talent for x (music/maths whatever) and would probably benefit from some advance study that I can't give him'.

Now of course that might change in years to come, driven by MrsHiFi probably, should there be a glimpse of slacking off or a target not getting met, who knows.

But I know even the threat of extra classes outside of school - thus depriving me of riding my BMX, hanging with my gang, being in a band, discovering girls, pretending to be in the IRA (only joking SP) etc... - would have fairly made me buck up my ideas.

Comment

Meh maybe its different in our case given its a French school where there is largely no homework (as a general policy). There's definitely no shortage of play
                                                              that policy goes out the window in secondary school and ramps up quite significantly as you progress up!!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

that policy goes out the window in secondary school and ramps up quite significantly as you progress up!!
                                                                Ah cool. She's in sixieme at the moment, but still no sign of homework

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Seems like a lot of projection of parental ambition onto someone so young.
                                                                  There's naturally a direct transfer from parental ambition to kid's growing up with ambition. Its not a bad thing, its the thing that gets you up in the morning wanting to do things.

Comment

I won't link to it, but I see our legal eagle in the paper today.

Comment

There's naturally a direct transfer from parental ambition to kid's growing up with ambition. Its not a bad thing, its the thing that gets you up in the morning wanting to do things.
                                                                      Oh I get that (I totally want my son to be a cool BMX riding, guitar wielding, sex bomb like I was), what I mean is that this doesn't seem to me a natural or particularly healthy manifestation of it.

Not knocking ambition... nor indeed all types of extra curricular learning, just wary of knee-jerk parental responses to slamming kids into more classes (which I'm not suggestion you or anyone else here is doing either BTW!).

Comment

I’m not sure I’d agree with you, it would be a bit like saying listen I don’t think I should allow my kids to go to football practise as it’s unlikely they’ll ever be a professional footballer and that’s too much pressure to put on a child, so they’ll end up not wanted to play any sports and have a mental breakdown (Strained analogy)

I agree with Hitch that it’s only when you are under performing in something that the confidence really gets hit, and what child/adult doesn’t enjoy the feedback loop of doing well in something, so if grinds are the way forward towards that then great.

Where I would have more of an issue is where parents force their own ideas of a career on a child, most commonly it seems with children of doctors. Some kids just simply don’t have the desire/ability/work rate to follow in their footsteps. You see a similar version of parents demanding their child goes to college regardless of ability or suitability to the course they are doing.

I came from a family of tradesmen and went to college and so I’ve seen both sides of it, I definitely think the work I put in that they didn’t during school has made life easier for me later on, so I’d always advice children to go down that route, where capable, but also acknowledge that if you are driven towards something else then just do it very very well and success will follow regardless of the field. I’d be totally agnostic as to which route they chose, I just hate the idea of half-assign anything. I think it was Jerry Flannery who was talking about playing rugby with Paul OConnell and they used to compete to be the best in all things that required no skill. I think that’s a great mindset.

Comment

I won't link to it, but I see our legal eagle in the paper today.
                                                                          Fighting the good fight on behalf of the downtrodden (banks).

The maddest thing in that story is the address of the property in question.

Comment

In terms of school, I regret not studying more for the fact that even to this day I find it hard to study (when the rare need arrives by doing work certification, etc) as I never really learned how to do it properly when I was a teenager. My coasting was nowhere near good enough to get me top grades, but it was more than enough to get middling ones, which is where I ended up, and picked college courses based on the points I'd likely get, rather than any criteria more sensible. If my kids are ever academically able or inclined then I'll help them in whatever way I can, but I doubt I'll force anything. They both have their own problems though (especially the younger lad), so it might not ever be anything I need to worry about, but if it comes to it there is a lot more to life than university courses.

If I could have my time again and wasn't an idiot teenager when I was an idiot teenager there are far more career paths (some of which would involve college/uni too obviously) that I'd go down ahead of where my 'path of least resistance' life has taken me thus far, albeit in things I have no aptitude or real interest in right now, just that I think life would be less boring doing them. Something like electrician (most gentrified of the trades imo), landscape gardener, zookeeper, even the previously mooted train driver.

I dislike my work in general, but am too locked in to life financially to even consider switching. There are no similar sideways related moves into different roles that I've come across that interest me 'either, so perhaps I'm just someone who is perpetually disinterested in things. Either way, I'd like to imagine kids can make better choices, but the problem there is that a lot of them have to make choices that are very important while they are idiot teenagers.

Youth is most definitely wasted on the young, as they say.

Comment

Child I did 'OK' in her JC but definitely performed below her potential, seems to be a general theme amongst her friends. Would say a few things at play there:
                                                                              • she didn't put the effort in at all, hence my 'get out what you put in' comment
                                                                              • school not pushing kids to achieve
                                                                              • covid certainly had an impact on their year, they were hardly taught at all for long stretches
                                                                              • we didn't push her and there were no grinds etc
                                                                              • definitely a bit of immaturity factor at play, possibly multiplied by the covid effect
                                                                              We're obviously not doing anything about it right now, and she can go through TY and enjoy all it has to offer but the focus for the LC cycle has to be on maximising her points and getting into college. If that means sending her to grinds or even somewhere fulltime, then that's what will happen. We'll start having the talks in 2023.

Comment

Funny, I was thinking this the other day. What current ME society could host an un protested WC right now?
                                                                                They do rank these things. But yeah, it's a pretty depressing link to click on.

Comment

The big revelation for me was around the age of 35/36, can't remember, when I retrained in data science. Did maybe 20 courses over the space of a year, and it so ridiculously enjoyable to be learning. Had spent so long giving out knowledge, without taking in new structured knowledge, that I'd grown stale. Its fucking brilliant to learn new things. Like this Chinese course I'm taking is mindblowing - just the whole different perspective on communication.

Comment

Interesting to look at the worldwide scores for that btw. Look at those smug Uruguayans beating us out of the top ten,

Russia with an appalling score of 20 (which has presumably gone down quite a bit since then) and Ukraine with a 'partly free' score of 60.

Comment

They do rank these things. But yeah, it's a pretty depressing link to click on.
                                                                                      I like that in the list of all countries, the USA (the land of the free) is only at #61 on the freedom rankings.

Comment

Question for finance folk . With the increase in tap payments as opposed to Cash. What are the pros and cons ? Is the money vaule the same or does the derect debit system simply make more money for the banks Via transactions charges etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                          Question for finance folk . With the increase in tap payments as opposed to Cash. What are the pros and cons ? Is the money vaule the same or does the derect debit system simply make more money for the banks Via transactions charges etc ?
                                                                                          Card transactions make more money for banks (and schemes) than Direct Debits

Comment

I like that in the list of all countries, the USA (the land of the free) is only at #61 on the freedom rankings.
                                                                                            They are potentially on a bad path although I would take a lot of encouragement from the pretty much total lack of election denialism in the recent midterms.
                                                                                            Their biggest problem isn't corruption or suppression of democracy imo, it's the almost total polarisation of their political system. The two-party setup was a massive plus for a long time but now looks like a huge structural weakness.
                                                                                            Cropped_LANDING_ONLY_FitW9_820px_United_States_Trajectory.png

Comment

(1) they're in very short supply
                                                                                              (2) quote to paint entire house was 13k
                                                                                              (3) I quite like doing it, very Zen, a bit like shuffling poker chips
                                                                                              Just finished this monster of a task (painting own house), saving a big chunk of €€€.
                                                                                              Doors and skirting boards are the worst.

Child #3, who elected to paint her room the shade of yellow that is in the Ukrainian flag, is now having serious buyers remorse but she can GTFO and live with it for a few years.

Comment

Its that time of the year when I need an imaginative present for the wife. Any great ideas that have occurred to people recently?

Comment

Just finished this monster of a task (painting own house), saving a big chunk of €€€.
                                                                                                  Doors and skirting boards are the worst.

Child #3, who elected to paint her room the shade of yellow that is in the Ukrainian flag, is now having serious buyers remorse but she can GTFO and live with it for a few years.
                                                                                                  You can use this to put some el tren emojis on her wall, perfect base colour. She'd definitely thank you for that.

Comment

Its that time of the year when I need an imaginative present for the wife. Any great ideas that have occurred to people recently?
                                                                                                    The top gift suggestion for wives on gifts.ie is Cluedo Scooby Doo edition. https://www.gifts.ie/for/her/wife

Comment

Massage chair is an interesting idea? Maybe that plus some sort of 'experience'

Comment

The big revelation for me was around the age of 35/36, can't remember, when I retrained in data science. Did maybe 20 courses over the space of a year, and it so ridiculously enjoyable to be learning. Had spent so long giving out knowledge, without taking in new structured knowledge, that I'd grown stale. Its fucking brilliant to learn new things. Like this Chinese course I'm taking is mindblowing - just the whole different perspective on communication.
                                                                                                        I was like this with aviation from 2016 when I took it up seriously. Couldn't get enough...learned easily a full BSc and MSc worth of material. Have been like that with various topics since I was a teenager...basketball, physics, materials science, poker, golf, flying, in that order.
                                                                                                        The plane is being collected by its new owner tomorrow and I'm permanent in work, which I wasn't before I bought it, so my plan for the first time is to try not obsessing over or deliberately learning anything (for a while at least).

With the kids, I just try to keep them structured and disciplined without academic performance being the be all and end all. I think the black box between parental input and child output isn't worth trying to figure out beyond that!

Comment

Should have set aside more than 20 minutes for this. Massage chair, some form of experience to individualise it a bit as the massage chair becomes a house asset rather than a personal asset, and a teppanyaki meal in Chaiyo for the shared time. What would be a good experience? Maybe making something. Like a chocolate making class. Or making perfumes could be interesting.

Comment

God I hate buying presents. As a person with zero creativity or imagination I should get an exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                              God I hate buying presents. As a person with zero creativity or imagination I should get an exemption.
                                                                                                              Same. It's not like as a society most of us gaze longingly through shop windows at common things that we'd love but can't afford yet might make an ideal treat as christmas presents. If we want something we often just buy it, or it is too expensive at any time of the year, or just outright silly and impractical (like the aforementioned massage chair).

Comment

Shirley this:
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

Card transactions make more money for banks (and schemes) than Direct Debits
                                                                                                                  Back to cash with me . I never have the euro to toss into a buskers bag anymore. Need to get rid of 10/20 cent coins though.

Comment

Anything creative out there to replace ironing ?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

I was like this with aviation from 2016 when I took it up seriously. Couldn't get enough...learned easily a full BSc and MSc worth of material. Have been like that with various topics since I was a teenager...basketball, physics, materials science, poker, golf, flying, in that order.
                                                                                                                      The plane is being collected by its new owner tomorrow and I'm permanent in work, which I wasn't before I bought it, so my plan for the first time is to try not obsessing over or deliberately learning anything (for a while at least).
                                                                                                                      !
                                                                                                                      I’m very similar, I’m either in or I’m out. I find it very hard to do something half arse or at least my perception of what that is.

Struggling to do 1-2 days in the gym for around 6 months but did 7 sessions a week for the 3rd week in a row.

Decided to relearn poker and bought a load of content and down an awful rabbit hole.

I do seem to have hit a point with golf at the moment though where I accept that I’m not good and can’t complain about it because I’m not putting in the work so even when I’m awful I laugh it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I’m very similar, I’m either in or I’m out. I find it very hard to do something half arse or at least my perception of what that is.

Struggling to do 1-2 days in the gym for around 6 months but did 7 sessions a week for the 3rd week in a row.

Decided to relearn poker and bought a load of content and down an awful rabbit hole.

I do seem to have hit a point with golf at the moment though where I accept that I’m not good and can’t complain about it because I’m not putting in the work so even when I’m awful I laugh it off.
                                                                                                                        Youd still beat me but i love being on a golf course so i park the embarrassment and just savour the round. Deffo hitting some in the west in 2023 . Played about 10 times in 2022 . Not great.

Comment

the diptyque advent calendar is a thing of beauty (if she likes candles, and they're some of the best candles you can get)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X