Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best team won. Wanted it more. A yard faster to every ball.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

FML – Backed the Argies to win it, got the Saudais in the WC draw in work (worst team gets a prize).

Ok, Let me try that key in the door again

Comment

Death stares from the Argie lady in work when we tried to cheer her up.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            14 minutes of overtime, when only 9 were announced?
            the injured saudi took about 5 minutes to get looked at and subbed. ref added the extra 5 minutes to extra time

Comment

I'm liking the realistic injury time (in both halves, prior tradition seemed to be max 2 minutes in the first half regardless of what delays there were). At this stage it clearly seems to be a directive rather than a couple of referees acting alone.
              Though it does raise the prospect of an NFL length game in the knockouts.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                I'm liking the realistic injury time (in both halves, prior tradition seemed to be max 2 minutes in the first half regardless of what delays there were). At this stage it clearly seems to be a directive rather than a couple of referees acting alone.
                Though it does raise the prospect of an NFL length game in the knockouts.
                *Misread the NFL remark.

I think there’s just too much ambiguity around the time.

If they’re gone that strict on VAR, it seems ridiculous that they haven’t made the time more clear cut.
                It has to move towards stopping time rather than allowing it run and added back later.
                Something similar to the NFL or NBA
                Last edited by Murdrum; 22-11-22, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

the injured saudi took about 5 minutes to get looked at and subbed. ref added the extra 5 minutes to extra time
                  ah. I didn't want to ruin it by actually looking at the match
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I said this about the then Ivory Coast manager back in 2015, now Saudi Arabia manager.

"The Ivory Coast manager looks like someone who 100 years ago would have been leading an expedition of mercenaries to pillage Equatorial Guinea."

Even his name being Renard adds to it, could be straight out of a Forsyth book and was actually a Bond villain name.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                      I said this about the then Ivory Coast manager back in 2015, now Saudi Arabia manager.

"The Ivory Coast manager looks like someone who 100 years ago would have been leading an expedition of mercenaries to pillage Equatorial Guinea."

Even his name being Renard adds to it, could be straight out of a Forsyth book and was actually a Bond villain name.
                      He was in Jamie Lanniser cosplay
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

It has to go there permanently. There’s just too much ambiguity. If they’re gone that strict on VAR, it seems ridiculous, they haven’t made the time more clear cut.
                        Game clock needs to be reduced to 60mins, so 30mins per half. And then they can have it stop start to look at things. Even now for the clearest of goals there is a VAR check for the sake of it eating into time.

As it is, 90mins is too long with all the stoppages.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Game clock needs to be reduced to 60mins, so 30mins per half. And then they can have it stop start to look at things. Even now for the clearest of goals there is a VAR check for the sake of it eating into time.

As it is, 90mins is too long with all the stoppages.
                          The NBA has a rule whereby you have a coaches challenge with 2 mins remaining in a game.
                          Tennis with the challenges too.

I’m not saying it’s apples to apples but I think a level of accountability on coaches/players to challenge at certain times and that frees up opportunities for something a little free flowing.

Like AJ said, if this is a more realistic representations of stoppages, all it does is highlight how bad the current system is

Comment

Denmark robbed
                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                              Denmark robbed
                              Payback for the viking pillage

Comment

I wonder if there is an edge now gambling on matches to have a goal scored late in the 2nd half. They are getting 6 to 10 mins extra in the 2nd half in this world cup.

Comment

Bye bye Ronaldo. Dont let the door hit you etc etc.

Comment

Easy game. Nervy start, was definitely scared of the banana skin

Comment

Was out with an Indian gent with a taste for top shelf whiskey. Watch him imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Was out with an Indian gent with a taste for top shelf whiskey. Watch him imo.
                                        Is this about golf?
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Only three and a half years to the World Cup lads. Exciting.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

East Wall situation could get interesting.
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

Benny was dead right.

Fuck this corrupt slimy joke.
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

One of the leeches that used to hang around mcgregor looking for millions for saying “you should do a whiskey”
                                                  hope he wins but at the same time what a gimp

A former close friend of Conor McGregor is suing him for millions of euro, claiming he came up with the idea for the mixed martial arts star’s hugely successful Irish whiskey brand.
                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Eldest gets her junior cert results today, looking very nervous going out the door.

I'd imagine she'll get out what she put in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                      Only three and a half years to the World Cup lads. Exciting.
                                                      David Squires continues to have the best commentary on it.

Comment

Got a hankering to play Elvis Costello as background music for today. What a songwriter.

Comment

Eldest gets her junior cert results today, looking very nervous going out the door.

What does she plan on doing?

I dropped out before my leaving cert and ironically now I'm going to be a teacher Leaving cert becomes more irrelevant as the years pass by, so good or bad she'll be grand.

Comment

At the end of the day (football cliché) it’s footie on the TV . I’ve not got to see many matches yet. I quite enjoyed France V Aussies. Some nice football in it. I’m looking forward to to when it gets super competitive and the English hearts are broken once again. I fail to see how me turning off the football will benefit anyone apart from the missus and the kids.
                                                            Does this have the magic of other World Cups. Well probably not sue to the background and resulting atmosphere around it. However a few did have an orgasm when the Argies lost yesterday.
                                                            Zero point in moaning about it now in November 2022. It is what is is. Enjoy the footie or don’t . I’m looking forward to it. The time for protest was when it was announced.

I hope Ireland doesn’t get it in the future with those British Soldiers found to be suppling the UDA. Etc . They haven’t gone away you know.

Comment

What does she plan on doing?

I dropped out before my leaving cert and ironically now I'm going to be a teacher Leaving cert becomes more irrelevant as the years pass by, so good or bad she'll be grand.
                                                              Well, topically enough, I'd say she would be ideally suited to teaching. She did some work experience in a primary school in Mayo last week and absolutely loved it. Runs in the family too, quite a few teachers in there.

And she will definitely be doing her LC, and will definitely be going to college. Covid really disrupted their whole learning for the JC cycle (think they are the first group in 3 years to actually sit the exams) so it'll be interesting to see how they get on. No harm to get a fright at this stage anyway.

Comment

Big night out for her tonight so!

Comment

Well, topically enough, I'd say she would be ideally suited to teaching. She did some work experience in a primary school in Mayo last week and absolutely loved it. Runs in the family too, quite a few teachers in there.

And she will definitely be doing her LC, and will definitely be going to college. Covid really disrupted their whole learning for the JC cycle (think they are the first group in 3 years to actually sit the exams) so it'll be interesting to see how they get on. No harm to get a fright at this stage anyway.
                                                                  Considering a grind school for the LC?

Comment

And she will definitely be doing her LC, and will definitely be going to college.
                                                                    Lets give it a miss this time, bbv gods.

Best of luck to her!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Considering a grind school for the LC?
                                                                      Potentially. Plenty of her friends already talking about it. Her school is very good in some aspects but not exactly over-demanding of the kids academically.

If that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do...so be it. Will defer that conversation until 2023 anyway.

Comment

Potentially. Plenty of her friends already talking about it. Her school is very good in some aspects but not exactly over-demanding of the kids academically.

If that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do...so be it. Will defer that conversation until 2023 anyway.
                                                                        All about them points innit.

Comment

[QUOTE=Solksjaer!;n1727588]At the end of the day (football cliché) it’s footie on the TV . That's one way of looking at it, for sure. Perhaps the most simplistic. It's also one of the biggest sporting events in the world, an opportunity for people of races, creeds, nationalities etc.. to come together. It's one of the shining beacons of capitalism, a commercial jamboree worth billions and billions of direct and indirect revenue around the globe. It's a maker of legends, stories, dreams, jobs, creative endeavour and a thousand other things. So reducing it to just football on tv, while not wrong, does everyone a disservice as we all know, intrinsically, the World Cup is so much more than that.

I’m looking forward to to when it gets super competitive and the English hearts are broken once again. Aren't we all, obviously?

I fail to see how me turning off the football will benefit anyone apart from the missus and the kids. Ah here... you understand the power of taking personal responsibility in order to change things. Better than most I'd have thought. Of course one person won't make a difference but collectively... well isn't that how everything changes?

Zero point in moaning about it now in November 2022. I'd suggest the exact opposite. FIFA is a weeping sore and Qatar remains a tyranny. Any opportunity to address this is one that should be taken. Particularly now the media is fully engaged.

It is what is is. A shrug of the shoulders... not my problem eh? Fair enough, we all have enough problems I'm sure and we can't all commit to every instance of injustice but this is a pretty easy, painless one to take a stand on.

Enjoy the footie or don’t. Absolutely. People have plenty of battles they can fight and do everyday. Choosing your battles is fine. I found not supporting this tournament and its sponsors a relatively easy one for me. Thankfully I'm not a migrant worker or gay or a woman in Qatar. Or, indeed, a footsoldier at FIFA, unable to look at myself in the mirror in the morning.

The time for protest was when it was announced. There was outcry aplenty. But protest on this scale was near impossible until the eyes of the world are coalescing around the event which is why the volume has been amplified and protest ramped up in recent weeks (and months it's probably fair to say). In order for protest to be successful it needs an audience to be moved by it, to create a critical mass of alternative understanding. And i believe that's there now. Plenty of people's perceptions of FIFA and Qatar and the broader issues at play here will be changed for the better forever and that's a good thing.

And hey, maybe they can still watch the football and be OK with that. I couldn't but if others can? Fine.

I've plenty of other battles of my own to fight and won't be getting my knickers in a twist about it.

Comment

Speaking of her school, they had a fella in to give a talk a few weeks back to the TY pupils. A mildly famous chap called Bono who attended the same place.

Neither my daughter nor any of her buddies had ever heard of him.

The school don't seem to put much store in the fact that U2 were formed there. Suspect they must have asked them for a donation and got knocked back.

Comment

I went to school across the road from there. Jammy gits not having to wear a uniform. There was a lot of oddly vacant looking characters going through those gates in the mornings...I didn't know what to make of them!

Comment

So many battles to fight Benni (autotune for example)

I’m not for one second defending the World Cup being held where it is. However we assume in the west that we are the custodians of all that is right and true. We are not. The Gay thing is of course an annoyance however it is their culture . I find their attitude to it abhorrent BUT again it’s offensive to them. Their culture (we don’t respect it fair enough) They need to develop morally as a country but that’s a WHOLE different story .
                                                                                The bigger BIGGER picture is where ever the world cup takes place the poor will always be exploited at the expense of the rich. This is prevalent in pretty much every country in the world.
                                                                                I understand your collective weighing point however does that really apply here. It’s not like a vote, it’s too late to effect anything by not watching it as I collapse by the TV in the evening. In fact I’d probably crack up if I missed a great game due to taking a stance I find illogical for me. The media protests about this occurrence will probably hit home to FIFA and perhaps the future hosting of the Event will have more stringent restrictions . Perhaps a % of the money raised/donated/bribed should be given to countries like Somalia where kids are dying from hunger (many battles to fight)

So who’s on tonight then?

Comment

RIP Wilko

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                    I went to school across the road from there. Jammy gits not having to wear a uniform. There was a lot of oddly vacant looking characters going through those gates in the mornings...I didn't know what to make of them!
                                                                                    We live close to the back gate (Howth Road). You must have been in that institutional-looking place on the Malahide Road?

I think it has a fairly well-deserved reputation for being accepting of alternative sorts.

Comment

Grinds are vital imo. The now-11-year-old has been having maths grinds for the last two years and it has done her wonders in terms of confidence in school as she was starting to say things like 'oh numbers aren't my thing'. Its all about intervening in those early years to build up confidence.

The best thing that ever happened to me, education-wise, was being held back a year in second year in secondary school when we moved from Dublin to Ennis. I ended up naturally going from being a C student to an A student in the repeat year because I'd done the whole year already. But - and this is the kicker - I was too stupid to realise that the reason I was getting A's was because I'd already done all the material before. Armed with that false confidence I then embarked on the remaining school years convinced I could do anything. Albeit this only resulted in a mediocre leaving cert, but that's beside the point.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                        One of the leeches that used to hang around mcgregor looking for millions for saying “you should do a whiskey”
                                                                                        hope he wins but at the same time what a gimp

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...-42166294.html
                                                                                        No idea what the full story is, has to be more to it.
                                                                                        But I wouldn’t class Artem as one of the ones who leeched off McGregor (there are many who did).
                                                                                        Artem was his sparring partner long before he was a millionaire. Had his own journeyman career, benefited from some KOs on TUF and being a meme. Not an elite athlete, but did the work.

Unlike some random scrote cling-on that thinks he a prizefighter by association.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                          Grinds are vital imo. The now-11-year-old has been having maths grinds for the last two years and it has done her wonders in terms of confidence in school as she was starting to say things like 'oh numbers aren't my thing'. Its all about intervening in those early years to build up confidence.

The best thing that ever happened to me, education-wise, was being held back a year in second year in secondary school when we moved from Dublin to Ennis. I ended up naturally going from being a C student to an A student in the repeat year because I'd done the whole year already. But - and this is the kicker - I was too stupid to realise that the reason I was getting A's was because I'd already done all the material before. Armed with that false confidence I then embarked on the remaining school years convinced I could do anything. Albeit this only resulted in a mediocre leaving cert, but that's beside the point.
                                                                                          For me, below would be the 3 key things in order of importance for a child to get through the JC & LC to a decent level.
                                                                                          • Guidance
                                                                                          • Age
                                                                                          • Grinds
                                                                                          It’s easy taken for granted(not saying you are btw) but not everyone has someone who can help them discern what is the correct path to take, what you require and how you get there.

Some parents simply don’t know despite their best intentions because it’s not something they’ve experienced themselves.

I don’t think the knowledge gap is as glaring anymore but imo it was a big factor until relatively recently.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                            FIFA is a weeping sore and Qatar remains a tyranny. Any opportunity to address this is one that should be taken. Particularly now the media is fully engaged.
                                                                                            But then just cancel Fifa and sport and turn off the gas and oil we buy from them.

There is a very sniffy colonial attitude to much of the coverage especially the meat of what the Fifa boss was saying.

Does soccer only belong in developed Western Nations?

I wonder if the reaction would look quite the same if there were games in for instance:
                                                                                            UAE
                                                                                            Ethiopia
                                                                                            Mali
                                                                                            Nigeria
                                                                                            Russia
                                                                                            USA

Don't get me wrong I am convinced the sporting boycott had more influence than any other single measure in bringing change to South Africa but was never going to achieve diddly on it's own.

Qatar is a medieval monarchy but it is a fundamentalist religious society and entitled to have the laws and social mores it follows, it's a tiny country that has disproportionate wealth and influence. We need their energy and we need to do business with them.
                                                                                            The question here is do we want the likes of Qatar to change and if we do how do we bring that about?

Comment

Score!

Just bought this poster from the Paul Daniels estate (yes THE Paul Daniels) signed by the mysterious and sensational Murray himself. Only £90 - should have gone for x3 that. People be clowns.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 13.21.33.png

The missus Debbie is flogging off all his collection today and tomorrow. Some rad stuff to be found if you're into that kind of thing. He loved to collect.

Anyway, Magic Murray was some character. From Raffles Hotel to Peking and old Bombay, from Hitler's Germany to Cairo and finally Blackpool Pier - he wowed them all!

He took over where Houdini left off and had some tales to tell, plenty of them tall I'm sure but what a lad. Thanks millionaire Paul Daniels for saving this for me.

PS... bought another random lot of 18 foreign posters (eastern European, south American, Asian) from the 70/80s with some interesting designs and hope to sell some of them them off and keep some that are of interest. Will probably give some away as presents at Christmas too.

PPS... RIP Wilko, another magician of a different kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                Qatar is a medieval monarchy but it is a fundamentalist religious society and entitled to have the laws and social mores it follows
                                                                                                I never thought I'd see you defending a fundamentalist regime best known for being the financiers of ISIS. Do they have a few nags in boxes down the road?

Comment

We live close to the back gate (Howth Road). You must have been in that institutional-looking place on the Malahide Road?

I think it has a fairly well-deserved reputation for being accepting of alternative sorts.
                                                                                                  A good old fashioned iron-fist CBS! Spent my entire school going years on Griffith Ave.

Comment

I honestly don't know why they don't do the armband thing and rotate captains for each game.

Yellows are cancelled after the group stages anyway

Comment

Sounds great. I'd be a huge advocate of the LC, I don't regret not doing it but it's just so much easier and opens so many more doors to have it. I'm sure she'll be fine then with people in the family to seek advice from and if she enjoyed the work experience, she's already half way there. Wp her

Comment

This is interesting, what it seems to me to indicate is that kids who have no interest of or understanding of recent history are buying the propaganda of SF/IRA hook line and sinker.

Anyone got the test of the Times article?

Comment

Comment

Konichiwa bitches
                                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              This is interesting, what it seems to me to indicate is that kids who have no interest of or understanding of recent history are buying the propaganda of SF/IRA hook line and sinker.

Anyone got the test of the Times article?

Makes you wonder about History doesnt it. I wonder what is being taught in Schools around the world. Especially UK .

Comment

This scandalous World Cup is delivering some EPIC minnow moments already.

Comment

Sounds great. I'd be a huge advocate of the LC, I don't regret not doing it but it's just so much easier and opens so many more doors to have it. I'm sure she'll be fine then with people in the family to seek advice from and if she enjoyed the work experience, she's already half way there. Wp her
                                                                                                                  I thought it was kind of strange that you wondered if a child of RDIII would go on to do the leaving cert or not. I imagine in RDIII's mind the question may not have differed much from "Are you going to send her to sweep chimneys now?"

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I thought it was kind of strange that you wondered if a child of RDIII would go on to do the leaving cert or not. I imagine in RDIII's mind the question may not have differed much from "Are you going to send her to sweep chimneys now?"
                                                                                                                    Yeah, my what does she plan on doing question was career related, not whether she'd drop out or not. I'd say that would be a fairly swift and frank conversation with her aul lad

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I’m sure one of his kids will rebel at some stage in the future , declare rampant heterosexuality and become a Bohemians regular at Dalymount.
                                                                                                                      I’m not worried about my kids rebelling, they have done it since birth. One of my kids does reverse abuse. Takes a great delight in rubbing his ‘tallywacker’ into by leg knowing the reactions he get’s . I worry about him for sure. I now know how the girlies felt in my Secondary School. It actually IS gross ladies, sorry about that. Not my fault , I misunderstood what a grind was.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                        I have stolen your gif for my own purposes
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I never thought I'd see you defending a fundamentalist regime best known for being the financiers of ISIS. Do they have a few nags in boxes down the road?
                                                                                                                          By his logic, he'd have no problem with Ireland reverting to the Archbishop McQuaid / DeValera era of the church running things and controlling the morality and what can/can't be done.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X