This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post

We did not win this competition. A guy who had a load of the pros like his stuff got over the line ahead of us.

But i was hustling hard and where there's a will there's a way. Won a package and will be playing the $10,400 WPT World Championship in the Wynn in 3 weeks time.

All the likes from here were appreciated. We were the closest competition to the winner which says a lot for some random Irish nobody.

Vegas baby!!
    ha, WP! Take it down and fund our transition to the metaverse.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

We did not win this competition. A guy who had a load of the pros like his stuff got over the line ahead of us.

But i was hustling hard and where there's a will there's a way. Won a package and will be playing the $10,400 WPT World Championship in the Wynn in 3 weeks time.

All the likes from here were appreciated. We were the closest competition to the winner which says a lot for some random Irish nobody.

Vegas baby!!
      Fair fucks. What does the package include? Entry and hotel for a few nights?

Comment

Fai play Dobby, good luck. Should be probably the softest 10k of the year outside the main event. WPT has been giving away a tonne of seats and pushing it very hard as they are guaranteeing something like $15m? They have been running a sat every Sunday on WPT global that has 8 seats guaranteed and it has overlayed 4 seats almost every Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

ha, WP! Take it down and fund our transition to the metaverse.
          Went into Horizon Worlds the other night, the new FaceBook metaverse. Jesus, they have really dropped the ball with that one - it either just makes no sense or feels like it was designed by a kid. I went into a comedy club on there and weirdly they have created a sense of distance from the comedian on the stage - why? Its a freaking digital world, you don't need to design in physical constraints. It felt like watching a puppet tell bad jokes, rather than having any real sense of presence. The next place I went to was a waterslide park, which was ridic basic and highly nausea-inducing. It all felt far too cartoony. We'll get there eventually, as we will undoubtedly spend significant amounts of time in metaverses in our future, but seeing the current state of the art was quite an eye-opener.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
            Vicar Street hosts Paul Brady, Andy Irvine, Donal Lunny and Kevin Burke for the next two nights. It's a covid refixture so long sold out but if anybody hears a whisper of a ticket pls give me a shout.
            There is someone offering two tickets on toutless yesterday. The thread seemed inactive for a good bit before his posts so they might not be gone if you PM him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Went into Horizon Worlds the other night, the new FaceBook metaverse. Jesus, they have really dropped the ball with that one - it either just makes no sense or feels like it was designed by a kid. I went into a comedy club on there and weirdly they have created a sense of distance from the comedian on the stage - why? Its a freaking digital world, you don't need to design in physical constraints. It felt like watching a puppet tell bad jokes, rather than having any real sense of presence. The next place I went to was a waterslide park, which was ridic basic and highly nausea-inducing. It all felt far too cartoony. We'll get there eventually, as we will undoubtedly spend significant amounts of time in metaverses in our future, but seeing the current state of the art was quite an eye-opener.
              Aren't the things within the world created by the users/developers? So someone actually built/owns that comedy club and is operating it like in this article? The limitations I guess come down to the technology currently. I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

If you're on campus today, one of their research engineers is giving a talk in Q120 at 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Aren't the things within the world created by the users/developers? So someone actually built/owns that comedy club and is operating it like in this article? The limitations I guess come down to the technology currently. I haven't tried it yet.
                  Yeah - it was his comedy club that I went in to.

Its definitely the tech. Very jarring to move around, all feels very childish. I think we realistically need to aim for a metaverse that feels like walking around a PS5 game, while at the moment it looks exactly like a Roblox game. I was wandering around to see if it was worth designing a place in there, might still do it, but the tech feels far too basic at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

If you're on campus today, one of their research engineers is giving a talk in Q120 at 12.
                    Ah that would have been interesting. Broadly planning to avoid campus for the next 10-11 months. Gave up my associate dean role, so now am going to concentrate on projects with a decent chance of external impact, rather than internal admin.
                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 21-11-22, 11:02.

Comment

Amazon is ridic fast now that they've opened the Irish warehouse. Something I ordered late last night is currently out for delivery. Happened a few times recently. Although they don't have everything in the warehouse, so some stuff still ships from the UK and that's two-day delivery. Must be brutal being a bricks-and-mortar shop competing with that!

Comment

Vegas baby!!
                        Congrats, great result.

Like OPR said, there seems to be a lot of interest in that event.

I know a couple of people going to Florida for a WPT and then on to yours the following week.
                        Definitely an Irish contingent will be there

Comment

Yeah - it was his comedy club that I went in to.

Its definitely the tech. Very jarring to move around, all feels very childish. I think we realistically need to aim for a metaverse that feels like walking around a PS5 game, while at the moment it looks exactly like a Roblox game. I was wandering around to see if it was worth designing a place in there, might still do it, but the tech feels far too basic at the moment.
                          Why the backlash against them though? It seems like you believe we will spend more and more time in these worlds as they get better in the future. The amount of first-mover advantage that meta is currently gaining is unquantifiable. They are also gathering tonnes of data on movement mechanics, types of interactions people prefer, events people gravitate towards, and a whole host of things I can't think of or comprehend currently. Then it is going to be a case of upgrading the look of the world as we go on top of all this data. I'm not sure Mark is as mad as people think.

Kind of relevant but also an aside. For competitive stuff like Chess and Poker online surely they should currently be at the forefront of trying to build platforms in these worlds. You are going to have the ability to monitor people completely while wearing the headset and also to monitor the environment with all the cameras inside and outside. You even have a 3D map of the playing area etc. It seems perfect as a setup to make cheating near to impossible within these worlds.

Comment

Why the backlash against them though? It seems like you believe we will spend more and more time in these worlds as they get better in the future. The amount of first-mover advantage that meta is currently gaining is unquantifiable. They are also gathering tonnes of data on movement mechanics, types of interactions people prefer, events people gravitate towards, and a whole host of things I can't think of or comprehend currently. Then it is going to be a case of upgrading the look of the world as we go on top of all this data. I'm not sure Mark is as mad as people think.

Kind of relevant but also an aside. For competitive stuff like Chess and Poker online surely they should currently be at the forefront of trying to build platforms in these worlds. You are going to have the ability to monitor people completely while wearing the headset and also to monitor the environment with all the cameras inside and outside. You even have a 3D map of the playing area etc. It seems perfect as a setup to make cheating near to impossible within these worlds.
                            Ah not really. I was just expecting that it would look better than freaking Roblox after spending many billions on it. Disappointed more than anything! Think there's definitely first mover advantage, and I suppose you would have to bet that meta will be there or thereabouts. Although I'd imagine the first proper metaverses will emerge from China / South Korea, as that's just where the innovation is happening at the moment in general. Might still try to set up something in Horizon, just as an experiment.

Comment

I don't know what a Metaverse is

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                I don't know what a Metaverse is
                                I think you can buy one with your Tik Tok blockchains, and get your change in bit coins. Not sure if I have the right adapter though so will see how HH gets on first.

Comment

Run like Jamie Gold Dobby . Good luck

Comment

jesus. Thats a garda on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      Hardly likely to change the minds of any of the fools who were foaming at the mouth saying that it's just a harmless line from a song but you would have to be really crass not to cop on to what it really means.

Vile.
                                      enjoy your 15 minutes as you fuck up your life.
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Applied to a springboard course to certify me to be qualified for a job I've been doing for the past 4 years.
                                        The fee of €450 is cheap, especially when you consider the other 90% is subsidised .

Great courses to be fair, i've previously done a lv8 NFQ H.Dip and this is a Lv9 NFQ Postgraduate Diploma.
                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

jesus. Thats a garda on the ground.

That exact spot in ballyer is like scum central, which is a shame as there is a great chipper beside it
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

enjoy your 15 minutes as you fuck up your life.
                                            Jesus Christ. What goes through some people's heads.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Fair fucks. What does the package include? Entry and hotel for a few nights?
                                              10k and 2k in expenses credited to my account so I can withdraw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                Applied to a springboard course to certify me to be qualified for a job I've been doing for the past 4 years.
                                                The fee of €450 is cheap, especially when you consider the other 90% is subsidised .

Great courses to be fair, i've previously done a lv8 NFQ H.Dip and this is a Lv9 NFQ Postgraduate Diploma.
                                                i've no doubt you'll reach new heights. Best of luck

Comment

Fai play Dobby, good luck. Should be probably the softest 10k of the year outside the main event. WPT has been giving away a tonne of seats and pushing it very hard as they are guaranteeing something like $15m? They have been running a sat every Sunday on WPT global that has 8 seats guaranteed and it has overlayed 4 seats almost every Sunday.
                                                  Yeah, we were hustling the free $550 satellite ticket giveaways. I ended up getting 4 tickets in the last few weeks so winning those was a bonus in itself. Always nice to get there and freeroll a 10k event considering the biggest game I've played so far has been the 500 quid game in killarney lol

they've literally been giving packages away for like and share competitions

i know at least 6 other irish, well known on here, going also.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

i've no doubt you'll reach new heights. Best of luck
                                                    A real bounce to my career
                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

A real bounce to my career
                                                      be careful you don't smack your head off the glass ceiling

Comment

And make a big splash afterwards too.

Comment

Great to be able to deep dive into learning.

Where's Icarus152 when you need moar puns
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Yeah, we were hustling the free $550 satellite ticket giveaways. I ended up getting 4 tickets in the last few weeks so winning those was a bonus in itself. Always nice to get there and freeroll a 10k event considering the biggest game I've played so far has been the 500 quid game in killarney lol

they've literally been giving packages away for like and share competitions

i know at least 6 other irish, well known on here, going also.
                                                            Clearly Twitter are doing something right.

I was going to ask you what was the path to get it, free $550 tickets is a ridiculous giveaway.

Comment

be careful you don't smack your head off the glass ceiling
                                                              One I heard recently: "It's not so much the glass ceiling as it is the sticky floor." [vomit emoji]

Loving the C26 weasel wording replacing "phase out" of coal-fired power, to "phase down". [double vomit emoji]
                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

One I heard recently: "It's not so much the glass ceiling as it is the sticky floor." [vomit emoji]

Loving the C26 weasel wording replacing "phase out" of coal-fired power, to "phase down". [double vomit emoji]
                                                                Until China starts behaving itself, we're fucked anyway

Comment

We shoudent even be at the table, imagine buying a derelict house, with no windows or roof....our contribution is a draft excluder for the, missing front door.
                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Clearly Twitter are doing something right.

I was going to ask you what was the path to get it, free $550 tickets is a ridiculous giveaway.
                                                                    I haven't actually logged onto WPT to see what the sats to the 550 are like in terms of numbers. You have to imagine if the main sat is overlaying by so much every week then the $550 sat tickets must be doing the same.

I only knew they were overlaying heavily as a bunch of US poker players who are sponsored by WPT have been playing them and winning tickets left and right and then giving them away as they can't play. Americans can't claim the ticket as legally they can't play online for real money but they can play the sat to give them away as a prize. Another reason so many giveaways are going on around it.

WPT also putting in loads of influencers, streamers, etc for free.
                                                                    Last edited by Opr; 21-11-22, 15:59.

Comment

Far less per capita emissions in China than most western countries, and one of the key ways the west has dropped its emissions is by shipping all its manufacturing emissions to China. Their emissions are largely export emissions - from producing the goods that we demand to buy.

ergo - we are the problem. We consume too much, we use too much. Its very much the case that we need to change here. Including massively reducing our consumption-driven society, something that is highly unlikely to deliver happiness in any real sense in any case. We all need to be a lot more Scandinavian.
                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 21-11-22, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

We shoudent even be at the table, imagine buying a derelict house, with no windows or roof....our contribution is a draft excluder for the, missing front door.
                                                                        If every country that was 'smallish' said that, we wouldn't have any change. There's 800m people living in smallish countries (20m population or less), and many of them are among the richest countries in the world. Those rich small countries, like us, have used our wealth primarily to export our emissions, rather than to reduce the global impact of our emissions. We're not playing fair.

To continue your analogy. Its a bit like derelicting a house and then saying that our contribution to fixing the dereliction we caused should only be a draft excluder.
                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 21-11-22, 19:25.

Comment

Speak for yourself on the bolder part not a fucking hope - only way I’ll be on it is if work force me at gunpoint haven’t seen a single interesting use case except if your a hopeless kidult consumer. Second life probably had comedy clubs

Fair enough there’s probably enough people out there who are so miserably disconnected from their surroundings that they will jump on this and think it’s great

Still hoping Zuck gets done in by his security in his bunker when the world goes to fuck thanks in part to his shitty platforms
                                                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Yanks outplaying and outworking Wales. The intensity and physicality have been impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                              Yanks outplaying and outworking Wales. The intensity and physicality have been impressive.
                                                                              Seems like the 'training by playing lots of golf' routine doesn't produce optimal results.

Comment

loads of empty seats pathetic

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Eir decided to open a new fiber line next to the gaff. Now they're going house-to-house offering two years of 400gb internet for €39 a month. A handy €30 off the monthly broadband. €100 credit also, meaning the first two months are free, and they pay the Virgin contract-break fee. The guy was saying they are on a massive push to get Dublin numbers, so maybe bear them in mind when it turns to switching season*.

Planning to do a big push on all the bills over December. We seem to have let all manner of leaks into our spending.

* every season is switching season

Comment

Seems like the 'training by playing lots of golf' routine doesn't produce optimal results.
                                                                                    The yanks just duffed a tackle . .

Comment

BBV tested and working to spec.

Comment

Bought a 50c penny sweet bag and there are three sweets in it. wtf.

Comment

Bought a 50c penny sweet bag and there are three sweets in it. wtf.

A tempenny bag
                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Eir decided to open a new fiber line next to the gaff. Now they're going house-to-house offering two years of 400gb internet for €39 a month. A handy €30 off the monthly broadband. €100 credit also, meaning the first two months are free, and they pay the Virgin contract-break fee. The guy was saying they are on a massive push to get Dublin numbers, so maybe bear them in mind when it turns to switching season*.

Planning to do a big push on all the bills over December. We seem to have let all manner of leaks into our spending.

I switched electricity on the first week of Jan a few years ago so coming up on that time again.

I was curious about how the credit works so FYI;

If you switch electricity supplier, the supplier you were with:
                                                                                            • On 27 October 2022 is responsible for giving you the first credit
                                                                                            • On 20 December 2022 is responsible for giving you the second credit
                                                                                            • On 27 February 2023 is responsible for giving you the third credit

A supplier can apply the credit to your closing bill or credit you back through the same method pay your bills.

Comment

400 GB a month i assume is your allowance and not the speed? if so, it doesn't sound like much. pretty sure i'd blow that allowance wide open every month currently, and in a year's time no doubt will have increased significantly

Comment

Having a massive pain with Eir at the minute. Moved into the new house 10 days ago. Had started the process of signing up for the internet before that but Sky had said they couldn't complete until we had possession of the house (understandable).

Get possession of the house. Sky can't do it because there's still an active line from Eir. Get onto Eir who say previous owner never cancelled. Get onto previous owner, says he had. Been back and forth like this ever since, letter from our solicitor confirming ownership etc., Eir saying it'll be another 9 days for them to sort. Positive was that it prompted me to review my phone deal with them and have moved to Virgin who have a €10 per month sim only deal at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

400 GB a month i assume is your allowance and not the speed? if so, it doesn't sound like much. pretty sure i'd blow that allowance wide open every month currently, and in a year's time no doubt will have increased significantly
                                                                                                  I would assume its a 500mb line, thats the deal im on, unlimited.
                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

I would assume its a 500mb line, thats the deal im on, unlimited.
                                                                                                    ah yeah. Still getting used to the internet lingo due to it only being 20 years old. 500mb speed, unlimited whatever.

Comment

Scenes
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Scenes
                                                                                                        Unbelievable

Comment

Prob a million+ bets being ruined.
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

God bless WFH, this is incredible

Comment

30 mins of pure shithousery coming up from SA

Comment

oh thats glorious.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                  30 mins of pure shithousery coming up from SA
                                                                                                                  15 minutes of injury time

Comment

This is great. Di Maria on the right side not working at all. Absolute heroics from the Saudis.
                                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Yer man must be dead

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                        Yer man must be dead
                                                                                                                        SItting up.
                                                                                                                        Those lads must be juiced to the gills

Comment

14 minutes of overtime, when only 9 were announced?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X