Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I discarded an O for comic effect

Oh jaysis yeah, forgot that.

Liked him too on Anderson Cooper..
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Assume you've read Boys Will Be Boys about the 90s cowboys team?
      I have. I wanted to listen to the new Pearlman. 'The last folk hero' about Bo Jackson. But it's not on audible UK yet. Nor is any Pearlman for some reason.

Comment

The whole Twitter thing is just mad. It's almost like he's engaged in some ludicrous prop bet to see how fast he can destroy $40bn.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

It can’t be that bad - these working class lads had the coin to fly over to quatar a few days early to support their team

https://youtu.be/TvS7wbEbdCc
          And they ALL like vindaloo
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I didn't ask for anything no, I just saw a new house a few hundred metres from me in town and was like oh yes. The developer built his own house next door at the same time and has a similar setup, so probably did it for both. I'd say both houses have the same materials and just a wall down the middle. I asked about internet and he said all rooms are wired with cat, I don't know if it is cat 5/5e or 6 so need to ask/check! I guess 5 since most people wouldn't have a clue or at least not care. Wonder what it would cost to upgrade it all to at least 5e if that was the case.

Now to try and find couches and beds and stuff. All furniture is gone but pleasantly surprised that the washing machine and the dryer stayed, thought they were for show too.
            Bit late now obviously, but when this place was built a little over 5 years ago, I had to specifically ask for cabling to be run to every room, so there are ports all over the place. that covered plate probably just is for coax I'd say, despite what you were told. Let us know anyway once you open to inspect it.

Comment

Speaking of....
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

You really would have to wonder about anyone who has decided to stay at Twitter. He's like a cross between David Brent, Trump and Ronaldo.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  The whole Twitter thing is just mad. It's almost like he's engaged in some ludicrous prop bet to see how fast he can destroy $40bn.
                  Nothing will happen to it though? So many people are nothing without Twitter. Anyone that is very active and has > 4k followers thinks the whole world is listening to them spout shite.

Comment

You really would have to wonder about anyone who has decided to stay at Twitter. He's like a cross between David Brent, Trump and Ronaldo.
                    People on work visas, people starting out, people who need the healthcare package.
                    I'd say there are a few reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Nothing will happen to it though? So many people are nothing without Twitter. Anyone that is very active and has > 4k followers thinks the whole world is listening to them spout shite.
                      That doesn't mean that (a) the platform will magically stay operational with no organisation to keep it alive, and (b), hordes of users won't just leave if it becomes an unmoderated cesspit.

Comment

That doesn't mean that (a) the platform will magically stay operational with no organisation to keep it alive, and (b), hordes of users won't just leave if it becomes an unmoderated cesspit.
                        I don't know. As Silver-Tiger says there is a whole lot of stickiness to that place, plus it is largely a news source for many people. I'd be much more of the perspective that it will trundle along regardless, unless they end up with a lot of outages. It is already an unmoderated cesspit.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'd guess it has had the least churn of users over the last 10 years of any social media platform. I just can't see it collapsing despite the office closures and people walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I don't know. As Silver-Tiger says there is a whole lot of stickiness to that place, plus it is largely a news source for many people. I'd be much more of the perspective that it will trundle along regardless, unless they end up with a lot of outages. It is already an unmoderated cesspit.
                            If the organization itself self-implodes, then the users won't have a lot of options.

Comment

For someone who hasnt a clue despite being on Twitter intermittently, how does it make money? I've never seeen any ads on it unless I'm completely immune at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                For someone who hasnt a clue despite being on Twitter intermittently, how does it make money? I've never seeen any ads on it unless I'm completely immune at this stage.
                                There's usually promoted tweets, $5bn worth of them last year. Although Elon's idea of getting people / companies paying for premium access (blue ticks) seems like it makes a decent amount of sense as it would generate more consistent cash flows.

Full business development plans here.

Meh, not sure about the whole thing. I would say its far more likely that twitter looks approximately the same in 2030 as it does now, than it either collapses or grows dramatically. Meaning the guy will have lost a fortune.

Comment

There's probably five solid social media 'pillars': private social networks, video, pictures, dating, news. They will probably stay as solid categories until things like metaverses start becoming serious in a few years and launch the next evolution of social media:
                                  • WhatsApp for private social networks
                                  • TikTok / YouTube for video content
                                  • Insta for pictures
                                  • Tinder for dating
                                  • ...what is there for news? I guess it needs to be twitter as there isn't a realistic alternative out there?

Comment

That's odd. The crypto ads were infuriating for a long time. I wonder what audience bucket they have me in? Well i don't wonder. Based on my follows you'd come to an easy conclusion that i like to punt so i'd be in a gambling audience. Never purchased Crypto, followed any crypto accounts or even strayed on to any crypto dedicated websites. Not surprised Crypto marketeers are going after that audience. Makes sense.

Comment

There's probably five solid social media 'pillars': private social networks, video, pictures, dating, news. They will probably stay as solid categories until things like metaverses start becoming serious in a few years and launch the next evolution of social media:
                                      • WhatsApp for private social networks
                                      • TikTok / YouTube for video content
                                      • Insta for pictures
                                      • Tinder for dating
                                      • ...what is there for news? I guess it needs to be twitter as there isn't a realistic alternative out there?
                                      Twitter seems to be it alright. The rest are too much effort like a Feedly or even Substack for specific interests.

I do think that Discord is quite good in the WhatsApp kind of space. I use that quite a lot now, mainly for Poker

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

And they ALL like vindaloo
                                        Quite decent of the Qatari authorities to ensure that the visiting fans won't have to suffer drinking Budweiser in their stadiums.

Comment

David Squires in really going to town on this joke of a World Cup. And he's right.

Comment

I thought some of the numbers here are pretty striking but not surprising.

Another headline of it was Ireland has 6 navy vessels which can’t be deployed together due to staffing constraints that is also getting worse as more people are moving to private sector.

Those vessels are responsible for managing 16% of EU territorial waters.

Also, can’t help but lol at him calling himself Dr Drea
                                            Last edited by Murdrum; 18-11-22, 14:13.

Comment

In support of all those poor fans at the world cup. I will not drink Budweiser for the rest of my life .

Also because its pisswater

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                I thought some of the numbers here are pretty striking but not surprising.

Another headline of it was Ireland has 6 navy vessels which can’t be deployed together due to staffing constraints that is also getting worse as more people are moving to private sector.

Those vessels are responsible for managing 16% of EU territorial waters.

Also, can’t help but lol at him calling himself Dr Drea

Think we're the only sane ones out there. Not to be wasting e.g. 2% of GDP (hmm at him using GDP as a comparison tool for Ireland) every fucking year like other countries on something essentially pointless. We instead spend the money on quality of life. Those deepsea cables are all highly monitored by 5-eyes in any case, as per the wikileaks leaks documents a few years ago. I can't imagine a fish could touch them without an alarm bell going off somewhere in the NSA.

Comment

Couple more vids where Swingtweaks makes an appearance if anyone is interested. If ye could comment on the vid it'd be awesome for the algo to push them. or give them a like, it'd be appreciated.

First one is a video creator from Leeds who is gonna be using the app to try an improve over the next little while.
                                                  Promo in this one is very well done imo.

Second one is myself and the channel owner narrating a match we played in a Member Guest tournament.
                                                  You get to hear me talk all sorts of shite in this one.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Think we're the only sane ones out there. Not to be wasting e.g. 2% of GDP (hmm at him using GDP as a comparison tool for Ireland) every fucking year like other countries on something essentially pointless. We instead spend the money on quality of life. Those deepsea cables are all highly monitored by 5-eyes in any case, as per the wikileaks leaks documents a few years ago. I can't imagine a fish could touch them without an alarm bell going off somewhere in the NSA.
                                                    You don't think recent events would point to a clear need to have a functioning military?

Comment

You don't think recent events would point to a clear need to have a functioning military?
                                                      No.

At best we would be nuked. Theres no logical route to invasion. Plus - and this is the key point - you want to live in a nice area, send your kids to nice schools, have a social protection network, and spending an extra €5bn a year on military equipment to rust away stops that happening. Our spending priorities are correct.

The one exception is the pay of people currently in the armed forces. Pay is ridiculously low. Everyone should have a decent wage, so would be delighted to see some sacrifices to make that happen out of societal fairness. But lets leave the big boy toys to the waster countries.

Comment

Theres no logical route to invasion. Plus - and this is the key point - you want to live in a nice area, send your kids to nice schools, have a social protection network, and spending an extra €5bn a year on military equipment to rust away stops that happening. Our spending priorities are correct.
                                                        I don't think anyone is talking about invasion. It's more the asymmetrical warfare that we need a deterrent for (just look at the pipelines Mad Vlad blew up off the Swedish coast).

Also, if we have it - we can always do as our fellow EU countries are doing and give it to the country that is actually being invaded by a brutal fascist regime. One for all, and all for one...if you think states whose arms donations are literally stopping Ukrainians from being murdered in their tens of thousands are 'wasting' resources, I suggest you rethink.

Comment

I don't think anyone is talking about invasion. It's more the asymmetrical warfare that we need a deterrent for (just look at the pipelines Mad Vlad blew up off the Swedish coast).

Also, if we have it - we can always do as our fellow EU countries are doing and give it to the country that is actually being invaded by a brutal fascist regime. One for all, and all for one...if you think states whose arms donations are literally stopping Ukrainians from being murdered in their tens of thousands are 'wasting' resources, I suggest you rethink.
                                                          Simon Coveney has made the point quite well that while there are all manner of countries donating arms, but there are almost none providing refuge in the same proportion as we are, relative to our population. I think thats as valuable a contribution. Our resources are being used well, not being wasted, we're just using different resources, and we won't have arms rotting in a shed like iodine tablets waiting for the next war in 30-40-50 years time.

Comment

And there are real costs to military spending. The UK has had to cut back on foreign aid to fund its military. Ireland proportionally gives far more foreign aid than the UK, vastly more than the US. We are doing our bit in our way - helping people to get back on their feet after disasters, intervening in the poorest countries to prevent poverty. Military spending is a choice, we've chosen a nicer approach with our resources that benefits more people.

Comment

That's odd. The crypto ads were infuriating for a long time. I wonder what audience bucket they have me in? Well i don't wonder. Based on my follows you'd come to an easy conclusion that i like to punt so i'd be in a gambling audience. Never purchased Crypto, followed any crypto accounts or even strayed on to any crypto dedicated websites. Not surprised Crypto marketeers are going after that audience. Makes sense.
                                                              Went and looked there out of curiosity and nothing, maybe its because i use desktop rather than App, I dunno.

Comment

Think we're the only sane ones out there. Not to be wasting e.g. 2% of GDP (hmm at him using GDP as a comparison tool for Ireland) every fucking year like other countries on something essentially pointless.
                                                                Nobody is suggesting we should have the military capacity to ward off a full scale invasion by a nuclear power. That would rank somewhere between idiotic and impossible. The 2015 and 2019 White Papers as well as the Report of the Committee on the Defence Forces all make very sensible and reasonable recommendations about Ireland's need to increase defence spending and to reorganise the armed forces to meet Ireland's modern needs.

As Murdrum says, we control 16% of the EU's territorial waters and yet we do not have over-the-horizon capabilities or even proper radar capabilities. Our air defence is entirely outsourced to the RAF, meaning we are in no sense neutral as our air space is open to military aircraft of another state. On that basis, in international law, we would have no grounds to deny Russia, China etc. equal access to our airspace.

But leaving all of that aside, we need massive investment in Cyber Security in the armed forces to protect vital infrastructure (see: HSE hack), a properly paid army (their wages are actually shocking), a navy that can reasonably patrol our territorial waters against smuggling, people trafficking etc. Within that we need sub-marine capabilities (not subs, just below water capabilities) to monitor internet and gas/oil pipelines. Even if you operate on the basis that we should never even consider defending ourselves against a nation-state level aggressor, surely we can all agree the need to properly maintain our sovereign territory in these ways? That requires a pretty substantial investment and it's one we should make.

It's also important to keep in mind that your argument about spending the money elsewhere is the equivalent of saying that nobody should have car insurance because they can spend the money better elsewhere. The whole point of an armed forces is to hope that you have it never need it rather than need it and not have it.
                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Went and looked there out of curiosity and nothing, maybe its because i use desktop rather than App, I dunno.
                                                                  The third tweet is always an ad? They are native ads. There's also an ad a piece in the 'What's Happening' and 'Who to Follow' segments at the side.

Can you find any winners in Dundalk?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

It's also important to keep in mind that your argument about spending the money elsewhere is the equivalent of saying that nobody should have car insurance because they can spend the money better elsewhere. The whole point of an armed forces is to hope that you have it never need it rather than need it and not have it.
                                                                    jaysus you have fallen off a cliff! Yesterday not understanding a high school maths measurement, and today making some shocking equivalencies. No, its not the same as saying nobody should have car insurance

The spending you outlined sounds good. As in, you have expressed it in terms of the personal benefit to us, rather than Raoul wanting to stockpile stuff in case there's another war. There is, I guess, a balance we need to strike between this and the other spending needs of the population. It has probably been too far down the list in the past and needs to rise to around medium importance. I struggle though to think of what new spending in the last budget (as the military spending would come from new spending) would have been better allocated to the navy. Definitely not the rise in child care support, the social welfare increases were needed for social protection. Maybe the increase in the tax bands as its more in a 'nice to have' category than a necessity. Will the 'squeezed middle' (hate that term) support non-inflationary band increases in return for a better military? Maybe.

Thats separate, of course, to military pay, which should be fair, and is shockingly low at the moment. Thats not a choice, more an obligation.

Comment

Could we get the spanish trawlers that patrol our seas so effectively in search of the merest hint of sealife, to pop a radar on their boats? We need to think creatively here. Why have Paddy do it, when Pablo is already out there putting in the hours.

Comment

I'm guessing you have adblock enabled (as any sensible adult does. If you turn off adblock you'll see the promoted tweets (they handily say promoted tweet at the bottom), but then obviously turn adblock on again.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I'm guessing you have adblock enabled (as any sensible adult does. If you turn off adblock you'll see the promoted tweets (they handily say promoted tweet at the bottom), but then obviously turn adblock on again.
                                                                          Aha, correct.

Comment

The third tweet is always an ad? They are native ads. There's also an ad a piece in the 'What's Happening' and 'Who to Follow' segments at the side.

Can you find any winners in Dundalk?
                                                                            Did a 7/1 place treble but first one at 6pm is drifting lake a barge so not so confident now

Comment

I must have set up a Twitter account at some stage ....it's permanently suspended for some reason without me tweeting anything ....not that I give 2F. Read a few that people put up here now and again.
                                                                              ​​​​​​
                                                                              Vague recollection of trying to set up a Twitter name along the lines of tweetymctweetface in honour of that boat naming competition

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                Couple more vids where Swingtweaks makes an appearance if anyone is interested. If ye could comment on the vid it'd be awesome for the algo to push them. or give them a like, it'd be appreciated.

First one is a video creator from Leeds who is gonna be using the app to try an improve over the next little while.
                                                                                Promo in this one is very well done imo.

Second one is myself and the channel owner narrating a match we played in a Member Guest tournament.
                                                                                You get to hear me talk all sorts of shite in this one.

Likes and comments added. Tory's swing looked like nothing could go wrong with it. Such a great club golfers swing. Compact and repeatable.
                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

He could probably sack about 80% of the staff and still function.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Likes and comments added. Tory's swing looked like nothing could go wrong with it. Such a great club golfers swing. Compact and repeatable.
                                                                                    Thanks you Tony! Massively appreciated.

Ah its incredible really, it looks short but he gets crazy depth and he's so consistent. +2 Cap ,just goes to show. There is no one swing.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

If it’s just for guys with guns then no but if the spend is heavily weighted towards cyber security then yes.

Comment

Pondering buying a console, Xbox probably. Best to wait til next year as seems like there's one due?

Comment

Cromwells horse in the 8.00 Fundalk

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                                            Glgl, on the Comer reserve nag. Even money top 4 seems generous, few bob on the nose.

Comment

Unless you give the name of the horse, this means nothing to 90% of us

Comment

Thank you Big Willie Shytle

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Unless you give the name of the horse, this means nothing to 90% of us
                                                                                                  Sorry about that
                                                                                                  my French is as poor as some of my tips

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                    Pondering buying a console, Xbox probably. Best to wait til next year as seems like there's one due?
                                                                                                    Didn't really notice all that much difference between the PS4 and the PS5 tbh. The big tech breakthroughs seem to be over for consoles.

Comment

Grr I thought was on that that earlier at 4.4 but must have forgot to commit it, no bet recorded
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

If it’s just for guys with guns then no but if the spend is heavily weighted towards cyber security then yes.
                                                                                                        We need guys with guns to look after the cables that facilitate internet traffic. We also need capital expenditure on ships, sonar, below-water capacity, and so on. And we need to pay them properly and use them properly. This isn't some silly wet dream for D4 rugby-dads. This is deathly serious stuff and the problem is that the vast majority of people won't ever accept how serious it is until it's almost too serious to even contemplate.

There's a good Aaron Sorkin line that springs to mind that I will paraphrase - when the things you take for granted, the 2 dollar things, stop working, that's when all hell breaks loose. A properly functioning armed services help to stop those things from happening.
                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Sorry about that
                                                                                                          my French is as poor as some of my tips
                                                                                                          Love your tips, but could find no horse called Cromwell

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

We need guys with guns to look after the cables that facilitate internet traffic. We also need capital expenditure on ships, sonar, below-water capacity, and so on. And we need to pay them properly and use them properly. This isn't some silly wet dream for D4 rugby-dads. This is deathly serious stuff and the problem is that the vast majority of people won't ever accept how serious it is until it's almost too serious to even contemplate.

There's a good Aaron Sorkin line that springs to mind that I will paraphrase - when the things you take for granted, the 2 dollar things, stop working, that's when all hell breaks loose. A properly functioning armed services help to stop those things from happening.
                                                                                                            Is there a military link in your family? Mam, Dad, Siblings or otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Love your tips, but could find no horse called Cromwell
                                                                                                              Cromwell is the trainer, horse won.

Comment

Kayroo is right. If ever there is a bin or a bus strike our valiant army will bail us out .

However if the Isle of Man ever attack we are fucked.

Comment

Cromwell is the trainer, horse won.
                                                                                                                  I decided to cease horsey backing. I always put the wrong key of two in my front door . I know i should mark them but too lazy plus i thought its 50/50 to get it right. I rsrely get the right one 1st . With this kind of running , no chance at the horsies.

Comment

Is it not pretty woeful behaviour, indeed the type of behaviour that might lead you otherwise to commit crime, to give birth to two children while out on bail when you know with a near-certainty that you will be sentenced to prison for maybe 10-20 years in the upcoming year? It seems almost psychopathic to inflict that on your poor kids.

A federal judge has sentenced disgraced Theranos chief executive Elizabeth Holmes to more than 11 years in prison for duping investors in the failed start-up that promised to revolutionise blood testing but instead made her a symbol of Silicon Valley’s culture of audacious self-promotion.

Comment

The big tech breakthroughs seem to be over

FYP.
                                                                                                                      so close to getting it- glad you’ve come around to my way

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

The Budweiser ban is one of the most beautiful moments I’ve ever seen in a major sporting event
                                                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Is there a military link in your family? Mam, Dad, Siblings or otherwise?
                                                                                                                          I thought the same because Kayroo captured nearly every point major that FP article made.
                                                                                                                          Outsourcing of our security to the RAF, those papers he referred to and cybersecurity concerns.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X