Clear All

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      Bought and paid for.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        A final commitment to the 'living wage' by the gov. They are going to rachet up to it over the next four years, but if it was set for next year it would be €26k minimum annual salary. Two minimum wage earners in a family and they're on over €50k. We've come a long way from the days of Roddy Doyle's Ireland. Fair fucks.
        Love this, and seeing how many people are being brought upwards, keep it up. Has some upward pressure for those above too when the floor is lowered.

Comment

Finally closed this evening!

SO8UxeKl.jpg
          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-11-22, 22:19.

Comment

Congrats Tar, delighted for you. Enjoy that buzz.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
              Finally closed this evening!

SO8UxeKl.jpg
              Welcome to a lifetime of homeowner problems!

Comment

What's the best Sports book people have read/listened to in the last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                  Across the River - I don't even like American football but there is some very good writing about it.

Also, on a more general American theme, liked Glory Days.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Across the River - I don't even like American football but there is some very good writing about it.

Also, on a more general American theme, liked Glory Days.
                    Top one downloaded there. Thanks a mill. Right up my street.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Welcome to a lifetime of homeowner problems!
                      I don't even know what a dozen things are let alone how to deal with them if something goes wrong!

Comment

UK budget statement today. It's looking pretty grim for them, with almost no flexibility to do anything except cut cut cut. E.g. most of the public sector are getting an effective 8% pay cut (11% inflation and 3% pay rise), when they are already quite low-paid. Even their personal tax system, which used to be far better than ours, is starting to turn far worse, when you factor in that everyone also pays significant council tax, and most people under the age of 30 are saddled with 8% extra tax due to their student loan scheme, and will be for quite a bit of their 30s also.

I wonder can we ride out the storm ourselves, in terms of retaining corporation tax receipts? A few years of maintained growth like we saw this year, allowing budgets like this year, and we'll have fully broken through the 'catching up' gap with our past. Just that sustained effect of consistently large public investment for a few years in a row.

We'd have the motorway network essentially finished, allowing a much bigger switch towards substantial public transport schemes like rail and light rail. We'd be finally on track with housing (long term demand is about 30k homes a year, and we'll do 28k this year, but there's a massive backlog of demand). We'd have the social care system much closer to Europe, especially in things like childcare.

It feels like, if we can keep it up, it would essentially be like when you move into an old house and need to spend loads of time on the core fabric of the house, but eventually you get to the point of choosing the light fixtures. That we'd be moving a lot closer towards the light fixtures stage if we can luck ourselves into a few more years of boom-time tax receipts.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I don't even know what a dozen things are let alone how to deal with them if something goes wrong!
                          Did you know the word homeowner has a 'meow' in it ?

Important to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Did you know the word homeowner has a 'meow' in it ?

Important to know.
                            Would have thought 'ow' was more relevant myself.

Comment

UK budget statement today. It's looking pretty grim for them, with almost no flexibility to do anything except cut cut cut. E.g. most of the public sector are getting an effective 8% pay cut (11% inflation and 3% pay rise), when they are already quite low-paid. Even their personal tax system, which used to be far better than ours, is starting to turn far worse, when you factor in that everyone also pays significant council tax, and most people under the age of 30 are saddled with 8% extra tax due to their student loan scheme, and will be for quite a bit of their 30s also.

I wonder can we ride out the storm ourselves, in terms of retaining corporation tax receipts? A few years of maintained growth like we saw this year, allowing budgets like this year, and we'll have fully broken through the 'catching up' gap with our past. Just that sustained effect of consistently large public investment for a few years in a row.

We'd have the motorway network essentially finished, allowing a much bigger switch towards substantial public transport schemes like rail and light rail. We'd be finally on track with housing (long term demand is about 30k homes a year, and we'll do 28k this year, but there's a massive backlog of demand). We'd have the social care system much closer to Europe, especially in things like childcare.

It feels like, if we can keep it up, it would essentially be like when you move into an old house and need to spend loads of time on the core fabric of the house, but eventually you get to the point of choosing the light fixtures. That we'd be moving a lot closer towards the light fixtures stage if we can luck ourselves into a few more years of boom-time tax receipts.
                              The problem is that we have very little control over that good MNC fortune. I'm amazed the recent tech downsizing news hasn't been analysed more in the media here. Like, for every tech job that goes - there goes (easily imo) 2/3 of a nurse\teacher\garda salary.

Comment

Would have thought 'ow' was more relevant myself.
                                Dont be a pussy .

Comment

Have to say the UK is a fairly depressing place these days. Prices are through the roof on everything, crime is getting way worse, politics are a shit show, and there's no real sign things will ever change. I know they will but seems a lifetime away at this stage.

Personally in a pretty shitty place due my my leg dragging on and on, and sick to death of my job where my division has been sold to a bigger and better competitor and we're being told it's all brilliant and will be even better, which means fuck waiting around for redundancies and get out of there before it becomes a shit show, and you're left holding the baby.

On that note, there is now a very good chance we're moving on to pastures new, and the more i think about it the better it feels. i really thought London would be our home until retirement, but looks like there may be an extra step before then, as my wife has been offered a new role in a foreign land. Currently in the process of negotiating the package, and if it's approved, off we go next summer. Eldest son will be off to uni, so we'd most likely be saying good bye to him anyway, although we were hoping he'd get in to imperial and live at home, and he's now said he'll apply to unis where we're going as there are a couple of great ones there too, and he'd be happy to move with us. And then there's the youngest, who's not too keen on moving as he's happy here, and loves his new school, but will do what needs doing for the family (for him anyway, the hardest part would be getting separated from his brother).

Only real issue i foresee is that i'm no spring chicken and not sure how many new jobs i'll be offered. Pretty sure i'll find one over there, but it's when we come back and i'm in my late 50s, how easy will it be then? Guess i'll just have to be a kept man at that stage. the wife will be able to afford it.

Comment

The problem is that we have very little control over that good MNC fortune. I'm amazed the recent tech downsizing news hasn't been analysed more in the media here. Like, for every tech job that goes - there goes (easily imo) 2/3 of a nurse\teacher\garda salary.
                                    Its better to have it and be trying to work out how to keep it, than to not have it and be trying to work out how to get it

We do have some 'control' imo. As in, we're such a strong global base on tech human capital, that that at least keeps us 'sticky' in terms of tech companies probably choosing Dublin retention over somewhere else deemed 'less critical'. Plus there are the IDA relationships, that tend to be quite long-term and personal, rather than purely transactional. Obv, if the whole world goes to shit, then we go to shit with it, but we're not quite a willowing flower at the pure beck and call of some guy in downtown SanFran. We have some social capital in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Have to say the UK is a fairly depressing place these days. Prices are through the roof on everything, crime is getting way worse, politics are a shit show, and there's no real sign things will ever change. I know they will but seems a lifetime away at this stage.

Personally in a pretty shitty place due my my leg dragging on and on, and sick to death of my job where my division has been sold to a bigger and better competitor and we're being told it's all brilliant and will be even better, which means fuck waiting around for redundancies and get out of there before it becomes a shit show, and you're left holding the baby.

On that note, there is now a very good chance we're moving on to pastures new, and the more i think about it the better it feels. i really thought London would be our home until retirement, but looks like there may be an extra step before then, as my wife has been offered a new role in a foreign land. Currently in the process of negotiating the package, and if it's approved, off we go next summer. Eldest son will be off to uni, so we'd most likely be saying good bye to him anyway, although we were hoping he'd get in to imperial and live at home, and he's now said he'll apply to unis where we're going as there are a couple of great ones there too, and he'd be happy to move with us. And then there's the youngest, who's not too keen on moving as he's happy here, and loves his new school, but will do what needs doing for the family (for him anyway, the hardest part would be getting separated from his brother).

Only real issue i foresee is that i'm no spring chicken and not sure how many new jobs i'll be offered. Pretty sure i'll find one over there, but it's when we come back and i'm in my late 50s, how easy will it be then? Guess i'll just have to be a kept man at that stage. the wife will be able to afford it.
                                      fuuuuck, that's exciting! Whereabouts?!

Comment

Sure we have a "rainy day fund" . Unfortunately, it's not a "goodbye inflated tech-boom returns" fund.

On a serious note, it still remains to be seen what's going to happen but it was a make-hay type arrangement. I hope that this tech contraction/correction or whatever they're calling it doesn't extend further. 2023 could yet be the year of growing lettuce on the windowsill.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Sure we have a "rainy day fund" .
                                          meh, theres always going to be a bit of a tradeoff on these things. Plus, we've massively ramped up infrastructure investment on the back of these receipts, which is probably a better way of spending the money than putting it in a savings account, as it generates better returns. In the same way as you aren't putting your surplus cash in a savings account, but rather into a stockmarket-led pension fund. Investment is usually always better than saving.

Things like investing €3bn in the national broadband network, meaning people can work from anywhere on the island, are vastly better long-term uses of money than having that €3bn sitting on deposit in the ECB. We could also say the same about the investment in reducing the cost of childcare, which has big returns in terms of the availability of mothers in the workplace.

Comment

fuuuuck, that's exciting! Whereabouts?!
                                            Geneva! boring i know, but at the same time we've become very outdoorsy people in our middle age. i'm in to Golf and wind surfing (i love to ski also but sadly with my leg, it's just not an option anymore), wife's into open water swimming and skiing, and the son is into rock climbing, mountain biking, and although he's never tried it yet, i have no doubt he'll absolutely love skiing/snowboarding, so being less then 30 minutes from the nearest ski lift, and 10 minutes from the nearest lake access point, is going to be pretty cool!

Comment

Geneva! boring i know, but at the same time we've become very outdoorsy people in our middle age. i'm in to Golf and wind surfing (i love to ski also but sadly with my leg, it's just not an option anymore), wife's into open water swimming and skiing, and the son is into rock climbing, mountain biking, and although he's never tried it yet, i have no doubt he'll absolutely love skiing/snowboarding, so being less then 30 minutes from the nearest ski lift, and 10 minutes from the nearest lake access point, is going to be pretty cool!
                                              Lovely. Some decent unis around there also. I guess Lyon could even be considered.

Comment

Is your wife French as well Shrap?

Comment

Its better to have it and be trying to work out how to keep it, than to not have it and be trying to work out how to get it

We do have some 'control' imo. As in, we're such a strong global base on tech human capital, that that at least keeps us 'sticky' in terms of tech companies probably choosing Dublin retention over somewhere else deemed 'less critical'. Plus there are the IDA relationships, that tend to be quite long-term and personal, rather than purely transactional. Obv, if the whole world goes to shit, then we go to shit with it, but we're not quite a willowing flower at the pure beck and call of some guy in downtown SanFran. We have some social capital in the game.
                                                  Yes, of course. And, to your point, we've been decades in this game now without it all falling apart.

It's the concentration of tax revenue (literally 10 tech and bio companies contribute over half) that represents the biggest risk. And the high earners that work for the MNCs contribute well over half of all income taxes, hence my comment about tech downsizing.
                                                  We've actually narrowed our tax base since the crash. That's scary.

Comment

Seem to be in a minority here but I thing Banshees of Inesherin is seriously overrated
                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                      Is your wife French as well Shrap?
                                                      yes she is

Comment

Lovely. Some decent unis around there also. I guess Lyon could even be considered.
                                                        best one seems to be zurich eth, but you're expected to speak German there so fuck that!! going to aim for ecole polytechnique de lausanne . know anyone there who could help?

Comment

I know its still far better than here, but that's a tough cut.

The annual exempt amount for capital gains tax will be cut from £12,300 to £6,000 next year and then to £3,000 from April 2024

Comment

Just looking at the disposable income here of the median household its, give or take a few quid, no change in two decades. There hasn't been an increase in household income in two freaking decades.

Edit: Ireland over the same period had a 36% increase in median household income. 20 years ago we were just slightly above the UK, now about 40% higher.
                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-11-22, 13:07.

Comment

I know its still far better than here, but that's a tough cut.
                                                              that is a tough cut, but at the same time, there is a great ISA here (20k per annum)with no CGT, and no CGT on your main property

Comment

that is a tough cut, but at the same time, there is a great ISA here (20k per annum)with no CGT, and no CGT on your main property
                                                                ah - thats separate to the ISA? Okay, carry on so. Man, wish we had an ISA scheme here.

Comment

Just looking at the disposable income here of the median household its, give or take a few quid, no change in two decades. There hasn't been an increase in household income in two freaking decades.

Edit: Ireland over the same period had a 36% increase in median household income. 20 years ago we were just slightly above the UK, now about 40% higher.
                                                                  Surely that is a *deeply* misleading stat? I don't know exactly how the median income is calculated so could be wrong here but surely if the high end income rises but the lower end of the scale remains static then the median income rises despite it having no real impact on the overwhelming majority of people?
                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Yes, of course. And, to your point, we've been decades in this game now without it all falling apart.

It's the concentration of tax revenue (literally 10 tech and bio companies contribute over half) that represents the biggest risk. And the high earners that work for the MNCs contribute well over half of all income taxes, hence my comment about tech downsizing.
                                                                    We've actually narrowed our tax base since the crash. That's scary.
                                                                    If the recent report from the Commission on Taxation and Welfare is anything to go by we won't be mitigating the dependency anytime soon. The recommendations seem quite wishy washy and mainly targeted at Joe public. Tar will be happy to hear that relief from capital gains tax from the sale of a principal private property is recommended to be restricted.
                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Surely that is a *deeply* misleading stat? I don't know exactly how the median income is calculated so could be wrong here but surely if the high end income rises but the lower end of the scale remains static then the median income rises despite it having no real impact on the overwhelming majority of people?
                                                                      The median would be the person in the middle of the sample. If the bottom stays the same and the high end increases that doesn’t necessarily mean the median will rise.
                                                                      The average would rise in that instance but median would be more indicative of a rising tide lifts all boats scenario.

Comment

Yeah. Median is the correct stat. Its the mean, or average, measure that is skewed by very high incomes (the thing you are talking about). The median person is literally the person right bang in the middle. Its precisely the measure that you use when you don't want to be 'misleading'.

Edit: A decent TheJournal fact-checking article addressing the precise point.
                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-11-22, 14:12.

Comment

That tweet and article got a lot of traction a few months ago.

Pretty sure it was shared here and Noahpinnion (Noah Smith) wrote a piece on it about the headline being misleading but irrespective of the narrative it’s interesting to see how different segments of societies are better or worse than others.

He quoted McWilliams too and highlighted Ireland so we’re in there somewhere.

Yeah that’s us:

Last edited by Murdrum; 17-11-22, 14:34.

Comment

Top one downloaded there. Thanks a mill. Right up my street.
                                                                            Assume you've read Boys Will Be Boys about the 90s cowboys team?
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Wasn't until I spent two years in Preston, drinking with the locals, that I fully understood what poverty is like in the UK for people at the lower extremes. It is grindingly awful. No escape from it either. The rise in the minimum wage over there though must be doing some good, as its quite decent now.

Comment

What ever happened to RDIII's New World prospective move?

Comment

Why are sockets so far up walls in houses now? Each room has this. I'm guessing my Cat5 is behind the blank panels and I'll have to replace the panel etc and wire it up. It'll look silly to have all the wires coming down in rooms?!

AUWc1ZGl.jpg

Comment

Shrap, I wouldn’t be overly worried about your age. You don’t have to put in on any job applications . Also there are some selling points in being a new mature employee.

Good luck with the leg, I’d say the added annoyance of that is tempering the excitement in living in a new City. Well timed too, the UK is imploding . They Brexecuted themselves.
                                                                                    Yer man Farage looks like a rejected Spitting Image Puppet.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                      What ever happened to RDIII's New World prospective move?
                                                                                      I got a better offer and stayed. Still somewhat regretting it though.

Comment

Why are sockets so far up walls in houses now? Each room has this. I'm guessing my Cat5 is behind the blank panels and I'll have to replace the panel etc and wire it up. It'll look silly to have all the wires coming down in rooms?!

AUWc1ZGl.jpg
                                                                                        They're not if correctly placed.. We just had the place rewired and they are all down where you would expect them.

Comment

Last spamming of this competition before the weekend. They're taking "engagement" into account when announcing the winner and we sit top of the pile so far. A like would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks to the IPB heads that already liked it.

SPOILER

Comment

AUWc1ZGl.jpg
                                                                                            We got one like that in extension purely for wall hung TV so no wires visible, hardly that?

Comment

Yeah I guess it's to allow for a tv in each bedroom, so there's likely a coax in there, so probbaly good for tv and just shite for my ethernet cables. Will bring over a screwdriver and have a gawk.

Comment

Sockets in our new living room are that high, it was our old kitchen. Thought about dropping them but was easier to just leave where they were.

One set will be handy for the TV though.

Comment

Every town is a sports town is pretty good - story of how ESPN was built. Also enjoyed Richie Sadlier’s book recovering.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

We got one like that in extension purely for wall hung TV so no wires visible, hardly that?
                                                                                                    That's it. My mate had a new build like this. Coax behind the blank plates for living room, kitchen and master bedroom.

Tar.Aldarion - It wouldn't be normal for the gaff to come cat6. Did you get the house re-wired and ask for Cat6 in it?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

That's it. My mate had a new build like this. Coax behind the blank plates for living room, kitchen and master bedroom.

Tar.Aldarion - It wouldn't be normal for the gaff to come cat6. Did you get the house re-wired and ask for Cat6 in it?
                                                                                                      I didn't ask for anything no, I just saw a new house a few hundred metres from me in town and was like oh yes. The developer built his own house next door at the same time and has a similar setup, so probably did it for both. I'd say both houses have the same materials and just a wall down the middle. I asked about internet and he said all rooms are wired with cat, I don't know if it is cat 5/5e or 6 so need to ask/check! I guess 5 since most people wouldn't have a clue or at least not care. Wonder what it would cost to upgrade it all to at least 5e if that was the case.

Now to try and find couches and beds and stuff. All furniture is gone but pleasantly surprised that the washing machine and the dryer stayed, thought they were for show too.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-11-22, 17:53.

Comment

Who has been posting on here shilling crypto to our unsophisticated user base?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Wasn't until I spent two years in Preston, drinking with the locals, that I fully understood what poverty is like in the UK for people at the lower extremes. It is grindingly awful. No escape from it either. The rise in the minimum wage over there though must be doing some good, as its quite decent now.
                                                                                                          The lifestyle of the working poor in the UK seems to be especially grim and devoid of craic all the more so since the destruction of the mining and industrial communities since the '80s

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                            Who has been posting on here shilling crypto to our unsophisticated user base?
                                                                                                            Just watched the Larry David ad for the first time. Pretty slick.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The lifestyle of the working poor in the UK seems to be especially grim and devoid of craic all the more so since the destruction of the mining and industrial communities since the '80s
                                                                                                              It can’t be that bad - these working class lads had the coin to fly over to quatar a few days early to support their team

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

This is so brilliant. Watch it first time focusing on guy top left, but then watch again focusing on all the different reactions. The dude in the bottom left corner, lol.

Comment

99.9% that's a fake 'Doing a Tobin'

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1727364&d=1668722241&type=thumb I like this .
                                                                                                                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 17-11-22, 22:09.

Comment

99.9% that's a fake 'Doing a Tobin'
                                                                                                                      Please clarify for others that 'Doing a Tobin' doesn't mean wanking on zoom, or any form of guy getting caught wanking.

Unless it's some other Tobin

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Please clarify for others that 'Doing a Tobin' doesn't mean wanking on zoom, or any form of guy getting caught wanking.

Unless it's some other Tobin
                                                                                                                        I discarded an O for comic effect

Comment

I discarded an O for comic effect

This video is from back then, no?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X