This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Yeah thought Lao Lao was trying to send me to the gym. I get it now.

Hoi An is on the list.

Nha Trang was deserted when we were there, so was just drinking cocktails on an empty beach and going out on a boat viewing great scenery, was very pleasant.
    Maybe I'm harsh on Nha Trang but when I was there;

The local lads were super aggressive in trying to sell you drugs and they had a vibe off them that once they sold you the drugs, they'd be shopping you into the police and getting a kick back.

We met an Irish girl travelling on her own on the way to Nha Trang and found out it was her birthday so me and my mates said we'd take her out for the night, can't be celebrating your birthday on your own. She went from being a nice sweet girl to an absolute mental case after drink was consumed to the point that we had to physically carry her home to her hotel. And then as we left her there, she decided to come back out to the street to have a piss (I kid you not) which resulted in me having to fend off two local tuk-tuk drivers who thought she was fair game for a gang bang as she was squatting having a piss in the middle of the street.

The whole Tim Roth being a condescending cunt episode.

The owner of our hotel being a bit of a psycho bitch

The boat booze cruise we went on was grim

Yeah, maybe I'm not being harsh on Nha Trang after all

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      If you want to learn to code, try and figure out a problem / thing that you want to build / automate and just drag yourself through it.
      100% this.
      A large part of learning is trying to come up with a problem to solve.
      The amount of times I've written a python thing line by line then later came back to it and changed from a 200 line thing to a 50 line thing is unreal.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah if you're getting more into the nitty gritty side of things. You're 100x more motivated and you internalise it much better when you build it from scratch, end to end yourself.

Good to add to GitHub too. I interviewed a guy that claimed python as a skill, but his GitHub had been dormant for two years.

It's just a general useful skill to have, if you're doing any sort of analysis or work that can be automated.
        I'm not sure about the Github thing.
        I keep most of my work on a corporate github, I've published rare things I think other people might like to rob, things like realex integration/ tokenization of credit cards via api/redundancy calculators/ covid things or somesuch
        but most of the time, I couldnt be arsed publishing my fpl api stuff or silly games I've written for my daughter as a million other people have done that (and my code replicates it) and I'm too tired to rewrite stuff I can easily use to do what I need outside of work
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

my github has entries in 2015 & 2020 and that's it - not sure dormant github means anything tbh - though I certainly wouldn't have mine on my CV if I were interviewing. I'd make certain that if I was sending people the link I had actually done something / showed some progress. Having a log of people's changes through, and being able to see their thought process on the struggle through the problem is a genuinely excellent resource when it comes to hiring.

Just a shame markdown sucks. Most of my pushs are "fixed x" rather than a deep dive.
          Though that is probably a me problem

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

My job title is under discussion to be changed to 'EMEA Lead, Risk Analytics", never done anything more than a basic introduction to SQL. Constantly having to tell people i'm not a 'data guy' (after I present a load of data)

That's super common.
            My current role, the startup I was talking about a while back, we spend a lot of time talking to MGA's and brokers about their data and while there are a few excel wizards, very few are actually doing a lot with their data.
            Very good at discussing the sausage but little knowledge of the pig or other cuts potential

Comment

Jesus online poker is an absolute sewer. You not only have to worry about players using real-time assistance against you but it turns out many of the sites themselves are using massive bot rings.

• One of their business models is the so-called "eco-room". The idea is that the bot uses different strategies against regular and recreational players so that the latter wins and the former loses. The goal is to maximize the poker site's profit. They sign contracts with poker sites.
              • Their bots can beat the highest stakes and the toughest pros like LLinusLove, RedBaron etc. (considering these people don't use bots themselves). The bots are used to play the most expensive games in Asian apps.
              One of the admins on 2+2 posted the above on this thread yesterday.

Comment

I'd say Dice is completely engrossed in all the programming chat...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'm not sure about the Github thing.
                  I keep most of my work on a corporate github, I've published rare things I think other people might like to rob, things like realex integration/ tokenization of credit cards via api/redundancy calculators/ covid things or somesuch
                  but most of the time, I couldnt be arsed publishing my fpl api stuff or silly games I've written for my daughter as a million other people have done that (and my code replicates it) and I'm too tired to rewrite stuff I can easily use to do what I need outside of work
                  What's your FPL api stuff? Might give me a bit of inspiration

Comment

It's actually been a bit of a cavalcade of good news this week.
                    • Trump getting ripped a new one
                    • GOP generally underperforming
                    • RuSSia running away across the Dniepro from Kherson
                    • US inflation sharply down

The centre holds!
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Ari Shaffir's hour and a bit 'Jew' is better than most of the comedy specials that have come out this year imo.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

What's your FPL api stuff? Might give me a bit of inspiration
                        To save my typing it's basically this but with some bias weighting on my part

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I'd say Dice is completely engrossed in all the programming chat...
                          Amazing insights, i would add to them but its already been covered. Funny enough my best buddy is as bad as me but from what i tell from his ramblings in the pub last week has just got some top job as head of Micrsoft Ireland or Europe or some other title

Comment

The FTX story just keeps growing and getting weirder.

Great for Michael Lewis who was already following SBF for a new book about crypto. He's really luckboxed into a massive best seller.

Comment

The FTX story just keeps growing and getting weirder.

Great for Michael Lewis who was already following SBF for a new book about crypto. He's really luckboxed into a massive best seller.
                              Is this a reference to the shitcoins that are now being allowed to prop up the exchange or something else?

How is the shitcoin thing working? They are allowing these select customers to deposit and withdraw to provide liquidity to select shitcoins. They deposit shitcoins that they bought outside the exchange for let's says 10cent each and then sell the shitcoins on the exchange for 5x, 10x that price where they are massively overinflated )because they are allowing withdrawals in general for these select shitcoins forcing customer to take pennies on the dollar. I am trying to clarify it in my own head because I am only reading about it since your post and the whole thing seems so insane.

Comment

Anyone who has been around Crypto for a while should get a good laugh from this

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Amazing insights, i would add to them but its already been covered. Funny enough my best buddy is as bad as me but from what i tell from his ramblings in the pub last week has just got some top job as head of Micrsoft Ireland or Europe or some other title
                                  I'm always saying that my lifetime ambition is to be promoted so highly that I don't know what's going on. Sounds like he may have made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    Although at least that enormous geebag Lauren Boebert seems like she is going to lose her seat. Would have been a fun one to be against as I think she was a 1/20 shot!
                                    Boo, seems like she may have sneaked it in a photo finish.

Comment

Kherson City is Ukrainian again.

That is such a bad look for a dictator:
                                      • Invade sovereign neighbour...check
                                      • Commit innumerable war crimes...check
                                      • Seize strategic province....check
                                      • Hold fake referendum...check
                                      • Declare province Russian for ever., hold elaborate ceremony....check
                                      • Run away in panic, abandoning city in chaos...ehhh, not so good

Comment

I mean, seriously, what a great week.
                                        The two biggest scumbags in the world get utterly humiliated. It doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

I mean, seriously, what a great week.
                                          The two biggest scumbags in the world get utterly humiliated. It doesn't get much better than that.
                                          Could have done with a little bit more of a setback for Trump. I doubt that he'll be heading off the pitch anytime soon.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Could have done with a little bit more of a setback for Trump. I doubt that he'll be heading off the pitch anytime soon.
                                            It’ll be interesting to see if he says FU to the GOP and declares before the Georgia run-off or he does what he’s told and holds off getting directly involved.

Apparently they want him to stay in Florida and raise as much money as possible to push Walker over the line all while staying quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

He is really diminished and lashing out in even more indiscriminate fashion than usual.

I think the fear factor is gone too within the GOP. Loads of them laying into him, beautiful to see.

Trump Is Toast.

Comment

Goddamn pesky free press! Can't we just throw them out a window?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                  Apparently they want him to stay in Florida and raise as much money as possible to push Walker over the line all while staying quiet.
                                                  Which tells you exactly what the GOP leadership think of Trump now - electoral liability.

Fortunately for our entertainment purposes, there is zero chance of him doing that.

Comment

Kherson City is Ukrainian again.

That is such a bad look for a dictator:
                                                    • Invade sovereign neighbour...check
                                                    • Commit innumerable war crimes...check
                                                    • Seize strategic province....check
                                                    • Hold fake referendum...check
                                                    • Declare province Russian for ever., hold elaborate ceremony....check
                                                    • Run away in panic, abandoning city in chaos...ehhh, not so good
                                                    Don’t forget stopping newly annexed, and saved neighbours at the border and refusing them entry into the Motherland.

The protector of Donblas.

Comment

He is really diminished and lashing out in even more indiscriminate fashion than usual.

I think the fear factor is gone too within the GOP. Loads of them laying into him, beautiful to see.

Trump Is Toast.
                                                      Im shocked its taking so long to toast the odious sneery hog.
                                                      Putin getting humiliated is nice but a bit scary. If he is not taken out by his own , he might employ a nasty city flattening weapon. Big winter brewing.

Comment

Might do the Marathon next year. Who is with me.
                                                        A member of the Garda Anti-Corruption Unit has been accused of using public transport to complete the Dublin city marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Im shocked its taking so long to toast the odious sneery hog.
                                                          Putin getting humiliated is nice but a bit scary. If he is not taken out by his own , he might employ a nasty city flattening weapon. Big winter brewing.
                                                          Maybe. On the positive side he hasn’t done it yet even though Ukraine have now entered ‘Russian territory’

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Maybe. On the positive side he hasn’t done it yet even though Ukraine have now entered ‘Russian territory’
                                                            He's been told in no uncertain terms what happens if he does (by both the US, and possibly more importantly by the Chinese).

Comment

How long have you spent at your workplace.
                                                              Or what was the longest at any workplace?
                                                              Just finished up after 7.5 years in the EPA and I'm totes emosh.
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Nice to see the anti-Qatar World Cup activity ramping up. Don't think it's a very good idea for that English couple to go there flaunting their rainbow gear though. That's an ass-slapping waiting to happen.

So lovely to see the corporate-punk tyrants at BrewDog's bandwagon jumping campaign is coming back to slap them round their greedy chops. Even worse is that they're trying to snitch out other brands as a defensive move. Wouldn't want to be on their comms team at the minute.

Bloody pond life.
                                                                Last edited by BennyHiFi; 11-11-22, 17:05.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

TMP Engineer here at Salesforce. Let me know if you're in Sandyford office some day, we can go for coffee and you can pick my brain
                                                                  Ah, sweet. I haven't been in an office in Dublin since January 2020 and was working from home pre-covid. My team is London-based and I sell into the UK so I'm either over there or in my home office. Will likely spend some time in the new office from February though, looks fantastic. Will you be moving there too? Are they closing Sandyford?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                    Just crossed 10 years and will suck when I leave! contrats/commiserations

Comment

Deadly! Im a job hopper, longest was 3 years.

What are you most proud of? What do you think your biggest achievement was in those 7 years.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is pretty life-affirming to see. Liberation. Hopefully Mariupol next and Putin dead in a ditch somewhere.

Comment

15 years in msft. Knew Billg when he was just a millionaire.

Comment

This is a cracking offer on Sorare, free to play World Cup mode with some mental prizes on offer.
                                                                            Messi signed on as a brand ambassodor the other day, so lots of messi related things as well.

If you do decide to dip your toes,sign up using my link please. We bought get a card when you pick up 5 on auction.
                                                                            Collect, play and win officially licensed digital cards featuring the world's best global football, NBA and MLB players.

You don't have to buy anything for the world cup mode though!

Comment

Elon suspends his pay blue check mark scheme a day after it launched

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                Elon suspends his pay blue check mark scheme a day after it launched

An absolute clusterfuck. Pepsi on saying Coke is better, George W Bush on saying he's itching to kill Iraqis, Tony Blair quote tweeting him, big drug companies saying free drugs for 24 hours.

Advertisers running miles away.

He obv pulled the whole stunt just to troll celebrities , how tf was there nobody in that boardroom with the brains enough to know this would happen.

The best though was Tesla tweeting that they were sending 10000 cars to Ukraine as they're the worlds best explosive device.

Real shitshow.
                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Would love to get HJs take on this whole crypto meltdown. I hope he isn't being affected negatively personally but he was the big Crypto guy here so would love this take on the recent FTX stuff and market at large.
                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

New Zealand braindead play in the Rugby League semi final. Blew it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Just crossed 10 years and will suck when I leave! contrats/commiserations
                                                                                      Yeah tis sad on one hand alright, but my team has been taken apart and I'm repeatedly training in new people that I'm not going to learn from, so basically it's kinda a greedy move by me.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Deadly! Im a job hopper, longest was 3 years.

What are you most proud of? What do you think your biggest achievement was in those 7 years.
                                                                                      ​​​​​Did a h.dip in comp science in 2014 (springboard course if I remember correctly, they are some job!) and luckily got contracted into the EPA nearly straight away as I also had an Env.Science degree and had done an internship there before (and met Finkle in the flesh).

I suppose I'm proud that I was fairly green heading in initially but worked my way from a sys admin role to basically becoming a 3rd line operations and security domain admin.

Biggest achievement is we weren't hacked while I was there, although not quite sure I can say that was down to me hahaha.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

15 years in msft. Knew Billg when he was just a millionaire.
                                                                                      Class, we were frequently looking for his number to thank him for SharePoint.
                                                                                      Last edited by Micknail; 11-11-22, 21:40.
                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Let a job after 13 years and only towards the end did it dawn on me the relationships you build during your working life are so much more important than the work. It's not like any of us are going to invent the iPhone or come up with the General Theory of Relativity anyway.
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                          Nice to see the anti-Qatar World Cup activity ramping up. Don't think it's a very good idea for that English couple to go there flaunting their rainbow gear though. That's an ass-slapping waiting to happen.

So lovely to see the corporate-punk tyrants at BrewDog's bandwagon jumping campaign is coming back to slap them round their greedy chops. Even worse is that they're trying to snitch out other brands as a defensive move. Wouldn't want to be on their comms team at the minute.

Bloody pond life.
                                                                                          As much as I would like it not to be going ahead in Qatar, I'm not going to boycott something that brings the likes of the USA and Iran together to play.
                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                            Ari Shaffir's hour and a bit 'Jew' is better than most of the comedy specials that have come out this year imo.

That was good, cheers dude
                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

17 years of going to going away parties and dumping loots in envelopes. Births, deaths, Christenings and weddings and everything in between. Then bang, off ya go. 13 years running my own company since so almost passing it out. Still good mates with a lot, even Balfejohn
                                                                                              Last edited by Dice75; 12-11-22, 01:41.

Comment

All nice sentiments regarding your experiences. I’ve been somewhat like Theresa but I’d like a longer stint.

I have one friend who has a 2-year rule; if you’re not promoted within two years, you should move.

You definitely here a lot of people talk in terms of projects too. I thought it was particularly common in computer game industry with a new game launch or one not being renewed. Very clear time to get in/get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Is this a reference to the shitcoins that are now being allowed to prop up the exchange or something else?

How is the shitcoin thing working? They are allowing these select customers to deposit and withdraw to provide liquidity to select shitcoins. They deposit shitcoins that they bought outside the exchange for let's says 10cent each and then sell the shitcoins on the exchange for 5x, 10x that price where they are massively overinflated )because they are allowing withdrawals in general for these select shitcoins forcing customer to take pennies on the dollar. I am trying to clarify it in my own head because I am only reading about it since your post and the whole thing seems so insane.
                                                                                                  It's like combining the stories of Pizzagate, the GFC, Anglo, MF Global, Lehmans, Hitler's bunker*, into two days. And now it looks like they're running off with 600m+.

*Vegan locked in his compound watching his world collapse high on amphetamines, while his staff have orgies

Comment

Phenomenal women's final going on at the moment. 20 minutes left, 2 points in it. One red card in the mix, and now a yellow. Impossible to call.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                      Phenomenal women's final going on at the moment. 20 minutes left, 2 points in it. One red card in the mix, and now a yellow. Impossible to call.
                                                                                                      Good news Shrap . The whole tournament is being uploaded to Pornhub . You wont have to get up so early any more.

Comment

Nevada down to a 800 vote lead for the GOP Senate candidate, will make the Georgia runoff irrelevant if the Dems sneak it. Which they will.

Old Man Biden running rings around 'em. It's great.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Let a job after 13 years and only towards the end did it dawn on me the relationships you build during your working life are so much more important than the work. It's not like any of us are going to invent the iPhone or come up with the General Theory of Relativity anyway.
                                                                                                          Definitely very different in a MNC vs a smaller place. I sit in a building with about 1k people but only work directly with about 3 of them. No real sense of community compared to the places I worked earlier in my life.

Comment

I was looking at the rugby league world cup draw, as it struck me as strange that England were meeting Samoa again in the semi-final today having already played them in the group. The norm in 4 x 4 group situations is that the group winner goes into one half of the draw and the runner up into the other half, so that they wouldn't meet again until the final.

Pretty blatant draw-fix was in place - it meant that it was impossible for England to play either Australia or NZ before the final, and by the same token impossible for the latter two to meet in the final as they would always head to the Headingley semi-final regardless of group position. Though it was a cracking semi-final as it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I was looking at the rugby league world cup draw, as it struck me as strange that England were meeting Samoa again in the semi-final today having already played them in the group. The norm in 4 x 4 group situations is that the group winner goes into one half of the draw and the runner up into the other half, so that they wouldn't meet again until the final.

Pretty blatant draw-fix was in place - it meant that it was impossible for England to play either Australia or NZ before the final, and by the same token impossible for the latter two to meet in the final as they would always head to the Headingley semi-final regardless of group position. Though it was a cracking semi-final as it turned out.
                                                                                                              Noticed that too.found it very strange. I need to double check but thought it might be a rule change,as I think I noticed France can face the ABs in the SF in next year's world cup. (Although I may have just dreamt it)

I'm off shortly to the Emirates to see the England Samoa semi final.i expect a much closer game than the pool stage one.don't look much like a Samoan, but they'll get my and my Irish friend's support.

Comment

Noticed that too.found it very strange. I need to double check but thought it might be a rule change,as I think I noticed France can face the ABs in the SF in next year's world cup. (Although I may have just dreamt it)
                                                                                                                Nah, looking at the draw for the RWC, France or NZ would be playing teams from groups C and D in any semi-final, not each other.

It is though (deja vu on saying this before) a very lop-sided draw because of how early they did it. Of the current top 4 in the rankings (Ire, Fra, SA, NZ) only two can get to the semi-finals.
                                                                                                                The other two semi-finalists have to come from C & D, the Wales/Australia & England/Argentina groups.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Nah, looking at the draw for the RWC, France or NZ would be playing teams from groups C and D in any semi-final, not each other.

It is though (deja vu on saying this before) a very lop-sided draw because of how early they did it. Of the current top 4 in the rankings (Ire, Fra, SA, NZ) only two can get to the semi-finals.
                                                                                                                  The other two semi-finalists have to come from C & D, the Wales/Australia & England/Argentina groups.
                                                                                                                  Thanks for checking.

Re today, would be hilarious if Samoa won. Ill go party with the islanders

Comment

Raynal and TMO both very fussy today. Fiji really turning on the penalty machine when we get into their 22. Loads of cards coming if keep territory and pressure for 2nd half.

Missed the first few mins. Is Henshaw ok?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                                      Google review successful, and they will be removing the 'dangerous site' warnings, so hopefully it's done now. RIP Tapatalk.

Tapatalk gone for good? Is there any other app you can use with the site? Not sure if it's just me but using the site via the internet on a mobile phone is a bit pants

Comment

The 2nd half was poor, unable to take proper advantage of the extra man, and probably should have tagged on another 1-2 tries. Crowley showed enough glimpses of quality to suggest he has a proper future at test level.

Echo the panel halftime sentiments on Big Stu, putting the hand up again. Such a handful at 12, always sucking in and setting two defenders to give more options in midfield. Treadwell, Loughman, and Timoney all did well too. Curious to see where McCloskey figures in the depth chart after this winter series. Obviously, there's a 6N campaign and a full season to complete first.

Assuming it is Henshaw, Aki, Ringrose, and now McCloskey (Given the situation with Chris Farrell). Probably unlikely to change. Last time we brought 5x props, 3x 10s, and 2x 9s. That relies on the likes of Porter/Bealham to double job for backup and a utility back/10 to drop in as emergency cover at 9. I wonder who'd be the emergency 9 from the rest of the backs with that sort of squad makeup. Hansen another backup option for 10 also. I don't think we'd have a strong enough utility back as the 4th center option to warrant dropping one of the 4 specialists. Even though Ringrose and Henshaw between them can cover most of 10-15 in a pinch too. If Frawley is fit and has form he's the ideal swiss army knife back for a WC squad and pool games.

The back three selections will be tough, so much competition and depth now. The likes of Stockdale and Larmour will be under pressure to even have a sniff. Injuries have been against the lads tbf.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1727154&d=1668267517&type=thumb
                                                                                                                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X