Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever about anything else, how did Marjorie Taylor Greene get reelected. I know the answer. But its just mind boggling.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
      Whatever about anything else, how did Marjorie Taylor Greene get reelected. I know the answer. But its just mind boggling.
      yellow dog syndrome
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        It's 3/1 both Trump and de Santis for 2024. The former lengthening, the latter shortening.

I'd be happy to take my De S vs anyone else's Trump to be the GOP nominee.

I wouldn't want to back either for 2024 outright at this stage. I think Trump will flame out as the GOP digests the results of this race, and who knows what skeletons de Santis has in his closet.
        De Santis now 9/4 - 5/2-ish and Trump drifting like the sinking barge he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
          Went on a food tour first day in Vietnam (I don't expect to ever be able to manage the correct intonation to say Phò)

Guide was very political. It's not Ho Chi Minh, it's Saigon.

"And the Russians are our friends. They protected us from the Chinese. And give us cheap oil. "

Explains the % of travelers here who are Russian. Probably one of the few options they have left at this point.

We accidently went into a Russian bar in Nha Trang. And were intimidated out after the first round of drinks by some very intense and very drunk Russians.

Ironically it was a South Park themed bar, and they were singing along to Green Day and Limp Bizkit (reason enough to leave)​
          ​​
          ​​​​

I'm sure I mentioned this before but Nha Trang was the only place in SE Asia that I didn't feel comfortable - weird, edgy vibe off the place and I felt like I always had to keep my wits about me. Apart from the time that I had a fairly heated drunken argument with Tim Roth in the Sailing Club because he was slagging off Ireland - Cunt!

Comment

I'm not sure that the whole red wave thing was based in reality, or whether it was a smart anchor for Republicans to push so they can now keep up with the bs stolen elections nonsense.

Drove by a polling place yesterday here in AZ and sure lads standing around outside with their semi autos. "The Gravy Seals" as they are being called

America is fucked, its broken, we may pack up the tents and go home.

On the other hand though, America is class, always open for business, everyone legit super friendly, lots going on.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I think you meant to link this? Agree all the above and sharing the schadenfreude.
              No I definitely meant to link what I did

Comment

No I definitely meant to link what I did
                Thoughts on where Trump is today after that election?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I'm sure I mentioned this before but Nha Trang was the only place in SE Asia that I didn't feel comfortable - weird, edgy vibe off the place and I felt like I always had to keep my wits about me. Apart from the time that I had a fairly heated drunken argument with Tim Roth in the Sailing Club because he was slagging off Ireland - Cunt!

It was very quiet when I was there, but I thought it was great.

Comment

Thoughts on where Trump is today after that election?
                    I don't expect him to be a strong runner for the nomination, and I'm expecting De Santis to win the whole thing with his relative youth and vigor.

Comment

I can't seem to stop watching this performance today:

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        Down a bit if a sci-fi rabbit hole. Looking for a short story or novel

The moon is a harsh mistress is amazing, I just finished it. Great sci fi.

Comment

I'm not sure that the whole red wave thing was based in reality, or whether it was a smart anchor for Republicans to push so they can now keep up with the bs stolen elections nonsense.

Drove by a polling place yesterday here in AZ and sure lads standing around outside with their semi autos. "The Gravy Seals" as they are being called

America is fucked, its broken, we may pack up the tents and go home.

On the other hand though, America is class, always open for business, everyone legit super friendly, lots going on.
                          You might actually be in the most nutty purple state of all, when it comes to the craziness of the GOP. Go talk politics to people, you probably get away with it given your foreignness and they will all think you're on their side.

Comment

On that topic, I saw the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson (Red mars, Green mars, Blue Mars) recommended. Are they worth reading?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                              I can't seem to stop watching this performance today:
                              Seems like only yesterday that cme out ?. . She has the pipes all right .

She did the carpool Karioke with James Gordon. Cringecity . Him not her.

Comment

good work soldier .

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                  On that topic, I saw the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson (Red mars, Green mars, Blue Mars) recommended. Are they worth reading?
                                  All non-Expanse modern sci-fi is rubbish especially this one. Read The Expanse is what I'm saying.
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

All non-Expanse modern sci-fi is rubbish especially this one. Read The Expanse is what I'm saying.
                                    +1 re the mars trilogy. pretty uninspiring. interesting in parts but overall very dull (only read the first one it must be said, but that was enough for me)

Comment

RuSSia retreating from Kherson, 'the eternally RuSSian city'. Not a good look for Mad Vlad.

Comment

Alex Kulev with his biggest score over the weekend. His ascent has been pretty incredible

Comment

Crypto is in freefall again after one of the biggest exchanges announced it is insolvent. It looked yesterday like Binance was going to bail them out by buying the whole shop which would have saved users but the news is leaking today that they are having second thoughts which has made the market plunge.

Sam Bankman-Fried’s $16 Billion Fortune Is Eviscerated in Days

Cryptocurrency exchange giant Binance is highly unlikely to go through with its proposed acquisition of struggling rival FTX after less than a day of reviewing the company, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Edit - Just reading back now and I see Denny already commented on it. Surprised the market is holding up as well as it is currently as would expect this to wipe half the value in a very short time.
                                          Last edited by Opr; 09-11-22, 20:07.

Comment

Think I mentioned it before but the course that I always recommend to people looking to learn programming is the MOOC course. They are free and take you from complete beginner stuff to quite complex. It explains a topic and then gives you actual programs to write, The programs have a number of tests built in so you get graded on the assignments straight away and can't move on until you complete them. It used to be done through Java but they have just started doing it through Python this year. It is quite a time commitment but the practical elements along with the inbuilt grader make it such a great way to learn.

Instructions on how to set up the development environment for the course.

Java Mooc Course

Python Mooc Course
                                            Last edited by Opr; 09-11-22, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                              Think I mentioned it before but the course that I always recommend to people looking to learn programming is the MOOC course. They are free and take you from complete beginner stuff to quite complex. It explains a topic and then gives you actual programs to write, The programs have a number of tests built in so you get graded on the assignments straight away and can't move on until you complete them. It used to be done through Java but they have just started doing it through Python this year. It is quite a time commitment but the practical elements along with the inbuilt grader make it such a great way to learn.

Java Mooc Course

Python Mooc Course
                                              I’ve been trying to decide what to do next so always looking at different courses. I might look at the Java one there.

I started the Data Scientist stream via DataCamp a little while ago but it also takes a bit of commitment and it’s hard to motivate yourself if there isn’t an immediate use case in your job- assuming you’re not intending to move.

I’m going to do one of the 6-8 week professional development courses via Smurfit in the new year if I get accepted.

I have my eye on an MSt in the UK further down the road but it’s expensive and I’m not sure how it would be perceived.

Outside of the online practical stuff, when you look around, Ireland represents such good value in accredited courses.

Comment

If you want to learn to code, try and figure out a problem / thing that you want to build / automate and just drag yourself through it.

If you don't have a pet project with some personal involvement / interest, you'll fall of the trail imo.

One thing that I found great when starting (other than AndyFB's randomly useful answers to my whinging on here) was coding up a sweepstakes game (the Alan Crookes' golf format) to get a live scoreboard all of the time. There's a thousand ways to do it, and I just decided to try and get set up and get something working. Have subsequently found a ridiculously simple way to do it instead of how I had previously done (this is coding101 - every time you look at your code subsequently you find a simpler way than how you did it originally).

I've a guy in my team who wanted to build a simple twitter listener that would send him a notification on his phone anyone mentioned his DJ name on twitter. Again probably a thousand ways to get started and finished, but the actual pulling yourself through the problem - no matter the route you take to get to your solution, is the key journey.

Start and continue - seems an obvious truism, but that's how you get there.

Comment

Also for any data anaylsis stuff - no java. python or R or potentially Julia.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                    Also for any data anaylsis stuff - no java. python or R or potentially Julia.
                                                    I can write a bit of Python & R but most of the day to day stuff is SQL and whatever visualisation tool.
                                                    I definitely need some type of project to upskill in either though.

The Java piece for me is because I was looking into an MSc which required reasonable Java knowledge for a couple of modules.

Just need to commit to something

Comment

Don't think Adam really wants to learn to code, more wants to understand the components of software development and what it takes to build things. Just assuming this could be way off, you know what they say about assumptions.

I think the genesis of this journey for him is wanting to understand more of the product/dev convos, and potentially have an ear in the room, a seat at the table, and likely from a Sales perspective so when one of his many many customer requests make sense he can talk to what it could/would take to build to the customer at a high level and understand what product/dev are telling him it may take.

Comment

It's like the difference between construction and engineering. Having been a bricklayer in the past probably makes you a better engineer but it's not at all required.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If you want to learn to code, try and figure out a problem / thing that you want to build / automate and just drag yourself through it.

If you don't have a pet project with some personal involvement / interest, you'll fall of the trail imo.

One thing that I found great when starting (other than AndyFB's randomly useful answers to my whinging on here) was coding up a sweepstakes game (the Alan Crookes' golf format) to get a live scoreboard all of the time. There's a thousand ways to do it, and I just decided to try and get set up and get something working. Have subsequently found a ridiculously simple way to do it instead of how I had previously done (this is coding101 - every time you look at your code subsequently you find a simpler way than how you did it originally).

I've a guy in my team who wanted to build a simple twitter listener that would send him a notification on his phone anyone mentioned his DJ name on twitter. Again probably a thousand ways to get started and finished, but the actual pulling yourself through the problem - no matter the route you take to get to your solution, is the key journey.

Nail hit firmly on the head.

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I’ve been trying to decide what to do next so always looking at different courses. I might look at the Java one there.
                                                          Java, hmmm I'd struggle to see how it would be relevant to the kind of stuff I imagine you do in finance

Don't think Adam really wants to learn to code, more wants to understand the components of software development and what it takes to build things. Just assuming this could be way off, you know what they say about assumptions.

I think the genesis of this journey for him is wanting to understand more of the product/dev convos, and potentially have an ear in the room, a seat at the table, and likely from a Sales perspective so when one of his many many customer requests make sense he can talk to what it could/would take to build to the customer at a high level and understand what product/dev are telling him it may take.
                                                          That sounds right and makes me doubt that any of the suggested programming courses are fitting the bill but unfortunately I'm not sure what would.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah if you're getting more into the nitty gritty side of things. You're 100x more motivated and you internalise it much better when you build it from scratch, end to end yourself.

Good to add to GitHub too. I interviewed a guy that claimed python as a skill, but his GitHub had been dormant for two years.

It's just a general useful skill to have, if you're doing any sort of analysis or work that can be automated.
                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 09-11-22, 23:55.

Comment

Musk keeps delivering.

Comment

Comment

Is he wrong about the transparency though?

Its more that the assets were always worthless just people didn't want to believe it?

Houses have value.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

That sounds right and makes me doubt that any of the suggested programming courses are fitting the bill but unfortunately I'm not sure what would.
                                                                    He'd need to learn to code lol

But seriously I think the CS50 course is high enough level, I had never seen it and I crammed all the videos in last night and this morning, particularly the Web Dev piece and PARTICULARLY the Technology Stacks lecture.

I think thats an incredible start for my assumptive Adam requirements.

Its only 6 ish hours of video, and tbh, its delivered so well it is very enjoyable, and very compelling in parts, so I'd back that recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Java, hmmm I'd struggle to see how it would be relevant to the kind of stuff I imagine you do in finance
                                                                      Shots fired!!!

It was for an MSc in Computer Science with an AI skew, I think Denny may have done something similar.

You’re right though, on a day to day basis, outside of maybe having a better idea of what the SDE’s are doing on projects, it would have no practical use.

I’m just at a little bit of a crossroads on what to get after next.

Comment

He'd need to learn to code lol

But seriously I think the CS50 course is high enough level, I had never seen it and I crammed all the videos in last night and this morning, particularly the Web Dev piece and PARTICULARLY the Technology Stacks lecture.

I think thats an incredible start for my assumptive Adam requirements.

Its only 6 ish hours of video, and tbh, its delivered so well it is very enjoyable, and very compelling in parts, so I'd back that recommendation.

Something like this from ICT if you’re not wanting to actually do the coding.

The graduates of this programme are not expected to be ‘technical’ graduates but rather will be equipped to understand the needs of the organisation and how they can be met through technological solutions. Furthermore, they will be capable of articulating their knowledge, incorporating it into their company, and planning and measuring progress in adopting new technologies. Graduates will be able to liaise with internal or external ICT professionals using a shared body of knowledge and framework of understanding. They will be able to discuss knowledgeably matters such as different options for data organisation and compliance, business intelligence, data analysis and the use of data to support strategy and decision making.

The programme will give students a solid foundation in emerging digital technologies such as how business intelligence works, how to visualise data, how to store and how to analyse data. By the end of the course, students will know how to summarise and interpret the data they have accumulated so that they can make more effective predictions and decisions. Students will also begin to look at how this data can be applied to the development of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how AI may be able to benefit their organisation.

Comment

Would something along these lines not be more what you're looking to specialise in? https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgr...on=2023&id=916
                                                                          Or if not as stat-heavy - https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgr...n=2023&id=1081 ?

Honestly, as someone who works with java and python every day, there is little to no gain from anyone coming from an analyst / analysis background learning java. It's good to know foundations of CS but you will learn that via python, and you will also learn all of the relevant tooling / pythonic ways of solving problems etc. We have a team of java developers, and a team of python analysts. We work very closely with each other, but I wouldn't ever expect my analysts to be writing the production java code - let the dedicated coders do that.

Happy to have the conversation in the open but PM me if you want any sounding off of any of your plans / ideas.

Comment

Yeah if you're getting more into the nitty gritty side of things. You're 100x more motivated and you internalise it much better when you build it from scratch, end to end yourself.

Good to add to GitHub too. I interviewed a guy that claimed python as a skill, but his GitHub had been dormant for two years.

It's just a general useful skill to have, if you're doing any sort of analysis or work that can be automated.
                                                                            my github has entries in 2015 & 2020 and that's it - not sure dormant github means anything tbh - though I certainly wouldn't have mine on my CV if I were interviewing. I'd make certain that if I was sending people the link I had actually done something / showed some progress. Having a log of people's changes through, and being able to see their thought process on the struggle through the problem is a genuinely excellent resource when it comes to hiring.

Comment

First paragraph is spot on. No desire to ever write a line of code.

Second paragraph, my interest is less about my current role (Enterprise sales at Salesforce, I get by just fine without this) and more thinking ahead to a possible future move to a much smaller company where, as you phrased it, I’d like to have a seat at the table or be able to row in on Product conversations etc.

I started the Harvard CS50 course yesterday and finding it super interesting so far. Thanks for the steer on that Emmett and others. Seems like an ideal foundation for what I’m after.

Comment

RuSSia retreating from Kherson, 'the eternally RuSSian city'. Not a good look for Mad Vlad.
                                                                                They murdered their own regional head too. Fuck knows why.

This is an even bigger defeat than Kharkiv in September. Probably take the media a couple of days to pick up on it. Imagine being the mother or wife of one of the thousands of Russian soldiers killed there. All for nothing except the whims of a mad dictator.

Comment

Is he wrong about the transparency though?

Its more that the assets were always worthless just people didn't want to believe it?

Houses have value.
                                                                                  It's more that he did exactly what he described (opaque loans between institutions, used for leverage)

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

Second paragraph, my interest is less about my current role (Enterprise sales at Salesforce, I get by just fine without this) and more thinking ahead to a possible future move to a much smaller company where, as you phrased it, I’d like to have a seat at the table or be able to row in on Product conversations etc.

I started the Harvard CS50 course yesterday and finding it super interesting so far. Thanks for the steer on that Emmett and others. Seems like an ideal foundation for what I’m after.
                                                                                    I've been a 'business person working in Tech' for years. Couldn't write a line of code to save my life, apart from some SQL.

Comment

I've been a 'business person working in Tech' for years. Couldn't write a line of code to save my life, apart from some SQL.
                                                                                      My job title is under discussion to be changed to 'EMEA Lead, Risk Analytics", never done anything more than a basic introduction to SQL. Constantly having to tell people i'm not a 'data guy' (after I present a load of data)

Comment

Looking like 50-49 GOP in the Senate with Georgia (again!) going to a runoff
                                                                                        No, Nevada is going to go Blue. 50-49 DEM plus the runoff.
                                                                                        Time for Solks to break out the Trump is Toast meme. He's now lost the GOP three national elections in a row.

Also: Old Man Biden says he's likely gonna go again....

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

My job title is under discussion to be changed to 'EMEA Lead, Risk Analytics", never done anything more than a basic introduction to SQL. Constantly having to tell people i'm not a 'data guy' (after I present a load of data)
                                                                                          That means you are a data guy.
                                                                                          Very underrated skillset by the way - the ability to break down and synthezize big datasets in business terms.

I was doing a presentation last week to ~40 people, all of whom are involved in building out a super-duper new data platform. I talked a lot about content and metadata, then I asked how many of you would describe yourselves as data people. All 40 put up their Zoom hands.

'How many of you actually looked at <name of platform> data today?'
                                                                                          2 people put up their hands.

Everyone tends to focus on the data product but they all lose sight of the actual data, and what it means. Very common theme.

Comment

If anyone is in the market for a new show, Andor is pretty fucking class. I'm a bit biased as a Star Wars fan but I think it holds up better than The Mandalorian. Andor seems more original/authentic as a story than fan-servicey if that makes sense.

For me, alongside Rogue One (the story overlaps) they are the best live-action productions since the original trilogy. There are no lightsabers or Jedi/Sith force-based characters. It's a spectacle of espionage, the everyman struggle and the broader political environment at play. All credit to the creators for brilliant casting and writing. Three Irish actresses feature prominently and they all have excellent performances - Fiona Shaw, Genevieve O'Reilly and Denise Gough.

Just be careful with spoilers if you start googling. The last episode of season one just dropped so it's all over Twitter, review sites etc. Most of the original reviews from big publications or critics are only of the first 4 episodes so I wouldn't pay too much attention (still positive overall). It's a series that needs to be digested whole.

Comment

I'm in the middle of it now, don't mind about spoilers, I've seen Rogue One I really like it, do like The Mandalorian way more though.

Comment

'How many of you actually looked at <name of platform> data today?'
                                                                                                2 people put up their hands.

Everyone tends to focus on the data product but they all lose sight of the actual data, and what it means. Very common theme.

It's a virtual certainty.

Comment

Try fit in Hoi An. My favourite place in SE Asia back in the day.
                                                                                                  What's that btw?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

TMP Engineer here at Salesforce. Let me know if you're in Sandyford office some day, we can go for coffee and you can pick my brain

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                      I'm in the middle of it now, don't mind about spoilers, I've seen Rogue One I really like it, do like The Mandalorian way more though.
                                                                                                      I think the Mandalorian is definitely more fun and cool but Andor just hits in a different way. The acting and writing is better so far anyway. Regardless, I love them both. I think there's going to be something Mandalorian related dropped over Christmas but the new season won't kick in until February.

Comment

What's that btw?
                                                                                                        Hoi An is a town in Vietnam, really cool little spot or it used to be at least. North of Nha Trang before you get to Hue.

Comment

Hoi An is a town in Vietnam, really cool little spot or it used to be at least. North of Nha Trang before you get to Hue.
                                                                                                          Denny defo thought "fit" was a place "in Hoi An".

Which it might be.

I agree with Lao Lao, Hoi An is everything Nha Trang is not.

Comment

War on drugs playing Trinners 27 jun for the fans on here- tickets on sale now- SLOWGHOST password for presale

still only 50E - no idea what trinity like as a venue though
                                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Google review successful, and they will be removing the 'dangerous site' warnings, so hopefully it's done now. RIP Tapatalk.

Comment

Denny defo thought "fit" was a place "in Hoi An".

Which it might be.

I agree with Lao Lao, Hoi An is everything Nha Trang is not.
                                                                                                                Yeah thought Lao Lao was trying to send me to the gym. I get it now.

Hoi An is on the list.

Nha Trang was deserted when we were there, so was just drinking cocktails on an empty beach and going out on a boat viewing great scenery, was very pleasant.

Comment

Yeah thought Lao Lao was trying to send me to the gym. I get it now.

Hoi An is on the list.

Nha Trang was deserted when we were there, so was just drinking cocktails on an empty beach and going out on a boat viewing great scenery, was very pleasant.
                                                                                                                  Makes sense. The usual tourist there is Russian and those boys have all been enlisted and off on other business.

Comment

Random point of interest from the FTX stuff - their head of regulatory/compliance was one of the attorneys involved in trying to cover up the UltimateBet/Absolute Poker scandal

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                      Random point of interest from the FTX stuff - their head of regulatory/compliance was one of the attorneys involved in trying to cover up the UltimateBet/Absolute Poker scandal
                                                                                                                      And the COO was a risk manager at Credit Suisse.

"Where were the signs, how did we not see it coming, where did it all go wrong" etc etc.

Comment

I think that these House results might be a case of 'be careful what you wish for' for the GOP.

They will probably end up with a small majority, which means they will constantly be trying to contain their loonier members (think Marjorie Taylor Greene here) into a united front. It'll be a mess.

Although at least that enormous geebag Lauren Boebert seems like she is going to lose her seat. Would have been a fun one to be against as I think she was a 1/20 shot!

Comment

And the COO was a risk manager at Credit Suisse.

"Where were the signs, how did we not see it coming, where did it all go wrong" etc etc.
                                                                                                                          And their auditors....?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X