This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Anyone else intending to largely boycott the World Cup?

I know it'll be impossible to avoid on the news, social media etc... but thinking I can't really bring myself to support the whole sorry mess so will likely swerve as much as I can and bury myself in a project or a couple of good books instead.

And I hope anyone who physically attends it gets the wakeup call they deserve.
    Not me . I'll be canned up for it . If i adopted the line of logic i wouldnt watch many sports . Would ii like to see it in a country without atrocities. YES . Having a small sneaky bet on Holland and a bigger one on the Argies

Comment

Question for self-employed or accountancy peeps.

Context is a situation where you're a self-employed worker(SEW) and contracted to Company X (US based).

Company X allows SEW a set amount towards certain expenses
      - laptop, monitor, desk etc (One-off, capital expense subject to depreciation?)
      - There are others like internet but I don't think they are covered.

SEW purchases the one-off items on their Credit/Debit card.

Company X then reimburses for the expenses the following month along with their monthly retainer.

SEW then appears to be paying income tax (and VAT already) on the one-off expenses.

----------

SEW's and my understanding is that the one-off expenses can be discounted or depreciated against income tax but SEW's accountant isn't providing clarity here.

SEW's return is obviously due imminently for the previous year. They're worried that they will be paying €1-€2k extra in income tax because expenses may be incorrectly addressed.

Has anyone been in this situation before or have an understanding of what should happen?

Comment

I know it'll be impossible to avoid on the news, social media etc... but thinking I can't really bring myself to support the whole sorry mess so will likely swerve as much as I can and bury myself in a project or a couple of good books instead.

will be looking forward to the great game been played
        if u ask to boycott this u should boycott 85% of the teams going forward on life as they have all played their part in fucking up something in this world of ours
        keep sport away from all this shite in the world
        if you don’t want to watch it well and good, you can enjoy strictly come dancing or I’m a celebrity as they won’t offend many because the brits have done it for hundreds of years so it just washes over us

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
          tylerdurden94 i was thinking similar. If there is no planning permission required (i.e. single story extension within limits) and you already have a fair idea of layout id lean towards talking to your builder first.
          We need planning permission as we will be coming out past the limits.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Those two are but the third guy fled back to Romania and was only got and sentenced this week.
            Always wondered who the 3rd wheel was,
            thought it must be a local
            since the obvious tourist types
            all still seemed to be knocking around.

What really stuck out to me
            was carrying around false number plates.
            I'd initially assumed the crime was opportunistic.

That wasn't the only major theft
            in the last year's of the Fitz either.
            Maybe partly explains the sudden closure?

DC's been playing around Dublin lately
            and BE had a recent cash in Nottingham.
            Last edited by DeeBrown; 03-11-22, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Always wondered who the 3rd wheel was,
              thought it must be a local
              since the obvious tourist types
              all still seemed to be knocking around.

What really stuck out to me
              was carrying around false number plates.
              I'd initially assumed the crime was opportunistic.

That wasn't the only major theft
              in the last year's of the Fitz either.
              Maybe partly explains the sudden closure?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                Surely any respectable establishment would ban them for life?
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Not me . I'll be canned up for it . If i adopted the line of logic i wouldnt watch many sports . Would ii like to see it in a country without atrocities. YES . Having a small sneaky bet on Holland and a bigger one on the Argies
                  The fact that Ireland aren't in it kinda makes it more interesting as a sporting spectacle for me, perversely enough.
                  Funking a Loolah-led Latino victory. Although Neymar is a geebag of the highest order, so maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Surely any respectable establishment would ban them for life?
                    There'd be nobody left if you started that craic

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                      Question for self-employed or accountancy peeps.

Context is a situation where you're a self-employed worker(SEW) and contracted to Company X (US based).

Company X allows SEW a set amount towards certain expenses
                      - laptop, monitor, desk etc (One-off, capital expense subject to depreciation?)
                      - There are others like internet but I don't think they are covered.

SEW purchases the one-off items on their Credit/Debit card.

Company X then reimburses for the expenses the following month along with their monthly retainer.

SEW then appears to be paying income tax (and VAT already) on the one-off expenses.

----------

SEW's and my understanding is that the one-off expenses can be discounted or depreciated against income tax but SEW's accountant isn't providing clarity here.

SEW's return is obviously due imminently for the previous year. They're worried that they will be paying €1-€2k extra in income tax because expenses may be incorrectly addressed.

Has anyone been in this situation before or have an understanding of what should happen?
                      The SEW shouldn't be paying income tax at source. The Company should pay SEW the gross amount (+ VAT, depending) and the SEW worker then works out his income tax liable (and pays VAT if applicable) based on his accounting of the income/expenses etc

Comment

There's shenanigans and then there's violent crime.

Comment

Yourself & GAB heads-up maybe?
                          No sorry, on 2nd thoughts,
                          I see what you're saying.
                          Last edited by DeeBrown; 03-11-22, 15:11.

Comment

I’m buzzing for it. Fridge full of crude oil. Imposed Sharia law upon my wife and daughter. Confiscated the passports of the lad who delivered a curry and installed a few patio heaters in my lounge.
                            LETS GOOOO
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Today's annoying thing with housing in Ireland, I have to get building insurance, the lender say that I must have this before I can buy the house, while the insurance company (Allianz) are saying that they can't insure before I own the property, and that it is a legal requirement. Guys you do this every day, how is this an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                Today's annoying thing with housing in Ireland, I have to get building insurance, the lender say that I must have this before I can buy the house, while the insurance company (Allianz) are saying that they can't insure before I own the property, and that it is a legal requirement. Guys you do this every day, how is this an issue.
                                That's very weird. Have just activated our home insurance and won't own the house til next week (brag)......with Allianz

Comment

haha yeah I think the phone guy and their supervisor don't know what is going on, bizarre.

Comment

House Insurance due next week and has jumped up 50% since last year even shopping around FFS

Comment

I have a new song out today! Written after a beautiful sunny Sunday cycling through the streets of Mexico. It's quite a light jazz/dancey affair with live drums, swirling synths and some gorgeous sax (I can say this because it isn't me playing!).

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

The SEW shouldn't be paying income tax at source. The Company should pay SEW the gross amount (+ VAT, depending) and the SEW worker then works out his income tax liable (and pays VAT if applicable) based on his accounting of the income/expenses etc
                                        Yes that is what's happening. The gross amount is received by the SEW including any expense payments. Any income tax or VAT due is worked afterwards by the accountants and paid to revenue separately. The accountant isn't being clear though on depreciation or relief piece. So there's a concern that SEW is overpaying income tax as a result.

The question then is about reconciling how the likes of the laptop/desk etc are factored for depreciation or tax relief. I don't understand enough tbh and neither does the SEW. Maybe you have some insight on depreciation or tax relief for those items?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Yes that is what's happening. The gross amount is received by the SEW including any expense payments. Any income tax or VAT due is worked afterwards by the accountants and paid to revenue separately. The accountant isn't being clear though on depreciation or relief piece. So there's a concern that SEW is overpaying income tax as a result.

The question then is about reconciling how the likes of the laptop/desk etc are factored for depreciation or tax relief. I don't understand enough tbh and neither does the SEW. Maybe you have some insight on depreciation or tax relief for those items?
                                          You can legitimately book any items like laptops, accessories and office furniture as expenses. They are not income so need to be deducted from income before working out income tax/usc etc. And I think the standard is to depreciate those assets over 5 years (IE 1/60th per month). That's what I do anyway. If you are not a LTD company you may have less flexibility like this and perhaps that is what your accountant is unsure of? Otherwise change your accountant lol

Comment

Interesting to watch the outrage over Qatar as a state, Its a bit like that gobshite Kerry priest, what do you expect? They are who they are and their beliefs and culture are what they are.

A moral calculation that brings you to a boycott of the WC because it's in it Doha would logically lead you to boycotting all soccer and most sports.

Doha is on a par with UAE and IMhO is more acceptable than most of the Emirates or most of their neighbours
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

you just purchase online and dont deal with humans. there should be a first day of cover in the process. if not just assume immediate. thats what i did
                                              Oh believe me I want to avoid humans, but their auto address system did not have my address correct so lender won't accept it and it did not have my lender either, so had to edit over phone.
                                              Pal working in there went to the underwriters now and overrode it, so all good. Took ages on the phone, their whole backend was messing up but an hour later it is done, and fair play to the girl she stayed like an hour late to sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Interesting to watch the outrage over Qatar as a state, Its a bit like that gobshite Kerry priest, what do you expect? They are who they are and their beliefs and culture are what they are.

A moral calculation that brings you to a boycott of the WC because it's in it Doha would logically lead you to boycotting all soccer and most sports.

Doha is on a par with UAE and IMhO is more acceptable than most of the Emirates or most of their neighbours
                                                Yeah may as well boycott the EPL too as they allowed Newcastle and City to be sportwashed egregiously.

Comment

House Insurance due next week and has jumped up 50% since last year even shopping around FFS
                                                  Give me a shout
                                                  nephew with aa
                                                  seems to work the trick on anything we need

Comment

Some craic here in Arizona with the upcoming election. Some real nutjobs in the running.

Placards, rallys and crazy peeps and I would be in the bluest part of it here in Scottsdale close to ASU.
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Just don't look too closely at their funding for ISIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                        Some craic here in Arizona with the upcoming election. Some real nutjobs in the running.

Placards, rallys and crazy peeps and I would be in the bluest part of it here in Scottsdale close to ASU.
                                                        I was asked to spend a summer near there years ago at the peak of my bball playing days.

I can’t remember why I said no but definitely a regret, now I play a game one a day where we don’t even keep score.

Comment

Same for me and the car insurance. Really quite confused on that one though - no claim and a big jump in premium, again with shopping around!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I was asked to spend a summer near there years ago at the peak of my bball playing days.

I can’t remember why I said no but definitely a regret, now I play a game one a day where we don’t even keep score.
                                                            The female talent is otherwordly. Never, in any other place on earth, have I felt like such a wart.

I mean, I'm no oil painting, so there are wart like feelings in lots of places, but here.... I am comfortably the ugliest person in town.

I suspect once you leave Tempe/Scottsdale you get back to reg Joe and Jane American but not here.
                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Isn't it revoltingly hot in summer though? My brother was heading there for a conference that had to be cancelled because the airport tarmac was melting.

Comment

I do largely boycott soccer these days. Haven't had the stomach for it for about a decade now. Last time I went to a match was 7 or 8 years ago.

Don't watch golf, mostly given up on F1. Still a sucker for horse racing unfortunately, that's my moral weak spot I suppose. And athletics.

I'm far from outraged. Too long in the tooth for that but also not naive enough to think the multi-layered moral turpitude of hosting the World Cup there can readily be brushed under the carpet with a few tepid jabs of whataboutery.

But hey, maybe the Qatari's will turn a blind eye to the tens of thousands of breaches of sharia law every day for the duration of the World Cup and we can all then just label them hypocrites (like the rest of the world) when things return to 'normal' after the eyes of the world have turned away.

And for what its worth I have physically boycotted the UAE from a travel perspective on many occasions, only once finding myself in the airport there very much against my will or doing. I don't make a song and dance about it.

It's a personal choice to avoid anywhere I could get beaten, tortured, jailed or even killed by the state or its actors (or even non-secular citizen militias) for the most minor of offences that we would barely bat an eyelid at.

I'm sure what the eye doesn't see, we won't grieve too much over though. Ain't that always the way. As long as it happens to somebody else.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1726862&d=1667513814&type=thumb
                                                                  Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I canvassed for 'Wiener' in San Fran gayest area
                                                                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

was shouting vote Wiener at the top of my voice and the gay boys looking on mystified at my accent wondering WTF . My childish SOH had a field day.

Comment

Boycotting sports for me would be equivalent of boycotting shagging runway models. I will go out of my way to avoid any World Cup games. If I happen to bump into any hot models (even from yesteryear) I'll deal with that situation in the moment.
                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

We might end up with no dealers either.

One shouldn't ever be surprised at how small Ireland is and how much I know of their "relationships" in the latter parts of the 00's.
                                                                        I'd say the casinos would still be wall to wall filled with dealers
                                                                        but they'd have very few players to serve.

Vague insinuations about "relationships"
                                                                        two decades into the past would
                                                                        pale into insignificance compared to players
                                                                        documented activities in more recent years.

Comment

Great hat trick from Little in the cricket. Shame it came so late in the innings. 5 or 6 overs earlier and they could have really put the pressure on.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post
                                                                            Great hat trick from Little in the cricket. Shame it came so late in the innings. 5 or 6 overs earlier and they could have really put the pressure on.
                                                                            Too little too late
                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Too little too late
                                                                              Still a really good WC showing. We played to the limits of our abilities and beat two of the global giants in a tournament for the first time ever. When you consider the resource disparity, it's a fantastic WC for us.

Comment

Wouldn't want to be sitting in the Twitter offices and awaiting Musk's first steps as overlord
                                                                                50% of the global workforce getting canned today.

That's a shitload of well paid jobs evaporating out of Ireland...

Comment

14% of Stripe went yesterday too. Not sure how much that will impact Ireland but you would assume it’s pretty significant too. Severance seems decent though 14 weeks pay and early vesting of your RSUs(not sure how that works in private company).

Clear trend across the tech sector that operational costs are being cut. I’m not sure what roles are being targeted but not feeling as cheery as I was a few months back.

Comment

Rang the Credit Union to enquire about getting a load and they pretty much said "we'll only give you 60k" and out of that there would be 27k in interest. Jaysus!
                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

14% of Stripe went yesterday too. Not sure how much that will impact Ireland but you would assume it’s pretty significant too. Severance seems decent though 14 weeks pay and early vesting of your RSUs(not sure how that works in private company).

Clear trend across the tech sector that operational costs are being cut. I’m not sure what roles are being targeted but not feeling as cheery as I was a few months back.
                                                                                      We're hoovering up people from tech companies, lots of them on the street..

Comment

Most of the Dublin crowd told not to show up today. Network accounts locked. Tough spot to be in waiting to see if you still have a job.
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Barely any engineers in Dublin, mostly sales/marketing as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Most of the Dublin crowd told not to show up today. Network accounts locked. Tough spot to be in waiting to see if you still have a job.
                                                                                            After seeing that, even if you still have a job do you (a) say woohoo, put the head down and get on with the grind, or (b), put all your energies into GTFOing?

Comment

Presumably Elon needs to comply with legislation around these firings/redundancies - i.e. 2 weeks statutory payment per year served here?

Maybe i’m picking it up wrong but sounds like those based in the States are out on their ear without a penny?

Comment

After seeing that, even if you still have a job do you (a) say woohoo, put the head down and get on with the grind, or (b), put all your energies into GTFOing?
                                                                                                It’ll be so grim in the aftermath, that they better off taking the redundancy now, than walking with nothing in 3months. Tough spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It’ll be so grim in the aftermath, that they better off taking the redundancy now, than walking with nothing in 3months. Tough spot.
                                                                                                  It really is scorched earth by Musk.

Kinda have to hand it to him, he's not fucking around.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                    Rang the Credit Union to enquire about getting a load and they pretty much said "we'll only give you 60k" and out of that there would be 27k in interest. Jaysus!
                                                                                                    That doesn't sound right TD. What's the term of the loan and the rate?

Comment

They were hiring a DBA earlier in the year. Made the amazing decision not to apply for it. Hindsight is 20/20.
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Sounds like the angle to me, keep all the essential staff such as engineers. Cut the operational costs by firing from elsewhere, get an uptick in share price which he can champion as a win.

Slowly rehire sales/marketing and probably some analytics to target some retention from whatever subscription model they introduce.

I was thinking, I wonder if they might put certain blue ticks behind a paywall as an alternative to charging the blue ticks themselves.

Comment

That doesn't sound right TD. What's the term of the loan and the rate?
                                                                                                          I went investigating, it looks right if you consider CU home improvement loan apr averages 9.21%, 8 years of that is over €25k on €60k.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I went investigating, it looks right if you consider CU home improvement loan apr averages 9.21%, 8 years of that is over €25k on €60k.
                                                                                                            9.2% . Wowzers.

Comment

In further good news, Trump pretty much announced he's running in 2024. Could see the dream team of Boris and Trump reunited.

Comment

Just looking at the Paris 24 Olympic venues there- hands down the most iconic set of venues ever- beach volleyball ne’er the Eiffel Tower, equestrian at Versailles Palace etc- only 2 new venues needing to be built.
                                                                                                                surfing in Tahiti should be good too- though they will probably chicken out- currently to be held at a location where people have died with a qualification route that specifically favours people that have almost none of the skills required to survive there
                                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Twitter have never actually made money right?
                                                                                                                  cqnt wait for wasters like Deliveroo etc Al to go under- currently letti g people use Klarna to buy now pay later for takeaways FFS
                                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

They were hiring a DBA earlier in the year. Made the amazing decision not to apply for it. Hindsight is 20/20.
                                                                                                                    Coinbase I think it was that were offering insane amounts and I didn't apply, came crashing down pretty quick haha.

Sounds like the angle to me, keep all the essential staff such as engineers. Cut the operational costs by firing from elsewhere, get an uptick in share price which he can champion as a win.

Slowly rehire sales/marketing and probably some analytics to target some retention from whatever subscription model they introduce.

I was thinking, I wonder if they might put certain blue ticks behind a paywall as an alternative to charging the blue ticks themselves.
                                                                                                                    Might even just contract out that stuff, we don't do most of our own sales or marketing. Less staff look good, they just work elsewhere :P

Comment

Coinbase I think it was that were offering insane amounts and I didn't apply, came crashing down pretty quick haha.

Might even just contract out that stuff, we don't do most of our own sales or marketing. Less staff look good, they just work elsewhere :P
                                                                                                                      Coinbase were offering ridiculous money, one of those too good to be true things.
                                                                                                                      Regarding Twitters share price, hasn't he take it private?
                                                                                                                      The $8 a month blue tick is a mental grift though. It's not the current blue tick brigade or even the misinformation bots I think. It's the millions of users who will see it as a prestige thing.
                                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                        Twitter have never actually made money right?
                                                                                                                        Hitch probably going to shell out for a Blue Thick Tick.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Is it still a thing to get deliveries from the UK sent to Parcel Motel in the north, and then down to here, or has Brexit screwed that?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X