This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
    On the restaurant recommendations topic. Anywhere in Dublin for Sunday that might accommodate 6-10 people without advance booking that's not a pub/gastropub?

We're looking at brunch/lunch and casual setting. Nothing fancy or expensive and preferably close-ish to the city centre.
    Check our B Skewers in Temple Bar. Not your standard Temple Bar restaurant. It's just opened so not sure if you need to book or not. Might go down well with the Brazilians.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Check our B Skewers in Temple Bar. Not your standard Temple Bar restaurant. It's just opened so not sure if you need to book or not. Might go down well with the Brazilians.
      That's a fair amount cheaper than Bah33! Thanks for the shout, definitely worth a look.

Bah33 is quite good btw. It's genuine as a real Brazilian churrasco experience but just a bit pricey imo. However, for €50 all in, after the Rodizio ("hodge-eeez-eee-oh") you will be absolutely rolled out the door afterwards. It is a proper all you can eat and they keep coming back with more. The meat is high quality and cooked properly. My advice on it would be to be careful with sides/rice/salad as you can fill up on that too easily. Take the absolute minimum sides and leave plenty of space for the guys to keep bringing back more meat. That's what you're paying for.

Also €11 for a caipirinha is a joke. The bottle of cachaca doesn't even cost that much. Better off drinking beer or wine. I will definitely go back btw. On the point of price/VFM, it is in a very expensive part of Dublin so it's not out of proportion to nearby options tbf. If anyone is thinking of going, note that the rodizio comes in pre-defined two-hour slots. Be on time at worst and ideally a few mins early so you have plenty of opportunity to relax and pace yourself. Expect to eat a lot and maybe skip the previous meal of the day

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Has anyone ever come across the phenomenon of having had kitchens installed and then the doors expanding? We went away on Fri am, came back Weds pm and now have about 5 cabinet doors that don't close.

Will get the kitchen company out but still seems really weird.
        If they're solid hardwood they may have taken on moisture and expanded.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          If they're solid hardwood they may have taken on moisture and expanded.
          They are, and yes that must be it. Not really any fault there I guess and we'll get them out to fix. Bizarre one though!

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Went to see Barbarian at the IFI last night, bonkers movie, would recommend

Comment

Halloween back in the late 90’s when South Park first aired on television.

Comment

I'm in the process of getting rid of the plane to a French guy and in the final round of negotiating I settled for his hard-line price but with a bottle of Chateau Lafite thrown in, which he agreed to. Comical stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                  I'm in the process of getting rid of the plane to a French guy and in the final round of negotiating I settled for his hard-line price but with a bottle of Chateau Lafite thrown in, which he agreed to. Comical stuff!
                  Jesus, now I don't know anyone with their own plane. I feel let down in some way.

Comment

Recall you might have covered this before but curious as to the ballpark purchase cost of a plane like yours + annual running costs? Sad to see it go or glad to be rid of it?!

Emporium End of Month last night only had 18 players with 2 re-entries. Sounds like the IPO took the numbers. Shame. Structure needs a bit of tweaking, some big jumps and the antes come in v late. Even chop with 6 left (3 paid) at 1am about to go to 3k/6k + 6k BBA and ave stack 100k.

Comment

Don't really want to go into specifics but I'll give you a general overview: Prices are very high at the moment, and I sense they're on the way down dramatically...You can spend anything from 30k to 150k+ for a 40 year old 4 seater depending on how close the engine is to needing an overhaul and level of installed avionics (you could spend 100k alone getting all the toys), and also if you just want to buzz about slowly or use it for trips. Planes are kind of like Trigger's broom in that almost everything is replaced at some point in its life.
                      Before the madness, fuel was about €2 a litre and you might burn between 25 and 50l an hour depending on the plane and speed etc. Maintenance could be 3k to 6k or more if you're very unlucky. Hangar between 150 and 500 a month depending on whether you're happy operating from a small strip or want to be in Weston. Insurance about 1k + 1% of plane's value per year.

My own experience of ownership was nightmare from start to finish and about 90/10 split in terms of hassle to enjoyment. Still, something to look back on. There's a saying that the happiest days of a pilot's flying life are the day he buys and the day he sells and it couldn't be more true. With fuel prices, part shortages, and climate pressure I think it's about time to bail out.

Comment

Suddenly horse racing looks a cheap pastime
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

16 y/o birthday party in the house this evening. Mrs D3 has escaped to the pub with her friends on some pretext.

I think their grandmothers would all be very proud of how devout they are as every single sentence contains the words 'oh my God'.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

Recall you might have covered this before but curious as to the ballpark purchase cost of a plane like yours + annual running costs? Sad to see it go or glad to be rid of it?!
                            Simple rule of the 3 Fs for rhe rich man if you want to stay rich. Never own anything that flies, floats or fucks and you'll be grand.

Comment

Neither Hitch's genius kid nor Tar the scoolboy prodigy could topple this amazing talent.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Simple rule of the 3 Fs for rhe rich man if you want to stay rich. Never own anything that flies, floats or fucks and you'll be grand.
                                That's it. Glad I did it all in a way, but the opportunity cost kind of dawned on me when I enjoyed our cruise holiday so much and it cost about half the running cost of the plane for a year. Also thinking about the capital cost being invested for 20 years and how useful it could become in later life.

Comment

That's it. Glad I did it all in a way, but the opportunity cost kind of dawned on me when I enjoyed our cruise holiday so much and it cost about half the running cost of the plane for a year. Also thinking about the capital cost being invested for 20 years and how useful it could become in later life.
                                  Hard to put a price on such an experience, and best not to think about too much. I got a lot of fun out of the nutter physics lecturer that I met IRL once who bought a plane story, and there has to be some value in that
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Maybe twice? I think I remember meeting you at Bull and Castle with Gholi one day after he just got his Irish passport, and then maybe at one of the IPB meetup games? The one in the Jackpot remains to this day as one of my favourite day/nights out of all time.

Comment

The 2011 Christmas night out was also quite something though I did cross the line to 'too drunk' that night. Not sure how it could've happened.

Comment

Maybe twice? I think I remember meeting you at Bull and Castle with Gholi one day after he just got his Irish passport, and then maybe at one of the IPB meetup games? The one in the Jackpot remains to this day as one of my favourite day/nights out of all time.
                                        TBH I only remember the Jackpot one, and that's only because of the video evidence Was it you who's girlfriend had a motorcycle (I think a Kawasiki Er500) stolen at some time, and I remember looking out for it for a while?

Comment

Wonder how much Twitter will change

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

TBH I only remember the Jackpot one, and that's only because of the video evidence Was it you who's girlfriend had a motorcycle (I think a Kawasiki Er500) stolen at some time, and I remember looking out for it for a while?
                                            Yep. Good memory. Don't think it was that model but can't remember what it was.

Comment

Don't really want to go into specifics but I'll give you a general overview: Prices are very high at the moment, and I sense they're on the way down dramatically...You can spend anything from 30k to 150k+ for a 40 year old 4 seater depending on how close the engine is to needing an overhaul and level of installed avionics (you could spend 100k alone getting all the toys), and also if you just want to buzz about slowly or use it for trips. Planes are kind of like Trigger's broom in that almost everything is replaced at some point in its life.
                                              Before the madness, fuel was about €2 a litre and you might burn between 25 and 50l an hour depending on the plane and speed etc. Maintenance could be 3k to 6k or more if you're very unlucky. Hangar between 150 and 500 a month depending on whether you're happy operating from a small strip or want to be in Weston. Insurance about 1k + 1% of plane's value per year.

My own experience of ownership was nightmare from start to finish and about 90/10 split in terms of hassle to enjoyment. Still, something to look back on. There's a saying that the happiest days of a pilot's flying life are the day he buys and the day he sells and it couldn't be more true. With fuel prices, part shortages, and climate pressure I think it's about time to bail out.
                                              TLDR :the wife finally got her way

no shame- I have to smuggle new golf clubs into the house - you had a fair swing at it
                                              Last edited by MysteryGuest; 28-10-22, 21:38.
                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

The 2011 Christmas night out was also quite something though I did cross the line to 'too drunk' that night. Not sure how it could've happened.

Where was that one again? That shirt looks familiar so think I was probably there. I think we had a night once where we met in Dicey's maybe? I remember being there early with you and Dom and maybe Paudie and things getting loose once Gholimoli turned up.

Comment

16 y/o birthday party in the house this evening. Mrs D3 has escaped to the pub with her friends on some pretext.

I think their grandmothers would all be very proud of how devout they are as every single sentence contains the words 'oh my God'.
                                                  Any drink?

(i just remember the dilemma someone here has with his daughter of a similar age going to a party. Think she wanted a bottle of bacardi or something?)

Comment

Poker a fickle mistress. The deck hit me in the face in Killarney and cruised to day 2 for a decent cash. Couldn't hit a card at the IPO and grinded it out to eventually lose a flip and bust early ish.

Did manage to introduce myself to GAB who is looking suitably dapper as I would've expected. So it wasn't all bad

we go again tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Where was that one again? That shirt looks familiar so think I was probably there. I think we had a night once where we met in Dicey's maybe? I remember being there early with you and Dom and maybe Paudie and things getting loose once Gholimoli turned up.
                                                      I think there's another picture with both of us in the beer garden. Thread says Russell Court Hotel. Remember eating with you in Thornton's one night with Paudie and Cardshark and possibly going to somewhere that might have been called The Capital? Could have been a different night though.

Comment

I think there's another picture with both of us in the beer garden. Thread says Russell Court Hotel. Remember eating with you in Thornton's one night with Paudie and Cardshark and possibly going to somewhere that might have been called The Capital? Could have been a different night though.
                                                        Yeah Russell Court is Dicey's so that's the night I'm thinking of. There was another guy with us in Thornton's I didn't know, was his name Peter? Think he was on here as bakedbeanz but didn't really post. That was my first time ever spending big money on a meal, still remember a tiny little spoon of truffle powder and a glass of white (!?) pinot noir as moments of realization that a meal can be something really special. Good chance we ended up in the Capital alright, if memory serves that was (is?) a kind of cocktail bar up around Aungier St.

Only occurring to me now that I don't think I've set foot in Dublin other than going up and down for a Kerry match since 2018. I must remedy that. When I moved up first all wet behind the ears any time you'd bump into an IPBer would be great excitement.

Comment

Yeah Russell Court is Dicey's so that's the night I'm thinking of. There was another guy with us in Thornton's I didn't know, was his name Peter? Think he was on here as bakedbeanz but didn't really post. That was my first time ever spending big money on a meal, still remember a tiny little spoon of truffle powder and a glass of white (!?) pinot noir as moments of realization that a meal can be something really special. Good chance we ended up in the Capital alright, if memory serves that was (is?) a kind of cocktail bar up around Aungier St.

Only occurring to me now that I don't think I've set foot in Dublin other than going up and down for a Kerry match since 2018. I must remedy that. When I moved up first all wet behind the ears any time you'd bump into an IPBer would be great excitement.
                                                          That sounds like you're volunteering to organise a night out.

I'm in

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1726678&d=1666999825&type=thumb

In the market myself . Plane mad fecker kid cant move without trampling on a Finnair . The ultimate ignominy has been parking beside the plane spotter anoraks at Dublin Airport.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

That sounds like you're volunteering to organise a night out.

I'm in
                                                              IPB roadtrip to Gneeveguilla. Lock the gates.

Comment

This is a great thread,

A great one that I never knew is Roxanne. That little wonky piano chord and laugh at the start was Sting hitting the piano with his arse. It sounded cool so they left it in.

Comment

They are, and yes that must be it. Not really any fault there I guess and we'll get them out to fix. Bizarre one though!
                                                                  I sold hardwood flooring in a previous life. A major part of the install was getting moisture levels to an equilibrium, bringing the moisture content of the wood in line with that of the house before it was laid.

In a new build with newly plastered walls you couldn't deliver the flooring for sometimes up to 4x weeks until the plaster had dried out.

Then the flooring would be left sit in the house for a week or so to expand or contract and equalise with the house. It would be installed once it's stable.

Not doing the above would mean after a short time the floor would expand and buckle.

If you had newly skimmed walls the hardwood doors would have taken on the emmited moisture like a sponge.

A dehumidifier might be the best solution, rather than the kitchen people shaving the doors to make fit.

They will shrink back naturally most likely, so shaving them now may cause a future issue.

Comment

Just in case anyone is getting hardwood flooring right now and worried about the above. That was the days before engineered flooring, was all solid French Oak. Engineered flooring has a 6 to 8mm layer of hardwood on top of stable MDF or HDF so isn't prone to the above issues. Takes on minimal moisture.

Comment

You introduced me to pale ales that day. You were drinking Sierra Nevada and I'd never heard of it nor tasted it. Influencer.

Comment

dobby or anyone else who’s been at the IPO. I know there is extra parking across the road but will that be enough for today too? Would I need to arrive before 2 to get parking even there?

Comment

Has anyone ever come across the phenomenon of having had kitchens installed and then the doors expanding? We went away on Fri am, came back Weds pm and now have about 5 cabinet doors that don't close.

Will get the kitchen company out but still seems really weird.

did they lay the floor before the kitchen was fitted as that can sometimes cause a few issues re movement

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

You introduced me to pale ales that day. You were drinking Sierra Nevada and I'd never heard of it nor tasted it. Influencer.
                                                                            Still my daily beer to this day!

Comment

Travelling to Spain today, and it seems there is some 'Advanced Passenger Information' needed. Tried filling it in, and it says 'can't use passport card'. That can't be right, can it?
                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                Young lad jailed for 3.5 years. Stabbed an intruder who broke into his home and assaulted him.(the assailant thought the other lad had damaged his car so probably known to each other) The guy who broke in was bigger with powerful build while he was smaller and slight. The article states there was some suggestion he assaulted his mother also

The jury thought the force used was excessive.

WTF are you supposed to do when some big fucker assaults you in your own home after smashing their way in...harsh language?
                                                                                Wait till they have the better of you and then make your move ...oh sorry too late.

I suppose the finer details would shed more light on it but what are you expected to do in these situations when you're panicking. Guy could have a screwdriver or something ....oh judge I was changing a plug earlier!

​​​​​​Ever case is different

I am very familiar with this case as this is in Dunmore, I live in the next village and my work buddy was the witness and friend of the dead guy Jack. I play golf with a lot of locals and the general consensus was it was manslaughter. The killer and the family were an absolute nuisance in the village before it and was vandalising property, known drug dealer and just a prick in general.

Yes the dead guy was bigger, but he was unarmed and the thing about "assaulting" the mother was bullshit. He basically pushed her off himself as he entered the house/was just shouting by the hallway. This was all done in seconds. Because that's when my work buddy came to the door and the killer came at Jack with the knife. There was no scuffle before, only shouting as the killer had broken lights on his car for the craic. Right in front of his eyes he was stabbed.

Neither the dead guy or my work buddy had any criminal record while this guy had a bucket load of convictions and he's only 17 but the judge said this could not count obviously against the defendant. It was basically who the jury believed between the 2 witness accounts and obviously they believed this version

Was he wrong to go in, obviously yes but in fairness who else would be annoyed when someone vandalises your property. He made the wrong decision and it cost him his life. Yes they were on coke for the night but hadn't done too much and they were pretty drunk but not legless. My work buddy didn't go in to the house technically. He only heard that his frined was going up the road to the house and ran up after him a minute later and walked into him getting stabbed. Tough one to forget, nevermind all these social media comments calling his friend a scumbag/got what he deserved etc. Every case is different, and not many outside the people there will know what happened for definite

Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

That was Halfbaked. Think I only met him 3 times, all at dinners out. Captial might have been a diff night now that I think of it (think you're right on location).

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                    dobby or anyone else who’s been at the IPO. I know there is extra parking across the road but will that be enough for today too? Would I need to arrive before 2 to get parking even there?
                                                                                    College across the road will easily match demand.
                                                                                    Be grand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

​​​​​​Ever case is different

I am very familiar with this case as this is in Dunmore, I live in the next village and my work buddy was the witness and friend of the dead guy Jack. I play golf with a lot of locals and the general consensus was it was manslaughter. The killer and the family were an absolute nuisance in the village before it and was vandalising property, known drug dealer and just a prick in general.

Yes the dead guy was bigger, but he was unarmed and the thing about "assaulting" the mother was bullshit. He basically pushed her off himself as he entered the house/was just shouting by the hallway. This was all done in seconds. Because that's when my work buddy came to the door and the killer came at Jack with the knife. There was no scuffle before, only shouting as the killer had broken lights on his car for the craic. Right in front of his eyes he was stabbed.

Neither the dead guy or my work buddy had any criminal record while this guy had a bucket load of convictions and he's only 17 but the judge said this could not count obviously against the defendant. It was basically who the jury believed between the 2 witness accounts and obviously they believed this version

Was he wrong to go in, obviously yes but in fairness who else would be annoyed when someone vandalises your property. He made the wrong decision and it cost him his life. Yes they were on coke for the night but hadn't done too much and they were pretty drunk but not legless. My work buddy didn't go in to the house technically. He only heard that his frined was going up the road to the house and ran up after him a minute later and walked into him getting stabbed. Tough one to forget, nevermind all these social media comments calling his friend a scumbag/got what he deserved etc. Every case isyes different, and not many outside the people there will know what happened for definite
                                                                                      Yes I thought there might be more to it hence the finer details would shed more light comment.

The point I guess I was (clumsily) trying to get at is what constitutes reasonable force. If you find yourself confronted by an intruder you may be forced into making a pre emptive strike due to the fear of what might happen to you or kids etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                        You'll be fine across the road. Don't even go near the hotel, even if you're early and find a space. A load of thick cunts decided they could just park right in front of parked cars last night. I managed to squeeze out but reception was mayhem with lads looking for the hotel staff to find the culprits.

I'll be heading straight to the school car park today. Its Clonturk Community College on Google maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                          Travelling to Spain today, and it seems there is some 'Advanced Passenger Information' needed. Tried filling it in, and it says 'can't use passport card'. That can't be right, can it?
                                                                                          Has the system changed in the last few weeks?
                                                                                          Was in Benidorm at the start of the month and there was nothing to be filled in for Covid or anything else.
                                                                                          (was mildly amusing seeing the UK passengers have to go to a separate queue in Alicante airport to show their certs and get random swab tests)

edit: Googling suggests API is just the passport info you give at check-in. I always use my main passport here so don't know if cards are an issue.
                                                                                          In general I'd suggest to use paper passport in Spain anyway, the airports are a pain otherwise as you can't use the electronic gates with the card and have to queue with the Brits which can be a pain if you're flight is unlucky enough to co-incide with 3 or 4 easyjets.

Comment

edit doesn't seem to work (would have been a handy feature in werewolf days)

addition
                                                                                            edit: Googling suggests API is just the passport info you give at check-in. I always use my main passport here so don't know if cards are an issue.
                                                                                            In general I'd suggest to use paper passport in Spain anyway, the airports are a pain otherwise as you can't use the electronic gates with the card and have to queue with the Brits which can be a pain if your flight is unlucky enough to co-incide with 3 or 4 easyjets.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Any drink?

(i just remember the dilemma someone here has with his daughter of a similar age going to a party. Think she wanted a bottle of bacardi or something?)
                                                                                              No, sushi and soft drinks was the order of the day. The couple of lads who showed were intimidated away by the girls.

I just stayed out of the way and paid for stuff, which seems to be the accepted order of fatherhood at such events.

Comment

... If by some random chance anyone would have 3 spare tickets to the Samhain walk in Marley park today or tomorrow that would be Amazing... They are free tickets but limited, and each ticket is for 6 people, so if you have one and only 3 going, it would be great...

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                  edit doesn't seem to work (would have been a handy feature in werewolf days)

addition
                                                                                                  In general I'd suggest to use paper passport in Spain anyway, the airports are a pain otherwise as you can't use the electronic gates with the card and have to queue with the Brits which can be a pain if your flight is unlucky enough to co-incide with 3 or 4 easyjets.
                                                                                                  Ah feck. Didn't realise that and ended up listing passport cards for the flight out and full passports for the way back. Let's see how that works Although electronic gates don't work for under 18s anyway afair.

Comment

Those crazy Swuitzerlanders

18005306-v0-r5s-4056.jpeg?imdensity=1&ratio=free&x=0&y=0&width=5552&height=3728&imwidth=650.jpg

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1726708&d=1667058808&type=thumb EPIC Rainbow . Fenians Rainbow
                                                                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Some odds on a Leeds and Forest double .

Comment

Bill Burr on Tim Dillons pod this morning. Only listened to the audio, but Burr seemed so uncomfortable with the obvious fan boy stuff Tim was at at times

Comment

Did the Klopps go back last night?
                                                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Food is unreal here in Madrid. Everything a hit. Lunch was a few tapas, including deer with truffle on relish, and seared tuna with pistachio and chilli sauce. Each a few euro. They can't seem to take a step wrong.

Comment

Up in sandyford doing some deeply boring furniture shopping. Reward was a trip to China Sichuan for lunch. Had been before but holy smokes!

Comment

Crazy shit happening in Brazil today. Polls close at 8pm.

The federal police had established roadblocks across Brazil in Lula/PT strongholds, particularly the northeast, with over 500 operations confirmed by Globo News. Performing searches on cars and slowing traffic down throughout the region. The electoral court had decreed previously that the federal police were not to perform any kind of measures to interrupt traffic. As well as to ensure a maximum no of buses and free public transport so the electorate could freely vote. Anything to help relieve the big queues to vote in round 1.

People called for the director of federal police to be put in front of the electoral court (essentially the supreme court during the election period) to explain what is happening. The Head Supreme/Electoral Court Judge came on TV now to give his update on how the election has been proceeding home and abroad. He said he had received assurances that any traffic measures would be "normal" - eg remove unroadworthy vehicles or speeding fines. He didn't say much else of substance.

If the polls were accurate it's gone from a small margin of victory for Lula to now a coinflip at best . It's not quite a full-on coup but more than enough manipulation and interference to tip the balance. Results will come through around 1am but I'm not not optimistic for a Lula win at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                    How come none of you have mentioned Dr Sleep . Loved it .How did i miss it when it came out 1st

Danny Torrance story continues 40 years later.
                                                                                                                    Just watched it there. A remarkable horror film.

Comment

Comment

UTG raises, UTG+1 ships for 25bbs, Murdrum ships for 20bbs and UTG calls.

UTG wins the 3-way all in and UTG+1 gets the cash as they had me outchipped.

Murdrum bubbles.

TBH, I had totally forgotten about that rule which was the worst part.

I did get a phone call on my sad walk to the car to say they’d put me in next year so not all bad.

Comment

What did you have?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X