Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitch the influencer clearly trying to build a profile that will get him approved to the Raya app.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Not very smart to bet the entire farm on the profits of a handful of multinationals (and the income of their high earners) but I guess we went down that road long before now..
      €2bn into a rainy day fund because of this, €4bn a year from next year. Its the presumed 'excess' corporation tax.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The Minister said corporation tax receipts are not being used for permanent increases in spending. There will be a new metric (GGB*) to monitor the health of the exchequer receipts when multinational income is excluded.

Comment

Not very smart to bet the entire farm on the profits of a handful of multinationals (and the income of their high earners) but I guess we went down that road long before now..
          We are about as over reliant on them as Europe is on Russian energy. Look how that is going.
          Our days of being " a hub of tax avoidance" are numbered. I'm sure there is a contingency plan in place though
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

1000 extra guards with current number of 14500 seems fairly substantial

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Business is fucked anyway for now.
              ​​now. Lost too many customers.
              So many just leaving it to the last minute the lazy bastards.

Will have to reinvent myself...."Budget offer consultant'
              No clue what I'm going to do. Still have part time job so won't starve ha ha

Welcome to dinekes Museum of the Pandemic™. Just €19.99 each and kids go free!
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

€2bn into a rainy day fund because of this, €4bn a year from next year. Its the presumed 'excess' corporation tax.
                Ah yes, the rainy day fund.

We used to have a National Pension Reserve Fund so colour me sceptical of such alleged prudence.

Comment

'Referendums' starting in illegally occupied Ukraine today. I wonder what the vote has already been rigged at?

99.9% seems a bit too Stalinist. Anyone want to set the line on the overwhelming desire of these Ukrainians to be permanently joined with their RuSSian brethren? I'll say 85%.
                  Jesus, I would have lost all the loots (and given RuSSia too much credit for wanting a fig leaf of opposition). They went for the full-on Stalinist vote.

Russian state news agency RIA said the initial counts showed majorities ranging from 96.97% in the Kherson region, based on 14% of votes counted, to 98.19% in Zaporizhzhia, based on 18% of the count.

The majorities in the so-called Donetsk and Luhansk people’s republics were just under 98%, with 14% and 13% respectively of votes tallied.

Comment

The teacher:student ratio dropping and creating 370 new teaching jobs is great news for those of us in a final year of a degree and will be looking for placements next September

It seems that I've perfectly timed something that was very much a pipe dream only 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                      The teacher:student ratio dropping and creating 370 new teaching jobs is great news for those of us in a final year of a degree and will be looking for placements next September

It seems that I've perfectly timed something that was very much a pipe dream only 5 years ago.
                      Are you going primary or secondary? (and what subjects)

Comment

Academic Twitter is vomit for the most part. "Delighted to be...(doing this mundane part of my job)"..."Honoured to be...(humblebragging for kudos)". Fuck off....nobody cares.

Comment

That was a fine budget? If they have a few years of handing out money like that - particularly on improved social benefits - I can't see any opposition having much to argue when it comes to election time. Things like scrapping hospital charges, giving free school books, tend not to cost much, but because people expect them to cost money, they probably generate a decent sense of 'gratitude' and visibility on the tax being spent well.
                          None of it matters thanks to their cowardly capitulation to the Jackpot winners who get to retire at 66 last week.
                          can kickers is all they are
                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

€2bn into a rainy day fund because of this, €4bn a year from next year the presumed 'excess' corporation tax.
                            LOL it will just get raided to pay for some avoidable fuck up that isn’t the taxpayers fault
                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                Academic Twitter is vomit for the most part. "Delighted to be...(doing this mundane part of my job)"..."Honoured to be...(humblebragging for kudos)". Fuck off....nobody cares.
                                you’re just bitter because you never topped your viral dishwasher tweet from years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                  1000 extra guards with current number of 14500 seems fairly substantial
                                  Staff retention seems to be an issue, highest number they’ve seen leave in a year was reported at the beginning of 2022.

It seems like an area of the public sector that may struggle even more to recruit but it does appear like a substantial increase

Comment

He still has it as his pinned Tweet, I see!

Comment

Jesus, I would have lost all the loots (and given RuSSia too much credit for wanting a fig leaf of opposition). They went for the full-on Stalinist vote.

And the ~3% are likely on their way to a mass grave currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                        Staff retention seems to be an issue, highest number they’ve seen leave in a year was reported at the beginning of 2022.

It seems like an area of the public sector that may struggle even more to recruit but it does appear like a substantial increase
                                        Do you still retire on a full pension at 50?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

LOL it will just get raided to pay for some avoidable fuck up that isn’t the taxpayers fault
                                          Or SF to hand out more dole money.

Comment

They're sabotaging the pipeline now...the old propaganda reverso trick coming up shortly as justification for even more egregious violence.

Energy prices bound to take another jump now.
                                            Not too far off being €1 for 1 unit of energy

Bord Gais @ 77c per unit for 24 hour
                                            Nightsaver is Day @ 88C Night @ 42c

There are some cheaper fixed rates but not for long.

​​​​​​

Comment

Are you going primary or secondary? (and what subjects)
                                              Secondary. History and Geography. Will add non-exam subjects such as CSPE, SPHE, etc to that also.

Comment

Budget calculator here:

Read, share and shape the news on TheJournal.ie - Breaking Irish and International News

Some decent gains...
                                                Not looked too much but what do low income people get apart from child stuff, 100 quid, energy credit and rent credit? Anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                  Not looked too much but what do low income people get apart from child stuff, 100 quid, energy credit and rent credit? Anything else?
                                                  €0.80 increase in minimum wage, increase in USC so they still don't pay tax. It's very low tax up to €40k anyway. About 14% on €30k, i think. Theres not much you can reduce. With the extra benefits received its probably no tax being paid by most people under €30k. It's a pretty big deal compared to other countries, where the social contract dictates that everyone should pay something.

But the majority of full time workers earn over €40k - about 55-60%, so the majority of full-time workers benefit from the higher rate changes.

Comment

I suppose the bigger thing is the increase in the housing budget from €4bn to €4.5bn, which is primarily aimed at that income group. The big billion-euro items though tend not to get the headlines!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Secondary. History and Geography. Will add non-exam subjects such as CSPE, SPHE, etc to that also.
                                                      Longer holidays being balanced out by spending your day with teenagers. I predict a riot.

Comment

Comment

I suppose the bigger thing is the increase in the housing budget from €4bn to €4.5bn, which is primarily aimed at that income group. The big billion-euro items though tend not to get the headlines!
                                                          They should have cut income tax by 5 percentage points and not built anything - said we are the government of the homeowning, tax-paying middle class and fuck the rest of yiz.

Not like they get any votes for trying to be inclusive so why bother?

Comment

They should have cut income tax by 5 percentage points and not built anything - said we are the government of the homeowning, tax-paying middle class and fuck the rest of yiz.

Not like they get any votes for trying to be inclusive so why bother?
                                                            It's extraordinary isn't it, we have what is in practice one of the most redistributive governments in the developed world, operating well inside the top quarter of all the indicators for quality of life like health, education, longevity , infrastructure. Obviously its not utopia especially in how we have gone from a devastating economic collapse cause to a situation of huge net migration and like most of Europe we have a severe housing crisis in our main economic centres. But if you listen to the radio, read a newspaper or spend a few minutes on Twitter you'd think that we were in a badly run Mozambique and doomed to replace the government with an extreme populist party who are promising to collapse the economy and start a civil war.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I think the childcare benefit is almost very good but given it’s tied to the NCS rather than casting a wider net means that it doesn’t nearly benefit as many people as it should.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

It's extraordinary isn't it, we have what is in practice one of the most redistributive governments in the developed world, operating well inside the top quarter of all the indicators for quality of life like health, education, longevity , infrastructure. Obviously its not utopia especially in how we have gone from a devastating economic collapse cause to a situation of huge net migration and like most of Europe we have a severe housing crisis in our main economic centres. But if you listen to the radio, read a newspaper or spend a few minutes on Twitter you'd think that we were in a badly run Mozambique and doomed to replace the government with an extreme populist party who are promising to collapse the economy and start a civil war.
                                                                Well, you don't want to let Fine Gael members know that if Karl Marx had been born in 1990s Ireland he'd probably be a senior member of their party (or at least a special advisor).
                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Longer holidays being balanced out by spending your day with teenagers. I predict a riot.
                                                                  Haha. Worked in Dunboyne from March to May under some scheme they had available due to covid. So I was down as a "covid supervisor" and got 4 full days a week for the time I was there. Absolutely loved it. Didn't take it too seriously because I was covering any kind of class from Woodwork to Home Ec and everything in between. Some classes had work left for them but mostly was just making sure they didn't kill each other.

Was more about learning about how school works and interacting with teenagers because I'll be taught how to teach over the next few years in college. But a lot of classes I had regularly were asking if I was coming back and when I said no, they all said the sound ones always leave which was nice to hear what they thought of me. But yeah, really enjoyed it, no riots.

Comment

I love Ireland but I'd never move back and the simple reason is so many mundane, and even not so mundane things, are just a little bit harder in Ireland. It's not one major reason, its the incessant paper cuts of living there, the small little things that on their own are meaningless and trivial but when added up, it's just aggravating.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                      I think the childcare benefit is almost very good but given it’s tied to the NCS rather than casting a wider net means that it doesn’t nearly benefit as many people as it should.
                                                                      What does that mean in practice? I'm just not familiar with the childcare setup in the country.

Comment

€0.80 increase in minimum wage, increase in USC so they still don't pay tax. It's very low tax up to €40k anyway. About 14% on €30k, i think. Theres not much you can reduce. With the extra benefits received its probably no tax being paid by most people under €30k. It's a pretty big deal compared to other countries, where the social contract dictates that everyone should pay something.

But the majority of full time workers earn over €40k - about 55-60%, so the majority of full-time workers benefit from the higher rate changes.
                                                                        It's the most positive budget I can remember. Great to be able to do it.

Only issue I have is the lower paid (30k or less) benefit from around €4 per week while the 'choose not to work' get €12.

This line is getting increasingly hard to justify. And no doubt some of those are on the wrong side of it because of the inequity here.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                          I love Ireland but I'd never move back and the simple reason is so many mundane, and even not so mundane things, are just a little bit harder in Ireland. It's not one major reason, its the incessant paper cuts of living there, the small little things that on their own are meaningless and trivial but when added up, it's just aggravating.
                                                                          I'd imagine the swinger scene is quite limited too (appologias if it wasn't you who teased a story).

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

Only issue I have is the lower paid (30k or less) benefit from around €4 per week while the 'choose not to work' get €12.

This line is getting increasingly hard to justify. And no doubt some of those are on the wrong side of it because of the inequity here.
                                                                            Don't disagree, though don't think there was much choice on the €12 social welfare upgrade (which barely covers inflation). €4 for people working is pure shite though,

Comment

What does that mean in practice? I'm just not familiar with the childcare setup in the country.
                                                                              NCS subsidies “regulated” childcare by 50c per hour for up to 45 hours per week and that’s due to be boosted to 1.40e. That’s not means tested so benefits everyone.

Those on income assessment get more but I’d guess more people in the lower income brackets save more by being in the unregulated space anyway so it probably disproportionately benefits higher earners.

ECC hours which kick in when child turns 2-3(depending on month) is quite good provided you can get a space.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

Think they missed a trick by not putting up the minimum wage to €12 an hour. Show a substantial effort to help, with a knockout blow on minimum wage. As it is, its €450 vs €220 (ignoring the substantial other benefits of being on welfare). You could have a two minimum wage household earning nearly a grand a week and not paying tax. It starts to seem 'okay', even if not exactly fun. Probably decent outside Dublin though - 45k a year - for a household?

Comment

Well if ya get sick here you wont lose 40k for an Appendix op.

Its not such a tough gig living here in 2022. This generation is pampered . If the 1980s invaded us now , they'd eat us alive .

its also not Canada , no need for houses to have the heating on full blast . A few cold showers be good for what ails ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Its not such a tough gig living here in 2022. This generation is pampered . If the 1980s invaded us now , they'd eat us aliv

its also not Canada , no need for houses to have the heating on full blast . A few cold showers be good for what ails ya.
                                                                                    Ah, lets agree that things have been getting better in general. I sometimes think of my paternal grandmother, who pumped out 13 kids (11 of which survived) In the 20s/30s. They went on to spawn like a virus too, I stopped calculating cousins on that side when I got to 150. Whether it's education or available contraception I'm so glad my siblings(and their generation ) put an end to that madness.

Comment

Think they missed a trick by not putting up the minimum wage to €12 an hour. Show a substantial effort to help, with a knockout blow on minimum wage. As it is, its €450 vs €220 (ignoring the substantial other benefits of being on welfare). You could have a two minimum wage household earning nearly a grand a week and not paying tax. It starts to seem 'okay', even if not exactly fun. Probably decent outside Dublin though - 45k a year - for a household?
                                                                                      Care to expand on the 'substantial benefits of living on welfare'? I was delighted to get my €33 fuel allowance today, though I'm hardly heading around to the Aquarium for a few spins on the wheel.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Care to expand on the 'substantial benefits of living on welfare'? I was delighted to get my €33 fuel allowance today, though I'm hardly heading around to the Aquarium for a few spins on the wheel.
                                                                                          I was thinking of HAP, primarily. This is clearly a big deal if you are comparing €450 vs €220. It is €700 a month for HAP for a single person or up to €1,250 for a couple with a kid. Also the extra childcare allowance and dependent allowances. So those would make the €220 a lot higher (I think, therefore, 'substantial').

While you may own a home, the majority of people on social welfare probably don't own homes, so HAP would be a big factor. Even for a single person, it changes the equation from €450 employed vs €220 welfare: to €450 vs €380. So reasonably similar, or at least not much of an incentive to go out and work 40 hours for €70 more.

The solution, of course, is to pay more for work hence why I said: "Think they missed a trick by not putting up the minimum wage to €12 an hour. Show a substantial effort to help, with a knockout blow on minimum wage."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd imagine the swinger scene is quite limited too (appologias if it wasn't you who teased a story).
                                                                                            You'd never know I suppose.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Its not such a tough gig living here in 2022. This generation is pampered . If the 1980s invaded us now , they'd eat us alive .

its also not Canada , no need for houses to have the heating on full blast . A few cold showers be good for what ails ya..
                                                                                            I don't think its hard to live in Ireland, I just think its harder than here.
                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

You'd never know I suppose.

I don't think its hard to live in Ireland, I just think its harder than here.
                                                                                              Curious as to what are the micro/paper cuts that add up to not living here?

Comment

I was thinking of HAP, primarily. This is clearly a big deal if you are comparing €450 vs €220. It is €700 a month for HAP for a single person or up to €1,250 for a couple with a kid. Also the extra childcare allowance and dependent allowances. So those would make the €220 a lot higher (I think, therefore, 'substantial').

While you may own a home, the majority of people on social welfare probably don't own homes, so HAP would be a big factor. Even for a single person, it changes the equation from €450 employed vs €220 welfare: to €450 vs €380. So reasonably similar, or at least not much of an incentive to go out and work 40 hours for €70 more.

The solution, of course, is to pay more for work hence why I said: "Think they missed a trick by not putting up the minimum wage to €12 an hour. Show a substantial effort to help, with a knockout blow on minimum wage."
                                                                                                Yeah they should have raised it more, I agree. They are meant to be bringing in a living wage, which they should be more aggressive with, it's set to be over €13 for 2023, even that has you screwed in Dublin. The hardest hit got the least. As for HAP, it's impossible to be accepted to a new place if you need HAP - landlords just pick someone else, and everywhere costs more than the limits now anyway so you get refused. I've seen people trying to get a place with HAP for years without success. Mostly the success is lying that you dont need it and getting it after you are locked into a place with part IV rights (6 months).

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Curious as to what are the micro/paper cuts that add up to not living here?
                                                                                                  Calgary and Dublin are very similar sized cities.

Some small examples I guess, all subjective of course and definitely some things specific to my situation or past experience.

Going to a family doctor. You can only be seen for one ailment, otherwise book again, AND you have to pay. Not the case here.
                                                                                                  Tolls on roads. Not a thing here.
                                                                                                  Traffic and downtown driving. Everything gridded here, parking handy. Commute is easy.
                                                                                                  Availability of Off Leash Dog Parks. I don't know if I've ever heard of one in Ireland. All gov/municipally provided here, free, and excellent.
                                                                                                  Irelands general mobile LTE/3g/4g/Interenet coverage and latency is poor.
                                                                                                  Trying to get the dole/social welfare in Ireland is a mission. All online here, no questions asked as you are entitled to it. No hoops to jump other than uploading a doc that every employer gives you when you finish.
                                                                                                  Pensions could not be more straightforward here. Two personal options, one with employer, all going into the same pool. Moving contributions and knowing your balances/investment etc etc all very simple.

People will respond and say some of these issues aren't an issue for them, cool. For me its just a culmination of lots of little things that make it that bit harder.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Theresa; 28-09-22, 14:27.

Comment

Yeah they should have raised it more, I agree. They are meant to be bringing in a living wage, which they should be more aggressive with, it's set to be over €13 for 2023, even that has you screwed in Dublin. The hardest hit got the least. As for HAP, it's impossible to be accepted to a new place if you need HAP - landlords just pick someone else, and everywhere costs more than the limits now anyway so you get refused. I've seen people trying to get a place with HAP for years without success. Mostly the success is lying that you dont need it and getting it after you are locked into a place with part IV rights (6 months).
                                                                                                    72,000 people renting with HAP assistance at the moment, an increase of 10,000 in the last year, so its definitely not 'impossible to be accepted'

Comment

72,000 people renting with HAP assistance at the moment, an increase of 10,000 in the last year, so its definitely not 'impossible to be accepted'
                                                                                                      People registering when they already live somewhere. The people eligible dwarf that number.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 28-09-22, 14:33.

Comment

This UK bond market news is just madness. 50-year bonds changing yields by 1% in a day. Almost unheard of style moves.

Comment

People registering when they already live somewhere.
                                                                                                          I guess that doesn't really counter the general point about the extra financial benefits of HAP in addition to basic social security, if so many people are able to successfully use it.

Comment

.

Comment

This UK bond market news is just madness. 50-year bonds changing yields by 1% in a day. Almost unheard of style moves.
                                                                                                              Safe to say that Truss channelling her inner Maggie hasn't exactly impressed the markets.

This is what I was talking about when imperceptible historical trends suddenly speed up and gigantic fault lines get exposed. It's happening to the UK right now. Hard to see how they get out of it too. It won't be costless for us either.

Comment

.

What, they had to derisk and reallocate? Must go take a look...

Comment

So THIS is a code RED .

Comment

What, they had to derisk and reallocate? Must go take a look...
                                                                                                                    Report back! I don't fully follow the whole thing, except for the general sense of madness unfolding. Surely Kwasi must be gone, at a minimum, but probably nobody knew who he was until last week, so that's only an individual tragedy rather than a big move. The Scaramucci of our own continent.

Comment

Could one of you nice Finance guys explain the UK pension debt and the potential collapse effects ? Also how do we fare in comparison? Is the UK debt really 10 trillion ? Is it monopoly money? How would EU membership have prevented this?

Comment

Going to a family doctor. You can only be seen for one ailment, otherwise book again, AND you have to pay. Not the case here.
                                                                                                                        Is that really a thing here?
                                                                                                                        I very rarely have to go to the doctor (although probably should go more, but that’s a different matter) so wouldn’t really know.
                                                                                                                        Seems very odd to me that you would be turned away cause you have more than one ailment.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Is that really a thing here?
                                                                                                                          I very rarely have to go to the doctor (although probably should go more, but that’s a different matter) so wouldn’t really know.
                                                                                                                          Seems very odd to me that you would be turned away cause you have more than one ailment.
                                                                                                                          Not a thing here imo. Ive went with an injury and we discussed other ailments . Actually and impulsively burnt off a skin tag. No extra charge.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X