This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    We've gone mad on the home improvements recently. Brought back our Romanian friend to sort out the inside of the house - get all the doors painted, loads of rooms needed finishing. Man, he's a superstar. House finally looks finished. If anyone is in the market for someone to turn up and just be sound and know what he is doing, this guy is the guy.

Everything cash, but he knows everyone.

Then we tackled the thorny issue of the front door. Its taken me a year to get used to the idea that a front door might cost more than five grand, but there seems no getting away from it. This evening then was sending off the check for the external insulation deposit. Going to be snug as a bug in a rug in due course.

I guess end up with a high B rating maybe, when added together with the solar, windows, deep-insulated hot water tank, underfloor insulation. Probably best not to add up the overall cost of all that.

Just the attic conversion left and it will finally be done. Then start on the permissions for the new gaff next door. Not sure where the money for either of those will come from. €20k to get a house through planning to built in architect fees, plus maybe €35k for a well-fitted-out, legal square meterage, attic conversion?
    We’re looking into the attic conversion at the moment. It’s already completely floored which came as standard from the builders along with whatever else regarding joisting is required for a conversion.

I hate the idea of losing space in the box room in order to put in a stairs but having priced a flat roof extension, I’m unwilling to go there because I’m not convinced we won’t want to move and I don’t think we’d recoup the investment if we sell.
    The attic conversion and solar panels are likely to be recouped.

Currently deciding if we put in some form of dormer but I’m afraid it’ll look very out of place.
    Also, thinking of making the conversion one master suite so perhaps an en-suite too which will significantly increase the cost.
    We can probably get a basic conversion for around 20K but probably closer to your 35k price for everything we want.

Comment

ah - the stairs goes into the box room? feck. Was planning on converting that into an office.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

36k for our attic starting next month. Dormer. No bathroom and not including electrics.. Already rinsed 2.5k on a wanker of an architect. Won't be too much change from 50k when it's all finished.

Comment

ah - the stairs goes into the box room? feck. Was planning on converting that into an office.
          That's my plan too. I'm working out of my 4 year old's bedroom at the moment. Can't see me never not needing an office at this point hence the conversion. Will still get a small but decent office from the boxroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
            36k for our attic starting next month. Dormer. No bathroom and not including electrics.. Already rinsed 2.5k on a wanker of an architect. Won't be too much change from 50k when it's all finished.
            The architect didn't add much value?

Comment

We've gone mad on the home improvements recently. Brought back our Romanian friend to sort out the inside of the house - get all the doors painted, loads of rooms needed finishing. Man, he's a superstar. House finally looks finished. If anyone is in the market for someone to turn up and just be sound and know what he is doing, this guy is the guy.

Everything cash, but he knows everyone.

Then we tackled the thorny issue of the front door. Its taken me a year to get used to the idea that a front door might cost more than five grand, but there seems no getting away from it. This evening then was sending off the check for the external insulation deposit. Going to be snug as a bug in a rug in due course.

I guess end up with a high B rating maybe, when added together with the solar, windows, deep-insulated hot water tank, underfloor insulation. Probably best not to add up the overall cost of all that.

Just the attic conversion left and it will finally be done. Then start on the permissions for the new gaff next door. Not sure where the money for either of those will come from. €20k to get a house through planning to built in architect fees, plus maybe €35k for a well-fitted-out, legal square meterage, attic conversion?
              Cash is dead yet still using an even more archaic method of payment?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                Our architect was technically good, but practically useless (zero clue around costs, budgeting). Also used to forget he had meetings with us - paid him 2k for the plans and told him his services were no.longer required.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

We thought about converting the attic (which is huge) but decided that if everyone has a decent sized bedroom, I have an office then we don't need it.
                  Having done it before in the old house, the biggest problem with an attic conversion is by far the stairs and where do you put them.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Cash is dead yet still using an even more archaic method of payment?
                    Personally quite like saving 30% on the cost of renovations, but its hardly great for the broader country.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      We thought about converting the attic (which is huge) but decided that if everyone has a decent sized bedroom, I have an office then we don't need it.
                      Having done it before in the old house, the biggest problem with an attic conversion is by far the stairs and where do you put them.
                      ah yeah. We just don't have the same luxury of space. The youngest kids legs will eventually extend out of the box room, so need a third proper bedroom. Plus the house is currently 82sqm, and an attic is a vastly cheaper way of adding legal square-meterage compared to an extension, so with a mind towards selling it. Attic is very high, as those older houses didn't skimp on that type of thing, so could be an extra 25sqm of space (no idea though exactly how space is counted in an attic conversion)

Comment

The architect didn't add much value?
                        Needed planning permission for the dormer. It's a completely different room with the Dormer. As much as I hated the prick. His services were required.

Comment

I realise its an eminently googleable question, and have googled it before - just not sure if current practice has changed. We've solar on the back of the house. So the dormer would be facing out on the road. But looking into a plumbing store rather than a house on the other side of the road. Would it be standard enough to be allowed permission for that?

Comment

Nothing nicer than being 19 miles into a 20 mile long run and having GAB roar 'RUN FASTER YOU PRICK' out the window at ya
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

ah yeah. We just don't have the same luxury of space. The youngest kids legs will eventually extend out of the box room, so need a third proper bedroom. Plus the house is currently 82sqm, and an attic is a vastly cheaper way of adding legal square-meterage compared to an extension, so with a mind towards selling it. Attic is very high, as those older houses didn't skimp on that type of thing, so could be an extra 25sqm of space (no idea though exactly how space is counted in an attic conversion)
                              Very similar spot to me plus it’s already floored so additional benefit to that. Bro-in-law(4 carpenters in immediate family) thinks we’ll lose approx 12 inches from the gable wall into the box room.
                              So that will more than enough for an office for me too which I think is a thing many people are grappling with regarding space.

Alternatively, we can move the wall between the box room and main bedroom to make the latter smaller.
                              I could then move into my shared work space full time but I’m hesitant enough to do that for house & work reasons.

Comment

Anyone see a video floating about for Hojgaard's quintuple bogey on the Par 3 today by any chance?

Comment

Fucking hell..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                    Anyone see a video floating about for Hojgaard's quintuple bogey on the Par 3 today by any chance?
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Good info here on Irish Attic Boards..that's next on our list as wife will be WFH 3 days a week for good. Thought we might get away with not touching the box room if we go for a side dormer? Going for fairly standard conversion with no bathroom or any of that and was expecting about 30k. Defo need to wait a year before having the gaf (and bank account) violated again.

Comment

Burning that felliw alive n a giant Wicker man is bad enough but to torment him sexually in advace was OTT cruel.

Comment

Don't get the need for a home office, sofa, bed or deckchair do me just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                            A lot of people don't like to work in their bedroom. Small to medium children occupying the other spaces then makes an office a necessity.

Comment

Spiral staircase FTW.
                                              Irish people have a peculiar aversion to them tho.
                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I feel its really bad for the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                  Spiral staircase FTW.
                                                  Irish people have a peculiar aversion to them tho.
                                                  I always thought it was a more specifically alcoholic aversion.
                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I always thought it was a more specifically alcoholic aversion.
                                                    Surely safer to fall down a Spiral one .

Comment

Son's soccer match cancelled tomorrow because 'the referee injured himself'. Curious one and even more curious phrasing.

Comment

Son's soccer match cancelled tomorrow because 'the referee injured himself'. Curious one and even more curious phrasing.
                                                        Some kind of autoerotic asphyxiation that didn't kill him?
                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Fell down the Stairs i bet .

Comment

Another one bites the dust
                                                            RIP Pharoah

Comment

As someone who, as i gather, works in some kind of software development role; I would have thought a decent set up with at least two screens was a must?

Which i guess you could hypothetically do from your bed, but still.

Comment

Gimmeabreak not sure if you intended on playing that round of golf in Killarney but I actually can’t make it down until Saturday afternoon. Apologies about that, maybe some time in Bunclody

Comment

Re:Attic conversions.

If you plan on the attic room being a bedroom, or anything other than storage. It becomes a 3 story house and stairway should be firerated. A lot of people don’t do that which which means they can’t say it’s a bedroom when selling. Money down the drain imo

Comment

Refs seem to be very thin on the ground. Luckily we are still at the "non-competitive" age. Although someone should tell the parents that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                      Re:Attic conversions.

If you plan on the attic room being a bedroom, or anything other than storage. It becomes a 3 story house and stairway should be firerated. A lot of people don’t do that which which means they can’t say it’s a bedroom when selling. Money down the drain imo
                                                                      You also technically need Fire Doors downstairs. Technically being the operative word as good luck with any claim (fire/water/burglery). Insurance companies love the old angle shoot.

Comment

Seems to be a decent crowd going to Killarney this week. Down for 4 nights with IPBChamp, should be good craic down there, plenty of tournaments on anyway.

Comment

Comment

Refs seem to be very thin on the ground. Luckily we are still at the "non-competitive" age. Although someone should tell the parents that.
                                                                            I’ve reffed a bit of primary school bball over the years which is totally fine.
                                                                            Largely telling young lads not to tuck the ball under their arm and run along with no tackling.

Despite basketball being similar to rugby in that there is generally decent respect for officials, there is no way I’d do it beyond that. Not worth dealing with parents.

Why anyone refs beyond u14 especially in soccer or GAA is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Largely telling young lads not to tuck the ball under their arm and run along with no tackling.

Despite basketball being similar to rugby in that there is generally decent respect for officials, there is no way I’d do it beyond that. Not worth dealing with parents.

DDSL is so short on refs theres talk of age groups only playing every second week now. That said a ref could make €400 cash in hand every weekend for 6-8 hours work.

Comment

RIP Pharoah
                                                                                A legend in the true meaning of the word . I regularly think about seeing him live, had always hoped I'd get second chance, but I won't forget it
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

You also technically need Fire Doors downstairs. Technically being the operative word as good luck with any claim (fire/water/burglery) once. Insurance companies love the old angle shoot.
                                                                                  Yup. A firerated stairway means all doors into the stairway at all levels to be firerated and have door closers fitted. Wall construction may need a look too.

Nobody does it. And you dead right that insurance would be all over it in the event of a claim. Could even cause issues with the bank if you can’t produce a cert of compliance

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

A legend in the true meaning of the word . I regularly think about seeing him live, had always hoped I'd get second chance, but I won't forget it
                                                                                    Was front and centre for his NCH performance, amazing to see someone who's an absolute master perform. NCH was an upgrade from seeing him in Butlins once upon a time

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Nice, what was the damage there?
                                                                                      Sorry only saw this now. It was a relatively cheap one, the Sirrus 3.0...Around the 1k mark but obv got it on bike to work. She doesn't use it for anything but 6k each way to work so it's ideal really.

I got a Cinelli Zydeco Lala last year myself, for no other reason than it looks cool: https://www.simplebikestore.eu/en/ci...l?id=203579880

It has cable brakes though, where my old bike had hydraulic so I might get them upgraded as it's a huge step down once you get used to the hydraulic.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

As someone who, as i gather, works in some kind of software development role; I would have thought a decent set up with at least two screens was a must?

Which i guess you could hypothetically do from your bed, but still.
                                                                                        Yeah, I have a two screen and docking station that I plug in and out of as I need to. I have tried a desk but I find putting them on a coffee table and sitting up straight on the edge of the sofa works best, I can also move them to a standing set up which I do occasionally.
                                                                                        TBH when no 2 daughter finally moves out and liberates the 68.32% of the house that her and No2 Prospective son in law have been squatting in for past three years, I might build neater solution for a standing desk and exclusively use that when I'm using multiple monitors.

BTW I'm convinced that for anyone who needs to use multiple monitors there is going to be a much better solution just around the corner using VR.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

It all comes down to the individual sport and the respect for officials. Kids see their favourite premier league stars screaming abuse at referees and it's no surprise they will do it too. Whereas if another sport has a zero tolerance approach for abuse, they pick up on that.
                                                                                          I can think of at least one kid who plays both soccer and hockey with my son. On the soccer pitch, he's an absolute monster whereas he just plays away on the hockey pitch. He knows what he can get away with in both.

Comment

It all comes down to the individual sport and the respect for officials. Kids see their favourite premier league stars screaming abuse at referees and it's no surprise they will do it too. Whereas if another sport has a zero tolerance approach for abuse, they pick up on that.
                                                                                            I can think of at least one kid who plays both soccer and hockey with my son. On the soccer pitch, he's an absolute monster whereas he just plays away on the hockey pitch. He knows what he can get away with in both.
                                                                                            Kids are one thing, some of the stories I hear about soccer and gaa parents are basically assault.

Comment

How far off are we from having AI refs . (Equipped with phazors of course to stun the-agressive culchie parents)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Was front and centre for his NCH performance, amazing to see someone who's an absolute master perform. NCH was an upgrade from seeing him in Butlins once upon a time
                                                                                                That's the gig I was at, amazing. Was telling anyone who would listen to me about it for a long time
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

RIP Pharoah
                                                                                                  Exhausting afternoon looking after kids and friends . Played this for a listen afterwards and feel straight asleep. Might use it going forward

Comment

Laois football, a bit special

Comment

Per yesterday's chat, I see another GAA ref was assaulted over the weekend. Cue usual hand-wringing followed by no effective action.

Comment

The UK/Euro crisis is in full swing. This is *way* worse than corona.

I see the US is flying ahead economically, even if their stock market is taking a tumble.

The reason - as well-flagged - is that we implemented sanctions with our hearts and the US implemented sanctions with their heads.

Anyway, no going back now, and it's better to live in a collection of countries that act with their hearts. But this isn't going to be pleasant. A few years of not very pleasant things by any reasonable estimate.

Comment

The UK/Euro crisis is in full swing. This is *way* worse than corona.

I see the US is flying ahead economically, even if their stock market is taking a tumble.

The reason - as well-flagged - is that we implemented sanctions with our hearts and the US implemented sanctions with their heads.

Anyway, no going back now, and it's better to live in a collection of countries that act with their hearts. But this isn't going to be pleasant. A few years of not very pleasant things by any reasonable estimate.
                                                                                                          Better win the war quick...

Seems like your BIL got out just in time too. Two weeks training and a rusty AK later, and he'd be on the front lines.

Comment

So a lot of the RuSSian males fleeing the motherland seem to be going via Georgia. And they seem to be a bit irate, as Georgia is taking the opportunity to charge them a lot of money for the privilege.
                                                                                                            One hint as to why Georgia might be justified in charging the RuSSians lots of money to enter their country and evade Mad Vlad's draft is in the below picture of the border crossing at two recent points in time.

Comment

Better win the war quick...

Seems like your BIL got out just in time too. Two weeks training and a rusty AK later, and he'd be on the front lines.
                                                                                                              There's not many wars that are won quick.

The US, in their sanctions, realised that, and implemented sanctions that suited them. Its a pity the EU didn't have the same foresight. Probably one of the factors in the recent election of far-right governments in Sweden and Italy. Not the only factor, but the far-right do thrive on that type of thing.

Yeah, BIL loving it here. Can't imagine he'll ever go back really. Two-year visa after graduation to find a job paying more than €35,000 to be citizenship eligible, and its almost impossible for a graduate to find a job paying less than that. We're a great little country, in fairness.

Comment

There's not many wars that are won quick.
                                                                                                                Apart from most of them. Most wars don't last long at all. Mainly due to the reason that it's pretty rare for there to be a war between equally matched antagonists.

Of course this war was lost by Russia even before it started, which makes it somewhat special.

Comment

Apart from most of them. Most wars don't last long at all. Mainly due to the reason that it's pretty rare for there to be a war between equally matched antagonists.

Of course this war was lost by Russia even before it started, which makes it somewhat special.
                                                                                                                  I know you like going with your gut on these things, but that is wrong.

There are indeed a few 'wars' / aka skirmishes that last a few days, but once it drags on longer it has a much higher probability of dragging on for years. So the probability of a war lasting for a long time is a factor of how long it has already dragged on for. E.g. most wars that go over a year in length last for an average of eight years, and we're already at seven months of Ukraine.

The mismatched antagonists bit makes no sense. The Iraq war lasted seven years, for example with massively mismatched militaries.

Comment

I know you like going with your gut on these things, but that is wrong.

There are indeed a few 'wars' / aka skirmishes that last a few days, but once it drags on longer it has a much higher probability of dragging on for years. So the probability of a war lasting for a long time is a factor of how long it has already dragged on for. E.g. most wars that go over a year in length last for an average of eight years, and we're already at seven months of Ukraine.

The mismatched antagonists bit makes no sense. The Iraq war lasted seven years, for example with massively mismatched militaries.
                                                                                                                    All the more reason to (a) continue to squeeze RuSSia economically and (b), provide Ukraine with all the western armed support it needs to push RuSSia out for good?

We've seen what a paper tiger the RuSSian military is. The whole house of cards is ready to collapse - good.

Comment

We could have been a lot smarter on it. Like the US. The US implemented sanctions that largely benefitted them, the EU implemented sanctions that will probably collapse the eurozone. Being oblivious to this is not a good look. We'll have all manner of these geopolitical tests over the coming decades, and we need to learn the lessons of what we clearly did wrong here, or there will be no eurozone left.

Comment

We could have been a lot smarter on it. Like the US. The US implemented sanctions that largely benefitted them, the EU implemented sanctions that will probably collapse the eurozone. Being oblivious to this is not a good look. We'll have all manner of these geopolitical tests over the coming decades, and we need to learn the lessons of what we clearly did wrong here, or there will be no eurozone left.
                                                                                                                        The Eurozone will be fine. The EU is the finest supranational achievement in human history. You need to chill a bit you doom-monger.

Comment

The Eurozone will be fine. The EU is the finest supranational achievement in human history. You need to chill a bit you doom-monger.
                                                                                                                          Ha. I don't know. You just can't take this type of hit - to everyone, not just the PIIGS and then get through it calmly. Italy is obv our weakest link and really they are now in a situation where they can only survive if the ECB continues to buy their debt forever. Massively aging population, most of the innovation is happening elsewhere in the world, and then we go and inflict these hits on ourselves. We aren't being well-led and we need to be a lot smarter about things. We can handle the Russian hit, barely, but theres the massive upcoming economic conflicts with China and then probably India after that. We need to make decisions in those conflicts that benefit us and not be driven by the US. The US is the master at making decisions in their own interest.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X