This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Good article by Anne Applebaum on the continuing collapse of RuSSia.
    Subtle -RuSSia. I nearly miased the SS slur as i expect everyone has the big finger typos like myself.

Comment

Ha, even North Korea is at pains to distance itself from RuSSia.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Subtle -RuSSia. I nearly miased the SS slur as i expect everyone has the big finger typos like myself.
        Is it a slur if it's true?

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
          Hitchhiker's Guide To.... sent you a pm not drug related lol
          Blue Lights are more interesting than the red ones for sure!

Comment

Is it a slur if it's true?
            The truth hurts . Look at Trump . Slurs can be true or not .
            anyhoo i was kind of giving you kudos for the sneaky SS Insertion . .

Irrelevant now as we are all going to FRY.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is aware of this
              I rang kbc about the mortgage currently at 2.8% five yr fixed and expires on April 1st 2023

So I asked could it be fixed again now for five yrs on same rate without penalty

They can with no penalty at 2.6% so was happy with that

Was a page on Instagram had it up so I made the call. Just in case anyone here would be interested
              Her sky-ness
              © 5starpool

Comment

Not sure if anyone is aware of this
                I rang kbc about the mortgage currently at 2.8% five yr fixed and expires on April 1st 2023

So I asked could it be fixed again now for five yrs on same rate without penalty

They can with no penalty at 2.6% so was happy with that

Was a page on Instagram had it up so I made the call. Just in case anyone here would be interested
                I'd have assumed at your age you would have it long paid off

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's a military grade version of GPS also - only accessible to friendly powers. Much higher precision than the public version of GPS. Glonass was falling to pieces around a decade ago and then they launched new satellites to bring it up to scratch.
                  Public GPS is accurate to 1 m.

Comment

Paging Strewelpeter Lazare and probably a few more

SPOILER

Comment

I've a ticket for Crow Black Chicken on Saturday in Whelans. Free to a good home. They always put on a cracking show.

Bought it last week, found out tonight our football game is on Saturday evening now instead of Sunday so won't make it.

Comment

In public sector parlance, have been 'deemed appointable' after today and yesterday's interviews. The critical issue of ranking now arises, and is apparently the subject of quite intense debate. There's either one or two positions for three of us deemed appointable. Tempted to assign my chances as around 50-65% percent, as the first position was gone before the interviews started, so then its whether they open the second position and who gets ranked second. Also a decent chance that even if the two positions get offered to the other two internationals, that one of them turns it down when they type their salary into a tax calculator and look up daft.ie, so then it automatically passes to me. Hoping to get there on merit though rather than handmedowns.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Reboot is a pleasant show. Maybe more for family watching than quality alone time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                            Paging Strewelpeter Lazare and probably a few more

SPOILER
                            Ah brilliant, cheers for the heads up Brian.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

myself and Mia had a lovely video call with Hitch tonight ( thought when phone rang it was a normal call and was horrified to see myself on camera to Hitch, who was looking brilliant unlike me in the pj's)

It was an educational call before ye start

think Mia was a bit in awe of himself ( if only she knew the shenanigans

Legend and thanks again
                              78228B36-C722-4A82-9ADA-C5E5AFF9453E.jpeg
                              Hopefully she'll be sitting in on one of your classes in the near future!

Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

Hitch very helpful and approachable with college stuff tbf. Had an issue in 1st year when I got an email at 6pm on a Friday accusing me of cheating an assignment and it would be dealt with Monday. Turned out the lecturer was a gowl and got it all wrong. But hitch set up a zoom call on a Friday night to talk me through the process that would happen and put my mind at ease. Been an invaluable asset to have on my side while in college. Definitely a perk about this place existing.

Comment

myself and Mia had a lovely video call with Hitch tonight ( thought when phone rang it was a normal call and was horrified to see myself on camera to Hitch, who was looking brilliant unlike me in the pj's)

Legend and thanks again
                                  hmm. Can see why it wasn't a straightforward decision to rank me first after the interviews, if I looked like that on the zoom calls.

Comment

Fair play Hitch. Basically a good egg .

Comment

This house buying lark was going too smoothly, vendors looking to delay. Water in their new place not connected. My brother had this last year when moving into a new build, took months to sort

Comment

Good luck with the ranking Hitch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                          This house buying lark was going too smoothly, vendors looking to delay. Water in their new place not connected. My brother had this last year when moving into a new build, took months to sort
                                          Reverse BBV'd myself. Agent rang to say they've got something sorted and we're back on course

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                            UL, and hope it gets sorted quick.

Is it just me or does it feel like buying a house is stuck in the 19th century in terms of how difficult and stressful it is?
                                            It's a transaction like any other, a buyer and a seller - they agree a price and that should be it. The deeds should be fully digitised as should the mortgages if any. You should agree a price and a schedule for when the keys are handed over -- and there should be a clear line drawn under delays to the process and compensation due to either party.
                                            It's absolutely insane how hard it is.

Comment

damn, I'm good.

Comment

'Referendums' starting in illegally occupied Ukraine today. I wonder what the vote has already been rigged at?

99.9% seems a bit too Stalinist. Anyone want to set the line on the overwhelming desire of these Ukrainians to be permanently joined with their RuSSian brethren? I'll say 85%.

Courier Collie would have enjoyed these sort of election results back in the day (1937)
                                                All-Union Communist Party (Bolsheviks) 89,844,271 99.30 461
                                                Independents 108
                                                Against 632,074 0.70
                                                Total 90,476,345 100.00 569
                                                90,476,345 99.30
                                                636,808 0.70
                                                91,113,153 100.00
                                                94,138,159 96.79
                                                Source: Nohlen & Stöver

Comment

hmm. Can see why it wasn't a straightforward decision to rank me first after the interviews, if I looked like that on the zoom calls.
                                                  in fairness, there should be a website dedicated to 'people who set up Zoom with insane camera angles'. I've seen some strange sights in the last 2.5 years.

Comment

Is it just me or does it feel like buying a house is stuck in the 19th century in terms of how difficult and stressful it is?
                                                    It's a transaction like any other, a buyer and a seller - they agree a price and that should be it. The deeds should be fully digitised as should the mortgages if any. You should agree a price and a schedule for when the keys are handed over -- and there should be a clear line drawn under delays to the process and compensation due to either party.
                                                    In general it seems like a massive pain but we've been pretty lucky with this process (as can be seen above).

We went sale agreed a month ago and are back on course to close at the end of Oct which is pretty quick by most standards. We essentially had to reapply for mortgage approval as we got our approval in principle back in April so had to resubmit everything. Weirdly they asked for a new salary cert from my wife but not from me. Expecting to get the formal loan offer next week. Getting the survey, valuations, insurance etc. sorted was pretty quick. The biggest delay so far has been the bank.

You can work in a schedule to get keys handed over but that doesn't happen until the contract is sorted and that's all been waiting until we get the final approval from the bank.

Mentioned my brother - they took the guts of a year to get sorted from the point they sold their old house to getting into their new place between the water not being connected and a few other issues.

Comment

Too many fingers in the Pie

Comment

in fairness, there should be a website dedicated to 'people who set up Zoom with insane camera angles'. I've seen some strange sights in the last 2.5 years.
                                                        My work laptop has the camera mounted below the screen rather that above the screen. It’s a Dell, silver.
                                                        Basically means I get this weird underneath camera angle. And if I’m emailing or whatever while in a call , the camera picks up my fingers, giant and optically distorted, typing away at the bottom of my screen.

Absolutely baffles me how that got through a design, and testing process that included supposed intelligent “techy” people.

The angle is looking up
                                                        straight up my nose

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                          I've a ticket for Crow Black Chicken on Saturday in Whelans. Free to a good home. They always put on a cracking show.

Bought it last week, found out tonight our football game is on Saturday evening now instead of Sunday so won't make it.
                                                          Is that Icky's mates?
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

My work laptop has the camera mounted below the screen rather that above the screen. It’s a Dell, silver.
                                                            Basically means I get this weird underneath camera angle. And if I’m emailing or whatever while in a call , the camera picks up my fingers, giant and optically distorted, typing away at the bottom of my screen.

Absolutely baffles me how that got through a design, and testing process that included supposed intelligent “techy” people.

The angle is looking up
                                                            straight up my nose
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Legend and thanks again
                                                              Risky business that

Comment

Reminds me: I've been on a fairly regular Zoom call through lockdown where one of the participants has her camera mainly pointing at her boobs (which are pleasant to look at). Nobody has though to correct her in 2 years

Comment

The legal fraternity is above all that modernity nonsense.

Comment

Isn't there something like sealed agreed bids in Scotland and once accepted the seller is on a deadline to get out?
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I know the solicitor who looked after my recent switch and he's said plainly that the whole thing is archaic. Paperwork and hoops. There's scope for a lot more digitization and some process streamlining but ultimately the paper isn't going away any time soon. Pain in the hole for everyone concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I know the solicitor who looked after my recent switch and he's said plainly that the whole thing is archaic. Paperwork and hoops. There's scope for a lot more digitization and some process streamlining but ultimately the paper isn't going away any time soon. Pain in the hole for everyone concerned.
                                                                        Happen to have a set of deeds in front of me. Redic amount of paperwork about Sister Fionnula selling her field to Jonny Farmer who sold it to whoever and whover before the housing estate was even built.

Comment

Stressful week with Panda pulling out.
                                                                          Was having chest pains on mon am the anxiety (at least I hope it was the anxiety)

A years worth of Oanda customers to deal with in a week.
                                                                          Had an offer with Flogas (they pulled that this am)
                                                                          So many little things going wrong too all at the same time.
                                                                          Phone packed it in so had to buy new phone and a new scanner also and configure the fucking things.
                                                                          Not a single second to spare.

Anyway only managed to keep about 25/30% of my customers and that's if the sales actually get processed by Flogas which there are not guaranteeing.

Utter clusterfuck

Monday was a bit headless chickeny but was laser like focus after that. (Weird thing that day was interactions with technology were failing left right and centre starting with the phone, then a petrol pump prepay wouldn't dispense and a cash register wouldn't work .....I must have been emitting weird electrical signals or something!)

Anxiety is an awful thing though Jesus. Had to just keep reminding myself "just deal with this bit for now" to keep the overwhelming enormity of it at bay

All in all would say it was a good result under the circumstances. Dont know yet if I'll get the lost ones back.

Too many just leaving it to the last minute.

Comment

Ha, even North Korea is at pains to distance itself from RuSSia.
                                                                            And, more significantly, China:

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                              Stressful week with Panda pulling out.
                                                                              Was having chest pains on mon am the anxiety (at least I hope it was the anxiety)

A years worth of Oanda customers to deal with in a week.
                                                                              Had an offer with Flogas (they pulled that this am)
                                                                              So many little things going wrong too all at the same time.
                                                                              Phone packed it in so had to buy new phone and a new scanner also and configure the fucking things.
                                                                              Not a single second to spare.

Anyway only managed to keep about 25/30% of my customers and that's if the sales actually get processed by Flogas which there are not guaranteeing.

Utter clusterfuck

Monday was a bit headless chickeny but was laser like focus after that. (Weird thing that day was interactions with technology were failing left right and centre starting with the phone, then a petrol pump prepay wouldn't dispense and a cash register wouldn't work .....I must have been emitting weird electrical signals or something!)

Anxiety is an awful thing though Jesus. Had to just keep reminding myself "just deal with this bit for now" to keep the overwhelming enormity of it at bay

All in all would say it was a good result under the circumstances. Dont know yet if I'll get the lost ones back.

Too many just leaving it to the last minute.

Ride the waves Dinks . Dont forget to breathe .

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Is that Icky's mates?
                                                                                Yep. Definitely a gig worth catching if anyone is free on Saturday and wants a freebie

Comment

And, more significantly, China:

India too.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

India too.
                                                                                    Which makes sense, even when you look at something as basic as 'number of Indians working in the US, UK, Ireland etc' - they are locked into the global economy just as much as China

I think Mehole had it right when he called them a rogue state.

Comment

This Russian mobilisation seems like a complete farce, they are just throwing callup papers around like confetti without any actual plan.

This was a phenomenon under the commies too, the big thing was to meet your target under the plan. No matter how crazy or foolish the plan was. A classic example was the case of a shoe factory out in Siberia somewhere that was given the target of producing 12 million pairs of shoes in a year. They duly achieved the target and the director of the factory was given a medal and promoted to some suitably illustrious position.
                                                                                      The slight issue with this glorious success only became apparent when people tried buying the shoes. Only to discover they were all the same size.
                                                                                      And
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      were all left-footed
                                                                                      .

Mobilisation is going down the same path. The Fuhrer says to get 300,000 men so that's what they'll do.

Comment

ah, yes. Not quite Band of Brothers material.

Comment

This Russian mobilisation seems like a complete farce, they are just throwing callup papers around like confetti without any actual plan.

This was a phenomenon under the commies too, the big thing was to meet your target under the plan. No matter how crazy or foolish the plan was. A classic example was the case of a shoe factory out in Siberia somewhere that was given the target of producing 12 million pairs of shoes in a year. They duly achieved the target and the director of the factory was given a medal and promoted to some suitably illustrious position.
                                                                                          The slight issue with this glorious success only became apparent when people tried buying the shoes. Only to discover they were all the same size.
                                                                                          And
                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                          were all left-footed
                                                                                          .

Mobilisation is going down the same path. The Fuhrer says to get 300,000 men so that's what they'll do.
                                                                                          might end up with officers tents having grenades thrown into them at night at this rate

Comment

Not there yet. There's an international person who got the first offer, but my hope is they will only now look up the tax situation in the Irish public sector and that it will cost them €3k a month to rent, and politely and rapidly decline the offer. At which point muggins here gets his discards. If that happens I will propose, on my first day, renaming the institutions slogan to '... for winners (and people who weren't quite winners, but who lived in the neighbourhood)'

Comment

Just stay where you are and be unhappy with your lot like any good public servant.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

might end up with officers tents having grenades thrown into them at night at this rate
                                                                                                Thank god they don’t have any officers or that could be dangerous. The Ukrainians seem to have already killed or maimed most of their active officer class already.

Conscripting all of the people arrested at anti war protests so that they make up a presumable vocal part of the 300k down trodden minorities also seems questionable for moral to say the least.

Will be interesting to see how many of them reach the front and keep walking as full units to surrender.

Comment

That UK budget seems like absolute madness. They'll be adding about £500bn in debt over the next four years as a result. And interest rates are likely to rise to 5% because of the inflationary impact. So an extra, and probably permanent, £25bn in annual interest. For four years of presumably mediocre benefits.

For context, they currently spend about £100bn in interest for the sum total of borrowing over the lifetime of UK Inc. So a 25% rise in four years.

It's even worse than that. The current £100bn interest payments is based on 4% interest rates. If they rise to 5%, they'll be paying about £150bn in interest a year - 15% of all the country's income. (Ireland spends about 6%, by contrast).

The only way this isn't the worst decision of all time, is if they somehow manage to create surprise growth from it, but its really hard to see how. Expect refugees from Englandistan.

Comment

They are really going for the cold wet Singapore option aren't they.
                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Question for home improvers (probably RDIII as he seems to live in a constant state of home improvement): Everything is done now, place is nice. However there are parts of 2 old walls that are a bit shit looking. Kind of patched up but not super smooth like a freshly plastered new wall would be. Should I expect the odd imperfection on a 60 year old wall or is part of their job to make good such things?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                        Question for home improvers (probably RDIII as he seems to live in a constant state of home improvement): Everything is done now, place is nice. However there are parts of 2 old walls that are a bit shit looking. Kind of patched up but not super smooth like a freshly plastered new wall would be. Should I expect the odd imperfection on a 60 year old wall or is part of their job to make good such things?
                                                                                                        Get them back to make the old walls new walls to complete the job
                                                                                                        hold a few Bob on them and include them in ur snag list
                                                                                                        soon be sorted

Comment

Thanks, I'll say it to the main man as he seems to want to please despite rarely being on site himself. I got the impression when the plasterer was here that he wanted to get it done ASAP and get out. The electricians were calamitous. Everything they did was wrong. Bora hob seems great but not sure it justifies the crazy price. Got Deceuninck windows and doors, Quick Step floor, and wife got a Specialized bike to complete the cycling theme.

Comment

Same here. I will never forget the team call with a girl from work who answered just after taking a shower and forgot to turn off the camera. That was one awkward month afterwards in work whenever we bump into each other
                                                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

After over 4 months of waiting, ive finally got a surgery date, the 3rd October, which, if I'm honest, is around 1 month earlier than anticipated. Almost there!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                Thanks, I'll say it to the main man as he seems to want to please despite rarely being on site himself. I got the impression when the plasterer was here that he wanted to get it done ASAP and get out. The electricians were calamitous. Everything they did was wrong. Bora hob seems great but not sure it justifies the crazy price. Got Deceuninck windows and doors, Quick Step floor, and wife got a Specialized bike to complete the cycling theme.
                                                                                                                Nice, what was the damage there?

Comment

Friday and time for some rip roaring Molly Tuttle claw hammer picking. One for the bluegrassy boys

Comment

How would those poor down trodden solicitors justify their fees if the transaction was completed quickly and efficiently?

Mrs Lao Lao doesn't work in the area of conveyancing but I regularly tell her she is a shyster by professional association or a corporate shyster...

Comment

We've gone mad on the home improvements recently. Brought back our Romanian friend to sort out the inside of the house - get all the doors painted, loads of rooms needed finishing. Man, he's a superstar. House finally looks finished. If anyone is in the market for someone to turn up and just be sound and know what he is doing, this guy is the guy.

Everything cash, but he knows everyone.

Then we tackled the thorny issue of the front door. Its taken me a year to get used to the idea that a front door might cost more than five grand, but there seems no getting away from it. This evening then was sending off the check for the external insulation deposit. Going to be snug as a bug in a rug in due course.

I guess end up with a high B rating maybe, when added together with the solar, windows, deep-insulated hot water tank, underfloor insulation. Probably best not to add up the overall cost of all that.

Just the attic conversion left and it will finally be done. Then start on the permissions for the new gaff next door. Not sure where the money for either of those will come from. €20k to get a house through planning to built in architect fees, plus maybe €35k for a well-fitted-out, legal square meterage, attic conversion?

Comment

Absolute perfect timing event there a few mins ago. Due to stupid kids sports my weekends are more or less limited to a few pints of a Friday.

So after a few earlier and sweating a nice €20 on 3 draws in the golf fourballs for €5k i left the pub being the dilligent kids GAA fan that I am for the morning and grabbed a bag of chips. Finished off the chips at home and nipped outside for a fag knowing the golf should be just finished.

On looking (and it was close leaving pub) i see that 2 were in but one let me down so i emerge from behind our cars in the driveway with an almighty Fuck. Only problem was just as i let rip a young one of 18 ish was walking past with her dog.

Well the screams and pandamonium with lights and neighbours.

Prob on some watchlist now.

Comment

We've gone mad on the home improvements recently. Brought back our Romanian friend to sort out the inside of the house - get all the doors painted, loads of rooms needed finishing. Man, he's a superstar. House finally looks finished. If anyone is in the market for someone to turn up and just be sound and know what he is doing, this guy is the guy.
                                                                                                                          For random bits and pieces around the home. A good bloke for cash is the right way to go. Going through a maintenance/Home repairs type company just comes with huge overheads on small jobs. Understandable to a degree (my own private rate is much lower). But feel like they in particular take the piss.

Had a leak in the bathroom for a while, building management sent a plumber to check, said both seals inside the wall were gone. His company quotes $600-800 to repair.
                                                                                                                          Picked up both seals for <$10. Pulled the toilet off the wall and had a go. 4 weeks later no leak.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X