This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Actually did that today - reestimated the rebuild costs, and they were indeed quite a bit over what the insurance rebuild cost is for. Insurance is up for renewal at the moment, so rang them and only cost a tenner extra a year to go from being 85% insured to 100% insured.

Simple table here to calculate it: https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house...ld-calculator/ just need your house square metre size and type of house it is and multiple it out.
    Mine is 12k to 15k over the calculator, so looks like valuer did a good job.

Comment

Kinda come full circle on the queen thing. The whole queue thing is stupid. And we wouldn't do it because its stupid. But it is also glorious stupid. Almost an endearing feature of a nation. Better stop now as I'm at risk of complimenting those bastards.
      IPB Royal Correspondent reporting! Live from the imperial capital.

I walked up towards Tate Modern on the south bank this morning and THE QUEUE was still going strong. Anyone in it had been shuffling along since midnight at least. Despite this, they all seemed remarkably good humoured. The waiter at breakfast did say he'd been talking to the cops and there had been quite a few medical issues in the crowd overnight. I'd estimate THE QUEUE is ~95% white, and looks to be pretty middle class. Quite a few military medals, regimental ties etc on display. Ironically 95% of the stewards are non-white, which probably says something too. No real emotional hum coming off THE QUEUE, just a dignified solemnity.

So yeah, we're Irish and it's basically our mission in life to mock the Brits but this is weirdly impressive to see in the flesh. She obviously symbolised something important to them and they are commemorating her in style.

Will report further.

View looking towards Blackfriars at about 9am.
      20220917_091633.jpg
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

You’ve been watching too much sky news
        its pathetic
        Can’t think of a single Irish persons death that would cause the level of dribble we are seeing in the uk for even 1 day and that is a great thing. What a bunch of embarrassing cabbages
        The monarchy means alot to alot of people over there. It does here also. I don't particularly get it myself but if people want to queue to see a 96 year old woman who was queen for 70 years, so what?

It's certainly a historic moment. What we are seeing happen has never happened in most of our lives. Not often we can say that. 95% of people have never seen a different monarch to her, have never seen the pomp etc of a monarchical funeral. I've watched quite a bit of it over the last few days. A lot of it is dribble as you say, such as the constant watch of the hearse driving to Edinburgh but hey ho.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Mine is 12k to 15k over the calculator, so looks like valuer did a good job.
          Same for the one we're trying to buy. Good valuer or valuer who has that table and just added 15k to make it look like they weren't using that table?

Comment

New 'Grand Tour' trip just landed on Prime Video. Meant to be amazing. Those lads on their global trips are epic TV.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

The monarchy means alot to alot of people over there. It does here also. I don't particularly get it myself but if people want to queue to see a 96 year old woman who was queen for 70 years, so what?

It's certainly a historic moment. What we are seeing happen has never happened in most of our lives. Not often we can say that. 95% of people have never seen a different monarch to her, have never seen the pomp etc of a monarchical funeral. I've watched quite a bit of it over the last few days. A lot of it is dribble as you say, such as the constant watch of the hearse driving to Edinburgh but hey ho.
              Got me looking at stats, it’s 86.4 %

Comment

I think most are filing by the coffin to make sure the words of the song are right
                lizzy in the box,lizzy in the box

i might be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

I think most are filing by the coffin to make sure the words of the song are right
                  lizzy in the box,lizzy in the box

i might be wrong
                  They only see the box though

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

They can play
                    What’s in the box while they are there

Comment

You'd be a fool to think we are any less idiotic than our neighbors.
                      We Lose our shit over nonsense like a scruffy football pitch, or a coked up twerp in a Christmas jumper playing with kids
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Lead lined too. So even superman with his x-ray vision can't see anything.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

A link to the past when Britain was an economic super power, helped unite Europe to stop fascism and was respected around the globe.

The same type of patriotism/sense of self that the Brexit mob managed to twist so completely.

Comment

New 'Grand Tour' trip just landed on Prime Video. Meant to be amazing. Those lads on their global trips are epic TV.
                            It's tired and repetitive.
                            Not their best, and I'd be a fan generally.

​​​​​​Staged and scripted beyond belief.
                            SPOILER
                            Ok obviously except for the accident
                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Flat earthers are slightly below monarchists in my order of imbeciles.
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

​​​​​​

Comment

In 1979 we had a traffic jam that ran solid from Portlaoise to the Phoenix Park to see the Pope.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    In 1979 we had a traffic jam that ran solid from Portlaoise to the Phoenix Park to see the Pope.
                                    He was still alive at the time…

That was a cracking SA v Arg match there, how the Argies let that go at the end? Must be so frustrating to be their coach

Comment

You'd be a fool to think we are any less idiotic than our neighbors.
                                      We Lose our shit over nonsense like a scruffy football pitch, or a coked up twerp in a Christmas jumper playing with kids
                                      gtfo
                                      You are definitely a John Bullshite artist .

Those cunts demanding respect from nations they disrespected in every way possible.wtf. what a dunderhead comparison . The shite going on over there is puke inducing .

Comment

Can report they're still at it as we tottered back down the south bank from the National Theatre. THE QUEUE has developed a life and a logic all of its own. It might actually be more talked about than ER herself.

Cops everywhere btw. Must be double triple overtime for the Old Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

It's tired and repetitive.
                                          Not their best, and I'd be a fan generally.

​​​​​​Staged and scripted beyond belief.
                                          SPOILER
                                          Ok obviously except for the accident
                                          Unfortunately you are right. Pity really.

Comment

Must have had ten people ask us today 'what do you think of all this?'. They're fully aware it's mad.

One taxi driver did say he thinks Charles 'is a wanker but I can say that to you because you're Irish'.

Comment

Getting too much help for an interview I have on Wednesday / Thursday. Its like everyone I've made a decent connection with over the years has come together to help me get the new job, in terms of advice, prep. Its a literal team of people. Two poor fuckers are even going to listen to my proposed presentation on Monday and waste maybe two hours of their lives. Ugh. Am a bit nervous about letting people down. Wednesday is a presentation of a research study (Thursday is the interview itself) and I simply haven't been able to finish it, I'm stuck on a particularly difficult testing part and can't seem to find a suitable solution knowing there's a few people on the interview panel who are going to be looking for ways to say I fucked up.

Comment

Getting too much help for an interview I have on Wednesday / Thursday. Its like everyone I've made a decent connection with over the years has come together to help me get the new job, in terms of advice, prep. Its a literal team of people. Two poor fuckers are even going to listen to my proposed presentation on Monday and waste maybe two hours of their lives. Ugh. Am a bit nervous about letting people down. Wednesday is a presentation of a research study (Thursday is the interview itself) and I simply haven't been able to finish it, I'm stuck on a particularly difficult testing part and can't seem to find a suitable solution knowing there's a few people on the interview panel who are going to be looking for ways to say I fucked up.
                                                It'll be grand

Crack open a bottle of wine the evening before .maybe pop down to the pub for a couple of swift pints

What could possibly go wrong!

Comment

THE QUEUE looks a lot worse this morning, plenty of people looking really fatigued and grey. Quite a few young kids in the line too which doesn't seem like responsible parenting. Loads of Salvation Army types handing out hot drinks water and there must have been a big blanket handout too.

Situation normal.

Comment

We ordered Chinese from a local takeaway (we won't name them) went to pick it up and as I was driving home, heard the bags rustling and moving!!

I thought what on earth is that? Has something got in the bag?

I thought I could see a little pair of eyes peering out.

I was driving so pulled over, I leaned forward, picked up the bag, put it on the passenger seat and there it was again, more rustling and little eyes looking out behind the beef curry!

I thought its got to be a rat or a mouse or something, so I carefully pulled the bag down ...

And there it was ...

... !!
                                                    SPOILER
                                                    A Peeking Duck

Comment

It was quite cringe inducing watching middle aged people in Stetsons fighting in the City Centre last night. Apparently a disagreement as to which side of the Liffey was Smithfields . Lolculchies . The fresh air was punched quite a bit

Comment

It was quite cringe inducing watching middle aged people in Stetsons fighting in the City Centre last night. Apparently a disagreement as to which side of the Liffey was Smithfields . Lolculchies . The fresh air was punched quite a bit
                                                        Probably more entertaining than Canelo vs GGG to be fair.

Comment

Raoul have you made it to the top of the queue yet ? Remember no selfies

Comment

Anyone still working at any of the Irish bookies? I'm looking for sponsorship for an e-sports event. PM me if so.
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Raoul have you made it to the top of the queue yet ? Remember no selfies
                                                              I tried the priority boarding queue but it didn't work out.

Back in our republic thankfully but that was certainly a historical sight to behold. I imagine they all heave a big sigh tonight and back to normal service tomorrow.

Comment

Horror show. Not for the squeamish.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                  I’m not getting the same warm and fuzzies the Irish media is telling me to feel re Charles embarrassing Jeffrey donaldson

much as I love to see unionists humiliated it takes some fucking neck from Charlie to humiliate just about democratically elected representatives.
                                                                  can’t wait for the tide to urn, won’t take long, I reckon a few days max before the Queen is in the ground before the press start turning on him
                                                                  I do get the feeling this is the last grand show tolerated by the public and media.
                                                                  Especially as Charlie probably hasn't got 20+ years left in him for him to seep into the public consciousness.
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I do get the feeling this is the last grand show tolerated by the public and media.
                                                                    Especially as Charlie probably hasn't got 20+ years left in him for him to seep into the public consciousness.
                                                                    Coronation next spring/summer will probably be another big deal. And it can obviously be a more upbeat affair with colour, music, celebration, parties etc. Though just a long weekend rather than a 10 day affair.

Comment

He looks a lot more kingly now than he did as a younger man with big ears and fairly crippling social anxiety.

Comment

After two weeks of mourning we have a clear winner

Comment

they must be dying for a cup of tay all the same, fair play to the young lads who were doing the coffin carrying duties as they all looked scared shitless but managed to get the job done.

Comment

Italian tv giving it full coverage as well, I guess there's no cycling on today

Comment

He’s waited so long for the gig. He’ll sleep for a month after all this I bet. A distant relative died over the weekend in blightly. A man given 2 months to live 12 years ago. If anyone should have been made king it was this fellow. He was a cross between Victor Meldrew and Victor Meldrew. In fact he was his doppelganger. Similarly he was an amusing chap also . He frequented a lot of guest houses in the UK as he liked his weekends away. Some of his trip reports were akin to the best episodes of One Foot..
                                                                              I think King Charlie will fk the whole shebang up. He was kept away from it for so long and now he’s an eccentric pensioner with shiny new things. His unfettered crankiness will shine through for sure and every broadsheet will resemble the News of the World in it’s tatty pomp. Long Live the King. The Class divide in the UK will come to a head in the next few years. The King will be needed to quieten the nation. Ermm, I can’t use this, take it away , take it away. Also something dodgy about William. (I’ve heard that before)

Comment

Italian tv giving it full coverage as well, I guess there's no cycling on today
                                                                                I find it kinda hilarious that its on Sky Sports
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

A man who has a flunky squeeze his toothpaste on to his toothbrush is not the King for the times coming in the UK
                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Actually did that today - reestimated the rebuild costs, and they were indeed quite a bit over what the insurance rebuild cost is for. Insurance is up for renewal at the moment, so rang them and only cost a tenner extra a year to go from being 85% insured to 100% insured.

Simple table here to calculate it: https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house...ld-calculator/ just need your house square metre size and type of house it is and multiple it out.
                                                                                    slightly late reply as I haven’t been on.
                                                                                    But calculators are famously useless. They are a product of the insurance industry notorious for undervaluing rebuild costs.
                                                                                    It’s basically a sq.m rate right? Take a look at the rate for Dublin and ask if you could build a new house for that price? And bear in mind that full rebuild costs are usually higher than new build costs on a green site.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                      they must be dying for a cup of tay all the same, fair play to the young lads who were doing the coffin carrying duties as they all looked scared shitless but managed to get the job done.
                                                                                      Remember carrying my Grannies coffin from the bottom of the hill in Ringsend to the church on a really wet day (tradition for anyone who lived there) and my foot slipping. Don’t know how the coffin wasn’t dropped.
                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

slightly late reply as I haven’t been on.
                                                                                        But calculators are famously useless. They are a product of the insurance industry notorious for undervaluing rebuild costs.
                                                                                        It’s basically a sq.m rate right? Take a look at the rate for Dublin and ask if you could build a new house for that price? And bear in mind that full rebuild costs are usually higher than new build costs on a green site.
                                                                                        Yeah - just sqm rate to be multiplied by the size of your house. I was just using it as the insurance industry uses it. Would it maybe be worth just adding an extra €50k on top. It said €230k for our place, so i wouldn't mind erring on the side of caution.

Comment

These UK stats are just mad.

Comment

korrupt kip of a country

I read a critique of that article yesterday after it went viral. It was mainly coming at it from the US perspective that the narrative of US is a poor society is pretty inaccurate.

Middle class is doing quite well but not shown and what is a little funny from the view if you look closely is that the US figures are actually only up to 2019 while lots of the other figures are 2020.

FT data is proprietary too and some other data has US doing better too.I thought an interesting one was that when accounting for adjusted disposable income which basically accounts for US healthcare expenditure, the US apparently comes out further ahead than EU.

Loads of soft measures like house space, car ownership, meat consumption among others indicating that lots more Americans than the article suggests doing well.

Major issues of poverty for many but I think the idea of “Poor society with a few rich people” seems like a misrepresentation.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1725090&d=1663616486&type=thumb
                                                                                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                                              Last edited by Solksjaer!; 19-09-22, 19:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I read a critique of that article yesterday after it went viral. It was mainly coming at it from the US perspective that the narrative of US is a poor society is pretty inaccurate.

Middle class is doing quite well but not shown and what is a little funny from the view if you look closely is that the US figures are actually only up to 2019 while lots of the other figures are 2020.

FT data is proprietary too and some other data has US doing better too.I thought an interesting one was that when accounting for adjusted disposable income which basically accounts for US healthcare expenditure, the US apparently comes out further ahead than EU.

Loads of soft measures like house space, car ownership, meat consumption among others indicating that lots more Americans than the article suggests doing well.

Major issues of poverty for many but I think the idea of “Poor society with a few rich people” seems like a misrepresentation.
                                                                                                That may be the case, and you've read it more than me, but Murdoch seems a fairly spot-on analyst. And without wanting to pick a small bit of what you said, I'm not sure those three measures are great. House space is a function of available space, but probably because people tend to live quite separated from each other. And people tend to get more life satisfaction from living together. Car ownership is probably a function of need to own a car for long commutes. I'd imagine there are very few people in Europe that can't afford to own a car, but rather they don't have to own a car, because they have more convenient forms of transport. And meat-eating also - that's a strange one. Once again, I think a lot of Europeans choose not to eat meat out of a position of privilege, rather than poverty.

Comment

Plus Europe probably eats far more fish than the US, which is probably a better protein than meat.

Comment

That may be the case, and you've read it more than me, but Murdoch seems a fairly spot-on analyst. And without wanting to pick a small bit of what you said, I'm not sure those three measures are great. House space is a function of available space, but probably because people tend to live quite separated from each other. And people tend to get more life satisfaction from living together. Car ownership is probably a function of need to own a car for long commutes. I'd imagine there are very few people in Europe that can't afford to own a car, but rather they don't have to own a car, because they have more convenient forms of transport. And meat-eating also - that's a strange one. Once again, I think a lot of Europeans choose not to eat meat out of a position of privilege, rather than poverty.

I agree with you, they’re not things I’d lean on at all. I feel they’re the type of measures that indicate progress in by-gone years for many developed countries.
                                                                                                    Arguably more expensive to eat well as a vegan now than anything else.

I think it was more the headline that drew some ire rather than a critique of what he highlights is going at the extremes. Most people didn’t appear to argue with that.
                                                                                                    Like you said, he seems very good so I have no doubt, he was very aware that he’d get some criticism of the headline. Seems like a good use of somewhat sensationalist headline to disseminate info on a pretty flawed system.

Comment

Isn't US life expectancy falling? Surely that should be a stat that is top of the pile.

Comment

Feral Ballyfermot scumbags. Some clips of the dopes . Looked ike the whole neighbourhood was acting up

Comment

Feral Ballyfermot scumbags. Some clips of the dopes . Looked ike the whole neighbourhood was acting up

Comment

That's about 5 minutes from me mams house.
                                                                                                            I'd like to say it's a new thing....

Comment

That's about 5 minutes from me mams house.
                                                                                                              I'd like to say it's a new thing....
                                                                                                              What was going on?

Comment

What was going on?
                                                                                                                Celebrating passing their driving test by the looks of it

Comment

Isn't US life expectancy falling? Surely that should be a stat that is top of the pile.
                                                                                                                  Am...... global pandemic ..... aahhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Am...... global pandemic ..... aahhh.
                                                                                                                    somewhat:
                                                                                                                    This year’s life expectancy figure is 0.9 years lower than last year’s. Covid-19 accounted for about half of the decline, and a category encompassing accidents and unintentional injuries is responsible for another 16%. That category includes overdoses; in fact, about half of the unintentional injury deaths in this analysis were due to overdoses.

Comment

somewhat:
                                                                                                                      Getting out of the Safari truck in Ballyfermot for daring up close picture probably accounted for some deaths also

Comment

"Ballyfermot has one patrol car it shares with Clondalkin"
                                                                                                                        WTaF

Comment

Big Putin speech incoming. No doubt some plan even more cunning than the current one.
                                                                                                                          Would imagine:
                                                                                                                          1. speeding up integration of occupied Ukraine into Russia, with rigged referenda.
                                                                                                                          2. because then Ukraine would be 'attacking Russia'
                                                                                                                          3. some steps towards mobilization to replace all the tens of thousands already killed

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X