Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not saying he was the goat as it’s always a heated debate. However definitely the classiest player ever to hold the tennis racquet . (maybe Borg runs him close in the other golden era)

In order of Preference (as opposed to who is better) My fav tennis players of all time (since you all asked )
    1. John McEnroe
    2. The Fed
    3. Agassi
    4. Borg
    5. Nadal
    6. Djok
    7. Henry Laconte (spelling?) class to watch, under achiever, funny etc.
    8. Nasty Nastasi – Proper bastard but entertaining
    9. Sampras - boring but brilliant.
    10. Jimmy Connors - Another dick but enjoyed watching him get his arse handed to him by McEnroe.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
      I’m not saying he was the goat as it’s always a heated debate. However definitely the classiest player ever to hold the tennis racquet . (maybe Borg runs him close in the other golden era)

In order of Preference (as opposed to who is better) My fav tennis players of all time (since you all asked )
      1. John McEnroe
      2. The Fed
      3. Agassi
      4. Borg
      5. Nadal
      6. Djok
      10. Jimmy Connors - Another dick but enjoyed watching him get his arse handed to him by McEnroe.
      I started watching Wimbeldon in the early 2000s so I have a soft spot for Goran Ivanisevic & Lleyton Hewitt which were just before Roger reigned supreme.
      Always liked Roddick too from that era, pretty unlucky to run into Roger at Wimbledon, he was good enough to have won more than 1 major.

Comment

1. John McEnroe
        2. The Fed
        3. Agassi
        4. Borg
        5. Nadal
        6. Djok
        i played a lot of tennis as a kid. lived tennis, slept tennis, read tennis, all i wanted to do was play tennis. Was asked to join the England set up when i was 10, but we lived abroad so my parents said no.
        my favs were always Borg and Lendl (pretty much played the same style of tennis as him also)

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Err, the other fella then.

My point still stands. Taoiseach isn't in charge of entertainment there is he?

Edit, it's not exactly Boris hiding in an industrial fridge levels of awkwardness?
          Laughter descends on Dáil Éireann as Ceann Comhairle Seán Ó Fearghaíl inadvertently introduces Sinn Féin's Mary Lou McDonald as Taoiseach.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

On a similar topic this is a really excellent read -

https://www.amazon.com/Bond-King-Mar.../dp/1250120845

Its quite incredible how unhappy a billionaire can make themself
            Just finished reading this HJ.

A few things come to mind from it, the first is that, similar to many of these revolutionary business leaders, they nearly always run the place by fear and drive. It was astounding to me how he couldn’t even take a single step back despite the culture and people changing even in his 70s. Also remarkable how quick to litigate he was. I don’t think MEE comes across without fault either, and the lawyers comments were a comical reference throughout, he’s a little too Teflon I think but maybe any right-minded person would be working that closely for Gross. The other thing that jumped out at me was the meagre returns that investors made, in contrast with the mgmt team, it really was an AUM gathering exercise, but statements like “this trade helped them trounce the market with a 1.2% gain, while the index was a 0.4%” were almost pitiful when compared to reading the success stories of say buffet. It just shows that when you manage enough money, they were over $2,000,000,000,000 at one point, it’s such a different game. The outperformance trades, especially the mortgage trades vs. Cheapest to deliver was really interesting, and I felt that had it focused more around that it might have made it pop a bit more. I actually work and meet with DI once or twice a year, I’ve a newfound respect for the shit he out up with to get there now! All in all I thought 7/10, worth reading if you’re loosely connected to them but not one for a generalist.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

i played a lot of tennis as a kid. lived tennis, slept tennis, read tennis, all i wanted to do was play tennis. Was asked to join the England set up when i was 10, but we lived abroad so my parents said no.
              my favs were always Borg and Lendl (pretty much played the same style of tennis as him also)
              Whatever sport was on the telly (two channel land) in the 80s became the sport de jour around our estate when I was a kid.

Tennis over the gate during Wimbledon. Not a free court for miles for a couple of weeks. In awe of the first kid to show up with a metal racket.

World cup and it was soccer all the way. Hastily erected wooden goals on the green. Guaranteed to fall apart once per match. Jumpers down as a backup.

Carrols Irish Open and the local pitch and putt club was thronged.

Racing over the hedges during the show jumping.

Bit of a mixum-gatherum during Olympics.

Bikes out during Tour de France.

Table top pool during the snooker.

Even GAA, American football and rugby got the odd spin. Rounders was the closest we got to cricket.

Great fun. Some memorable local matches and rivalries. Lads who were shite at mainstream sports and legends at niche sports managed to get their day in the sun.

Always amazes me when I look back how a rake of kids could organise a game, with a league or rotation, and get going in minutes. Would take adults days.
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Such a joke to call Federer the GOAT , he’s not even the greatest of his own era- maybe 3rd best
                can’t warm to anyone the Wimbledon crowd love that Much
                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Poker scene in Michael Flatleys Blackbird the definitive movie poker scene for me now.
                  Prob late now but we’ll worth seeing this with a crowd in a cinema, haven’t laughed as much at a film in years
                  still objectively a better and more deep film than any Marvel film
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                    Such a joke to call Federer the GOAT , he’s not even the greatest of his own era- maybe 3rd best
                    Oooh ees aving a go at Vinnie Jones now.

Comment

This is quite something.
                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-09-22, 19:35.
                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Whatever sport was on the telly (two channel land) in the 80s became the sport de jour around our estate when I was a kid.

Tennis over the gate during Wimbledon. Not a free court for miles for a couple of weeks. In awe of the first kid to show up with a metal racket.

World cup and it was soccer all the way. Hastily erected wooden goals on the green. Guaranteed to fall apart once per match. Jumpers down as a backup.

Even GAA, American football and rugby got the odd spin. Rounders was the closest we got to cricket.

Great fun. Some memorable local matches and rivalries. Lads who were shite at mainstream sports and legends at niche sports managed to get their day in the sun.

Always amazes me when I look back how a rake of kids could organise a game, with a league or rotation, and get going in minutes. Would take adults days.
                        The Agassi biography is one of the best books i have read

Comment

Ridiculous statement… Apart from the juiced Djokovic or the clay man Nadal, who is better?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I started watching Wimbeldon in the early 2000s so I have a soft spot for Goran Ivanisevic & Lleyton Hewitt which were just before Roger reigned supreme.
                            Always liked Roddick too from that era, pretty unlucky to run into Roger at Wimbledon, he was good enough to have won more than 1 major.
                            Agree on Rodrick, met him on Friday night at the US Open, what surprised me was how much of an intellectual of the sport he is. Very interesting hearing him talking about Ruud and breaking down the match with Khashanov, where they would target, the type of ball he hits, and struggles with, how he sets up points etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Ridiculous statement… Apart from the juiced Djokovic or the clay man Nadal, who is better?
                              The 2 guys with more grand slams then him Nadal and Djokovic - he is 3rd best over his own career

Comment

The 2 guys with more grand slams then him Nadal and Djokovic - he is 3rd best over his own career
                                Who is better Messi or Ronaldo?

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

The Agassi biography is one of the best books i have read
                                  Was amazed he HATED tennis.

Great book all right.

Comment

Out of the top three male tennis players of this past generation, Swiss great Federer has potentially suffered with the longest injury list to this point of his career.
                                    Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray have all endured plenty of injuries over the years and ahead of Wimbledon 2022, The Sporting News takes a look at the impact on the tennis stars.

Comment

1. John McEnroe
                                      2. The Fed
                                      3. Agassi
                                      4. Borg
                                      5. Nadal
                                      6. Djok
                                      For me Boris B is in the top 3 (and no1 really). Only based on Wimbledon though, and the bbc coverage in the 80's.
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

For me Boris B is in the top 3 (and no1 really). Only based on Wimbledon though, and the bbc coverage in the 80's.
                                        Plus an admirably staunch devotion to the wild side.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Ah no. McEnroe is the one who aged best as a person.

Comment

Have the Agassi book on the side of the bed ready to read, it apparently is quite something.

Comment

Ditched evening TV, started going to bed at 10pm, reading, sleep at 11pm. Feel like a million dollars. Could it be that being a dweeb was the missing part of life satisfaction?

Comment

On that reading note. The new Stephen King book is a rather engaging read. Not sure exactly where it is going, but, man, his writing style is so engaging.

60177373.jpg

Comment

17yo in tight white shorts for Collie I'd say

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

they were very snug, now you mention it. Although Linford Christie still takes that particular biscuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Think it was more that he didn't look like a tennis player.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Think it was more that he didn't look like a tennis player.
                                                        And yet you wanked him as no.1 . I mean ranked him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                          Have the Agassi book on the side of the bed ready to read, it apparently is quite something.
                                                          It’s an excellent reference for what it takes to be the best in the world at an individual sports, the level of punishment those guys put themselves through is obscene.

Comment

On that reading note. The new Stephen King book is a rather engaging read. Not sure exactly where it is going, but, man, his writing style is so engaging.
                                                            I bet the ending will be fairly disappointing.

Comment

Knock Knock
                                                              whos there?
                                                              Dishes.
                                                              Dishes who?

SPOILER
                                                              Dishes Sean Connery

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Courts?
                                                                Tarmac on the road made your court
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Potentially a big move from BOI on the way regarding mortgages for new applicants. They’re stress testing what will happen if interest rates increase an additional 2% and possibly even follow ICS mortgages criteria or close to it.

Currently if you want a mortgage from ICS, a FTB needs a 20% deposit, mortgage not in excess of 2.5x gross and 1K remaining after mortgage + living expenses each month.

Comment

Potentially a big move from BOI on the way regarding mortgages for new applicants. They’re stress testing what will happen if interest rates increase an additional 2% and possibly even follow ICS mortgages criteria or close to it.

Currently if you want a mortgage from ICS, a FTB needs a 20% deposit, mortgage not in excess of 2.5x gross and 1K remaining after mortgage + living expenses each month.
                                                                    The ICS thing is only for the remainder of the year, as they have allocated all their available capital for the year, no?

Comment

20% deposit and €1k extra .

That reads pretty grim for FTBs. I just hope we can get some more houses built in this country regardless of potential incoming recession/inflation.

Comment

I had to redo my loan offer and got it two days before these changes, still waiting though for PRA/land registry, last thing to do. Sale agreed since april now!

Wonder will things grind to a halt as nobody can afford to buy any more with the BOI/ICS style changes.

Comment

Comment

The ICS thing is only for the remainder of the year, as they have allocated all their available capital for the year, no?
                                                                            Not sure tbh, you’re more privy than I would be on this tbh so assume you’re right.

It did note that Finance Ireland moved the needle too requiring a 250e monthly buffer(seems low tbf) and given BOI are making noise around it, perhaps they are going to rein it in to 3x gross and/or 10% deposit outside HTB scheme or something similar.

Certainly feels like lending will be tightened.

Comment

Not sure tbh, you’re more privy than I would be on this tbh so assume you’re right.

It did note that Finance Ireland moved the needle too requiring a 250e monthly buffer(seems low tbf) and given BOI are making noise around it, perhaps they are going to rein it in to 3x gross and/or 10% deposit outside HTB scheme or something similar.

Certainly feels like lending will be tightened.
                                                                              oh no, I certainly wouldn't know more. Just remember the story in passing as we have our mortgage with ICS. Was thinking it was quite impactful for this year as ICS (and Finance Ireland) are the two big broker-led mortgages.

Comment

Had this outrageous argument with someone. Leading to maybe fifty emails, each more irate than the next. Massive escalation in claims and seniority of everyone involved, calls and firm proposals for someone to be fired from a position for gross incompetence. Was just thinking there now: oh that was mad how crazy that got. And then it took me rather worryingly long to remember that it had only happened this morning, rather than this fuzzy event that I was remembering from the recent past. Just managed to get full throttle into the swing of things when it was happening, and then completely move on and forget it had even been an event this very same day.

Comment

Thoughts on this rather curious story?

Comment

Thoughts on this rather curious story?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/c...-40963367.html
                                                                                    Probably some key info that's not being reported in the article. Seems like one of those reddit threads where everyone is the asshole.

Comment

So we are in London, arrived at our hotel and had a nice rooftop cocktail, then decided on a stroll before dinner. We're staying on the south bank of the Thames and, once we turned onto the river itself, encountered THE QUEUE. Stretching way back beyond Blackfriars and towards Southwark with no endpoint visible. Very much a middle class, middle aged crowd as far as we could see. Facing a cold night (not a cloud in the sky) and a cold wind coming off the Thames.

Just bizarre but also somehow impressive, although not quite sure why.

Comment

So we are in London, arrived at our hotel and had a nice rooftop cocktail, then decided on a stroll before dinner. We're staying on the south bank of the Thames and, once we turned onto the river itself, encountered THE QUEUE. Stretching way back beyond Blackfriars and towards Southwark with no endpoint visible. Very much a middle class, middle aged crowd as far as we could see. Facing a cold night (not a cloud in the sky) and a cold wind coming off the Thames.

Just bizarre but also somehow impressive, although not quite sure why.
                                                                                        It's pure theatre and as staged as the x factor.
                                                                                        They were offered a ticketing system that would have allowed timed entry to a queue that would take less than an hour to clear. But then they would not have the spectacle of the subjects flagellating themselves in public for 12 hours proving that without doubt the one thing the UK leads the world in is queuing.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

In the process of getting approved for a mortgage with them, better get it sorted quick

Comment

The mass underinsurance of homes is a point I made here before. Anyway one to be aware of.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Panda Power gone from market is an absolute kick in the balls I can tell ya.

Was fiddling while Rome burned yesterday (actually was working in a part time gig) then leaped into action today. Might salvage something from the wreckage but it will be a significant % loss of business I reckon.

Emails tomorrow and Sun. Not just any old email they need to be tailored to the individual . Then hopefully they go for my proposal and I keep some of them.

Other than that its hide under a pile of coats time

Comment

Thought this was messing initially, but apparently there's a very small chance the queen is actually in the coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                  The mass underinsurance of homes is a point I made here before. Anyway one to be aware of.
                                                                                                  Actually did that today - reestimated the rebuild costs, and they were indeed quite a bit over what the insurance rebuild cost is for. Insurance is up for renewal at the moment, so rang them and only cost a tenner extra a year to go from being 85% insured to 100% insured.

Simple table here to calculate it: https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house...ld-calculator/ just need your house square metre size and type of house it is and multiple it out.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                    Panda Power gone from market is an absolute kick in the balls I can tell ya.

Was fiddling while Rome burned yesterday (actually was working in a part time gig) then leaped into action today. Might salvage something from the wreckage but it will be a significant % loss of business I reckon.

Emails tomorrow and Sun. Not just any old email they need to be tailored to the individual . Then hopefully they go for my proposal and I keep some of them.

Other than that its hide under a pile of coats time

You're emailing customers to let them know how much prices need to rise by, to handle the increased energy costs?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Probably some key info that's not being reported in the article. Seems like one of those reddit threads where everyone is the asshole.
                                                                                                      There must be something missing in the reporting, for sure.

Comment

Actually did that today - reestimated the rebuild costs, and they were indeed quite a bit over what the insurance rebuild cost is for. Insurance is up for renewal at the moment, so rang them and only cost a tenner extra a year to go from being 85% insured to 100% insured.

Simple table here to calculate it: https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house...ld-calculator/ just need your house square metre size and type of house it is and multiple it out.
                                                                                                        Cheers,

mine is up for renewal and the amount in the proposal is well above the calculator amount. Adding 8% to all our renewal amounts insured in work too.
                                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

korrupt kip of a country

Comment

Talked to some punters in THE QUEUE.

They all universally thought we were in the damn thing with them.

Some fairly frail-looking auld wans amongst them. 20 hours now. It's both mental and bizarrely impressive.

Comment

Talked to some punters in THE QUEUE.

They all universally thought we were in the damn thing with them.

Some fairly frail-looking auld wans amongst them. 20 hours now. It's both mental and bizarrely impressive.
                                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Kinda come full circle on the queen thing. The whole queue thing is stupid. And we wouldn't do it because its stupid. But it is also glorious stupid. Almost an endearing feature of a nation. Better stop now as I'm at risk of complimenting those bastards.

Comment

Kinda come full circle on the queen thing. The whole queue thing is stupid. And we wouldn't do it because it’s stupid. But it is also glorious stupid. Almost an endearing feature of a nation. Better stop now as I'm at risk of complimenting those bastards.
                                                                                                                  You’ve been watching too much sky news
                                                                                                                  its pathetic
                                                                                                                  Can’t think of a single Irish persons death that would cause the level of dribble we are seeing in the uk for even 1 day and that is a great thing. What a bunch of embarrassing cabbages

Comment

I’m not getting the same warm and fuzzies the Irish media is telling me to feel re Charles embarrassing Jeffrey donaldson

much as I love to see unionists humiliated it takes some fucking neck from Charlie to humiliate just about democratically elected representatives.
                                                                                                                    can’t wait for the tide to urn, won’t take long, I reckon a few days max before the Queen is in the ground before the press start turning on him

Comment

You’ve been watching too much sky news
                                                                                                                      its pathetic
                                                                                                                      Can’t think of a single Irish persons death that would cause the level of dribble we are seeing in the uk for even 1 day and that is a great thing. What a bunch of embarrassing cabbages
                                                                                                                      Only Michael Collins came close numbers wise ..

The brits are embarrassing themselves .The job is too big for Charlie , Lizzie knew this. He's like his ol man. Clusterfuck upcoming.

Comment

IQUEUE issues to stand for 12 hours to watch a bit of wood . I'd like to see Lenin's tomb though. Still on view .

Comment

All Blacks v Aussies .

WTF at the end ref . Never saw that before .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X