Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The warnings about unsafe stuff on the site from Google are being removed. The warnings were generated because the tapatalk plugin prompts you to download the app at times and that set off the Google thingy. Should all be OK soon, as it may take a few hours for the warnings to be actually removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
      Gwan Shane.
      Rory playing great stuff too. Unlucky a few putts didn't drop but has had a great close to the season.

Shane was fantastic today. No bogeys over 54 holes and plotted his way round steadily.

Comment

Heh, the Ukrainians have got to the border east of Kharkiv. Russian army ran away at lightning speed.

Obviously that's where they stop but heartwarming to see. Now to clear the rest of Donetsk.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Little Ireland, big achievers .

Lowry SOLID .

Comment

Raoul, have you read Rise And Kill First yet?

I've said it before but it really is a fascinating book.

Was reading about the Black September Munich attack, told from the perspective of an Israeli intelligence op. Didn't dawn on me that it was the 50th anniversary. Looked up further info on it to see Germany had just formally apologised to Israel over their handling of it. Had seen a lot of Israeli flags about the place in Berlin last week, maybe related.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
              Maybe i don’t really get it but is the UKs plan of capping bills to 2.5k per year a bit odd?

Like if you are close to that threshold anyway it just encourages you to leave everything on 24/7 and you won’t be penalised?

Surely it should be the unit rate / standing charge that’s capped?
              Yeah, the 'price cap' is the amount that the average household would end up paying in a year. It's up to the suppliers to adjust the unit rate and standing charges to achieve this. Individual bills will still vary depending on their usage.
              From the Times:
              A common misunderstanding is that the headline figure of the price cap, currently £1,971, “caps” how much your energy bill will be. If you put the heating on 24 hours a day, boil the kettle constantly and use the tumble dryer five times a day, your heating bill will be much — much — higher.
              The price cap means that if you live in an “average” two- to three-bedroom home using about 12,000 units of gas and 2,900 units of electricity a year, your maximum monthly direct debit is now about £164. This time last year, it was £95. From next month, the new price cap would have translated that into average bills of £295.
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                Proud of this one.

I've got ferns in low places.....

I'll get my coat

Comment

That program on RTE there would make you feel quite insignificant in the general scheme of things

Comment

Pretty sure the interviewer was angling Lowry about the Queens death but he took it up as a LIV question

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      Raoul, have you read Rise And Kill First yet?

I've said it before but it really is a fascinating book.

Was reading about the Black September Munich attack, told from the perspective of an Israeli intelligence op. Didn't dawn on me that it was the 50th anniversary. Looked up further info on it to see Germany had just formally apologised to Israel over their handling of it. Had seen a lot of Israeli flags about the place in Berlin last week, maybe related.
                      No, is it an Israeli version of the zillions of 'special ops' books that are out there though?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Was just looking it up this morning!

Above 70 wpm is expert. Tested here and I'm 60-65, so was slightly overconfident on the typing skills! But that was sitting on the bed with the laptop on the knees, so maybe with a bit of effort, and the purchase of a table, it could be improved.
                        typingtest.png

Bamboo is one of the world's....

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

No, is it an Israeli version of the zillions of 'special ops' books that are out there though?
                          Pretty much, but horse's mouth stuff. Bergman, the author seems to have a talent at getting retired intelligence/special ops folk talking.
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Really good piece by Anne Appelbaum in The Atlantic on the implications of Ukrainian victory.

Well worth a few mins read.

Comment

Please hold still while we locate your pointer...
                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

typingtest.png

Bamboo is one of the world's....
                                ffs, thats a fine speed!
                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Heard Patrick Reed got $30 M to sign with LIV, $20 M paid by PGA

Comment

What actual difference does typing speed matter?

Unless you are a typist or in a job where you are doing a shit load of it, it doesn't matter a jot.

I imagine most of us who are office based and churn out the usual 5-20 mails a day - it doesn't hinder on productivity whether you are 20wpm or 70 wpm.

Comment

Figuring out how to word stuff is by far and away the limiting factor. My thinking brain is way slower than my typing brain.

Comment

Here's another useful read on the collapse of the Russian army in Ukraine, this time focussing on the condition and morale of said army.

Comment

Presuming this Ukraine war thing goes into the winter, are things likely to grind to a bit of a halt then? I know it's not exactly the 1940's, but can't be a great idea to be doing the whole war stuff in that cold. Maybe this Ukraine thing is a final effort to break the back of it before winter and give everyone an excuse to go home. Now if only someone would convince mad vlad.

Comment

There are people speaking what sounds like dangerously close to sense on Russian TV. Although one of the other panellists then warns him pretty overtly to think about what he is saying and the consequences of same.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              Little Ireland, big achievers .

Lowry SOLID .
                                              Harrington winning also. Good at hitting little balls. How many potential major winners have we lost to hurling.

Comment

When you look at the Trump base (haven’t gone away) and the deluded Russian /Putin base, there are certain similarities. The US are not so far off being a rogue nation. Imagine if Trump(or his ilk) got in again and his drooling 70 million followers got most of their wishes . Scary shit going on and it’s not just in Russia/Ukraine. All these goons have nukes.

Comment

When you look at the Trump base (haven’t gone away) and the deluded Russian /Putin base, there are certain similarities. The US are not so far off being a rogue nation. Imagine if Trump(or his ilk) got in again and his drooling 70 million followers got most of their wishes . Scary shit going on and it’s not just in Russia/Ukraine. All these goons have nukes.
                                                  These are great days for democracy - Putin having his assed kicked in Ukraine (followed by hopefully being drop-kicked out of a high window in the Kremlin) emasculates the biggest source of anti-democracy in the world. It's also very bad for Trump.

Biden is having an absolute blinder here. Although the man who fronts this entire thing is Zelensky. I bet no-one even knew who he was this time last year....

Comment

That’s an optimistic way to look at it. I’m not so sure democracy is as such a high. It wasn’t looking so hot recently. Looking at the how some of the Republicans in the US think, some of them would nearly have the Russians than the democrats. It’s highly toxic over there, and to think that basic facts are repackaged and believed by millions has got to be scary. Their media HAS to be regulated better and untruths penalised. People like Tucker Carlson should NOT be allowed incite millions of people with his conspiracy theories. If they don’t stand up to scrutiny he should be fined and the media he represents be made to account for blatant inaccuracies . If the us Don’t do this , they are open to anarchy and that threat is growing as the anger of the dim witted / easily deceived meat heads and their ak47S reach a boiling point.

Comment

That’s an optimistic way to look at it. I’m not so sure democracy is as such a high. It wasn’t looking so hot recently. Looking at the how some of the Republicans in the US think, some of them would nearly have the Russians than the democrats. It’s highly toxic over there, and to think that basic facts are repackaged and believed by millions has got to be scary. Their media HAS to be regulated better and untruths penalised. People like Tucker Carlson should NOT be allowed incite millions of people with his conspiracy theories. If they don’t stand up to scrutiny he should be fined and the media he represents be made to account for blatant inaccuracies . If the us Don’t do this , they are open to anarchy and that threat is growing as the anger of the dim witted / easily deceived meat heads and their ak47S reach a boiling point.
                                                      Are you arguing against free speech Mr Solksjaer, if indeed that is your real name?

Comment

Are you arguing against free speech Mr Solksjaer, if indeed that is your real name?
                                                        Free speech is already not allowed . Ask that teacher in Roscommon . (I miss sickpuppy )

Comment

Remember that Carlson's show is actually marketed as 'entertainment'. Presumably to stop having Fox's ass sued off them.

Comment

Remember that Carlson's show is actually marketed as 'entertainment'. Presumably to stop having Fox's ass sued off them.
                                                            Google News feed correctly classifying all the stories regarding UK royalty under entertainment.
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Indeed they had a case dismissed on that basis https://www.newsweek.com/tucker-carl...w-some-1534357

Fox News requested the case be dismissed. In support of its argument, the channel said that Carlson's show serves as "opinion commentary" that is "not reasonably understood as being factual."
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Indeed they had a case dismissed on that basis https://www.newsweek.com/tucker-carl...w-some-1534357
                                                                Therein lies the problem. Any disclaimers before the show? Genuine question as i dont know ?

Comment

Did someone post here just recently about making an investment of X per year on behalf of a godchild to give to them when they're 18? I was just thinking of doing something similar. Prize bond seems the sub-optimal but easy route for small money say €100-200 PA?

Comment

Always good for a bit of entertainment tbf

Comment

What actual difference does typing speed matter?

Unless you are a typist or in a job where you are doing a shit load of it, it doesn't matter a jot.

I imagine most of us who are office based and churn out the usual 5-20 mails a day - it doesn't hinder on productivity whether you are 20wpm or 70 wpm.
                                                                      wha? that's like saying whats the point of going for a run every morning, so that when you are in the office you are in peak condition to sprint from the desk to the jacks and back again as fast as possible and reduce your downtime. Bigger. Stronger. Faster. Always be closing. You spending a minute looking for the z-key on the keyboard is deadzzz money. You're bringing down the whole organisation, Bob. You need to ship up or shape out.

Comment

wha? that's like saying whats the point of going for a run every morning, so that when you are in the office you are in peak condition to sprint from the desk to the jacks and back again as fast as possible and reduce your downtime. Bigger. Stronger. Faster. Always be closing. You spending a minute looking for the z-key on the keyboard is deadzzz money. You're bringing down the whole organisation, Bob. You need to ship up or shape out.
                                                                        Z’s are pish easy.

Tis when you need to break a semi-colon out that things break down.

Comment

Z’s are pish easy.
                                                                          So says the Ukrainian Army anyway

Comment

So says the Ukrainian Army anyway
                                                                            UkRaINE has some pish in it too.

Comment

There are people speaking what sounds like dangerously close to sense on Russian TV. Although one of the other panellists then warns him pretty overtly to think about what he is saying and the consequences of same.

The rhetoric may start to drift towards. “Putin was misled by his experts and advisors. They are responsible”. The unspoken implication being Vlad is not.

Comment

Give us a secondhand TR tomorrow pls.
                                                                                as predicted, it was fine and winout a hiccup
                                                                                They left early around 9.30ish and were home for just after 10.
                                                                                They were pretty far from stage, they were in premium at the canal end (Davin) so sound wasn't too bad but ear defenders would have been a good idea I feel.
                                                                                DeadPigeon happy out and wants to be a cowgirl at the moment
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                  Did someone post here just recently about making an investment of X per year on behalf of a godchild to give to them when they're 18? I was just thinking of doing something similar. Prize bond seems the sub-optimal but easy route for small money say €100-200 PA?
                                                                                  twas me. he invested it in a vanguard fund i believe. prize bonds is an option but the returns are notoriously low (1-2% pa i think?)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

The rhetoric may start to drift towards. “Putin was misled by his experts and advisors. They are responsible”. The unspoken implication being Vlad is not.
                                                                                    Apparently Putin has 'retreated' (rather hilarious term given that's exactly what his army is doing all over Ukraine) to his villa in Sochi.

Hopefully in the same way that 'the Tsar retreated to Ekaterinburg'.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

twas me. he invested it in a vanguard fund i believe. prize bonds is an option but the returns are notoriously low (1-2% pa i think?)
                                                                                      Worse than that even. I'd much rather a Vanguard fund but not sure how I would organise it. Did your friend just invest in an account of his own intending to hand over the funds later?

Comment

While we have you, will London be semi-closed this coming weekend or what is the craic?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Worse than that even. I'd much rather a Vanguard fund but not sure how I would organise it. Did your friend just invest in an account of his own intending to hand over the funds later?
                                                                                          i think as part of his own ISA investments, but i can double check if you like?

Comment

While we have you, will London be semi-closed this coming weekend or what is the craic?
                                                                                            weekend should be pretty normal. monday should be quite quiet. although it's a bank holiday it will be up to companies to decide whether they will close or not. my office hasn't even decided yet whether we'll get the day off, so i'm sure a lot of other companies are in the same boat.

Comment

weekend should be pretty normal. monday should be quite quiet. although it's a bank holiday it will be up to companies to decide whether they will close or not. my office hasn't even decided yet whether we'll get the day off, so i'm sure a lot of other companies are in the same boat.
                                                                                              Cool, was just hoping the place wouldn't be swarmed by millions of distraught subjects, sorry I mean citizens.

Comment

i think as part of his own ISA investments, but i can double check if you like?
                                                                                                Thanks but no need to go to any trouble. I'll be on to the FA shortly re:mortgage insurance options so I can run it by him.

Comment

At least RTE have finally realised that the largest offensive in Europe since WW2 is more worthy of the news lead than the death of a 96 y/o.

Comment

Was thinking about Czeslawa Kwoka today.
                                                                                                    What people are capable of and its happening right now.

Comment

Day 1 in London. Got into a heated argument about the monarchy once the vast majority of staff had left.

4 more days to go.

Can he keep his job?? Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                        Was thinking about Czeslawa Kwoka today.
                                                                                                        What people are capable of and its happening right now.
                                                                                                        Reminded me of the time i was flying Heathrow to Sea Tac Airport and trying to compose myself over the 'boy in the striped pyjamas ' . Yes please I 'll have a white wine. Sniff ..cue hostess soft smile.

Comment

Cool, was just hoping the place wouldn't be swarmed by millions of distraught subjects, sorry I mean citizens.
                                                                                                          Yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
                                                                                                          No-one does mawkishness or preformative grief like a royalist
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
                                                                                                            No-one does mawkishness or preformative grief like a royalist
                                                                                                            for sure. some parts of London will be mobbed with royalists

Comment

Presumably its the mother being arrested for those poor kids burned in a car? Those types of stories are just heartbreaking.

Comment

Comment

Comment

So who else had to Google Zendaya?

Edit - didnt even bother Googling who the lad who said it is.

Comment

There was someone telling me the other day that this would have all been wargamed by the brightest minds in the EU, before any sanction was implemented.

There's not a chance in hell it was wargamed that the energy sanctions would wipe 10%+ off household income in the EU, and actually increase the energy revenue of the sanctioned country.

The advantage of being in a set of democracies is that we can call awful decisions as awful decisions and not risk being thrown out of the window of a very tall building.

I'm surprised there's not more outrage tbh. People seem to almost be overwhelmed by stress.
                                                                                                                      ​​​​​​
                                                                                                                      I think this is pretty clearly not the case, sanctions should have been much more targeted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Edit - didnt even bother Googling who the lad who said it is.
                                                                                                                        Who loves orange soda?

Comment

Who loves orange soda?
                                                                                                                          You've the wrong bloke. Kel loves orange soda, not Kenan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X