• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    This is ... wow!

Comment

Moar Garth

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Narcos-Saints, just arrived on Netflix I think, starts so fucking good. Those Koreans just can't make a bad thing. It's a must watch.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

If your homing pigeon doesn't come back.... what you had was a pigeon.

Comment

A League of Their Own was decent for a couple of years. Turned to utter tripe then. Amazed it's still going. Big meh to the above.

[/Misery Guest]

Comment

Decent enough speech by Charles. Although, had to fastforward the middle bit a bit as he got into mundanity. I guess he is a decent guy at heart based on his campaigns. Not sure William is the same ilk. Seems a bit of a prick.
              A family of pricks even the women in these transgender times

Comment

Ken Burns Vietnam docuseries is back on Sky Max on Monday. It was on PBS last year but haven’t seen it since then, good one to have recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  So, given the speed of the ongoing Russian military collapse, you would have to wonder what's next? Can Putin cling to power after such humiliation? Are there any Russians brave enough to publicly face him down? Will the Russian military refuse to fight?

Definitely one of those weeks where decades worth of history happen.
                  Continued good news this morning as the RuSSians are giving up more eastern cities without much resistance. If there's any sane leaders in Russia, which is debatable given how Putin has concentrated power, now is the time for them to step up and unseat the mad Tsar.

Here's hoping! Pity the queen's death is hogging the media narrative.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This tells some of the story.

Comment

Hard to know what Russia will do next. They probably feel they can't withdraw. So are we left with:

1. Conscription (but will that deliver appropriate talent)
                      2. Force Belarus to get involved (not sure Lukashenko has stayed in power this long by being on the losing side)
                      3. Move to more powerful weaponry (and then be a complete pariah)

The alternative is that Putin gets overthrown and the new-old guard say: whoops, that guy was a maniac, the rest of us are all cuddly teddy bears. Hard to see that happening really?

There's going to be some escalation though, they're not going to sit there and simply lose. Its just not an option for them. Now, maybe with even all the options available they are still forced to lose, just through being too weak, but there will be significant attempts at escalation first.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                        The story of the 1983 America's cup Untold: The Race of the Century on Netflix is worth a watch. Marvellous sporting drama.
                        Really enjoyed it too. Had no idea around the history of it
                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Finding it hard to be as optimistic as RDIII about the war.

Even the most positive takes like this from Mason have no clue how it can end well.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Also can't really see how it ends well. Putin will avoid losing under pretty much any circumstance. We just have to hope that this doesn't include nuclear.

Comment

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Dead Pigeon at the breakfast table this morning......

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Hard to know what Russia will do next. They probably feel they can't withdraw.
                                      'Withdrawing' implies some kind of organised retreat, as part of a wider strategy.

Whereas they're actually refusing to fight and running away in panic.

Comment

'Withdrawing' implies some kind of organised retreat, as part of a wider strategy.

Whereas they're actually refusing to fight and running away in panic.
                                        Wouldn't extrapolate too much from a 50km incursion, into a 45,000km occupation area. If they weren't expecting an incursion in that region, they probably didn't leave the best and the brightest guarding it either. Plus, as you know yourself, there tends to be all manners of exaggeration in these stories. Its a war story as old as time to create a sense that things are crumbling to get inside the heads of soldiers.

Comment

To my mind, the best approach for the overall war effort which is being essentially coordinated by the US, would be for the US to get on to Georgia and Moldova and encourage them to take back the bits of their territories currently occupied by the Russians, while the Russians are distracted. Essentially create a global sense of doubt in the Russian political system that 'everything' is collapsing.

Comment

Wouldn't extrapolate too much from a 50km incursion, into a 45,000km occupation area. If they weren't expecting an incursion in that region, they probably didn't leave the best and the brightest guarding it either. Plus, as you know yourself, there tends to be all manners of exaggeration in these stories. Its a war story as old as time to create a sense that things are crumbling to get inside the heads of soldiers.
                                            Well, you've been wrong about literally everything in this conflict so I think I might treat your opinion accordingly.

That entire front south-east of Kharkiv is collapsing. The Ukrainians have taken a bunch of major cities and aren't stopping. The Russians have kindly left vast stores of military equipment behind them.

And, as we know from history, military collapse leads to political collapse...

Comment

Well, you've been wrong about literally everything in this conflict so I think I might treat your opinion accordingly.

That entire front south-east of Kharkiv is collapsing. The Ukrainians have taken a bunch of major cities and aren't stopping. The Russians have kindly left vast stores of military equipment behind them.

And, as we know from history, military collapse leads to political collapse...
                                              sure. you've just chosen to respond to me, there was similar responses from other people above. And indeed, there is the repeated warnings from the US not to over-extrapolate from some short-term gains, that the hard work is all ahead, even if the start is decent.

But, anyway! I think you want us to just read your tweet posts and consume them without comment, while earlier today a few of us were having a decent enough conversation which you chose to ignore and view us instead as people who need to take on your views. Analysis and discussion are the interesting bits, not shouting down people like its a football match. Which is probably why no-one responds to your Russian posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                Finding it hard to be as optimistic as RDIII about the war.

Even the most positive takes like this from Mason have no clue how it can end well.

It ends well with Russian military collapse, followed by political collapse.

The first is currently happening. The second will follow.

Comment

It ends well with Russian military collapse, followed by political collapse.

The first is currently happening. The second will follow.
                                                  I dunno RD3, I wouldn’t be one to hold someone to a prediction but might have to hold you to the second.

Now, I’m midway through Sergii Plohky’s The Last Empire and it is striking how quick the Union came down around Gorbachev but I don’t know if that’s what’s facing Putin.

In order for Putin to go, something needs to give. I suppose I’m curious what needs to go that hasn’t gone already and for who. Not a question for you btw.

Comment

I sincerely hope that when the Brits finally come to their senses (looks like it’ll take a while) that their is a public inquiry into the absolutely disgraceful decision to cancel the premier league games this weekend
                                                    maybe I’m just salty because I was looking forward to seeing if the Pool fans got some boos in.

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Wonder does King Charles still have a valet squeeze toothpaste onto his toothbrush for him
                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Kitchen guy emailed looking for his balance paid. He's to come back for some snags though.

In fairness, he's waiting around for the worktop people before he can come back, but wtf asking to be paid in full.

We owe him 11, will I offer 7 now and balance on full completion? What way would you play it?
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                          Kitchen guy emailed looking for his balance paid. He's to come back for some snags though.

In fairness, he's waiting around for the worktop people before he can come back, but wtf asking to be paid in full.

We owe him 11, will I offer 7 now and balance on full completion? What way would you play it?
                                                          7 now, balance later, seems eminently fair.

Comment

Passing through Drumcondra & sweet jaysus ... packs of women in denim shorts,
                                                            cowboy boots and 10 gallon hats!!!

Sounds heavenly but tbh
                                                            not every Irish girl was built for that look.

Great vibe though,
                                                            so nice to see so many smiling faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I dunno RD3, I wouldn’t be one to hold someone to a prediction but might have to hold you to the second.

Now, I’m midway through Sergii Plohky’s The Last Empire and it is striking how quick the Union came down around Gorbachev but I don’t know if that’s what’s facing Putin.

In order for Putin to go, something needs to give. I suppose I’m curious what needs to go that hasn’t gone already and for who. Not a question for you btw.
                                                              Good read isn't it?

But I think the historical parallel to reach for here is 1917.

What needs to give is the Russian military (just like 1917).

Comment

Proud of this one.

Comment

It's definitely a feature of dictatorships that we tend not to realise how fragile they are. Rule based on fear can collapse very quickly.
                                                                  Pity so much independent media got kicked out of Moscow as I suspect that's where the real action will be in the coming days.

Comment

Ukrainians obv saw that video of the Welsh lad

Comment

Ukrainians obv saw that video of the Welsh lad
                                                                      They're now in territory annexed in 2014.

Putin will be pulling back behind the Urals at this rate.

Comment

Mens Rugby 7s team showing how to get past the quarter-final.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1724815&d=1662844714&type=thumb
                                                                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Was out foraging for blackberries today. Must have picked about €10 worth. Drizzle of honey and Greek yogurt.....nom nom nom.

Comment

Narcos-Saints, just arrived on Netflix I think, starts so fucking good. Those Koreans just can't make a bad thing. It's a must watch.
                                                                              Rarely lower myself to mere repetition, but this is an epic series, as far as the second episode anyway.

Comment

Rarely lower myself to mere repetition, but this is an epic series, as far as the second episode anyway.
                                                                                Oh that looks good alright

Comment

Oh that looks good alright
                                                                                  There's something about the Koreans. They can't put a step wrong!

Comment

If I give an NY Times article and a Reuters article, and you respond with gut instinct, forgive me for not overcommitting to the debate
                                                                                    Those articles are 100 days out of date. I’ve also quoted Reuters article with up to date data. There’s no gut instinct. But as usual face with sense and facts you try to make up some nonsense to try evade.
                                                                                    It may still be up. But I dint think it’s wrong to expect the pull picture. And when single media publications are contradicting themselves, it’s obvious it’s not static

Comment

Got our place measured for worktops on Monday and they aren't fitting them until Tuesday week. That'll be 6 weeks of washing dishes in the bathroom

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Got our place measured for worktops on Monday and they aren't fitting them until Tuesday week. That'll be 6 weeks of washing dishes in the bathroom
                                                                                        I'm still slowly reclaiming rooms and painting them up. My office and the hall done this weekend. Just the kitchen/living area and downstairs jacks to go - fairly backbreaking but will have it all done by Halloween.

Comment

This is a useful attempt at explaining the current state of play in Ukraine. I hadn't thought about the China angle but it's a great point.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

We signed off on our drawings last Mon, they said about three weeks.

We're OK though as we still have our old kitchen functioning. I'm taking two weeks off work to turn it into a living room. Obv can't do that until the new one is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Those articles are 100 days out of date. I’ve also quoted Reuters article with up to date data. There’s no gut instinct. But as usual face with sense and facts you try to make up some nonsense to try evade.
                                                                                              It may still be up. But I dint think it’s wrong to expect the pull picture. And when single media publications are contradicting themselves, it’s obvious it’s not static
                                                                                              You argued against the Reuters article you yourself posted.

Comment

Have both kids typing away on laptops trying furiously to learn touch-typing in return for cold hard cash (in their revolut accounts).

Its an accepted principle of the psychology of child-rearing that you shouldn't give cash for learning, but tried it over the summer to finally get the eldest to read 'something'. Gave her €20 per book read within a certain time. She read three books and as I was handing over the €60, she inquired as to whether she was also allowed to read books for no money. I graciously accepted her request and now shes reading every day.

The typing is bringing back fond memories of this bad boy. Still have a ridic high typing speed as a result.

computing-pc-software-educational-software-mavis-beacon-teaches-typing-platinum-v20-pc-mac.jpg?auto=format&bg=0FFF&fit=fill&h=600&q=100&w=600&s=68ae180e99f2a22ea076a6fd41180ab7.jpg

Comment

Ireland bringing it to nz in the 7s.all Square and 6 minutes to go!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                    Ireland bringing it to nz in the 7s.all Square and 6 minutes to go!
                                                                                                    so close to the final. great effort

Comment

You argued against the Reuters article you yourself posted.
                                                                                                      Lol, no I didn’t. The article showed a massive drop gas in revenue from December last year, after an initial spike. How did I argue against that? I said the drop makes sense and I want to see the overall picture.
                                                                                                      Thats a really lazy attempt at gaslighting Hitch.

Comment

Any fancies in The Curragh or Doncaster?

Comment

Lol, no I didn’t. The article showed a massive drop gas in revenue from December last year, after an initial spike. How did I argue against that? I said the drop makes sense and I want to see the overall picture.
                                                                                                          Thats a really lazy attempt at gaslighting Hitch.
                                                                                                          In your comment you acknowledged that you had just honed in on gas, rather than oil and gas, despite oil being the main revenue. So, it was a mad article to link to anyway. Then you said you were going to ignore some of the information in the article. I think you just like arguing, even with yourself it seems.

Comment

Have both kids typing away on laptops trying furiously to learn touch-typing in return for cold hard cash (in their revolut accounts).

Its an accepted principle of the psychology of child-rearing that you shouldn't give cash for learning, but tried it over the summer to finally get the eldest to read 'something'. Gave her €20 per book read within a certain time. She read three books and as I was handing over the €60, she inquired as to whether she was also allowed to read books for no money. I graciously accepted her request and now shes reading every day.

The typing is bringing back fond memories of this bad boy. Still have a ridic high typing speed as a result.

computing-pc-software-educational-software-mavis-beacon-teaches-typing-platinum-v20-pc-mac.jpg?auto=format&bg=0FFF&fit=fill&h=600&q=100&w=600&s=68ae180e99f2a22ea076a6fd41180ab7.jpg
                                                                                                            What counts as average/fast typing speeds?
                                                                                                            Id assume in academia it general higher general business. I’d assume there website applet to test speeds

Comment

In your comment you acknowledged that you had just honed in on gas, rather than oil and gas, despite oil being the main revenue. So, it was a mad article to link to anyway. Then you said you were going to ignore some of the information in the article. I think you just like arguing, even with yourself it seems.
                                                                                                              I acknowledged it was about gas, because it was. How have you twisted that into “argued against the article”. Regardless of oil revenue being higher, Gas revenue still contributes to energy. Although you did trying to move the goal posts on that.

Wanting to see all the info for all sectors should not be a big deal. I find it very odd to take issue with it.

Comment

What counts as average/fast typing speeds?
                                                                                                                Id assume in academia it general higher general business. I’d assume there website applet to test speeds
                                                                                                                Was just looking it up this morning!

Above 70 wpm is expert. Tested here and I'm 60-65, so was slightly overconfident on the typing skills! But that was sitting on the bed with the laptop on the knees, so maybe with a bit of effort, and the purchase of a table, it could be improved.

Comment

The death of Queen Elizabeth, although quite sad, reminds us all of the importance of spending quality time with our elderly relatives.

One of my fondest memories was building sandcastles with my grandpa.

That is, until my mom took the urn away.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                    Any fancies in The Curragh or Doncaster?
                                                                                                                    Backed Romantic Proposal and Tahiyra.

Comment

Backed Romantic Proposal and Tahiyra.
                                                                                                                      Obv time to martingale onto the latter

Comment

Obv time to martingale onto the latter
                                                                                                                        Solid plan! That was very impressive.

Comment

Gwan Shane.
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X