Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Iranian research assistant brought back a load of pistachios among a selection of local delicacies, and its fair to say we get the absolute dregs of the pistachio world in our supermarkets. The flavour, oh my god.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

He has responded to sanctions with sanctions. Its not quite happening in isolation!
      yes, let's just ignore the entire context of why Russia is being sanctioned ffs

Obama's old line of Russia being 'a gas station with nukes' may have to be updated. Although 'a failed state with nukes' is scarier...
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

yes, let's just ignore the entire context of why Russia is being sanctioned ffs
        Sure. But from a Russian perspective, they're hardly likely to sit there and do nothing. Of course, they are reacting in the most painful way possible, in the same way as our sanctions were designed to be as painful as possible (except that we inadvertently used sanctions to triple the price of energy and deliver bumper revenues to Russia, but our intention was good ).

Comment

My Iranian research assistant brought back a load of pistachios among a selection of local delicacies, and its fair to say we get the absolute dregs of the pistachio world in our supermarkets. The flavour, oh my god.
          I remember getting a kilo of freshly roasted pistachios in Turkey years back and they were off the charts. The roaster dude did say at the time that Iranian nuts were, well, the nuts.

Comment

No more pretence out of Mad Vlad anyway. He's openly declared energy war on the EU.
            I hope the simplistic mad Vlad meme is not shaping policy where it matters.
            He has a plan that is at least a decade in the making. He poses a viable existential threat to democracy and I don't see how we can resist it without at a minimum regime change in Moscow.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Sure. But from a Russian perspective, they're hardly likely to sit there and do nothing. Of course, they are reacting in the most painful way possible, in the same way as our sanctions were designed to be as painful as possible (except that we inadvertently used sanctions to triple the price of energy and deliver bumper revenues to Russia, but our intention was good ).
              My own view is it's likely to be a bad winter (maybe climate change will come to our aid) in Europe, but this is it - we will be decoupled from Russian gas and oil for ever. We're rich enough to work it out, survive and thrive. And they can continue their descent into being a very large version of North Korea.

Comment

Fcuk me. Iran added to the list of rogue states Hitch aiding and abetting.

His Sino-Russ recruitment involved highly skilled Mata Hari style succubi deploying a standard honey trap while posing as students. I expect tails of some X-rated Arabian Nights to follow soon.

I'm still investigating The French Connection and his links to a retired Russian \ Cuban operative codename The Courier.
                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Fuel inflation. If it’s a hump, let’s look after the vulnerable for this winter. Who of us are really going to freeze to death in your own homes. Sure wrap yourselves up in Amazon packaging .

Throw a Wish coat on the bed , you’ll never wear it anyway . (What possessed you to buy the fecker, did you catch the gay? ) . Cold Showers are very good for you, I’ve started taking them since Brittney went mad on Instagram with her nudey pictures. They are very bracing indeed but they don’t cool the jets , that’s a myth. If anything they get the jets firing. If I ever get to meet her I’ll tell her he nudies helped me recover from the shock of her music.
                  e can overcome this economic Ice age. People complaining about Inflation have spent a fortune during lockdown. Ask Chairman Lao? The China shipments almost broke the shipping industry. The only real concern is the Russian people of today only have the balls for jumping from one high building to the next until they die on their 39th attempt . No October revolution coming
                  Putin would have been rasmanov’d back in the day. (hmm Putin /RasPutin , Is it a common name?) . I’ve lost respect for the common mad bastard Russian.

The guy in the driving range told me to get my cash out of the bank and keep it handy for when the wifi goes down during the great blackout. What an idiot. I’ve no money in the bank.

Comment

Doom switch well and truly on today. Only did 20% of a somewhat recovered BR.(was only down 20% from ATH at start of day)
                    Made a couple of bad calls but the luck was grim.
                    Got solidly mullered for 4 hours then moved down a level ... what's this first hand top set and second nut flush draw and someone betting into me ..pot...call ..turn brings spade FD possibility.. pot call. river ...SPADE bets into me
                    Could be a bad fold I dunno anymore.

Saw some of the worst donkiest trash hand playing idiocy ...Irish lad stumbling and bumbling his way through hands getting ridiculously lucky. He dusted off 2 buyins at the start playing trash and then the garbage started to work for him.

Ah well...no need to respond by the way just wanted to write it down.

May be mad putting time into it but the energy market is fucked so need the supplement. Monthly challenge will bring in a few quid as long as I don't bust out first

Comment

My own view is it's likely to be a bad winter (maybe climate change will come to our aid) in Europe, but this is it - we will be decoupled from Russian gas and oil for ever. We're rich enough to work it out, survive and thrive. And they can continue their descent into being a very large version of North Korea.
                      Even though I by and large agree, I do wonder what will happen if someone, lets say Italy, breaks ranks and goes for Russian oil/gas
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Even though I by and large agree, I do wonder what will happen if someone, lets say Italy, breaks ranks and goes for Russian oil/gas
                        Europe has literally never been this united. I don't see it.

Comment

Business energy rates are now astonishingly high.
                          From Dec 20 rates have increased 6 fold on gas and x 5 on electricity prices.
                          Going to be a lot of restaurants/fast food places etc just pulling down the shutters

Its actually far cheaper to be out of contract now with one of the bigger companies (a variable rate) in case any of you have a business rate.
                          Make sure you don't go into auto renew on a renewal letter.

Comment

@RDIII I am in a similar situation to yourself re: signing up to a dual fuel bundle last October,
                            does anyone know can I book in with energía to swap on the contract expiry date now? Or just wait it out and possibly see the rates go up in the meantime
                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I think that's the case in Ireland definitely. We'll use this to make renewables a national priority. Not sure if the rest of Europe being permanently tied into very high cost US LNG is really the best. And a lot of countries don't have our geographic advantages. It probably is for the best though.

Comment

But it is going to be an absolutely awful winter for a lot of people if it's not mild. Not quite sure it will be solved by next winter either. Could be three / four years of pain. Albeit getting a small bit better each year.
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Fcuk me. Iran added to the list of rogue states Hitch aiding and abetting.

His Sino-Russ recruitment involved highly skilled Mata Hari style succubi deploying a standard honey trap while posing as students. I expect tails of some X-rated Arabian Nights to follow soon.

I'm still investigating The French Connection and his links to a retired Russian \ Cuban operative codename The Courier.
                                  Iranians are the secret sauce of the world's universities. Always ridic bright, ridic able. They tend to be sound also. I'd imagine there is a bonus weighting attached to any Iranian job applicants, because the national reputation is so good in academia.

Am, though, in the market for a North Korean if anyone spots them.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                    @RDIII I am in a similar situation to yourself re: signing up to a dual fuel bundle last October,
                                    does anyone know can I book in with energía to swap on the contract expiry date now? Or just wait it out and possibly see the rates go up in the meantime
                                    The problem with domestic rates is they are variable anyway.
                                    They talk about great discounts but it's a % discount off a standard variable rate so they will all be going up anyway.
                                    Surely your rate has increased during your contract already. Mine has with Energia.

Comment

Iranians are the secret sauce of the world's universities. Always ridic bright, ridic able. They tend to be sound also. I'd imagine there is a bonus weighting attached to any Iranian job applicants, because the national reputation is so good in academia.

Am, though, in the market for a North Korean if anyone spots them.
                                      How are Irish perceived in academia by comparison?

Comment

But it is going to be an absolutely awful winter for a lot of people if it's not mild. Not quite sure it will be solved by next winter either. Could be three / four years of pain. Albeit getting a small bit better each year.
                                        ​​​​​​
                                        Though there's a wonderful nostalgia factor of the 1980's about it. Hope there are still libraries you can go to for the free heat. Was kind of surprised nobody mentioned in the pandy that Dubliners started wearing facemasks in 1988 because of the smog, and then that right wing cunt Harney banned dirty coal
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ah what a loss Paddy Maloney is. Watching some Chieftains thing online earlier. An era ended .

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

How are Irish perceived in academia by comparison?
                                            'sociable', would be the main Irish academic attribute that we are known for abroad. Which goes a long way in fairness.

English tend to be viewed as either cranks or leaders. Leaders, as that accent goes a long way. But cranks based on institutional experience.

American academics trying to move abroad tend to find it very hard to get work, as everyone assumes they've just watched Eat Pray Love and think working abroad will solve their deep psychoses.

Tunisians, Algerians, Syrians are massively sought after as its known they are so good at computation. I'd say they might control between them over half of all the world's research on supply chain (notoriously mathematically complex).

Chinese find it hard as they almost never integrate and usually eventually want to move home. (with maybe at least one honourable exception ​​​​​​)

Wouldn't be surprised in a decade to see Indians being at least 25% of Irish academia. Increasingly top notch and you'd know they have no intention of going home due to India not yet being up to scratch.

Italians tend to be strong. French tend to be odd. Germans: varies by gender. Female German academics tend to be great. In any case you need the German to have worked outside of Germany for a fair bit to rough off the Germanic edges.

Russians: only for the sciences. You expect about 1 in every 4 of them to go certifiably insane over their career. So you always need backup Russians.

South Americans tend to start bright but aim for mental retirement around the age of 40, even if they'll still turn up for a paycheck for the subsequent 25 years. Greeks similar.

Comment

Agree with much of that but have had completely the opposite experience with almost every Indian. All the ones I've dealt with have not been very good and want to get the hell back to the hot weather and familiar food and a handy academic position in the mother land.

Comment

Cold calm winter will shatter a lot of peoples illusions
                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

It’s a bit concerning when you see grown adults falling for the Comic book version of Zelensky in corporate media (some of whom were publishing articles about how corrupt his backers were on the rare occasions they paid any attention to Ukraine in the past).
                                                  so much bullshit being pushed (putin supposed to be long dead of cancer+Parkinson’s at this stage , don’t know how many times Russia were supposed to be running out of soldiers, missiles , generals and on the verge of collapse but yet still it drags on). European alliances willingness to suffer for the Americans will crack if this winter is bad .

don’t know what’s going on myself but at least I’m not trumpeting obvious propaganda
                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

LOL you'd swear we lived in Alaska .

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                      It’s a bit concerning when you see grown adults falling for the Comic book version of Zelensky in corporate media (some of whom were publishing articles about how corrupt his backers were on the rare occasions they paid any attention to Ukraine in the past).
                                                      so much bullshit being pushed (putin supposed to be long dead of cancer+Parkinson’s at this stage , don’t know how many times Russia were supposed to be running out of soldiers, missiles , generals and on the verge of collapse but yet still it drags on). European alliances willingness to suffer for the Americans will crack if this winter is bad .

don’t know what’s going on myself but at least I’m not trumpeting obvious propaganda
                                                      Ridic amount of propaganda. None from Russia that has reached our ears also, as their communication channels have all been shut down. It seems quite counterproductive. Especially things like the Putin terminal illness thing, as it shows people how easily mistruths can work their way out from what we view as reliable sources. There was a few days discussion about when Putin would die on here.

​​​​​Having said that. I slightly believe that the current Ukrainian counteroffensive is going to have some positive results. It seems quite smartly targeted, as essentially it is designed and run by the US, and the weapons seem to be having a decent effect.

Comment

Chatting away to the brother in law this morning as I drove him into uni for his first day. He's a very gentle soul as I mentioned previously. He was saying: so are people likely to react to me negatively because I'm Russian?

​​​​​I said: no-one will ever say anything directly. What they'll do is they'll say something like 'oh you must be suffering awfully in Russia with the sanctions. Is your family okay?'.

'what you need to do in that situation', I said, 'is completely ignore the fake interest in Russian sanction suffering, its an indirect angle to extract your opinion on Ukraine, and instead exclaim: oh but its nothing compared to the suffering of my poor Ukrainian friends'.

He went: 'but that's what I think!!!'. I went: 'you're good man, your good'. Which resulted in a few more minutes of impassioned protests from him, but I think the point was made.

He then asked me, and this is a weird one - is it considered rude to cross your legs in Ireland when you are sitting?

That couldn't possibly be a thing?

​​​​​​
                                                        ​​​​

Comment

I'd assume that the nuts we are from some similar middle east source. And a huge difference being the ones you had were relatively freshly roasted vrs something that has gone through years of warehousing and is a bit stale.

Comment

Ridic amount of propaganda. None from Russia that has reached our ears also

This happens every year

Comment

Chatting away to the brother in law this morning as I drove him into uni for his first day. He's a very gentle soul as I mentioned previously. He was saying: so are people likely to react to me negatively because I'm Russian?

​​​​​I said: no-one will ever say anything directly. What they'll do is they'll say something like 'oh you must be suffering awfully in Russia with the sanctions. Is your family okay?'.

'what you need to do in that situation', I said, 'is completely ignore the fake interest in Russian sanction suffering, its an indirect angle to extract your opinion on Ukraine, and instead exclaim: oh but its nothing compared to the suffering of my poor Ukrainian friends'.

He went: 'but that's what I think!!!'. I went: 'you're good man, your good'. Which resulted in a few more minutes of impassioned protests from him, but I think the point was made.

He then asked me, and this is a weird one - is it considered rude to cross your legs in Ireland when you are sitting?

That couldn't possibly be a thing?
                                                              ​​​​
                                                              ​​​​
                                                              No idea about Russia's take on it, but;

Crossing you legs is consider rude in East-Asian countries and Japan, especially in formal settings. It's not so much that the gesture is rude in itself. But that its overly casual. Imagine sitting in an interview with your arms crossed and the image that portrays. Which is kinda of ironic, and female sitting cross legged is pretty formal in the West.

It's also rude to show people the soles of your feet in many places. Especially if you point them at them. Which would make the ankle on opposite knee (the typical male cross leg) a bit of a faux pas. I think it comes from places where the ground is filthy, and the feet by extension. These place also put a certain esteem on washing feet.

Comment

I wonder if the Chinese spit at interviews . Gross but widley accepted as normal plus belching in restaurants.

Comment

Managed to get out of my 3 year fixed (2 years left) and extend to 5 years with only 0.05% of an increase with no break fee.
                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I'd assume that the nuts we are from some similar middle east source. And a huge difference being the ones you had were relatively freshly roasted vrs something that has gone through years of warehousing and is a bit stale.
                                                                    That could well be it.

Comment

sure we've had some awful attempts at propaganda from deviants like Wallace / Daly / Hitch, but those have merely entered the public consciousness due to how ineffective they are, and to be mocked. There's no serious effective propaganda in the English language, although probably there is in some other languages.

Comment

Is it that if the Gulf Stream stops, there was a bit of news on it recently, that we essentially become about five degrees cooler at any given point during the year? Was trying to look it up, but can't quite get the science as there's very little that's Irish specific.

Comment

Is it that if the Gulf Stream stops, there was a bit of news on it recently, that we essentially become about five degrees cooler at any given point during the year? Was trying to look it up, but can't quite get the science as there's very little that's Irish specific.
                                                                          I think it's a little bit less than that, and will vary by latitude so Donegal will really be in for it in winter. It will also become very dry which isn't ideal for a country of farmers.

Comment

We are on the same latitude as Northern Labrador and Newfoundland where the snow doesn't melt until June. This place is nothing without the gulf stream.
                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The countdown is now on to the launch of the new Facebook VR premium headset. If this is done right it could really signal the potential of VR.

Comment

sure we've had some awful attempts at propaganda from deviants like Wallace / Daly / Hitch, but those have merely entered the public consciousness due to how ineffective they are, and to be mocked. There's no serious effective propaganda in the English language, although probably there is in some other languages.
                                                                                People are more aware of it now, that's all.

Comment

People are more aware of it now, that's all.
                                                                                  Thats the same as stopping it. It only works when you aren't aware of it. As this fine masterpiece from the creator of propaganda once made clear.

9563100913.jpg

Comment

The countdown is now on to the launch of the new Facebook VR premium headset. If this is done right it could really signal the potential of VR.
                                                                                    They're spending $10 billion a year on hardware at the moment. A software company, spending 1/8 of the Intel's TOTAL REVENUE on hardware research. Amazing stuff. Best of all is they're giving some of it to me

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

They're spending $10 billion a year on hardware at the moment. A software company, spending 1/8 of the Intel's TOTAL REVENUE on hardware research. Amazing stuff. Best of all is they're giving some of it to me
                                                                                      I hope you are using it to improve the VR porn experience.

Comment

If that requires ultra-bight red LEDs, then yes.

Comment

I think that might be a subset of Japanese tentacle with laser beam porn, so we're all good.

Comment

Erling Haaland to have 1 or more shots on target (v Sevilla) @ evs on PP seems to be buying money
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Calling it Project Cambria seems a tad on the nose for facebook considering their history with a certain analytics company

Comment

ha. Maybe a subtle warning from a deep insider.

Comment

Calling it Project Cambria seems a tad on the nose for facebook considering their history with a certain analytics company
                                                                                                  I didn’t think of that link. But I was wondering why the fuck they’re naming it after Wales.

Comment

Erling Haaland to have 1 or more shots on target (v Sevilla) @ evs on PP seems to be buying money
                                                                                                    Buying a tenner anyway
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

I thought it was now recognised that the winds plays a larger role than the current.

Comment

5% of GDP

Comment

5% of GDP

Not like it's ever getting paid so whatever

Comment

Germany are on their 3rd round now with the latest equating to just shy of 2% of GDP l

France’s latest is close 50 billion while half their nuclear reactors on the blink. Italy also north of 50 billion which Draghi barely passed with an impending election and some Northern League calling for relaxing of sanctions.

Czech’s also around 3% of GDP in subsidies too.

Bulgaria has already pulled the plug on US LNG hoping to source theirs from Azerbaijani/Turkish sources with their new energy minister a former employee of a Russian linked energy company.

Comment

Anyone remember the name of the swanky hotel + casino in Slovenia that hosted a big poker event a few years ago?
                                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Not like it's ever getting paid so whatever
                                                                                                                Just so I understand this, as I've heard a few variations, is this a wedge of money to energy companies to freeze rates to be paid back in public taxation?

Comment

What a start

Comment

out in 7.10 in Galway i see, might sneak a place on the yielding ground

Comment

The missus won tickets to garth Brooks for Friday.. She's planning to bring our 6 year old as im mental busy with work.
                                                                                                                      ​​​Anyone know if the Davin stand is covered?
                                                                                                                      Also, mental to go there with a kid? I figured garth brooks would be sedate enough

Comment

The missus won tickets to garth Brooks for Friday.. She's planning to bring our 6 year old as im mental busy with work.
                                                                                                                        ​​​Anyone know if the Davin stand is covered?
                                                                                                                        Also, mental to go there with a kid? I figured garth brooks would be sedate enough
                                                                                                                        Not sure a 6 year old has the patience for 3 hours of their favourite music/show/movie. Let alone Garth Brooks with 80k screaming muck savages. Sounds like a terrible idea. Add in getting in and out too.

Comment

It’s going to be very loud, but apart from that..wouldn’t expect many problems. Make sure she has some form of id with her though. Children 5 and under aren’t permitted to enter
                                                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X