X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
    Donegal (+ Sligo/Mayo) >>>>>>>>Kerry (+ Clare) for golf AINEC

more top links, way better value + they don’t treat you like a piece of dirt if you aren’t a rich yank
    Rosapenna @195e for all 3 courses to be used within 10 days seems like a great deal.

The new St Patrick’s is already ranked 55th in world.

The issue for most is that it’s so isolated. Fantastic value if you happen to convince a significant other that holiday breaks as far from your home as possible are a good idea

Comment

I think Ireland is 2nd to none on golf course offerings

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Get to a chemist, those bites can get infected from scratching. Think its called Tiger Balm, green stuff in a small jar..excellent itch relief.
        Did the trick

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

EUROS!

(or euro if you speak Mellor)
          Quid is perfectly cromulent slang for euro currency.

Comment

Finished Better Call Saul. EPIC series .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
              SPOILER
              She couldent help herself, like a moth to the flame !
              This too shall pass.

Comment

Would love to see a spin off spin off that features Mike.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

BCS
                  SPOILER
                  A satisfying, but underwhelming (and I think underwhelming is unfair but I can't think of a better word) end to the one of the great TV series'.
                  I always liked Jimmy, saw his as a messer with a good heart, despite some of the behaviour in this series. Glad he went out the way he did.

Swingers
                  SPOILER
                  I'll do a TR at some point, can't bring myself to think about anything about the weekend yet, the Fear is strong.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Rosapenna @195e for all 3 courses to be used within 10 days seems like a great deal.

The issue for most is that it’s so isolated. Fantastic value if you happen to convince a significant other that holiday breaks as far from your home as possible are a good idea
                    What is the ranking for golf courses that would be considered the most definitive?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Quid is perfectly cromulent slang for euro currency.
                      I refuse to look that word up.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

What is the ranking for golf courses that would be considered the most definitive?
                        Globally I don’t know tbh.

There are two lists published in Ireland with Kevin Markham being involved in this one: https://irishgolfer.ie/top-100/2022/...eland-ranking/

I know he’s highly thought of so I’d just assume that is good. At the higher end there doesn’t appear to be big changes. Adare & St Patrick’s entering so highly in recent years would probably be quite unusual.

At the lower end it can vary quite a bit, my course & Switch’s course aren’t currently ranked in the Top 100 on that list but I’ve seen both feature in other lists.

I’d almost guarantee mine will be ranked in 2023 because it’s hosting the Senior Cup this year and will just make an appearance as it will be mentioned quite a bit.

Comment

Globally I don’t know tbh.

There are two lists published in Ireland with Kevin Markham being involved in this one: https://irishgolfer.ie/top-100/2022/...eland-ranking/

I know he’s highly thought of so I’d just assume that is good. At the higher end there doesn’t appear to be big changes. Adare & St Patrick’s entering so highly in recent years would probably be quite unusual.

At the lower end it can vary quite a bit, my course & Switch’s course aren’t currently ranked in the Top 100 on that list but I’ve seen both feature in other lists.

I’d almost guarantee mine will be ranked in 2023 because it’s hosting the Senior Cup this year and will just make an appearance as it will be mentioned quite a bit.
                          I see Tralee is at 8 just behind Ballybunion. The general consensus around here is that if you had the option to play both you should play Tralee twice, which I'm sure is hyperbole but the feeling is definitely that the name is the only thing BB has over it. I wouldn't know the difference. Tralee is a phenomenal track from the POV of natural beauty tbf.

I was a member as a youngster but left it go when my dad stopped paying the sub when I got to college. Membership is closed currently and the talk is that it might be 15k to get in when it reopens. I can get in for 5.5k currently (back paying the years I didn't pay before) going up by ~500 PA. I'll have to swallow it but it'll be a tough sell this year with a new house purchase and wedding all on the cards before the end of the year. I feel like if your neighbourhood has a world class amenity you better avail of it if you can. All my family play as well so it's bound to be in my future.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                            On the topic of golf courses, etc.. I am a member in Palmerstown but play Bunclody regularly. I think Bunclody is one of the best in the country and no track gets close to it in value for money terms. Open singles every Wednesday which I am just back in the door from. Put it on your list.
                            I couldn’t agree more, as Switch will tell you, I say the exact same all the time. I’ve played it 3 times now and I love it.
                            As you say, it’s the best value of any course in the south which has a regular open.

Carlow is 2nd for me at a similar price but those last few holes in Bunclody are phenomenal. They alone are worth the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I see Tralee is at 8 just behind Ballybunion. The general consensus around here is that if you had the option to play both you should play Tralee twice, which I'm sure is hyperbole but the feeling is definitely that the name is the only thing BB has over it. I wouldn't know the difference. Tralee is a phenomenal track from the POV of natural beauty tbf.

I was a member as a youngster but left it go when my dad stopped paying the sub when I got to college. Membership is closed currently and the talk is that it might be 15k to get in when it reopens. I can get in for 5.5k currently (back paying the years I didn't pay before) going up by ~500 PA. I'll have to swallow it but it'll be a tough sell this year with a new house purchase and wedding all on the cards before the end of the year. I feel like if your neighbourhood has a world class amenity you better avail of it if you can. All my family play as well so it's bound to be in my future.
                              I thought Tralee was much better than BallyB.
                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Ideas for where to get a nice airbnb for new years within an hour of dublin? Somewhere not the farthest from takeaways/shops. Looking for 24 of us or so.
                                Perhaps somewhere in Meath or Wicklow might suit?

Comment

was there early June and this offer is great value. We had a fabulous week of sun also. I look forward to summary coverage of the seniors on Old Tom Morris this weekend. thought both it and St Patricks were superb. Sandy Hills the weakest of the 3, but it's a high bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    I liked the ending.

SPOILER
                                    Redemption
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      Ideas for where to get a nice airbnb for new years within an hour of dublin? Somewhere not the farthest from takeaways/shops. Looking for 24 of us or so.
                                      Perhaps somewhere in Meath or Wicklow might suit?
                                      This place is perfect for that kind of thing... It 's owned and run by the people who run that unbearably hipster place in town so you'll probably know them
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

This place is perfect for that kind of thing... It 's owned and run by the people who run that unbearably hipster place in town so you'll probably know them
                                        What's the hipster place in town? Think you might be confusing the ownership.

Comment

I decided during lockdown that it was a great opportunity to go and play some of the links courses in Ireland that I hadn't yet whilst the Yanks were away.

Only a few missing on the top 50 of that list including Ballybunion and Tralee which I couldn't get in my Kerry trip last year and up at mystery guests neck of the woods (going next summer).

The one course that really jumped out to me that I've played a few times now in the last couple of years that isn't as heralded by the casual golfer is The Island. I think it's beautiful. A good mix of elegant and raw holes with the back 9 being all world.

Royal Dublin surprised me in how strong it was. Really felt like raw links the day I played this year in sunshine and a stiff wind. Got beaten up but loved it.

Every list is subjective. Especially people overrating their home course. Arguing people's opinions on what is better can get silly very quickly. Personally make sure I get out to The European Club once a year. Really feels like I'm disconnected from the rat race everytime I'm down there. It's unfair as shit but somewhere I always want to be.
                                          Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 17-08-22, 22:19.

Comment

Whenever I'm back paid up in Tralee if lads want to play without paying the €250 or whatever it is I'm pretty sure I can get guys out for €20 or something like that. Ye'll have to buy the first couple of beers obv.

Comment

Walking up 18 in The Island at sunset during the heatwave last week.

IMG-20220808-WA0007.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                What's the hipster place in town? Think you might be confusing the ownership.
                                                I'm probably confused but the place I'm thinking of was some sort of yoga studio / party venue somewhere like Brunswick St. closer to Stoneybatter than Smithfield, seems to be gone now.
                                                And that place in Knockanarrigan was originally named with the same brand.

Comment

Jaysus, lisbon is some city.
                                                  Even when they are ripping you off you feel undercharged
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I liked the ending.

SPOILER
                                                    Redemption
                                                    As was often the way in the golden age of screenwriting (Mr Smith goes to Washington is a great example) you have to discard the final reel to get the true intent of the writers who would try to undermine the plausibility of the tacked on Hollywood ending.

SPOILER

IMO
                                                    Redemption has to be hard earned, there was no indication at any point until the procedurally kludgy courtroom scene that Jimmy was was working out anything. Look at everything that happened across all the series right up to him conning the widow and you are deluding yourself if you think that Jimmy is ever doing a day more than the 7 years in NC (with the golf program !)
                                                    In a way the whole final series and especially the last few shows was all about delivering happy endings and tying up loose ends, top quality work to include all the minute details and keep it entertaining to the end.

It was all about the McGill Bros and the roles they got to play.

Hopefully Gilligan has more in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                      I decided during lockdown that it was a great opportunity to go and play some of the links courses in Ireland that I hadn't yet whilst the Yanks were away.

Only a few missing on the top 50 of that list including Ballybunion and Tralee which I couldn't get in my Kerry trip last year and up at mystery guests neck of the woods (going next summer).

The one course that really jumped out to me that I've played a few times now in the last couple of years that isn't as heralded by the casual golfer is The Island. I think it's beautiful. A good mix of elegant and raw holes with the back 9 being all world.

Royal Dublin surprised me in how strong it was. Really felt like raw links the day I played this year in sunshine and a stiff wind. Got beaten up but loved it.

Every list is subjective. Especially people overrating their home course. Arguing people's opinions on what is better can get silly very quickly. Personally make sure I get out to The European Club once a year. Really feels like I'm disconnected from the rat race everytime I'm down there. It's unfair as shit but somewhere I always want to be.
                                                      I hear you on that, and I really think Royal Dublin is underrated, but I can’t get behind The Island at all, it’s just so samesy, 4 par 4s to start off just doesn’t do it for me tbh. I could be wrong but I tend to underrate courses where I’m from rather than overrate them. I do think Ballyliffen is excellent, really enjoyed Ballybunion too but the first few holes are ordinary. Portmarnock I think is also pretty overrated in my view, its very good but just not spectacular enough to be considering the best in the country. Really want to play Tralee, Lahinch and Royal Portrush.

Comment

I'm probably confused but the place I'm thinking of was some sort of yoga studio / party venue somewhere like Brunswick St. closer to Stoneybatter than Smithfield, seems to be gone now.
                                                        The Elbowroom? It closed at the end of last month, unfortunately as it was my yoga studio. Wouldn't have thought I'd it as a party venue though.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I hear you on that, and I really think Royal Dublin is underrated, but I can’t get behind The Island at all, it’s just so samesy, 4 par 4s to start off just doesn’t do it for me tbh. I could be wrong but I tend to underrate courses where I’m from rather than overrate them. I do think Ballyliffen is excellent, really enjoyed Ballybunion too but the first few holes are ordinary. Portmarnock I think is also pretty overrated in my view, its very good but just not spectacular enough to be considering the best in the country. Really want to play Tralee, Lahinch and Royal Portrush.
                                                          A guy I worked with a few years ago is a member of Portmarnock and asked me did I have any interest in playing.
                                                          At the time I didn’t play golf and had no idea of Portmarnock whatsoever but happy to go along hacking it around.
                                                          Lovely day, great clubhouse and only realised quite a while afterwards when I mentioned it to people that I had a free round of golf & lunch.

I had a Portrush open comp booked but had to cancel due to Covid. Tralee is definitely up there for me, I enjoyed Dooks a few weeks ago too.
                                                          I’d love a trip around the North West though; some combination of Carne, Enniscrone, Sligo, Rosapenna, Narin & Portnoo & Ballyliffin.

Mt Juliet put down their open comps to 60e from September so playing an open comp there in 2 weeks. If the weather is good, their rate of 45e for hallowe’en week is quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

They've completely revamped the front 9 on The Island. I believe it started off with 8 par 4s in a row but that's changed since 2020. Never played it before then. Starts off 4,4,5,3 now. Also think 1 is in the conversation for best opening tee shot in the country!

Portmarnock didn't blow me away either but I thought it was excellent and the best conditioned course I've ever played. Have Adare in a couple of months which should top it but never seen anything like it. I understand when people talk about 'the more you play it the more you appreciate it'. I'd say playing it a few times would see it move close to the top of my own list.

Comment

Anyone ever play Cruit Island?

Comment

Golf Course wankery.

I suppose it was inevitable. Blaming elbows.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                  Jaysus, lisbon is some city.
                                                                  Even when they are ripping you off you feel undercharged
                                                                  I'd highly recommend a trip out to cascais it's beautiful!
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

And that place in Knockanarrigan was originally named with the same brand.
                                                                    That would be the Elbowroom alright and it is the same owners. I wouldn't have put it as unbearably hipster but not sure if that says more about me or you

Comment

One of us! One of Us!

Yogahub in Phibsboro is good Hotspur for a place nearby, well my girlfriend likes it anyway.
                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 18-08-22, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

I am a member in RD. We got a new geeenkeeper this year and he’s made a difference. We are doing a huge project on our bunkers over the winter so I’ll have to get you out to see the difference next year. I love the Island but haven’t played it in years (they have changed a few holes since I was last there) Only played the European club on poxy days and didn’t really enjoy it.
                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Comment

Links golf is an overrated crap shoot. Give me the likes of K-Club, Dromoland Castle or Mount Juliet any day over the best links courses.

Plenty of underrated Golf Clubs out there the don't feature on the yankee lists but still have loads of charm and some gem holes. Golf Ireland are great for hosting regional and nation comps on random courses thereby supporting local clubs.

Have to agree with RDIII on the Golf Course wankery.
                                                                            Last edited by Wombatman; 18-08-22, 12:24.
                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Question on meat - Probably one for oleras or Gimmeabreak

Is cold smoking meat a big thing and is there a particular set up/process to it?

I'd never heard of it as a thing before the weekend. A mate of mine gets really good burgers from a butcher and having been going to him a bit, he got chatting to him and the butcher told him he cold smokes the meat before mincing which gives it it's flavour.

Comment

I see Louis CK is doing two gigs on October 8/9 in the Limelight in Belfast, which holds 750 people. Tickets on sale tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Or Sintra for a day trip, it's a magical little city in the hills/clouds that is full of palaces. Can take in a couple of Atlantic Coast beaches too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                    Links golf is an overrated crap shoot. Give me the likes of K-Club, Dromoland Castle or Mount Juliet any day over the best links courses.
                                                                                    bad take- someone’s salty over a few bad bounces
                                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                      Anyone ever play Cruit Island?
                                                                                      No but have played the Gil Hanse revamped Portnoo - absolutely class course that doesn’t get a lot of hype (due to isolated location)

Carne the golfing highlight of year so far- unreal (and out of the way) - make sure you play all 27 - old front 9 has some great holes though not as dramatic as other 2
                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

When you are a hacker like myself a LINKS course can be really memorable for the scrnery. Yep thats what stays with me. Just love playing with a vista. Rosses Pount , Ballyliffen , European etc love em .

Comment

I don't even know what a links course is
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                            Comes between starter and main

toad-in-the-hole-sausage-recipes-1621241127.jpg

Comment

it's the opposite of a rechts course obv

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

My gf is from there. Been there twice now in last couple years. Some spot. Incredible beaches
                                                                                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

it's the opposite of a rechts course obv
                                                                                                  Ah, a pallette cleanser. Champagne and ice cream?
                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ah, a pallette cleanser. Champagne and ice cream?
                                                                                                    I always thought white spirits was the nut pallette cleanser but look at you artistic types.

Comment

Builder should be finished in a few days and then we get a hiatus until the retrofit is done. Starting to take shape though.

Once done, Mrs D3 is barred from watching house design programmes for life.

Comment

I always thought white spirits was the nut pallette cleanser but look at you artistic types.
                                                                                                        Calvados with a bit of apple sorbet Is the best trou normand.

Comment

Creme de Menthe or Lemoncello my go to.

Comment

The Bojo mini series looks like a terrible idea made well

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

These gobshites are beyond parody

Chris Grey highlighting one of the Brexshit successes Rees Mogg was trumpeting in the paper yesterday

Comment

Builder should be finished in a few days and then we get a hiatus until the retrofit is done. :
                                                                                                                Wait... you are doing the retrofit after the builders have been and gone

Will you be pumping walls and replacing windows in the retrofit?

Comment

Wait... you are doing the retrofit after the builders have been and gone

Will you be pumping walls and replacing windows in the retrofit?

Yes

Comment

To be clear, the builder didn't change the external footprint in any way. All his work was about reconfiguring the interior.
                                                                                                                    So no real overlap with retrofit.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Calvados with a bit of apple sorbet Is the best trou normand.
                                                                                                                      Was more picking him up on the distinction between pallette and palate. But you are correct.

Comment

To be clear, the builder didn't change the external footprint in any way. All his work was about reconfiguring the interior.
                                                                                                                        So no real overlap with retrofit.
                                                                                                                        Except it is going to be moving out for a week or two level disruption all over again.

Comment

Except it is going to be moving out for a week or two level disruption all over again.
                                                                                                                          Incorrect.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X