This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Wasn't actually what I was thinking of but it's a valid point (once I thought about it).

When did 'T' become commonly appended to LGB?
    Seems it was the late 90s/early 00s. The B was only added in the early 90's, and I do vaguely remember some of the debates around that here.

Liked this short article https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-g-b-t/623604/
    Last edited by ComradeCollie; 12-08-22, 13:50.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Taking on pretty large client once I'm done with current role.
      What I'm finding out is super large well funded ventures seem to have just as many, if not more issues with day to day user authentication and team assignment.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Some of the people who are the most pro-trans are extremely bigoted themselves. Prejudice is everywhere, it's part of being human - nobody is without it.
        Of course. Across many issues on the social/political spectrum there are extreme views on either end. Godwin-esque example being far right nazism verses far-left Stalinism. I think I was clearly negative towards both the far-right and fat-left. These hyper-aggressive campaigners on either side are everything that is wrong with social media. Militant cancel culture is toxic.

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
        I'd consider most of the loudest trans activism to be inherently homophobic. Oh, your not a lesbian, you're a man trapped inside a woman's body. You're not a gay man, you just have the 'wrong' body. Really annoys me that it's been tagged on to the LGB groups of past. Last pride event I was at was in 1993, so I know I'm well out of the loop.
        That sort of activism is absolute nonsense obviously. Aggressively telling somebody what they “really are” like that is pretty ironic.
        As I said above, I can’t imagine a gay man confusing his sexuality with identifying as woman. Kinda bizarre that people on both “sides” would try to merge the two issues, albeit in opposite ways.

Comment

Day 16 after landing in Dublin. And I finally have my suitcase. At this stage there’s no point in unpacking.

Comment

Doing some investigating on upgrading the energy efficiency of my house. Currently a good B3 but looking at upgrading to an A2.

A couple of interesting things so far

Getting solar PV panels in my circumstance is a financial No brainer. Likely to spend ~16k for a 8-10kW system with a modest battery (net of grant) and save 2-2.5k per annum on electricity bill with a feed in tariff. So pay back in 6-8 years and an IRR of 12-16% over the reasonable future working lifetime. Having an EV and PHEV vehicles and more WFH will also help in this regard as they can be used to provide secondary storage and a use for excess production.

Not all good news however as the heat pump and heat recovery system and AC setup (for days like today) is much less of a financial sure thing. Need to get a proper detailed quote (have a guesstimate quote of 60k net at present including more insulation) with my likely kerosene and fuel saving of the order of 3k p.a. making it less of a financial slam dunk.

Now this is where having a pretty decent rating already on the house counts against it a little BUT I also need to do the sums stripping off things which will need to be replaced in the next few years anyway like the oil burner.

I don’t see much evidence of folk getting a valuation bump on their home for having upgraded the energy rating. I think it might be one of those things in 5-10 years time if you don’t have it you get penalised in terms of price rather than it coming through in an immediate bump in valuation.

If you don’t have or get a decent energy rating on your house and spend a lot on cosmetic stuff I think you’re really kidding yourself from a long term valuation perspective as the future buyer will be assuming a complete overhaul.

Be good to hear if anyone has gone through the whole process and what kind of savings you’re seeing and any suggestions/tips.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
              Doing some investigating on upgrading the energy efficiency of my house. Currently a good B3 but looking at upgrading to an A2.

A couple of interesting things so far

Getting solar PV panels in my circumstance is a financial No brainer. Likely to spend ~16k for a 8-10kW system with a modest battery (net of grant) and save 2-2.5k per annum on electricity bill with a feed in tariff. So pay back in 6-8 years and an IRR of 12-16% over the reasonable future working lifetime. Having an EV and PHEV vehicles and more WFH will also help in this regard as they can be used to provide secondary storage and a use for excess production.

Not all good news however as the heat pump and heat recovery system and AC setup (for days like today) is much less of a financial sure thing. Need to get a proper detailed quote (have a guesstimate quote of 60k net at present including more insulation) with my likely kerosene and fuel saving of the order of 3k p.a. making it less of a financial slam dunk.

Now this is where having a pretty decent rating already on the house counts against it a little BUT I also need to do the sums stripping off things which will need to be replaced in the next few years anyway like the oil burner.

I don’t see much evidence of folk getting a valuation bump on their home for having upgraded the energy rating. I think it might be one of those things in 5-10 years time if you don’t have it you get penalised in terms of price rather than it coming through in an immediate bump in valuation.

If you don’t have or get a decent energy rating on your house and spend a lot on cosmetic stuff I think you’re really kidding yourself from a long term valuation perspective as the future buyer will be assuming a complete overhaul.

Be good to hear if anyone has gone through the whole process and what kind of savings you’re seeing and any suggestions/tips.

We're going from E2 to (hopefully) A3 so a different ball game. How many days a year do you think you'll need AC, realistically? I've got the window open here and it's grand...

New kitchen finishes today btw, looking good. Almost afraid to touch anything.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                Taking on pretty large client once I'm done with current role.
                What I'm finding out is super large well funded ventures seem to have just as many, if not more issues with day to day user authentication and team assignment.
                welcome to my world

Comment

We're going from E2 to (hopefully) A3 so a different ball game. How many days a year do you think you'll need AC, realistically? I've got the window open here and it's grand...

Tbh I like a slightly cool house which means I tend not to have the place too hot in winter but really would enjoy the benefits of AC about 3 months of the year if the last few years are anything to go by!

The upstairs in particular would be 24 degrees plus most days in June/July/August and we intend to move the kids to the upstairs bedrooms in a few years time. The fact is the cost of running the AC will be negligible with the solar at that time of year but all the Velux windows and insulation makes the upstairs very warm in the evenings. I’m very keen to get it done but I need to get the accurate cost estimate to really make the final decision.
                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Congrats on the kitchen btw! I assume you’ll celebrate with an outdoor BBQ this evening

Comment

FYI Lazare - pension comments below which may “trigger” you…

I found all that pension chat from Hitch hilarious. All the chat and career planning over the last number of years to get professorship status (and well done again on pulling it off) and he still didn’t have a clue how much pension he’d get and what it would be worth (a large part of the overall compensation which he always acknowledged).

And now he’s criticising folk for leaving the PS and not understanding the value of the pension benefit their leaving behind. Talk about your classic Hitch-pocrsy. Never change Hitch, never change.

Comment

My friend is going from B to A atm and was quoted about 100k, he did say he can bring that down a lot as he had some done already like the windows, but he noticed things like 6k for windows dumping in the quote, lol. I'll check in with him in a while and see if he has any wisdom. When I move in I'm going to get solar and move from A3 to A2, I'm near A2 anyway, not sure what it takes to go to A1.
                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-08-22, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                          My friend is going from B to A atm and was quoted about 100k, he did say he can bring that down a lot as he had some done already like the windows, but he noticed things like 6k for windows dumping in the quote, lol. I'll check in with him in a while and see if he has any wisdom. When I move in I'm going to get solar and move from A3 to A2, I'm near A2 anyway, not sure what it takes to go to A1.
                          I’d guess a true A1 would required a low energy house design from the start. Including solar and glazing orientation, heat recovery, air tightness maximised during construction, etc.

I suspect a lot of BER’s are only really on-paper values, so perhaps a pseudo-A1 could be fudged somehow.

Would be interested in how closely people’s energy bills align to their ratings. Very easy to check, also very useful to a potential future buyer as a sort if BER validation.

Comment

Congrats on the kitchen btw! I assume you’ll celebrate with an outdoor BBQ this evening
                            I will celebrate by bringing the old fridge and some other crap to the recycling centre. Never let it be said I don't know how to par-tay.

Maybe a cold bottle of Norman cidre in the garden after.

All the kitchen crap is all out in the shed anyway so it'll be takeaway tonight and then MrsD\kids\dog head to Donegal for a week tomorrow so I'll be home alone, with lots of repainting to do over the rewired walls. Saving myself 10k+ by doing my own painting, which is actually a job I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I’d guess a true A1 would required a low energy house design from the start. Including solar and glazing orientation, heat recovery, air tightness maximised during construction, etc.

I suspect a lot of BER’s are only really on-paper values, so perhaps a pseudo-A1 could be fudged somehow.

Would be interested in how closely people’s energy bills align to their ratings. Very easy to check, also very useful to a potential future buyer as a sort if BER validation.
                              I think you're 100% right but having the model is useful.

I've aleady done some upgrades (zonal heating controls and new windows/doors in the kitchen/dining area) and my rating went from a low B3 to almost a B2 and we can really notice the difference in terms of heating and cost savngs. Getting to an A1 or A2 with a 18 year old house may be fake in reality but energy cost savings and a more comfortable home will be the real test. If I have to use a bit more electricity on the heat pump then a true A1 designed and built home it's not too much of a cost.

Comment

I will celebrate by bringing the old fridge and some other crap to the recycling centre. Never let it be said I don't know how to par-tay.

Maybe a cold bottle of Norman cidre in the garden after.

All the kitchen crap is all out in the shed anyway so it'll be takeaway tonight and then MrsD\kids\dog head to Donegal for a week tomorrow so I'll be home alone, with lots of repainting to do over the rewired walls. Saving myself 10k+ by doing my own painting, which is actually a job I like.
                                I like paintng a defined room or two or a small outdoor project but tackling the big jobs like you do just ain't my idea of fun. Now planting my wildflower bank and seeing the results was a major middle age, middle class kick this year - lol!

Comment

Have anyone read this out of curiosity? Considering buying…

Comment

I'm looking at going down the SEAI retrofit path from something like c3 to hopefully A2 so that I can move from oil to Heat pump.

Tricky part that has yet to be confirmed is how to insulate the dormer part. Will definitely want some form of AC upstairs for the warm nights if it was better insulated but we could do with that these nights as it is.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

How do you determine how aligned the rating is to the bill?

I suspect mine is exactly where it should be, circa 1,300e all in over the last 12 months but is there an equation for it that you can use for any home for any rating?

Comment

FZ_PSs2WAAAvuaV?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

I've come to the conclusion it's too hot to do any of that work. To the deckchair!

Comment

Bayou Belle runs in the apprentice race at 17:15 in the curragh today.
                                            It's a small step up in grade for her from her last few runs, but we hope she can be competitive.
                                            She got a poor draw but the jockey is one of the best in the race and with a bit of luck he can use it to advantage.
                                            The race is a memorial to an old friend of mine Derek O'Sullivan who set up RACE in the 80's so it would be especially nice to win that.
                                            Wouldn't be going mad punting on her but will take a small bit of 9/1 ew with added places.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion it's too hot to do any of that work. To the deckchair!
                                              Went to bull island for a swim.... Water is glorious.
                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-09-22, 21:07.
                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Might be the sun, but it's still very heartwarming to hear Nkosi Sikelel'iAfrika before a SA rugby match being sung by all races. And SA with a widely admired black captain.

Nobody would have thought this possible for much of the last century.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                    Have anyone read this out of curiosity? Considering buying…
                                                    https://www.amazon.com/Bond-King-Mar.../dp/1250120845
                                                    It's great story, well worth a read, full of ego and hubris. I also think learning the story of Pimco is very important to make sense of the financial world.

Comment

Great game for the neutrals this.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                        Great game for the neutrals this.
                                                        Getting better too. Some great tries.

Comment

lol united

Edit: lol
                                                          Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 13-08-22, 17:07.
                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Getting better too. Some great tries.
                                                            Genuinely no idea which way it would go. Well played ABs, that was a tough game to win

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                              lol united

Edit: lol
                                                              Commentator says 'no-one could have foreseen this.'

Obviously hasn't been paying attention.

Comment

Genuinely no idea which way it would go. Well played ABs, that was a tough game to win
                                                                The No. 13s on both sides are beasts. Some amazing open play by both.

Comment

That BMX final was something else.... Mad respect!
                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    Ended up today eating phenomenally spicy (omgg, a next level of sichuan spice) bullfrog in Chinatown. Its quite the oral experience to pop them in, bite into this little spicy frogleg that releases mad flavours, using your tongue to flick out the meat, then reaching up to pull out this tiny, now meatfreee poor little frogs leg from your mouth. Done. On to the next leg. We've a plate full of legs to get through and there's no space for legless slackers.
                                                                    Am I the only one who read 'spicy bullfrog' as some kind of modern euphemism for something filthy

Comment

All Blacks should have been going in up nearly 30pts at half time. Terrible kick by the centre gifts a lineout on the 22 to SA and a pathetic tackle by the big wing and it’s try SA and then a monster penalty.

The ABs had fucked up at least two gilt edged chances to score tries earlier in the half.

To have done that and then have a genuine SA purple patch and to go a man down and then to find the composure and determination to win says a lot about them. I think they’ll kick on from here big time. Aussies and Argies won’t trouble them and Foster will hang on and have a mandate to be ruthless. I think they got the forwards coach they needed just in time.

Comment

Am I the only one who read 'spicy bullfrog' as some kind of modern euphemism for something filthy
                                                                        It wasn't the most dangerous term in that post by far.

Comment

All Blacks should have been going in up nearly 30pts at half time. Terrible kick by the centre gifts a lineout on the 22 to SA and a pathetic tackle by the big wing and it’s try SA and then a monster penalty.

The ABs had fucked up at least two gilt edged chances to score tries earlier in the half.

To have done that and then have a genuine SA purple patch and to go a man down and then to find the composure and determination to win says a lot about them. I think they’ll kick on from here big time. Aussies and Argies won’t trouble them and Foster will hang on and have a mandate to be ruthless. I think they got the forwards coach they needed just in time.
                                                                          It was an enjoyable game - and it highlighted how to beat SA.

Although, that score in Argentina.
                                                                          Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 13-08-22, 20:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

How do you determine how aligned the rating is to the bill?

I suspect mine is exactly where it should be, circa 1,300e all in over the last 12 months but is there an equation for it that you can use for any home for any rating?
                                                                            The heating/electric bills should have info of energy units. Usually in KWh for electricity and gas. Oil may need to be converted to KWh.

The BER cert will state estimated KWh per m2 per year.
                                                                            Might have to take some averages for appliances. Not sure how BER cert handles those

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Another dish we had was pork knuckles. This fat filled, meat free, collection of bones. You put the knuckles in your mouth and suck. Then this hot fat guzzles down your throat, filled with all those fragrant spices. It felt slightly ortolan in eating style. Have we been eating all wrong, all these years. Fucking spice burgers and ham and cheese sandwiches.
                                                                              Dunno, kinda feels like future students of anthropology might look at this and think 'wtf, they were eating pig knuckles, like w t f '

Then again, I kinda think that now.
                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Landed in Utrecht. The purpose of the trip. Four days to read The Power of Why and 100 Years of Soltitude and work out what's going on in my life. Hope you are all well.
                                                                                Why? Did you slap someone at an awards ceremony!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Dunno, kinda feels like future students of anthropology might look at this and think 'wtf, they were eating pig knuckles, like w t f '

Then again, I kinda think that now.
                                                                                  If you are going to eat an animal why waste any parts?

Comment

The best advice I ever heard anyone give to someone in a similar situation is to think about the contexts of when you use the term 'we' and work out which one is truly most important.
                                                                                    And then you have your answer.

Comment

The heating/electric bills should have info of energy units. Usually in KWh for electricity and gas. Oil may need to be converted to KWh.

The BER cert will state estimated KWh per m2 per year.
                                                                                      Might have to take some averages for appliances. Not sure how BER cert handles those
                                                                                      Are the days of a fireblock between 2 semi detatched houses gone ? Brother bought a house and id swear there was OSB between the 2 houses in the attic, I assume then its a timber frame build as all the external walls are plasterboard.
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Are the days of a fireblock between 2 semi detatched houses gone ? Brother bought a house and id swear there was OSB between the 2 houses in the attic, I assume then its a timber frame build as all the external walls are plasterboard.
                                                                                        Has to be firerated. Typically that’s solid concrete block. But can be done in timber frame too. But needs 2 layers of plaster board each side. Right to underside of roof. OSB would be a bit of a worry. For fire and acoustic reasons

Comment

Has to be firerated. Typically that’s solid concrete block. But can be done in timber frame too. But needs 2 layers of plaster board each side. Right to underside of roof. OSB would be a bit of a worry. For fire and acoustic reasons
                                                                                          Deffo not slabbed up there, can see the stud on his side.

He did get an engineer report, all he snagged was a tidy up of the insulation in the attic. I also thought the attic should have a walkway to the water storage, maybe thats just a best practice rather than a reg?
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Ill see can he take a pic later.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Off topic, but I've been finishing off Low Life, which you recommended. It's some read. He really captures the misery and yet the way he still wants to cling to things.
                                                                                              Think he's a she now.

Comment

Phew. Swingers party tonight. Just home. That was legit one of the most surreal experiences of my life.

Need to process all that I think.

Tee time in 90 mins. Match play event. Hope my opponent is giving 5ft gimmes today.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Finally a burger joint for the likes of me. Coming to Helsinki soon

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Next door neighbour seems to be interviewing people for a room in his apartment.

I hadn't realised that it's only twenty-something women that are looking for accommodation in Dublin right now. ​
                                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 14-08-22, 13:12.

Comment

Mindful painting?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                        Phew. Swingers party tonight. Just home. That was legit one of the most surreal experiences of my life.

Tee time in 90 mins. Match play event. Hope my opponent is giving 5ft gimmes today.
                                                                                                        Trip report please…perhaps in cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

You can tell us all about the rim jobs after your round.
                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Think he's a she now.
                                                                                                            He's a dead he.

4 wives afair.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Mindful painting?
                                                                                                              When nobody else is in the house, it's probably the closest I get!

Comment

Off topic, but I've been finishing off Low Life, which you recommended. It's some read. He really captures the misery and yet the way he still wants to cling to things.
                                                                                                                It's the perfect mixture of very funny and deeply sad.

Comment

He's a dead he.

4 wives afair.
                                                                                                                  Ah, I just searched for Low Life and this came up https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...m9negfC&rank=1 What book are you talking about?

Edit: see it's Jeffrey Bernard
                                                                                                                  Last edited by ComradeCollie; 14-08-22, 13:39.

Comment

I'm not sure it's all that big a thing (my thing, not Theresa's thing - that's huge), unless you make it so. It's essentially just a new friendship. Someone to do new things with.

Swinging sounds exhausting. Was watching porn for the last two weeks to figure out some exciting moves, and that's just one person. Imagine being done and then having to move on to the next person.
                                                                                                                    The trick is not " getting done"...or so i have heard.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

I'm not sure it's all that big a thing (my thing, not Theresa's thing - that's huge), unless you make it so. It's essentially just a new friendship. Someone to do new things with.
                                                                                                                      Sounds like you have rationalised it all quite nicely for yourself.

Comment

Hitch do you have an arrangement with the missus that opens up that craic? Obv you don't have to answer and I'm not being judgmental or anything. I just can't think of anything more stressful.
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                          Hitch do you have an arrangement with the missus that opens up that craic? Obv you don't have to answer and I'm not being judgmental or anything. I just can't think of anything more stressful.
                                                                                                                          Assuming he doesn't (), to successfully perpetuate these 'arrangements' would require a talent for both secrecy and deception that has not been evident to date!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X