Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This clip on Wills and Probate from yesterday was good. Your wan was brilliant. Great communicator who understood her brief. So many aspects to this area of law. Most people are probably not making the optimum choices when it come to end of life property transfer. Good clip to get a feel for the complexity of it and that there are plenty of options out there.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I'm on a roll now. A little factoid from this morning. There is no evidence that some office chairs are better for your back than others. If you want to save your back get off the chair and stretch periodically. Mid-morning and mid-afternoon at least. No evidence that long periods standing at office desk are better than long periods of sitting, although swapping around between standing and sitting better than doing just one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
        Mortgage Switching clip on Radio 1 this morning.

Do you know if this applied to switching mortgages within a bank, ie. AIB variable to AIB green fixed rate?
        I don't even know would there be fees?
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Would the time/distance from Kerry to Cork airport be similar to Waterford -> Dublin/Cork airports?

Feel I'm missing out on cheeky weekend trips to mainland Europe via a very local airport, but it would be a great little nixer for buying motorbikes on the continent and bringing them back, as Brexit has created a new market zone.
          From my house in Tralee at the moment is just under two hours to ORK. I stuck Dunmore East into google maps as it's the only address that comes to mind (Kiki Flanflan) and that's just over two hours so yeah about the same. I haven't really done much airline travelling since moving to Kerry between Covid and having the small fella. For an airport with very few routes KIR is decent as you can get to Frankfurt, Alicante or Faro as well as UK. Cork is on a different scale with destinations of course.

I'm flying out of Cork at the start of Oct to Spain (Dave T getting married) so will be interested to see how painless that whole experience is. When that Macroom/Ballyvourney bypass is finished it will take maybe 20+ minutes off of the journey, and the worst portion of it at that, so will make it easier again.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Do you know if this applied to switching mortgages within a bank, ie. AIB variable to AIB green fixed rate?
            I don't even know would there be fees?
            The fees that are usually talked about are breakage fees for you basically reneging on your agreement to fix for X years. The basis for this is the money the bank would lose compared to if you fulfilled your original agreement, so it's based on a prescribed calculation. I don't see any reason there would be fees for switching from a variable rate to any other product?

Edit: solicitor's fees etc will apply obv
            Last edited by Keane; 11-08-22, 12:36.

Comment

Too hot to be boiling spuds lads.......

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

The fees that are usually talked about are breakage fees for you basically reneging on your agreement to fix for X years. The basis for this is the money the bank would lose compared to if you fulfilled your original agreement, so it's based on a prescribed calculation. I don't see any reason there would be fees for switching from a variable rate to any other product?

Is the breakage fee not impacted by the ability to “resell” the mortgage rate?

For example if you lock 2.5% fixed for 5 years and break that when the bank’s current equivalent is 2.25% then that is more costly than if you break had bank’s new equivalent been 2.75%?

Bank loses more in the former than in the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                  Was looking at stuff lately and seemingly....a big UFO announcement coming in the next week....I want to Believe !!
                  so needlessly vague

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Not too hot for a mug of scald though!

everything else isn't stained by the beets....how is that possible?
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1723504&d=1660222330&type=thumb
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Any naps for Leopardstown tonight?

Comment

Never really pegged you for wanton cruelty Solks.
                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I'm kinda looking forward to being the embarassing uncle.

I really don't see this as some new frontier in civil rights and on a par with ending slavery, womens lib, anti-apartheid gay marriage, abortion etc.

For the most part, it's fringe nonsense foisted on gullible and vulnerable people. Via the nonsense echo chambers of internet fuckwittery and amplified by virtue signalling twerps.

Cancel me mofos.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

It's like the pendulum has swing too far.

If you're not totally on board with everything you're a pariah.

At ATN two different artists went on at length during their shows about how they were close to refusing to play because they didn't agree with two people who had been invited to talk at the event.

​​​​​​Just shut up and play the hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

For the most part, it's fringe nonsense foisted on gullible and vulnerable people. Via the nonsense echo chambers of internet fuckwittery and amplified by virtue signalling twerps.
                                Would argue that the "virtue signalling twerps" aren't the gullible ones here.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not some new frontier in civil rights because it's not really an issue in the sense that there's a tiny powerless minority of people who aren't conforming to traditional/acceptable behaviors.

Trans people have been using bathrooms, engaging in sport for years without any* incidents.

The narrative is shifting because they've become more visible, the same way gay people did in the 70's and 80s because they're less afraid of the repercussions of doing so. What's going on now is a carbon copy of 80's homophobic moral panic "do you want trans people near your children?!?!?!" is the same technique that has been employed against minorities/fringe groups since time began. You 'other' the person as being some sort of deviant who's out to hurt others, or steal their rights (dey took our jobs!!) when the reality is they just want to take a piss and not be harassed and not harass anyone else.

Conservatives have lost significant ground with the liberalizing of gay rights and having a hot topic is essential, and transgender people are an easy target because they're fringe enough that "decent" people can take a dig at them without any blowback while allowing the door to be reopened to start normalising the same tactics against others (painting drag queens as 'groomers')

Comment

Enjoyed GAB going after Gaz from Michaels.

I understand the frustration though. There are only so many times i can read the words 'cheeky' and 'spanking' when it comes to food on twitter. The fact he still has to keep spouting shite like that to fill tables with another place opening has to be concerning. I hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew.
                                  Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 11-08-22, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Is the breakage fee not impacted by the ability to “resell” the mortgage rate?

For example if you lock 2.5% fixed for 5 years and break that when the bank’s current equivalent is 2.25% then that is more costly than if you break had bank’s new equivalent been 2.75%?

Bank loses more in the former than in the latter.
                                    Yeah I mean if you have a tracker and want to break out of that for instance they're obviously not going to try and charge you to do so! Maybe something in my post was worded badly but what you're saying is correct I think

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                      Never really pegged you for wanton cruelty Solks.
                                      Wantons deffo not my thing , like the prawn crackers .

I'm rebelling . Saw some overly woke ejit giving someone a sermon recently to the point of bullying ironically enough. . The wanton cruelity side of me was gagging to intervene

We are regressing imo. Still cant believe we gave a certain gender the vote.

Comment

A proper early 80s salad....no pine nuts or cubes of feta cheese drizzled with olive oil bolloxilogy!!

Carry on.

Comment

Yeah I mean if you have a tracker and want to break out of that for instance they're obviously not going to try and charge you to do so! Maybe something in my post was worded badly but what you're saying is correct I think
                                          No no not at all, made total sense, it was more a question if my reading of it was correct.

Killer on my mortgage is that we have a stupidly high MPI of 0.55% which is compulsory.
                                          It effectively means the total cost is higher but it will decrease over time.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

so needlessly vague
                                            You never know who is listening.
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

I really don't see this as some new frontier in civil rights and on a par with ending slavery, womens lib, anti-apartheid gay marriage, abortion etc.

Cancel me mofos.
                                              I don't quite follow you. Are you suggesting that transpeople are a product of people on the internet talking nonsense?

George Moore was writing about transgender people 100 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Would argue that the "virtue signalling twerps" aren't the gullible ones here.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not some new frontier in civil rights because it's not really an issue in the sense that there's a tiny powerless minority of people who aren't conforming to traditional/acceptable behaviors.

Trans people have been using bathrooms, engaging in sport for years without any* incidents.

The narrative is shifting because they've become more visible, the same way gay people did in the 70's and 80s because they're less afraid of the repercussions of doing so. What's going on now is a carbon copy of 80's homophobic moral panic "do you want trans people near your children?!?!?!" is the same technique that has been employed against minorities/fringe groups since time began. You 'other' the person as being some sort of deviant who's out to hurt others, or steal their rights (dey took our jobs!!) when the reality is they just want to take a piss and not be harassed and not harass anyone else.

Conservatives have lost significant ground with the liberalizing of gay rights and having a hot topic is essential, and transgender people are an easy target because they're fringe enough that "decent" people can take a dig at them without any blowback while allowing the door to be reopened to start normalising the same tactics against others (painting drag queens as 'groomers')
                                                In terms of 'important stuff you should give a shit about' vs 'volume of online commentary and wild emoting over', transgender issues stand out as being blown out of all proportion.

Vs actual issues like climate change or Ukraine, for example.

Priorities are misaligned.

Comment

In terms of 'important stuff you should give a shit about' vs 'volume of online commentary and wild emoting over', transgender issues stand out as being blown out of all proportion.

I fully agree with you but likely from the other end of the spectrum, transgender people have effectively zero voice in the media, the noise surrounding the issue comes from one direction and it's pretty stark who's on that side and what the goal it, it's specifically to deflect important issues

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                    Any naps for Leopardstown tonight?
                                                    Inchiquin star in the 6.50 might give u a good run for a fiver bet

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

I don't quite follow you. Are you suggesting that transpeople are a product of people on the internet talking nonsense?

George Moore was writing about transgender people 100 years ago...
                                                      I'm assuming the direction he is coming from is basically just saying that the discussion and noise about this (which is pretty much all from the right) is disproportionate for the amount of people it affects, probably much fewer than 1% of the population, and that the IRFU or others sports saying that people born as men can't compete as women shouldn't be big headline news.

There does seem to be an element of "let them do what they want but do it quietly and away from me" about it too though, but I'd imagine most of it is the former. I could be wrong though.

I also didn't know the gender assigned at birth acronyms, but I did get the gist of it obviously.

Comment

Cancel me mofos.
                                                        I’m probably stating the obvious. But a random bigot who is against gay rights is most likely ok with women’s rights, black rights, against slavery etc.

The longer certain views are socially acceptable, the longer bigotry operates in the open. An embarrassing number of people where against the gay marriage bill. But those views tend to be quite silent or thee than fringe lunatics.

I completely agree that it gets far too many column inches. It’s completely overblown relative to the group of those affected. Mainly due to the far-right aggressive target these people and the far left aggressively campaigning. The sport issue is being piggybacked for other motives.

But being overblown in the media does not means the civil rights issue, however small, does not exists. Nor does it make it ok to sneer at the idea imo. It’s not clear what your view is. I assumed you are not full blown embarrassing uncle.
                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 11-08-22, 18:05.

Comment

Have to say I am really enjoying The Sandman on Netflix.
                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                            I assumed you are not full blown embarrassing uncle.
                                                            Man's gotta have a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                              David Thewlis is just an extremely watchable actor.

Comment

No solicitor needed when staying with the same lender.

Comment

What to be a pedantic Pat this week?

Criteria for Irish heatwave: 25 degrees or over in some parts of the country for 5 days straight.

Comment

The brother took this pic tonight . Nass

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Awesome ^^^

Comment

One of my tyres was a bit low in air so headed around to the local garage to sort it out. I've been there loads over the last few years. They only take one or two euro coins for air/use of the hoover. I'd neither coins so pulled together the euro equivalent in smaller denomination coins with a view of swapping it for a euro at the shop counter.

Me : Can I have a euro coin in exchange for this to use the air machine please.

Cashier : Sorry, we can only open the till if there is a purchase, it's all automated.

Me : Oh, well, I buy a bar of chocolate

Cashier : How are you paying for that?

Me : Card?

Cashier: Sorry, the till only opens for cash purchases.

Me : Oh, routes through wallet and finds a fiver (I very rarely have cash on me anymore) and pay for the bar and get change back including a euro coin.

Cashier : Do you want to change that for a euro coin?

Me : No need now as I've a coin in the change but thanks.

I head over to the air machine and see a sign stuck to it.

'Coin Payment Out Of Use. Card Only'

And to the right is a new shiny card reader stuck to the machine....

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                          Its fantastic. Very true to the source materials too.

​​On her wings/ Men of Good Fortune episode is fucking great tv

Comment

An interesting announcement and potential future sports trivia question.

Former NBA player Bill Russell died in the last few days. He won the most titles ever and has been prominent voice in social matters since the Civil Rights movement.

He wore No 6 throughout his career and in his memory the number will now be the first number ever to be retired league wide.

Only 2 other numbers have been retired across their respective leagues in all the other major US sports(MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) if anyone wants to have a stab at them.

SPOILER
                                                                            Jackie Robinson No42 MLB & Wayne Gretzky No99 NHL

Comment

Was attempting an online comeback on stars.
                                                                              Have never had so many suck outs......ever.

I've got it in behind a few times obviously but JHC never seen it this bad........except for Bernard in the Fitx obviously but at least he had thr decency to lose occasionally.

Faaaaack it

Comment

Former NBA player Bill Russell died in the last few days. He won the most titles ever and has been prominent voice in social matters since the Civil Rights movement.

He wore No 6 throughout his career and in his memory the number will now be the first number ever to be retired league wide.

Only 2 other numbers have been retired across their respective leagues in all the other major US sports(MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) if anyone wants to have a stab at them.

SPOILER
                                                                                I would have guessed
                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                Jordan
                                                                                but maybe 'being dead' is part of the criteria.

Comment

I would have guessed
                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                  Jordan
                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                  One is still alive & quite young. Jordan is definitely the one that immediately comes to mind but even if offered it, I wonder would he say no given it’s so closely aligned to his brand now.

Comment

I would have guessed
                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                    Jordan
                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                    Jackie Robinson's number was retired league wide in part as a nod to a famous conversation he once had with a team mate - "Pee Wee" Reese. Reese is said to have told Robinson "maybe one day we'll all wear 42. That way they won't be able to tell us apart". Major League baseball retired his jersey across the league and, every year, they celebrate "Jackie Robinson Day" on 15 April to commemorate Robinson's debut in the majors. On that day every player, for every team, wears the number 42.

Comment

Anyone in the centre of Dublin in the late afternoon today, I'd humbly suggest sitting for 10 minutes at the Dominick St Luas stop.
                                                                                      The flats are in the process of being closed down so the people left are generally those who are difficult to rehouse.

In my 5 minutes waiting for a Luas yesterday about 5.30pm I saw
                                                                                      (all with competing ghetto blasters on the first floor to give it a nice Morricone-esque musical score)
                                                                                      gangs of kids practising their MMA/Conor McGregor on each other.
                                                                                      older people absolutely sprawled out in unidentified liquids in the baking sun, cursing at the world every few minutes.
                                                                                      a brawl between two women over a fella who was fast asleep with vomit on what remained of his t-shirt.
                                                                                      An 80 year old woman being pushed in a wheelchair whilst swigging from a bottle of vodka.
                                                                                      everything from joints to bongs and someone with a crack-pipe at their front door.

I'm sure it's something you'd see in every city in the world, but not necessarily 200 metres from the 'main thoroughfare'.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                        Went to reply and seen the answer in the quoted spoiler.
                                                                                        I was going to say Babe Ruth.

Magic Johnson also came to mind, but couldn’t be a basketball player based on the question.
                                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 12-08-22, 10:11.

Comment

Went to reply and seen the answer in the quoted spoiler.
                                                                                          I was going to say Babe Ruth…
                                                                                          Wasn't he generally thought of as being a bit of a bollix? Legendary player yes.

Comment

Surprised NFL hasn't had a retired number (like Tom Brady might be one if\when he finishes) but don't know enough about and don't like watching the game.

Oddly enough, it's a sport that has some great writing about it. I recently read Across the River, which is a great read about a high school team from a very deprived part of New Orleans and also It's Better to be Feared, which is about the Belichick\Brady combo at Boston. Both really excellent pieces of sports literature although if you had to pick one, definitely go for the former.

Comment

But being overblown in the media does not means the civil rights issue, however small, does not exists. Nor does it make it ok to sneer at the idea imo. It’s not clear what your view is. I assumed you are not full blown embarrassing uncle.
                                                                                              My view is that it's doing a lot of harm to vulnerable people. And I particularly have a problem with teenagers, who are hormonally supercharged and not fully developed emotionally or logically, being encouraged to believe that they are somehow trapped in the wrong gender. The shit that has gone down in places like the Tavistock Clinic is outrageous in my view and doctors encouraging\enabling it should be struck off.
                                                                                              Most of these kids are just normal teenage-confused in my eyes, with some of them just being plain old gay. They are not trans and should not be encouraged or allowed to make irreversible decisions. The people encouraging them to do so are bad actors. The people defending it are misguided.

That's my view. If you don't like it, I have others.

Comment

My view is that it's doing a lot of harm to vulnerable people. And I particularly have a problem with teenagers, who are hormonally supercharged and not fully developed emotionally or logically, being encouraged to believe that they are somehow trapped in the wrong gender. The shit that has gone down in places like the Tavistock Clinic is outrageous in my view and doctors encouraging\enabling it should be struck off.
                                                                                                Most of these kids are just normal teenage-confused in my eyes, with some of them just being plain old gay. They are not trans and should not be encouraged or allowed to make irreversible decisions. The people encouraging them to do so are bad actors. The people defending it are misguided.

100%

Comment

Wasn't he generally thought of as being a bit of a bollix? Legendary player yes.
                                                                                                  Apparently very good to the fans, probably due to the fact they contributed to his status, but a bollix of a teammate. Wanted most money, didn’t want to train, etc. Just wanted to blast home runs.

Comment

Apparently very good to the fans, probably due to the fact they contributed to his status, but a bollix of a teammate. Wanted most money, didn’t want to train, etc. Just wanted to blast home runs.
                                                                                                    Yeah, and a bit of a Ryan Giggs when it came to the laydeez.

Comment

The reason trans rights are gathering so much steam is because of gay marriage. The huge volume of activism that used to be directed towards gay rights has basically completed it's work and has moved on to trans activism. You'll notice how they're trying to use the same strategy with trans rights as they did with gay rights. "Some people are trans, that's just who they are, get over it", essentially.

This would be fine if there weren't some critical differences. Like a person questioning their sexuality might do some experimentation, the worst thing that happens to them is they have some sex they later regret, maybe even a relationship that doesn't work out. A person questioning their gender identity could end up permanently physically altered, sterilised and medicalised for life, all as a result of falling into an internet subculture. Ask Keira Bell how that feels.
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My last word on the subject of trans.

I see some commentary on here about 'far right' or 'bigoted' views. I do object to being referred to in those terms, as most of my views are pretty mainstream liberal imo but that's not my point. The point is actually the impact of such hysterical labelling and sanctimony by those on the left.

My point actually is about the far right and the political impact of this topic constantly being at the forefront of the social media agenda. It is an absolute gift to the far right, and even better for them, they didn't even have to manufacture it themselves. The left did it for them and continues to fall into the trap of pushing woke agendas that the bulk of people, including those with no political leanings, find either strange or incomprehensible.
                                                                                                        A Trump-like figure can then utilise that to their advantage as we see with the constant BS about transgender bathrooms or 'biological men playing womens sport' type noise that they amplify so successfully. As Denny said, this has gone too far. None of us are bigots or illiberal but it's also not a retrograde thing to look at this topic (and the fucking language around it) and think it deeply weird. Which it is.

Labelling people as far right for these thoughts achieves exactly the opposite of what the left wants. Abortion access is being heavily restricted in the US - by judges appointed by a guy who weaponized the issue of transgenderism in his successful election campaign.
                                                                                                        Join the dots. Pick your battles and beware the law of unintended consequences.

Comment

I understand the concern with young children. Of course that should only be permitted in very extreme medical cases. Doctors should not be encouraging anyone to do it. Ideas that have existed a long time, doctors are not suddenly planting idea in peoples heads.

But all of that is the classic “won’t somebody think of the kids” argument. One that a lot of try to hide their prejudice behind. You refer to it as a niche issue. Trans kids are the niche within the niche. The vast majority of trabs cases are adults. Kids aside, have you an issue with adults making these decisions? Or should we be protecting the kids and locking these people up?

The “plain old gay” comment is a bit strange. I doubt a man could develop an attraction to other men think “I might be a woman” rather than “I might be gay”. I admittedly have no clue what either set of ideas is like mentally. But would assume that gender identity is not about sexual attraction.

I’ve asked for your view, it’s only fair I give my own;
                                                                                                          It’s a massive move, one that impacts a person’s entire life - both physiologically and socioeconomically. Probably the single biggest thing a person could do. People could not be doing this for shits and giggles. So when intelligent, rational adults are making this choice. I’m inclined to believe that is it real issue and these people are not insane, looking for attention, or whatever.

Comment

The Daily had a good short 2 part on the topic a few months ago from the parent/child perspective in Texas after the clinic they were attending closed.

Comment

My last word on the subject of trans.

I see some commentary on here about 'far right' or 'bigoted' views. I do object to being referred to in those terms, as most of my views are pretty mainstream liberal imo but that's not my point. The point is actually the impact of such hysterical labelling and sanctimony by those on the left.

My point actually is about the far right and the political impact of this topic constantly being at the forefront of the social media agenda. It is an absolute gift to the far right, and even better for them, they didn't even have to manufacture it themselves. The left did it for them and continues to fall into the trap of pushing woke agendas that the bulk of people, including those with no political leanings, find either strange or incomprehensible.
                                                                                                              A Trump-like figure can then utilise that to their advantage as we see with the constant BS about transgender bathrooms or 'biological men playing womens sport' type noise that they amplify so successfully. As Denny said, this has gone too far. None of us are bigots or illiberal but it's also not a retrograde thing to look at this topic (and the fucking language around it) and think it deeply weird. Which it is.

Labelling people as far right for these thoughts achieves exactly the opposite of what the left wants. Abortion access is being heavily restricted in the US - by judges appointed by a guy who weaponized the issue of transgenderism in his successful election campaign.
                                                                                                              Join the dots. Pick your battles and beware the law of unintended consequences.
                                                                                                              I case it wasn’t clear, I wasn’t saying you were bigoted or far-right. I was saying that actual bigots, can use genuine concerns (like sports) to hide behind. I agreed that the far-left woke mob is playing into their hands by pushing fringe cases.
                                                                                                              It’s also serves alienate people from actual issues around rights.

Saying a trans woman should not play rugby is not the same as saying they should not exist.

FWIW it’s probably an error to think being mainstream liberal prevents one from being prejudiced on some issues. 40 years ago most of the country voted against abortion, homosexuality was illegal. People held those views, and simultaneously thought they were pretty liberal too.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Mellor; 12-08-22, 11:48.

Comment

Ive no issue with being cancelled or labelled but im right in the Raoul mindset . A colleague i met in the US in 1996 was the 1st trans person i met . Was quite the shock to be honest as he had transitioned during my dealings with him . I judge people personally and quite different than to my core beliefs . I dont think people i meet like thst should be disrespected. I know im a callous bastard to the ideal. Anyway he transitioned when it was rare enough occourance ie no sub culture pressure etc. Anyway 20+ years later he's a man again albeit not physically. His words . He tried both and his male half overcame the female half . The doc who approved this should have had his dick removed

Comment

I may be missing something here, but from the stats I see a fraction of a percent of people regret it and the rest are happy? In fact it's a ridiculously high approval rate.
                                                                                                                  And the ones that wanted to go back, the vast majority based their decision on bullying and ostracizing they got. So really, I'm questioning where is the harm?

The two people that transitioned in my work are in their 40's and 50's, mad that they said they felt like they finally could after their whole lives.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                    Anyone in the centre of Dublin in the late afternoon today, I'd humbly suggest sitting for 10 minutes at the Dominick St Luas stop.
                                                                                                                    The flats are in the process of being closed down so the people left are generally those who are difficult to rehouse.

In my 5 minutes waiting for a Luas yesterday about 5.30pm I saw
                                                                                                                    (all with competing ghetto blasters on the first floor to give it a nice Morricone-esque musical score)
                                                                                                                    gangs of kids practising their MMA/Conor McGregor on each other.
                                                                                                                    older people absolutely sprawled out in unidentified liquids in the baking sun, cursing at the world every few minutes.
                                                                                                                    a brawl between two women over a fella who was fast asleep with vomit on what remained of his t-shirt.
                                                                                                                    An 80 year old woman being pushed in a wheelchair whilst swigging from a bottle of vodka.
                                                                                                                    everything from joints to bongs and someone with a crack-pipe at their front door.

I'm sure it's something you'd see in every city in the world, but not necessarily 200 metres from the 'main thoroughfare'.
                                                                                                                    Always appreciate the madness at those flats. I was thinking their days are numbered. To be fair you'd see most of that on the main thoroughfare itself!

Crack is wack, it's bloody everywhere now. Love the lads that just put a coat over their head in the street and go at it, pretend you're invisible. Lot less prep involved vs the old brown
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

FWIW it’s probably an error to think being mainstream liberal prevents one from being prejudiced on some issues. 40 years ago most of the country voted against abortion, homosexuality was illegal. People held those views, and simultaneously thought they were pretty liberal too.
                                                                                                                      Some of the people who are the most pro-trans are extremely bigoted themselves. Prejudice is everywhere, it's part of being human - nobody is without it.

Comment

Some of the people who are the most pro-trans are extremely bigoted themselves. Prejudice is everywhere, it's part of being human - nobody is without it.
                                                                                                                        I'd consider most of the loudest trans activism to be inherently homophobic. Oh, your not a lesbian, you're a man trapped inside a woman's body. You're not a gay man, you just have the 'wrong' body. Really annoys me that it's been tagged on to the LGB groups of past. Last pride event I was at was in 1993, so I know I'm well out of the loop.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd consider most of the loudest trans activism to be inherently homophobic. Oh, your not a lesbian, you're a man trapped inside a woman's body. You're not a gay man, you just have the 'wrong' body. Really annoys me that it's been tagged on to the LGB groups of past. Last pride event I was at was in 1993, so I know I'm well out of the loop.

Wasn't actually what I was thinking of but it's a valid point (once I thought about it).

When did 'T' become commonly appended to LGB?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X