Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I see your game ehonda.

19 mins from taxi drop off til airside. Now aaages to kill.

This all an elaborate plot to increase sales in airport obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        Sonya Kelly's new play The Last Return is coming to The Gate in October and has gotten great reviews. I'll be going to that. The theatre festival has a production in the Abbey of Murphy's Whistle in the Dark if you fancy a bit of the old ultraviolence.
        A friend of mine worked as Tom Murphy's secretary\proof reader\general dogsbody in her first ever job aged 18.

Safe to say it was a learning experience.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Having paid $180 dollahs a skull last time I went to a show in Amerikay, I can assure you I'm not complaining. Just noted that it had gone from 30-ish to 40-ish, which is still great value obv.

Wouldn't mind a glance around the accounts of the Abbey and the Gate some time though.
          It was about 50% more for Endgame. But that was sold out every night.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It was about 50% more for Endgame. But that was sold out every night.
            Just checked my tickets from Endgame last February and they were exactly the same price as they are charging now for the same seats.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Just checked my tickets from Endgame last February and they were exactly the same price as they are charging now for the same seats.
              I'd say there was a star premium with Endgame.

Would be interesting to see how the pricing model actually works though.

Comment

I've some tickets from 2015. The seats that were then €35 are now €40. Think they should be around €250 a pop if you compare it to concerts or sporting events though.

Comment

Nearest thing I could find is this article from 2019 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g...rama-nfgmtrqkt

€860k grant from the Arts Council, and still made a loss of €500k.

Comment

St.emilion was great. The old wineries we’re suitably impressive, but probably a bit stingy with the tasting - but possibly due to the method of handicapping production. Food at the hotel was good, but the Michelin guide prehaps more favourable to French establishments.

Bordeaux next

Comment

Are there any decent docs covering Trump's last year? Covering the 2020 election right up to Jan 6th.
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                        Are there any decent docs covering Trump's last year? Covering the 2020 election right up to Jan 6th.
                        As an exercise in seeing what is being put out there, I'd say the documentary recently made on Alex Jones showing him as an agent of free speech could be interesting. Obviously from planet bananas, but still.

Comment

Rage & Peril are good reads.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                            Keane you're hardly back playing poker are ya?
                            No man, why do you ask? I was asking dobby recently as to whether there's anywhere in Kerry worth playing but that was only out of interest more than anything.

Comment

He was crap last time I saw him.
                              When did you see Doug?

I saw him 10+ years ago, maybe in the button factory?

My only memory of it is of the guy beside me, constantly reassuring me that he normally doesn't go to things on his own and that he definitely has friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                Holy shit, what a race..

Particularly enjoyable due to the commentators

Comment

When did you see Doug?
                                  Well I've lost all sense of time since Covid came along, but we were having a referendum at the time as he was joking about seeing the posters. Maybe it was during the abortion referendum in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

A pissed off builder might cost you far more than a grand
                                    I pissed off a plumber once and woke up in the middle of the night to a tap on the front door. Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

No man, why do you ask? I was asking dobby recently as to whether there's anywhere in Kerry worth playing but that was only out of interest more than anything.
                                      Just noticed some namesake of yours on a FT at the weekend

Comment

The play itself is far from great, but he gives a good performance.

Sonya Kelly's new play The Last Return is coming to The Gate in October and has gotten great reviews. I'll be going to that. The theatre festival has a production in the Abbey of Murphy's Whistle in the Dark if you fancy a bit of the old ultraviolence.

I'm partaking of an outdoor production of The Tempest in Kilkenny at the weekend. I recall being absolutely drowned by a tempest watching a production of it outdoors in the front square in Trinity one time.
                                        That was the Footsbarn production of it, it was nice evening when I was at that and its one of my favourite theatre visits, but then all three times I've been to see Footsbarn are all high in that category.

Still hoping to catch both this Tempest in Kilkenny and Footsbarn's touring show in Dingle despite not currently having nothing arranged for either.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Do Man U fans just look embarrassed and change the subject when the words 'Ryan Giggs' are uttered nowadays? Reprehensible character.

Comment

Do Man U fans just look embarrassed and change the subject when the words 'Ryan Giggs' are uttered nowadays? Reprehensible character.
                                            Can't imagine they do ... You can distinguish the player from the individual you know! I imagine every football/soccer/cricket/rugby/hurling club has had a player like that in their ranks.

He is scum no doubt, but was a brilliant footballer.
                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

If you read about the Legend Georgie Best. No saint .

Giggsey he's no Dennis Irwin .

Footie has a high % of reheps . Benzema one of my fav players . A Scumbag . Ronaldo some dubious shit there too.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                You can distinguish the player from the individual you know!
                                                Better tell the jury.

Comment

Better tell the jury.
                                                  The jury dont care if you are an embarrassed fan or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Just noticed some namesake of yours on a FT at the weekend
                                                    I'd struggle to final table an STT so definitely not me!

Comment

Tell me more, tell me more . Did you get very far.

Well only 73 .RIP SANDY DEE

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        Still hoping to catch both this Tempest in Kilkenny and Footsbarn's touring show in Dingle despite not currently having nothing arranged for either.
                                                        I didn't know Footsbarn were doing a show here, despite being on their awful website within the last two weeks looking.

I see they are in Galway for a couple of nights after Dingle, then at electric picnic.

Comment

Such a shame Trump wasn't in Mar a Lago when the Feds raided it yesterday. One time for tasering.

They must be very confident that whatever they were trying to seize was (a) seizable and (b), very damning to a legal case against Trump. Otherwise why take the political risk?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                            Tell me more, tell me more . Did you get very far.

Well only 73 .RIP SANDY DEE
                                                            Bummer.
                                                            On the upside, Billy Connolly's still with us.

Comment

Such a shame Trump wasn't in Mar a Lago when the Feds raided it yesterday. One time for tasering.

They must be very confident that whatever they were trying to seize was (a) seizable and (b), very damning to a legal case against Trump. Otherwise why take the political risk?
                                                              Probably organised by republicans as a means to energise the base. "If they can do this to President Trump then no one is safe! They will arrest you all and replace you with transgender immigrants! Vote Republican to stop the steal and stop the paedos!!!".

Comment

Feels like a win-win for the GOP (& Hitch). Rally the base prior to the mid-terms, keep Trump preoccupied with this rather than going off script.

Then the FBI & whatever other investigations make it so Trump can’t run in 2024 yet the GOP rally all that Trump support in behind DeSantis so an easy win.

Wash your hands of Trump without any of the blowback from your base and you get a Trump lite character that’s probably far more predictable.

Comment

Was trying to back DeSantis before the prices moved.

Shows how much I've been punting, every account was either closed, wouldn't take an Irish card, or only took a small amount.

Anyway he's mostly favourite now.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Feels like a win-win for the GOP (& Hitch). Rally the base prior to the mid-terms, keep Trump preoccupied with this rather than going off script.

Then the FBI & whatever other investigations make it so Trump can’t run in 2024 yet the GOP rally all that Trump support in behind DeSantis so an easy win.

Wash your hands of Trump without any of the blowback from your base and you get a Trump lite character that’s probably far more predictable.
                                                                    One wrinkle in that is will Trump quietly applaud while DeSantis eats his lunch? His loyalty to GOP is surely non-existent so could easily see him doing his best to blow up any candidate of theirs that isn't him. He's nothing if not spiteful.

Comment

If it is deSantis on the Republican ticket, hard to see how he loses. Biden is too old if he runs, Harris won't win if she runs, I'm not sure who else the dems could/would pick. If Tump runs (and is able to with these indictments) he'll win the ticket I reckon, and might give the dems a fighting chance in the general election.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

One wrinkle in that is will Trump quietly applaud while DeSantis eats his lunch? His loyalty to GOP is surely non-existent so could easily see him doing his best to blow up any candidate of theirs that isn't him. He's nothing if not spiteful.
                                                                        I think if there is a realistic avenue for Trump to run then I totally agree with you.

I’m assuming for what I said to be the scenario, it’s effectively been taken out of his hands by that stage.
                                                                        He’ll be so embroiled that he either technically can’t run or it’s practically impossible.

Perhaps in latter case, it’s a quib pro quo, Trump backs DeSantis and DeSantis agrees to do whatever he can to back Trump when in office.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                          If it is deSantis on the Republican ticket, hard to see how he loses. Biden is too old if he runs, Harris won't win if she runs, I'm not sure who else the dems could/would pick. If Tump runs (and is able to with these indictments) he'll win the ticket I reckon, and might give the dems a fighting chance in the general election.
                                                                          I agree that at this stage, if DeSantis secures the ticket, he looks like a foregone conclusion.
                                                                          Biden may just walk away then the Dems either support Pete or Harris, knowing they’re never winning.
                                                                          Newsom seems to have legit aspirations so he may hold off.

Alternatively, they might try to make a move a little further to the left.
                                                                          I know it sounds a little crazy especially if Biden doesn’t run because he claims he’s too old but could they run Bernie as a face for a progressive movement with the goal of moving the conversation further left, effectively teeing it up for someone like AOC or more likely Tlaib.
                                                                          Warren seems more reasonable in that scenario but not sure she’s interested.
                                                                          Bernie has said he won’t run against Biden but hasn’t ruled it out entirely.
                                                                          They need to do something because the gap between Manchin & The Squad makes it nearly impossible to claim any level of cohesion at this stage.

Comment

Comment

Biden may just walk away then the Dems either support Pete or Harris, knowing they’re never winning.
                                                                              Newsom seems to have legit aspirations so he may hold off.

Alternatively, they might try to make a move a little further to the left.
                                                                              I know it sounds a little crazy especially if Biden doesn’t run because he claims he’s too old but could they run Bernie as a face for a progressive movement with the goal of moving the conversation further left, effectively teeing it up for someone like AOC or more likely Tlaib.
                                                                              Warren seems more reasonable in that scenario but not sure she’s interested.
                                                                              Bernie has said he won’t run against Biden but hasn’t ruled it out entirely.
                                                                              They need to do something because the gap between Manchin & The Squad makes it nearly impossible to claim any level of cohesion at this stage.
                                                                              I don't think any of those democrats can win

Comment

I don't think any of those democrats can win
                                                                                Neither do I but the decision wouldn’t be taken with a win in 2024 in mind.
                                                                                Do you want to run Pete/Kamala effectively standing pat or push the conversation further left.

We assume 2024 is a write off if DeSantis gets the nod so it’s about where to take the party for 2028 onwards.

Comment

If you want to win you'd go right not left?

Comment

I don't think any democrat can win
                                                                                    Fixed that for you.

Do they even have any credible charismatic person in a senior position of the party that's remotely palatable to swing voters?
                                                                                    Or anyone under the age of 60 who's viable?

Comment

If you want to win you'd go right not left?
                                                                                      Not sure that’s true.

I think a large part of the Democrats problem is lack of cohesion rather than where their candidates sit on the spectrum. That’s just not really an issue for the Republicans and when it is, take Cheney for example, she’s effectively ostracised. We’ll know in a week or so but looks like she’s gone.

Sure the progressives would have nowhere to go than either not vote or vote independent but I’m not sure you can continue to have a centrist candidate or even one further to the right running a party who’s members are elected on more and more progressive agendas each cycle.

That’s the problem with the DNC right now, you have the majority of representatives calling for more progressive programs which are being blocked by the few rogues like Manchin & Sinema. Had anyone in the GOP caused the issues that Manchin & Sinema has caused, they’d be put in a similar position to Cheney.

It just seems to me like an opportune time to run a campaign that’s forward looking rather than trying to run a candidate who’ll continue to fail to garner support across the party. Easier to push an agenda when everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Fixed that for you.

Do they even have any credible charismatic person in a senior position of the party that's remotely palatable to swing voters?
                                                                                        Or anyone under the age of 60 who's viable?
                                                                                        They need a Bill Clinton style ( without the, ahem, baggage) centrist. Ideally from somewhere like Missouri, Kansas or Texas.

Good hair and military service a plus.

Comment

Neither do I but the decision wouldn’t be taken with a win in 2024 in mind.
                                                                                          Do you want to run Pete/Kamala effectively standing pat or push the conversation further left.

We assume 2024 is a write off if DeSantis gets the nod so it’s about where to take the party for 2028 onwards.
                                                                                          It's a pretty fluid old thing, the world. Shit lots of 'events' to come between now and then.

Comment

It would be great if the next election was fought out by two non senior citizens.
                                                                                            De Santis will be 46 at the next election.

Comment

The fact that the US are basically split on their political allegiances means a can of Spam could win

Comment

It would be great if the next election was fought out by two non senior citizens.
                                                                                                De Santis will be 46 at the next election.
                                                                                                a little short though

5′ 9″ in feet and inches

Comment

The fact that the US are basically split on their political allegiances means a can of Spam could win
                                                                                                  Hillary was Trumps greatest advantage.
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Hillary was Trumps greatest advantage.
                                                                                                    Maybe but didnt she win the popular vote.

Comment

One of the problems with 'won the popular vote' is that it doesn't give a clear indication of how an election would go if every vote was actually fought for.
                                                                                                      Presumably at the moment, the Democrats don't do much if any campaigning in Texas, Indiana, Alaska etc.
                                                                                                      Similarly the GOP won't ever be bothering too much in California or NY.
                                                                                                      An election where every vote in California or Texas is as valuable as one in Michigan or a similar swing state would be a different ball-game.

Comment

Democrats have won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 Presidential elections, in the US land votes instead of people, you have a hugely disproportionate amount of influence by living in the butt fuck middle of nowhere.

As for the next election, if this place has taught me one thing it's to not trust what anyone here predicts.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 09-08-22, 15:17.

Comment

Swingers generally vote for who they dislike least.

Comment

Golf Rues Question

Links golf. Hit first drive long but into junk long grass.

Hit provisional ball not as long but on fairway.

Hit provisional again.

Can I now look for the first ball or has the provisional become my live playing ball?

Comment

Golf Rues Question

Links golf. Hit first drive long but into junk long grass.

Hit provisional ball not as long but on fairway.

Hit provisional again.

Can I now look for the first ball or has the provisional become my live playing ball?
                                                                                                              No, you’re still live on the first until i) you declare 1st lost or ii) 3 mins of looking time passes.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

One of the problems with 'won the popular vote' is that it doesn't give a clear indication of how an election would go if every vote was actually fought for.
                                                                                                                Presumably at the moment, the Democrats don't do much if any campaigning in Texas, Indiana, Alaska etc.
                                                                                                                Similarly the GOP won't ever be bothering too much in California or NY.
                                                                                                                An election where every vote in California or Texas is as valuable as one in Michigan or a similar swing state would be a different ball-game.
                                                                                                                I understand that but my point really was ' she got so many votes merely on the back of being a Democrat. Both parties are a mess that i doubt the swingers will count so much . The base on boths sides will continue as normal. Ive seen nothing from the Reps to tempt a swinger really . So folk saying the dems have no chance are off . Spam etc

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

No, you’re still live on the first until i) you declare 1st lost or ii) 3 mins of looking time passes.
                                                                                                                  Can't declare a ball lost. Either the three minutes elapse since start of search or don't bother looking and hit provo again.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

What if 2nd shot goes into the hole, do you bother with the full 3 minutes . Do you insta declare it lost ? I think you can't play the 2nd ball until you do the above 1st.

Comment

What if 2nd shot goes into the hole, do you bother with the full 3 minutes . Do you insta declare it lost ? I think you can't play the 2nd ball until you do the above 1st.
                                                                                                                      Run and take your provisional out of the cup, pronto! Only then does that ball officially become the ball in play and your play on the hole considered complete.

Comment

Run and take your provisional out of the cup, pronto! Only then does that ball officially become the ball in play and your play on the hole considered complete.
                                                                                                                        On the LIV tour you get paid when last but what if you get disqualified for angleshooting the provisional . No money ?

Reed needs to know this .

Comment

Can't declare a ball lost. Either the three minutes elapse since start of search or don't bother looking and hit provo again.
                                                                                                                          You know what i mean by declaring it lost, but yes pedantically you can’t. Notable for match play that if you proceed to play provisional your opponent is permitted to spend the three minutes looking for your first and you’d have to play it if found.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X