Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician wasn't joking when he said the house would be in shite. Dust everywhere. Good job we stuck pretty much everything in the shed.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Seems da engerlish wimmin commentators are every bit as bad as the mens . However, calling the defeender Maldiniesque is a bit too far . sound off .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        Seems da engerlish wimmin commentators are every bit as bad as the mens . However, calling the defeender Maldiniesque is a bit too far . sound off .
        watching England blow it here would be every bit as good as watching the men do it- penalties hopefully
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Bit of a bra diddy wobbling celebration . Clear instructions to big up the wimmins game

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            Kerbdog?
            That brings me back. Wilt and kerbdog are like a time capsule for my early 20s
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Lioness are not as big pussies as the Lions ( need a David Attenborough' sum up)

Comment

Jesus this is the best thing I've heard in some time, play it loud, get the bass up..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

JMG knocking it out of the park again https://www.ecosophia.net/the-end-of...ndustrial-age/

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Why is Sabina Higgins getting roasted? Genuinely do not understand?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                      Why is Sabina Higgins getting roasted? Genuinely do not understand?
                      Its fundamentally wrong that the bad side will win, or will see gains. Unfortunately that's whats going to happen. Not a real win obv, Russia has lost many times more than any feasible gain. But it still galls. What Sabina suggested was recognising that reality. Don't think it will have the slightest effect, as seen by the response. Its not healthy for society when we think there's only one correct solution to complex problems. Meh.
                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                        Jesus this is the best thing I've heard in some time, play it loud, get the bass up..

this makes me want to rewatch Treme

Comment

Took 1 kid to the movies in Nass . 2 cokes and a bag of sweets. 30 quid in total. Seems OTT .

Comment

Sister Lola 25/1 4.10 Naas
                            good ew chance

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

this makes me want to rewatch Treme
                              Good call. Absolutely loved it at the time
                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

You would think F1 pit decision making would be the perfect for the application of real time ML to the point of being solved.
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Electrician wasn't joking when he said the house would be in shite. Dust everywhere. Good job we stuck pretty much everything in the shed.
                                  Dust problem largely eradicated. Now to solve the 'how to feed a family for 10 days until new kitchen is installed' problem.

On the plus side the builder kindly built me a wine cave under the stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its fundamentally wrong that the bad side will win, or will see gains. Unfortunately that's whats going to happen. Not a real win obv, Russia has lost many times more than any feasible gain. But it still galls. What Sabina suggested was recognising that reality. Don't think it will have the slightest effect, as seen by the response. Its not healthy for society when we think there's only one correct solution to complex problems. Meh.
                                    Are Russia even losing that much? I have no idea what’s going on over there which makes me at least as well informed as anyone obsessively reading about it in likes of Irish Times/New York times/Washington post
                                    seems to me like Russia’s revenge for sanctions is going to cripple Western Europe far harder than anything we’ve done to them. Assume Zelensky will get thrown to the wolves at some stage when that sinks in

Comment

Not sure how to feel about this

Comment

Are Russia even losing that much? I have no idea what’s going on over there which makes me at least as well informed as anyone obsessively reading about it in likes of Irish Times/New York times/Washington post
                                        seems to me like Russia’s revenge for sanctions is going to cripple Western Europe far harder than anything we’ve done to them. Assume Zelensky will get thrown to the wolves at some stage when that sinks in
                                        ah they are. They're now stuck in a Chinese orbit for the long term and there's no way they will be anything other than a minor partner in that relationship. High oil and gas prices are covering up for the fact that a huge number of their young talent has left - the very people who could build modern industries and modern thinking. They've long-term destroyed themselves.

Comment

ah they are. They're now stuck in a Chinese orbit for the long term and there's no way they will be anything other than a minor partner in that relationship. High oil and gas prices are covering up for the fact that a huge number of their young talent has left - the very people who could build modern industries and modern thinking. They've long-term destroyed themselves.
                                          Did your brother in law get out in the end? (and, if not, is he not living in fear of being dispatched to join the glorious ranks of patriotic youth participating in ths Special Military Operation?)

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                            Sister Lola 25/1 4.10 Naas
                                            good ew chance
                                            sorry wrong sister

Comment

JMG knocking it out of the park again https://www.ecosophia.net/the-end-of...ndustrial-age/
                                              That's post is actually embarrassing. He literally has zero clue about oil or commodities. It's pretty crazy to criticize people for reading the NYT about Ukraine and then post the mad ramblings of an eco warrior. There is an almost infinite supply of energy held in the earth. The problems OPEC have with increasing supply quickly aren't because there isn't much oil yet, it's because they (and no-one) has invested the time or effort into drilling new wells because the price has been subdued for a long time and there was a massive overexpansion in the supply during the shale revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

sorry wrong sister
                                                Many a man has uttered those words.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That's post is actually embarrassing. He literally has zero clue about oil or commodities. It's pretty crazy to criticize people for reading the NYT about Ukraine and then post the mad ramblings of an eco warrior. There is an almost infinite supply of energy held in the earth. The problems OPEC have with increasing supply quickly aren't because there isn't much oil yet, it's because they (and no-one) has invested the time or effort into drilling new wells because the price has been subdued for a long time and there was a massive overexpansion in the supply during the shale revolution.
                                                  Bolded bit

keep on denying - shale revolution

there is a good chunk of fossil fuels left I’m the earth no doubt but the easy to reach stuff is tapped and the stuff that’s left becomes more and more uneconomical to extract- it will take a net energy loss to extract it long before we actually anywhere near actually exhausting it.

it’s crazy how scientifically illiterate people are, a decent secondary schools chemistry and physics foundation should be enough for people to get this but instead you have a bunch of dreamers who believe all the green revolution nonsense.

also a decent historical education would alert people to the fact that many advanced civilisations have declined in the past due to overshooting their resources- only difference this time is scale.

actually was a brilliant example of this on Irish radio during the week where they were discussing U2s proposed vegas residency and how it points to a more sustainable way of doing things instead of bands carting all their gear around the world in artic lorries etc. no mention of how all the audience will make their way to the gigs or the fact that vegas will not have water in the near future due to what’s being called a drought but is actually just a return to normality for that area of the US.

Elon musk and the rest of the spoofers don’t have any solutions for it either I’m afraid.

i hacrually have more respect for people who flat out deny that climate change /resource depletion is happening at all versus people who think we will innovate our way out.
                                                  Last edited by MysteryGuest; 01-08-22, 16:04.

Comment

It's a pretty obscure take on things, to be generous.

Comment

Got ya- so she committed a thought crime.

Comment

Oh God. I made the mistake of clicking through that guy's site a bit.

He has some interesting thoughts (that make the stuff HJ linked seem comparatively sane):

werewolves are, or at least in early modern France were, not merely a matter of fables and delusions. People saw them, chased them, killed them and were killed by them
                                                        It is quite well documented that under some circumstances, certain people can project a phantasm of themselves far away from their actual, physical location, and this phantasm can be seen and spoken to by other people
                                                        Mmmhmmm. Yes.

Comment

Arrived in Dublin on thurs, it’s now Monday and still no sign of a bag appearing. Ironically, the reason it’s lost is because Aerlingus wouldn’t let me board my connection as the time was too short for baggage transfer. Then the flight was delayed to pull my bag off. And I go on standby, where the bag has zero chance of making it.

but I’m a glutton for punishment. Currently sat in airport bar. Flight to Kerry delayed, standard.

Comment

Bolded bit

keep on denying - shale revolution

there is a good chunk of fossil fuels left I’m the earth no doubt but the easy to reach stuff is tapped and the stuff that’s left becomes more and more uneconomical to extract- it will take a net energy loss to extract it long before we actually anywhere near actually exhausting it.

it’s crazy how scientifically illiterate people are, a decent secondary schools chemistry and physics foundation should be enough for people to get this but instead you have a bunch of dreamers who believe all the green revolution nonsense.
                                                            This is hilarious. Talk to people in the industry about it, because you are being 100% scientifically illiterate.

We're talking about fossil fuels, so this has nothing to do with green revolution nonsense. (Which isn't nonsense in any case - look at the UKs carbon emissions over time).

Comment

This is hilarious. Talk to people in the industry about it, because you are being 100% scientifically illiterate.

We're talking about fossil fuels, so this has nothing to do with green revolution nonsense. (Which isn't nonsense in any case - look at the UKs carbon emissions over time).
                                                              I wouldn’t be surprised if the UKs carbon emissions have gone down over time they don’t fucking make anything

Comment

I wouldn’t be surprised if the UKs carbon emissions have gone down over time they don’t fucking make anything
                                                                Britain is the 9th largest manufacturer in the world by output

Comment

... 4 days to go to enter the FPL Fantasy football!!!... Hoping this post hits the regs as we're light on numbers as it stands!!!..

...Hi all... Setting up this seasons FPL as after 10 successful years, IAGO has decided to hang up the coat as master of ceremonies... No changes to money/rules, just to the bank details and revolut ;)... 1. Main league- €30 per entry- Less than 30 runners, pay 3 top, more than 30 runners pay 4. 2. There is a H2H league

Comment

Ryanaer are some joke. Plane is empty. Two people on the booking. Seated in row 8 and 33. Row 8 is empty other than me. Has to be intentional sabotage to scalp €6 to pick a seat.
                                                                    And trying to charge me a tenner to use the empty overhead locker above my seat. I’ll put my bag where I want thanks, it costs you nothing.

Comment

For the posters who claimed to have never heard of onlyfans (still thinking of a suitable one for pegging)

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Got ya- so she committed a thought crime.
                                                                        Isn't is the posting of it on the official Aras web-page that's the issue, not so much the actual content?
                                                                        Like she's clearly entitled to her opinion, and also entitled to express it in the Irish Times, her blog or on the BBV thread.
                                                                        But once she puts it on something official from the Aras, then it blurs the line between being just her opinion and being the official position of the Irish government.
                                                                        And when it actually is totally against the government position as in this case, then it's problematical.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                          For the posters who claimed to have never heard of onlyfans (still thinking of a suitable one for pegging)

SPOILER

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Did your brother in law get out in the end? (and, if not, is he not living in fear of being dispatched to join the glorious ranks of patriotic youth participating in ths Special Military Operation?)
                                                                            All being well with the visa he should be arriving in a month. Thats going to cost us €60k in uni fees over the next four years, but que sera sera. The wife is rolling money into the bank account due to this buyout. And the earnout part has just started, which should be grand for covering the fees, paying off the credit union loan and converting the attic. Seems like it would be greedy to quibble over €60k in those circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              Arrived in Dublin on thurs, it’s now Monday and still no sign of a bag appearing. Ironically, the reason it’s lost is because Aerlingus wouldn’t let me board my connection as the time was too short for baggage transfer. Then the flight was delayed to pull my bag off. And I go on standby, where the bag has zero chance of making it.

but I’m a glutton for punishment. Currently sat in airport bar. Flight to Kerry delayed, standard.
                                                                              Came through airport this morning and must have been 200 suitcases sitting there. Thought it was strange.

Comment

My current expected pension (excluding state pension, I hope) is €30,000 per annum. Thats dramatically less than what I was thinking it might be, having never thought about pensions before now. I guess that's €30,000 in today's money, rather than €30,000 in future money's worth. There's also a lump sum attached to the pension. I can pay an extra after-tax cost of €730 a month (until retirement) to increase the annual pension to €42,000. I'm flummoxed as to whether that is good or not? It doesn't seem cheap, but maybe it is?

Comment

My current expected pension (excluding state pension, I hope) is €30,000 per annum. Thats dramatically less than what I was thinking it might be, having never thought about pensions before now. I guess that's €30,000 in today's money, rather than €30,000 in future money's worth. There's also a lump sum attached to the pension. I can pay an extra after-tax cost of €730 a month (until retirement) to increase the annual pension to €42,000. I'm flummoxed as to whether that is good or not? It doesn't seem cheap, but maybe it is?

State pension isnt means tested as far as I know so that's another €188 per week in today's money.

Comment

Cheers. Could never understand the system. Just looking at those pension numbers I posted - I wonder do they make sense. €9,000 per year now, to get €12,000 per year at the age of 65 (in 20 years or so). Don't know anything about pension maths though.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                      State pension isnt means tested as far as I know so that's another €188 per week in today's money.
                                                                                      Massive assumption being that will increase in line with inflation over the period from now until retirement, even as the dependency ratio goes up massively.

As assumptions go, that one qualifies as 'heroic'.

You could of course say the same about public sector pensions....

Comment

The Americans finally got al-Zawahiri. Amazing that he evaded them for so long

Comment

The Americans finally got al-Zawahiri. Amazing that he evaded them for so long
                                                                                          Ya know what that means. Upcoming terrorist attack.

Comment

Cheers. Could never understand the system. Just looking at those pension numbers I posted - I wonder do they make sense. €9,000 per year now, to get €12,000 per year at the age of 65 (in 20 years or so). Don't know anything about pension maths though.
                                                                                            If you expect to be found dead in a brothel at 62 I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

If you expect to be found dead in a brothel at 62 I wouldn't bother if I were you.
                                                                                              spouse+kids pension innit

Comment

Don't forget the IPB FPL comp is starting soon https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...23#post1723054
                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... I just read your article.

I don’t know the ins & outs of the financials of French education nor the length of time required to complete a management course for an esoteric business like a bike shop but I totally disagree with your position that what is required is more courses focused on niche areas which specific additional education.

I think courses need more flexibility and more worryingly there are too many courses in Ireland that falsely claim flexibility but leave people unnecessarily pigeon holed (it happened me).

You consistently read things like “Former students of AgScience from the University of Craggy Island have gone on to pursue roles as Astronauts & Unicorns” but it’s all bluster because you more often than not need to pursue additional education to claim entry level positions.

For me, it’s less emphasis on immediate immersion into 3rd level courses, but greater flexibility within 3rd level courses when in there.
                                                                                                  Also, institutions which are actually technical allowing for immersion into the work force with decently paid work experience.

Trades people are often afterthoughts in Irish education systems, letter from Fas to say you’re going to Shannon for Phase 2, Carlow for Phase 4, Dundalk for Phase 6. That needs to be improved and centralised to allow for closer parity with 3rd level institutions.

There are roles which need specific training such as Trades people but you can’t sell me on the idea that someone who wants to run a bike shop needs to re-educate themselves in “Bike Shop Management”.
                                                                                                  Why not “Business Management” and then some specific modules on physical inventory rather than virtual inventory.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Murdrum; 02-08-22, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                    Hitchhiker's Guide To... I just read your article.

I don’t know the ins & outs of the financials of French education nor the length of time required to complete a management course for an esoteric business like a bike shop but I totally disagree with your position that what is required is more courses focused on niche areas which specific additional education.

I think courses need more flexibility and more worryingly there are too many courses in Ireland that falsely claim flexibility but leave people unnecessarily pigeon holed (it happened me).

You consistently read things like “Former students of AgScience from the University of Craggy Island have gone on to pursue roles as Astronauts & Unicorns” but it’s all bluster because you more often than not need to pursue additional education to claim entry level positions.

For me, it’s less emphasis on immediate immersion into 3rd level courses, but greater flexibility within 3rd level courses when in there.
                                                                                                    Also, institutions which are actually technical allowing for immersion into the work force with decently paid work experience.

Trades people are often afterthoughts in Irish education systems, letter from Fas to say you’re going to Shannon for Phase 2, Carlow for Phase 4, Dundalk for Phase 6. That needs to be improved and centralised to allow for closer parity with 3rd level institutions.

There are roles which need specific training such as Trades people but you can’t sell me on the idea that someone who wants to run a bike shop needs to re-educate themselves in “Bike Shop Management”.
                                                                                                    Why not “Business Management” and then some specific modules on physical inventory rather than virtual inventory.
                                                                                                    Cheers. Actually it was business management he was doing - just that he could apply it, through assignments, to bike shop management. So he viewed it as a degree in bike shop management. Its a nice idea imo - we have the same where I work for aviation management - its essentially business management, but the students view it through a lens of aviation management. So, its general, but the student mentally creates the specialism.

Comment

Dust problem largely eradicated. Now to solve the 'how to feed a family for 10 days until new kitchen is installed' problem.
                                                                                                      Same problem, but 30 days...At least we'll be away for 13 of them.

They started at 7:30am (!) and by 7:50 we had no ceiling or kitchen.

Comment

Not sure if posting pictures of meat is still a thing here, but had a Uruguayan brisket from Higgins' in Sutton as the last supper in the old kitchen. Freaking stupendous. By far the best butcher in the country. I got a Japanese Wagyu A5 steak for my birthday earlier in the year and it was a definite contender for the nicest thing I've ever eaten anywhere.

meat.jpeg

Comment

Cheers. Actually it was business management he was doing - just that he could apply it, through assignments, to bike shop management. So he viewed it as a degree in bike shop management. Its a nice idea imo - we have the same where I work for aviation management - its essentially business management, but the students view it through a lens of aviation management. So, its general, but the student mentally creates the specialism.
                                                                                                          That’s fair enough. I suspect most courses allow you to do assignments on specific businesses/areas of interest.
                                                                                                          My issue is the immediate specialisation that the Irish system creates. It’s particularly evident in IT’s or TUI’s.

Type in management or business for example into searches and you can comfortably pick out up to 10 courses in each institution that could be offered as generic courses which people can practically specialise in rather than being married to a specialist degree they chose straight out of school.

Comment

I guess that's €30,000 in today's money, rather than €30,000 in future money's worth.
                                                                                                            It will scale with public sector pay deals and be tied to whatever your retiring point on the scale is until you croak.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

That’s fair enough. I suspect most courses allow you to do assignments on specific businesses/areas of interest.
                                                                                                              My issue is the immediate specialisation that the Irish system creates. It’s particularly evident in IT’s or TUI’s.

Type in management or business for example into searches and you can comfortably pick out up to 10 courses in each institution that could be offered as generic courses which people can practically specialise in rather than being married to a specialist degree they chose straight out of school.
                                                                                                              The issue though is that it will be taught as a generic business course in Ireland - those 10 course. While in France you have curated learning according to your area of interest. So to the student it seems like bike shop management. Its the same resource implication for the institution, but we don't allow students flexibility, or tailor delivery towards their specific learning goals. That then leads to a student disconnect, where what they are learning in the class doesn't chime with what they realise they need to know. Probably why Springboard courses have such massive dropout rates. You and me might be grand with drawing the linkages between generic learning and how to translate that into the workforce, but we already have a decent level of education. For the people it matters to, they don't always have those skills.

Plus, and this is a different point, disagreeing with your overall premise. I'm not sure we don't already have a huge level of specialism in Springboard courses - its just that the specialism is in areas unrelated to the needs of most students. We offer one, for example, on green technology. A very valid area, just one that is unrelated to the sectors where people need to be lifted out of minimum wagedom.

Comment

You should be given a Pension Benefit Statement every year with your latest numbers.

My understanding is that for current PS DB schemes the numbers quoted include the state pension. So you get the state pension and your pension scheme makes up the difference to get you to 30k.

Buying service on PS DB schemes is generally seen as +EV.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

You should be given a Pension Benefit Statement every year with your latest numbers.

My understanding is that for current PS DB schemes the numbers quoted include the state pension. So you get the state pension and your pension scheme makes up the difference to get you to 30k.

Buying service on PS DB schemes is generally seen as +EV.
                                                                                                                  I've no idea of the numbers, but it doesn't *seem* great value - €9,000 from net pay every year for 20 years to gain €12,000 per year from 65 until an uncertain end point. As in, you seem to be given up approximately the same amount now with a certainty, for a future, not too dissimilar, return.

Comment

I've no idea of the numbers, but it doesn't *seem* great value - €9,000 from net pay every year for 20 years to gain €12,000 per year from 65 until an uncertain end point. As in, you seem to be given up approximately the same amount now with a certainty, for a future, not too dissimilar, return.
                                                                                                                    You are buying years of reckonable service right? The years you buy will also feed into your lump calculation. If you move up the scale or get promoted the years are worth more.

There is a big risk with the pension age moving out. You end up paying more and getting less.

Comment

The issue though is that it will be taught as a generic business course in Ireland - those 10 course. While in France you have curated learning according to your area of interest. So to the student it seems like bike shop management. Its the same resource implication for the institution, but we don't allow students flexibility, or tailor delivery towards their specific learning goals. That then leads to a student disconnect, where what they are learning in the class doesn't chime with what they realise they need to know. Probably why Springboard courses have such massive dropout rates. You and me might be grand with drawing the linkages between generic learning and how to translate that into the workforce, but we already have a decent level of education. For the people it matters to, they don't always have those skills.

Plus, and this is a different point, disagreeing with your overall premise. I'm not sure we don't already have a huge level of specialism in Springboard courses - its just that the specialism is in areas unrelated to the needs of most students. We offer one, for example, on green technology. A very valid area, just one that is unrelated to the sectors where people need to be lifted out of minimum wagedom.
                                                                                                                      I think we’re agreeing here to an extent. FWIW, I’m primarily concerned with the initial specialisation offered in many undergrad courses which I think offer far less prospects that advertised.
                                                                                                                      This in turn perpetuates the problem for many families.

My point is the fundamental issue with the Irish system is the lack of flexibility straight out of school.
                                                                                                                      In order to achieve what France does would require a major change in the Irish system.
                                                                                                                      Their system appears to me to be generic, yet flexible with seamless specialisation.
                                                                                                                      I agree that’s what we need.

Where we seem to differ is how to address the issues in the Irish system and the ramifications for people being educated in the Irish system.

Your solution appears to be greater specialisation, perhaps via short specialised courses. That seems fine to me but the pitfalls if not done properly are worse for many with many being misled.

I agree with you that fundamentally greater flexibility across the board would be hard achieved and perhaps that would cause some disillusionment but I still think that for example a generic business undergrad is the lesser of two evils when compared to what we have today for many.
                                                                                                                      Compare that to current system whereby you are 3-4 years into an undergrad degree which is specialised from the outset and may have little relevant job prospects.

Take Business & Sport Management which is in 3-4 TUI in Ireland with approx 80 students entering per year. Ball park it as 40% graduate rate, do we need around 100 students a year graduating who are trained most specifically to run Leisure Centre facilities?

How disillusioned would you be(as a parent or child) a couple of years into your degree if you knew that you could be a fitness instructor if you complete a 6-week fetac course and immediately begin to earn. You are on the same path as the person who has completed a 4 year degree.

I think specialisation via short term job related training seems like a good idea.
                                                                                                                      My primary issue is the volume is specialised undergrad courses in institutions across the country which people take on for 3-4 years and are then faced with little relevant job prospects.
                                                                                                                      They and their parents have exhausted much of their financial & mental resources only to be left with few opportunities.
                                                                                                                      That is what my primary concern is when I read calls for greater specialisation especially for lower income people as I believe specialisation out the gate is actually problematic given many of those specialised courses have been around decades yet the nature of jobs have changed quite significantly.

Comment

The bigger your pension pot, the higher tax free lump sum you can take at retirement, so 9k now pre tax, could be worth that after tax when you take into account lump sum and likely lower tax rate of earnings then. Also, if you aren't constructively using that money now, putting it into your pension is the obvious clever thing to do in terms of giving you greater options when to retire, more money when you do, etc. In 20 ish years time kids and probably mortgage won't be a factor for you.

I know I'm not bestowing any new facts on you here, but if you don't need it now (and your comments about the wife's income sounds like you don't) then stuff it away for future you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

You are buying years of reckonable service right? The years you buy will also feed into your lump calculation. If you move up the scale or get promoted the years are worth more.

There is a big risk with the pension age moving out. You end up paying more and getting less.
                                                                                                                          Yep, that would be for 10 years of reckonable service. Only have six at the moment at an age of nearly 45.

Well, also have two years in the UK, and five years in France, but don't really know what those will end up as.

5stars point does make sense. Might be worth just stacking it away.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X