This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

The only way it wouldn't be a debunking is if you assign some probability to the rantings of conspiracy theorists. Presumably in this case that the virus was transported to the market.
    I don't know enough about genetics to describe the more technical evidence to you.This paper is from March 2021 and absolutely none of it is debunked by the latest findings (to my admittedly limited knowledge): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7993900/

There are plenty of interviews with one of the main authors, Yuri Deigen, on Youtube where he describes the evidence in a less technical way. He's quite gruff and totally not a good podcast guest, which I find entertaining tbh. Tldr is of course there are conspiracies out there but there's also plenty of actual evidence and saying it's debunked is simply not correct. Not that that has ever stopped any of us lumping in an opinion with all our might.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

SPOILER
      Quite a clever episode. I think he planned that scam to ensure the other guy wouldn't ID him to anyone. Also at the end he looked like he was going for his colourful clobber 'Saul' look
      SPOILER
      oh that makes sense! That it was about ensaring the other guy, rather than a scam for scams sake. It did look slightly like they were leaving open the possibility of a continuation series of 'Saul after the fact'
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        In my local () Carrefour supermarche this morning and I saw something so unthinkable, so appalling, so un-French that I felt compelled to share it here. But mainly for shraaaaaap.

Mustard is strictly rationed to one pot per shopper.

What the hell is going on? Has the entire French social and cultural construct just collapsed? Surely the end of civilisation as we know it.
        massive countrywide drought of mustard. it's hilarious. managed to get some in l'ile de re, playing my crutches cripple card.

just back in the UK this week and have been stocking up to or 3 pots daily from here (no such issues so far in the UK) until we head back to France end of next week, as lots people have asked us to bring some back to them. tempted to buy like 300 pots and sell them at the local market for a tenner a pop. would pay for a portion of the holiday.

Comment

Take it to the mustard forum

Comment

Take it to the mustard forum
            Count to a Million Mustard Pots forum

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              I'm beginning to wonder if any of the Garret "odd shoes" anecdotes are true.

“It’s like following a hearse,” said John Miley, walking slowly behind the Blake machine he and his father before him had used to resole the shoes of every Taoiseach from Eamon de Valera to Enda Kenny.

Sad to see a business close down. Can't help thinking though that a number of his rivals are thriving, going into new markets, and social media.

Maybe it's more that he wants something new.

The land would be worth a bomb
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

massive countrywide drought of mustard. it's hilarious. managed to get some in l'ile de re, playing my crutches cripple card.

just back in the UK this week and have been stocking up to or 3 pots daily from here (no such issues so far in the UK) until we head back to France end of next week, as lots people have asked us to bring some back to them. tempted to buy like 300 pots and sell them at the local market for a tenner a pop. would pay for a portion of the holiday.
                it's global warming (La moutarde est dans le nez du monde)
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Have a look on Google maps, check where the market is and where the lab is.

We could also talk about furin cleavage sites if either of us had a decent knowledge of genetics but there's more than enough info out there for people to make reasonably educated decisions. tldr, it's not a conspiracy theory. It's still a reasonable proposition.
                  It's been rejected even by those in the scientific community who previously believed it was a reasonable probability. Can a belief be reasonable if there is no reasonable evidence to support it?
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Do people bother replying to recruiters when not interested? (assuming it's at least a relevant job)

Comment

Is live poker in Dublin still a thing? Find myself at a rare loose end and considering indulging myself.

Comment

Some people may be interested in this article after some talk of energy supplies / changing to green sources being accelerated due to The Ukrainian war - Coal is still King!

Comment

Do people bother replying to recruiters when not interested? (assuming it's at least a relevant job)
                          I don't. Enough going on to be responding to linked in fishing.
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                            Is live poker in Dublin still a thing? Find myself at a rare loose end and considering indulging myself.
                            You will regret this.
                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

7pm in the bonnington. Bounty hunter tourney. €80 entry consists of 40 quid to prize pool, 25 to bounty, 15 reg. 30k stack, 20 mins clock. Late reg 6 levels.

7pm Jp In tallaght, €100 freezeout with a €25 scalp. 30k stack, 20 mins clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

You will regret this.
                                Haven't committed to it yet. A random visit to the cinema or perhaps just a high stool and a book are also on the cards.

Comment

Since my recent foray back into the poker streets I have been quite surprised by the vibrancy of particularly the PLO scene in Dublin.

I have played in a number of decent sized 2/5 games in both the Bonnington and D1 club recently. The latter has a game every night with most nights seeing two tables. There is also a €150 PLO tournament in the Bonnington every Tuesday which has had 43 runners both times it has ran since it started.

Also hearing of some deep private games that are easily accessible so the future is bright for the great game!

Comment

Episode 2 of The Rehearsal, linked here last week, has moved up a level in terms of oddness and potential excellence.

Comment

It's been rejected even by those in the scientific community who previously believed it was a reasonable probability. Can a belief be reasonable if there is no reasonable evidence to support it?
                                      Such as?
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Such as?
                                        Why don't you show a serious scientist that is still claiming it. Its hard to show the other way around as its the absence of something. We'll await the avalanche of peer-reviewed research and topnotch scientists.

Comment

The conspiracy never made sense anyway as there were too many incentives to push the story for non-scientific reasons. When you have that type of imbalance, and Trump as the main proponent, its best to just dismiss. Even if you are wrong, you still aren't on the side of lunatics.

Comment

...9 DAYS to go until the new premier league season kicks off... The official FF leagues are now opened, and limited to 60 spots for the main league, so hurry the fuck up and get entering...

...Hi all... Setting up this seasons FPL as after 10 successful years, IAGO has decided to hang up the coat as master of ceremonies... No changes to money/rules, just to the bank details and revolut ;)... 1. Main league- €30 per entry- Less than 30 runners, pay 3 top, more than 30 runners pay 4. 2. There is a H2H league

Comment

The conspiracy never made sense anyway as there were too many incentives to push the story for non-scientific reasons. The conspiracy never made sense anyway as there were too many incentives to push the story for non-scientific reasons.
                                              Works both ways. China have a huge set of incentives to control any narrative. From what I remember they blocked any information and investigation in the early stages.

It's not some fringe idea. Paul Graham discussed it a lot. He's not exactly known for being a crank pot lunatic.

The error bars are huge.

When you have that type of imbalance, and Trump as the main proponent, its best to just dismiss. Even if you are wrong, you still aren't on the side of lunatics.

Comment

The IPB EoM game is tonight right?

Comment

The only way it wouldn't be a debunking is if you assign some probability to the rantings of conspiracy theorists. Presumably in this case that the virus was transported to the market.
                                                  Wouldn’t “debunking” mean that other supposed theory’s were proven to be not possible.
                                                  FWIW is a lab was intentionally releasing a novel virus. It would make perfect sense to do so at a wet market.

it’s no more or less nonsense than it ever was though

Comment

EOM in the SE. Tempted myself

Comment

Any excel heads around?

I'm trying to tidy up a sheet atm and though vlookup was going to be ideal. Names in a column, then vlookup against the target column. Standard stuff.

The problem is that the target column has cells with multiple names. So to match Joe Bloggs against Joe Bloggs fine. However, I can't figure out how to match because the target cells/column have a value like "Joe Bloggs, John Smith, John Doe" etc.

Does anyone know a way for me to partial match even?

This would eliminate a lot of manual data removal and mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Wouldn’t “debunking” mean that other supposed theory’s were proven to be not possible.
                                                        FWIW is a lab was intentionally releasing a novel virus. It would make perfect sense to do so at a wet market.
                                                        Given you were one of the proponents of the original craziness, I'm not surprised you also haven't given up. Thats the problem with conspiracy theories, that they tend to properly hook people and make them reluctant to release, as it would involve admitting they had believed something stupid. It was loosely wrapped racism that was behind the idea.

Comment

Next episode of Better Call Saul is entitled Breaking Bad. Cant wait .

Comment

Next episode of Better Call Saul is entitled Breaking Bad. Cant wait .
                                                            How many more episodes are left in the season? I have somehow managed to not start the final season yet but I am currently a first time Covid patient so might just start it now.

Comment

EOM in the SE. Tempted myself
                                                              Ooooh.... now...

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                Any excel heads around?

I'm trying to tidy up a sheet atm and though vlookup was going to be ideal. Names in a column, then vlookup against the target column. Standard stuff.

The problem is that the target column has cells with multiple names. So to match Joe Bloggs against Joe Bloggs fine. However, I can't figure out how to match because the target cells/column have a value like "Joe Bloggs, John Smith, John Doe" etc.

Does anyone know a way for me to partial match even?

This would eliminate a lot of manual data removal and mistakes.
                                                                If you add false to the the of the vloopup formula it should do a partial match.

Also if that doesn't work you could use search as part of the sub query
                                                                Search(substring, cell) will return true if a cell contains a substring.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

How many more episodes are left in the season? I have somehow managed to not start the final season yet but I am currently a first time Covid patient so might just start it now.
                                                                  3 left

Comment

This trial was mentioned here before. As who groped a one night stand while she slept was sentenced to 18 months.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-41868143.html
                                                                    Pretty interesting case, one thing jumped out at me in the report, which could just be reporting error. So hard to make any sense of these cases unless you hear all the evidence I was just surprised to see such a glaring contradiction.

SPOILER

The woman then fell asleep and woke later to find Ó Leidhin on top her of her and groping her breasts. She said she told him to stop and get off her.

He did stop and told her: “Sorry, I'm horny”.

The court heard that she was annoyed and told the defendant that she was clearly asleep.

The woman said she went back to sleep. Later that night Ó Leidhin drove her home and over the following days she texted him expressing annoyance at what had happened..

​​​​​…….

She said the night of the attack was the last time she would ever go to sleep feeling safe from attack.

Comment

If you add false to the the of the vloopup formula it should do a partial match.

Also if that doesn't work you could use search as part of the sub query
                                                                      Search(substring, cell) will return true if a cell contains a substring.

I was trying the true/false option but it just doesn't work for some reason. The usual finance type excel wiz characters are all on holidays.

Will give the search substring a shot.

Comment

Resolved to let the De Santis bet build slowly, by adding £300 a month to the bet. 3.3 average odds so far. So by Christmas it will be £2,100 to win about £5,000, which isn't too bad. Providing the market doesn't move in the meantime, of course.

Comment

4.5 hours on a bus to Derry to retrieve my airbound vehicle today. 45 mins back. Whoever had it in for the Derry folk did a great job of isolating them.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                            4.5 hours on a bus to Derry to retrieve my airbound vehicle today. 45 mins back. Whoever had it in for the Derry folk did a great job of isolating them.
                                                                            Any chance of a pickup in East Midlands Monday at a more reasonable hour than 6am, will pay in horse tips*

*not gtd to win

Comment

Resolved to let the De Santis bet build slowly, by adding £300 a month to the bet. 3.3 average odds so far. So by Christmas it will be £2,100 to win about £5,000, which isn't too bad. Providing the market doesn't move in the meantime, of course.
                                                                              I haven’t looked at much in the last couple of weeks but my outside shout for Dem nomination is still around the same price.

I think if you fancy someone as an outside bet, best to get in before the mid-terms because anyone who thinks they’re in with a shout if Biden doesn’t run will start making noise after the mid terms.

Apparently the Republicans have been negotiating with Trump to keep his mouth shout until after the mid-terms. Declaring his intention to run could really derail what looks like some clear gains.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I was trying the true/false option but it just doesn't work for some reason. The usual finance type excel wiz characters are all on holidays.

Will give the search substring a shot.
                                                                                INDEX/MATCH with a wildcard would be a way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I haven’t looked at much in the last couple of weeks but my outside shout for Dem nomination is still around the same price.

I think if you fancy someone as an outside bet, best to get in before the mid-terms because anyone who thinks they’re in with a shout if Biden doesn’t run will start making noise after the mid terms.

Apparently the Republicans have been negotiating with Trump to keep his mouth shout until after the mid-terms. Declaring his intention to run could really derail what looks like some clear gains.
                                                                                  Mayor Pete is looking good for that shout tbh

Comment

Given you were one of the proponents of the original craziness, I'm not surprised you also haven't given up. Thats the problem with conspiracy theories, that they tend to properly hook people and make them reluctant to release, as it would involve admitting they had believed something stupid. It was loosely wrapped racism that was behind the idea.
                                                                                    I know claiming wild nonsense sprinkled with accusing others of racism/fascism/etc is your Twitter MO these days. But you know you have to do better here. Absolutely lol.

I was one of the conspiracy proponents? Lmfao. Yeah you’ve just pulled that out of ours ass sideways. At no point have I ever claimed it came from a lab. I’ve been pretty open dismissed the idea that it was man made. In particular, I recall a long reply to JBravado on those lines.

I was pointing out that your “bunked” story doesn’t actually debunk the claim it was man-made in a lab. I don’t have to believe that theory to point that out.

Comment

Ooooh.... now...
                                                                                      Hit a wall around 8pm so decided against it. Keen to catch up though if possible

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Pretty interesting case, one thing jumped out at me in the report, which could just be reporting error. So hard to make any sense of these cases unless you hear all the evidence I was just surprised to see such a glaring contradiction.

SPOILER

The woman then fell asleep and woke later to find Ó Leidhin on top her of her and groping her breasts. She said she told him to stop and get off her.

He did stop and told her: “Sorry, I'm horny”.

The court heard that she was annoyed and told the defendant that she was clearly asleep.

The woman said she went back to sleep. Later that night Ó Leidhin drove her home and over the following days she texted him expressing annoyance at what had happened..

​​​​​…….

She said the night of the attack was the last time she would ever go to sleep feeling safe from attack.

Yeah, it’s a very odd case. What he did was obviously wrong. But the context of the actions is huge. The article doesn’t make everything very clear. But presumably the trial had the required detail.

Comment

Percy Picklebackers is an interesting place to end up when you are on it for15 hours.

Anyone want %s for morning lol

Only joking, keeping the win for myself, this is great craic, no wife or kids till Tursday

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Any chance of a pickup in East Midlands Monday at a more reasonable hour than 6am, will pay in horse tips*

*not gtd to win
                                                                                            Would love to but definitely not current enough to take on a trip in random weather etc yet! Haven't flown for 3 months so even a sunny day trip down the island was pretty taxing!

Comment

A story that has everything. Yor welcone.

Comment

Q: Why does the Norwegian navy put barcodes on the sides of its ships?
                                                                                                A: So when they get back to port they can Scandinavian.

Comment

A story that has everything. Yor welcone.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/prin...165542823.html
                                                                                                  Pegging was less sordid than i was expecting. Must be a public school thing though.

Comment

Just read the story on the boat race, fantastic… lots of parallels to any profession there.

Comment

Wagatha Christie verdict day today, announcement at midday. Knew there had to be an ulterior motive for Dice wanting to be in the UK this week. Would imagine he's glued to the big screen as we speak, joining the throngs of supporters and detractors.

Comment

one of dem bitches lost. what a waste of fucking money. pathetic. hopefully they disappear into oblivion

Comment

Do you fancy Depp or Rooney in the final?

Comment

No idea what the case was about but love the 'wagatha christie' tag.

Comment

Sat down to write a 1,200 word newspaper article. At 400 words I was desperate to add words, wondering where they would come from. Now I'm at 2,500 words wondering where the fuck I'm going to cut. Never happy.

Comment

Pro tip for the coming winter- wool jumpers and thermals- get in before the rush- and I’m talking for just sitting around the house
                                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Covid day 5

Comment

Have this on the spotify as it seems to have popped up in a few places due to Stranger Things. Its a killer of a tune.

Comment

Covid day 5
                                                                                                                      Ah you'd want to be getting monkeypox to be one of the cool kids these days.
                                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Ah you'd want to be getting monkeypox to be one of the cool kids these days.
                                                                                                                          I feel good . No more bugs or rashes . I don't wanna be a cool kid Ted. I don't wanna be a cool kid

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X