X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

But can she name the father?
    Hugh O'Leary (surely more than a drop of Irish there) and two daughters apparently.

Maybe he's a deep cover agent for us and the whole Northern protocol thing will be quietly sorted out within minutes of her taking office.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Theres a girl in Teddy's in Dun Laoghaire, that I've met there a few times, and she just has the weirdest vibe about her. Like great, but I don't know what its all about. She's there handing out hundreds of cones a day, so must be bored out of her tree, but then whenever you go to her she breaks into an amazing smile, listens to you ordering an order she has already forked over 20 times in the last 20 minutes as if you are making the most phenomenal choice, then pulls the cone with this look of contentness as if she has been waiting all day just to do this for you. Then she hands it over with a concluding dazzling look of: well that was quite an experience we both had wasn't it. I'm just blown away by it.
      As opposed to.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Not that i care either way but are you not receiving news that he is too healthy from the same medium ? Fact is 'who knows' and maybe this is part of the old bollocks also. Its folly to believe 100% anything either side say. I shall file this under ironic .
          It was rmthe US Intelligence Chief, no? Not that it matters either way, as everyone seems to have forgotten about the war.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

This is a good read:

The world’s first round-the-world solo yacht race was a thrilling and, for some, deadly contest. Its contestants' efforts can teach us about the art of maintenance.

Comment

It was rmthe US Intelligence Chief, no? Not that it matters either way, as everyone seems to have forgotten about the war.
              There’s a guy on Substack that’s quite good about Russia, not just the war but more general: https://ironcurtain.substack.com?r=1...utm_medium=iOS

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                The homeowner – who asked be called rory-brian of the family of adamson

Ohhhhh boy.
                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Two great links Gab and Denny . Most entertaining

Comment

^
                    at least he can plead insanity for any future infractions

Comment

I see AIB have reversed their decision to essentially withdraw from towns as large as the likes of Kenmare & Dingle there while ago. It seems insane to me that the likes of AIB & BOI look at their anemic online/app offerings and think their best direction of travel is to withdraw brick and mortar services and attempt to take all their business into the digital sphere where they will be destroyed in short order by the likes of Revolut

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        FYP IMO

That was a fantastic piece of writing, great story well told. I remember that race from when I was a kid but somehow didn't have any real idea of the depths to either the Crowhurst story or the oh so French tale of Moitessier.

Also as good a piece of writing on software development or any other engineering as you'lll read.
                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 22-07-22, 12:05.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

A few here not coming out of this too well

FYJ4wQ6XgAIkikW?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                            I see AIB have reversed their decision to essentially withdraw from towns as large as the likes of Kenmare & Dingle there while ago. It seems insane to me that the likes of AIB & BOI look at their anemic online/app offerings and think their best direction of travel is to withdraw brick and mortar services and attempt to take all their business into the digital sphere where they will be destroyed in short order by the likes of Revolut
                            Am I missing something on the plan they announced earlier in the week.

Did they intend to remove ATM's and deposit machines as well as tellers?

Comment

Waiting nearly 4 weeks for a Tesco clubcard. Rang last week and apparently it takes 21 days to get it.....21 days!!

Meanwhile I'm feeling like a complete mug buying stuff for 25% extra .....so much so I'm now shopping elsewhere so take that Tescos

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Am I missing something on the plan they announced earlier in the week.

Did they intend to remove ATM's and deposit machines as well as tellers?
                                Yep that was their plan, completely cashless. Obviously a precursor to closing those branches completely. Lots of businesses going down the cashless route but for a bank to do so is pisstaking of a different level.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post

Yep that was their plan, completely cashless. Obviously a precursor to closing those branches completely. Lots of businesses going down the cashless route but for a bank to do so is pisstaking of a different level.
                                  Its grand to say the branches should remain open, but we shouldn't then we surprised that borrowing rates remain the highest in Europe. Was the same during the post financial crisis, where everyone was going on about preventing eviction, but it has identifiably led to much higher interest rates as default is so costly. I think we probably need some sort of future where bank branches might be shared between banks to service a particular town.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                    Waiting nearly 4 weeks for a Tesco clubcard. Rang last week and apparently it takes 21 days to get it.....21 days!!

Meanwhile I'm feeling like a complete mug buying stuff for 25% extra .....so much so I'm now shopping elsewhere so take that Tescos
                                    Tesco are the crappiest supermarket out there and not even close IMO

Comment

Its grand to say the branches should remain open, but we shouldn't then we surprised that borrowing rates remain the highest in Europe. Was the same during the post financial crisis, where everyone was going on about preventing eviction, but it has identifiably led to much higher interest rates as default is so costly. I think we probably need some sort of future where bank branches might be shared between banks to service a particular town.
                                      I don't think Irish banks have noticeably worse cost ratios than the rest of the EU.

Higher mortgage rates here are largely the product of:
                                      • A highly uncompetitive banking market (basically a duopoloy plus the zombie 'bank' of PTSB)
                                      • The difficulty of banks when enforcing security against delinquent borrowers

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Their food is genuinely bad.

Comment

I like the one near me..all the basics I need ...good parking...rarely have to Q ...good selection of shops adjacent...bottle bins...car wash

And they screw it all up with a poxy clubcard scheme!

Comment

FYP IMO
                                            I'm an understated man

Also enjoyed this today:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...eather-upgrade

For instance, in many parts of the UK, homes that face each other at the rear are required to be built 21 metres apart. The 21-metre rule is, according to the Stirling prize-winning architect Annalie Riches, a bizarre hangover from 1902, originally intended to protect the modesty of Edwardian women. The urban designers Raymond Unwin and Barry Parker walked apart in a field until they could no longer see each other’s nipples through their shirts. The two men measured the distance between them to be 70ft (21 metres), and this became the distance that is still used today, 120 years later, to dictate how far apart many British homes should be built
                                            probably bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                              This was fantastic thanks for posting it
                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Not that i care either way but are you not receiving news that he is too healthy from the same medium ? Fact is 'who knows' and maybe this is part of the old bollocks also. Its folly to believe 100% anything either side say. I shall file this under ironic .
                                                The game is to turn everything into a lie and then the winner is the one who comes up with the biggest lie*

*Stolen from The Undeclared War on C4

Comment

Getting a QuickStep floor and a Bora hob in the renovation work. Think my mrs must be watching late night TdeF highlights after I'm in bed.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                    Getting a QuickStep floor and a Bora hob in the renovation work. Think my mrs must be watching late night TdeF highlights after I'm in bed.
                                                    Public sector sounds like it’s doing just fine

Comment

I'm trying to think of a visit to any town in Europe I've ever been on where there wasn't a bank branch. If I'm reading these stats on the world bank's website correctly Ireland had less branches per 100k population than the EU average in 2010 and every year since so seems like a stretch to claim our smaller number of branches leads to higher mortgage rates that they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Public sector sounds like it’s doing just fine
                                                        Strategic move of buying a house in 2012 is the gift that keeps on giving!

Deliberately avoided asking how much the hob is. That was her one wishlist item, even though I do 80% of the cooking.

Comment

Deliberately avoided asking how much the hob is. That was her one wishlist item, even though I do 80% of the cooking.
                                                          I'm speccing a kitchen lately and it occurred to me that a top of the line extractor fan is probably a good bang for the buck item especially if you have open plan kitchen/living space. The difference in price seems to only be a couple of hundred quid from low end to premium

Comment

The reference to the hob is funny because we still talk about how broke we were when buying our house that we agonised over spending the extra 80e for the hob with no knobs.

We decided against spending the extra and now I regret it every time I cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I'm trying to think of a visit to any town in Europe I've ever been on where there wasn't a bank branch. If I'm reading these stats on the world bank's website correctly Ireland had less branches per 100k population than the EU average in 2010 and every year since so seems like a stretch to claim our smaller number of branches leads to higher mortgage rates that they have.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...lse&start=2010
                                                              I suppose an EU average is useful, but people like to point to the more modern Scandinavian banks rather than the slower main continent. Finland, Norway, Sweden, all have far less branches, but quite a satisfied banking population, as they have invested instead in technology. You can see it also from Estonia, famously one of the most tech advanced countries in EU (about half the bank branch supply as Ireland).

Now, the obvious elephant in the room, is that Irish banking tech is painfully bad. But they are hiring hundreds of fintech people, so it should improve. I suppose they are looking for savings on branches to justify that investment.

More generally, higher cost inputs lead to higher cost outputs. France indeed has loads of bank branches, but it cost a lot to bank there. Theres no such thing as free banking in France. Although I thought it was a better banking system, as you had a personal bank manager who could instantly give you overdraft, credit card, mortgage even.

So - I suppose the choice is that we either go much more high service or much more digital if we want to improve the banking service. Either approach has its merits and demerits. I would personally think the low cost, digital only, is the inevitable future. I'm not sure this half-assed approach of keeping open cash facilities really does anything of benefit. The main users of cash are those who don't pay tax, and the very elderly. For those who don't pay tax, we shouldn't be facilitating that. For the very elderly, they are already going into the post office anyway for the pension, so this might, if anything, suit them better.

Comment

I have it as an app on my phone, better than a card and no delivery time.

Comment

Hadn't quite realised just how problematic agriculture was. At a rough guess, without any other information, I would have guessed agri as around 5% of our emissions. But it really is the big ugly bear coughing in the corner. Fucking hell. Going to be carnage to sort it out though, as farmers are contrary at the best of times and seem to have vastly disproportionate influence despite there only being 130,000 farms in the country. I suppose the best route is to throw money at the farmers.

Comment

Same boat, had a temp paper card for years!
                                                                    got the Tesco app lately thinking I could import the card to the digital app, nah, temp card numbers not applicable.

Wouldn't mind but as soon as I have the physical card delivered and put on my phone it's going in the bin, so the hold up/delay is a bugger.
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

FYP IMO

That was a fantastic piece of writing, great story well told. I remember that race from when I was a kid but somehow didn't have any real idea of the depths to either the Crowhurst story or the oh so French tale of Moitessier.

Also as good a piece of writing on software development or any other engineering as you'lll read.
                                                                      haha that is very true.
                                                                      The tale of Crowhurst rings true in a lot of projects I've been on
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I like the one near me..all the basics I need ...good parking...rarely have to Q ...good selection of shops adjacent...bottle bins...car wash

And they screw it all up with a poxy clubcard scheme!
                                                                        I generally avoid Tesco like the plague but the one at Liffey Valley seems pretty decent.
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Teso is about 40/50% more expensive than lidl or aldi with similar or worse products and, a really awful neon aesthetique and generally overweight staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                            Teso is about 40/50% more expensive than lidl or aldi with similar or worse products and, a really awful neon aesthetique and generally overweight staff.
                                                                            Most of the Irish population are "generally overweight".
                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I wonder if Rory of the family Adamson got the oul vax.
                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Most of the Irish population are "generally overweight".
                                                                                Visibly overweight might be a better way to put it

Comment

What’s the difference between AIB’s decision and BOI’s to close 88 branches? Is it where they were closed or something regarding the State’s ownership in AIB?

Comment

Think I remember you having a particular fondness for Artane Tesco. You'll be sad to learn that they did it up. Restaffing with bikini models is next up!

Comment

Visibly overweight might be a better way to put it
                                                                                      Is it not just that they are generally older? Like some of the staff in my local Aldi seem barely old enough to be working at all, and some of their tattoos would have made anyone unemployable 20 years ago.
                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Who cares if they are overweight? The staff being overweight wouldn't exactly make me stop going in there. There shite selection and poor meat products would stop me alright.
                                                                                        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Tbh most Tesco products are better than aldi/lidl, or at the least the range is a lot better. I could not do a full shop in those but get basics.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

Who cares if they are overweight? The staff being overweight wouldn't exactly make me stop going in there. There shite selection and poor meat products would stop me alright.
                                                                                            it's not a deal breaker, but it just adds to the general sense of ennui.

As zuutroy points out though, the Artane tesco is particularly bad, it's what I imagine a post-apocalyptic shopping experience would be like
                                                                                            Last edited by Hectorjelly; 22-07-22, 21:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Tbh most Tesco products are better than aldi/lidl, or at the least the range is a lot better. I could not do a full shop in those but get basics.
                                                                                              I imagine your basket of goods is a lot fancier than me! I cook very simply, I'm generally just buying fruit and vegetables and sometimes meat.

Comment

it's not a deal breaker, but it just adds to the general sense of ennui.

As zuutroy points out though, the Artane tesco is particularly bad, it's what I imagine a post-apocalyptic shopping experience would be like
                                                                                                I never minded it, but I've been going there for basically my entire life. General rule is ex-Quinnsworths are OK, ex-Crazy Prices are bad. Omni is a disaster. Since they've done Artane up I cant find anything....weeks later and I'm still doing laps of the place. Give me my post apocalypse back.

Comment

Great thread on nuclear waste - https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status...URTb0kiLhgo_jg

Comment

I am seriously in favour of building a large nuclear plat in Wicklow/Wexford (or sandymount) plus a massive Dublin bay wind farm but I’m getting serious nuclear industry shill vibes from that thread author
                                                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Gimmeabreak Strewelpeter
                                                                                                      I notice the horse Hoo Ya Mal who came second in the Derby got sold for £1.2M.
                                                                                                      This seemed very cheap to me when point to pointers, bumper winners and store hose geldings can go for £250/£300K.
                                                                                                      Was there some catch with him that made him a bad stud prospect maybe, or anything else to explain the price?

Comment

Have made one or two shopping detours to the local-ish Dunnes, as a ridic hot Haitian lady from the school, separated, works there. She has this glorious look of profound distaste for the world about her.

Comment

HJ is right about Tesco. The average worker looks like they died a few years ago and are just being reanimated for the purposes of standing around Tesco staring at the automated kiosks. In fairness, that's what the Haitian Dunnes girl does also, but she has a look about her.

Comment

Anyone got any AI tickets- not a genuine fan- have not attended a game since 2017 National football league final

just want to see Croke park healing- 2nd year in a row without the Paris st German of GAA desecrating the place
                                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Who shops in Tesco ? Fucking traitors

Comment

Brag: Security queue to airside in 7 minutes.
                                                                                                                Waved through the throng of "plebs"
                                                                                                                by an old foe from the poker tables.

Beat: Arrived 2.5 hours early as per instructions and now have 2 hours & 23 minutes to kill
                                                                                                                and nothings open, no duty free,
                                                                                                                even Burger King slumbers 'till 5am.

Sleep well ya feckers.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                                  Brag: Security queue to airside in 7 minutes.
                                                                                                                  Waved through the throng of "plebs"
                                                                                                                  by an old foe from the poker tables.

Beat: Arrived 2.5 hours early as per instructions and now have 2 hours & 23 minutes to kill
                                                                                                                  and nothings open, no duty free,
                                                                                                                  even Burger King slumbers 'till 5am.

Sleep well ya feckers.
                                                                                                                  They'll get you on the other side

Comment

They'll get you on the other side
                                                                                                                    They fk you at the drive in - Leo Getts

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                      Gimmeabreak Strewelpeter
                                                                                                                      I notice the horse Hoo Ya Mal who came second in the Derby got sold for £1.2M.
                                                                                                                      This seemed very cheap to me when point to pointers, bumper winners and store hose geldings can go for £250/£300K.
                                                                                                                      Was there some catch with him that made him a bad stud prospect maybe, or anything else to explain the price?
                                                                                                                      GAB would be far better informed about it than me but I think the price was close enough to expectations. Hoo Ya Mal's stallion prospects are probably limited enough, and whatever they are I'm sure it is priced in. There has been a shift towards speed being the key factor in the market for stallions, this was highlighted when the 2020 winner Serpentine was gelded to race for prize money in Oz. There is a lot of prize money in flat racing internationally and a consequential shift here and in the UK towards producing horses for that market.

The market for national hunt stores and pointers is something else altogether, while there is an acute commercial focus at all the levels along the way, when you get to the point of final sale at the top end return on investment is not really measured in $$$

Comment

They fk you at the drive in - Leo Getts
                                                                                                                        Drive through

I use that quote far too much in life.

Comment

Wife and kids away for weekend so off to celebrate Cam Smiths nice pocket money with an afternoon few Guinness and horse punting. Prefer to chat in the pub and not be constantly looking at the phone for bets so have come up with a novel approach today backing number 1 in every race today so if we happen to be watching a race I know who to cheer for. I doubt the punting purists would approve .51 bets. Check any balance tonight

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X