Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The neighbour popped in regularly and watered the tomatoes while I was away. Social question: what do I do now?

1. Pop around and say thanks.
    2. Pop around and say thanks btw here's a bottle of wine we picked up in France (which I will source in Tescos).
    3. Pop around with an acapella band which sings 'here's to you Mr Neighbour, jesus loves you more than you can know'
    4. Ignore it and give him a nod and a grunt when I see him next
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I had assumed the towel was damp first
      A crunchy, hard, frozen towel. That's even worse. Madness.
      You want maximum surface contact, with comfortable cool temp. It's science. [insert Jessie Gif]

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        The neighbour popped in regularly and watered the tomatoes while I was away. Social question: what do I do now?

2. Pop around and say thanks btw here's a bottle of wine we picked up in France (which I will source in Tescos).
        3. Pop around with an acapella band which sings 'here's to you Mr Neighbour, jesus loves you more than you can know'
        Did you ask him to? If yes then option 2 .
        If NO then option 2 also (just to be nice)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

You want maximum surface contact, with comfortable cool temp. It's science. [insert Jessie Gif]
          Far be it from me to second guess the plans of a random aussie bird. And the efficacy of household freezers in turning a towel into a hard crunchy mattress.
          I'm more along the lines of a towel folded for neck support wicking heat away. I'm not talking beachtowel here in size.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It's 25 degrees. First time in three years it's been warm enough to use a summer duvet imo.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Its starting to seem like Liz Truss could easily be the next PM. Mordant just doesn't seem to have the momentum. Chalk this one up to a rare prediction win for RD3.

Comment

Its starting to seem like Liz Truss could easily be the next PM. Mordant just doesn't seem to have the momentum. Chalk this one up to a rare prediction win for RD3.
                Still going to be very tight although Truss does seem to be the one with the mo'. And will presumably win the membership vote comfortably.

Prime Minister Truss. And they used to rule over half the known world. Jaysis.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Its probably great news for Labour. Replace one loon with another.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Still going to be very tight although Truss does seem to be the one with the mo'. And will presumably win the membership vote comfortably.

Prime Minister Truss. And they used to rule over half the known world. Jaysis.
                    It's an interesting gamble on the Tories side.
                    Truss will likely be a death knell for the current party make up but could somehow fall into a Thatcher-y type of cult worship
                    Rishi would lose a GE, even maybe not by so much but he'd never win. Truss won't either but has a better chance.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Where do they find these people
                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

If juicy and ripe no 3 will be the option
                        if sour do no 4 and tell him to sharpen up on the watering front

Comment

Went swimming in bull island yesterday and today... Water there is really fab and perfect way to cool down. Only 20mins cycle from the office which is excellent.
                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

2 and then a kilo of Toms when they ripen, you will be bathing in them in another few weeks
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Perhaps, and I may be well off the mark here,
                              But have you considered donating a few of the tomatoes to him?

Edit: fu you ninja strewel
                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Make him a nice Pasta sauce out of them.
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                  Went swimming in bull island yesterday and today... Water there is really fab and perfect way to cool down. Only 20mins cycle from the office which is excellent.
                                  Stopping by beshoff bros for fish and chips after a swim is deadly. Perfect evening!
                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Soak a teeshirt in water and drap it over a fan was our ghetto AC years ago when living in Canada.
                                    The towel thing might have potential tbh
                                    I had heard about this and wanted to try it periodically over the years but the addition of water to an electric appliance always seemed dodge to me

Must be grand though

Comment

2 more fallers to covid, that’ll teach me to go to little England costa blanca
                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

That assumes (a) a competent Labour leadership (very debatable) and (b), an electorate willing to lean left. I'm not sure that either is applicable.

The last loon won a huge majority, remember?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Make him a nice Pasta sauce out of them.
                                          Later when there is a glut of them you can do that but as the first few ripen now there is nothing better than what I've been waiting all year for. A slice of white batch buttered with a homegrown tomato sliced salted and left for a while at room temperature.
                                          Had the first one yesterday and it was just awesome

Comment

Very odd. My phone says it's 9pm, common sense would say it's 8pm in Ireland and IPB says my last post was at 7pm.

Has 6star entered the matrix?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Think you only leave it in for like 20 min

Comment

Where are all the defenders of this nonsense that were on here praising it when introduced
                                                https://www.irishtimes.com/health/20...e-study-finds/
                                                been a failure in Scotland too

neo Puritanism is all it was from man boob leotard wearers
                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                  Where are all the defenders of this nonsense that were on here praising it when introduced
                                                  Failure based on shift to home drinking from pub since covid, so sciencey

But yeah guilty on the moob charge

Comment

It was a load of rubbish at the time and patently is still so. Just putting more money into the distributers hands and driving prices up for people - the vast majority of whom are not problem drinkers in the first place.

Comment

It wasn't intended to solve the problem of people with current alcohol problems - that's a medical intervention issue, not a price issue - it was intended to stop a future generation of heavy drinkers becoming problem drinkers. Its explained in the article itself that it has actually reduced the overall level of drinking in other countries. The comparison with pre-covid is stupid, as it assumes that nothing happened to drinking patterns during covid, and also the studied post-covid period includes some time when pubs were restricted. tl'dr if you form your opinion solely from headlines you harm yourself and others around you.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                        2 more fallers to covid, that’ll teach me to go to little England costa blanca
                                                        Its only this week, 4 weeks on the symptoms are over, have had an annoying post nasal drip since week 2 when the sore throat went, that was the worst, the throat, kept me awake for about 3 nights, each time i would swallow it woke me up with the pain.

Whole house ended up getting it in the end, impossible to self isolate in a family home.
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

In stitches.-> One tits going to the shops the other is coming back with the change .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

In stitches.-> One tits going to the shops the other is coming back with the change .
                                                              GLOLM

Comment

Magnus makes it official that he won't be defending his title. It was a thing throughout the candidates that he has intimated that he might not defend it but I think most people put the chances of him actually not defending at less than 1%. Confirmed today that he won't defend.

Hikaru had the white pieces against Ding in the last round only needing a draw to secure second in the candidates but ended up losing, at the time he played it down as he said no shot Magnus doesn't play, and now he would have been playing the world championship match.

Pretty awful for chess though to not have Magnus play.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Magnus personal extra curricular activities taking their toll on him, and I don't mean the poker
                                                                  The Fantasy Football?

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                    Magnus makes it official that he won't be defending his title. It was a thing throughout the candidates that he has intimated that he might not defend it but I think most people put the chances of him actually not defending at less than 1%. Confirmed today that he won't defend.

Hikaru had the white pieces against Ding in the last round only needing a draw to secure second in the candidates but ended up losing, at the time he played it down as he said no shot Magnus doesn't play, and now he would have been playing the world championship match.
                                                                    I always believed he was sincere and would have been shocked if he was to waste the whole year out of his life that playing the WC format takes just to crush Nepo again. Even if he was seen not to be 100% committed he'd be value at prices like 1.3 to crush. He may have changed his mind if Hikaru or Ding had won the candidates but he has no more to prove against them than aginst Nepo.
                                                                    It's a pity Aliresa didn't come through but I'd be just as surprised if Magnus doesn't take on him or one of the others from this generation in a few years time, by then he should be somewhat handicapped by age and that will make for all the more interesting a challenge.

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                    Pretty awful for chess though to not have Magnus play.
                                                                    I don't think its bad for chess at all, it's terrible for FIDE but feck them they are as bent as a nine bob note and hopefully will benefit from the kick in the arse this gives them.
                                                                    Magnus will still be playing and dominating most of the IRL and online events.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

The Fantasy Football?
                                                                      Different kind of fantasies being actualised I think

Comment

Thought Podge had a great opportunity to take more time today.
                                                                        Slightly surprised myself and young fella were the only two glued to it in the bar.

Comment

Comment

need to click on the full picture

Comment

Traveled back to Ireland yesterday from the Cotswolds in the UK, the past two days were a frustrating end to our family holiday as the weather was truly hellish, over 35 degrees on Monday and Tuesday - our two little kids couldn't really enjoy things, it was just too hot to be outside, and the Airbnb lodge we had there just wasn't designed to deal with any kind of heat. I am sure it was 30 degrees indoors for at least 48 hours there! Four hour drive across the desert landscape that is England and Wales not much fun either, as my car's AC decided to pack it in. Blowing hot air across your face doesn't help! New electric car coming next week supposedly, wish I had waited for it, LOL. Still overall a good trip I suppose, but that weather...

Comment

It wasn't intended to solve the problem of people with current alcohol problems - that's a medical intervention issue, not a price issue - it was intended to stop a future generation of heavy drinkers becoming problem drinkers. Its explained in the article itself that it has actually reduced the overall level of drinking in other countries. The comparison with pre-covid is stupid, as it assumes that nothing happened to drinking patterns during covid, and also the studied post-covid period includes some time when pubs were restricted. tl'dr if you form your opinion solely from headlines you harm yourself and others around you.
                                                                                I'm not entirely too sure that a part of it's aim was not to stop current problem drinkers. In that by increasing the price of the cheap alcohol they were consuming, it would mean that they'd drink less of it. Which kinda makes sense but is still a bit of a fallacy.

I don't really see it make a difference to future problem drinkers either IMO. Young people have more disposable income than they ever had i'd say and even if they don't, they'll find a way to get it. Everyone here did so growing up.

The answer surely is more education regarding alcohol and the dangers associated. Which ironically could be funded by the increase in prices - but it's not, it's lining the manufacturers pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I'm not entirely too sure that a part of it's aim was not to stop current problem drinkers. In that by increasing the price of the cheap alcohol they were consuming, it would mean that they'd drink less of it. Which kinda makes sense but is still a bit of a fallacy.

I don't really see it make a difference to future problem drinkers either IMO. Young people have more disposable income than they ever had i'd say and even if they don't, they'll find a way to get it. Everyone here did so growing up.

The answer surely is more education regarding alcohol and the dangers associated. Which ironically could be funded by the increase in prices - but it's not, it's lining the manufacturers pockets.
                                                                                  We tried educating people on cigarettes for decades, and it was grand, but the massive price increases have been a great additional tool in reducing cigarette consumption. The idea isn't that people will not drink, but that rather than choosing the 6% Druid's Cider you will, because of the price, choose the 4% Bulmers. It's about having an effect at that micro-decision level. Or maybe four-packs become the norm, rather than six-packs. Which I think is now the case? So you've then changed the default decision from a six-pack to a four-pack. That then has the effect of reducing overall alcohol unit consumption, which is linked to reduced future problem drinking. It won't affect you and me as we are both well gone, but it will change default behaviours for emerging drinkers. Its a tool that is known to be effective, its not the only tool though.

Comment

Isnt our boozy culture dying out anyway. They might kill off a whole industry and thus a lot of tax revenue . Kids these days dont booze as we did and sure half of us are wine swilling metrosexuals . Ronnie Drew etc etc .

Comment

We were never the biggest absolute boozers in the world, just that the way we drink is harmful - drink a limited amount of times but in large volumes when we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I always believed he was sincere and would have been shocked if he was to waste the whole year out of his life that playing the WC format takes just to crush Nepo again. Even if he was seen not to be 100% committed he'd be value at prices like 1.3 to crush. He may have changed his mind if Hikaru or Ding had won the candidates but he has no more to prove against them than aginst Nepo.
                                                                                        It's a pity Aliresa didn't come through but I'd be just as surprised if Magnus doesn't take on him or one of the others from this generation in a few year's time, by then he should be somewhat handicapped by age and that will make for all the more interesting a challenge.
                                                                                        I feel sorry for Nepo. He gets blown away in his first WC in which nerves clearly played a massive part and despite the huge amount of ridicule the guy shows back up to the candidates and destroys the field. He completely outclassed all of them. He deserved another shot. Hikaru said that Magnus's reasons for not playing Nepo are more centered around the kind of openings Nepo plays veering towards the ultra-solid which leads to lines that favor not getting beaten over having chances to win rather than the massive skill gap.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        I don't think its bad for chess at all, it's terrible for FIDE but feck them they are as bent as a nine bob note and hopefully will benefit from the kick in the arse this gives them.
                                                                                        Magnus will still be playing and dominating most of the IRL and online events.
                                                                                        It is still the big chess show piece event which will now be such a damp squib. I can't even imagine how terrible the event will be with Magnus not playing shadow.

Comment

Shein will IPO soon, I can't wait to see how badly it fares in the real world. All the stuff about AI is nonsense (as it almost always is); their business model is absolute razor-thin margins (to the point it's dubious if they are profitable) and some clever marketing/supply chain/tax workarounds. That coupled with ESG headwinds mean they will never return any value to shareholders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/14/chin...24-report.html

In a way, it's emblematic of the pedestal people put China on, they have had phenomenal growth to get to the point they are at, but that was mainly fueled by what a bad state they were in previously and the usual benefits that countries enjoy as they move from the second world to the third world. Now they will pay the price of horrendous mistakes like the one-child policy, rampant nationalism and fueling GDP through housing. (Their housing market is valued higher than the US stock market). This is peak China now, it's a slow descent from here.

The video clip from Henan shows a long queue of tanks preventing locals from reaching the bank branch.

Comment

We were never the biggest absolute boozers in the world, just that the way we drink is harmful - drink a limited amount of times but in large volumes when we do.
                                                                                            What's your definition of a limited amount of times? I'd say a large proportion of drinkers here drink at least once a week and many multiple times. Definitely wouldn't say we are a nation of periodic drinkers in any case. Not sure what the definition of large volumes is anymore. I seem to remember that more than 4 units in a sitting was considered "binge drinking" before, not sure if still the case. We probably do drink in larger volumes than most nations when we do though alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                              Shein will IPO soon, I can't wait to see how badly it fares in the real world. All the stuff about AI is nonsense (as it almost always is); their business model is absolute razor-thin margins (to the point it's dubious if they are profitable) and some clever marketing/supply chain/tax workarounds. That coupled with ESG headwinds mean they will never return any value to shareholders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/14/chin...24-report.html

In a way, it's emblematic of the pedestal people put China on, they have had phenomenal growth to get to the point they are at, but that was mainly fueled by what a bad state they were in previously and the usual benefits that countries enjoy as they move from the second world to the third world. Now they will pay the price of horrendous mistakes like the one-child policy, rampant nationalism and fueling GDP through housing. (Their housing market is valued higher than the US stock market). This is peak China now, it's a slow descent from here.

The video clip from Henan shows a long queue of tanks preventing locals from reaching the bank branch.
                                                                                              a) Your article says the IPO will be in 2024 at the earliest - which isn't soon

b) If they are already been successful to grow to bigger than H&M, its a big claim to think they might not be successful in the future

c) Whats wrong with the Chinese housing market being 'valued' higher than the US stock market? Its not valued much different to the stock of US housing, for a four times higher population and a reasonably wealthy country (average Chinese person earns about the same as an average Eastern European)

tl;dr step away from the loudspeaker ideologyboy

Comment

Its so hard to beat this chicken jambalaya recipe, that I think 6star linked a few years ago:

A healthy Cajun-inspired rice pot that's bursting with spicy Spanish sausage, sweet peppers and tomatoes. This easy dish has been triple-tested and nutritionally analysed by our cookery team.

Just got everything going for it.

# don't @ me eamonkofta

Comment

Any golfers here wanna beta test my new app. Real close to launch now and wanna iron out whatever I can. So it'd be much appreciated.

2 min time commitment. Need an iPhone.

No cost.
                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Its so hard to beat this chicken jambalaya recipe, that I think 6star linked a few years ago:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...rizo-jambalaya

Just got everything going for it.

# don't @ me eamonkofta
                                                                                                    That's a regular in my gaff, and makes a great lunch to reheat too!

​​​One of those ones where you taste it and are amazed there so few ingredients
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

IPB Fantasy Premier League signups are live!
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                        Isnt our boozy culture dying out anyway. They might kill off a whole industry and thus a lot of tax revenue . Kids these days dont booze as we did and sure half of us are wine swilling metrosexuals . Ronnie Drew etc etc .
                                                                                                        Too broke sniffing coke to be drinking. Less calories in the old Colombian marching powder
                                                                                                        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

b) If they are already been successful to grow to bigger than H&M, its a big claim to think they might not be successful in the future

c) Whats wrong with the Chinese housing market being 'valued' higher than the US stock market? Its not valued much different to the stock of US housing, for a four times higher population and a reasonably wealthy country (average Chinese person earns about the same as an average Eastern European)

tl;dr step away from the loudspeaker ideologyboy
                                                                                                          fast fashion crumbles fast.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

fast fashion crumbles fast.
                                                                                                            H&M, or Dunnes in an Irish context, have been making money out of fast fashion since the year dot, though.

Comment

This is an odd point to argue. What's soon?

Is it success if they lose money with every purchase? H&M make a profit - last year had 1.7bn in operating profit. As far as I can tell Shein are just another VC backed money losing scheme, like uber, doordash, etc where the business is subsidised by vcs with the hope of selling the IPO out to mugs.

Housing has accounted for roughly double the % of GDP in china then most other developed nations, so if you think a centrally planned economy run by the people responsible for the one child policy haven't vastly overbuilt I have an NFT of a bridge to sell you.

It might not end in disaster, but its going to be a huge dampener on growth now they can't just keep throwing up skyscrapers.

"By any standards, China’s property bubble looks epic. Home prices in major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen are more than 30 times average annual incomes. That compares with ratios closer to 10 in leading global centers such as London and New York, where valuations already look stretched after more than a decade of near-zero interest rates. "

Comment

Theres a girl in Teddy's in Dun Laoghaire, that I've met there a few times, and she just has the weirdest vibe about her. Like great, but I don't know what its all about. She's there handing out hundreds of cones a day, so must be bored out of her tree, but then whenever you go to her she breaks into an amazing smile, listens to you ordering an order she has already forked over 20 times in the last 20 minutes as if you are making the most phenomenal choice, then pulls the cone with this look of contentness as if she has been waiting all day just to do this for you. Then she hands it over with a concluding dazzling look of: well that was quite an experience we both had wasn't it. I'm just blown away by it.

Comment

Liz Truss is very good at reading a teleprompter but she's absolute not PM material. The Marco Rubio of British Politics IMO.
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

​​​​​​
                                                                                                                    These lads travel in China on motorbikes, and have lived there for quite a few years. Some of the stuff going on there is Celtic tiger on steroids.
                                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                      https://youtu.be/wJ8JBTIVUVw
                                                                                                                      ​​​​​​
                                                                                                                      These lads travel in China on motorbikes, and have lived there for quite a few years. Some of the stuff going on there is Celtic tiger on steroids.

I don't get it. They built homes that haven't yet been filled. So prices will need to fall a bit. A bit like Ireland after 2008, when 15% of our housing was vacant. Except its a much smaller percentage in China. We recovered grand, and they are growing far faster than us, so will have pent-up demand from an emerging middle class. Its all smokes and mirrors.

Comment

The ghost cities in China , wasnt that spoken off years ago. Whats new ?

Comment

Theres a girl in Teddy's in Dun Laoghaire, that I've met there a few times, and she just has the weirdest vibe about her. Like great, but I don't know what its all about. She's there handing out hundreds of cones a day, so must be bored out of her tree, but then whenever you go to her she breaks into an amazing smile, listens to you ordering an order she has already forked over 20 times in the last 20 minutes as if you are making the most phenomenal choice, then pulls the cone with this look of contentness as if she has been waiting all day just to do this for you. Then she hands it over with a concluding dazzling look of: well that was quite an experience we both had wasn't it. I'm just blown away by it.
                                                                                                                          Was it a freebie or did she smile as she took your money

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X