X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Wager?
    Why bet on something you would absolutely HATE to see happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
      Am back home soon and have booked a round at Palmerstown House for the 5th July at 3pm.

Myself and Coillcam in so far, my oul lad can’t make it and my buddies are non golfer losers.

Would happily make it an IPB foursome if lads here wanted to jump in?

Switch? Brady ( if you are lurking?)? Elbows? Solks?

edit: and any golfers who I’m not aware of. All welcome.
      If there's still space I'll play. I'll ask Murdrum. He doesn't really lurk anymore even. The slow website last year tilted him
      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

If there's still space I'll play. I'll ask Murdrum. He doesn't really lurk anymore even. The slow website last year tilted him
        Try convince him to post again, he was a great contributor.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
          Went on the beer in Dublin after the GAA match. Been a while . Coincided with PRIDE night. Lol some of the antics and sights . I think yer average US Republican might have unloaded a chamber . Ronnie Drews Dublin sure has changed .
          Had the Mrs niece staying with us cos she was going out with her friends for it. Came up on Friday night and I asked was pride a full day thing or wha. All day for the parade and all night out she said. Rocked in the door at half 10 last night fresh as a daisy. Young wans dont know how to sesh any more

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Structures are terrible for those irish poker tour events anyway. Antes from the start and skipping levels. Have played in bonnington twice recently and seems to have decent structures for 1 day games out there
            Dont agree with yoy there Dobby. Hard to improve this structure for a 1 day game. By way of example I wss ko'd in 41st out of 536 after 10 hours of reasonably stacked poker. I am sure the game had at least 7 more hours to a finish.
            Anyhow great to have plenty of poker back(shoul have an IPB game in Sporting Emporium sometime)

Comment

Heading to Montana today for 4 rounds of golf over the next 3 days.

The place we are playing is called The Wilderness Club and meant to be magic.

Golf. Sunshine. Clean mountain air. Beer. Gambling. Bbq.

What more could ya want.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

Solks is in I think so there’s 1 spot left.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                  Repeal of Roe has the opposite affect of the 8th repeal.
                  Subsequent laws will have their own effects, many opposite. But I’m talking about the actual act of repealing Roe vrs repealing the 8th.

Roe was a SC judgement that protected the right to abortion. Without it, abortion law can be regulated by the states.
                  The 8th was a constitutional amendment that blocked abortion. Without it, abortion law can be regulated by the state.

When the 8th was repealed, the state soon after brought in regulations on abortion. Which is exactly what’s going to happen in America now. I think the fact America being presented with the same opportunity as Ireland, is viewed so negatively. Is the perfect summary of how screwed up America is right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

You have GOP senators calling out brown vs board of education as next target, gay marriage, gay relationships, right of privacy in the bedroom, contraceptives. Everytime is up for grabs with this supreme court. Its a clown show.

​​​
                    Never mind GOP senators. Justice Clarence Thomas in concurring stated "In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, & Obergefell."

Griswold was the landmark decision in which the court said that the constitution protects the right of married couples to buy and use contraception. Lawrence, which struck down a Texas sodomy law, made same-sex sexual activity legal. Obergefell said same-sex couples have the legal right to marry.

He is arguing that all decisions that previously fell under “due process precedents”, a concept he claims is an “oxymoron” that lacks any basis in the Constitution, are rubbish. But he could have done this without clearly calling out targets.

Oh it's on. Shocking how many right wing zealots, raised on a diet of Shapiro et. al, there are among the younger generation. Plenty here too. Hobgoblins.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Seems significant that he quoted stats from the National Right to Life Committee.

Comment

Why bet on something you would absolutely HATE to see happen.
                        Because it would be great to bet against something that can't possibly happen

Comment

Heading to Montana today for 4 rounds of golf over the next 3 days.

The place we are playing is called The Wilderness Club and meant to be magic.

Golf. Sunshine. Clean mountain air. Beer. Gambling. Bbq.

What more could ya want.
                          Wimmin???

Dependant on Montana's view
                          on Roe v Wade of course.

Comment

Galway Armagh was great fun, especially the brawl.
                            Some class penalties by Galway.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1721256&d=1656259469&type=thumb The facepalm on the copper lol
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Solks is in I think so there’s 1 spot left.

yes i'm in but for sure if murdrum ( im sure a reg golfer ) wants in i can step down. Let me know murdrum just need to book the time off.

Comment

Really enjoying Glasto coverage. Jack White on at the moment. Unbelievable performance
                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                    Really enjoying Glasto coverage. Jack White on at the moment. Unbelievable performance
                                    Have been enjoying loads of it, always do. Got back from the pub on Friday in time to see TLC which was a bit odd

Only real lowlight was when I first turned it on today and George Ezra was on. A lot of people claim to be able to see music as colours, if they see him as anything other than beige, medical intervention likely required.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Have been enjoying loads of it, always do. Got back from the pub on Friday in time to see TLC which was a bit odd

Only real lowlight was when I first turned it on today and George Ezra was on. A lot of people claim to be able to see music as colours, if they see him as anything other than beige, medical intervention likely required.
                                      Love the 1st AID KIT ladies . Missed them . Anyone see ?

the folk who see music as colours are those perfect pitch freaks. Heard a story of one chap at a meeting driven mad by a train a mile away screeching on the tracks one at C and one at C sharp and the dissonance. How true is anyones guess but id imagine it would kill your enjoyment of anything but concery pitch shows dunno . Relative pitch is enough

Comment

Kendrick Lamar shitting all over the fossil show from last night anyway
                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

This third season of The Umbrella Academy is a bit of a return to form after a dodgy enough second season.
                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Ye ha well done Harrington. The fecking commentators willing him to miss last 3 holes

Eduardo Romero dead .
                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-06-22, 23:28.

Comment

yes i'm in but for sure if murdrum ( im sure a reg golfer ) wants in i can step down. Let me know murdrum just need to book the time off.
                                              Yeah he probably couldn't get the time off anyway he said. Tried to get him to post but think it took too much of his time up
                                              Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

the folk who see music as colours are those perfect pitch freaks. Heard a story of one chap at a meeting driven mad by a train a mile away screeching on the tracks one at C and one at C sharp and the dissonance. How true is anyones guess but id imagine it would kill your enjoyment of anything but concery pitch shows dunno . Relative pitch is enough
                                                absolutely love those girls

we were meant to see les amazones d'afrique in camden last night but they cancelled 2 weeks ago. they must have been invited last minute, but they were performing at glastonbury saturday night

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                  Trump definitely on first name terms with his specific abortion doctor.

The thing I find most interesting that repealing Wade v Roe is largely heralded as a massive step back for society. Where as repealing the 8th in Ireland was largely seen as a massive step forward.

Whereas the effect of both moves was the exact same. I think that sums up the American problem as well as anything could.
                                                  The effect of repealing the 8th amendment and overturning Roe were not the same. On a superficial level it might appear that way, but any nuanced understanding of the legal positions in both states would make it clear this was not the case.

Interesting side note: the 8th amendment was suggested, campaigned for and passed by the electorate almost directly as a result of Roe v Wade.
                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I see Paul Reid finally jumped ship, i'd say the HSE will be some shitshow over the next 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                      I see Paul Reid finally jumped ship, i'd say the HSE will be some shitshow over the next 18 months.
                                                      SF will have it all sorted within 6 months of taking office
                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Wager?
                                                        Whats the timeline?
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

we were meant to see les amazones d'afrique in camden last night but they cancelled 2 weeks ago. they must have been invited last minute, but they were performing at glastonbury saturday night
                                                          Saw them at Primavera this year and caught them a few years back at another festival, absolutely joyous stuff

Comment

Has anyone rented out their family home lately?
                                                            Obviously we would like to cover our mortgage\utilities etc while away but equally so, it is our family home (that we will have just pumped a lot of $$$ into) so more important not to have it fucked up by random peeps, or get into any kind of formal landlordism. So while we could probably get X on the open market, half of X would be acceptable if we knew it was being looked after and that we could move back without getting into any formal tenancy ending stuff.
                                                            Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Dont agree with yoy there Dobby. Hard to improve this structure for a 1 day game. By way of example I wss ko'd in 41st out of 536 after 10 hours of reasonably stacked poker. I am sure the game had at least 7 more hours to a finish.
                                                              Anyhow great to have plenty of poker back(shoul have an IPB game in Sporting Emporium sometime)
                                                              Yeah I disagree as well, if a level doesn't have antes its just a waste of time. So many players think a good structure means a slow start, but its much more important to not rush the levels near the bubble/in the money.

Comment

On that note, a good structure should have a steady drip of players being eliminated. If a huge proportion of people are getting knocked out at one time something is wrong. A typical Fitz tourney years ago would have 1 person knocked in the first hour, and then half the field in 30 mins when the blinds doubled later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                  Obviously we would like to cover our mortgage\utilities etc while away but equally so, it is our family home (that we will have just pumped a lot of $$$ into) so more important not to have it fucked up by random peeps, or get into any kind of formal landlordism. So while we could probably get X on the open market, half of X would be acceptable if we knew it was being looked after and that we could move back without getting into any formal tenancy ending stuff.
                                                                  Any tips?
                                                                  What colour is the house?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Chemical brothers did the same for cork I think
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Bali are soon to have zero tax for foreign workers - https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...sian%20country

I think the next 10 years will be interesting as countries like Ireland have to increasingly tax their ageing population and developing countries trying to entice offshore workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

What colour is the house?
                                                                        brick coloured

Comment

Chemical brothers did the same for cork I think
                                                                          There was a lot of people kicking off about that but they ended up DJing at glastonbury, not doing their full show. Some of their touring crew got covid so couldn't put on the full live show in cork but were able to manage just the two of them playing records

Comment

If someone were commuting from Dundalk to Harcourt a couple of times a week and wanted to park their car for in a suburb before hopping on a bus/luas, where would they stow their car?

Comment

Whats the timeline?
                                                                              Would something like this not need a 60/40 vote in the senate? I know that in some of the guns stuff mentioned recently that they were trying to pass (symbolically because they knew it wouldn't happen) they needed a 60/40 vote to pass the senate, which wouldn't happen, and the same for the abortion stuff perhaps? I don't know what does and doesn't require it though.

However, I'd imagine that most reps are happy enough with states being allowed to legislate on this themselves.

East coast as far down as Virginia, and West coast states should secede from the union and leave the mentalers to look after themselves without all the money the blue states bring in. Obviously won't happen, but let them have their Gilead.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                Proper New York slices of pizza, cracking stuff.
                                                                                Great slice of pizza, but half the size and over twice the price of a new York slice. 50c extra for basil, honey etc. Can't support those prices when you think of the likes of sanos doing an Italian margarita for I think 8e.
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

The effect of repealing the 8th amendment and overturning Roe were not the same. On a superficial level it might appear that way, but any nuanced understanding of the legal positions in both states would make it clear this was not the case.
                                                                                  See my reply to Laz. I was referring to the fact the repealing each defers the matter to state legislatures. The situations they are in are the same. The difference exists solely in prevailing attitudes of the incumbent government, not the action of repeal itself.
                                                                                  By all means explain if I’m overlooking something.

Obliviously the governments in question in the Red Centre are the polar opposites to Ireland 2018. The implication of Roe be very different in ~30 States. I don’t think that particularly nuanced tbh, it’s rather well publicised - and clearly not what I was referring to.

Interesting side note: the 8th amendment was suggested, campaigned for and passed by the electorate almost directly as a result of Roe v Wade.
                                                                                  I heard that before, but not sure if the actual connection. Was it simply a pre-emptive campaign?
                                                                                  Was there also a supreme court case that allowed condoms that scared the church?

Comment

Any tips?
                                                                                    On the 'getting it back' bit, here are some relevant things.

-------------------------------------
                                                                                    - Property needed for landlord/family member

The landlord must provide a signed statutory declaration that they require the property back for their own or a family members use. If for a family member the notice must identify the person and their relationship to the landlord and the expected duration of the occupation. The notice must also inform you that should the property become available to rent again within 12 months then, providing you keep the landlord updated with your contact details you must be offered the tenancy back. You can use the template letter opposite to notify the landlord of your contact details within 28 days of the date of service of the notice and you should keep a record of this in case you need to take further action.
                                                                                    -------------------------------------

The notice period for the above are as follows:
                                                                                    Length of Tenancy Period of Notice
                                                                                    Less than 6 months 28 days
                                                                                    6 months or more, but less than 1 year 90 days
                                                                                    1 year or more but less than 3 years 120 days
                                                                                    3 years or more but less than 7 years 180 days
                                                                                    7 years or more but less than 8 years 196 days
                                                                                    8 or more years 224 days
                                                                                    In terms of not wrecking the gaff, if you are using a letting agent, given them guidelines on what type of renter you want, be it a family, a professional couple or whatever. When I did it a few years ago they gave me a few options. We could have rented it out for more to a series of shorter term tenants who come to work in IBM in Mulhuddart from India, but that increases volatility, which we don't want. Using a letting agent means they go around every 3 months (the one we use do anyway) and take photos. No guarantees though obviously. If you are going off books then unless you know them personally it's dicey legally as you should be registered with the RTB and the taxman.

Comment

I think rd3 is asking if mates rates works in this situation.

Has anyone had a 'trusted' party in as a "Guardian" of the house and in return for a reduced rate reduce their claim over a full 'landlord tenant' relationship?

I do know of people on the other side of that deal absolutely fucking delighted with it, and because they were genuine and trustworthy they really did look after the gaf as if it were there own.

Think ultimately though they could have been a dick and enforced part v rights and locked in the landlord at the reduced rate. Big risk.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

The notice period for the above are as follows:
                                                                                        Length of Tenancy Period of Notice
                                                                                        Less than 6 months 28 days
                                                                                        6 months or more, but less than 1 year 90 days
                                                                                        1 year or more but less than 3 years 120 days
                                                                                        3 years or more but less than 7 years 180 days
                                                                                        7 years or more but less than 8 years 196 days
                                                                                        8 or more years 224 days
                                                                                        Seems fair up to 3 years but anything less than a years notice after 7 years is very unfair on tenants IMO

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Would something like this not need a 60/40 vote in the senate? I know that in some of the guns stuff mentioned recently that they were trying to pass (symbolically because they knew it wouldn't happen) they needed a 60/40 vote to pass the senate, which wouldn't happen, and the same for the abortion stuff perhaps? I don't know what does and doesn't require it though.

However, I'd imagine that most reps are happy enough with states being allowed to legislate on this themselves.

East coast as far down as Virginia, and West coast states should secede from the union and leave the mentalers to look after themselves without all the money the blue states bring in. Obviously won't happen, but let them have their Gilead.
                                                                                          Alito's decision was that it's not the place of the Supreme Court to decide matters like abortion, that it should be left up to the individual states to decide for themselves. Alternatively the federal government should legislate what the States can and cannot do, and then the Supreme Court can then rule on the constitutionality of that legislation. The current crop of Dems haven't a hope of getting any laws like that passed, but abortions in the US will still only be a bus ride away for most. No doubt a future Republican government will try to pass a federal law banning abortion, which is equally unpopular, so really a constitutional amendment is needed to prevent that. That's where you need the supermajority in both houses.
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

See my reply to Laz. I was referring to the fact the repealing each defers the matter to state legislatures. The situations they are in are the same. The difference exists solely in prevailing attitudes of the incumbent government, not the action of repeal itself.
                                                                                            By all means explain if I’m overlooking something.
                                                                                            There's two elements to it really. Imagine it like this. Two people are walking in the opposite direction on the same street and bump into each other. At that precise moment they occupy the same space and are in the same position. But how they got there and where they are going are diametrically opposed and so you cannot say, even in that moment, that they are the same. It is much the same for Roe v 8th. How Roe came to be, how it was damaged and ultimately ended are important factors in considering its effect. It didn't just leave it up to the States. It immediately made abortion illegal. Instantly in 8 States and shortly thereafter in another 13. It is also a jumping off point for a broader attack on other procedural rights in the US Constitution.

By contrast the repeal of the 8th did not make abortion legal instantly. It just removed the barrier to legality. It was not a jumping off point for any other issues, it did not weaken a broader doctrine in Irish law, it had no tangible effect other than removing a constitutional prohibition. This may seem like nit-picking but it's also important to bear in mind that explicitly removing a barrier by democratic mandate and removing a right by judicial pronouncement have vastly different democratic effects. One gives legitimacy not only to the amendment but also to the subsequent legislative changes which provide for what the amendment attempted to achieve. By contrast there is no such democratic mandate or legitimacy to removing a constitutional right by judicial opinion. If anything it undermines the rule of law. It is precisely why the doctrine of stare decisis is so important. It also leaves the legal regulation of the previously protected right in an unusual place, since each polity must then consider the broader question of how to address provision for abortion on a political level absent an existing and recognised right.

I heard that before, but not sure if the actual connection. Was it simply a pre-emptive campaign?
                                                                                            Was there also a supreme court case that allowed condoms that scared the church?
                                                                                            At roughly the same time that the Warren Court in the US delivered Griswold v Conneticut the Irish Courts had started to become increasingly influenced by the "unenumerated rights" doctrine espoused by that court. A number of decisions such as Ryan v The Attorney General (linked) began to explore the concept of privacy and bodily integrity as unspecified rights which could be found in the Irish Constitution.

Then, in 1973 the US Supreme Court delivered its opinion in Roe v Wade. The decision turned on the concept of privacy and how a right to an abortion fell within that right under the 14th Amendment. In 1974 the Irish Supreme Court delivered it's judgment in McGee v The Attorney General which held that contraception for married couples could not be made illegal as it offended against the right to marital privacy.

This set alarm bells off among a small and rather fringe group of Irish Catholics who felt that the Irish Supreme Court was going to deliver its own version of Roe and legalise abortion despite the Irish court explicitly stating in a judgment that it would not and could not do so within the Irish constitutional framework. Nevertheless rumblings continued until, in 1981, the Pro-Life Amendment Campaign (PLAC) began a wide scale push for what would become the 8th amendment. The PLAC were formed to lobby Irish political parties in the run up to the 1981 election. This was Haughey's first election as Taoiseach off the back of Jack Lynch's historic 1977 victory. There was no way Haughey would hold an overall majority and so Labour, FG and FF all were desperate to grab any support they could. All three party leaders agreed to hold a referendum if elected. We all know what happened next.

So, from a US Supreme Court decision on abortion, through an Irish Supreme Court decision on condoms for a Loughshinny woman and her husband, via the paranoia of Christian lobbyists, we got the 8th Amendment.

Comment

Whats the timeline?
                                                                                              5 years

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                But abortions in the US will still only be a bus ride away for most.
                                                                                                In much the same way Moscow is only a bus ride away for someone from Kerry?

Comment

. Using a letting agent means they go around every 3 months (the one we use do anyway) and take photos. No guarantees though obviously. If you are going off books then unless you know them personally it's dicey legally as you should be registered with the RTB and the taxman.
                                                                                                  In all my time I've never had an agent visit or inspect the place. Must just look trustworthy or had lazy agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                    I think rd3 is asking if mates rates works in this situation.

Has anyone had a 'trusted' party in as a "Guardian" of the house and in return for a reduced rate reduce their claim over a full 'landlord tenant' relationship?

I do know of people on the other side of that deal absolutely fucking delighted with it, and because they were genuine and trustworthy they really did look after the gaf as if it were there own.

Think ultimately though they could have been a dick and enforced part v rights and locked in the landlord at the reduced rate. Big risk.
                                                                                                    Yes, pretty much that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                      On that note, a good structure should have a steady drip of players being eliminated. If a huge proportion of people are getting knocked out at one time something is wrong. A typical Fitz tourney years ago would have 1 person knocked in the first hour, and then half the field in 30 mins when the blinds doubled later on.
                                                                                                      This may or may not be intentional to get cash games going though
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

In much the same way Moscow is only a bus ride away for someone from Kerry?
                                                                                                        And, if you're not careful, you might get arrested and thrown in jail for taking that bus ride...

Comment

Something like 1 in 10,000 people have perfect pitch.

But it can be taught to anyone if you start before 2

A guy took a class of kids, and trained them all to have perfect pitch. It took varying amounts of time but they could all get it.

Comment

And, if you're not careful, you might get arrested and thrown in jail for taking that bus ride...
                                                                                                            Not unintentional in my choice of destination

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

This may or may not be intentional to get cash games going though
                                                                                                              Its worse for cash games as its a lot better to have a steady trickle of people from early than half the field arriving at 10pm

Comment

Striking contrast between the UK and Irish citizenship ceremonies with the UK ones populated mostly by resentful Europeans having been being forced to spend hundreds of pounds to jump through bureaucratic hoops including having to pass an absolutely insane quiz where you need to know shite like what year the battle of Bosworth field cricketing terms and loads of other really esoteric shite about Parliament.
                                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

There's two elements to it really. Imagine it like this. Two people are walking in the opposite direction on the same street and bump into each other. At that precise moment they occupy the same space and are in the same position. But how they got there and where they are going are diametrically opposed and so you cannot say, even in that moment, that they are the same. It is much the same for Roe v 8th. How Roe came to be, how it was damaged and ultimately ended are important factors in considering its effect. It didn't just leave it up to the States. It immediately made abortion illegal. Instantly in 8 States and shortly thereafter in another 13. It is also a jumping off point for a broader attack on other procedural rights in the US Constitution.
                                                                                                                  Well I clearly acknowledged that the trajectory of each was entirely different, and subsequent trigger laws created opposite net effects. But the point was, clearly, that the opportunity created by each repeal was freedom to legislate as they see fit.

It was a comment on the state of America at the minute, and not suggesting the last (and next) 5 years have been the same on abortion or civil rights.

To use your example, the two people were released and were free to walk down the street whichever way they liked - but went opposite ways and bumped into each other.

By contrast the repeal of the 8th did not make abortion legal instantly. It just removed the barrier to legality. It was not a jumping off point for any other issues, it did not weaken a broader doctrine in Irish law, it had no tangible effect other than removing a constitutional prohibition.

This may seem like nit-picking but it's also important to bear in mind that explicitly removing a barrier by democratic mandate and removing a right by judicial pronouncement have vastly different democratic effects.
                                                                                                                  Well if we’re being precise. Repealing Roe didn’t make anything illegal. Trigger laws that were prepared in advance of it’s repeal did. I don’t think that distinction is something you would fail to point out. The decision was leaked months in advance and many states had laws signed, or ready to sign.
                                                                                                                  Worth pointing out that while some banned it, others restricted it, and despite that those states are still more liberal than Ireland’s celebrate position. If a state in the US was to copy Ireland’s law, it would be one of the more restrictive.

And for the sake of completeness. Many states also have laws in place to protect abortion should Roe be repealed. Some of which have strengthen those laws to protect the rights of people forced to travel, others now have more liberal access to abortion (5 or 6 states now permit abortion at any stage of pregnancy)

Some states could take the opportunity to introduce constitutional protection for abortion. A number are on the fence. At least one will go to the polls on the matter.

One gives legitimacy not only to the amendment but also to the subsequent legislative changes which provide for what the amendment attempted to achieve. By contrast there is no such democratic mandate or legitimacy to removing a constitutional right by judicial opinion. If anything it undermines the rule of law. It is precisely why the doctrine of stare decisis is so important. It also leaves the legal regulation of the previously protected right in an unusual place, since each polity must then consider the broader question of how to address provision for abortion on a political level absent an existing and recognised right.
                                                                                                                  I completely agree that the Irish system of referenda is much more democratic and contemporary​​​​​​. it stops us getting stuck in the past. Our own Supreme Court’s has held judicial opinions on the subject that are now seen as pretty out of touch.

The system where decisions on millions are left to 9 individuals, who places are decided by a morbid game of musical chair is frankly bizarre.

But the state powers that put these trigger laws in place were elected democratically. Not the same as voting directly, but If they went to the polls prior to introducing these laws, would that have added legitimacy?
                                                                                                                  As I said least one is doing that,Kansas iirc.

At roughly the same time that the Warren Court in the US delivered Griswold v Conneticut the Irish Courts had started to become increasingly influenced by the "unenumerated rights" doctrine espoused by that court. A number of decisions such as Ryan v The Attorney General (linked) began to explore the concept of privacy and bodily integrity as unspecified rights which could be found in the Irish Constitution.

Then, in 1973 the US Supreme Court delivered its opinion in Roe v Wade. The decision turned on the concept of privacy and how a right to an abortion fell within that right under the 14th Amendment. In 1974 the Irish Supreme Court delivered it's judgment in McGee v The Attorney General which held that contraception for married couples could not be made illegal as it offended against the right to marital privacy.

This set alarm bells off among a small and rather fringe group of Irish Catholics who felt that the Irish Supreme Court was going to deliver its own version of Roe and legalise abortion despite the Irish court explicitly stating in a judgment that it would not and could not do so within the Irish constitutional framework. Nevertheless rumblings continued until, in 1981, the Pro-Life Amendment Campaign (PLAC) began a wide scale push for what would become the 8th amendment. The PLAC were formed to lobby Irish political parties in the run up to the 1981 election. This was Haughey's first election as Taoiseach off the back of Jack Lynch's historic 1977 victory. There was no way Haughey would hold an overall majority and so Labour, FG and FF all were desperate to grab any support they could. All three party leaders agreed to hold a referendum if elected. We all know what happened next.

So, from a US Supreme Court decision on abortion, through an Irish Supreme Court decision on condoms for a Loughshinny woman and her husband, via the paranoia of Christian lobbyists, we got the 8th Amendment.
                                                                                                                  Thanks for that. It’s quite interesting.

I noted before that I was surprised Roe passed on privacy, when the 14th also contained references to the right to life. But perhaps that why the 8th was so explicited. Compared to more vague centuries old American language.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Mellor; 28-06-22, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                    Striking contrast between the UK and Irish citizenship ceremonies with the UK ones populated mostly by resentful Europeans having been being forced to spend hundreds of pounds to jump through bureaucratic hoops including having to pass an absolutely insane quiz where you need to know shite like what year the battle of Bosworth field cricketing terms and loads of other really esoteric shite about Parliament.
                                                                                                                    Seems like an excellent system imo. I'd probably get elevated straight to the House of Lords.

Comment

fuck. 1,000 people inside the shopping centre according to Zelenskky. Like having a bomb strike Dundrum Shopping Centre.
                                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                        fuck. 1,000 people inside the shopping centre according to Zelenskky. Like having a bomb strike Dundrum Shopping Centre.
                                                                                                                        Sadly only a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of civilians murdered in Mariupol by the fascists.

Anyone whining about the price of diesel btw should be shown those pictures for a bit of perspective...

Comment

Seems like an excellent system imo. I'd probably get elevated straight to the House of Lords.
                                                                                                                          Was passing by Boris' gaff there recently on a trip across the water. Couldn't contain myself and had to say how big of a prick the lad is that was in number 10 (for the moment at least).

The missus didn't get it initially as she's from Brazil and wouldn't know where we were. However, any of her crowd that has an interest in English language culture thinks it's a magical little place of Harry Potter, The Beatles, and Afternoon Tea. When you point out that they were just the same as their colonial compatriots in Portugal, the tune changes fairly rapidly from initial sympathy to empathetic fury . I'll give them one thing, The Tube is simply class. I wish someone in charge had the stomach to force the issue in the past. It really should have been done in the immediacy of the GFC. Would have been some boon for work and trade for a decade on that project.

On the topic of citizenship, I wonder how many of us would have the stomach to pass the citizenship test for the Netherlands? Leaving cert A1 equivalent fluency in Dutch is the primary requirement. My mate's English wife went for Irish citizenship pre-brexit as she was afraid of her life of Boris/Tory rug-pulling post Brexit. She actually could have had ancestral Polish nationality but it required a fair whack of work. She said the Irish process was very much a "good egg" test by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X