This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    If one was to go to the Dublin Horse Show, what day would give the most entertainment to easily-bored kids, and easily-bored adults? Ideally not finale day as it will be packed. The website programme seems highly complicated with a million different activities every day. Thought I remember some sort of thing where the riders take turns to run around a ring jumping over things and there is some sort of jump-off at the end.

https://www.dublinhorseshow.com/
    Friday normally the best day due to the Aga Khan been run
    Saturdays Grand Prix day was also a good family day out

Comment

Anyone else noticing the increase in food prices.
      Had kind of noticed it in a vague way that I was spending more without checking individual prices.
      Bought some lunch ham ...it had gone from €2.79 on Mon to €3.15 on Wed.
      Petrol varying in price in Dublin from 2.09 to 2.21 in Dublin
      Really noticing the difference in mileage now from last year.

Customer asking me re energy contract "will the bills be higher?" This was after I had laid out that prices had over doubled since last year and why.

If Putin restricts supply even further coming into Winter we will probably see rationing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

I imagine that less than 1% of Britain has any idea who he is. Will whoosh right over everyone's heads.
        a sizable portion will go Irish revolutionary = Same people who did a bombing campaign in the 90s.
        Last night was a good example of the level of swivel eyed loonery that passes as political discourse in the uk
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

I imagine that less than 1% of Britain has any idea who he is. Will whoosh right over everyone's heads.
          When i was a kid my pen pal was my cousin in Nottingham (mudder made me scriobh as his Dad died suddenly) .despite my clarifications many times. He always congratulated me when Northern Ireland won at the footie .

Comment

Great pic of Maccers Dad and son.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
              Had kind of noticed it in a vague way that I was spending more without checking individual prices.

Customer asking me re energy contract "will the bills be higher?" This was after I had laid out that prices had over doubled since last year and why.

If Putin restricts supply even further coming into Winter we will probably see rationing here.
              the only thing that resonated with me there was 'lunch ham'
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Some politician got roasted (like a good ham) alive for suggesting shopping in Aldi/Lidl earlier in the year, but he wasn't wrong. Their control of supply chains would give them a lot more certainty over pricing. Even if they obv won't be immune to general cost increases. I've noticed a massive price difference recently between them and the local Tesco. Like a tenner per €50 shop type of price difference. Can never remember which one of them is the good supermarket (Lidl?) and which is the cheap knock-off one, but the quality in the good one is far better than whatever brand-crap that Tesco sells.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Elevensies!! Making myself a ham and coleslaw roll now......nom nom nom

Comment

Queeny Lizzy spotted out riding Hitch.
                    SPOILER
                    I mean just on a horse, I am recalling your dead by Sept bantz
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Random thing of the day. Went to my first concert in 1992, then my second in 2002 then my third in 2012 and today I'm off to my fourth.

Comment

I bought a jar of pesto yesterday and noticed it had gone from 3-something to 4-something.

Might be time to start making my own

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                          Random thing of the day. Went to my first concert in 1992, then my second in 2002 then my third in 2012 and today I'm off to my fourth.
                          same band or someone new?

is it Harry Styles you are going to see

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Prob the eagles

Comment

Avoslocker is just about as bad a thing that can happen in a business. Just don't be clicking those links, it's unbelievable the havoc that can be wreaked by one click. Heading into week 3 and we are starting to bring stuff back online, looking at weeks before its business as usual. Some extraordinary work going on by the people at the frontline

The bad lads are very active and expanding their range of targets. Anyone with a complex IT structure is at risk and should be highly vigilant.

carefulouttherememe800x450.jpg
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Avoslocker is just about as bad a thing that can happen in a business. Just don't be clicking those links, it's unbelievable the havoc that can be wreaked by one click. Heading into week 3 and we are starting to bring stuff back online, looking at weeks before its business as usual. Some extraordinary work going on by the people at the frontline

The bad lads are very active and expanding their range of targets. Anyone with a complex IT structure is at risk and should be highly vigilant.
                                Are there big consequences in that situation for the person who does the click?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Are there big consequences in that situation for the person who does the click?
                                  Probably depends on who it was
                                  I don't really expect there to be its a very human mistake and the CEO and exec team we have are IMO genuine quality so I hope that wouldn't be their MO. Obviously it's important it is identified and understood but the real problem is that once in the door they were able to find a path through. AFAIK the forensics aren't complete yet but in an environment where you are running so many disparate systems once they are in they are going to find a way.
                                  I heard there was a government expert in and his key point that they hold all the cards in terms of zero day exploits, tools to identify unpatched or improperly configured systems etc. basically once they are in you are fckd.
                                  Absolute goldmine for the infosec people.
                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 24-06-22, 13:47.

Comment

Listening to the latest episodes of the All-In Podcast and they seem to all agree that it is clear the sanctions against Russia will not and have not worked. They have contributed to the current problems felt very heavily in Europe while allowing Russia to black channel energy at hugely inflated prices. Russia's ruble hit its strongest level in 7 years despite massive sanctions. By denying the ability to invest in Russian companies we played into Putin's hands by essentially allowing him to Nationalise some of its biggest money-printing companies. There is more that I can't recall but they all seemed to be on the same page that sanctions have been an unmitigated disaster. I don't have the knowledge to take much of a considered view but it's the first time I am hearing most of this and found it quite surprising.

This twitter thread gives some of the key quotes from Putin's speech yesterday in which he very much sounds like he is pushing the same narrative that they have come out far, far the better.

Comment

ould run a book on what the four gigs

We should run a competition on what the four gigs were?

Comment

I LOL'd

Comment

Congrats and hard luck to GAB going out in 14th place in the WSOP 8 handed Omaha.

Comment

Charged up the car there. Charge it during daylight now to take advantage of solar. Although that's a highly seasonal thing. Cost €5 to charge 150 kilometres of range - 3.5c a kilometre, which according to these outdated and therefore low-cost estimates from AA is an absolute pittance compared to putting petrol in the car (their most efficient car is estimated at 10c a kilometre for petrol).

I say this purely to note that those cost benefits are going to absolutely destroy the fuel car market. There's probably never been a cost advantage quite like that in terms of what is supposed to be just an evolution of a product, for something that is such a major household cost.

Comment

Charged up the car there. Charge it during daylight now to take advantage of solar. Although that's a highly seasonal thing. Cost €5 to charge 150 kilometres of range - 3.5c a kilometre, which according to these outdated and therefore low-cost estimates from AA is an absolute pittance compared to putting petrol in the car (their most efficient car is estimated at 10c a kilometre for petrol).

I say this purely to note that those cost benefits are going to absolutely destroy the fuel car market. There's probably never been a cost advantage quite like that in terms of what is supposed to be just an evolution of a product, for something that is such a major household cost.
                                              Prices of lithium have been sky high, and likely will only get higher given the supply constraint on the market. EV's are going to get increasingly more expensive until that problem is solved (and its being somewhat ignored for the most part).
                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Congrats and hard luck to GAB going out in 14th place in the WSOP 8 handed Omaha.
                                                WP indeed

btw I get 6-handed vs 9-handed, but why would you need a separate 8-handed format? Is this a relatively new thing and is there some deeper thinking behind it?
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

WP indeed

btw I get 6-handed vs 9-handed, but why would you need a separate 8-handed format? Is this a relatively new thing and is there some deeper thinking behind it?
                                                  I think 8 handed us standard for Omaha.

Well other than the short/6 handed games

Comment

Have the Roe v Wade riots started yet?
                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                      Its a Long Run

Comment

You sure it was him and not his alter-ego/online persona?

Comment

Thats brutally retrograde in the US. Its some democracy where the main power seems to lie with a small group of unelected people put in office by lobbyists. Once again, thank fuck for living in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                            Listening to the latest episodes of the All-In Podcast and they seem to all agree that it is clear the sanctions against Russia will not and have not worked. They have contributed to the current problems felt very heavily in Europe while allowing Russia to black channel energy at hugely inflated prices. Russia's ruble hit its strongest level in 7 years despite massive sanctions. By denying the ability to invest in Russian companies we played into Putin's hands by essentially allowing him to Nationalise some of its biggest money-printing companies. There is more that I can't recall but they all seemed to be on the same page that sanctions have been an unmitigated disaster. I don't have the knowledge to take much of a considered view but it's the first time I am hearing most of this and found it quite surprising.

This twitter thread gives some of the key quotes from Putin's speech yesterday in which he very much sounds like he is pushing the same narrative that they have come out far, far the better.
                                                            I'm a big fan of that podcast!

There's a lot of truth to what they are saying, but they overegged it a little.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                              These old white republicans do realise there will now be more black people...

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I bought a jar of pesto yesterday and noticed it had gone from 3-something to 4-something.

Might be time to start making my own
                                                                The problem with that It's more expensive to make your own, alsoinitely better to make your own

Just made a bit there and

Basil virtually free if you grow your own but most of the year you'd need two plants from supermarket at 1.50 per plant

Lets say 1.50 because they are big at the moment
                                                                50 g pine nuts 1.75
                                                                50g good parmesan 1.25
                                                                200ml good olive oil 3

thats 7.50 and worth every penny

Comment

The problem with that It's more expensive to make your own, alsoinitely better to make your own

Just made a bit there and

Basil virtually free if you grow your own but most of the year you'd need two plants from supermarket at 1.50 per plant

Lets say 1.50 because they are big at the moment
                                                                  50 g pine nuts 1.75
                                                                  50g good parmesan 1.25
                                                                  200ml good olive oil 3

thats 7.50 and worth every penny
                                                                  Yesterdays harvest, supermarket plant.

PXL-20220622-134616148.jpg

This too shall pass.

Comment

Am back home soon and have booked a round at Palmerstown House for the 5th July at 3pm.

Myself and Coillcam in so far, my oul lad can’t make it and my buddies are non golfer losers.

Would happily make it an IPB foursome if lads here wanted to jump in?

Switch? Brady ( if you are lurking?)? Elbows? Solks?

edit: and any golfers who I’m not aware of. All welcome.
                                                                    Last edited by Theresa; 24-06-22, 16:59.
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I have a flight at 11am tomorrow from terminal one. What time do I need to get there at?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                        I have a flight at 11am tomorrow from terminal one. What time do I need to get there at?
                                                                        You're already late

Comment

But seriously, news on the radio today said security Q is back down to 30mins to get through so assume getting there for 9am would be fine

Comment

Two hours before at a maximum. You don't have fast pass, I take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                              Am back home soon and have booked a round at Palmerstown House for the 5th July at 3pm.

Myself and Coillcam in so far, my oul lad can’t make it and my buddies are non golfer losers.

Would happily make it an IPB foursome if lads here wanted to jump in?

Switch? Brady ( if you are lurking?)? Elbows? Solks?

edit: and any golfers who I’m not aware of. All welcome.
                                                                              If none of the others (proper golfers) take you up , i'll happily take a slot . Great course . It will only be my 2nd game of 2022 but dont worry i can get it off the tbox. (And im fast)

Get me ready for the LIV seniors tour .

Comment

Old men making decisions about young women. I wonder if they realise the handmaids tale is fiction ?
                                                                                Last edited by Solksjaer!; 24-06-22, 17:17.

Comment

Two hours before at a maximum. You don't have fast pass, I take it.
                                                                                  You mean minimum
                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I'm a big fan of that podcast!

There's a lot of truth to what they are saying, but they overegged it a little
                                                                                    Been listening to it for ages and always find the discussions enjoyable. I do often find they can at least in my eyes be a little divorced from reality arguing from their ivory towers which I often find a little jarring especially Chamuth is guilty of this imo but on the flip side, they do often challenge my own perception of topics and for the most part, they are just four smart guys sitting around chatting shit about a range of topics which I find interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Prob the eagles
                                                                                      Take it easy will ye

Comment

Take it easy will ye

Comment

Generations ago Still not sure I've gone full Glinner, though definitely in the oldster wtf is reality cohort https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/...-trans-issues/

generations ago there were two genders, there were two sexes, there still are two sexes but today I think we have probably nine genders. That doesn’t diminish any other gender within the gender identity set

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

You mean minimum
                                                                                            They won't let you more than two hours before, I think?

Comment

- Graeme mcdowell- ugh
                                                                                              Asked specifically how golf is helping repressed groups in Saudi Arabia, McDowell added: “I wish I had the ability to be able to have that conversation with you.
                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1721154&d=1656101417&type=thumb
                                                                                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Yup. As I said before the first rule of sanctions is that they must hurt the opponent more than you. Anything that hurts the West makes Russia stronger relatively speaking. It's Putin's easiest way of improving Russia position as opposed to sorting out their stagnating economy. They have been behind a slew of destabilising hybrid attacks over the last few years possibly resulting in disasters like Trump and Brexit.

What surprises me most is the West not having well gamed out playbooks for Val's limited number of possible moves. The response to Ukraine seemed to have been formulated on the fly without enough thought given to the likely implications.

I guess that 'The West' isn't a coherent entity is an obvious weakness.
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Been listening to it for ages and always find the discussions enjoyable. I do often find they can at least in my eyes be a little divorced from reality arguing from their ivory towers which I often find a little jarring especially Chamuth is guilty of this imo but on the flip side, they do often challenge my own perception of topics and for the most part, they are just four smart guys sitting around chatting shit about a range of topics which I find interesting.
                                                                                                      Tried listening to this a while back, probably gave it 10 episodes, can't do it. Chamath is a cockhead. The rest of them are just rich wankers too.

Comment

Generations ago Still not sure I've gone full Glinner, though definitely in the oldster wtf is reality cohort https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/...-trans-issues/
                                                                                                        9 you say? Can you hold more that one simultaneously?

Name(s): stargender
                                                                                                        Has several meanings. A: "a person whose gender is otherworldly and beyond comprehension using earthly terms", B. "a person whose gender cannot be defined no matter how many other terms are created", C. "a person whose gender is that of a star"

Name(s): pringender, princessgender, princegender
                                                                                                        "A soft but grandiose gender; The individual with this gender feels that their identity feels majestic, imposing and grand, but also prim, cute and ethereal", or a gender simply related to princes/princesses/prins.

Name(s): faegender
                                                                                                        "When an individual’s gender changes with the seasons, equinoxes, and moon phases."

Name(s): cadensgender
                                                                                                        "A gender that's easily influenced by music.

Name(s): Astralgender.
                                                                                                        A gender that feels connected to space.

Name(s): anonbinary
                                                                                                        A gender that isn't binary, but is even outside of nonbinaryness.

Name(s): Aliengender.
                                                                                                        A gender that is an interpretation of a gender or genders, from a nonhuman perspective. may or may not like to fit into a gender and adopt a gender, but in a sort of ‘alien trying out foreign species’s gender’ way. Can be combined with relevant genders

A hundred or so here...

Comment

Tried listening to this a while back, probably gave it 10 episodes, can't do it. Chamath is a cockhead. The rest of them are just rich wankers too.
                                                                                                          Rory making Theresa cranky.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Rory making Theresa cranky.
                                                                                                            Crankier.

Comment

Completely get that point of view. Friedberg though? He doesn't come across douchy and always just seems to talk about nerdy cool science stuff. I have got genuinely angry listening to Chamath on certain topics but as I said listening to those viewpoints rather than ignoring them is probably a good thing cause it is outside of my normal bubble and some of the conversations while jarring do have generally a good deal of substance because they are well informed and close to many of the current affairs topics. Jason can sound quite douchy at times but his heart seems in the right place from the viewpoints I have seen him express. I have often thought that that is is quite odd that I enjoy it as much as I do because in general, I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

9 you say? Can you hold more that one simultaneously?
                                                                                                                I've tried reading some of the arguments, though I usually end up in Tim Dillon territory

Comment

Comment

Listening to Chamath and Jason Calacanis would be idea of hell.

Chamath must be great for the game judging by how the guys treated him on HSP

Comment

This conversation has none of the sophistication of Derry Girls but give it 40 minutes and reflect for a while on how some of the ideas might have resonance and amplicons for an Ireland where the GFA has institutionalized sectarianism and SF/IRA are commanding us to forget the past and not to question what possible harm could come of having a man who is the most prolific mass murderer alive in the British Isles as a government minister.

Last Monday's Start The Week

Well worth a listen IMO, I guarantee RDIII will be salivating at the tales the Israeli guy is telling and will have his book ordered before the program finishes but it's Philippe Sands that I find compelling.
                                                                                                                      Listened to this earlier on a run (put it on last night at bedtime but lasted 5 mins) and really enjoyed it.

Thank you. Just bought Ronen Bergman's book, fascinated. Mainly want to find out what Mossad had to offer Otto Skorzeny, he fucking teased with that one.

Meh, could google it.

Sounds like a fascinating read.
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Whenever I have seen Chamath play he is one of the biggest nits at the table. I'd say it is more to do with the games they can possibly access through him.

Seems to be some seriously large buy-in events at the WSOP this year. I don't remember the WSOP always having such buy-ins. Daniel is down always a million in this series already. 500k of that does come from firing two bullets in the 250k. He said 3 out of the 4 players ahead of him registering for the 250k were recreationals which seems kinda crazy. Apparently, the Colossus had like 10k players trying to reg to play one of the flights today and they can't seat them all. Live Poker at all levels in America seems to be booming.

Comment

They won't let you more than two hours before, I think?
                                                                                                                          Am sticking to minimum of 2 hours though based on what I am reading in the news
                                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X